PDA

View Full Version : John Smoltz ????

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 12:35 PM
I never read any thing about him and the Yanks this off season but JS in our pen could be interesting. Washed up or worth a shot on the cheap ? http://riveraveblues.com/

DiMaggio5CF
01-24-10, 12:41 PM
No.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
01-24-10, 12:43 PM
He did so wonderfully in Boston last year.

ace
01-24-10, 12:45 PM
He posted an impressive 8.32 ERA and 56 ERA+ in 40 innings last year in the AL east. :wtf:

And this future Yankee Classic episode (http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290806110)

Eldee5
01-24-10, 01:07 PM
As a pitching coach, sure.

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 01:23 PM
He posted an impressive 8.32 ERA and 56 ERA+ in 40 innings last year in the AL east. :wtf:

And this future Yankee Classic episode (http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290806110)Not good agreed but most of that was as a starter. IN St, L out of the pen he has 40so in 38 inn's. On the cheap I'd have to think it over.

ThePinStripes
01-24-10, 01:33 PM
Waste of money, waste of a roster spot, false sense of security.

Horrible idea, unless it's at a laughable salary very very close to MLB minimum. Even then, it would seem like a waste of $600k. He posted a 56 ERA+ last year in the AL East. There is no room on our roster for someone like that. Brett Tomko blew him out of the water with an 85 ERA+ and Mitre bested him with a 63 ERA+.

Rocketbooster
01-24-10, 01:36 PM
The Yankees were interested in Smoltz this off-season, but obviously it never went anywhere.

Hooligan Tavarez
01-24-10, 01:38 PM
Not good agreed but most of that was as a starter. IN St, L out of the pen he has 40so in 38 inn's. On the cheap I'd have to think it over.Smoltz appeared in 7 games for the Cardinals. He made 7 starts.

Matsui55
01-24-10, 01:58 PM
I say no.

Out of those 38 IP (and 7 starts), the first start was outstanding, the second one ok, and it was downhill after that- including a final start against the Reds that mirrored his start against the Yanks that got him released.

He's a had a nice career that MIGHT get him into the Hall, but he should really stop before he pulls a Steve Carlton ending (if he hasn't already).

ThePinStripes
01-24-10, 02:30 PM
I say no.

Out of those 38 IP (and 7 starts), the first start was outstanding, the second one ok, and it was downhill after that- including a final start against the Reds that mirrored his start against the Yanks that got him released.

He's a had a nice career that MIGHT get him into the Hall, but he should really stop before he pulls a Steve Carlton ending (if he hasn't already).

Might? Lol, I think he's got a fairly good shot at it ;)

Curmudgeon
01-24-10, 03:34 PM
Can he play left field?

ThePinStripes
01-24-10, 03:44 PM
Yeah, but he can't throw much better than Damon.

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but he can't throw much better than Damon.Thats just not right;)

Principessa21
01-24-10, 04:37 PM
I say no.

As a bullpen option (that is, if he'd have any interest), absolutely. Hard to know what to make of his '09. His BABIP of .364 was just unfathomably bad. His xFIP was still below 4, which is very good.

He lost about 1 mph on his average fastball, which imo is a clear sign of his aging. Out of the bullpen, he'd probably have a chance to still touch the lower mid-90s, & his BB/K rate would be a huge asset as a reliever. I hope for diligence's sake Cashman has at least contacted Smoltz to guage his interest in bullpen work.

EDIT: Oh, and "might" on Smoltz's HoF chances? I think that's a big understatement. I believe he's an absolute lock for the HoF.

ThePinStripes
01-24-10, 04:40 PM
Thats just not right;)

"Oh, jokes. I get jokes." -Homer Simpson

2JAY
01-24-10, 04:54 PM
Getting a John Smoltz at this point in his career would only be a move of desperation.

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 05:12 PM
Getting a John Smoltz at this point in his career would only be a move of desperation.I don't get your point.....

