PDA

View Full Version : 2010 General Yankee Comments

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

BRNXBMRS
04-16-10, 08:14 AM
Great way to start the season 6-3 against the three toughtest teams in the AL.

ojo
04-16-10, 08:39 AM
if granderson and cano are going to do this, then the season is merely but an exercise in futility for many, many teams.

NewEraYanks2527
04-16-10, 09:30 AM
if granderson and cano are going to do this, then the season is merely but an exercise in futility for many, many teams. Ain't that the truth. I really can't believe the start Cano is off to.

JDPNYY
04-16-10, 09:32 AM
It would be really cool if our army actually had a General Yankee at the helm.

aeromac76
04-16-10, 10:18 AM
Great way to start the season 6-3 against the three toughtest teams in the AL.

Actually I'd rank them 2,3,4.
The toughest team in the AL is the one who just beat the snot out of them!

Ram Man
04-16-10, 10:54 AM
Considering the competition thus far and the fact that A-Rod and Teixeira haven't gotten going, a 6-3 start is excellent.

Tyler Durden
04-16-10, 11:43 AM
The Yankees haven't been this much fun to watch in April in a very long time.

BRNXBMRS
04-16-10, 12:13 PM
Actually I'd rank them 2,3,4.
The toughest team in the AL is the one who just beat the snot out of them!

exactly, my bad

BRNXBMRS
04-16-10, 12:14 PM

I was just thinking the samething the other night.

just-blaze
04-16-10, 12:42 PM
Twins>Angels

But fair enough point.........Yankees are dope.

NYYDragoon
04-16-10, 06:43 PM
Is it just me, or has Michael Kay been especially obnoxious this season?

Joba-Walkee
04-16-10, 07:02 PM
Have Cervelli's eyes gotten even more dreamy?

The Q Bomb
04-16-10, 10:05 PM
Is it just me, or has Michael Kay been especially obnoxious this season? YES - he's been All-Star obnoxious.

He talks incessantly. Isn't he supposed to do play-by-play? He does that, color, gossip - next he'll start singing. He doesn't come up for air and it's almost tiring listening to him.

Kay has always been a gossip and an instigator but this year he is over the top. He talks about Teixeira's struggles from the moment the man walks to the on-deck circle, throughout his entire at-bat, and on the man's way back to the dugout (and as he sits down...). We know the guy is struggling, and, yes, it is cause for concern and for analysis - but not ad infinitum.

He always has to find a negative to dig his teeth into and delights in "exposing" some little secret, like the fact that Sabathia chided those players who were not inclined to vote Cervelli a full share of World Series monies. I, personally, don't think that was something he should have publicly divulged - but not only did he divulge it (with considerable glee, I might add), I guarantee you he will tell that story every time Cervelli catches Sabathia, and will repeat it a hundred times during each game.

Kay just delights in gossip; the more negative the better. It's like listening to "Mean Girls" broadcasting a game. He truly has the sensibilities of a high-school girl.

njyankeesfan
04-16-10, 11:16 PM
YES - he's been All-Star obnoxious.

He talks incessantly. Isn't he supposed to do play-by-play? He does that, color, gossip - next he'll start singing. He doesn't come up for air and it's almost tiring listening to him.

Kay has always been a gossip and an instigator but this year he is over the top. He talks about Teixeira's struggles from the moment the man walks to the on-deck circle, throughout his entire at-bat, and on the man's way back to the dugout (and as he sits down...). We know the guy is struggling, and, yes, it is cause for concern and for analysis - but not ad infinitum.

He always has to find a negative to dig his teeth into and delights in "exposing" some little secret, like the fact that Sabathia chided those players who were not inclined to vote Cervelli a full share of World Series monies. I, personally, don't think that was something he should have publicly divulged - but not only did he divulge it (with considerable glee, I might add), I guarantee you he will tell that story every time Cervelli catches Sabathia, and will repeat it a hundred times during each game.

Kay just delights in gossip; the more negative the better. It's like listening to "Mean Girls" broadcasting a game. He truly has the sensibilities of a high-school girl.

Hey, let's leave the singing to John Sterling, OK?:P

mjdlight
04-17-10, 06:44 AM
What impresses me about this start is that Tex and A-Rod have 0HR, and yet the team is 6-3 with three series wins over arguably their three strongest competitors in the AL East.

Its early, but this lineup is very reminiscent of the 1998 lineup. Pinch me.

mr.roy
04-17-10, 07:13 AM

2003 they went 9-1 to start the season. This is their best start since.
There is a cliche that is on my mind that Boston fans know oh so well.

mr.roy
04-17-10, 07:16 AM
It would be really cool if our army actually had a General Yankee at the helm.

Sherman or Grant?

mjdlight
04-17-10, 07:28 AM
Sherman or Grant?
Sherman if you want the Billy Martin type, Grant if you want the Torre type -- although Grant was a drunk, just about everyone was a drunk in the 19th century.

mr.roy
04-17-10, 07:33 AM
:lol: Including 90% of the baseball players. Most of them played better that way.

Joba-Walkee
04-17-10, 10:36 PM
Sherman or Grant?
I liked Sherman's total war idea. It seems like it's been working so far this season.

teknetic
04-17-10, 11:10 PM
This team is a ............ juggernaut.

BRNXBMRS
04-18-10, 07:38 AM
Beyond early, but it does seem to have a 1998 feel.

andy2382
04-18-10, 11:17 AM
This team is a lot of fun to watch at the moment. Pitching has been all but stellar with the exception of Vazquez, and the offense has been performing more then well especially with Tex off to his usual awful April.

I think the player I am most surprised with is Granderson though

Matsui55
04-19-10, 08:01 AM
It is EARLY (only the middle of April)- and I remember how the media and everyone else buried the Yanks the past couple years after slow starts in April, so I take hot starts with a BIG grain of salt.

That said, this is a VERY good start because of WHO it was accomplished against- the Red Sox, the Rays, that Angels and Rangers. Of that group, the Sox, Ray and Angels are very likely to be playoff teams, or serious playoff contenders. Yet, the Yanks took 2 of 3 against each.

The "soft" part of the schedule doesn't start for quite a while (around June), so I will take a good start against the really good teams, but keep in mind that May is a brutal stretch as well- lots of games against the Twins, The Red Sox, Detroit and the Rays.

Let's see where they are on June 1 before we get too excited. Keep in mind that the 2009 Yanks were 12-10 in April last year, and had to get hot to get to that.

BRNXBMRS
04-19-10, 01:36 PM
A day off and 10 O'clock starts this week. I hate the West Coast trips!!!

JSG
04-19-10, 07:13 PM

yeah, since 1926 !!

BxBomber44
04-19-10, 07:18 PM
Twins>Angels

But fair enough point.........Yankees are dope.

The twins? Ha. When do we play them.

teknetic
04-19-10, 07:57 PM
It is EARLY (only the middle of April)- and I remember how the media and everyone else buried the Yanks the past couple years after slow starts in April, so I take hot starts with a BIG grain of salt.

That said, this is a VERY good start because of WHO it was accomplished against- the Red Sox, the Rays, that Angels and Rangers. Of that group, the Sox, Ray and Angels are very likely to be playoff teams, or serious playoff contenders. Yet, the Yanks took 2 of 3 against each.

The "soft" part of the schedule doesn't start for quite a while (around June), so I will take a good start against the really good teams, but keep in mind that May is a brutal stretch as well- lots of games against the Twins, The Red Sox, Detroit and the Rays.

Let's see where they are on June 1 before we get too excited. Keep in mind that the 2009 Yanks were 12-10 in April last year, and had to get hot to get to that.

I don't consider the Twins a brutal stretch by any means.

FLORIDAYANKEE
04-19-10, 08:25 PM
Great to see the fast start against good teams for sure.Too early to get too happy though.Last year the Red Sox kicked our ass early and many counted us out of the hunt.Happy with the good start,lets keep it rolling through the west coast swing.If this team stays healthy we will be tough to beat

Kentucky Bomber
04-20-10, 08:54 AM
I don't consider the Twins a brutal stretch by any means.

The Twins are going to be interesting. They caught the Angels Opening Day and took 3 of 4 when obviously LA hadn't (and hasn't) sorted it out, then the White Sox, and Red Sox who maybe aren't as good as advertised. Look at their sked and they're facing lots of teams like Cleveland, Baltimore and KC before they come into the Stadium in May. They could be really stretching it out at that point. Do they get a dose of reality then, or does winning breed winning? A rotation of Blackburn, Baker, Slowey, Liriano and You-Know-Who doesn't seem to bode well for them.

Bozidar
04-20-10, 09:32 AM
this is a megathread, please.. dont put this ................ here

NerfBall55
04-20-10, 11:23 AM
Swisher, Granderson and Posada in any combination of 6-7-8 is just ludicrous. Insane lineup.

NYYDragoon
04-20-10, 11:31 AM
A rotation of Blackburn, Baker, Slowey, Liriano and You-Know-Who doesn't seem to bode well for them.It doesn't, but the offense has been firing out of its mind.

teknetic
04-20-10, 11:36 AM
The Twins are going to be interesting. They caught the Angels Opening Day and took 3 of 4 when obviously LA hadn't (and hasn't) sorted it out, then the White Sox, and Red Sox who maybe aren't as good as advertised. Look at their sked and they're facing lots of teams like Cleveland, Baltimore and KC before they come into the Stadium in May. They could be really stretching it out at that point. Do they get a dose of reality then, or does winning breed winning? A rotation of Blackburn, Baker, Slowey, Liriano and You-Know-Who doesn't seem to bode well for them.

I can see a guy like Slowey beating us because he doesn't walk anyone, everyone else is fair game.

NYYDragoon
04-20-10, 11:44 AM
I can see a guy like Slowey beating us because he doesn't walk anyone, everyone else is fair game.None of them really walk anyone when they're on their game. They pitch to contact.

BronxYanks45
04-20-10, 12:29 PM
Beyond early, but it does seem to have a 1998 feel.

hopefully yes, as long as we keep winning series then its possible.

BRNXBMRS
04-20-10, 01:32 PM
hopefully yes, as long as we keep winning series then its possible.

it was something like 24 series the 98 yanks either split or won before they finaly lost a series since the opening against LAA in 98.

GordonGecko
04-20-10, 01:56 PM
Yankees have actually only been in first place for like a day so far after losing the opener and trailing the Jays and now the Rays

NYYRules#1
04-20-10, 02:40 PM
Yankees have actually only been in first place for like a day so far after losing the opener and trailing the Jays and now the Rays

Meh, standings are virtually meaningless at this point. Too much of a gap in terms of quality of opponents, there's still a ton of luck coming into play that hasn't been ironed out over a larger sample size yet, you have teams still sorting things out and others on hot streaks.

The Yanks could be in 4th with their 9-3 record and I'd still be just as happy as I am with the team right now. The truly good teams will rise to the top within due time, and there's no question in my mind that this is one of the truly great teams.

GordonGecko
04-20-10, 02:46 PM
Yankees are executing perfectly what every team should aim for. Win 2 out of every 3 game series with an occasional sweep of a lesser team. At .667+ you're looking at 108+ wins

jesterno2
04-20-10, 03:01 PM
this team is firing on pretty much all cylinders.

best offense in baseball in pretty much every statistic, including 3rd in SB, and that is without NJ, Tex and Arod hitting.

pitching is great right now with 7 quality starts of our 12 games, and if javy figures out his mechanical problems watch out.

usual slow starters cano and CC off to torrid starts. andy is defying his age. looks like gardner and granderson have figured out some of their problems at the plate (all hail kevin long).

second best defense in the league behind only the twins.

and to make it even better, the supposed pitching/defense juggernaut formerly known as the red sox is 3rd worst in the league in both categories, and their offense is as putrid as everyone feared it would be.

last thing i'll say is that the twins might be the most improved team in baseball, i really like the moves they made in the offseason. that pitching staff won't k a ton of guys, but it should be competitive and their offense is legit now, though not quite as deep as the yanks. adding hudson, thome and hardy to the already potent core of mauer, morneau, span, cuddyer and kubel made that offense extremely deep. i would fear them more than any other team but the rays right now, but i do think their pen will eventually catch up with them. they are one "ramos+ for heath bell" trade away from being a damn good team though, especially if liriano is back.

anthonylau
04-20-10, 11:09 PM
Great detailed information, I ll be visiting you more frequently,Here is very interesting information.
www.r4i-sdhc.com
www.zstar.hk
www.ndsill.com
www.edgei-ds.cn (many movie to download)

BRNXBMRS
04-21-10, 07:45 AM
10pm starts suck!!!

mal1219
04-21-10, 07:59 AM
^ Speak for yourself. I get to watch the ballgame when having breakfast before going to work :-)

RI Dawg
04-21-10, 09:51 AM
So Far So Good

Kluivert4Ever
04-21-10, 02:29 PM
^ Speak for yourself. I get to watch the ballgame when having breakfast before going to work :-)

Word;)

teknetic
04-22-10, 02:15 PM
I can't remember a damn thing about the '98 team, but I imagine this is what it felt like.

jimmykey2
04-22-10, 04:45 PM
Am I allowed to be pissed when a team with 5 straight series wins and 6 straight wins finally loses?

NYYDragoon
04-22-10, 04:49 PM
Am I allowed to be pissed when a team with 5 straight series wins and 6 straight wins finally loses?This team sucks. They're not going to get far at all.

(Is that right?)

Props to CC for letting the pen rest. Also, nice triple play. Damn Coliseum was eating most of our long shots though...

Kentucky Bomber
04-22-10, 04:50 PM
Am I allowed to be pissed when a team with 5 straight series wins and 6 straight wins finally loses?

You're allowed to be sick and tired of watching Nick Johnson do a terrible impersonation of a major league hitter. I've seen guys in slumps before, but you usually have some idea what they're thinking when they're at the plate. Johnson seems to have absolutely no clue, other than to take every pitch, no matter the location, until he's locked himself into a 3-2 count. Then he takes a fastball down the middle, unless the pitcher is careless enough to throw ball 4.

HelloNewman
04-22-10, 04:54 PM
I can't remember a damn thing about the '98 team, but I imagine this is what it felt like.Not yet. The whole thing about that team was in how damn LONG they stayed hot. The season got to mid-May, late May, mid-June, late June, July, you kept waiting for the slump that would tighten up the race a little, and it never came. By the time they let up in late August there wasn't even a smoking cinder left of the competition.

NYYRules#1
04-22-10, 04:57 PM
This team sucks. They can't even win when their starter throws a complete game. What a pathetic bunch. We need Damon and Matsui back, and a true ace. CC's a #2. A true ace would win his complete games.

We're doomed.

Ram Man
04-22-10, 05:00 PM

Yes. I am. When you win the first two games of the series with your nos. 4 and 5 SPs on the mound, you expect sweep with your no. 1. Disappointing to lose.

flymick24
04-22-10, 05:02 PM
they really mailed it in today... i mean, seriously, dallas braden? the same guy they raped last year for like 10 runs?

teknetic
04-22-10, 05:15 PM
You're allowed to be sick and tired of watching Nick Johnson do a terrible impersonation of a major league hitter. I've seen guys in slumps before, but you usually have some idea what they're thinking when they're at the plate. Johnson seems to have absolutely no clue, other than to take every pitch, no matter the location, until he's locked himself into a 3-2 count. Then he takes a fastball down the middle, unless the pitcher is careless enough to throw ball 4.

:lol: Yes, guys who post OBP's over .400 generally don't have an idea of what they're doing. I'm fairly certain certain fans only respond to BA, HR, and RBI. Sad, really.

mr.roy
04-22-10, 05:27 PM

Wow! Quite a synopsis. :)

BRNXBMRS
04-23-10, 07:56 AM

Youre kidding, right?

http://www.printable2010calendar.net/samples/2010_04.png

The Q Bomb
04-23-10, 10:21 AM
Am I allowed to be pissed when a team with 5 straight series wins and 6 straight wins finally loses? Yes. If they win 161 games and lose # 162 I'd get ticked. We want to win every game (but we understand when we don't).. I doubly hate it when we lose on a day when The Mets win.

mr.roy
04-23-10, 10:46 AM

According to community standards, yes.

njyankeesfan
04-24-10, 09:16 PM
This team sucks. They can't even win when their starter throws a complete game. What a pathetic bunch. We need Damon and Matsui back, and a true ace. CC's a #2. A true ace would win his complete games.

We're doomed.

I dunno--two straight losses before today's win--surprised the official "We're Dooomed...." thread hasn't gotten started yet....

JUST KIDDING!!!!! DON"T DO IT!!!!:D

ThePinStripes
04-25-10, 12:30 AM
Outside Vazquez, our starters have a 2.48 ERA.

Our whole staff has a 3.59 ERA (Vaz included).

Not bad, considering how poorly we normally start! Doesn't hurt that our offense is scoring 5.4 runs/game on average (with some consistency)- aqnd that's with an ineffective Teix.

mal1219
04-25-10, 01:57 AM
Outside Vazquez, our starters have a 2.48 ERA.

Our whole staff has a 3.59 ERA (Vaz included).

Not bad, considering how poorly we normally start! Doesn't hurt that our offense is scoring 5.4 runs/game on average (with some consistency)- aqnd that's with an ineffective Teix.

You know, I was thinking the same. I never know how much can be attributed to a pitching coach or not, but outside of the Vasquez and Joba mechanics, our pitching has been very solid. Kudos to whatever Dave Eiland has contributed to that.

Kentucky Bomber
04-25-10, 08:47 AM
Nick Johnson is now doing a wonderful impersonation of Nick Johnson. He hurt his back taking batting practice.

mrmike98
04-25-10, 09:05 AM
Nick Johnson is now doing a wonderful impersonation of Nick Johnson. He hurt his back taking batting practice.

And this may be a problem that was anticipated. His poor performance indicates he was/is dealing with an injury. A back problem can easily rob him of his ability to drive the ball.

jnewmark
04-25-10, 02:09 PM

Was'nt just a matter of time ?

BroadwayBomber55
04-25-10, 08:57 PM
Just finish the month of April very strong. Follow that up with another effective and explosive winning month including October.

Basically: win every month.

BxBomber44
04-25-10, 11:41 PM
Win every series.

Today was a poor effort by coaches and players.

BRNXBMRS
04-26-10, 08:11 AM
Yesterdays loss hurt, and now we have yet another off day to ponder it again & again & again.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-26-10, 08:18 AM
It's impressive that the Yankees are 12-6 at this point -- they've not only had a really tough schedule, but two-thirds of their games have been on the road (including one West coast swing out of the way already). Really couldn't ask for anything more at this point.

mal1219
04-26-10, 08:32 AM
It's impressive that the Yankees are 12-6 at this point -- they've not only had a really tough schedule, but two-thirds of their games have been on the road (including one West coast swing out of the way already). Really couldn't ask for anything more at this point.

Don't worry, they'll be 15-6 after the baltimore series. I was just hoping that they would get through april .500, but it seems like they'll do a bit better. Keep winning 2 out of 3 and you have a 107 win ballclub. That's pretty awesome. Best thing is no more trips to LAAOA, just some sporadic visits to SEA, OAK and ARI and LAD in the interleague.

mr.roy
04-26-10, 10:39 AM
And this may be a problem that was anticipated. His poor performance indicates he was/is dealing with an injury. A back problem can easily rob him of his ability to drive the ball.

I'll buy that.
But I thought the only reason they got him for was BB, though.

Or as others have put it, "not making outs".

primetime714
04-26-10, 11:53 AM

Honestly it might not be a terrible idea to put him on the 15 day DL. Without knowing how serious the injury is he's clearly struggling now and if rest will help make things better it won't hurt us that much to keep him out of the lineup for a few weeks.

Let Granderson or Swisher hit in the 2 hole. Callup Miranda and we'll still have a nice platoon at DH and can also use that spot to rest other players.

Although since we don't really need someone like Miranda we could just keep NJ active and use him sparingly. Although if he's not 100% what's the point?

BronxYanks45
04-26-10, 12:35 PM
Win every series.

Today was a poor effort by coaches and players.

very true, there is a stretch from 2nd week of May til the end of May where we play BOS, TB, DET, MIN. Need to win every series possible

aeromac76
04-26-10, 02:42 PM
very true, there is a stretch from 2nd week of May til the end of May where we play BOS, TB, DET, MIN. Need to win every series possible

I looked at that stretch when the season started, and I said to myself if we are .500 and within 5 games of first place when that stretch ends, then we may up and run away afterwards.

I was even watching Gammons the other night and he mentioned that sked as well, and he said if the Yankees are flying high after that part of the sked, the league has officially blown its chance to stager the Yankees.

Right now, I would like to be thinking 10 games over or better at that point.
If we are, game is up.
See you in October.

teknetic
04-26-10, 02:54 PM
That stretch doesn't look to be all that hard to be honest. Minny is good, but beatable, Detroit isn't good, and the Sox are gimped.

BroadwayBomber55
04-27-10, 01:09 AM
Win every pitch, win every plate appearance, win every inning, win every game, win every series, win every month.

threeyoda
04-27-10, 06:23 AM
Win every pitch, win every plate appearance, win every inning, win every game, win every series, win every month.

Win the 144 games left. Every. Single. One.

mr.roy
04-27-10, 07:00 AM

You me like the pitches against Morales?

R.V.47
04-27-10, 07:46 AM
We need to beat up on Baltimore here. In the past the yanks have fallen into traps in series's like this as the lesser team would come out playing like its game 7 of the World Series. But last year they took care of business against teams like Baltimore. Im expecting a good showing in this series.

BRNXBMRS
04-27-10, 08:00 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/04/27/gal_backpage_100427.jpg

2009 can finally be put to rest.

teknetic
04-27-10, 08:56 PM
I can't remember a damn thing about the '98 team, but I imagine this is what it felt like.

Statement recanted.

BxBomber44
04-27-10, 09:11 PM
We look awful. This is the first of a few streaks we'll have like this.

Mark19
04-27-10, 09:14 PM
Definitely early in the year for them to totally mail one in

Errors, bad baserunning, terrible relief work -- their Orioles impression isn't amusing

HelloNewman
04-27-10, 09:16 PM
Ahh, now it feels like April!

BxBomber44
04-27-10, 09:34 PM
This team better come out ready to play tomorrow. What an awful loss.

AnA-bombforA-rod
God damn it, losing to the 3-win Orioles?

NYYDragoon
Figures we give the O's their first win at home :lol:. I HATE how they ALWAYS play us hard. Grrrrrr.

dabomb2045
04-27-10, 09:37 PM
Apparently after the 11-3 start....the Yanks all looked at the calendar and said "wait its still April? Oops. We're suppose to suck this month. Duh. Cant believe we forgot!"

And the last 5 games they are playing like they normally do in April. No offense, terrible bullpen and a lack of effort.

Dave B
04-27-10, 09:38 PM
Long season, any team on any day, Millwood pitched well, etc. I know.

That doesn't make me any less furious about losing to a 3-16 team. Weak.

Whatever, that's nice that they got one at home. Now bash their faces in tomorrow and Thursday.

Mark19
04-27-10, 09:38 PM
Losing 4 out of 5 to guys like Braden, Millwood and Ervin Santana -- this clearly won't do

NYYDragoon
04-27-10, 09:42 PM
Apparently after the 11-3 start....the Yanks all looked at the calendar and said "wait its still April? Oops. We're suppose to suck this month. Duh. Cant believe we forgot!"

And the last 5 games they are playing like they normally do in April. No offense, terrible bullpen and a lack of effort.Ok, in all fairness, the only series we dropped was in Anaheim, WHICH, if it weren't for the wave of awesome we were all riding going in, would not be seen as "sucking." And there are still two left to play in Baltimore. Let's not jump ship yet.

NYYRules#1
04-27-10, 09:47 PM
Embarassing performance. Hughes, Posada, and Cano are exempt from that. But that was pathetic.

AnA-bombforA-rod
04-27-10, 10:39 PM
Ok, in all fairness, the only series we dropped was in Anaheim, WHICH, if it weren't for the wave of awesome we were all riding going in, would not be seen as "sucking." And there are still two left to play in Baltimore. Let's not jump ship yet.

I don't think anyone is jumping ship, but losing to Baltimore, a 3-win team can be aggravating.

leutbneot
04-28-10, 04:08 AM
We could have won tonight. The real problem was Bell behind the plate. He's one of the old-school umps that believes that "kids" should get squeezed in their first year or two, while "vets" should basically get away with throwing whatever they want, because "they know the strikezone, dammit!" (Maddux, late in his career, was brilliant at exploiting this, and would routinely expand the zone so subtly that by the sixth inning he'd be throwing six inches off the plate and getting the call).

Hughes got CRUSHED tonight by Bell. If you watched the game simultaneously on TV and on GameDay, like I did, you would have seen the UNBELIEVABLE number of strike 3s that sailed by hitters, only to be called a ball. Bell personally was responsible for probably 30 of the pitches Hughes threw, and that's not even getting into what kind of mental effect something like that can have on a 23-year old kid. Can you imagine? Hitting all your spots, striking guys out, only to have them end up on base a pitch later because of an obviously missed call? Frustrating, to say the least. Hughes looked pretty good, aside from the second. Although it appeared that he was laboring, he would have looked phenomenal if Bell had given him a league-average zone. He probably would have made it into the seventh, if not the eighth. It would have fundamentally changed the complexion of the game, but Bell decided that Hughes needed a little hazing, and as a result, only got 5 IP out of his 100 (mostly good-to-great) pitches.

It was a frustrating game, because we could have (and probably should have) won it anyway, but sometimes games like this happen and you just have to live with the way the home plate ump calls it. It'll even out before the end of the season, I promise.

And a side note on Hughes - a lot of pitchers would have gotten really psyched out, or just plain angry with the zone tonight. I liked that Hughes seemed to keep his composure, and just seemed to decide sometime in the 3rd, "Well, I'm getting squeezed, there's nothing I can do about it, I just have to try and stay as good as I can for as long as I can be in it". Good mentality for a pitcher in general, and exceptional for one as young as Hughes.

JohnnyDamonfan
04-28-10, 05:03 AM

And the last 5 games they are playing like they normally do in April. No offense, terrible bullpen and a lack of effort.

Last five games? What about Saturday? Remember they beat the Angels 7-1. I would call that having offense, having a good bullpen and giving effort. Granted , we should be winning more. But , Last five games? I think that might be going a bit over board.

jnewmark
04-28-10, 07:36 AM
Definitely early in the year for them to totally mail one in

Errors, bad baserunning, terrible relief work -- their Orioles impression isn't amusing

Yeah, it's starting to look like Aprils past.

BRNXBMRS
04-28-10, 07:41 AM
Its the first 3 game losing streak in April. The errors didnt help and the umped squeezed Phil a few times. THe good news is the yanks can right the ship tonight.

BRNXBMRS
04-28-10, 07:42 AM
Figures we give the O's their first win at home :lol:. I HATE how they ALWAYS play us hard. Grrrrrr.

and always bend over for Boston.

stazsanity
04-28-10, 07:57 AM
and always bend over for Boston.

I just checked Izturis's stats against the Yankees...nothing to write home about... but is it just me, or does he always find a way to get a big hit when the Yanks are in town?

R.V.47
04-28-10, 07:58 AM
The offense has kind of gone into the tank. This obviously wont last.

delv
04-28-10, 08:42 AM
The offense has kind of gone into the tank. This obviously wont last. eh? we scored 5 runs.

R.V.47
04-28-10, 09:13 AM
eh? we scored 5 runs.

They got some runs late which was good but right now there are about 3 everyday players doing nothing Tex, Johnson, Granderson. Posada and Cano are carrying us right now but we definitly need more out of those other 3. A-Rod is 1 for his last 15 but couldve easily had a few hits last night just hit the ball right at people.

roblyo33
04-28-10, 12:10 PM
eh? we scored 5 runs.

How did I miss the last one??

NYYDragoon
04-28-10, 12:33 PM
Its the first 3 game losing streak in April.Actually, it's the second 2-game losing streak in April.

The offense has kind of gone into the tank. This obviously wont last.They haven't scored more than four runs a game since...Saturday. And they still have the second most runs scored in the division. The offense has not "gone into the tank."

BronxYanks45
04-28-10, 12:54 PM
overall the 2010 so far is pretty good, in 4th place in all of baseball and the 3rd best record in the AL so were in decent shape after 1 month of baseball. Random thoughts:

1. Johnson's bat needs to wake up
2. Vasquez NEEDS to start eating innings and going deeper into games, thats what we brought him in for.
3. Some production from Winn would be nice
4. Marte/Robertson need to return to 2009 form.
5. More production/less DL time for Park.

snarkerella
04-28-10, 12:55 PM
overall the 2010 so far is pretty good, in 4th place in all of baseball and the 3rd best record in the AL so were in decent shape after 1 month of baseball. Random thoughts:

1. Johnson's bat needs to wake up
2. Vasquez NEEDS to start eating innings and going deeper into games, thats what we brought him in for.
3. Some production from Winn would be nice
4. Marte/Robertson need to return to 2009 form.
5. More production/less DL time for Park.

I agree with most of this but Marte's 2009 form was not good. We're doing quite well, much better than the Yankees usually do in April, with a bunch of guys in the lineup in slumps. So yeah.

delv
04-28-10, 02:04 PM
How did I miss the last one??

A-Rod drove in Gardner from 3rd to tie it, but we lost because of technicalities. Did you fall asleep or something?

BRNXBMRS
04-28-10, 03:05 PM
Actually, it's the second 2-game losing streak in April.

Feels like 3

roblyo33
04-28-10, 03:08 PM
A-Rod drove in Gardner from 3rd to tie it, but we lost because of technicalities. Did you fall asleep or something?

Obviously, I must have. ;)

diogenes
04-28-10, 06:00 PM
Without Damon and Matsui, come from behind wins from multiple run deficits will occur with far less frequency.

Still the improved small ball play should come very handy in tight, late inning, well pitched games.

BRNXBMRS
04-29-10, 07:50 AM
Without Damon and Matsui, come from behind wins from multiple run deficits will occur with far less frequency.

Still the improved small ball play should come very handy in tight, late inning, well pitched games.

They were a few inches of tying the game the other night on Arods grounder up the middle. Still April.

delv
04-29-10, 09:33 AM

you're right. because of improved defense and more or less equivalent offense, we'll win more games outright, without having to come from behind.

not as exciting, I guess. But, hey, we already have a better record, percentage wise, than we did all year last year!

JSG
04-29-10, 11:28 AM
interesting perspective, tho i prefer the glass half full approach here -- once we lock in, we're going to be scary good:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212383205557188.html

bonus trax from the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212293929927062.html#mod=todays_us_new_york

teknetic
04-29-10, 02:57 PM
Two members of the starting rotation have been outstanding (Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes), and two have been themselves (CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett), but Javier Vazquez has been a mess, as has the middle relief.

So, instead of mentioning that four starters are locked in, he talks about the one who isn't. That entire article was retarded.

mr.roy
04-30-10, 06:55 AM
It would be neat to see the 2-4 hitters do more than their standard 2-13,
0-11
1-12 game after game., generally speaking.
How many solo HR does Cano have, for Pete's sake?

R.V.47
04-30-10, 07:49 AM
interesting perspective, tho i prefer the glass half full approach here -- once we lock in, we're going to be scary good:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212383205557188.html

bonus trax from the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212293929927062.html#mod=todays_us_new_york

Why is the Wall Street Journal covering sports now? That article was a disaster.

BRNXBMRS
04-30-10, 07:56 AM
Why is the Wall Street Journal covering sports now? That article was a disaster.

Why are you reading the WSJ for sports anyway?

Gusto
04-30-10, 12:09 PM
So, instead of mentioning that four starters are locked in, he talks about the one who isn't. That entire article was retarded.

Speaking of the other four starters, check out their combined numbers, projected out to a full season of 34 starts ...

22-2 W-L
2.29 ERA
1.089 WHIP
228.0 IP
166 Hits
58 ER
82 BB
176 SO

That's CYA territory

EvanJ
04-30-10, 05:59 PM
The Yankees lead the AL in OPS (.818, the Rays are second at .809) and opponents' OPS (.662, the White Sox are second at .697).

BroadwayBomber55
05-01-10, 12:16 AM
Pretty good April with a 15-7 mark despite the problems with Javy Vazquez, Damaso Marte and David Robertson having a pitiful month.

Gotta keep going and post winning series including some winning sweeps in there.

Jasbro
05-01-10, 01:29 AM
Yep. Pretty good April.

If every month is as pretty good as this one, they'll win 110-111 games.

dabomb2045
05-01-10, 01:34 AM
Yep. Pretty good April.

If every month is as pretty good as this one, they'll win 110-111 games.

15-7 and we havent gotten anything from Tex, NJ and very little from ARod. Good things are ahead for us.

JohnnyDamonfan
05-01-10, 06:17 AM
It would be neat to see the 2-4 hitters do more than their standard 2-13,
0-11
1-12 game after game., generally speaking.
How many solo HR does Cano have, for Pete's sake?

He has like 8 Home runs this month.

mr.roy
05-01-10, 09:01 AM
I'll answer my own question.............6 of his 8 HR have been solo.

Woe is Robbie on the RBI total of 18.

6 HR already where the 3 hitters before him couldn't get on base and if someone did I assume they were either picked off or doubled up.

This can't continue.

-tz
05-01-10, 11:01 AM
This all sounds pretty good to me ...

Pettitte, after getting this no-decision, finished April at 3-0 with a 2.12 ERA in five starts. It was just his second undefeated April. In 1997, he went 5-0.

Robinson Cano finished the month at .400 (34 for 85) with eight homers and 18 RBI. He’s just the second American League player to ever hit at least .400 and launch at least eight homers in April in the expansion era (since 1961). Manny Ramirez was the other, in 2001. Cano is just the fourth Yankees player to hit at least .400 in April with a minimum of 50 plate appearances, joining Paul O’Neill, Clete Boyer and Willie Randolph. Cano has batted .382 over his last two Aprils with 13 homers and 34 RBI.

Brett Gardner enters May with an AL-high 10 steals.

Alfredo Aceves is now 2-0 this year and 13-1 for his career.

Mariano Rivera is now 7 for 7 in saves and 51 for his last 51 at home, tying Eric Gagne’s all-time record. Rivera fanned two in the ninth to move past Roger Clemens for 10th on the team’s all-time strikeout list with 1,015. http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/05/01/post-game-show/

shadyridr
05-01-10, 12:59 PM
Not a good start for the 3 Yankee newcomers

bucky
05-02-10, 07:26 AM
I know it's a long season but I am worried with Javey (Vasquez) and Robertson. Robertson only had 2 good outings and doesn't look like the same pitcher last year.

Happy with Dice K last night (another concern)

Big Crawford fan but Gardner (Cano) has been beyond my wildest expectations.

Bucky

Gusto
05-03-10, 03:06 PM
Yankees have a tough stretch coming up ... starting this weekend.

The Yankees play 20 games in 21 days ... all against Boston, a team currently leading their division, or a team currently within .5 game of a division lead.

They then go on without a break to play 10 more games, 6 against AL East rivals.

30 games in 31 days total.

It would be a good time for ARod and Teix to get hot.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
05-03-10, 05:15 PM
It would be a good time for ARod and Teix to get hot.

Teix has definitely hit better in the month of May (three days in, but whatever). A-Rod had a pretty slow April too, but I'm really not worried about them two.

It's so nice to see Robbie hitting the way he has. We've all known about the potential, and to see it come out is great.

jesterno2
05-04-10, 07:40 PM
wow, we have 10 triples already this year only 26 games in. we had 21 all of last year. gardner had 6 of those last year and only has one so far this year. wonder if we have just gotten some lucky bounces or if this ream is just freakishly faster than last years.

BRNXBMRS
05-05-10, 07:51 AM
wow, we have 10 triples already this year only 26 games in. we had 21 all of last year. gardner had 6 of those last year and only has one so far this year. wonder if we have just gotten some lucky bounces or if this ream is just freakishly faster than last years.

Triples are awsome.

35Knucklecurve
05-05-10, 08:39 AM
If it's been mentioned anywhere else, I apologize. Is AJ still delivering pies? I haven't heard about it this year, but I see that a few other teams have decided to follow suit.

R.V.47
05-05-10, 09:28 AM
If it's been mentioned anywhere else, I apologize. Is AJ still delivering pies? I haven't heard about it this year, but I see that a few other teams have decided to follow suit.

They havent had a walk off win yet.

CoyoteYankee
05-05-10, 09:39 AM
Team good.

mr.roy
05-05-10, 11:32 AM
Am I wrong to believe there is a 1:05 game start today?

BRNXBMRS
05-05-10, 11:36 AM
Am I wrong to believe there is a 1:05 game start today?

you are correct!

mr.roy
05-05-10, 11:49 AM
you are correct!

Thanks. I was reading lohud earlier and they were talking about tonight's game.
I was like....what? Must have been a misprint.

ThePinStripes
05-05-10, 12:05 PM
We are 18-8 after 26 games. That's on pace to win 112 games.

Last year at this time were 13-13, on pace to win 81 games.

In 2007, we were 12-14, on pace to win 75 games.

NYYDragoon
05-05-10, 12:34 PM
We are 18-8 after 26 games. That's on pace to win 112 games.

Last year at this time were 13-13, on pace to win 81 games.

In 2007, we were 12-14, on pace to win 75 games.Just shows how "pacing" doesn't really mean anything when our variable isn't evenly distributed.

jimmykey2
05-05-10, 03:54 PM
Who's going to burn down the Sports Illustrated Headquarters?

BRNXBMRS
05-06-10, 07:36 AM
Who's going to burn down the Sports Illustrated Headquarters?

At least its still early, get the injuries out of the way in May.

Camby
05-06-10, 08:36 AM
It's nice to get off to a hot start as opposed to the past couple of years.

JSG
05-06-10, 08:43 PM
not sure where else ........... (in honor of the old hot stove thread) ......... plus a little tidbit on igawa (yeah, big news) ............

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings100506

AND

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5169401

(wonder if the red sox go after berkman ??) .............

The Q Bomb
05-06-10, 08:49 PM
Jeez - if you read the papers you'd be ironing your suit to attend funerals for Posada, Mo, and Andy. I know they're old, but the media is acting like all three are old enough to be Jamie Moyer's father. And with Jeter being the oldest shortstop in the AL, it sounds like every day is Old Timers' Day. Doesn't help that Austin Jackson is hitting like Ty Cobb so far.

NYYDragoon
05-06-10, 08:54 PM
Jeez - if you read the papers you'd be ironing your suit to attend funerals for Posada, Mo, and Andy. I know they're old, but the media is acting like all three are old enough to be Jamie Moyer's father. And with Jeter being the oldest shortstop in the AL, it sounds like every day is Old Timers' Day. Doesn't help that Austin Jackson is hitting like Ty Cobb so far.For example, this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/05/06/2010-05-06_mo_has_warning_for_aging_bombers.html

I only got halfway through before I had the urge to vomit.

The Q Bomb
05-06-10, 09:45 PM
I just caught a bit of Yankees Classics and it struck me how many "good guys", "nice personalities", are gone from the team this year. I'm not saying that the new guys aren't "good" or don't have "nice personalities", but it is hard to lose a Johnny Damon, Hidecki Matsui, Melky Cabrera, even a Phil Coke and Brian Bruney (who apparently were flakier than many realized) in one year. I don't know about you guys, but the club does not seem half as lively as they were last year. Before you get all over me, I'd rather have them win and be dour than lose and have fun. I'm not even questioning the moves that were made over the winter (although I have on other threads); I'm just commenting on the different, more buttoned down feel the club has this year.

On another note, the other thing I've noticed is how "routine" a lot of the games are. Maybe it's because the offense has been rather quiet and, thankfully, our pitching has been great - but there have been a lot less big moments, so far this season. I'll take our current win-loss record this season over the one we had at this point last season, but it's just an observation.

delv
05-06-10, 09:53 PM
I just caught a bit of Yankees Classics and it struck me how many "good guys", "nice personalities", are gone from the team this year. I'm not saying that the new guys aren't "good" or don't have "nice personalities", but it is hard to lose a Johnny Damon, Hidecki Matsui, Melky Cabrera, even a Phil Coke and Brian Bruney (who apparently were flakier than many realized) in one year. I don't know about you guys, but the club does not seem half as lively as they were last year. Before you get all over me, I'd rather have them win and be dour than lose and have fun. I'm not even questioning the moves that were made over the winter (although I have on other threads); I'm just commenting on the different, more buttoned down feel the club has this year.

On another note, the other thing I've noticed is how "routine" a lot of the games are. Maybe it's because the offense has been rather quiet and, thankfully, our pitching has been great - but there have been a lot less big moments, so far this season. I'll take our current win-loss record this season over the one we had at this point last season, but it's just an observation.

