PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer Inks Eight Year Extension with Twins (updated)

JfromJersey
03-11-10, 01:20 PM
I don't believe it, but there was an ESPN Insider article about it. Since I'm not an Insider i couldn't read it the article.

YankeePride1967
03-11-10, 01:21 PM
are you sure it wasn't some reporters idea of a story just to grab attention? I don't see any way they trade him before July 31 and even then only if they are unquestionably out of it and there's no way he'd re-sign. Minnesota would be in revolt!

4bronxbombers
03-11-10, 01:22 PM
omg, i would kill to have him on our team

NYYDragoon
03-11-10, 02:14 PM
There's an opinion piece in the Star-Tribune about this being a possibility IF they can't lock him up. I'm assuming ESPN is just citing that.

So it's not a news piece. Just another possibility in the endless web of them...

I actually think it's more crucial that the Twins sign him now that Nathan looks to be out of it. Opening a new stadium with the closer DL'd and the hometown MVP catcher packing his bags would probably make the local fans riot.

dabomb2045
03-11-10, 02:23 PM
There's an opinion piece in the Star-Tribune about this being a possibility IF they can't lock him up. I'm assuming ESPN is just citing that.

So it's not a news piece. Just another possibility in the endless web of them...

I actually think it's more crucial that the Twins sign him now that Nathan looks to be out of it. Opening a new stadium with the closer DL'd and the hometown MVP catcher packing his bags would probably make the local fans riot.

Would I be off target or just being dramatic....when I say the Twins need to re-sign Mauer, the same way the Cavs need to re-sign LeBron? I see either guy leaving....I see that franchise taking a LONG time to recover, I see the fanbase shrinking and losing alot of their passion.

NYYDragoon
03-11-10, 02:42 PM
Would I be off target or just being dramatic....when I say the Twins need to re-sign Mauer, the same way the Cavs need to re-sign LeBron? I see either guy leaving....I see that franchise taking a LONG time to recover, I see the fanbase shrinking and losing alot of their passion.I see what you did there!

No, you're pretty spot on.

Hellsing
03-11-10, 02:54 PM
Yeah but if you trade him you can get someone's entire farm system!
:P

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-11-10, 02:54 PM
I see what you did there!

Heh..

DontHateOnNumber2
03-11-10, 11:52 PM
If Mauer is traded then the fanbase is gone. Who will they make the face of the franchise? Delmon Young? JJ Hardy? Get out of here with that nonsense. Twins better stop playing around.

cyhughes22
03-12-10, 12:30 AM
On the one hand he'd fetch a king's ransom in a trade and probably actually make them a better on field team within the next few years because they'd have a bigger budget for free agent signings and also some pretty high end cost controlled young talent. On the other hand, you can't underestimate how much it would piss that fan base off if they traded him. I really don't know whether they'd be more upset if he were traded or they lost him in free agency. If he's traded it can only mean that he just didn't want to play there anymore in which case you can't rationally blame the team. On the other hand, if you let him hit free agency and he bolts to Boston or the Yankees for more money the fans are pissed because finances caused them to lose the face of the franchise. I know I'd love to have him if he hits free agency but I just don't see him being traded.

NYYDragoon
03-12-10, 01:10 AM
If Mauer is traded then the fanbase is gone. Who will they make the face of the franchise? Delmon Young? JJ Hardy? Get out of here with that nonsense. Twins better stop playing around.There's that first baseman they have. And Young isn't a ridiculous option.

But yes, this is nonsense.

EDIT: Don't post while exhausted. Delmon Young = bad option. Denard Span = not as much.

yanksphan
03-12-10, 07:53 AM
If Mauer is traded then the fanbase is gone. Who will they make the face of the franchise?

You have to consider who might be coming back....

Brick Tamland
03-12-10, 08:41 AM
If Mauer is traded then the fanbase is gone. Who will they make the face of the franchise? Delmon Young? JJ Hardy? Get out of here with that nonsense. Twins better stop playing around.

Exactly. They won't trade him. There'd be rioting in the streets. I have clients in MN and they can't even fathom life without Joe. They'll get that contract done.

Snatch Catch
03-12-10, 08:57 AM
There's that first baseman they have. And Young isn't a ridiculous option.

But yes, this is nonsense.

I'm very disturbed.

NYYDragoon
03-12-10, 09:03 AM
I'm very disturbed.You should be. It was late last night and I was tired, and I read "Delmon Young" as "Denard Span." Probably because I think all black people look alike.

PrettyinPinstripes
03-12-10, 11:03 AM
I don't believe it. Trading Mauer would be one of the biggest mistakes in Twins history.

JL25and3
03-12-10, 11:16 AM
You have to consider who might be coming back....It doesn't matter. They wouldn't get back anyone - or even any combination of players - who would mean as much to Minnesotans as Mauer does.

JDPNYY
03-12-10, 11:19 AM
It doesn't matter. They wouldn't get back anyone - or even any combination of players - who would mean as much to Minnesotans as Mauer does.

Fran Tarkenton

Eschie
03-12-10, 11:36 AM
You should be. It was late last night and I was tired, and I read "Delmon Young" as "Denard Span." Probably because I think all black people look alike.

I think you missed Snatch's joke :D

DaBliz
03-12-10, 01:13 PM
I think the real question is how much it would take. Obviously his value is a little lower as an upcoming free agent but, if we were to get him, we'd obviously sign him to a huge deal. Jorge's getting up there and can't really be a full-time catcher anymore. Montero is still only a prospect. A very exciting one but even if he reaches his full potential, I doubt he overtakes Mauer. I would give up a lot for this guy. We'd get him right in his prime and it would solve a potential problem at catcher. I'd go in heavy on this.

BronxYanks45
03-13-10, 09:15 AM
I don't believe it. Trading Mauer would be one of the biggest mistakes in Twins history.

exactly, werent they talkin about resigning him to a big extension a few weeks ago

YankeePride1967
03-13-10, 09:36 AM
Joe Mauer isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

Sixty one
03-14-10, 12:08 PM
I think this is too early for an April fools joke......don't you think?

NYYDragoon
03-14-10, 07:08 PM
Despite no news on the subject...

Talks between Joe Mauer and the Twins are not stalled despite an absence of news on the topic, a source with knowledge of the discussions told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Opening Day, which is the likely deadline for Mauer, is still three weeks away.

In November, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports wrote that Mauer would shut down talks at the end of Spring Training. However, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's La Velle E. Neal III, no deadline has been set.

Rosenthal writes that Mauer is still expected to sign an extension of at least seven years for $20MM per season.
From MLBTR. Writers just get bored so they start writing about trade possibilities.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-15-10, 07:03 PM
Over the weekend Pujols was rumored to be traded to Philly for Ryan Howard. That trade isn't gonna go down and neither is this one. I would rather see Montero be a catcher anyway

DiMaggio5CF
03-15-10, 07:23 PM
Over the weekend Pujols was rumored to be traded to Philly for Ryan Howard. That trade isn't gonna go down and neither is this one. I would rather see Montero be a catcher anyway

But what about Pujols for Mauer?

yankeefan122
03-15-10, 07:29 PM
Despite no news on the subject...

From MLBTR. Writers just get bored so they start writing about trade possibilities.

Even worse is that all year we'll hear what if the Yankees don't sign Jeter articles. I'm sure we'll see plenty of those.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-15-10, 07:30 PM

There's always a possibility but I don't think that'll happen.

2PhonesMaccabee
03-15-10, 08:49 PM

The Cards and Twins are both hypothetically going to do the deal due to the inability to sign them to long term deals. Why would you trade a guy who will get a 250 million dollar contract you can't afford for another guy who will get a 250 million dollar contract you can't afford?

Hooligan Tavarez
03-15-10, 08:53 PM
The Cardinals aren't trading Pujols. He has a $16M club option for 2011.

DaBliz
03-15-10, 09:46 PM
Not to mention that the Twins second best player already plays first and the Cards already have an All-Star caliber catcher.

NYYDragoon
03-15-10, 11:19 PM
Even worse is that all year we'll hear what if the Yankees don't sign Jeter articles. I'm sure we'll see plenty of those.Oh, they've already started.

knickfan23
03-17-10, 10:58 AM
Yanks keeping an eye out on Mauer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_yanks_aim_for_big_catch.html

bigjf
03-17-10, 11:27 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_yanks_aim_for_big_catch.html

Along with 28 other teams, I'm sure...

NYYDragoon
03-17-10, 12:13 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_yanks_aim_for_big_catch.htmlWe need the season to start so badly...

I still can't believe it will ever come to that. With their new taxpayer-funded, open air Target Field (on which they refused to spend the extra $10 mil to equip with a retractable roof), the Twins cannot afford to let their hometown catcher leave - and yet there have been some unsettling rumblings out of Minneapolis and Fort Myers that the two sides remain far apart with an opening day deadline looming.I think it was Heyman who said that these "rumblings" are nothing more than media fabrications.

DiMaggio5CF
03-17-10, 01:41 PM
My prediction is that the Twins determine that they can't sign Mauer and they put him on the block. The Yanks go hard after him and offer a package of Montero, Hughes, and Gardner. Then the Twins deal him to the Mets for Daniel Murphy, straight-up.

BigCheese
03-17-10, 03:22 PM
Trading Mauer... potentially good for the Yankees, but admittedly terrible for baseball.

If the Twins can't keep a player like Mauer, then even I'll concede something is wrong.

boog204
03-17-10, 05:28 PM
as great as mauer is, and with the possibility that he'd be 330, 30-100 guy year in and year out, i do not want him on the yanks. it just wouldn't be right and would be terrible for baseball.

DaBliz
03-17-10, 05:39 PM
http://www.farlops.com/images/monty.gif

I'd sign him and Pujols if they hit free agency!

JfromJersey
03-17-10, 06:10 PM
as great as mauer is, and with the possibility that he'd be 330, 30-100 guy year in and year out, i do not want him on the yanks. it just wouldn't be right and would be terrible for baseball.

Yeah, but if he went to the Red Sox, that would be OK, right?

Blaze
03-17-10, 08:46 PM
I'd love to have him, but I think it would be great for the Twinkees and baseball in general if he stays put. Besides, the Yanks have got a few exciting looking prospects at the Catcher position anyways. They may not pan out to be Mauers, but they're still exciting to watch develope.

knickfan23
03-18-10, 10:38 AM
So if we are scoring Mauer on the "bad for baseball" scorecard, these are the results:

Stays with Twins - Great!
Signs with Red Sox - Not terrible.
Signs with Yankees - Bad.

After review, because of the double standard in play, if the Yankees sign him, the baseball world will be over. If he signs with the Red Sox, it's not the worst thing in the world as baseball survives.

THEBOSS84
03-18-10, 10:41 AM
I don't think the Yanks would even have a genuine interest in him, even if he were to become an FA.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-18-10, 10:47 AM
I don't think the Yanks would even have a genuine interest in him, even if he were to become an FA.

I think you're Right now I think you're right. I think they are more interested in seeing if Montero can be a catcher. But I would rather sign him then have him play on the Red Sox.

