PDA

View Full Version : Terry Francona is a jerk, evidence inside

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 01:12 PM
Thought you guys might be interested in a first-hand account of how Francona treated a young reporter like crap yesterday and behaved like a total bully. Right now it's just a text story, but there will be audio tonight. Link is in my signature.

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 01:19 PM
Why did he call him coach to begin with?

And what kind of market is there for a Yankees-Duke-Giants blog?

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-02-10, 01:22 PM
I hate you so much.

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 01:22 PM
Why did he call him coach to begin with?

And what kind of market is there for a Yankees-Duke-Giants blog?

Nick definitely made a mistake calling him coach...he knows his baseball, so I'm assuming it was a nerves thing. He works for a very small paper in Florida and is a young guy. It's rare for him to be around someone as famous as Francona, so I think it came out by accident.

The market is seasonal...I'm getting a ton of hits the past few months because of Duke's run. Blog is a year old and growing.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-02-10, 01:23 PM
It just sounds like hazing a young reporter to me. That's pretty much the culture in baseball

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 01:23 PM
Thought you guys might be interested in a first-hand account of how Francona treated a young reporter like crap yesterday and behaved like a total bully. Right now it's just a text story, but there will be audio tonight. Link is in my signature.

Thanks for letting us know you have a blog and we should click on it! :)

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 01:26 PM
Thanks for letting us know you have a blog and we should click on it! :)

No longer do I have to click on three different blogs to read about the Giants, Yankees and Duke! It's all conveniently in one place!!

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 01:29 PM
No longer do I have to click on three different blogs to read about the Giants, Yankees and Duke! It's all conveniently in one place!!

The greater service is tying up three different awful blogs in one place and sparing the rest of the internet.

I'm A Wenner!
04-02-10, 01:31 PM
As much as I'd like to believe that Francona is a jerk, I'm not clicking on that spam post. I'm looking forward to this guy being banned soon.

West Texas
04-02-10, 01:32 PM
It just sounds like hazing a young reporter to me. That's pretty much the culture in baseball
Same here.

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 01:34 PM
As much as I'd like to believe that Francona is a jerk, I'm not clicking on that spam post. I'm looking forward to this guy being banned soon.

Basically heres what happened

-His friend called Terry "coach"

-Terry put on his mean face and got all snuffly about it

-The other sports writers felt bad for his friend and made him a ham sandwich while giving him backrubs to make him feel better

-Terry is a meanie.

Mark19
This doesn't mean he's a jerk, it just means that your friend annoyed him

LazyEyeLou
Hazing is when you play a prank on someone. Embarrassing a young writer for no reason other than you don't like being called 'coach' is just being a dick.

I'm A Wenner!
This doesn't mean he's a jerk, it just means that your friend annoyed him

And his friend's friend is annoying me by posting dumb stuff where it doesn't belong.

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 01:37 PM
Hazing is when you play a prank on someone. Embarrassing a young writer for no reason other than you don't like being called 'coach' is just being a dick.

If you're friend is too nervous to call Terry by anything other than coach he has no business asking him questions.

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 01:39 PM
If you're friend is too nervous to call Terry by anything other than coach he has no business asking him questions.

I like that he called it an "exclusive." Of course it's exclusive, no one else gives a sh*t.

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 01:39 PM

So you think a simple mistake deserves total humiliation? That's pretty hard line. I don't buy that for a second, sorry. And I don't think the fact that Francona has won two titles or is revered by the Massholes is reason enough to excuse him being a jerk to anyone.

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 01:40 PM
I like that he called it an "exclusive." Of course it's exclusive, no one else gives a sh*t.

Exclusive: The Burger King by Wall Street has run out of buns! Repeat, Burger King by Wall Street out of buns!! News at 11.

Mark19
04-02-10, 01:42 PM
So you think a simple mistake deserves total humiliation? That's pretty hard line. I don't buy that for a second, sorry. And I don't think the fact that Francona has won two titles or is revered by the Massholes is reason enough to excuse him being a jerk to anyone.

Total humiliation would be if the Red Sox flashed naked photos of him from the jumbotron

A sports big shot got a little testy, a few reporters chuckled and everyone forgot about it within 20 minutes, except your oversensitive buddy

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 01:42 PM

Stop trying to rally the troops here on this one with some good old fashioned Red Sox hatred. This was just a transparent attempt to get people going to and talking about your blog.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-02-10, 01:43 PM

haz·ing   /ˈheɪzɪŋ/ Show Spelled[hey-zing]

–noun
subjection to harassment or ridicule.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hazing

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 01:43 PM

How is that humiliation? I think your buddy has too thin skin.

I covered MMA for 3-4 years. We were on a conference call with Kimbo Slice and Ray Mercer. My buddy asked a question that pissed Kimbo off. Kimbo, over the phone, during the conference call threatened to beat up my friend. The question was done, he moved on to the next, and the next week we were interviewing him in his locker room. We didn't cry about it, it's just part of the job.

pjfan
04-02-10, 01:44 PM
Stop trying to rally the troops here on this one with some good old fashioned Red Sox hatred. This was just a transparent attempt to get people going to and talking about your blog.

Bingo

"Total humiliation"? If you're buddy still has aspirations to become a reporter, he should probably get some thicker skin.

nnysiny
04-02-10, 01:45 PM
in before the lock

Brick Tamland
04-02-10, 01:46 PM
I really wanted the reason for this thread to be much better than it was. Maybe he's a jerk and maybe he isn't, but your boy Nick comes off pretty ignorant calling him "coach", even if it was nerves. And it seems like Francona just took a couple of mean-spirited but harmless jabs at him when he followed up with his question. Not a big deal.

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 01:47 PM

Just so everyone's aware of what's going on here, 'President Kennedy' followed me around thread to threat all last regular season, and he's checked my blog at least once a week since.

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 01:49 PM
How is that humiliation? I think your buddy has too thin skin.

I covered MMA for 3-4 years. We were on a conference call with Kimbo Slice and Ray Mercer. My buddy asked a question that pissed Kimbo off. Kimbo, over the phone, during the conference call threatened to beat up my friend. The question was done, he moved on to the next, and the next week we were interviewing him in his locker room. We didn't cry about it, it's just part of the job.

He's not losing sleep over this, and he's not going to quit or file a lawsuit or something. Really, I just thought this was an interesting look at the character of a guy who is supposedly unimpeachable. I'm looking forward to the audio tonight. What I'm not trying to do is cost him his job or anything like that.

wwjdd
04-02-10, 01:50 PM
Just so everyone's aware of what's going on here, 'President Kennedy' followed me around thread to threat all last regular season, and he's checked my blog at least once a week since.

This isn't going to end well.

I have no idea whether Francona was hazing your friend, had indigestion, or whatever. But as others have said, it's hardly an international incident. And since, by most accounts, Francona seems to be a genuinely nice guy, pardon me if I don't leap to the same conclusion that you do.

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 01:51 PM
:lol: Yeah? I did? What super Googlizer tool do you use that tells you which anonymous poster on a baseball message board visits your dumb blog?

You're half right about one thing though: everyone is already well aware of what's going on here.

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 01:52 PM
He's not losing sleep over this, and he's not going to quit or file a lawsuit or something. Really, I just thought this was an interesting look at the character of a guy who is supposedly unimpeachable. I'm looking forward to the audio tonight. What I'm not trying to do is cost him his job or anything like that.

Trust me, I seriously doubt anyone is going to read your blog and get your buddy fired.

You, or him, is being a baby about this. This isn't news. It's not an exclusive. It happens all the time. I've been to a ton of press conferences and seen people called out. Sometimes it was me, sometimes the person deserved, sometimes they didn't. But I never saw anyone give a crap about it.

Posting the audio means your buddy gave you the audio, which means he thinks this is a scoop, which is sad.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-02-10, 01:52 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously, you are coming across as young, naive, and perhaps a bit self-important

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 01:53 PM
This isn't going to end well.

I have no idea whether Francona was hazing your friend, had indigestion, or whatever. But as others have said, it's hardly an international incident. And since, by most accounts, Francona seems to be a genuinely nice guy, pardon me if I don't leap to the same conclusion that you do.

Believe me, I don't think it's an international incident either. By the reactions to this thread you'd think I titled it 'OMG FRANCONA SHOULD BE FIRED FOR ABUSE!1!!'

I just think he acted like a jerk, and to me, that's interesting.

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 01:55 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously, you are coming across as young, naive, and perhaps a bit self-important

I have no delusions of importance. The 'exclusive' part is tongue-in-cheek, since my blog isn't an 'exclusive' type of blog, and the statement above was meant to convey that I don't mistake myself as important enough to have any real effect on Francona or the Red Sox or anyone else.

I have to get going, but honestly, all this thread was intended to do was showcase an interesting side of Francona's personality. That's it.

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 01:57 PM
I have no delusions of importance. The 'exclusive' part is tongue-in-cheek, since my blog isn't an 'exclusive' type of blog, and the statement above was meant to convey that I don't mistake myself as important enough to have any real effect on Francona or the Red Sox or anyone else.

I'm betting the problem was that your blog was pretty exclusive - you and a few friends were the only ones reading it.

I have to get going, but honestly, all this thread was intended to do was showcase an interesting side of Francona's personality. That's it.

WHERE YA GOIN? I WANNA FOLLOW YA!!! :lol: :lol:

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-02-10, 01:58 PM

If you are really going to cover sports, you need to better understand the culture of the locker room. This was pretty traditional hazing -- your buddy just overreacted to it. It's probably not uncommon in an era when anyone can start a blog and think they are a journalist, but you are still dealing with that culture when you enter the clubhouse.

DontHateOnNumber2
04-02-10, 01:59 PM
LazyEyeLou, does your blog have a "Babe of the Day" section or something similar? If not, I'm not interested.

To be real, I'm not interested anyways. This thread has made me chuckle a bit, if only because it's become the internet equivalent of OZ, and you're the one getting your hands held behind your back.

yanke26
04-02-10, 02:01 PM
This was a "boom goes the dynamite" moment if I ever saw one.

Oh and blogs are the spawn of Satan.

CoyoteYankee
04-02-10, 02:21 PM
I knew this was going to happen the instant I saw this thread and read the first post (I know, I'm a genius). :lol: So instead of replying I decided to just sit back and enjoy.

NYYRules#1
04-02-10, 02:27 PM
The only person being a jerk is your friend who's trying to make a mountain out of a molehill and is trying to make Francona look bad for zero reason.

If the guy is going to call a manager "coach" and then is going to get all bent out of shape when the manager calls him out on that, he doesn't belong covering a major league team.

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 02:31 PM

No, your threads intent was to get us to visit your blog and to try and get support for your buddy, which in all honestly is probably you.

Francona was a jerk to "Nick"? Rabble! Rabble rabble rabble!

Hooligan Tavarez
04-02-10, 02:35 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=55061&st=0&#entry2874862

:lol: :lol:

nnysiny
04-02-10, 02:40 PM
the "evidence" is overhwelming

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 02:42 PM

If this is what we did, imagine what SoSH will do. Yeesh

Meecham4ever
04-02-10, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the link! The news that Coach K. was coming to coach the Nets, and that Dave Megget will be on "Celebrity Apprentice" next season, made the visit to your blog well worth the click!

Rice14
04-02-10, 02:51 PM

Thanks, I never knew Francona had a "momentarily annoyed" facet to his personality.

He's a complex man.

WordToBigBird
04-02-10, 03:13 PM
Is this supposed to be a day-late April fool's joke? This is ridiculous.

I saw another article saying Francona only tipped 20% on his tab at a local restaurant. What a jerk!

NYYDragoon
04-02-10, 03:22 PM
Just so everyone's aware of what's going on here, 'President Kennedy' followed me around thread to threat all last regular season, and he's checked my blog at least once a week since.Yes, yes, everyone knows about him, but this doesn't change the fact that this is a misleading thread title aimed at trying to advertise your site. Not cool.

BonusCantos
04-02-10, 03:24 PM
I don't read no stinkin' Duke blogs.

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 03:27 PM
Yes, yes, everyone knows about him, but this doesn't change the fact that this is a misleading thread title aimed at trying to advertise your site. Not cool.

What's funny is it really would be damning of me if I were reading that blog once a week.

LazyEyeLou
04-02-10, 03:55 PM
Yes, yes, everyone knows about him, but this doesn't change the fact that this is a misleading thread title aimed at trying to advertise your site. Not cool.

Just caught up. I do apologize if I misled anyone. Yes, it's true that traffic was directed to my site, but I thought that was fair game since I haven't pimped my blog on here ever before, and this was a "story" that I legitimately dug up. Maybe you take issue with the quality of the story, or even that it's a story at all, but the blog was the source. In other words, I didn't copy it from ESPN or whatever. As far as misleading people, I honestly didn't intend that. I thought Francona acted like a jerk, and that's what I said in the post. I stand by that.

I asked Nick (my reporter friend who took Francona's ire) if the Boston media were super kiss-assy with Francona, and this was his response: "You have no idea. They talk to him really quietly and in these rehearsed tones." He claims the audio is funny. I'll post that tonight....ON MY BLOG!

jeterdaman
04-02-10, 04:00 PM
Don't we have enough reasons to hate the Red Sox where we don't have to contrive non stories?

NYYDragoon
04-02-10, 04:03 PM
Yes, it's true that traffic was directed to my site, but I thought that was fair game since I haven't pimped my blog on here ever before...
It may not be against the CS, but you'll still get grief for it. Especially when you start a new thread to do so.

Reggie Smith
04-02-10, 04:34 PM
I'm honestly not sure what I enjoy/annoyed by more, the beating Nathan takes in the Sox thread or this one.

Hmmm...keep at it, see if you can sway my vote.

(wait until your reporter friend finds out Francona stole his milk money, too).

DEADSOX
04-02-10, 04:44 PM
This thread sucks.

snarkerella
04-02-10, 04:50 PM

This might be the only time I've ever actually wanted to read SOSH

Rice14
04-02-10, 05:29 PM

I asked Nick (my reporter friend who took Francona's ire) if the Boston media were super kiss-assy with Francona, and this was his response: "You have no idea. They talk to him really quietly and in these rehearsed tones." He claims the audio is funny. I'll post that tonight....ON MY BLOG!

Perhaps your friend should have rehearsed a little more.

yanke26
04-02-10, 05:40 PM
Please visit my blog: ww.blogspot/coachfranconaisajerkandineedattention

President Kennedy
04-02-10, 05:42 PM

I think you should use Drudge sirens with each new update.

Yankeeah
04-02-10, 06:08 PM
Just caught up. I do apologize if I misled anyone. Yes, it's true that traffic was directed to my site, but I thought that was fair game since I haven't pimped my blog on here ever before, and this was a "story" that I legitimately dug up. Maybe you take issue with the quality of the story, or even that it's a story at all, but the blog was the source. In other words, I didn't copy it from ESPN or whatever. As far as misleading people, I honestly didn't intend that. I thought Francona acted like a jerk, and that's what I said in the post. I stand by that.

Legitimately dug up? Your "friend" called you and whined to you about what happened. There is no digging in that, the story fell into your lap. You are bragging about being the source of a complete non issue story.

Stick Michael
04-02-10, 06:29 PM
So, some guy got yelled at by a guy with a good rep and was probably just having a bad day. Alrighty then.