How the heck have you assessed that they look more "button-down"? Because they haven't had any walkoff wins?

Also, our offense has been far from "quiet."

NYYDragoon
05-06-10, 10:04 PM
I love when our quiet offense has scored the second most runs in the league.

teknetic
05-06-10, 10:27 PM

"Guys with good character are no longer here--don't take this the wrong way, I'm happy with the new guys!"

"There haven't been a lot of big moments this season--don't take this the wrong way, I'm happy with the teams performance!"

So what was the point of your post?

snarkerella
05-06-10, 10:39 PM

So, uh, was there a point to this? Apparently the Yankees are dour, buttoned-down, and boring this year. Who knew, I'm having a whole hell of a lot of fun watching them kick the crap out of teams and watching our quiet offense have the best OPS+ in baseball by quite a bit.

leutbneot
05-07-10, 02:53 AM
It's early. Its' cold sometimes. They haven't found their groove yet (which they didn't find until AFTER the ASB last year). Give 'em a break. We're getting great pitching, great defense, and a lot of contributions from people we'd written off (Brett Gardner of the .400+ OBP and 11/12 SB, for example). When ARod and Tex get going (and they will), and Grandy gets back, this could be a 100+ win team, easily... especially if our pitching holds up. Could you imagine a staff with CC, Hughes, Andy, and "good AJ" (the AJ from the last game) anchoring the rotation? There's no rest! It's relentlessly dominant pitching from game-to-game, and to make things even worse for our opponents, it could be set up L-R-L-R. Any team that hit us in the postseason would run face-first into a brick wall.

Also, I think when AJ is off and doesn't have command of his curve or 2-seamer or whatever it is that makes him suck sometimes, Jeter or Jorge should draw the "Evil Spock" mustache on him between innings in colored pencil. That would be hilarious. It might be worth losing a game 10-3 to watch "Evil AJ" take the mound and just f@$k everyone up, throwing balls at peoples' head for no reason, tackling the ump, spitting openly on the ball, halfheartedly attempting to hide the nailfile he's using to scuff the ball under his cap, etc. God, that would be funny. It would also have the added benefit of scaring the everlovin' crap out of whoever we were playing. Can you imagine?

Player X: Coach, I can't go back out! That crazy tattooed guy with the fake mustache almost drilled me!

Coach: GET BACK OUT THERE, PUSSY! IN MY DAY WE'D WALK TO SCHOOL IN 45 FEET OF SNOW, BOTH DIRECTIONS UPHILL... <voice trails off as player leaves>

Player X: Hey, hitting coach. How do I hit this guy?

Hitting Coach: Just try not to say anything about his mother or his pet snake, Auroborous. He hates when people do that. Oh, and if you get hit, try and make it to first base with the hernia. That way, we can at least send in a pinch runner. If you die before you get there, you are worth nothing to us.

Player X: <speechless>

Hitting Coach: Yup, good advice all around. Now let's go out and PLAY SOME BALL!

Followup: "Mean-Alternate-Universe-Evil-Spock" AJ killed Player X with a fastball to the dome. He did it with the bases full, just to prove a point. Player X's team lost anway, 25-2. Evil AJ later went and desecrated Player X's grave in horrible, horrible ways, just to make sure that Player X's ghost knew who the boss was.

flourish, curtains, exeunt

fin

Sigh. Only in my dreams.

BRNXBMRS
05-07-10, 08:58 AM
For example, this article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/05/06/2010-05-06_mo_has_warning_for_aging_bombers.html

I only got halfway through before I had the urge to vomit.

You did see who wrote that?

delv
05-07-10, 09:14 AM
flourish, curtains, exeunt

fin

:looking:

NYYDragoon
05-07-10, 11:05 AM
You did see who wrote that?Ahaha, not I did not. Good call.

Dave B
05-07-10, 11:58 PM
Hard to complain in a 10-3 game, but... Varitek catching and not one SB?

Beyle
05-08-10, 12:52 AM
:looking:

My thoughts exactly. :uhh:

mycroft
05-08-10, 09:42 AM
Hard to complain in a 10-3 game, but... Varitek catching and not one SB?

Here's a thought about game 1. There needs to be some retaliation in game two. The blosux and becket are scum bag, cheap shot wooses.

JfromJersey
05-08-10, 11:38 AM
Here's a thought about game 1. There needs to be some retaliation in game two. The blosux and becket are scum bag, cheap shot wooses.

My heart says yes, but my head says no. I don't want another brawl to jump start the Sox season. Let sleeping dogs lie.

mycroft
05-08-10, 02:28 PM
My heart says yes, but my head says no. I don't want another brawl to jump start the Sox season. Let sleeping dogs lie.

More like mangy muts. A perfect argument for getting rid of the dh.

mr.roy
05-08-10, 04:59 PM
Tex is nearing the Mendoza Line. Watch out now! :smokin:

Ram Man
05-08-10, 05:52 PM
Tex is nearing the Mendoza Line. Watch out now! :smokin:

Normally when one would say that a player is approaching the Mendoza line, it would be bad news, but Teixeira is approaching from below, so yes, that is good news.

Ram Man
05-08-10, 05:57 PM
The Mendoza line has been broken!

ThePinStripes
05-08-10, 07:10 PM
scary how well we're doing with Posada, Mo, Cano, Gardner, Johnson and no Aceves injured (to varying degrees). How much longer can it last?

teknetic
05-08-10, 07:46 PM
They're the best team in the game, it'll last.

AcidLake
05-08-10, 08:34 PM
as soon as Johnson goes down Tex gets hot...

roblyo33
05-08-10, 08:45 PM
as soon as Johnson goes down Tex gets hot...

cause and effect??

JfromJersey
05-08-10, 09:16 PM
scary how well we're doing with Posada, Mo, Cano, Gardner, Johnson and no Aceves injured (to varying degrees). How much longer can it last?

Well Tex is just starting to heat up, and Alex is overdue for a homer barrage, so it could last..but the key really is a rotation that (with one exception) has been pretty much lights out.

flymick24
05-08-10, 09:17 PM
the only real injuries i'm concerned about are granderson's and johnson's... everyone else will find a way through their aches and be back in the folod soon enough

dabomb2045
05-08-10, 10:21 PM
the only real injuries i'm concerned about are granderson's and johnson's... everyone else will find a way through their aches and be back in the folod soon enough

Not worried about Granderson....he'll be back next month. Johnson is the injury that could linger and really affect his season.

Veovis
05-08-10, 11:11 PM
The Yankees win makes them 21-8

Every Yankees team that has won 21 of its first 30 games(they'll play #30 on Sunday Night) has made it to the World Series.

This will be the 16th time that they will have won at least 21 of their first 30 games.

Of the previous 15 instances, they made the World Series every time, and won it 12 times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/2110/stats-say-yanks-are-going-to-the-world-series

Ah, if only it were so simple.

NYYDragoon
05-08-10, 11:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/2110/stats-say-yanks-are-going-to-the-world-series

Ah, if only it were so simple.Yes, if only the correlation implied causation when it came to these things.

TampaDude
05-09-10, 11:30 AM
Tex is beasting...even shorthanded, we thumped the Dead Sox with ease...ya gotta love it!

Yeah, I know...it's a long season...but I see the Bombers back in the World Series this fall, going for #28.

machphantom
05-09-10, 11:50 AM
Yes, if only the correlation implied causation when it came to these things.
I'm pretty sure a lot of those years were prolly when they only had the ALCS as well.

mr.roy
05-09-10, 01:28 PM
Normally when one would say that a player is approaching the Mendoza line, it would be bad news, but Teixeira is approaching from below, so yes, that is good news.

Ya know your right. I wasn't thinking about that at all. Right over my head.

groovitude
05-09-10, 01:38 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of those years were prolly when they only had the ALCS as well.More still are probably when the postseason was only the World Series.

The Championship series has only been around since 1969, and the Division series has been around since 1994.

BRNXBMRS
05-10-10, 07:49 AM
2/3 everytime from Boston.

