JDPNYY
02-20-10, 05:56 PM
He's quite the savvy outfielder.

JohnnyEllis
02-20-10, 05:58 PM
It's never over.

snarkerella
02-20-10, 06:00 PM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

(how long until the TRADE GRANDERSON FOR DAMON articles???)

I'm A Wenner!
02-20-10, 06:03 PM
This needed a new thread... in Inside the Lines.

Principessa21
02-20-10, 06:20 PM
A no-trade clause for this guy? Unreal.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/statuses/9404160235

Blazer
02-20-10, 06:32 PM
A no-trade clause for this guy? Unreal.

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/statuses/9404160235

IMO the no trade clause is to prevent the Tigs, one of the Yanks favorite trading partners, from shipping him to the Yanks should something happen to NJ.

nnysiny
02-20-10, 06:35 PM
IMO the no trade clause is to prevent the Tigs, one of the Yanks favorite trading partners, from shipping him to the Yanks should something happen to NJ.
why would Damon veto that trade anyway?

Ram Man
02-20-10, 06:39 PM
The no trade clause is in there simply to extract some $$$ from the desperate Yankees when July rolls around and they finally come to their senses and decide the Johnny Damon is the one and only player that can assure a second consecutive World Series championship.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
02-20-10, 06:42 PM
If he develops arm strength with the Tigers, I swear....:o

Blazer
02-20-10, 06:46 PM
why would Damon veto that trade anyway?

Ram Man has the answer. A NT clause means he'll insist on an option or extension to approve a trade. Very clever move by Boras.

MooseDaGun
02-20-10, 06:52 PM
Should be fun watching Damon's relay throws from the outfield wall in Comerica. Someone might have to run out to the outfield to retrieve it after it comes to a rest in the OF grass.

nnysiny
02-20-10, 06:55 PM
Ram Man has the answer. A NT clause means he'll get insist on an option or extension to approve a trade. Very clever move by Boras.
im pretty sure you cant add an option to an existing contract, and i dont know why a team would trade for him and then sign him to an extension. the Tigers cant give him an extension and trade him to boot. a NTC on a one-year deal is not a big thing

Blazer
02-20-10, 06:55 PM
Should be fun watching Damon's relay throws from the outfield wall in Comerica. Someone might have to run out to the outfield to retrieve it after it comes to a rest in the OF grass.

Was it also funny watching him throw as a Yankee?

MooseDaGun
02-20-10, 07:10 PM
Was it also funny watching him throw as a Yankee?
Umm, is this a trick question?

TommyK8
02-20-10, 07:15 PM
I believe under baseball rules that the Tigers couldn't have traded Damon before June 15 even without a NTC. It appears that Boras wisely inserted this in the contract to get extra dollars should the Tigers move him at the trading deadline.

Boras really has the Tigers' number. I didn't think Damon would do this well this late in the free agent game, and I'm not sure the Tigers didn't outbid the next highest suitor by at least $3 million.

groovitude
02-20-10, 07:18 PM
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs51/150/i/2009/324/3/2/Facepalm_Tiger_by_infernal_raynata.jpg

WashingtonYankee
02-20-10, 07:20 PM
Wow. Best of luck to him! :)

-tz
02-20-10, 07:34 PM
Good luck, Johnny!

http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/102509Damon2RBISingle1.jpg http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/102509Damon2RBISingle2.jpg

http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/110109DamonSteals2nd1.jpg http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/110109DamonSteals3rd1.jpg

brosiusbuddy
02-20-10, 07:37 PM
Is 1 year, 8 million really better than the 2 years, 14 Cashman offered?

nhyankeefan
02-20-10, 07:40 PM
Good luck Johnny, I did enjoy his time with the Yanks. I also can't believe how much the Tigers are paying him.

-tz
02-20-10, 07:45 PM
Is 1 year, 8 million really better than the 2 years, 14 Cashman offered?Better than he had a right to expect at this point. At least he's not taking a pay cut from his own team.

I hope he has a great year (except when the Yankees play the Tigers). He and Matsui had a huge share in the WS win ... now they're both gone.

TheBamTino24
02-20-10, 07:52 PM

Comical. Boras' bluff was called. I'll never understand this type of haggling. Damon - who has made how much money in his career? - could have stayed in the place he wanted and still added another $14M to his pockets over the next 2 seasons.

At what point in time does this kind of stuff just become unreasonable?

I'm A Wenner!
02-20-10, 08:25 PM
I don't believe that none of that is deferred.

NYYDragoon
02-20-10, 09:24 PM
At what point in time does this kind of stuff just become unreasonable?It's his pocket and his career, so never. We've always known Damon was a mercenary.

TommyK8
02-20-10, 09:33 PM
Comical. Boras' bluff was called. I'll never understand this type of haggling. Damon - who has made how much money in his career? - could have stayed in the place he wanted and still added another $14M to his pockets over the next 2 seasons.

At what point in time does this kind of stuff just become unreasonable?It's a mixed bag...Damon made $13 million last year and had a very good season and an excellent post season. He didn't want to take a $6 million salary cut, and who can blame him? However, Damon also sold himself to the highest bidder on two previous occasions and tried to get the last dime each time. When you live by the sword, sometimes you die by the sword.

All that said, I think the Yankees are going to really miss Johnny Damon. I would love to tell you the Red Sox didn't miss him, but I think they did. I know what the stats guys say, but I think the Yanks are going to regret letting Johnny go. We'll see.

Yankees1962
02-20-10, 09:38 PM
All that said, I think the Yankees are going to really miss Johnny Damon. I would love to tell you the Red Sox didn't miss him, but I think they did. I know what the stats guys say, but I think the Yanks are going to regret letting Johnny go. We'll see.
At least, that's what you hope.

Hooligan Tavarez
02-20-10, 09:39 PM
Should be fun watching Damon's relay throws from the outfield wall in Comerica. Someone might have to run out to the outfield to retrieve it after it comes to a rest in the OF grass.Maybe Manny is on the block.

I'm A Wenner!
02-20-10, 10:32 PM
It's a mixed bag...Damon made $13 million last year and had a very good season and an excellent post season. He didn't want to take a $6 million salary cut, and who can blame him? However, Damon also sold himself to the highest bidder on two previous occasions and tried to get the last dime each time. When you live by the sword, sometimes you die by the sword.

This is a ridiculous post. Damon's value was dramatically lower this offseason than it was four years ago. He doesn't get to just decide how much money he gets to make.

He's a good player, but he's overrated, and the Yankees replaced him with a superior hitter. I'm looking forward to Johnson outproducing Damon by several magnitudes this season, and then you pitying the Yankees when they let Johnson walk.

wileedog
02-20-10, 10:49 PM
I don't believe that none of that is deferred.

It must be nice for Boras to always have an emergency plan - "In case of total lack of FA interest break glass and call the Tigers."