DEADSOX
03-18-10, 11:10 AM
One thing I'm not a fan of is the stipulation that the Yankees should sign someone just because the Red Sox might Who cares? We can't own every high priced free agent that hits the market.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-18-10, 11:17 AM
One thing I'm not a fan of is the stipulation that the Yankees should sign someone just because the Red Sox might Who cares? We can't own every high priced free agent that hits the market.

In a way you're right but this really isn't just some Joe Schmo. This is someone who could really help the Red Sox and could really help the Yankees. This is a guy who you'd never really expect to hit free agency. He's Young, He's a great catcher, and if he does hit free agency we should at least try to get him but if not we should at least pretend to be in it until the Red Sox pull out and Mauer goes to a NL team while we work on getting Lee, Jeter, Mo.

And there's a 70 percent chance that Mauer will not even hit free agency and thus our focus will be on Jeter, Mo, Lee.

If the Red Sox trade for Mauer I say let them. It's gonna cost them, an arm and a leg.

2PhonesMaccabee
03-18-10, 12:04 PM

I agree but we should drive the price up as high as it will go.

JfromJersey
03-18-10, 12:59 PM
There's a less than 10% probability that the Twins trade Mauer, but if they ever did, the Yankees would be crazy not to try to get him. It's not like trying to get Pujols whose position is already occupied. Posada's days as a full time catcher are just about over, and Mauer is obviously the best C in baseball and will be for the next 5 or 6 years minimum. Montero might never be a good defensive catcher and although his bat is a given, will he ever be as good a hitter as Mauer is now?

JohnnyDamonfan
03-18-10, 01:44 PM
There's a less than 10% probability that the Twins trade Mauer, but if they ever did, the Yankees would be crazy not to try to get him. It's not like trying to get Pujols whose position is already occupied. Posada's days as a full time catcher are just about over, and Mauer is obviously the best C in baseball and will be for the next 5 or 6 years minimum. Montero might never be a good defensive catcher and although his bat is a given, will he ever be as good a hitter as Mauer is now?

By trading? I don't want that. The only way I want Mauer is by free agency. Mauer is just not worth trading 5 or six of our prospects/young guys. All though Mauer is awesome we'll be fine without him . We don't need to trade Joba, Hughes, etc.etc.etc. for him.

JfromJersey
03-18-10, 06:06 PM
By trading? I don't want that. The only way I want Mauer is by free agency. Mauer is just not worth trading 5 or six of our prospects/young guys. All though Mauer is awesome we'll be fine without him . We don't need to trade Joba, Hughes, etc.etc.etc. for him.

It depends who the prospects are. Montero would obviously be 1, but with Mauer you don't need Montero. Who else in the Yankee system is not worth giving up for a guy like Mauer? Of course the Twins would also ask for either Hughes or Joba and I don't think giving up either would wreck the Yankees future. The biggest drawback of course is cost. After factoring in new deals for Jeter and Mo, how much could or would the Yankees be able to pay him with all those humongous contracts on the books after this season?

I don't think Mauer would hurt the Red Sox budget as much, and it would be a scary idea for him to go there, especially if they somehow wind up with Adrian Gonzales. The question would be who they would have to give the Twins?

The more I think it, the scarier the prospect of the Twins trading Mauer becomes..unless he winds up in the NL.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-18-10, 06:39 PM
It depends who the prospects are. Montero would obviously be 1, but with Mauer you don't need Montero. Who else in the Yankee system is not worth giving up for a guy like Mauer? Of course the Twins would also ask for either Hughes or Joba and I don't think giving up either would wreck the Yankees future. The biggest drawback of course is cost. After factoring in new deals for Jeter and Mo, how much could or would the Yankees be able to pay him with all those humongous contracts on the books after this season?

I don't think Mauer would hurt the Red Sox budget as much, and it would be a scary idea for him to go there, especially if they somehow wind up with Adrian Gonzales. The question would be who they would have to give the Twins?

The more I think it, the scarier the prospect of the Twins trading Mauer becomes..unless he winds up in the NL.

You gotta add in Cliff Lee. Who might be signed as well. How will the Red Sox manage to get A-gon AND Mauer? Do they have the trade chips for both? Depending on how much Minnesota is asking Montero/Joba/ etc. doesn't sound like to much. Now, whether the Yankees or Minnesota will do it is another story all together.

Meecham4ever
03-19-10, 06:31 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2803824/joe_mauer_to_the_yankees_would_be_terrible_pg2.html?cat=14

I have another reason, perhaps one more selfish, for wanting Joe Mauer to remain a Minnesota Twin. If Mauer is traded to the Yankees, or signs with them in the offseason, then it really will confirm all the worst that people say about baseball and the Yankees.

When I defend the Yankees and their payroll to people, I point out that while the Yankees spend a lot of money, they do so mainly to keep their own homegrown players in the fold. The Yankees have had through the past fifteen years more homegrown stars than any team in baseball. Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams, Andy Pettitte, and Robinson Cano are all home grown Yankees making large salaries. Yes, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira and CC Sabathia are big time, expensive free agents (though technically, the Yankees acquired A-Rod through a trade), but it's not as if most of the team was simply bought.

But bringing Joe Mauer in would confirm the worst and make it difficult, even for me, to defend it anymore.

Plus, the reality is that as a fan you want to have something to root for. Nobody's favorite basketball team was the Harlem Globetrotters. And while the randomness and vagaries of baseball are far too great for payroll alone to guarantee anything, what fun is it rooting for a team with a mega-star at every position...unless, of course, they were your own homegrown megastars?

