PDA

View Full Version : Nationals Release Elijah Dukes

Mark19
03-17-10, 09:20 AM
Shocking news, he was projected to start in their outfield -- he is still very young and very talented

-just announced on MASN

The FUTURE
03-17-10, 09:22 AM
pass.

JavyVazquezIsSick
03-17-10, 09:47 AM
I want that.

Yankeeah
03-17-10, 09:53 AM
I want that.

Dukes has been arrested at least three times for battery, and once for assault.<sup id="cite_ref-WFAN_5-0" class="reference"> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_dukes#cite_note-WFAN-5)</sup>According to court records, he fathered at least five children with four women between 2003 and 2006. On May 23, 2007, it was reported that his wife filed a restraining order after he threatened to kill her. On June 12, a 17-year-old foster child who was living in the care of a relative of Dukes accused him of impregnating her. Police said the sex was apparently consensual. When the girl confronted Dukes, he allegedly got angry and threw a bottle of Gatorade at her.

I'm sure living in a quiet town like New York City would be a good influence on him.

Fabien Brandy
03-17-10, 09:54 AM
Plays a strong RF and a career 106 OPS+ against RHP.
Take him over Thames or Hoffman based on age and his 2008 season.

Yankee Fan in Boston
03-17-10, 09:55 AM
I'm sure living in a quiet town like New York City would be a good influence on him.

Oy. So was there any word on why he got released?

Mark19
03-17-10, 09:56 AM
Oy. So was there any word on why he got released?

MLBTR has been updating the story

Apparently it had nothing to do with disciplinary actions and that he had been behaving much better over the last two years. He has had injury problems and 2009 was something of a wash because of them.

Still, if he's got his life together, I'd love ti have him

ShaneTravis
03-17-10, 10:26 AM
This can't be a baseball decision. Must be something off field/clubhouse.

You simply don't throw a $400,000, 25 year old who has fantastic potential off the team.

JavyVazquezIsSick
03-17-10, 10:26 AM

Let him who is without sin cast the first gatorade bottle.

THEBOSS84
03-17-10, 10:28 AM
The Mets should grab him.

effdamets
03-17-10, 10:44 AM
The Mets should grab him.
I just came here to post this!!!!
If they were smart, and we'll find out, they'd hop on that like a bum on a baloney sandwich!

Yankees Empire
03-17-10, 10:52 AM
Wow, you've got to be a massive head case for the Washington freakin' Nationals to say "Nah, no thanks. We're good."

flymick24
03-17-10, 12:33 PM
either that, or they reallly want to start willy tavares

southernNYYfan
03-17-10, 12:37 PM
From the Nats beat guy:

Update (12:36 p.m.): We've done the run of interviews with Mike Rizzo, Jim Riggleman and Justin Maxwell (one possible replacement), and from those interviews, as well as discussions with other team officials, here's my synopsis of what happened:

Elijah Dukes_Home-Fielding.jpg

The Nationals felt Dukes wasn't hitting and wasn't going to finalize adjustments to his swing to recognize off-speed pitches anytime before the season. He wasn't well-liked in the clubhouse, according to sources. Maxwell said there were "distractions" with Dukes in the past, though he wouldn't elaborate on what those were, and Rizzo said the Nationals will be a more "cohesive, united group" without Dukes. His WARP last year was -0.1, meaning he was actually slightly worse than the readily-available replacement.

The Nationals took all that into account and tried to trade him. When they couldn't, they concluded a change of scenery would be best for Dukes, and he couldn't help their organization any further. So they cut him.

Rizzo said "no singular incident" contributed to Dukes being released, a comment echoed by team president Stan Kasten in a statement. Kasten also said people who think otherwise "don't know what they're talking about" - a tacit rebuke of former general manager Jim Bowden, now an analyst for XM and Fox Sports who tweeted this morning that Dukes had been cut because of his "latest incident" and the Nationals enacted their "zero tolerance" policy with the outfielder, who had a history of legal troubles before he came to the Nationals.

But when the Nationals took everything into account, they felt they would gain more from platooning a combination of players in right field and removing Dukes from their clubhouse than they would by keeping him in the lineup. If that doesn't work, it's possible they could pursue a player like free agent Jermaine Dye, though Rizzo said this morning the Nationals have not discussed Dye internally.

For now, though, they're confident enough in what they have to think it's a better combination, on the field and in the clubhouse, than Dukes would be.

kan_t
03-17-10, 12:55 PM
Wow, you've got to be a massive head case for the Washington freakin' Nationals to say "Nah, no thanks. We're good."
Their OF actually is not bad. Their problem is pitching. I want the Yankees grab him.

BigCheese
03-17-10, 02:12 PM
What a waste of talent. Million dollar bat, 10-cent head.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-17-10, 02:20 PM
What a waste of talent. Million dollar bat, 10-cent head.
If you're paying a dime, you're getting taken for a ride. But yeah, he certainly seemed like he could be a real talent if his head was on straight.

flymick24
03-17-10, 03:00 PM
if he's a clubhouse cancer as many reports are stating, there's no way that cash goes after him... his crusade to rid the team of the randy johnsons and carl pavanos of the world would be undone with this one signing

The FUTURE
03-17-10, 03:07 PM
Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times, now thats somebody that can't be trusted.

3 counts of battery...common ? This guy is trash, who cares how far he can hit a baseball.

roblyo33
03-17-10, 03:58 PM
Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times, now thats somebody that can't be trusted.

3 counts of battery...common ? This guy is trash, who cares how far he can hit a baseball.

Please provide some info on your LOVELY avatar!!!

Blaze
03-17-10, 07:36 PM
I think the Pirates should grab him. Why not?

The FUTURE
03-17-10, 09:08 PM
Please provide some info on your LOVELY avatar!!!

Like that do you ?

Nah somebody posted the pic of this lovely blonde headed chick and a brown headed chick in yankee uniforms in one of the forums here and i simply turned it into my avatar.

roblyo33
03-17-10, 10:16 PM
Like that do you ?

Nah somebody posted the pic of this lovely blonde headed chick and a brown headed chick in yankee uniforms in one of the forums here and i simply turned it into my avatar.

Is there a larger version??

The FUTURE
03-18-10, 10:48 PM
Is there a larger version??

yeah the original picture was much larger.