PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer, the greatest catcher of All-time?

azzurribaggio
01-07-10, 01:59 AM
Well if he continues at this pace and will only get better and has a nice long injury free career, I think we're witnessing the Michael Jordan of catchers...a lot of IFs there but he's on track.
Piazza is the greatest offensive catcher, pudge is one of the all time top defensive catchers and his offense wasn't so bad as well.
Mauer is now hitting with power and his average is at "stud" level. His defense seems solid as well, we all remember that play against "Gardy" at home plate...that's baseball reel material there.

What do *YOU* think:D

Rocketman
01-07-10, 02:09 AM
Well if he continues at this pace and will only get better and has a nice long injury free career, I think we're witnessing the Michael Jordan of catchers...a lot of IFs there but he's on track.
Piazza is the greatest offensive catcher, pudge is one of the all time top defensive catchers and his offense wasn't so bad as well.
Mauer is now hitting with power and his average is at "stud" level. His defense seems solid as well, we all remember that play against "Gardy" at home plate...that's baseball reel material there.

What do *YOU* think:D

You forget how good Johnny Bench was. The game was different back then, but Bench TWICE hit 40+ HR while playing the best defensive catcher in MLB history. Yogi Berra won 3 MVPs and 10 WS rings.

azzurribaggio
01-07-10, 02:36 AM
You forget how good Johnny Bench was. The game was different back then, but Bench TWICE hit 40+ HR while playing the best defensive catcher in MLB history. Yogi Berra won 3 MVPs and 10 WS rings.

I didn't forget about guys like Bench and Berra..what I'm saying is when it's all said and done is Mauer going to eclipse those guys? He's only been in the league for 6 years and he's done a lot already and his upside potential is off the charts.

nnysiny
01-07-10, 06:13 AM
Mauer is already on the short list but its too early to compare him to guys who have played 15+ years

BillBuckner
01-07-10, 06:17 AM
Probably the greatest of our time, but he has a lot to do if he wants to surpass Bench and Berra. I doubt it.

yankeebot
01-07-10, 07:09 AM
Too soon.

NYYDragoon
01-07-10, 07:50 AM
I think he needs to have a full career first.

BRNXBMRS
01-07-10, 08:19 AM
Too soon, a lot can happen (injuries etc)

Zimmer's Helmet
01-07-10, 09:20 AM
From a hitting standpoint, he's already done things no other catcher has ever done.

If he can sustain this type of production for another 3-4 years, I don't think there will be much question that he will be considered the greatest catcher ever.

THEBOSS84
01-07-10, 09:23 AM
Talk about premature...

teknetic
01-07-10, 09:43 AM
Talk about premature...

That's what he said.

Mark19
01-07-10, 09:44 AM
Naw, just wait until he tests positive for Performance Enhancing Sideburns

Sixty one
01-07-10, 10:03 AM
He certainly has the potential to be the best. However, playing in Minnesota doesn't get you the publicity that playing on a constant winner like Bench did in Cincy and Yogi in NY could hurt. Also, the Twins will have to constantly find someone in the lineup to protect him over the next few years. He is , of course, tremendous at this time and hopefully he stays healthy in that most difficult of positions...catcher.

Curmudgeon
01-07-10, 10:19 AM
Defensively, Pudge Rodriguez was the best catcher I've ever seen, and I'm old enbough to have seen Berra, Bench and the other guys mentionned so far.

Bill Dickey also needs to be in the discussion of baseball's best catchers. I never saw him in person, but look at the numbers.

Poeman
01-07-10, 12:23 PM
I dunno about the greatest...But I would trade anyone on the Yankees to get Joe Mauer here.

Bonafide Hall of Famer in the future

BronxYanks45
01-07-10, 12:57 PM
Too soon.

exactly, he hasnt been injuried yet. he's a damn good catcher and the games top right now, but too soon to say best of all time

VanHalen5150
01-07-10, 01:17 PM
Mike Piazza had the best season of any catcher when he posted an OPS+ of 185 in 1997. Until Joe Mauer puts up a few Piazza monster years, than Piazza is still number 1 in my book.

Curmudgeon
01-07-10, 03:57 PM
Mike Piazza had the best season of any catcher when he posted an OPS+ of 185 in 1997. Until Joe Mauer puts up a few Piazza monster years, than Piazza is still number 1 in my book.

Piazza was not a good defensive catcher. Dickey, Bench and Rodriguez were, and Maurer is.

Carbon Fiber
01-07-10, 03:59 PM
exactly, he hasnt been injuried yet.

He was injured at the beginning of last season.

eaganmafia
01-07-10, 04:50 PM

There's more to being a catcher then just hitting the ball.

exactly, he hasnt been injuried yet. he's a damn good catcher and the games top right now, but too soon to say best of all time

He missed the entire 2004 season to injury, 2007 he was banged up the whole season and he missed the first month of 2009 to injury.

sweet_lou_14
01-08-10, 08:09 AM
Talk about premature...

I know, right?

Besides, it's already established that Jesus Montero is the greatest catcher of all time.

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-08-10, 09:37 AM
I know, right?

Besides, it's already established that Jesus Montero is the greatest <strike>catcher</strike> player of all time.
Fixed that for you.

azzurribaggio
01-10-10, 05:11 AM
Ok...How about Rick Cerone?

delv
01-10-10, 04:06 PM
He's already on the videogame box of MLB The Show 09. How can he not be the greatest?

mjdlight
01-11-10, 08:18 AM
No discussion of the greatest catchers of all time can exclude Berra and Bench.

PuffNettles9
01-13-10, 08:49 AM
Mauer is lazy...he doesnt back up infield throws to first base...while #20 does get up from his squat and makes an effort to run down the first base line.

flymick24
01-13-10, 09:16 AM
Talk about premature...

are we still talking about joe mauer here? or are you revealing the stuff i confided in you the other day?

THEBOSS84
01-13-10, 09:17 AM
are we still talking about joe mauer here? or are you revealing the stuff i confided in you the other day?

The people have a right to know.

flymick24
01-13-10, 09:19 AM
it just happened again, right now, thanks...