Meecham4ever
03-19-10, 06:54 AM
The Yankees won't make a serious play for Mauer even if he's available
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/the-yankees-wont-make-a-serious-play-of-mauer-even-if-hes-available.html.php

In light of that, Joe says, and in light of the fact that they'll still have Jorge Posada under contract and have no fewer than four catchers in their system who could succeed him, why on earth would the Yankees commit $200 million or whatever it is to Mauer?

freebubba
03-19-10, 09:19 AM
With that new ballpark, not achance in hell. Yeah, he wants to get paid, but people, he loves the Twins and I don't think $2-$3 million a year when he's gonna make an ass load of money regardless will be enough for him to go. Now, if they offered him the standard Red Sox 4/40 then he'd go.

NYYDragoon
03-19-10, 09:31 AM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2803824/joe_mauer_to_the_yankees_would_be_terrible_pg2.html?cat=14
On one hand I'm pleased that the author recognizes our homegrown talent. But on the other, it's obnoxious that it will only ruin baseball if it's the Yankees, as opposed to that other big-spending team in the AL East.

The Yankees won't make a serious play for Mauer even if he's available
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/the-yankees-wont-make-a-serious-play-of-mauer-even-if-hes-available.html.php
Just like with Teixeira, right? It's going to be a non-issue, but still.

RhodyYanksFan
03-19-10, 09:34 AM
On one hand I'm pleased that the author recognizes our homegrown talent. But on the other, it's obnoxious that it will only ruin baseball if it's the Yankees, as opposed to that other big-spending team in the AL East.

Just like with Teixeira, right? It's going to be a non-issue, but still.

Of course it's only bad if the Yankees do it.

The Twins really better just man up and sign Mauer. Give him all the money they didn't spend on Hunter & Santana.

Eschie
03-19-10, 09:47 AM
So the consensus here is we should pass on Mauer? What if that means he ends up on the Sox?

kan_t
03-19-10, 09:50 AM
So the consensus here is we should pass on Mauer? What if that means he ends up on the Sox?
The Yankees should still be capable to win the WS.

President Kennedy
03-19-10, 10:08 AM
There are some good arguments against getting Mauer. It being bad for baseball isn't one of them. The Yankees are great for baseball. The Yankees winning more WS is even better.

Eschie
03-19-10, 10:14 AM
The Yankees should still be capable to win the WS.

I prefer a stranglehold to capable.

RhodyYanksFan
03-19-10, 10:16 AM

Then that means I'm no longer a Joe Mauer fan, and I'll get angry when the media says they made a great move but if the Yanks get him it'll be us buying more championships. So I really hope he stays on the Twins.

President Kennedy
03-19-10, 10:36 AM
Then that means I'm no longer a Joe Mauer fan, and I'll get angry when the media says they made a great move but if the Yanks get him it'll be us buying more championships. So I really hope he stays on the Twins.

If I had my way, the media would be accusing us of buying world championships deep into this decade.

Eschie
03-19-10, 10:38 AM

Holy smokes :( Why do you give a crap what the media thinks?

kan_t
03-19-10, 11:43 AM
Even though Mauer doesn't go to Sox, most of the other teams fans have already thought that Red Sox and Yankees are the same.

Axon
03-19-10, 12:16 PM
If he advises the Twins he won't sign, they'll make efforts to move him for as much value as possible, as any team in their position would. He's a hometown superstar and I doubt he'll refuse to sign a contract with the Twins.

I don't know why ESPN considers this newsworthy. Contracts are tricky things and there are times when both sides just stop worrying about it, but that does not mean talks have broken down.

The Red Sox do not have enough trade chips for Mauer and Cliff Lee, both of whom would command two top-flight prospects and a major league player. Settle down :D

knickfan23
03-19-10, 12:37 PM
Even though Mauer doesn't go to Sox, most of the other teams fans have already thought that Red Sox and Yankees are the same.

No they don't...

Put both teams on the field at the same time and the rooting interest will always be for the Red Sox in the "public eye" even if they fielded a 9 man All-Star team.

Put it this way, you will never hear the following phrase uttered:

"The Red Sox win too much."

NYYDragoon
03-19-10, 12:45 PM
I don't know why ESPN considers this newsworthy. Contracts are tricky things and there are times when both sides just stop worrying about it, but that does not mean talks have broken down. Because the regular season hasn't started yet and there haven't been any new PED outings.

DaBliz
03-19-10, 03:02 PM
If the Twins can't sign their homegrown superstar, I don't feel bad signing him. It's all fair game at a certain point and it's a no-brainer that he should be resigned for pretty much whatever he wants. If he stays there, I'm fine with that because I don't expect him to hit the open market anyway. If he does, though, we have to be on it like white on rice. I'd send Montero and Hughes for this guy. He's a top 5 player in the league and as much as I support bringing up prospects, you do not pass on Mauer. It's a business and that's the best move we could make.

Jeter-Mauer-Tex-ARod would be a filthy top of the order, could challenge for best of all time.

NYYDragoon
03-19-10, 03:19 PM
MLBTR:

Jon Heyman of SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/03/19/mauer.beckett/1.html) expects Joe Mauer (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mauerjo01.shtml) and Josh Beckett (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beckejo02.shtml) to re-sign with their current teams. Here are the details from his latest column:

Heyman hears that Joe Mauer (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mauerjo01.shtml) and the Twins are willing to work on an extension once the season begins. Apparently Mark Teixeira (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/teixema01.shtml)'s eight-year $180MM deal is a comparable for the Mauer talks.
The article is worth a read too:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/03/19/mauer.beckett/index.html

Blazer
03-19-10, 04:51 PM

That couldn't be further from the truth. As someone who's traveled all around this country I've seen first hand the seething hatred fans in other cities have for the Yanks. The Red Sox are somewhat innocuous to most fans in cities outside Boston and NY. The only thing those fans seem to dislike about them is the bandwagon Saux fans who came out of the woodwork after 2004 & 2007.

boog204
03-20-10, 10:15 AM
Yeah, but if he went to the Red Sox, that would be OK, right?

nope, it would be equally terrible. he belongs in minnesota and it would be just wrong if he's playing anywhere else next year for the highest bidder. this is not an ifa signing or a random draft pick. this is the hometown kid, taken with the #1 pick, who has been developed and has kept the twins afloat and given them legitimacy. i just think it would be bad for baseball if he's not a twin irregardless if he's a yank, sawk, dodger, or whatever... as a yankee fan it would just be weird if he's on our team and i think a lot of other fans of different teams would feel the same way.

