PDA

View Full Version : Cubs send Zambrano to the pen

Yanks1976
04-21-10, 05:28 PM
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. I guess the Yankees don't have the highest paid reliever in baseball anymore...

http://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/12596379217

delv
04-21-10, 06:07 PM
we still have the highest paid minor league though. YESSSSSSSS

hornedfrog1985
04-21-10, 06:14 PM
Doesn't he make like 18 million this year?

kan_t
04-21-10, 06:15 PM
$17.875M middle reliever.

PinstripePride
04-21-10, 06:18 PM
Really with this? I know his WHIP was very high last year, but he was still a good SP. Why the overreaction? I haven't been following.

kan_t
04-21-10, 06:21 PM
The Cubs move Zambrano to the bullpen and Carlos Silva still has a spot in the rotation.

Repeat.

The Cubs move Zambrano to the bullpen and Carlos Silva still has a spot in the rotation.

snarkerella
04-21-10, 06:22 PM
Really with this? I know his WHIP was very high last year, but he was still a good SP. Why the overreaction? I haven't been following.

Lilly's coming back and they planned for one of their starters to go to the bullpen when he did. Still, Zambrano wasn't the best choice when Carlos Silva is starting games for the Cubs...

delv
04-21-10, 06:29 PM
:lol:

PirateChief
04-21-10, 06:41 PM
Smfh!!!!! absolutely ridiculous!!!

Yankeeah
04-21-10, 06:43 PM
It's probably to wake him up. He's been a headcase his whole career. Lou is probably sending a message.

groovitude
04-21-10, 10:01 PM
My brain just imploded.

bigjf
04-21-10, 10:51 PM
Classic Lou!

BronxBaumer
04-22-10, 04:19 AM
Aaron Boone likes it!

R.V.47
04-22-10, 09:00 AM
The amount of bad contracts on the Cubs is pretty amazing. Cant fault them so much for Zambrano though, guy looked like a sure fire ace. Paying him 18 mill to be in the pen and not even close is ridiculous.

Dog Named Fred
04-22-10, 09:06 AM
I think it's safe to say that Lou Piniella has either 1) lost his mind or 2) given up on the Cubs.

delv
04-22-10, 10:30 AM
The amount of bad contracts on the Cubs is pretty amazing. Cant fault them so much for Zambrano though, guy looked like a sure fire ace. Paying him 18 mill to be in the pen and not even close is ridiculous.

I don't get it. He's never put up an ERA above 4 and he has a .631 OPS as a hitter. Sounds pretty good to me.

bigjf
04-22-10, 10:55 AM
I think it's safe to say that Lou Piniella has either 1) lost his mind or 2) given up on the Cubs.

I think 3) He's trying to get himself fired.

TheInfallibleOne
04-22-10, 11:49 AM
Big Z has taken very kindly to it. Probably because his money is guaranteed and he wont get another big contract after this. He probably sees it as less work

BronxYanks45
04-22-10, 02:48 PM
didn't the Cubs want Igawa?

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-22-10, 04:37 PM
It's probably to wake him up. He's been a headcase his whole career. Lou is probably sending a message.

I would hope this is the case. Lou is too smart to leave Silva in the rotation over Zambrano.

DontHateOnNumber2
04-23-10, 03:11 PM
didn't the Cubs want Igawa?

Are you serious? When did the Cubs want Igawa?

BronxYanks45
04-24-10, 09:40 AM
Are you serious? When did the Cubs want Igawa?

way back in Jan a post on MLBTR confirmed by Ken R, said that the Cubs were interested in Igawa. Have no clue why anyone would want him

delv
04-24-10, 06:03 PM
way back in Jan a post on MLBTR confirmed by Ken R, said that the Cubs were interested in Igawa. Have no clue why anyone would want him

did not know this. you'd think that igawa plus fukudome's struggles would combine to cause a spike in hate crimes in chicago.

Yanks1976
06-26-10, 02:01 PM
And now he is suspended indefinitely after a(nother) temper tantrum in the Cubs dugout yesterday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0626-sider-cubs-city-series-ch20100625,0,128485.story

False1
06-26-10, 03:54 PM
Derek Lee should have gone Bruce Lee on his a$$.

NelsonMuntz
06-26-10, 10:23 PM
He's becoming a joke. What a waste of talent.

Beyle
06-26-10, 11:23 PM
He's becoming a joke. What a waste of talent.

See, I've always felt that way about the entire team. :dunno:

Dave B
06-26-10, 11:59 PM
See, I've always felt that way about the entire team. :dunno:
They're not that talented.

I love it though. What's even better is now the Sox are starting to contend (it's just a tease, of course, as they're even more incompetently managed, but still...).