Ghost of Dan Pasqua
01-24-10, 05:17 PM
If it's for a minor league deal, BFD. I'm a fan of giving out minor league deals going into camp, essentially it's a no lose situation, same with a guy like Jim Edmonds. If a guy will take a minor league/make good deal, outstanding. Anything that guarentees a roster spot and takes up the 40 man, then it's a concern.

NelsonMuntz
01-24-10, 05:19 PM
I don't get your point.....
I thought his point was crystal clear. You'd have to be completely desperate for starting pitching to take a chance on Smoltz at this stage of his career.

Curmudgeon
01-24-10, 05:26 PM
Yeah, but he can't throw much better than Damon.

I think you nailed it.

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 05:27 PM
I thought his point was crystal clear. You'd have to be completely desperate for starting pitching to take a chance on Smoltz at this stage of his career.On the cheap IMO wouldn't hurt and I would look at him as a BP guy....Trying an older player in a lesser role has worked out in thepast for us and were no where near desperate..

HelloNewman
01-24-10, 05:31 PM
On the cheap IMO wouldn't hurt and I would look at him as a BP guy.Batting Practice? I agree. :)

Principessa21
01-24-10, 05:36 PM
I think you nailed it.
I think Damon would have to attach a rocket-launcher to his arm to average 91.4 mph on his fastball like Smoltz did last season.

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 05:42 PM
Remember Chile Davis,Tim Raines, Doc Gooden....

I'm A Wenner!
01-24-10, 05:53 PM
Smoltz is probably a maybe on the Hall. I'd probably put him in, but his numbers don't make him a lock.

HelloNewman
01-24-10, 05:57 PM
Chili Davis posted a 131 OPS+ the year before the Yankees signed him. Raines was at 111. Dwight Gooden was 31 years old.

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 06:09 PM
Strawberry ,Jim Kaat........

b-ball-lunachick
01-24-10, 06:12 PM
I need to get my eyes checked...I think this thread title says Smoltz?

NYYDragoon
01-24-10, 06:14 PM
I need to get my eyes checked...I think this thread title says Smoltz?
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/new-york-notes.html

Mr Coffee
01-24-10, 06:14 PM
Doesn't anyone remember last season?

Who started this thread-- the guy from Memento?

b-ball-lunachick
01-24-10, 06:17 PM
sorry I don't believe anything that says this:

The Mets would definitely like to sign John Smoltz, though it would cause a logjam of starting pitchers. Davidoff suggests that the team could move John Maine in order to create space for him.

the mets have a logjam of starting pitching? :lol: sign me up for that staff after Santana...NOT. :D

HelloNewman
01-24-10, 06:20 PM
The Mets would definitely like to sign John Smoltz, though it would cause a logjam of really ................ty starting pitchers. Davidoff suggests that the team could move John Maine in order to create space for him. Better?

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 06:20 PM
Tommy John part ll Al Leiter

Mr Coffee
01-24-10, 06:21 PM

"Davidoff hears that the Yankees were interested in the 42-year-old prior to landing Javier Vazquez."

Ok, well we dodged that bullet...Lock it up...

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/A-BIack_Man/Smileys/DancingLock.gif

b-ball-lunachick
01-24-10, 06:23 PM
Better?
:lol:

"Davidoff hears that the Yankees were interested in the 42-year-old prior to landing Javier Vazquez."

Ok, well we dodged that bullet...Lock it up...

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/A-BIack_Man/Smileys/DancingLock.gif

kind of like "I was going to have a sh*t sandwich but decided to go with the filet mignon instead. :D

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 06:23 PM
"it Aint Over Yet Jonnieeeeeeeee......"

Huktonfonix
01-24-10, 06:37 PM
Can't pitch, can't stay healthy, and is a huge bigot. Sounds like a great fit for NY.

Ram Man
01-24-10, 06:39 PM
and is a huge bigot.

This isn't the John Rocker thread. I'd like to hear the evidence of that charge.

Yankyfan
01-24-10, 06:50 PM
Can't pitch, can't stay healthy, and is a huge bigot. Sounds like a great fit for NY.I don't agree with your first 2 points and thats fine but what are you referring to with your 3rd statement ????

b-ball-lunachick
01-24-10, 07:07 PM
This isn't the John Rocker thread. I'd like to hear the evidence of that charge.
I believe there have been very public comments against homosexuals. I was shocked when someone posted it..I'll see if I can find it. very disappointing. :(

BronxYanks45
01-24-10, 07:11 PM
Smoltz is better in the NL, Boston should have used him in the pen

b-ball-lunachick
01-24-10, 07:12 PM
I don't agree with your first 2 points and thats fine but what are you referring to with your 3rd statement ????
I believe his comment about gay marriage was "What's next? Marry an animal?"

Ram Man
01-24-10, 07:20 PM
I believe his comment about gay marriage was "What's next? Marry an animal?"

I did a little research and found a reference to that comment. If that is accurate, yes, that is not an appropriate thing to say and backlash is certain. However, not to push this thread to a subject matter inappropriate, but opposing gay marriage does not make one a bigot.

b-ball-lunachick
01-24-10, 07:24 PM
I did a little research and found a reference to that comment. If that is accurate, yes, that is not an appropriate thing to say and backlash is certain. However, not to push this thread to a subject matter inappropriate, but opposing gay marriage does not make one a bigot.
you're right - don't want to take this thread in that direction - we can agree to disagree.

Huktonfonix
01-24-10, 07:33 PM

Barack Obama and Rick Santorum both oppose gay marriage. Obama got something like 80% of the gay vote while many of those same voters have taken up Dan Savage's very unflattering appropriation of Santorum's name. The key difference between their positions is that while both oppose gay marriage, only one equates it to bestiality.

Jumpboyjr
01-24-10, 09:59 PM
John Smoltz has never wanted to and still doesn't want to play for the Yankees. Any 'interest' between the two has been completely one-sided. I'd say he'll likely end up with the Mets.

I'm A Wenner!
01-24-10, 10:22 PM

This is a matter of public record. He has made some pretty inflammatory comments about homosexuals.

DEADSOX
01-24-10, 10:35 PM
Here's a reference to the Smoltz line

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/08/national/main628303.shtml

ThePinStripes
01-24-10, 11:18 PM
Barack Obama and Rick Santorum both oppose gay marriage. Obama got something like 80% of the gay vote while many of those same voters have taken up Dan Savage's very unflattering appropriation of Santorum's name. The key difference between their positions is that while both oppose gay marriage, only one equates it to bestiality.

The key difference is that Obama was a lesser of two evils. Voters had to choose between Obama and McCain, who more opposed to marriage. Gay voters didn't vote for him because of they liked the way he opposed gay marriage. Another key difference is that Obama's party supports gay marriage.

Curmudgeon
01-25-10, 06:52 AM
Smoltz used to be a great pitcher. But he's pretty much finished. He's milking his reputation to get another contract or two.

The Yankees have four guys competing for the 5th starter role, all of whom are better pitchers than than Smoltz is now.

ajra21
01-25-10, 02:01 PM
how does this thread get 3 pages already?

ThePinStripes
01-25-10, 02:07 PM
Smoltz used to be a great pitcher. But he's pretty much finished. He's milking his reputation to get another contract or two.

The Yankees have four guys competing for the 5th starter role, all of whom are better pitchers than than Smoltz is now.

Hughes, Joba.... maybe Gaudin? who else?

Curmudgeon
01-25-10, 02:20 PM
Aceves. He was mentioned by Girardi as being in the hunt for that role.

ajra21
01-25-10, 03:07 PM
lock this thread please mods.

:-padlock-

Yankyfan
01-25-10, 03:23 PM
lock this thread please mods.

:-padlock-I always seem to see A21 calling for the closing of threads. Are you the thread Police ? Whats up with that ?

delv
01-25-10, 04:57 PM
I always seem to see A21 calling for the closing of threads. Are you the thread Police ? Whats up with that ?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/toebee97/thread_police_badge.jpg

Nome
01-25-10, 05:14 PM
I can't think of a single reason to add Smoltz to our roster. During his career he was a mediocre pitcher with a great, competitive team

Andy

Yankee Tripper
01-25-10, 05:20 PM
I can't think of a single reason to add Smoltz to our roster. During his career he was a mediocre pitcher with a great, competitive team

Andy

:lol: I can understand not wanting Smoltz for many reasons including but not limited to: age, general ineffectiveness last year and money. But to imply he was a "mediocre pitcher" is one of the funniest things I've read on this site.

The dude was a full on stud and a large part of the reason those teams were "great".

ThePinStripes
01-25-10, 05:23 PM

Andy

3.33 Career ERA? career ERA+ of 125.

He really came to at about 28 years old. Between 28 and 41, he 3.04 ERA and 142 ERA. Of course, he was in the pen for half those seasons, but he was extremely good when he started as well. When he started between 95 and 99, he had a 144 ERA+ and a 135 ERA+ when he started over 05, 06 and 07.

I don't want him anywhere near our roster, but he won a CY Young for God sake. He's a HOF pitcher. He was a bit better than mediocre in his day.

CommerceComet
01-25-10, 05:27 PM
If it's for a minor league deal, BFD. I'm a fan of giving out minor league deals going into camp, essentially it's a no lose situation, same with a guy like Jim Edmonds. If a guy will take a minor league/make good deal, outstanding. Anything that guarentees a roster spot and takes up the 40 man, then it's a concern.I agree with this. I'd be pretty generous in giving out minor league contracts to guys who just might have something left and if the guy doesn't immediately show something in ST, cut him. Certainly, if he is available, Smoltz under these terms is worth a shot.

Rocketbooster
01-25-10, 09:08 PM
:lol: I can understand not wanting Smoltz for many reasons including but not limited to: age, general ineffectiveness last year and money. But to imply he was a "mediocre pitcher" is one of the funniest things I've read on this site.

The dude was a full on stud and a large part of the reason those teams were "great".

He's the same poster who thinks Shelley Duncan got a raw deal and is better than Nick Swisher. Shelley Duncan, lol.

ThePinStripes
01-25-10, 09:17 PM
He's the same poster who thinks Shelley Duncan got a raw deal and is better than Nick Swisher. Shelley Duncan, lol.

Ah, from the people who brought you "He clogs the basepaths" we bring to you, "BUT HE'S STREAKY!"

BRNXBMRS
01-26-10, 07:53 AM
No thanks to Smoltzy, there is another team 8 miles south of the Yanks that wants you.

Curmudgeon
01-26-10, 11:07 AM
No thanks to Smoltzy, there is another team 8 miles south of the Yanks that wants you.

Is Staten Island that far away from the Bronx?

gold23
01-26-10, 11:41 AM
No. Possibly the worst case scenario is Smoltz performing to a mediocre level for a period of time, which will likely elevate him higher than his level of performance on the trust factor. There's no way he's a starting pitcher in the AL East, so the only reasonable spot would be as a middle relief guy. If John Smoltz was happy being a mop-up guy, yeah...I'd prefer him to Sergio Mitre. Not much else.

OlgMvp
01-27-10, 01:05 AM
Smoltz, thank god is not a match for the Yanks roster. They're done shopping for anything but a LF'er.

Let the Mets have him and stick him in their #2 slot.

JeterRodriguezSheff
01-27-10, 01:22 PM
No...

ace
01-27-10, 02:09 PM
All John Smoltz has over Chad Gaudin or Sergio Mitre at this point is name recognition.

ThePinStripes
01-27-10, 02:17 PM
All John Smoltz has over Chad Gaudin or Sergio Mitre at this point is name recognition.

I don't know about that. Smoltz provides us with a new look (has to shave and it's far less frustrating to watch him give up a few home runs and lose the game than watch mitre get kill us with 10,000 paper(singles), slowly, inning after inning.

Gaudin >>>> Smoltz.