Miss Yvonne
03-21-10, 05:53 PM
Mauer stays. Seen on Twitter, one of multiple messages...

ed_price
#Twins sign Joe Mauer to 8-year, $184 million contract extension, covering the 2011-2018 seasons. The deal includes a full no-trade clause

YanksFan1992
03-21-10, 06:02 PM

Great news.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-10, 06:04 PM
Just heard the news on an MLB Network update. Fantastic news for MLB and the Twins fanbase. Oh...Mauer too. $184 million. Holler. AJ is going to a strip club right now to celebrate.

YankeePride1967
03-21-10, 06:05 PM
Excellent news.

President Kennedy
03-21-10, 06:09 PM
Baseball is saved!

Eschie
03-21-10, 06:09 PM
Why is it fantastic news for MLB?

philleotardo
03-21-10, 06:17 PM
Well done, Twins

yankeebot
03-21-10, 06:19 PM
The Twins are good for baseball!

Miss Yvonne
03-21-10, 06:23 PM
Why is it fantastic news for MLB?
Because he can't go to the Yankees now!!!1111

swityak11
03-21-10, 06:23 PM
Why is it fantastic news for MLB?Because fans of small-mid market teams need to feel like they can keep their homegrown talent. If you begin the season with no hope of competing, why bother?

57djk
03-21-10, 06:24 PM
Here's the SI link on Joe Mauer's contract extension:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/wires/03/21/2010.ap.bba.twins.mauer.extension.0191/index.html?eref=sihp

Eschie
03-21-10, 06:29 PM
Because fans of small-mid market teams need to feel like they can keep their homegrown talent. If you begin the season with no hope of competing, why bother?

Yet baseball continues to break revenue records and small-mid market teams have won their share of world series.

nnysiny
03-21-10, 06:31 PM
great news

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-10, 06:44 PM
Because he can't go to the Yankees now!!!1111
You beat me to the snarky comment. At least those who are begging for a Montero and/or Romine sighting won't bumrush the Minors thread, which may happen if we roll the Brinks trucks to Mauer's place.

NYYDragoon
03-21-10, 06:44 PM
I guess this is cool.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-10, 06:45 PM
Yet baseball continues to break revenue records and small-mid market teams have won their share of world series.

Don't tell fans of small-mid market teams that. It'll lead to multiple, pointless, annoying, pages-long threads.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-10, 06:46 PM
I guess this is cool.

As you dab a Tide To-Go pen on the front of your pants.

ThePinStripes
03-21-10, 07:05 PM
8/184 for Mauer?
Wow, what a steal. That A-rod signing just looks dumber and dumber every day.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-10, 07:09 PM
8/184 for Mauer?
Wow, what a steal. That A-rod signing just looks dumber and dumber every day.

Yeah. I'd agree with you if we hadn't won it all last season. The bling is blinding my sense of logic. Overpaid....oh yeah, but like I said..I'm glad we won.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-21-10, 07:12 PM
CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I was so looking forward to maybe seeing Mauer in pinstripes. But, I guess this is a good thing since the Red Sox can't get him.

Eschie
03-21-10, 07:18 PM
CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I was so looking forward to maybe seeing Mauer in pinstripes. But, I guess this is a good thing since the Red Sox can't get him.

How dare you.

DontHateOnNumber2
03-21-10, 07:19 PM

We'd better sign Pedro before they get him too.

Yankeesfan21
03-21-10, 07:48 PM
Makes the A-Rod signing look dumber and dumber? I thought it was pretty clear that a catcher is not going to get as much as a positional player because they wear down much quicker. Everybody knows they had to overpay for A-Rod, but it was worth it because they don't win a WS without him and have a huge hole at the #4 spot in the lineup.

BronxYanks45
03-21-10, 07:48 PM
good for the Twins, they get there hometown kid locked for a while.

well I guess we wont see him in pinstripes so we should focus our attention on Crawford

Eschie
03-21-10, 07:49 PM
Or Lee.

kan_t
03-21-10, 07:50 PM
Great news. Good for baseball and good for the Twins fans.

Eschie
03-21-10, 07:52 PM
They should make a movie out of this story.

fredgmuggs
03-21-10, 07:53 PM
I suspect the Yankees will manage to muddle through this somehow.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-21-10, 07:56 PM
good for the Twins, they get there hometown kid locked for a while.

well I guess we wont see him in pinstripes so we should focus our attention on Crawford

I'd see how good Gardner is in Left Field before we give Crawford a big contract. But, Lee most definately and then we can focus on Jeter and Mariano.

BronxYanks45
03-21-10, 08:11 PM
I'd see how good Gardner is in Left Field before we give Crawford a big contract. But, Lee most definately and then we can focus on Jeter and Mariano.

agreed, only mentioned Crawford cause it was fresh in my mind. But LF and a SP will be key in winter of 2010 in addition to Jeter, Mo, Girardi, Vasquez etc..

cyhughes22
03-21-10, 08:41 PM
I'd rather have Ryan Braun for left. I don't care that he's a bit of a butcher out there. That kid can hit. And I know he's not a free agent, but they won't be able to afford him.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
03-21-10, 08:47 PM
Great news. Good for baseball and good for the Twins fans.