Hobbes40
02-20-10, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the memories Johnny - definitely appreciated your time in pinstripes.

On another note, how pissed must Tigers' fans be now? They traded fan favorite Granderson in an attempt to dump salary (admittedly, they did get Austin Jackson back), and then ended up signing Damon for not that much less (granted, for one year).

DontHateOnNumber2
02-20-10, 11:18 PM
So his career isn't over then. I'll always appreciate what he did for us, especially in helping us to win #27. I'll still root for him, and cheer his first at-bat against us, but otherwise I hope he does horrendous against us.

Blazer
02-20-10, 11:39 PM
So his career isn't over then. I'll always appreciate what he did for us, especially in helping us to win #27. I'll still root for him, and cheer his first at-bat against us, but otherwise I hope he does horrendous against us.

Plus one.

speedyg
02-20-10, 11:55 PM
Boras is probably kicking in 4M to save face.
He still didn't get B. Abreu's contract.

DiMaggio5CF
02-21-10, 12:02 AM
1 year, $8 million? None of it deferred? They overpaid.

And if Damon thinks the no-trade clause is going to get him more money and an extra season in Pinstripes, he's delusional. One of the main reasons the Yankees would be interested in bringing him back is because of the expiring contract.

If Cashman wouldn't pony up a little extra cash to bring him back now, he's going to have to be very desperate at some point to give him an extension to bring him back in-season. And while I'm sure Cashman will make a move to fill a need, I think he's been stubborn enough on financial issues to lead us to believe that he'd get a lesser player at the right price than overspend on a guy like Damon.

Damon may think the no-trade clause will guarantee him extra cash if he comes back to the Yankees, but all it really guaranteed was that he won't make a return to the Yankees. Of course, he could always waive the no-trade clause for free to come back to the Yanks, but to do that, he'd have to slide out from underneath Boras' thumb, and he clearly hasn't shown the ability to do that.

I really believed Damon when he said he wanted to come back. But actions speak louder than words.

Peanut
02-21-10, 12:26 AM
Good for him. Thats more than I expected he'd get at this point.

TommyK8
02-21-10, 02:52 AM
This is a ridiculous post. Damon's value was dramatically lower this offseason than it was four years ago. He doesn't get to just decide how much money he gets to make.

He's a good player, but he's overrated, and the Yankees replaced him with a superior hitter. I'm looking forward to Johnson outproducing Damon by several magnitudes this season, and then you pitying the Yankees when they let Johnson walk.We'll see. That's what baseball is all about. You can call my post ridiculous and say that NJ will outperform him. Maybe you will be right. But I don't think it's a given. Time will tell.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-21-10, 04:50 AM

And that's why the Tigers probably got him as a DH not a Left Fielder. I think their Outfield is all set. They just needed a DH. Damon will be a great DH for them.

With Guillen in Left, A-Jax in center, and Ordonez in right I don't think the Tigers have to worry about Damon's poor fielding skills.

bucky
02-21-10, 06:46 AM

That was a big mistake by $cott and Johnny. 8M is better than I thought (5-6M). Maybe he will prove his worth and may get his 2 year contract like Bobby (2/18M with option).

We could not have won the WS without Johnny and especially Matsui. I wish them the Best. We will see. I am going to follow Matsui more this year as DH.

Finally Over (for 1 year anyway).

yanksphan
02-21-10, 06:49 AM
Damon: "I'm happy. Everything went smooth. We had options but Detroit was my 1st for some time."

ajra21
02-21-10, 07:37 AM
The no trade clause is in there simply to extract some $$$ from the desperate Yankees when July rolls around and they finally come to their senses and decide the Johnny Damon is the one and only player that can assure a second consecutive World Series championship.

:lol:

amartella
02-21-10, 09:25 AM
Botched negotiation on both sides. Yankees will be in the market for another hitter come all-star break. Should have signed Nady to complement Gardner.

Retire21
02-21-10, 10:05 AM
One of two things will happen for Damon this year:

1. DL for prolonged period

2. plays out the season with ridiculously reduced SLG%. Because his defense is so poor, his sole value will be getting on base, something he will not do on par with his career average in 2010.

DaSh 1s
02-21-10, 10:23 AM
And that's why the Tigers probably got him as a DH not a Left Fielder. I think their Outfield is all set. They just needed a DH. Damon will be a great DH for them.

With Guillen in Left, A-Jax in center, and Ordonez in right I don't think the Tigers have to worry about Damon's poor fielding skills.

Guillen will DH

DaSh 1s
02-21-10, 10:23 AM

2. plays out the season with ridiculously reduced SLG%. Because his defense is so poor, his sole value will be getting on base, something he will not do on par with his career average in 2010.

Where is the DL prediction coming from?

Yankees1962
02-21-10, 11:39 AM
Just a guess on my part, but everytime I read about Damon this offseason, he was either on vacation or doing something else that had little to do with keeping in shape for baseball. I hope his calfs hold up this season.

JohnnyDamonfan
02-21-10, 12:51 PM
Guillen will DH

Really? And I've got a question is that guy in your avatar the old man who kicked that young black guy's ass on a AC Transit bus? I have seen Youtube videos of that and he looks a lot like that guy.

DaSh 1s
02-21-10, 12:56 PM
Yea, its epic beard man...

Retire21
02-21-10, 01:21 PM

Johnny gets credit for playing in 140+ games whatever for the past few seasons, but how many times did he take himself out of the lineup citing "cramps, bad back, etc?"

He took himself out of the clincher against PHI in G6 for the same reason.

He also contemplated quitting in 2007.

All of this took place in the pressure-cooker of NY- and he seemed to love playing for the Yankees.

How excited do you think he is going to be to play in DET? How likely will he be able to suck it up and play in Aug. when the media spotlight isn't on him?

I just think at his age, with no attachment to DET whatsoever aside from their paying the most, I don't see him being very enthusiastic or dedicated. All of this seems like a DL trip to me.

Whether this was just negotiating posturing or not, remember the Yanks front office cited a concern that any paycut from them would result in Damon sulking or not committing himself for the 2010 season. Why do you think that was floating out there in the first place? Have we ever heard that for other FAs we re-signed? Andy?

TommyK8
02-21-10, 01:26 PM

2. plays out the season with ridiculously reduced SLG%. Because his defense is so poor, his sole value will be getting on base, something he will not do on par with his career average in 2010.Whenever I watched Damon, whether with the Red Sox or the Yankees, he didn't always look great, especially his throwing arm. But the guy was often in the midst of making something good happen. Stuff that can't always be reduced to stats, like the two stolen bases on one play in the World Series. Many times with the Red Sox, Damon would ground out to second, but not until he saw 10 pitches at the plate and fouled off 5 of them. I know there are those who don't believe anything that's not contained in OPS or some other metric, but I know this guy was a gamer and he left it all on the field. I would have been thrilled if the Red Sox had signed him instead of Cameron, although even in left he would not have fit into their new defensive mantra.

