PDA

View Full Version : What would you think of a real "World" Series?

DEADSOX
01-07-10, 12:27 PM
Apparently it's being discussed:

TOKYO -- The United States and Japanese baseball champions could meet in a Global World Series, Japanese daily Nikkan Sports reported Thursday.
Nippon Professional Baseball commissioner Ryozo Kato was quoted as saying his Major League Baseball counterpart, Bud Selig, had agreed the winners of the two countries' professional leagues should play each other.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4803999

Personally I think it would be really cool. I don't think the players association would dig it too much though. By the time a teams wins the WS they're probably ready give it a break.

THEBOSS84
01-07-10, 12:30 PM
So after CC compiles 260 combined Major League innings, we send him off to this series where he can throw 14-18 more innings? Sign me up!

JDPNYY
01-07-10, 12:34 PM
I think even the Mets could easily beat the Japanese Baseball Champion.

DEADSOX
01-07-10, 12:34 PM
So after CC compiles 260 combined Major League innings, we send him off to this series where he can throw 14-18 more innings? Sign me up!

This is the type of reason why I see it never happening. I do think it is a cool concept though.

Yankees13
01-07-10, 12:36 PM
Sounds cool, but there's lots of problems with it. As has been already said, the players will be exhausted and teams won't be thrilled about further exposing their players, especially their pitchers, to injury. Also, where is it going to be played? Are you going have teams making 14 hour flights back and forth, or will it be at a neutral location? What will the timing be like? Will it immediately follow the WS or will it be later in the off-season (good luck getting the players to do either)? Lastly, will it be a serious thing, or just a glorified exhibition?

jeterdaman
01-07-10, 12:49 PM
It's the Olympics

BronxYanks45
01-07-10, 01:20 PM
Sounds cool, but there's lots of problems with it. As has been already said, the players will be exhausted and teams won't be thrilled about further exposing their players, especially their pitchers, to injury. Also, where is it going to be played? Are you going have teams making 14 hour flights back and forth, or will it be at a neutral location? What will the timing be like? Will it immediately follow the WS or will it be later in the off-season (good luck getting the players to do either)? Lastly, will it be a serious thing, or just a glorified exhibition?

exactly, sounds very cool but many issues arise:

-is it a 1, 3, 5, or 7 game series?
-where is it played?
-whose umpires do we use? combo?

my vote continue to support the WBC and focus the attention there or the MLB Japan All Star Series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Japan_All-Star_Series

If they really want to go ahead with this I'd say a short 1 or 3 game series.

tdel23
01-07-10, 01:23 PM
I have ZERO interest in this. The best players in the world are already in MLB. Is baseball in Japan head and shoulders above AAA baseball?

DEADSOX
01-07-10, 01:58 PM
The best players in the world are already in MLB. Is baseball in Japan head and shoulders above AAA baseball?

The Japenese won the WBC twice with teams composed of mostly non- MLB Japanese players. Ichiro and Otsuka were the only MLB Japanese players in last years tournament. They beat a pretty stacked US team composed of ALL MLB players.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-07-10, 02:14 PM
Doing it at the end of the mlb season really isn't practical, as others have pointed out. Doing it in place of the games which have been played in Japan in recent seasons would be much more feasible, but of course then you can't have the exact world series team intact. Seems very difficult to work out.

NYYDragoon
01-07-10, 02:18 PM
The Japenese won the WBC twice with teams composed of mostly non- MLB Japanese players. Ichiro and Otsuka were the only MLB Japanese players in last years tournament. They beat a pretty stacked US team composed of ALL MLB players.Yes, but it wasn't composed of the best. The best play throughout all of MLB.

K-W
01-07-10, 02:20 PM
Some kind of all-star game might be remotely doable, but there is no way Major League owners let their championship teams risk getting hurt or upset when their fans don't care about Japanese baseball.

The original story says it all. Everyone agrees that the World Series should include Japan. Selig didn't agree it ever would.

DaSh 1s
01-07-10, 02:20 PM
So if a team wins the WS, and then loses the Global World Series, do they still hold a parade and call themselves World Champions?

Yankee Tripper
01-07-10, 02:22 PM
The WBC isn't good enough and ruining pitchers whe need this too?

DEADSOX
01-07-10, 02:33 PM
Yes, but it wasn't composed of the best. The best play throughout all of MLB.

Not the best, but that's a damn good team. Not the best pitching in the world however.

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/rosters/index.jsp?team=usa

aeromac76
01-07-10, 02:58 PM
Not on board.

1) More innings for the guys, not interested. I'd be ticked losing a key player the following year because of this.
2) Another round of playoffs, not interested. The last thing I want is to win the current World Series and then have to feel like we need to win another World Series.
3) We already have the WBC and I hate that.

THEBOSS84
01-07-10, 03:06 PM
The Japenese won the WBC twice with teams composed of mostly non- MLB Japanese players. Ichiro and Otsuka were the only MLB Japanese players in last years tournament. They beat a pretty stacked US team composed of ALL MLB players.