As much as I would have loved Mauer with us if it came down to it, I agree with you.

He should go down as the greatest Twin ever, if all pans out.

ThePinStripes
03-21-10, 08:48 PM
Makes the A-Rod signing look dumber and dumber? I thought it was pretty clear that a catcher is not going to get as much as a positional player because they wear down much quicker. Everybody knows they had to overpay for A-Rod, but it was worth it because they don't win a WS without him and have a huge hole at the #4 spot in the lineup.

We had to overpay him?

Philip Hughes Fan
03-21-10, 09:09 PM
I'd rather have Ryan Braun for left. I don't care that he's a bit of a butcher out there. That kid can hit. And I know he's not a free agent, but they won't be able to afford him.

Except that they've already signed him through 2015.

Meecham4ever
03-21-10, 09:54 PM

Twins manning up, stepping up,showing up, ante up, well shut me up.
:clap:

cyhughes22
03-21-10, 11:39 PM
Except that they've already signed him through 2015.

And they're going to have to pay and Fielder too. I think he could be had for some young talent when that time comes.

cyhughes22
03-21-10, 11:40 PM
I got off topic, but I think this is good for baseball. As much as I'd have loved to have him in pinstripes that city respects the game and they deserve to keep their hometown kid. I'm glad he didn't hold them to ransom either. It might seem odd to say that someone is classy for taking "only" 184 million dollars but I think it applies in this case.

kan_t
03-22-10, 01:02 AM
Do you really mean that they won't be able to pay him $1M in 2010, $4M in 2011, $6M in 2012, $8.5M in 2013, $10M in 2014 and $12M in 2015?

Really?

JohnnyDamonfan
03-22-10, 06:12 AM

Unfortunately neither will the Yankees probably. And by that I mean player/talent wise.

ieddyi
03-22-10, 07:12 AM
Signed for 8/184

A good result for the team and Joe and I think MLB

knickfan23
03-22-10, 09:40 AM
When is Greinke a FA?

Hello....Hello?

ThePinStripes
03-22-10, 09:47 AM
When is Greinke a FA?

Hello....Hello?

I don't know, but he's not for the Yankees. He has social anxiety disorder or something like that.

GordonGecko
03-22-10, 10:37 AM
Zack Greinke 4 years/$38M (2009-12)

09:$3.75M, 10:$7.25M, 11:$13.5M, 12:$13.5M

limited no-trade protection in 2009, 2010

slickknick
03-22-10, 11:26 AM
refreshing that Mauer and his agent did not hold the Twins hostage and try to push the negotiations to the fall to drive up the $$$. Mauer, his agent, and the twins knew that the Red Sox, Yanks, etc would come high and strong for him. However, he wants to win like every other player. If the twins don't go far and at least challenge for a championship as Mauer approaches age 29/30 he WILL want out. First, they want to get paid(Arod)....then they want to win a world series(Boggs)...then they want to get paid again (Damon).

Was Chuck Knoblauch once the face of the twins?

Yankees13
03-22-10, 11:32 AM
I'm glad he re-signed for the Twins because he was always more likely to sign for Boston than for us. However, I don't understand all the self-loathing Yankee fans cheering the fact that he can't sign for us. We can't sign one of the best players in baseball. YAYYYYYY!

Eschie
03-22-10, 11:40 AM
I'd like to have seen what kind of numbers he'd put up in Fenway... in an alternate universe in which I don't wish misery on all Sox fans.

GordonGecko
03-22-10, 12:32 PM
yeah he was Fenway bound for sure if the Twins didn't lock him up

jeterdaman
03-22-10, 12:48 PM
We had to overpay him?

Yes we did. We are ruthless tough negoiators and when we are negotiating against ourselves we need to blow ourselves out of the water with a monster contract. We did that with Alex. We won, don't you see that?

GordonGecko
03-22-10, 01:11 PM
Yankees wouldn't have had the budget to outbid Boston for Mauer. Rivera & Jeter's contract expires after this year and Jeter is signing again for sure, Mariano probably too. Yankees would have had to cut Jeter to be able to sign Mauer

THEBOSS84
03-22-10, 01:18 PM
It's because of the Yankees that the Twins had to pay Mauer this kind of money, in case anyone was wondering (not sarcasm).

Eschie
03-22-10, 01:32 PM
It's because of the Yankees that the Twins had to pay Mauer this kind of money, in case anyone was wondering (not sarcasm).

What are you talking about?

THEBOSS84
03-22-10, 01:34 PM
What are you talking about?

A combo of things. If Tex didn't get the contract he got, this deal wouldn't be even close to what it is. I say that with confidence.

Eschie
03-22-10, 01:35 PM
A combo of things. If Tex didn't get the contract he got, this deal wouldn't be even close to what it is. I say that with confidence.

I happen to think the Twins got a bargain. I say that with confidence.

effdamets
03-22-10, 01:40 PM
I happen to think the Twins got a bargain. I say that with confidence.23 million a year for 8 years... for a catcher.... I'd hardly consider that a bargain.

GordonGecko
03-22-10, 01:51 PM
I don't agree with this. There's no financially dominant team in the NBA and yet they have even more ridiculous contracts. Teams will pay what their revenues can justify

THEBOSS84
03-22-10, 01:54 PM
I don't agree with this. There's no financially dominant team in the NBA and yet they have even more ridiculous contracts. Teams will pay what their revenues can justify

Right, so the standard for Mauer's contract was set by the Twins?