They should just cut Z. He's a piece of sh-t. I don't care how much they owe him. They're worse with him than without him.

And the game has passed Lou by too. He has no control of anyone on that team. He should save himself the embarrassment and just resign.

Beyle
06-27-10, 02:03 PM
I love it though. What's even better is now the Sox are starting to contend (it's just a tease, of course, as they're even more incompetently managed, but still...).

I know. Cubs fans get even pissier when the White Sox show signs of "life" in their play. As you mentioned, however, it's usually a short-lived phenomenon. :lol:

The White Sox management issues aren't any better. I'm curious to see how that situation (with Guillen and Reinsdorf) pans out.

The Cubs should have canned Z already. He's a headcase and really, they don't play much better when he's in the game.

And the game has passed Lou by too. He has no control of anyone on that team. He should save himself the embarrassment and just resign.

No kidding. Lou looks bored . . . like he's waiting for the shuffleboard tournament to start.

DontHateOnNumber2
06-28-10, 03:35 PM
No kidding. Lou looks bored . . . like he's waiting for the shuffleboard tournament to start.

Though it seemed like there would be quite a bit of talent on the team when he first signed on, I don't think that was the only reason he joined up. One of those "managing a respected organization with a rich tradition" type of thing. The only difference between him managing the Yankees and him managing the Cubs is that New York has a tradition of winning. Lord knows he's going crazy considering how bad he wants to win.

Dave B
06-28-10, 05:42 PM
Though it seemed like there would be quite a bit of talent on the team when he first signed on, I don't think that was the only reason he joined up. One of those "managing a respected organization with a rich tradition" type of thing. The only difference between him managing the Yankees and him managing the Cubs is that New York has a tradition of winning. Lord knows he's going crazy considering how bad he wants to win.

If he truly wanted to win so badly he would not have signed with Tampa or with Chicago.

YankeePride1967
06-28-10, 06:51 PM
Zambrano to be placed on the restricted list:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/cubs-to-place-zambrano-on-restricted-list.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Beyle
06-28-10, 09:37 PM
If he truly wanted to win so badly he would not have signed with Tampa or with Chicago.

I agree.

I'm not exactly sure what's going through Lou's mind. He just strikes me as bored.

Dave B
06-28-10, 10:10 PM
See, I think it's possible that he took those last two jobs to avoid the boredom of retirement. There's a lot of things you can call these Cubs, but boring isn't one of them. I think it's something other than boredom going on right now.

Sadly, it's entirely possible his mind just isn't all there anymore. He never seemed that sharp while he was in the announcing booth last time around. Maybe he's slipping. I wouldn't hold it against him.

Beyle
06-28-10, 10:34 PM
See, I think it's possible that he took those last two jobs to avoid the boredom of retirement. There's a lot of things you can call these Cubs, but boring isn't one of them. I think it's something other than boredom going on right now.

Sadly, it's entirely possible his mind just isn't all there anymore. He never seemed that sharp while he was in the announcing booth last time around. Maybe he's slipping. I wouldn't hold it against him.

It's possible that I'm misinterpreting his "boredom." I don't keep a close eye on all things Lou Piniella, but when you suggest that his mind might be starting to slip, then I feel bad.

More often than not, Lou seems "out of it."

Dave B
06-28-10, 10:58 PM
It could be that he knows he doesn't have much control over the team, that Hendry and he are both on the way out, and so he's just along for the ride, so he stopped caring. I'd buy that too.

35Knucklecurve
06-29-10, 08:53 AM
I don't see how Zambrano will even be able to return in the bullpen. There's no way I'd want to call this guy my teammate. If he thought they weren't diving for balls before, just think what'll be like the next time he's on the mound...."Sorry Z, I lost that grounder in the sun."

Beyle
06-29-10, 09:44 PM
I don't see how Zambrano will even be able to return in the bullpen. There's no way I'd want to call this guy my teammate. If he thought they weren't diving for balls before, just think what'll be like the next time he's on the mound...."Sorry Z, I lost that grounder in the sun."

Exactly. The guy is a diva. I mean, if we can refer to a pitcher as a "diva." ;)

For this reason, Z doesn't have the greatest reputation among Chicagoans.

Dave B
06-29-10, 09:50 PM
Anyone surprised that he's good friends with Ozzie?

Yeah, neither am I. Two peas in a pod, those two.

Beyle
06-29-10, 09:57 PM
Anyone surprised that he's good friends with Ozzie?

Yeah, neither am I. Two peas in a pod, those two.

I'm not. It's funny you mentioned their friendship too. On MLB Radio, they were talking about how some people were shocked(!!!!) that Zambrano ate dinner with Guillen after the blowup. :wtf:

I kept thinking "Are you people stupid? They're the same person!"