PDA

View Full Version : 2009 MLB.com Defensive Player of the Year: Jacoby Ellsbury

Snatch Catch
12-19-09, 01:05 PM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091216&content_id=7819510&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Backed by his blazing speed, Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury had no problem diving onto the warning-track dirt or into a patch of grass to make a highlight-reel catch.

Though he is known best for his basestealing ability -- particularly when he stole home in April against the Yankees -- Ellsbury's glove-work in center got him enough notice to be selected as the Defensive Player of the Year in MLB.com's annual This Year in Baseball Awards.

Steve Dalkowski
12-19-09, 01:13 PM
It's nothing new that these awards are a joke. That said, Ellsbury regressed substantially in '09 after an '08 that was by most accounts very good defensively. His speed it obviously tremendous, which allows him to make the highlight reel catches...after he gets a horrible jump on the ball off the bat, oftentimes starting in the exact opposite direction.

Also considering his arm is Damon-esque, unless the Sox can fix whatever his problem was last year they should begin '10 with Jacoby in left and Cameron in center.

Yankee Fan in Boston
12-19-09, 01:14 PM
It's nothing new that these awards are a joke. That said, Ellsbury regressed substantially in '09 after an '08 that was by most accounts very good defensively. His speed it obviously tremendous, which allows him to make the highlight reel catches...after he gets a horrible jump on the ball off the bat, oftentimes starting in the exact opposite direction.

Also considering his arm is Damon-esque, unless the Sox can fix whatever his problem was last year they should begin '10 with Jacoby in left and Cameron in center.

I was just going to say that I've heard a lot of speculation that Cameron would play CF this year because he is a better fielder (if Ellsbury doesn't get traded, of course). What a joke.

DEADSOX
12-19-09, 01:17 PM
heh... http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=0&season=2009&month=0

Zimmer's Helmet
12-19-09, 01:25 PM
How is Ellsbury "Defensive Player of the Year" when he wasn't even chosen as one of the top 3 defensive OF in the AL?

LOL @ this award. What a farce...

yankeebot
12-19-09, 01:27 PM
Was Eric Van behind this? :thatsodd:

Snatch Catch
12-19-09, 01:27 PM

Terrible "that said" employment. That said, it would have been good if this wasn't 2009 defensive POY.

CallOfTheCrow
12-19-09, 01:28 PM
Everyone must have been watching when he stole home so he deserved it.

Steve Dalkowski
12-19-09, 01:34 PM
Terrible "that said" employment. That said, it would have been good if this wasn't 2009 defensive POY.The comment was used more to mean, "These awards are a joke so why devote a thread to them. That said, I will take the opportunity to give a few brief thoughts on Ellsbury's defense," than to provide any support for the award.

Bronson'sCornrows
12-19-09, 01:36 PM
You have no idea how much I ................ing love this. Ellsbury is already overrated, this just adds more trade value to his name that he doesn't yet deserve. I'm not saying he won't learn to draw walks or hit for a little power or fix his defense (as noted, he was actually good before '09), and he could definitely turn out to be a very good player. In the here and now, however, I want to get rid of him while his CURRENT value is still ridiculously inflated.

Bronson'sCornrows
12-19-09, 01:40 PM
The comment was used more to mean, "These awards are a joke so why devote a thread to them. That said, I will take the opportunity to give a few brief thoughts on Ellsbury's defense," than to provide any support for the award.He was just playing off your quote to joke around about the ridiculousness of the situation, it wasn't an actual critique of your use of the phrase "that said". Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Steve Dalkowski
12-19-09, 01:41 PM
He was just playing off your quote to joke around about the ridiculousness of the situation, it wasn't an actual critique of your use of the phrase "that said". Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course.Looking back I can't believe I didn't say "having said that" rather than "that said." Terrible use indeed.

Mark19
12-19-09, 02:19 PM
It was voted on by the fans, of course there are going to be some questionable results.

Speaking of laughable, did you guys hear about Schilling's prediction that Youkilis could win a Gold Glove at 3B next season if he moves there full time?