GordonGecko
03-22-10, 01:57 PM
Right, so the standard for Mauer's contract was set by the Twins?
The standard was set by years of MLB's growing popularity, diversity of revenue streams, and competition among teams like the Yankees (but not exclusively), Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, Texas Rangers, etc...

Mauer's contract itself was set by the Twins' projected revenues and importance to the franchise. Quite frankly, I don't think the Yankees had much to with the number at all in the grand scheme of things

President Kennedy
03-22-10, 02:00 PM
The standard was set by years of MLB's growing popularity, diversity of revenue streams, and competition among teams like the Yankees (but not exclusively), Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, Texas Rangers, etc...

Mauer's contract itself was set by the Twins' projected revenues and importance to the franchise. Quite frankly, I don't think the Yankees had much to with the number at all in the grand scheme of things

If your estimation of how these contracts come about was even remotely accurate, why do small market teams wind up looking to unload huge contracts?

Blazer
03-22-10, 02:06 PM

IIRC the Kevin Brown/Dodgers and ARod/Rangers deals were the first mega-contracts and preceded the Yankees escalated spending.

R.V.47
03-22-10, 02:09 PM
Bottom line is if Mauer got to free agency there would be an insane bidding war that wouldve probably resulted in a contract bigger than what he got. So the big market teams did push the Twins to do this but the Twins should consider themselves lucky because thats a bargain compared to what he couldve gotten on the open market.

GordonGecko
03-22-10, 02:12 PM
If your estimation of how these contracts come about was even remotely accurate, why do small market teams wind up looking to unload huge contracts?
Remotely? My estimation is perfectly accurate. Don't kid yourself that it's only the small market teams that unload, there are plenty of large market teams who overpaid for misjudged talent or injury prone deadbeats and then have to shop them to make room for players that will actually help them win (Carl Pavano? Luis Castillo? Vernon Wells?). With or without the Yankees teams would have to compete with one another and there's clearly enough money to support 20M/yr contracts or there wouldn't be those kind of signings. It's not like the Yankees magically make other teams print money they don't have.

Tribefan
03-22-10, 03:28 PM
I'm just glad a small market team was able to hang on to its superstar, face of their franchise...gives hope to the rest of us small market teams...oh, wait I'm a Cleveland Indians' fan, there's no hope that the Indians would ever do this when we can trade them for prospects! :D

kongull
03-22-10, 03:37 PM
23 million a year for 8 years... for a catcher.... I'd hardly consider that a bargain.

You make it sound like that goes against him and not for him.

effdamets
03-22-10, 03:50 PM
23 million for a 34 year old catcher will be pretty risky....
It's not a bargain for the Twins at all...

teknetic
03-22-10, 04:00 PM

He was probably implying that the risk of giving that much to a catcher was greater than any other offensive position.

Yankee Fan in Boston
03-22-10, 04:44 PM

It does over the course of an 8 year contract -- not exactly the place he's most likely to stay healthy

Yankee Fan in Boston
03-22-10, 04:44 PM

Competely agree. This is why Marvin Miller was a genius

cyhughes22
03-22-10, 04:46 PM
Do you really mean that they won't be able to pay him $1M in 2010, $4M in 2011, $6M in 2012, $8.5M in 2013, $10M in 2014 and $12M in 2015?

Really?

Try factoring in the other guys the have to pay (Fielder, Gallardo) before dismissing it.

cyhughes22
03-22-10, 04:50 PM
Yankees wouldn't have had the budget to outbid Boston for Mauer. Rivera & Jeter's contract expires after this year and Jeter is signing again for sure, Mariano probably too. Yankees would have had to cut Jeter to be able to sign Mauer

There's a difference between penny pinching for guys like Johnny Damon and opening up you wallet for Joe Mauer. If you don't think they would've found the money to make him the highest offer had he hit free agency you must've been watching a different organization the last decade or so. They undoubtedly would've offered him the most money. It might not have gotten him to sign here but they'd have done everything in their power to get him.

Yankee Fan in Boston
03-22-10, 04:54 PM
There's a difference between penny pinching for guys like Johnny Damon and opening up you wallet for Joe Mauer. If you don't think they would've found the money to make him the highest offer had he hit free agency you must've been watching a different organization the last decade or so. They undoubtedly would've offered him the most money. It might not have gotten him to sign here but they'd have done everything in their power to get him.

I agree with you regarding a budget, but I do think if they were really convinced after this year that Montero can catch (which I don't think they are now) and if Romine tore up AA, they might decide to put the resources somewhere else

cyhughes22
03-22-10, 05:30 PM
I agree with you regarding a budget, but I do think if they were really convinced after this year that Montero can catch (which I don't think they are now) and if Romine tore up AA, they might decide to put the resources somewhere else

True. I think it's because they're not fully convinced now that this year's budget was even in place. They're were looking at Mauer and possibly Cliff Lee for next year and they didn't want to waste the money on second tier talent this year. The Mauer signing to me indicates that Cliff Lee is as good as a Yankee after this season but we'll see.

Hellsing
03-22-10, 05:31 PM
Here's hoping to a massive decline in performance!

ArodEra
03-22-10, 05:51 PM

I tend to agree for the reasons you stated. If not the Twins, the Sox.

TommyK8
03-22-10, 06:23 PM
I tend to agree for the reasons you stated. If not the Twins, the Sox.I'll be happy to just call it even and say I'm happy the Twins got him. The Red Sox have never outbid the Yankees for a player both teams wanted, and I see no reason that streak would end. Mauer would have been unbelievably good with that short porch in right. I will say I am ecstatic he is going to be in MN the next 8 years.