The thing is, the MLB championship team will consist of talent from around the world (Cano, Posada, Rivera...etc). They'd crush the Japanese team that isn't even the Japanese All Stars.

Rocketbooster
01-07-10, 03:08 PM
I have absolutely no interest in this idea. Not only do I not care about international competition, but the season is long enough – let them rest up and spend time with their families.

The WS played in this country is sufficient for me.

BonusCantos
01-07-10, 03:40 PM
Dislike. Go away, Bud.

tdel23
01-07-10, 03:52 PM
The thing is, the MLB championship team will consist of talent from around the world (Cano, Posada, Rivera...etc). They'd crush the Japanese team that isn't even the Japanese All Stars.

exactly. The 2009 Yankees would crush whoever the champion is of the Japanese league. I bet the majority of MLB teams would also beat any Japanese team.

CoyoteYankee
01-07-10, 05:25 PM
Isn't this what the WBC is supposed to be for?

Waitinfor27
01-07-10, 09:28 PM
An interesting concept, and I can see it happening a few times, but not that many. This year would've been fun though, as the Yankees would have faced the Yomiuri Giants, known as the "Yankees of Japan." Not too mention Godzilla back at home, against Yomiuri; Japan = batsh*t crazy.

NewOrioleWork
01-08-10, 01:54 AM
This is cool.

I hope they do this.

A few things:

--We have to think about how much we're asking from the players. Every four years they're going to have a short off-season preparing for the WBC, and then we're asking for more games (the usual MLB tour to Japan, and now this "Global" World Series). We have to be realistic in terms of what we're demanding from players, as they're human beings with limitaitons, families, and lives. If Selig wants to expand international play, then great, but he should consider that nothing is free in this world: cut the MLB season from 162 games to, say, 150. It might make records wonky (would be hard to compare data from previous eras), but you could partially compensate by including intl. play in official records; and again, you can't get something for nothing, if you want the players to play abroad more, they might have to play at home less.

--Ideal location for this Global World Series is probably Hawaii. Perfect meeting ground for US and Asia. Also, one day in the far future, if you chose to expand the Global World Series to include Korea, Taiwan, and other countries, Hawaii would be a reasonably close, warm weather locale with a diverse (at least, relative to Asian ethnicities) population to support various teams and drum up interest.

--Coming back to the present, the Global World Series should be no longer than 3 games. After playing 150/162/whatever games and a full play-off run, teams aren't going to be operating at full strength and full speed (at least, not at first. Perhaps one day the Global Wolrd Series would be considered the MAIN world series, with the MLB Series simply part of the play-off run to get there, but in the meantime the GWS, like the WBC, will be second fiddle for some time to come). Best of three, either all in Hawaii; or two in one location, then final game in another, decided by best record/flip of a coin/alternating years.

I hope this happens.

DontHateOnNumber2
01-08-10, 08:53 AM
A Global World Series is an interesting concept to me, but as mentioned before, I don't enjoy the idea of putting players out there who have already gone through the regular season and the playoffs. I'm satisfied with the World Baseball Classic.

BRNXBMRS
01-08-10, 08:54 AM
I really cant stand the whole "global" thing. By the time the WS ends now the NFL is in full swing & Thanksgiving is right around the corner. If the global WS is played in April the season starts later, & since the networks run the postseason will the global WS be played on Thanksgiving? Waste of time.

BronxYanks45
01-08-10, 12:55 PM
a few options I can think of:

-make the global series the first week of the mlb season, but make it such that the MLB WS winner play the NPB winner in a 3 game set while rest of league continues reg season. only problem is previous yrs champs will either play 3 more or 3 less games.

-make the WBC teams the winners from the previous years championships (WS champs from US play Korean world champs etc..)

-Hawaii is the most logical location for this to be held.

I like the concept (either a 1 or 3 game series) but unless major changes are made to the MLB season (allow for additional break to play this game, fewer games less exhibition etc..) or concessions made by players to play before or after a season this might not be as easy.

Also, it makes sense to do it at the end of the season so the championship roster is intact before free agency, but by then football will have taken full swing

jughead
01-08-10, 10:19 PM
I'd kind of rather see a Japan vs. US All-Star game. Get rid of the NL-AL one and let's have that instead. Home field can be decided by record.

MooseDaGun
01-08-10, 10:31 PM
Maybe as an exhibition series the way the Yankees did a few years back, between ST and the start of the regular season, but definitely not after the season.

The MLB World Series is the "real" World Series because 98% or so of the best players in the world are in the MLB.

K-W
01-08-10, 11:51 PM
I would rather see something like this, or more realistically an all star game that included Japan and possibly other solid international leagues than the fake Olympics of the WBC. The more I think about it though none of this is realistic. The WBC is probably the best we will get.

MLB fought hard to make itself the only "major" league in the world of baseball. I can't see them ever doing anything that even suggests Japan has one too.