I keep reading that Damon will be replaced by NJ, and I know that Johnson is taking his spot in the order but I think NJ is really replacing Matsui as DH. I think that Damon has been replaced by Randy Winn and Brett Gardner.

snarkerella
02-21-10, 01:40 PM
I think that Damon has been replaced by Randy Winn and Brett Gardner.

Or, you know, Curtis Granderson.

I really liked Johnny Damon. I wish him well (though I hope he sucks whenever the Yankees play the Tigers) and I am very glad this saga is over.

DaSh 1s
02-21-10, 02:21 PM
I keep reading that Damon will be replaced by NJ, and I know that Johnson is taking his spot in the order but I think NJ is really replacing Matsui as DH. I think that Damon has been replaced by Randy Winn and Brett Gardner.

Offensively Johnson has replaced Damon, and Granderson has replaced Matsui

Defensively Johson has replaced Matsui, and Gardner/Winn has replaced Damon

I know, its confusing...

ArodEra
02-21-10, 02:39 PM
I believe Granderson will be in LF, so huge upgrade in defense, both LF and CF (Gardner).

Offensively, NJ replaces Damon. OBP machine, with a history of going down during the season vs. an aging player whose production was certainly helped by the new stadium but father time is not on his side. Both players are great at working the count.

Advantage 2010 Yankees, at least on paper.

But, I won't be like some here and bash Damon - something we always accuse Sox fans of doing when their players split. Hypocritical much? I'm grateful for what he's done in pinstripes, for his role in getting #27 and for being one of the nicer, more genuine guys on the club. Not a pretentious bone in his body and I'll miss him and wish him well.

ArodEra
02-21-10, 02:58 PM
Better than he had a right to expect at this point. At least he's not taking a pay cut from his own team.

I hope he has a great year (except when the Yankees play the Tigers). He and Matsui had a huge share in the WS win ... now they're both gone.

You hit the nail on the head. It's easy for fans to sit back and talk about how greedy he was without being in his shoes. Yes, he's older, but offensively he had a tremendous year, the highest OPS+ of his career. Offensively, he was suited for the new stadium and there is no indication of his slowing down at the plate in 2010; his offensive stats have remained consistent throughout his career and his production in 2009 went above and beyond in many cases. He was also an integral part in the Yanks winning #27, in the regular and post season, practically winning a WS game on his own.

After a year like that, in his mind it was an insult to have his salary halved, regardless of his actual worth on the market. I'm sure he understands it's a business, but a part of him must have felt betrayed, as if, "This is my reward?"

If any one of us excelled at our jobs and were instrumental in our company making a healthy profit and/or adding to that company's glory, we too wouldn't be thrilled with such a reduction in pay, regardless of our age or salary. I understand the Yankee's reasoning, but I also understand Damon's sentiments.

HelloNewman
02-21-10, 03:57 PM
Boras' performance in the Damon negotiations kind of reminds me of Robert E. Lee at Antietam. Blundered, got in a manure pile of trouble, but got out of it better off than he should have.

I guess Mike Ilitch would be the General A.P. Hill of this little drama.

nyybronxbomber73
02-21-10, 04:24 PM
lol no scouting report required for the yankees just 5 years of experience;)

I'm A Wenner!
02-21-10, 04:45 PM
I hope Damon has an awful year, so we don't have to hear about him anymore.

TheoShmeo
02-21-10, 05:01 PM
I think the Yankees will miss Damon and am glad he didn't sign back with them in the end (not that I expected that at this point).

I thought he was slowing down heading into last season, but he bounced back well and was really suited to Yankee Stadium's short porch in right. Good luck with Comerica, Johnny.

A good argument can be made that the Yankees upgraded with Granderson and Johnson, but Matsui and Damon were battle tested and had come up big in the playoffs. And Johnson's great OBP is somewhat offset by how slow and injury prone he is.

I would have preferred that Damon ended up on a blatant non-contender, and it's possible that this deal will contribute to keeping the Tigers in contention longer, which might keep Miguel Cabrera off the market longer. Not that I expect Cabrera to come to the Sox, but it would be nice if they have potential gets besides Adrian Gonzalez should they be seeking to upgrade the offense, if nothing else but to keep the Padres honest.

YankeePride1967
02-21-10, 08:15 PM

We'll knlow when we see what he gets for his 2011 deal.

YankeePride1967
02-21-10, 08:19 PM
Whenever I watched Damon, whether with the Red Sox or the Yankees, he didn't always look great, especially his throwing arm. But the guy was often in the midst of making something good happen. Stuff that can't always be reduced to stats, like the two stolen bases on one play in the World Series. Many times with the Red Sox, Damon would ground out to second, but not until he saw 10 pitches at the plate and fouled off 5 of them. I know there are those who don't believe anything that's not contained in OPS or some other metric, but I know this guy was a gamer and he left it all on the field. I would have been thrilled if the Red Sox had signed him instead of Cameron, although even in left he would not have fit into their new defensive mantra.

You keep reading that because it's what's happening. Why would you use a player's positon in the field to compare them offensively?

ieddyi
02-21-10, 08:57 PM
I think the Yankees will miss Damon and am glad he didn't sign back with them in the end (not that I expected that at this point).

I thought he was slowing down heading into last season, but he bounced back well and was really suited to Yankee Stadium's short porch in right. Good luck with Comerica, Johnny.

A good argument can be made that the Yankees upgraded with Granderson and Johnson, but Matsui and Damon were battle tested and had come up big in the playoffs. And Johnson's great OBP is somewhat offset by how slow and injury prone he is.

I would have preferred that Damon ended up on a blatant non-contender, and it's possible that this deal will contribute to keeping the Tigers in contention longer, which might keep Miguel Cabrera off the market longer. Not that I expect Cabrera to come to the Sox, but it would be nice if they have potential gets besides Adrian Gonzalez should they be seeking to upgrade the offense, if nothing else but to keep the Padres honest.

Please explain this new metric myfriendtheoshmeo

Is it a new riff on the classic " clogging up the bases " gem?

Steve Dalkowski
02-21-10, 09:01 PM
Please explain this new metric myfriendtheoshmeo

Is it a new riff on the classic " clogging up the bases " gem?
Johnson has elite on-base skills, yet he's not an elite player. Why is that?

BronxYanks45
02-21-10, 09:04 PM
hate to see Damon go, his bat was made for the RF porch. Damon played in 140 games for the past 10 seasons, so I doubt he'll hit the DL for anything more than 15 days.

totally for him coming back mid season.

MooseDaGun
02-21-10, 09:16 PM
He doesn't have much else to offer, but he's here to get on base in front of the big guys.

ieddyi
02-21-10, 09:30 PM

Is JD Drew an elite player?

Myfriendtheoshmeo was only talking about OBP and speed and I responded with a question.