YankeePride1967
03-22-10, 06:31 PM
I'll be happy to just call it even and say I'm happy the Twins got him. The Red Sox have never outbid the Yankees for a player both teams wanted, and I see no reason that streak would end. Mauer would have been unbelievably good with that short porch in right. I will say I am ecstatic he is going to be in MN the next 8 years.

Considering Fenway was more of a hitter's park in 2009 than Yankee Stadium, I think he would have done incredible damage there, but as Arodera said I don't think the Yankees will have the budget for him anyway.

NYYDragoon
03-22-10, 06:39 PM
Although Mauer needed to stay put, I would be curious to have a look into the alternate reality in which he opted to try free agency. The bidding war between the Yanks and Sox would be a bidding war to end them all.

BTW, press conference streaming on MLB.com at 7pm for those interested.

flymick24
03-22-10, 06:39 PM
so does this mean he can't be a yankee?

JohnnyDamonfan
03-22-10, 06:49 PM
so does this mean he can't be a yankee?

It means he can be a Yankee when he's 34 and a 1/2 years old.:P

NYYDragoon
03-22-10, 07:08 PM
Contract officially signed.

NYYDragoon
03-22-10, 07:17 PM
Haha, Morneau just asked during the presser "Does this mean you'll buy us dinner?" Mauer laughed it off with an immediate "no comment".

kongull
03-22-10, 07:24 PM
23 million for a 34 year old catcher will be pretty risky....
It's not a bargain for the Twins at all...

according to fan graphs he was worth 36.6 million last year. Assuming a 15-20% reduction in production (which is conservative), he'll have generated 180million in worth at the end of his 6th season (age 32 only). His last two years will theoritically be free.

It's incredibly inappropriate to judge a players worth by looking at his last year only and making a determination.

This was a gigantic bargain for the twins.

Blazer
03-22-10, 07:35 PM
according to fan graphs he was worth 36.6 million last year. Assuming a 15-20% reduction in production (which is conservative), he'll have generated 180million in worth at the end of his 6th season (age 32 only). His last two years will theoritically be free.

It's incredibly inappropriate to judge a players worth by looking at his last year only and making a determination.

This was a gigantic bargain for the twins.

IMO Fangraphs $ value for players has little or no basis in reality.

NYYDragoon
03-22-10, 08:33 PM
Interesting notes:

Indications are that Mauer and Shapiro got together over the last couple of days and realized that the Twins weren't going to improve on their offer and took it.

Indications are that Mauer was looking for something in $25 million range, perhaps higher.

That's a lot of dough. $23M is lot for for the Twins. Say their payroll is around $100M next season. That's $77 million for the rest of the roster - with Justin Morneau ($14M) and Joe Nathan ($11.25M) getting a third of that. Keep that in mind.

[...]

If you read between the lines of Jim Souhan's column last week on the negotiations, the Twins were NOT afraid to trade Mauer if he had continued to reject their offers. I'm curious to know at what point would Mauer had become the villian in all of this? Would it had been the Twins' fault if $24-25 million wouldn't have been enough?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/88779472.html?elr=KArksUUUqCP:i_yD3D:a_47cQi_ycaEacyU

Philip Hughes Fan
03-22-10, 08:41 PM
Try factoring in the other guys the have to pay (Fielder, Gallardo) before dismissing it.

So they're going to trade their (likely) best player that's signed to a below-market deal?

kan_t
03-22-10, 09:08 PM
So you think he is a can't miss and they want to trade him in order to pay someone who is not as good?

cyhughes22
03-23-10, 12:35 AM
So you think he is a can't miss and they want to trade him in order to pay someone who is not as good?

I think there's a real sense among the fan base from what I've seen that they want to have Prince Fielder there and the Brewers would like to keep him. He won't be cheap. They also cannot afford to lose Gallardo if the ever want to go anywhere. He won't be cheap. If they keep Fielder then they're going to have to lose Braun IMO. I could be wrong but I can see a scenario where he's moved for cost controlled talent. If I'm a smaller market team I have to think in terms of windows where I can keep my good cheap young guys together for a few years and go for it. Maybe you trade lower level guys to acquire a veteran an take a shot at it but you can't afford to keep those big money guys forever. In fact I can see a scenario rather where if Jesus proves he can catch Romine becomes expendable and is traded with some other good young talent for Braun. It's possible.

JohnnyDamonfan
03-23-10, 02:48 AM
I think there's a real sense among the fan base from what I've seen that they want to have Prince Fielder there and the Brewers would like to keep him. He won't be cheap. They also cannot afford to lose Gallardo if the ever want to go anywhere. He won't be cheap. If they keep Fielder then they're going to have to lose Braun IMO. I could be wrong but I can see a scenario where he's moved for cost controlled talent. If I'm a smaller market team I have to think in terms of windows where I can keep my good cheap young guys together for a few years and go for it. Maybe you trade lower level guys to acquire a veteran an take a shot at it but you can't afford to keep those big money guys forever. In fact I can see a scenario rather where if Jesus proves he can catch Romine becomes expendable and is traded with some other good young talent for Braun. It's possible.

Well let's see where Gardner is at before getting a Left Fielder even if it is a good left fielder like Braun. I would rather see how Gardner can do in Left before picking up another Left Fielder.

NewEraYanks2527
03-23-10, 11:07 AM
Good, glad to see the Twins inking up their hometown boy. It's good for baseball and I love the quote I read that says "No longer can the Twins cry small market team".

Eschie
03-23-10, 11:16 AM
Thank god he signed, baseball was this close to over.

delv
03-23-10, 11:21 AM
Although Mauer needed to stay put, I would be curious to have a look into the alternate reality in which he opted to try free agency.

Thanks, but no thanks, Kripke.

bigjf
03-23-10, 11:37 AM
Twins are ruining baseball with their reckless spending...