PDA

View Full Version : Lincecum signs multiyear deal

DEADSOX
02-12-10, 11:22 AM
According to Olney on ESPN just now, no details are known yet however.

DEADSOX
02-12-10, 11:33 AM
$23 million for 2 years. Some multiyear deal haha, I was definitely expecting more than 2 years.

TheGameEpisode2
02-12-10, 11:43 AM
That he didn't break Howard's record is a little surprising.

Brick Tamland
02-12-10, 11:45 AM
$23 million for 2 years. Some multiyear deal haha, I was definitely expecting more than 2 years.

Good for the Giants for finally coming to their senses though. Going to arb. with Lincecum would have been a huge mistake, and they would have definitely lost.

Steve Dalkowski
02-12-10, 12:05 PM
Good deal for Cum, considering he had submitted $13 in arb.

lulwut is vindicated!

DEADSOX
02-12-10, 12:17 PM

lulwut is vindicated!
:looking:

Snatch Catch
02-12-10, 12:57 PM

lulwut is vindicated!

That makes this a terrible deal (ignoring the guaranteed aspect).

Steve Dalkowski
02-12-10, 01:04 PM
That makes this a terrible deal (ignoring the guaranteed aspect).For some reason I thought I read $26M rather than the $23. Assuming they would have split the 8/13 difference in arb figures and come out with $10.5 for '10, that's $12.5 for '11. Not as good as the $15.5 I assumed the first time I read it.

Snatch Catch
02-12-10, 01:11 PM
For some reason I thought I read $26M rather than the $23. Assuming they would have split the 8/13 difference in arb figures and come out with $10.5 for '10, that's $12.5 for '11. Not as good as the $15.5 I assumed the first time I read it.

Also the likelyhood of him winning the arb case was pretty strong I would say.

lolwut
02-12-10, 01:35 PM
Hey guys what's going on?

Oh what's that? Lincecum didn't get to arbitration? Color me surprised. :P

flymick24
02-12-10, 01:37 PM
when did lincecum's name becum cum?

and why was i the last to know?

kan_t
02-12-10, 01:39 PM
Hey guys what's going on?

Oh what's that? Lincecum didn't get to arbitration? Color me surprised. :P
Props to you. :)

DaSh 1s
02-12-10, 02:58 PM
They brought the kid up on May 6th, 2007 in a year when they went on to finish 20 games under .500.

There would be no arbitration discussion if they'd just been patient. Fail.

Yankee Tripper
02-12-10, 03:58 PM
They brought the kid up on May 6th, 2007 in a year when they went on to finish 20 games under .500.

There would be no arbitration discussion if they'd just been patient. Fail.
Though it is nice to see a franchise put their fans first by bringing the kid up rather than just delay his arb clock to save a few bucks.
That was a cool Sunday night ESPN game debuet. Forget who took him deep, Victorino maybe. One of Timmy's few less than stellar starts.

yankeebot
02-12-10, 04:10 PM
Though it is nice to see a franchise put their fans first by bringing the kid up rather than just delay his arb clock to save a few bucks.
That was a cool Sunday night ESPN game debuet. Forget who took him deep, Victorino maybe. One of Timmy's few less than stellar starts.
It's more than a few bucks and we're talking about one month. They only had to wait one month. I think the fans could have handled that.

ThePinStripes
02-13-10, 03:01 AM
What the hell is the point of buying out only his arbitration years?
They probably could have had him for 5/75 (guessing, correct me if I'm wrong) but they chose 2/26 instead?

teknetic
02-13-10, 09:15 AM

Howard, I think. Struck out the side in the 1st also IIRC.

Principessa21
02-13-10, 01:21 PM
They probably could have had him for 5/75 (guessing, correct me if I'm wrong) but they chose 2/26 instead?
Lincecum easily could have turned them down when they tried to offer that. There's no way for us to know at this point.

Here's (http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/TimLincecum.html) a link to Chris O'Leary's excellent site. This specific link is on Lincecum, who he classifies as being "On the Bubble" (http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/index.html) in terms of injury risk wrt mechanics.

kan_t
02-13-10, 01:23 PM
Because he doesn't want to give up any FA year?

DaSh 1s
02-13-10, 01:44 PM

Agreed from the fan's point of view, but this isn't just a few bucks we are talking about here... He had collectively only pitched 62 innings in the minors prior.

NYYRules#1
02-13-10, 02:14 PM

Bingo. I wouldn't give up any FA years at this point if I were Lincecum, unless I were to get the same contract I'd get out on the open market (well upwards of $100 million).

TBH, I wouldn't have even taken this deal, I don't think. I would've at least demanded over the halfway point of the $8m and $13m figures.

ajra21
02-14-10, 07:00 AM
on MLB tonight they thought that this was a good deal for both clubs because the giants would have won the arb hearing.

Big_E
02-15-10, 08:34 AM
Bingo. I wouldn't give up any FA years at this point if I were Lincecum, unless I were to get the same contract I'd get out on the open market (well upwards of $100 million).

TBH, I wouldn't have even taken this deal, I don't think. I would've at least demanded over the halfway point of the $8m and $13m figures.

$10.5M is the half-way point. Which would be $21M for 2 years. If he got $23M for two years, he got over the half-way point...

DontHateOnNumber2
02-15-10, 05:11 PM

Which is genius strategy on Tim's part, but hopefully it won't bite him 2 seasons from now. He'd better continue logging all those innings. It's just crazy looking at his numbers and knowing how young he is now...then again I thought the same of Dontrelle Willis all those years ago. I wonder what he's up to now.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-15-10, 05:12 PM
on MLB tonight they thought that this was a good deal for both clubs because the giants would have won the arb hearing.

Yeah. Only at gunpoint.