I do admire your protective instincts though, you don't wanna see him ruined like the political soapbox thread

Steve Dalkowski
02-21-10, 09:43 PM
Is JD Drew an elite player?

Myfriendtheoshmeo was only talking about OBP and speed and I responded with a question.

I do admire your protective instincts though, you don't wanna see him ruined like the political soapbox thread

Amazing how your tone changes depending on the subform you're in. As you wrote earlier today:

You comments about my posts in general are tiring. Why not just deal with content rather than snipe?
But anyway, what does JD Drew have to do with anything? I was responding to your "snipe" towards another poster by suggesting that Johnson's excellent skill set is somewhat diminished by his lack of several others. Not exactly controversial - and it has nothing to do with "clogging the bases."

I'm A Wenner!
02-21-10, 10:25 PM
I love when Red Sox fans tell us what trouble we're in.

Steve Dalkowski
02-21-10, 10:30 PM
I love when Red Sox fans tell us what trouble we're in.
Holy taking things out of context. For the record, I wanted the Sox to get NJ.

I'm A Wenner!
02-21-10, 10:31 PM
Holy taking things out of context. For the record, I wanted the Sox to get NJ.

You're so vain, you probably thought that post was about you.

I was talking about Theo and Tommy talking about how much the Yankees would miss Damon.

Steve Dalkowski
02-21-10, 10:33 PM

I was talking about Theo and Tommy talking about how much the Yankees would miss Damon.Super. Hard to know when you don't quote any posts and your comment was directly after mine, though.

I'm A Wenner!
02-21-10, 10:34 PM
Super. Hard to know when you don't quote any posts and your comment was directly after mine, though.

Are you all this humorless?

Jeter Kid
02-21-10, 11:01 PM
Good luck to JD... I am a little confused why he would accept 1/8 over 2/14... Oh well.

HelloNewman
02-21-10, 11:07 PM
I was talking about Theo and Tommy talking about how much the Yankees would miss Damon.Red Sox fans' admiration for Damon seems to have spiked quite a bit in recent weeks.

HelloNewman
02-21-10, 11:08 PM
Good luck to JD... I am a little confused why he would accept 1/8 over 2/14... Oh well.Because the 2/14 disappeared over 2 months ago.

ieddyi
02-21-10, 11:10 PM
Amazing how your tone changes depending on the subform you're in. As you wrote earlier today:

But anyway, what does JD Drew have to do with anything? I was responding to your "snipe" towards another poster by suggesting that Johnson's excellent skill set is somewhat diminished by his lack of several others. Not exactly controversial - and it has nothing to do with "clogging the bases."

Someone give Steve a boost up so he can become an ankle biter

ThePinStripes
02-21-10, 11:53 PM
Good luck to JD... I am a little confused why he would accept 1/8 over 2/14... Oh well.

Because the 2/14 offer from the Yankees disappeared long ago and the 2/14 from the Tigers/Braves/Blue Jays/Mets/Expos wasn't real. I'm fairly sure Boras claimed he received more offers than there are MLB teams.

Anyway, way to go Boras. You got Johnny Damon $7M. Good thing he had you around. I don't think anyone else could pull off that kind of deal! One thing is for certain- no one else would be able to make a likable player guy look like a dumb ass douche.

TommyK8
02-22-10, 04:16 AM
You keep reading that because it's what's happening. Why would you use a player's positon in the field to compare them offensively?If you just look at the offense, there are three players switching up. It seems to me that Granderson is a big upgrade over Cabrera, although I think it will be interesting to see where he hits in the lineup as last year, his OPS+ was about the same as Melky's and I'm not sure he's a middle of the order type of guy. NJ takes over for Damon. I think he's an on base machine, mostly due to walks...he's much slower on the bases though in the number 2 spot. And then you have Winn/Gardner replacing Matsui, which I think is a defensive upgrade and I think that Gardner may surprise everyone with how good he is.

TommyK8
02-22-10, 04:17 AM
Red Sox fans' admiration for Damon seems to have spiked quite a bit in recent weeks.Of course the Red Sox fans hated seeing Damon go to the Yankees. But I acknowledged the Red Sox missed him, too, and I think the Yankees will as well.

Here's what Terry Francona had to say:

Terry Francona on Johnny Damon: I wish he went to the National League. Good sign for Detroit. (Manager Jim) Leyland will love him immediately. But I’m not sad he’s not in our division.

“You can talk all you want about his decreasing defensive skills but when he comes up to bat it’s not a good feeling. He’s shooting balls all over the ballpark, over the third base dugout and bouncing one in your dugout then he looks over and he waves at you and then he hits a ball in the gap and gets a double. Not sad to see him move on.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/?p1=SportsNav_Sox_ExtraBases

YankeePride1967
02-22-10, 05:20 AM
It is amazing how much Melky Cabrera and Johnny Damon have gotten since the season ended. I see Melky now being touted by the same person who had done nothing but disparage him.

YankeePride1967
02-22-10, 05:24 AM
If you just look at the offense, there are three players switching up. It seems to me that Granderson is a big upgrade over Cabrera, although I think it will be interesting to see where he hits in the lineup as last year, his OPS+ was about the same as Melky's and I'm not sure he's a middle of the order type of guy. NJ takes over for Damon. I think he's an on base machine, mostly due to walks...he's much slower on the bases though in the number 2 spot. And then you have Winn/Gardner replacing Matsui, which I think is a defensive upgrade and I think that Gardner may surprise everyone with how good he is.

Tom, Winn isn't even starting, how is he replacing Matsui. Granderson hit 28 homers in Commerica last year, you ma have head about the Yankee Stadium right field last year? Granderson, not Winn. Is starting and most likely hitting 5 or 6. I guess you haven't been paying much attention to the Yankees this offseason!

So you are buying into that strange Tim McCarver theory that a batter can hurt a team by getting on base and "clogging up the basepaths". Please tell me you are not.

Miss Yvonne
02-22-10, 06:17 AM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that Terry Francona said something nice about a former player to the media.

YankeePride1967
02-22-10, 06:29 AM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that Terry Francona said something nice about a former player to the media.

Yeah, not really sure what a quote from Francona is supposed to be indicative of.

TommyK8
02-22-10, 07:14 AM
Tom, Winn isn't even starting, how is he replacing Matsui. Granderson hit 28 homers in Commerica last year, you ma have head about the Yankee Stadium right field last year? Granderson, not Winn. Is starting and most likely hitting 5 or 6. I guess you haven't been paying much attention to the Yankees this offseason!

So you are buying into that strange Tim McCarver theory that a batter can hurt a team by getting on base and "clogging up the basepaths". Please tell me you are not.I said Gardner/Winn are replacing Matsui, NJ is replacing Damon, and Granderson is replacing Melky. If you want to spin those around, fine, but three regulars from the Yankee order from last year are being replaced with three new hitters.