Bozidar
05-10-10, 08:07 AM
i could not possibly hate this thread more

Gusto
05-10-10, 08:33 AM
i could not possibly hate this thread more

yet you visit, read and post

deadrabbit79
05-10-10, 09:37 AM

Johnson... eh... not that you ever want to see someone get hurt especially on the team you root for but...... his injury(which there was bound to be at least one during the season) opens the door for the yanks to catch cervelli on a regular basis and DH posada. I think the yanks might be stronger that way.

Gusto
05-10-10, 09:54 AM
Johnson... eh... not that you ever want to see someone get hurt especially on the team you root for but...... his injury(which there was bound to be at least one during the season) opens the door for the yanks to catch cervelli on a regular basis and DH posada. I think the yanks might be stronger that way.

Possibly, but neither Posada or Cervelli can fill the vacant 2-hole.

deadrabbit79
05-10-10, 10:10 AM
Possibly, but neither Posada or Cervelli can fill the vacant 2-hole.

true. do you think gardner could be the answer there?

Bozidar
05-10-10, 11:18 AM
yet you visit, read and posti see it on the main forum, and can't resist. it's an abomination that should be removed.

BronxYanks45
05-10-10, 12:56 PM
my take on the DH situation with Johnson gone:

1. Call up 3rd catcher make Cervelli the starter and Posada the DH.
2. Call up Miranda to take Jonhson's spot
3. Leave Russo on the roster use the DH as a rotation spot for Posada/ARod/Jeter [only problem are days when Cervelli and Posada are in the lineup together in case of injury you lose DH spot]

Dexter Morgan
05-10-10, 02:58 PM
http://twitter.com/BloggingBombers

Dontrelle Willis scratched tonight with an illness. LHP Brad Thomas to start for Tigers.

deadrabbit79
05-10-10, 03:11 PM
http://twitter.com/BloggingBombers

I am going to bet the tigers then! lol Half kidding but half not kidding. In recent past anytime the yanks face a pitcher for the first time or face an emergency starter they have seemd to struggle.

Yankee Tripper
05-10-10, 03:32 PM
true. do you think gardner could be the answer there?actually I like what Girardi is doing - even though gardner doesn't have a noticble L/R split I like Swisher batting 2nd against lefties and Gardner batting 2nd against righties. Different looks with each lineup but both with a chance to be really sucessful.

Yankees13
05-10-10, 09:27 PM
Don't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here. What's with f*cking Valverde storming, stomping, and fistpumping around the mound after every pitch like it's the damn 7th game of the WS. That kind of stuff normally doesn't bother me, but it was so over the top.

jimmykey2
05-10-10, 09:29 PM
It's always annoying to lose a game in which the team squandered 650 opportunities to score more runs.

Oh, BTW... assassinate Valverde tomorrow.

HondaCop
05-10-10, 09:30 PM
Don't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here. What's with f*cking Valverde storming, stomping, and fistpumping around the mound after every pitch like it's the damn 7th game of the WS. That kind of stuff normally doesn't bother me, but it was so over the top.

God forbid Joba does his usual fist pump. Everyone would be calling foul and saying how disrespectful and unprofessional Joba is. I was thinking the same exact thing as I watched Valverde have multiple orgasms on the mound a'la Krod.

NYYDragoon
05-10-10, 09:37 PM
Did ESPN say anything about it? At any rate, it was like he channeled K-Rod.

ojo
05-10-10, 09:37 PM
taking his hat off to pray to some fallen relative i presume. or montezuma. who cares. it's all theatrics meant to get into the other team's head. period.

anyway, i will give him some credit.

he went exclusively splitter/junk from swish through teix.

arod got two high 90s heaters right over the heart of the plate to start his AB...he didn't even lift his bat. brilliant gamble...one that paid off with arod deep in the hole.

Ram Man
05-10-10, 10:32 PM
That kind of stuff normally doesn't bother me, but it was so over the top.

And it's been over the top for his entire career.

Yankees13
05-11-10, 12:17 AM
And it's been over the top for his entire career.
Yeah, I guess I never really noticed since he's always been in the NL. His whole demeanor on the mound is annoying to watch, not just the yelling and fistpumping.

BRNXBMRS
05-11-10, 07:35 AM

Hate that, its May not Sept

delv
05-11-10, 08:17 AM
Did ESPN say anything about it? At any rate, it was like he channeled K-Rod.

he always does that. he's a little crazy

R.V.47
05-11-10, 12:40 PM
Valverde took it a little far last night but I cant complain about it. If the players dont like it, then get some hits off him.

BronxYanks45
05-11-10, 12:59 PM
Mitre wasnt that bad, yankee bats didnt wake up with bases loaded

Hitman23
05-11-10, 02:58 PM
Don't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here. What's with f*cking Valverde storming, stomping, and fistpumping around the mound after every pitch like it's the damn 7th game of the WS. That kind of stuff normally doesn't bother me, but it was so over the top.Yeah I agree I don't mind emotional and fired up things but what he was doing looked just crazy and weird. And not the competitive mean crazy, the type where I picture Nelson popping on the field to say "HA-HA!"

mr.roy
05-11-10, 04:37 PM
How's that bull pen look if Joba wasn't in it now?

BRNXBMRS
05-12-10, 07:53 AM
The Yankees have heard plenty of people around the game grumble about Joba Chamberlain's fist-pumping antics since he broke into the league in August of 2007, so it would have been hypocritical for them to criticize Valverde for his - even if Valverde's actions make Chamberlain look modest and humble.

"He's done it his whole career, so it was nothing out of the ordinary," Joe Girardi said of Valverde. "There are ways to combat that; you can score a couple runs. It's something he's always done and it's just who he is. It's the world we live in now."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/05/12/2010-05-12_detroit_tigers_closer_jose_valverde_fits_pumps_way_to_victory_new_york_yankees_d.html

mr.roy
05-12-10, 08:07 AM
Yankee fans can sure turn a mole hill into a mountain.

BRNXBMRS
05-12-10, 08:27 AM
Yankee fans can sure turn a mole hill into a mountain.

So could the national media, when Joba was dancing around the mound.

Veovis
05-12-10, 09:54 AM
Wait, so the Yankees play a double header today, and then a day game on Thursday? Good Lord.

mr.roy
05-12-10, 11:21 AM
So could the national media, when Joba was dancing around the mound.

It's lonely at the top.
Almost every fan/media of every other baseball city/team is biased.
I guess Yankee fans need to speak out.

BRNXBMRS
05-12-10, 11:29 AM
Wait, so the Yankees play a double header today, and then a day game on Thursday? Good Lord.

Yes and Vasquez is pitching in the first game and Ace is on the DL.

deadrabbit79
05-12-10, 11:31 AM
Yes and Vasquez is pitching in the first game and Ace is on the DL.

and its a wonderful day here in new york

iWant27
05-12-10, 02:35 PM
Damon and Matsui have left the lineups and their replacements are nowhere to be seen. I guess there won't be too many come from behind wins this season.

mal1219
05-12-10, 02:40 PM
At this point, would much rather have Cervelli's bat in the lineup. DH Posada:

Jeter
Gardner
Teix
A-Rod
Cano
Posada
Swisher
Cervelli
Winn/Thames

Although with the spacious outfield in DET, I sincerely hope Joe doesn't let Thames play LF.

deadrabbit79
05-12-10, 02:41 PM
Damon and Matsui have left the lineups and their replacements are nowhere to be seen. I guess there won't be too many come from behind wins this season.

I see them perfectly, they are over there sitting on the DL. Nick Johnson on the DL...would have never seen that coming!

NYYDragoon
05-12-10, 02:54 PM
Wait. Did Javy pitch well but get no run support? That's kinda annoying.

flymick24
05-12-10, 02:56 PM
that's what you call a guy who can't win

Hellsing
05-12-10, 03:05 PM
that's what you call a guy who can't win

Also known as a loser.

flymick24
05-12-10, 03:06 PM
woah, woah, calm down with those smart-alec remarks... you just came back from a suspension, remember?

Dave B
05-12-10, 03:11 PM
Always nice to get shut out by the guy with the 1.86 WHIP coming in.

Louisville Slugger
05-12-10, 03:14 PM
Who wants to bet next game Javy pitches, Yanks score 10 runs, but Javy gives up 11? lol, damn this is frustrating.

It is still early though.

roblyo33
05-12-10, 04:30 PM
Who wants to bet next game Javy pitches, Yanks score 10 runs, but Javy gives up 11? lol, damn this is frustrating.

It is still early though.

I'll take that bet.

THEBOSS84
05-12-10, 04:34 PM
Always nice to get shut out by the guy with the 1.86 WHIP coming in.

Yes, that's Porcello's true talent level. Kinda like Vazquez and his 2.043 WHIP and 9.73 ERA coming in.

Mark19
05-12-10, 08:22 PM
Kevin Long should let these guys know that they don't have to swing at every pitch

Dave B
05-12-10, 08:26 PM
Yes, that's Porcello's true talent level. Kinda like Vazquez and his 2.043 WHIP and 9.73 ERA coming in.
Thanks for pointing that out. I never would've known that otherwise.

The point is that he's been pitching like crap against everyone... how convenient that he figured it out against the Yankees. He couldn't have waited five days?

R.V.47
05-13-10, 08:02 AM

Because most days the yankees are winning easily. Id rather have that than walk offs.

the_coach
05-13-10, 10:56 AM
Miranda called up...in the lineup at 1B...Tex DH...

Mark Teixeira will be the designated hitter in Thursday's game against the Tigers.

With Nick Johnson on the disabled list, Yankees manager Joe Girardi will use the designated hitter spot to give his star players a bit of a breather. The newly-recalled Juan Miranda will start at first base and bat seventh against Justin Verlander.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&id=4884

Didn't think it needed an new thread...and there's no gameday thread...

Mark19
05-13-10, 12:55 PM
Astonishing how bad the offense is right now, May is going to be a tough month is Jeter doesn't break out of his slump and Alex hits only singles

Dave B
05-13-10, 02:17 PM
This is embarrassing, but until just now, I had been under the impression that Ivan Nova was a white russian/eastern European kid.

teknetic
05-13-10, 02:30 PM
Astonishing how bad the offense is right now, May is going to be a tough month is Jeter doesn't break out of his slump and Alex hits only singles

Fairly certain they went through this last May.

AnA-bombforA-rod
05-13-10, 03:00 PM
Jeter, Tex, and A-Rod need to start hitting.

liv2create
05-13-10, 03:16 PM
Bronx bomberers we are not. We look like a bunch of anemic singles hitters.

As nice a guy and Randy Winn appears to be , he is just is not Yankee caliber.

NYYDragoon
05-13-10, 03:23 PM
Astonishing how bad the offense is right now, May is going to be a tough month is Jeter doesn't break out of his slump and Alex hits only singlesWhen Mark starts with these posts you know it's officially a season.

mal1219
05-13-10, 03:26 PM
As nice a guy and Randy Winn appears to be , he is just is not Yankee caliber.

Him, Posada and Gardner had the best AB's today. I agree that Winn is not enough a hitter to hit lower than 8th or 9th, but at least he was taking pitches and fouling them off.

mr.roy
05-13-10, 03:29 PM
Shutout 2 of the last 3 games. Doesn't happen very often.
Tigers have good pitching. Bonderman gave up only 2 R, even though the Yankees scored 8. They have to do better against good pitchers or it's 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.

teknetic
05-13-10, 03:42 PM
Shutout 2 of the last 3 games. Doesn't happen very often.
Tigers have good pitching. Bonderman gave up only 2 R, even though the Yankees scored 8. They have to do better against good pitchers or it's 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.

Bonderman sucks. Porcello is good, but he's not the type of pitcher that should be putting up zeroes against us for 8 innings.

CoyoteYankee
05-13-10, 04:32 PM
I'm hoping that being home will kick start the team again.

22 games away versus only 12 games at home had to be a brutal way to start off the season.

The Q Bomb
05-13-10, 04:38 PM
I don't think even Seattle has been shut-out two out of three games. Embarassing, indeed!

A-Rod needs to visit his cousin in Canada.
Teixeira needs to start hitting .550 to make up for April.
Am I imagining things or do a lot of balls hit by the opposition seem to be "getting through" "up the middle", a la 2008?
Did Cano get hexed?

JfromJersey
05-13-10, 04:48 PM
This has been our 1st poor 5 game stretch of the season. The team looks tired and has been banged up. We've also run into some hot pitching of late.
Who would have thought at this point our best starter by far would be named Hughes? Worried. No. It's May 13, and we're 10 games over .500.

mr.roy
05-13-10, 04:54 PM
Don't forget 4/22-4/27. Lost 4 of 5.

ZIM 2002
05-13-10, 04:58 PM
This team needs to remember what happened when the Twins came in last spring, and hope they can do it again - even without Melky!

brosiusbuddy
05-13-10, 05:29 PM
Joe G needs to stop this revolving door at DH. They should call up a catcher and stick Jorge at DH and start Cervelli behind the plate. As long as Cervelli has been hitting as well as he has, they should try to ride it out as long as they're in injury trouble. Thames is awful and I don't really want to rely on Miranda at DH in the 7th or 8th spot.

Miranda and Winn need permanent bench spots as hitters against lefties/righties.

Golson can be the backup outfielder defensively.

Lineup oughtta be

Jeter
Gardner
Teixeira
Arod
Cano
Posada
Swisher
Cervelli
Winn

At least til we start getting healthy players back.

brosiusbuddy
05-13-10, 05:31 PM
And another thing...

Where is Jermaine Dye right now? Isn't he a better DH/OF option than Thames and Miranda? He can be had for cheap, can't he?

cupcollector99
05-13-10, 06:00 PM
The team has been on a pretty good tear lately, all the injuries have caught up and they look a little tired. I'd rather them get this out of the way early.

snarkerella
05-13-10, 06:06 PM
And another thing...

Where is Jermaine Dye right now? Isn't he a better DH/OF option than Thames and Miranda? He can be had for cheap, can't he?

He can't be had for cheap at all, that's why he's not here, I suspect.

CyYoung4Vazquez
05-13-10, 06:06 PM
And another thing...

I was wondering about that as well. Also it's a stretch but the Rangers released Garko today...(grasping at straws)

JohnnyDamonfan
05-13-10, 06:17 PM
And another thing...

I don't think so. Take into account that they both play in the American League and most AL teams try to steal as much as they can from us.

iWant27
05-13-10, 06:54 PM
I think Yankees should try to trade for Manny from Dodgers.

Dave B
05-13-10, 07:10 PM
I don't think so. Take into account that they both play in the American League and most AL teams try to steal as much as they can from us.
He's a free agent.

JohnnyDamonfan
05-14-10, 07:06 AM
He's a free agent.

He said he wanted to trade for Dye. We do need someone to fill Johnson's shoes. I would love Damon but as of right now we have a 99 percent chance of not getting him back. Damon's playing good. The Tigers are playing good. They are in the same league all signs point to Damon being gone.

NewEraYanks2527
05-14-10, 07:09 AM
F'N injuries. That's my comment as of right now...oh and Phil Hughes rules!

BRNXBMRS
05-14-10, 08:16 AM
This team is flat right now.

aeromac76
05-14-10, 08:47 AM
This team is flat right now.
I'd imagine they are spent.
Almost entirely on the road, only off days have been long travel days.
Doubleheader, tough schedule. Injuries on a daily basis.

The schedule looked horrible early, but realistically, we are 22-12 with what has to be the hardest schedule in terms of teams we have played and road trips.

We've likely taken this seasons' hardest punch, and are not even really bloodied badly.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-14-10, 08:50 AM

The schedule looked horrible early, but realistically, we are 22-12 with what has to be the hardest schedule in terms of teams we have played and road trips.

We've likely taken this seasons' hardest punch, and are not even really bloodied badly.

And, realistically, our record is still better than where it is likely to end up at the end of the year. Hard to be anything but thrilled with where we are and the development of our players. Aside from a few disappointing indvidual starts, they are in great shape.

BRNXBMRS
05-14-10, 09:27 AM

Back in ST I and probably everyone wouldve signed up for +10 over & 2 games out on 5/14. Its just probably taking a toll on this team, they need some life injected to it.

Resistable Force
05-14-10, 10:24 AM
Hi.

Does anyone know how many come-from-behind wins the Yankees have had this year? The only one I can recall off the top of my head is the third game of the season when they tied the game in the eighth inning at Fenway and won in extras on Granderson's home run. I'm also curious as to what their record is when they trail after seven innings. Last year's team had a lot of come-from-behind wins, but I'm not seeing that same fight from this year's team (yet). Maybe they haven't had as many opportunities, which is why I'm asking.