PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or has this seemed like the most quiet spring training since...whenever

Bozidar
03-20-10, 02:29 AM
There just seems to be so little going on. Maybe it's my attention elsehwere this year, but when i check the sports sites i just see very little chatter about anything Yankees.

I kinda like it.. keep things quiet, relaxed.. focus on the players getting ready, and not the drama for once.

Yogi
03-20-10, 08:00 AM
There just seems to be so little going on. Maybe it's my attention elsehwere this year, but when i check the sports sites i just see very little chatter about anything Yankees.

I kinda like it.. keep things quiet, relaxed.. focus on the players getting ready, and not the drama for once.

True enough and that is fine with me. There are a lot of subplots worth watching though -- who is number 5 and is one of those guys (Gaudin) going to get traded to another team?....do we keep 2 lefties?..... what do we do in the outfield? It is going to be exciting to see who goes and who stays over the next couple weeks.

Plus - I am really upbeat on the spring that some of the young guys are having - Curtis, Weber, Montero and Romine especially. Love the way that ball jumps off Curtis' bat!

nnysiny
03-20-10, 08:07 AM
no news is good news. Cashman has done a great job of making distractions are as little as possible, whether it be the clubhouse turnover or making sure no one talks about Jeter/Mo extensions until the season's over

Crash Davis
03-20-10, 08:26 AM

Maybe people got a lil' distracted watching the Olympics and Ryan Miller hold it down for Team USA's Hockey Team. Or Vonn on the slopes ;) Truthfully, I think people always get a lil' sidetracked by the Men's NCAA March Madness anyways. As soon as all these games are done, the Yanks will be playing the Red Sox on April 4th. Works like a charm :)

ppa79
03-20-10, 08:27 AM
Thats what winning a championship does.

JDPNYY
03-20-10, 08:52 AM
The Yankees just aren't a circus anymore. That's what happens when you get rid of the Torre influence.

BronxYanks45
03-20-10, 09:04 AM
the more quiet the better lets just hope we can get into the regular season in a nice groove

Thunder22
03-20-10, 10:22 AM
For once, spring training isn't a 3 ring circus. It's been a long time since that was the case, in fact, I've been a Yankee fan since the late 60's and I can't remember a more quiet ST.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
03-20-10, 10:26 AM
I thought it was me just not paying much attention to ST. I have though, so I guess it really just has been quiet.

hardrain
03-20-10, 10:31 AM
sits well with me...

Eldee5
03-20-10, 11:18 AM
Amen.

delv
03-21-10, 10:28 AM
True enough and that is fine with me. There are a lot of subplots worth watching though -- who is number 5 and is one of those guys (Gaudin) going to get traded to another team?....do we keep 2 lefties?..... what do we do in the outfield? It is going to be exciting to see who goes and who stays over the next couple weeks.

Plus - I am really upbeat on the spring that some of the young guys are having - Curtis, Weber, Montero and Romine especially. Love the way that ball jumps off Curtis' bat!

Don't be fooled.

over a 4 years in the minors, he has hit .264/.334/.375

dadrumma
03-21-10, 12:38 PM

just another reason why the yankees winning a championship is such a great thing

bigjf
03-21-10, 03:45 PM
I like it too. Let's keep it this way until April 4th.

theDurk
03-21-10, 03:57 PM
I like it too. Let's keep it this way until April 4th.

Amen, but we know it won't last. The circling vultures of the NY sports media will soon be tearing at whatever pieces of gossip they can to attract readers, viewers and listeners. Enjoy the calm while you still can.

Cool Papa B.
03-21-10, 07:11 PM
The only concern I have about spring training is the cancelled games. Today was the 2nd game that was cancelled due to rain. With the pitchers inparticular, I wonder how that might affect their getting ready for the season.

yankeesrule
03-22-10, 10:57 PM
The only concern I have about spring training is the cancelled games. Today was the 2nd game that was cancelled due to rain. With the pitchers inparticular, I wonder how that might affect their getting ready for the season.

The good news is the Yankees start the season with Boston and TB, both of which are in the Grapefruit league and whose pitchers are also affected by the weather.

By the time the Yankees play the Angels on the home opener, all pitchers will have had the one extra start they may have missed in Spring Training.

Blazer
03-22-10, 11:05 PM
Could it be because of the absence of new high priced FA's and the fact that the two (three including Thames) new guys are rather low key individuals.

Jeter Kid
03-22-10, 11:12 PM
I've enjoyed the quietness to be honest.

OTOH, cannot wait for April 4th!

Mark19
03-22-10, 11:14 PM
You just had to jinx it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/sports/baseball/23arod.html

Jeter Kid
03-22-10, 11:33 PM
You just had to jinx it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/sports/baseball/23arod.html

A-Rod and quiet Springs are like puppies and shotguns.

teknetic
03-22-10, 11:37 PM
A complete non-issue.

Mark19
03-23-10, 08:18 AM
A complete non-issue.

If A-Rod was stupid enough to use HGH to make his remarkable recovery from hip surgery, that could be a major, major distraction for the defending champs. That being said, it seems unlikely and I doubt the doctor who performed the procedure would keep quiet about it.

NewEraYanks2527
03-23-10, 08:43 AM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

aeromac76
03-23-10, 10:27 AM
I like quiet spring trainings, and the cause is twofold.
There are, for the most part, two major reasons for big news in spring training.

1) Injuries

2) Controversy (who did drugs, manager getting fired, player not happy with role)

Seeing little to none of either of these is fine with me and I hope it stays that way.

Bozidar
03-23-10, 11:21 AM
I like quiet spring trainings, and the cause is twofold.
There are, for the most part, two major reasons for big news in spring training.

1) Injuries

2) Controversy (who did drugs, manager getting fired, player not happy with role)

Seeing little to none of either of these is fine with me and I hope it stays that way.once the regular season takes over there's only one thing that keeps things calm and quiet - winning.

yankeesjetsfan
03-23-10, 12:41 PM
Dispite the whole Arod thing, it has been a quiet spring. I think the second guessing will come when Girardi picks the 5th man in the rotation. No matter who it is, there will be a group asking why Joba is in the pen when he has no innings restrictions or why Hughes is dispite having a better spring. I love the fact that it has been quiet. I'm sure the fireworks will start April 4th.

Mike

PeteRFNY
03-23-10, 01:19 PM
Even the Arod non-issue issue has been low key. I'm pleased by the ho-hum-ness of it all. That's what you should do when you are waiting on your WS rings.

JeterRodriguezSheff
03-23-10, 01:24 PM
I think it is because we are all less obsessed than we were the last few years now that we won a championship last year. We are less obsessive over "finally" winning 27 so we focus on other things going on in our lives.

Kentucky Bomber
03-23-10, 01:33 PM

Didn't help in the Spring of 1978. This club just gets it, and gets along with it.

Ynkcpt23
03-23-10, 01:58 PM
once the regular season takes over there's only one thing that keeps things calm and quiet - winning.

Oh yeah. I get really calm and quiet when the Yankees are winning...:)

Maynerd
03-24-10, 01:04 PM
once the regular season takes over there's only one thing that keeps things calm and quiet - winning.Not really. Even if we're winning, the first time Robbie boots a ground ball or there's a baserunning error, the calm and quiet will vanish immediately.

GoYanks
03-25-10, 06:51 AM
I agree that it's amazingly quiet. I even went to the 1st Phils/Yanks ST game & even the silence at the game itself was amazing ... b/c fans of these teams are anything but quiet. I do like the quiet though ... let things heat up when the season really begins.

Hitman23
03-25-10, 07:43 AM
I think for the first time since I can remember all the drama is with the Mets.

Cool Papa B.
03-25-10, 05:28 PM
Quiet is good.
Hitters get your AB's in and your timing down. Field balls everyday....Pitchers get your arm strength back, work on locating your pitches....
If you can do that and Get through spring training without any injuries then it's a success. There will be plenty of drama during this grind called the baseball season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ5a09TWFpE

Tifoso
03-25-10, 05:30 PM
since 2000 ;)

snarkerella
03-27-10, 11:46 AM
I saw a comment on LoHud that said the Yankees should be ashamed of what they've done in ST and Girardi should be fired. I am pretty sure it was serious.

allybear
03-27-10, 09:02 PM
I saw a comment on LoHud that said the Yankees should be ashamed of what they've done in ST and Girardi should be fired. I am pretty sure it was serious.

I guess there's one in every crowd. :lol:

But it has been a really quiet spring, I think. I'm thinking it's a good thing - no drama can't be a bad thing!

flymick24
03-27-10, 09:20 PM
pretty boring, if you ask me... they gotta sign barry bonds to a minor league deal and stoke the flames