I'm not going to knock Granderson too much because I've always liked him. But the 30 homers last year may have come at the expense of free swinging. Could he bounce back? He's only 29, of course, but the bottom line is that despite the 30 homers, Granderson had only a .327 OBP and an OPS+ of 100...Melky's was 99.

TommyK8
02-22-10, 07:17 AM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that Terry Francona said something nice about a former player to the media.I was shocked to see someone say earlier in this thread that the word out of the Yankee front office would be that if Damon took a pay cut, he might pout all year. That almost never happens.

Apparently, it just came down to money. The Yankees didn't have $6 or $7 million lying around to give to Johnny Damon, so Gardner/Winn will play in the outfield. It looks like the Yanks gave the last of their payroll budget to Chan Ho Park.

YankeePride1967
02-22-10, 07:36 AM
I was shocked to see someone say earlier in this thread that the word out of the Yankee front office would be that if Damon took a pay cut, he might pout all year. That almost never happens.

Apparently, it just came down to money. The Yankees didn't have $6 or $7 million lying around to give to Johnny Damon, so Gardner/Winn will play in the outfield. It looks like the Yanks gave the last of their payroll budget to Chan Ho Park.

Yanks had 2/14 for Damon, Damon said no. Damon said this himself on WFAN two weeks ago.

YankeePride1967
02-22-10, 07:39 AM
I said Gardner/Winn are replacing Matsui, NJ is replacing Damon, and Granderson is replacing Melky. If you want to spin those around, fine, but three regulars from the Yankee order from last year are being replaced with three new hitters.

I'm not going to knock Granderson too much because I've always liked him. But the 30 homers last year may have come at the expense of free swinging. Could he bounce back? He's only 29, of course, but the bottom line is that despite the 30 homers, Granderson had only a .327 OBP and an OPS+ of 100...Melky's was 99.

Wow, for someone who did nothing but degrade Melky at every moment, he seems to have recently jumped a few notches in your book. And it's good that you are not going to knock Granderson too much because you would look foolish doing so.

TheoShmeo
02-22-10, 08:50 AM

I was talking about Theo and Tommy talking about how much the Yankees would miss Damon.
So your theory is that you need to be a Yankee fan to analyze and opine on all things Yankees? If that's the case, why offer opinions on the Red Sox if you're a Yankees fan?

The simple truth is that if you're a baseball fan and you watch any team -- Sox, Yankees or anyone else -- with any regularity, it's easy to understand whether certain players are key to the team's success. You don't have to be a Yankees fan to know that Mariano Rivera was one of the most important single contributors to the team since he's been a Yankee. And you don't have to be a Yankee fan to see that Johnny Damon was a big contributor last year or that the park was good for him, and that Brett Gardner is an open question heading into this season.

Similarly, you don't have to be a Sox fan to see that the Sox very well might have problems scoring runs with the team as currently constituted.

PS: I didn't write and don't think that Damon is going to be a major loss. The Yankees are probably the favorite to win the 2010 WS right now. Still, I think they'll feel his loss, as some of them (Posada, among others, I believe) have acknowledged.

President Kennedy
02-22-10, 09:09 AM
The simple truth is that if you're a baseball fan and you watch any team -- Sox, Yankees or anyone else -- with any regularity, it's easy to understand whether certain players are key to the team's success. You don't have to be a Yankees fan to know that Mariano Rivera was one of the most important single contributors to the team since he's been a Yankee. And you don't have to be a Yankee fan to see that Johnny Damon was a big contributor last year or that the park was good for him, and that Brett Gardner is an open question heading into this season.

So the greatest closer in the history of the game is pretty good and a guy who has yet to be a ML starter for a full season might not be so good. No, you don't have to be a Yankee fan to hit some really glaringly obvious ideas that even non-baseball fans could probably point to.

PS: I didn't write and don't think that Damon is going to be a major loss. The Yankees are probably the favorite to win the 2010 WS right now. Still, I think they'll feel his loss, as some of them (Posada, among others, I believe) have acknowledged.

So he won't be a major loss, but the guys will notice his pinochle chair is empty. Okay. Thanks.

TheoShmeo
02-22-10, 09:37 AM
So the greatest closer in the history of the game is pretty good and a guy who has yet to be a ML starter for a full season might not be so good. No, you don't have to be a Yankee fan to hit some really glaringly obvious ideas that even non-baseball fans could probably point to.

So he won't be a major loss, but the guys will notice his pinochle chair is empty. Okay. Thanks.
You never fail to twist things beyond recognition.

You completely missed the point on Rivera. I didn't write that he's "pretty good." He's obviously light years beyond that. My point was that you don't need to be a Yankees fan to know that he's one of the biggest keys to their success. And the broader point was, and remains, that you don't need to be a fan of a particular team to know which players are key and other key aspects of that team.

And regardless of your snark about Johnny, I think he'll be an important loss because of what he brings on and off the field, and I believe that view is shared by some Yankees players and coaches, and many Yankees fans. That his loss is obviously not insurmountable doesn't negate the basic point.

ieddyi
02-22-10, 09:47 AM
You know it's getting thick when they have to resort to "gamer, playoff tested and off the field" to try and make a point

President Kennedy
02-22-10, 09:49 AM
You never fail to twist things beyond recognition.

You completely missed the point on Rivera. I didn't write that he's "pretty good." He's obviously light years beyond that. My point was that you don't need to be a Yankees fan to know that he's one of the biggest keys to their success. And the broader point was, and remains, that you don't need to be a fan of any team to know which players are key and other key aspects of that team.

Of course you do. It's easy to make pronouncements about the big names, but beyond that only following a team on a regular basis gives your thoughts any insight. Otherwise you wind up writing a bunch of long winded posts that don't offer anything except mounds of qualifiers which become necessary because you don't know if anything you're saying is true.

And regardless of your snark about Johnny, I think he'll be an important loss

Are you sure about that?

PS: I didn't write and don't think that Damon is going to be a major loss.

You don't sound so sure about that.

And regardless of your snark about Johnny, I think he'll be an important loss because of what he brings on and off the field, and I believe that view is shared by some Yankees players and coaches, and many Yankees fans.

http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/3117498943_da9dd99009_o.jpg

DO IT FOR JOHNNY, MAN! DO IT FOR JOHNNY!

TheoShmeo
02-22-10, 10:22 AM
Obviously, Damon's loss is not just about being a gamer or being good in the locker room. Those things have been said about Damon wherever he's played, but they're hardly THE reason why the Yankees will miss him, in my view.

The quotes below from Posada and Girardi below don't by themselves make the point about Damon, and one can disagree with Girardi and Posada, of course. But they are consisent with how I'd expect the Yankees to view his loss.

“Once spring training starts, it’s real,’’ Jorge Posada said. “Your team is set and you know he isn’t coming back. We will miss the guy. He was really key for us throughout the years, especially last year. I am happy for him. I don’t know why he wasn’t signed. I don’t know what the deal was.’’

“I am happy for him because he knows where he is going to go,’’ Joe Girardi said. “For players, that’s an anxious time figuring out where you are going to be. Usually, it doesn’t go on this long. I wish Johnny luck, Johnny was good for us here. We all miss Johnny, this is the hard part of the game when relationships change a little bit. I will root for Johnny except when he is playing against us.’’

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/yankeesblog/yankees_wish_damon_luck_with_tigers_Pi95QfXdQKItrIdG9hLP8N

President Kennedy
02-22-10, 10:24 AM
The quotes below from Posada and Girardi below don't by themselves make the point about Damon,

"Your Honor, in conclusion, I just don't know."

ieddyi
02-22-10, 10:30 AM
Is there no mercy rule in NYYfans?

TheoShmeo
02-22-10, 10:36 AM
"Your honor, in conclusion, I just don't know."
Your continued amusement over any view that recognizes that the world is grey and not black and white is idiotic. No hedging there.

The view that Johnny Damon will be a loss to the Yankees but not an insurmountable one isn't hard to grasp, yet saying that causes you to wet your internet pants with your silly "hee, hee, there he is, hedging again."

YankeePride1967
02-22-10, 10:43 AM
Remember the good ol' days when Coco Crisp was as good as Damon and that the Yanks made a mistake paying him what they did for a four year deal because "he didn't want to be there"?

NewEraYanks2527
02-22-10, 10:53 AM
I'll miss Johnny, I'll probably appreciate his last season the most of all and we will always remember his double steal.

With that out of the way, he was all about the money, he turned down a better deal earlier on and I'm glad he and Borass didn't really get the contract he wanted...oh Johnson and Granderson FTW!!!!!

YankeePride1967
02-22-10, 10:56 AM
I'll miss Johnny, I'll probably appreciate his last season the most of all and we will always remember his double steal.

With that out of the way, he was all about the money, he turned down a better deal earlier on and I'm glad he and Borass didn't really get the contract he wanted...oh Johnson and Granderson FTW!!!!!

Perfectly said. Would I have rather had Damon in left instead of Winn/Gardner? Yes, but I'll take the players we added (Granderson, Vazquez, Winn, Thames and Johnson) over the players we lost. I am very happy with our off-season.

ZIM 2002
02-22-10, 11:03 AM
He obviously wanted 2 years, but I guess he feels like he saved face a little by getting more than the Yankees last offer to him of 6. Hopefully Granderson does great and the Tigers don't get the last laugh!

President Kennedy
02-22-10, 11:12 AM
Your continued amusement over any view that recognizes that the world is grey and not black and white is idiotic. No hedging there.

You don't speak to grey areas, Theo. You cover every single possible scenario, badly, and then agree to disagree with yourself. Stating that a given player will perform well but could struggle is taking unknown variables into account. Stating that Johnny Damon's departure will be an important loss after stating that Johnny Damon's departure won't be a major loss is someone who has no idea what he's talking about, but just likes to type.

The view that Johnny Damon will be a loss to the Yankees but not an insurmountable one isn't hard to grasp, yet saying that causes you to wet your internet pants with your silly "hee, hee, there he is, hedging again."

My pants are perfectly dry, it's your logic that's wet. You stated you didn't believe it would be a big loss, then stated it would be an important loss. You're just contradicting yourself because even you've come to the conclusion by now that your posts on these things don't make any sense. :lol:

JDPNYY
02-22-10, 11:18 AM
I think all of us (Yankee Fans, Red Sox Fans, Padres Fans...) can agree to agree that the Yankees loss of Damon will fall somewhere between being an important loss and not a major loss.

Most of us anyway. Or maybe none of us.

President Kennedy
02-22-10, 11:24 AM
I think all of us (Yankee Fans, Red Sox Fans, Padres Fans...) can agree to agree that the Yankees loss of Damon will fall somewhere between being an important loss and not a major loss.

Or a huge loss that wont' be insurmountable. I mean, it could turn out to be insurmountable too. But maybe not due to Damon, who would definitely be a factor regardless. To some extent.

jeterdaman
02-22-10, 12:08 PM
Boras really has the Tigers' number. I didn't think Damon would do this well this late in the free agent game, and I'm not sure the Tigers didn't outbid the next highest suitor by at least $3 million.

That's Yankee Economics at it's best

Saxmania
02-22-10, 12:31 PM

Everyone likes to negotiate.

No-one likes to negotiate.

Most people like to negotiate.

All right, a few people like to negotiate.

SOME people like to negotiate.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Rocketbooster
02-22-10, 01:11 PM
Michael Kay just reported on his show that Damon said at his press conference today that he wanted to go to Detroit after Boston. Ok, I know he has to make nice to the Tigers, but really Johnny?

PuffNettles9
02-22-10, 01:20 PM
Johnny's curtain call...

http://www.ultimateyankees.com/Johnny%20Damon%20Series%2019.jpg

JGiambi25
02-22-10, 01:22 PM
Michael Kay just reported on his show that Damon said at his press conference today that he wanted to go to Detroit after Boston. Ok, I know he has to make nice to the Tigers, but really Johnny?

He did say that but a second later he was really about to tear up there when they asked him why the Yankees didn't want to come to terms with him. That one hit him hard.

35Knucklecurve
02-22-10, 01:25 PM
Maybe he was talking about the schedule. :lol:

I will miss JD - his base-running in the post season was classic stuff.

TheGameEpisode2
02-22-10, 01:26 PM
Press conference is on MLB Network, btw.

Damon seems to be upset by the Yankee questions.

Jeter Kid
02-22-10, 03:00 PM
Because the 2/14 disappeared over 2 months ago.

He played the waiting game... And failed miserably. Greediness is a b!tch (Hi, Scott Boras).

Don Wrigley
02-22-10, 03:18 PM

I'm not sure why this is out of line--he may have wanted to go to Detroit, but the Yankees offered more money (in fact this is an extremely likely scenario). Not everybody comes to New York because it's their first choice, it's often because it's their wallet's first choice.

Saying that doesn't preclude the player from enjoying their time in New York...

I'm A Wenner!
02-22-10, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure why this is out of line--he may have wanted to go to Detroit, but the Yankees offered more money (in fact this is an extremely likely scenario). Not everybody comes to New York because it's their first choice, it's often because it's their wallet's first choice.

Saying that doesn't preclude the player from enjoying their time in New York...

Have you ever been to Detroit?

Blazer
02-22-10, 10:45 PM
Have you ever been to Detroit?

I have. It's a run down city, but the people are about the best in America and there's always Ann Arbor.

JeterForPresident
02-22-10, 11:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_tigers_damon

"This is where I wanted to be," he said Monday after completing his $8 million, one-year contract. "The Tigers were my first choice. I love it here and think I am a good fit."

Don't get me wrong, he won me over in his time with the Yankees and i really did want him back. But, the bottom line is that he is a gun for hire.

He is a gamer, he plays hard, he plays injured, he takes the blame, he steps up and helps his teammates when it comes to dealing with the media, and he really is an all-around great guy to have on your team...

But, still a mercenary looking for the highest salary.

Yankeeah
02-22-10, 11:58 PM
When he signed with the Yankees wasn't there a team that offered him 7 years, but he took the Yankees offer? Didn't Buster say it was the Tigers back when he signed with the Yanks?

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-23-10, 12:11 AM
If Johnny gets $6.01m with another team next year, he'll see it as a good decision. He's always been about the money, and frankly I don't hold that against him.

YankeePride1967
02-23-10, 05:05 AM
If Johnny gets $6.01m with another team next year, he'll see it as a good decision. He's always been about the money, and frankly I don't hold that against him.

Neither do I. I thank him for his 4 great years as a Yankee.

Miss Yvonne
02-23-10, 06:44 AM
When he signed with the Yankees wasn't there a team that offered him 7 years, but he took the Yankees offer? Didn't Buster say it was the Tigers back when he signed with the Yanks?
IIRC, Scott Boras claimed there was a team that offered him a 7-year deal.

Mr. Mxylsplk
02-23-10, 09:12 AM
But, the bottom line is that he is a gun for hire... a mercenary looking for the highest salary.

So unique among his peers in that regard.

JeterForPresident
02-23-10, 11:20 AM
So unique among his peers in that regard.

Unfortunately, not at all...I guess just disappointing. But perhaps it is foolish for a fan to think that maybe, just maybe the guy really does mean what he says when he says there is no other place he wants to play.

Again, not that I blame Johnny, he just went out and got what he thought he was worth, or at least tried to, and that is the American way.

Rice14
02-23-10, 11:43 AM

Yep. Long ago, I worked in a bank. Every once in a while they would run a "teaser" CD rate promotion. They would advertise an exceptionally high 6 month CD rate and money would come pouring in off the streets. These new customers would tell us how nice our bank was, how great the staff was, appreciate that we didn't have long lines, tell us our coffee tasted great, etc. but in six months if our rate wasn't still the highest they would take their money out and give it to another bank offering a better rate. Our managers used to get frustrated by this and wondered why we couldn't keep any of these customers, but I didn't blame the customers for shopping for a better rate. Furthermore, when that customer was only yours to begin with because they left another bank for your better rate, it's pretty foolish to think they aren't going to do the same to you.

Sixty one
02-23-10, 03:18 PM
Good luck to Johnny! I think the Yanks will miss his clutch hits and great attitude in the clubhouse. However, I don't understand why at his press conference yesterday he said that five years ago his first choice to go was Detroit and now he and his wife are totally happy to be with the Tigers. I thought he wanted to remain with NY?

delv
02-23-10, 10:23 PM
Good luck to Johnny! I think the Yanks will miss his clutch hits and great attitude in the clubhouse. However, I don't understand why at his press conference yesterday he said that five years ago his first choice to go was Detroit and now he and his wife are totally happy to be with the Tigers. I thought he wanted to remain with NY?

:scared:

:roflmao:

PrettyinPinstripes
02-24-10, 11:05 AM

I think all free agents say things like that, about how they've always wanted to play in the city/for the team with whom they've just signed. Pathetic, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Or maybe sour grapes on Damon's part, since he didn't get what he wanted out of the Yankees. Whatever.

RogerNatural
02-24-10, 05:10 PM
A nice job with Johnny with the Yanks, culminating with his contribution to the Chanpionship. But he was a total bufoon at this press conference. It was comedy at it's best.

CallOfTheCrow
02-24-10, 05:16 PM
I think all free agents say things like that, about how they've always wanted to play in the city/for the team with whom they've just signed. Pathetic, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Or maybe sour grapes on Damon's part, since he didn't get what he wanted out of the Yankees. Whatever.

How is it pathetic? Would you prefer he say "I'm only here because it was one of the only options I had" ?

It sounds like you're the one with the grudge here.

BobbyMeacham's glove
02-24-10, 06:28 PM
So they trade away Granderson and now are paying 2.5 million more for an older player who can barely play defense ???

I understand Curtis was signed through 2013, but talk about jumping the gun on a salary dump and then overpaying for a player to replace him.

Why not keep Granderson for 2010, see how you team and the economy is, then trade him at before 2011 ???

BronxYanks45
02-25-10, 12:35 PM
well good luck to Damon in Detroit, still would have liked to have Damon in the lineup that way you can put Granderson or Johnson lower

R.V.47
02-25-10, 12:38 PM
So they trade away Granderson and now are paying 2.5 million more for an older player who can barely play defense ???

I understand Curtis was signed through 2013, but talk about jumping the gun on a salary dump and then overpaying for a player to replace him.

Why not keep Granderson for 2010, see how you team and the economy is, then trade him at before 2011 ???

Its possible they might have just soured on Granderson as a player.

flymick24
02-25-10, 04:23 PM
or they're just a poorly run organization

Yankee Tripper
02-25-10, 04:39 PM

Gives them finacial flexibility later on (there are almost no bad one year deals) but it really wasn't dumping Granderson for Damon which they probably never would have done it was ---

Dumping Granderson & Jackson's salary, not overpaying for Lyon or Rodney to
get about 20 years of team controlled players in: Jackson, Coke, Scherzer, Schlereth while signing their first credible closer in recent memory and grabbing Damon as an offensive stop gap in a division where one or two wins could easily be the difference in October baseball or no October baseball.

Mezmerize
02-26-10, 01:43 PM
or they're just a poorly run organization

Given the numbers I've seen in terms of revenue vs. payroll investment, Detroit does not appear to me to be a well-run organization. They do seem to have some good scouting, drafting, and development though.

MooseDaGun
02-26-10, 02:00 PM
How is it pathetic? Would you prefer he say "I'm only here because it was one of the only options I had" ?

It sounds like you're the one with the grudge here.
I really dislike this types of rash exaggeration. Nobody expects them to say that, but what Johnny said was clearly a lie. The guy prided himself on winning, and his first preference was to go to a team that went 71-91 in 2005 and whose best hitter that year was Chris Shelton? It doesn't matter whose fan base you're appeasing, those bald-faced lies only deserve a chuckle.

Hitman23
02-26-10, 02:01 PM
I was kind of hoping he'd go to the NL. This is the perfect thing for Michael Kay to obsess over when the the Tigers come to town. He'll talk about the showdown for a month, set up the series and each game with the drama. And we'll have to hear boos or cheers or whatever. Kay is drooling.

delv
02-26-10, 03:39 PM
I was kind of hoping he'd go to the NL. This is the perfect thing for Michael Kay to obsess over when the the Tigers come to town. He'll talk about the showdown for a month, set up the series and each game with the drama. And we'll have to hear boos or cheers or whatever. Kay is drooling.