ThePinStripes
02-15-10, 09:47 PM
$10.5M is the half-way point. Which would be $21M for 2 years. If he got $23M for two years, he got over the half-way point...

You're assuming arbitration was 50-50. It was more like 90/10 in Lincecum's favor. You're also expecting no increase next year.

It's all kind of balanced out by being guaranteed the money, and quite frankly, I would have done the same. $23M? Good, I know I'm set for life, living a good life, even if something crazy were to happen to a good size chunk of my money. I'll worry the difference between 100 and 130 million after that. The change in lifestyle and security between 100 and 130 million is marginal. You're still flying private, but it's still (probably) not your jet. You have all the house you care for in most of the places you want one. You can live the "big" life your whole life without worrying much about it and the ability to invest very conservatively since you're only needing to maintain, not advance. The difference between $13M and $23M is huge (before taxes) over the next 60 years of your life is huge.

ajra21
02-16-10, 09:57 AM
Yeah. Only at gunpoint.

they said that the arb people wouldn't give a that large of an increase, from $500k to 13m, even if he did win two cy youngs before the age of 25. they were unanimous in taking this view point. not sure i'd argee so easily but it is something to consider.

THEBOSS84
04-20-10, 04:13 PM
Very interesting article. If only Joba's decrease in velocity netted the same results as Tim's.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/evolution-of-lincecum

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-20-10, 04:17 PM
Very interesting article. If only Joba's decrease in velocity netted the same results as Tim's.

Interesting. I didn't know Eiland worked with the Giants.

But seriously, I do think this gets into the Yankees frustration with Joba -- regardless of velocity, he should be a more effective pitcher than he's shown

Hellsing
04-20-10, 04:36 PM

Even Tim doesn't seem to know how he lost his FB speed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-lincecum022210

teknetic
04-20-10, 04:43 PM

Lincecum took a no-hitter into the sixth and lost it on a dubious scorer's decision (Renteria had all day to make that play with Helton running and just missed the ball), but he was behind hitters all day and didn't command anything but his curveball. The Rockies' hitters were chasing it all day -- to be fair, Lincecum's Uncle Charlie is one of the best in the game -- but if it wasn't for that, he would have been knocked around early because he couldn't locate anything else and his velocity was just average at 90-93. It could just be fatigue from the long season, but couple this with his last outing and he's not the superman he was for the first four months of the season.

From September of last year. They probably gave Bumgarner the same stuff.

mentalgidget
04-20-10, 04:48 PM
From September of last year. They probably gave Bumgarner the same stuff.

Bumgarner was supposedly back up into the low 90's in his last start.
Apparently the Giants say that he had some personal stuff in the off season (got married) and may not have thrown as much as they would have liked & they didn't track him as well as they should have. They say he's getting himself out of spring training mode now

kan_t
04-20-10, 04:49 PM

The difference is that Tim has 3 plus to plus-plus breaking pitches and excellent command. He admitted that he didn't know where his fastball went. But 90-92MPH 2 seamer with 3 dominant breaking pitches are still dominant stuff. And it's hard for the Giants fans to complain about that when he actually pitches better now.

teknetic
04-20-10, 04:53 PM
The difference is that Tim has 3 plus to plus-plus breaking pitches and excellent command. He admitted that he didn't know where his fastball went. But 90-92MPH 2 seamer with 3 dominant breaking pitches are still dominant stuff. And it's hard for the Giants fans to complain about that when he actually pitches better now.

It only gives fuel to those who keep saying "decline in fastball velo doesn't mean everything!!1"

kan_t
04-20-10, 04:55 PM
Lincecum took a no-hitter into the sixth and lost it on a dubious scorer's decision (Renteria had all day to make that play with Helton running and just missed the ball), but he was behind hitters all day and didn't command anything but his curveball. The Rockies' hitters were chasing it all day -- to be fair, Lincecum's Uncle Charlie is one of the best in the game -- but if it wasn't for that, he would have been knocked around early because he couldn't locate anything else and his velocity was just average at 90-93. It could just be fatigue from the long season, but couple this with his last outing and he's not the superman he was for the first four months of the season.
So even with zero fastball command, he still dominated the Rockies and took a no-hitter into the sixth. Looked like a superman performance to me.

kan_t
04-20-10, 04:57 PM
It only gives fuel to those who keep saying "decline in fastball velo doesn't mean everything!!1"
It really doesn't mean everything, if your command and breaking stuff are good enough, like Lincecum. But it's not the case about Joba.

THEBOSS84
04-20-10, 04:58 PM
kan_t, I'm fully aware of Linecum's other excellent offerings/command, in case you thought I wasn't.

kan_t
04-20-10, 05:07 PM
kan_t, I'm fully aware of Linecum's other excellent offerings/command, in case you thought I wasn't.
I think you did aware this. :)

Another interesting case is Felix Hernandez. Like Lincecum, his fastball velocity keeps decreasing but he actually pitched better last year. Can it be the increased use of breaking stuff (change)? I don't know, just guessing.

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-20-10, 05:10 PM
I think you did aware this. :)

Another interesting case is Felix Hernandez. Like Lincecum, his fastball velocity keeps decreasing but he actually pitched better last year. Can it be the increased use of breaking stuff (change)? I don't know, just guessing.

It would be really interesting to see how common the velocity drop is. When Cashman mentioned it sometimes happened, people on here had all kinds of conspiracy theories... I'd be interested to see how unusual it really is

teknetic
04-20-10, 05:22 PM
It really doesn't mean everything, if your command and breaking stuff are good enough, like Lincecum. But it's not the case about Joba.

Which was my point..

kan_t
04-20-10, 05:25 PM
Which was my point..
Sorry, I misread your post. :lol: