PDA

View Full Version : Yanks to Hire Kevin Towers

CyYoung4Vazquez
01-28-10, 11:26 AM
The Yankees will announce the hiring of former Padres GM Kevin Towers before spring, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today (http://twitter.com/BNightengale/statuses/8327746517). ESPN's Buster Olney had been predicting this since October.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/yankees-to-hire-kevin-towers.html

Matsui55
01-28-10, 11:32 AM
The Yankees will announce the hiring of former Padres GM Kevin Towers before spring, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today (http://twitter.com/BNightengale/statuses/8327746517). ESPN's Buster Olney had been predicting this since October.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/yankees-to-hire-kevin-towers.html

I can't remember it I read it on an Olney post or somewhere else, but I think the Yanks are only going to give him a consulting contract.

The reason is that the Padres are still on the hook for Towers salary for 2010 if he doesn't get a job with another team. According to the post I read, if the Yanks use him as a consultant, rather than outright hiring him, then the Padres must still pay Towers, while the Yanks can use him for special scouting assignments, which apparently is one of his strengths.

PrettyinPinstripes
01-28-10, 12:56 PM
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what exactly are they hiring him for? Nothing I read is specific about that.

Matsui55
01-28-10, 01:06 PM
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what exactly are they hiring him for? Nothing I read is specific about that.

Scouting.

Finding the diamond in the rough is supposed to be one of his strengths.

dpbddd99
01-28-10, 03:33 PM
Good move.

Blazer
01-28-10, 03:36 PM
Isn't the eval of pitching talent a strength of Towers'?

yankee82093
01-28-10, 03:41 PM
Isn't the eval of pitching talent a strength of Towers'?

yes, a big strength

Yankeesfan21
01-28-10, 03:43 PM
Well if scouting and/or pitching evaluation is one of his biggest strengths, then this is a good move. Hopefully he can help replenish the farm system.

Yankyfan
01-28-10, 05:56 PM
So when do we sign Mark Prior ?:D

ChrisNY
01-28-10, 05:59 PM
Nice, no risk (or even cost really), major possibly upside if he finds us a gem. Go find us the next Joba (just picked him), but it would be great even to see a top 100 pitching prospect.

Pancake
01-28-10, 07:26 PM
Ugh. Give him a consulting title and keep him far away from the decision making. Two words: Matt Bush. Even if they didn't want to pay bonus money to the four or five big names for that draft, this was the best you could do? With the number one pick? No thanks.

I've been watching the Pads for years. So now Towers is a keen scout of pitching talent? Is this a talent he kept to himself? Why didn't he share that ability with the Padres?

Matsui55
01-28-10, 07:30 PM
Ugh. Give him a consulting title and keep him far away from the decision making. Two words: Matt Bush. Even if they didn't want to pay bonus money to the four or five big names for that draft, this was the best you could do? With the number one pick? No thanks.

I've been watching the Pads for years. So now Towers is a keen scout of pitching talent? Is this a talent he kept to himself? Why didn't he share that ability with the Padres?

Bush wasn't Towers fault- ownership wouldn't spend the money it would have taken to sign Neiman or Verlander.

The same applies to the team- particularly over the past 3 years with the Moores divorce. He did the best with what they gave him.

ring403
01-28-10, 07:41 PM
Four division titles and a World Series birth with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. He must have done something right.

kan_t
01-28-10, 07:42 PM

He made the decision to get Gonzalez, Young, Bell for nothing. Brought two division titles to the Padres under a cheap owner in last decade. When the owner spent he brought a NL champ to the team. I'm sure he didn't share his ability with Padres.

CallOfTheCrow
01-28-10, 08:45 PM

How about two more words: Mat Latos

YanksForLife
01-28-10, 11:55 PM
Well if scouting and/or pitching evaluation is one of his biggest strengths, then this is a good move. Hopefully he can help replenish the farm system.

With any luck we can crack the top 20 farm systems in MLB.

Yankyfan
01-29-10, 09:41 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35152755/ns/sports-player_news/

kan_t
01-30-10, 05:19 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35152755/ns/sports-player_news/
Thanks Dusty Baker.

Matsui55
01-30-10, 09:33 AM

Not unless we add Boston to the team name.

ChrisNY
01-30-10, 10:59 AM

I think we're ranked middle of the pack (14-16) in most rankings, but I could be wrong. Even with the trades we still have an average system (boosted to that level mostly by Montero, we could use some more depth).

ajra21
01-31-10, 09:08 AM
Bush wasn't Towers fault- ownership wouldn't spend the money it would have taken to sign Neiman or Verlander.

The same applies to the team- particularly over the past 3 years with the Moores divorce. He did the best with what they gave him.

agreed. he is a was a good GM who did pretty well considering his resources. having him can't be a hindrance.