This is the problem with Michael Kay. Not much else, but... this.

Hitman23
02-26-10, 04:51 PM
This is the problem with Michael Kay. Not much else, but... this.Well I have a few issues with his announcing but this is one of the worst. His obsessive need to force drama. I don't care what he talks about on his show but at game time just call the game.

NyQuil
02-27-10, 11:14 AM
Good lucky Johnny....except when you play the Yankees.

Is he the first guy since Ruth to win a WS with both the Sox and the Yankees?

DEADSOX
02-27-10, 11:17 AM
Boggs and Clemens were only a strike away from winning one with both.

nnysiny
02-27-10, 11:22 AM
Good lucky Johnny....except when you play the Yankees.

Is he the first guy since Ruth to win a WS with both the Sox and the Yankees?
Hinske and Kevin Cash were on the 07 Sox and 09 Yankees, although i dont think Cash got a ring

delv
02-27-10, 05:59 PM
Hinske and Kevin Cash were on the 07 Sox and 09 Yankees, although i dont think Cash got a ring

Also Ramiro Mendoza. Wikipedia says:

Mendoza was the only player in the last 75 years to win a World Series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series) ring with both the New York Yankees (1998Ė2000) and Boston Red Sox (2004) before Johnny Damon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Damon) and Eric Hinske (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hinske) joined that club in 2009.

Meecham4ever
02-28-10, 08:35 AM
Poor Johnny...doesn't Hank realize he's got a family to support? Lupoca does... :lol:

- Imagine the nerve of Johnny Damon, thinking that after having the season he did and the World Series he did, that he shouldn't have to take a massive pay cut so that the Yankees could show off their new "budget" to the world.

Show everybody how cost conscious they are even though they're still more than $50 million ahead of the field in payroll in their sport.

You know what you read and what you hear.

Now there is the notion that both sides were at fault in the negotiation - or lack thereof - that resulted in Damon leaving the
Yankees and eventually signing a one-year deal with the Tigers.

But that Damon was still the most at fault.

That is how things go when you're talking about the company in a company town.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/winter_olympics_2010/2010/02/28/2010-02-28_team_usa_beating_canada_is_a_good_story_but_its_no_miracle.html?page=1

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-28-10, 07:00 PM
Lupica :snooze:

BronxYanks45
02-28-10, 07:59 PM
said it once and i'll say it again. Offensively the yankees are better with Damon in the 2 spot so you can move Granderson and Johnson lower in the lineup.

Defensively with Damon, were no better than the 2009 squad.

wish Damon all the success, just not against us

I'm A Wenner!
02-28-10, 08:16 PM
Why is Johnson better off lower in the lineup? He gets on-base at a much, much, much higher rate than Damon. At the top of the order, getting on-base is far and away the most important offensive skill. There's nothing even close to as important for a #2 hitter as getting on-base. Given that Johnson does it so much better than Damon, how do you think the Yankees are better off with Damon hitting 2nd rather than Johnson?

Rocketbooster
03-03-10, 08:30 AM
(http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/03/03/his_memories_are_all_pleasant)http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/03/03/his_memories_are_all_pleasant

But all he has heard is how he and Scott Boras screwed up the negotiations. But did they?

ďI think itís baloney,íí Damon said. ďI was a player coming off one of my best years. Youíre entitled to be a free agent. Going back to New York would have been ideal. But they offered Nick Johnson a contract before me and then they kept listening to the media and rumors that were out there instead of dealing with us personally, and thatís what irks me.

(http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/03/03/his_memories_are_all_pleasant)

Wow, Iím so over Damon already. They offered NJ a contract WELL after Damon told the Yankees to shove it unless they offered 2/26. I canít believe he came right out and accused Cashman of not negotiating in good faith. Cash listening to rumors and the media? Only in a parallel universe would this be true.

nnysiny
03-03-10, 10:38 AM
Wow, Iím so over Damon already. They offered NJ a contract WELL after Damon told the Yankees to shove it unless they offered 2/26. I canít believe he came right out and accused Cashman of not negotiating in good faith. Cash listening to rumors and the media? Only in a parallel universe would this be true.
going back the Yankees would be "ideal," but he always wanted to be a Tiger. oh boy

Ram Man
03-03-10, 11:17 AM
going back the Yankees would be "ideal," but he always wanted to be a Tiger. oh boy

Damon would be advised to shut his pie hole. Everything he says just comes out stupider and stupider.

TheoShmeo
03-03-10, 05:10 PM
If 2006 is a guide, Damon will be talking in circles about his departure from the Yankees and the circumstances surrounding the same for the next 6 months, at the minimum.

35Knucklecurve
03-05-10, 08:48 AM
Wow, I’m so over Damon already. They offered NJ a contract WELL after Damon told the Yankees to shove it unless they offered 2/26. I can’t believe he came right out and accused Cashman of not negotiating in good faith. Cash listening to rumors and the media? Only in a parallel universe would this be true.
Considering how much the media really knows about running the most successful franchise in MLB history, I seriously doubt Cash needs to read 10 newspapers and listen to sports talks shows before he picks up the phone. It's starting to sound like Damon has taken the Gary Sheffield course on trashing your former teams. I'm disappointed in Damon. I wasn't thrilled when NY signed him, but I grew to really like the guy.

Rice14
03-05-10, 09:29 AM
If 2006 is a guide, Damon will be talking in circles about his departure from the Yankees and the circumstances surrounding the same for the next 6 months, at the minimum.

At least when Johnny was playing for the Yankees he was wise enough not to proclaim "he'd never play for the Tigers."

Seriously though, Damon treats this as a business and he's absolutely entitled to do so. I would probably follow the money too. However, he shouldn't be surprised, or offended, that teams also treat this as a business. The Yankees gave him a price he could come back at and he chose to go elsewhere. Doesn't really make either one of them the bad guy and Damon should just move on quietly.

I'm A Wenner!
03-05-10, 09:31 AM
I'm glad that he's made such an ass of himself, since I never liked him.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-05-10, 11:10 AM
I'm glad that he's made such an ass of himself, since I never liked him.
That's kind of hurtful - he thought really highly of you.

I'm A Wenner!
03-05-10, 11:24 AM

I don't think Damon does much thinking at all.

roblyo33
03-05-10, 08:08 PM
I don't think Damon does much thinking at all.

With his millions, he can pay someone to do his thinking for him.. I'm pretty sure he is a very happy and comfortable man.

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-06-10, 08:31 AM
I'm pretty sure he is a very happy and comfortable man.
Was, until he found out Wenner never liked him.

DaSh 1s
03-06-10, 09:51 AM

Mr. Mxylsplk
03-06-10, 11:43 AM
Love your avatar.

I'm A Wenner!
03-07-10, 02:40 PM
Was, until he found out Wenner never liked him.

He's known for a while, actually.