NYYDragoon
12-19-09, 02:59 PM
Everyone must have been watching when he stole home so he deserved it.Let him have home; we have a trophy.

Lord Jacoby dives a lot because he takes bad routes. That's not a plus. Silly award.

delv
12-19-09, 03:15 PM
He wasn't good enough in CF to win the GG but he wins best defensive player in ALL OF BASEBALL? wtf. lol

JeffWeaverFan
12-19-09, 03:26 PM
Hopefully this makes the Sox keep him in CF while putting the superior defensive Cameron in LF.

Steve Dalkowski
12-19-09, 03:31 PM
He wasn't good enough in CF to win the GG but he wins best defensive player in ALL OF BASEBALL? wtf. lolI don't think that's the line of reasoning you want to take.

delv
12-19-09, 04:03 PM
I don't think that's the line of reasoning you want to take.

UZR, GG, common sense, Tango Fan's fielding, use whatever you want. any line of reasoning is superior to no reasoning.

I'm A Wenner!
12-19-09, 11:45 PM
This brings the lulz.

pleasepassthesoup
12-20-09, 11:25 AM
Next year, Matsui will win this award.

yankee82093
12-20-09, 12:06 PM

I have my money on Adam Dunn.

In Mo I Trust
12-20-09, 12:09 PM
Is there a more overrated player in baseball?

I'm A Wenner!
12-20-09, 09:46 PM

Rafael Palmeiro.

teknetic
12-24-09, 08:14 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091221&content_id=7837290&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Jacoby's steal of home plate = moment of the year :lol:

CoyoteYankee
12-24-09, 08:36 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091221&content_id=7837290&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I hope that every year the highlight of the Red Sox season comes on April 26.

Carbon Fiber
12-24-09, 02:44 PM

From the article:

There were so many times Jacoby Ellsbury found himself on third base, took his secondary lead and thought to himself, "I can make it. I know I can."

:barf:

I wish we would trade him. I can't bear to see (a) a mediocre defensive player get accolades so fans/management will want him patrolling CF and (b) a guy who gets on base like Shea Hillenbrand (i.e. good BA, not good enough OBP)...

yanke26
12-24-09, 03:20 PM
Is there a more overrated player in baseball?

Give Kelly some time.

NYYDragoon
12-24-09, 03:32 PM

I'm happy that moment amounted to nothing but a quick elimination from the playoffs. Looks like we get the final laugh.

rpbri2886
12-24-09, 09:06 PM
Two points:

How can the moment of the year be an event that had absolutely no bearing on the final outcome of the season? The Sox went on to lose 8 out of the last 9 to the Yankees this season, and blow their division lead. Why can't the moment of the year be A-Rod's game tying homer off of Joe Nathan?

Also, Ellsbury winning Defensive Player of the Year is nearly akin to Palmeiro winning the GG over Tino.

NYYDragoon
12-24-09, 10:49 PM
How can the moment of the year be an event that had absolutely no bearing on the final outcome of the season? The Sox went on to lose 8 out of the last 9 to the Yankees this season, and blow their division lead. Why can't the moment of the year be A-Rod's game tying homer off of Joe Nathan?
I don't think that's a fair criteria for moment of the year. For example, Mark Buehrle's perfect game was pretty epic even though the Chisox wouldn't win their division. But Ellsbury stealing home...not only was it a single event in a regular season game, but guys have stolen home before. Come on now. The only reason anyone cared was because it was Yanks-Sox.

Miss Yvonne
12-24-09, 11:25 PM
To be fair, the Ellsbury steal appears to be just one of the 9 season highlights featured on MLB.com. But, after having watched MLB Network's rundowns of the best games and moments of the season, it really doesn't qualify for that either.

The Little Engine That Could opening mentioned earlier and theme throughout the article makes it just about worth the selection, though.

"I can make it. I know I can." :lol:

kan_t
12-25-09, 03:23 AM
No surprise. Those awards always get the wrong one, just like Jeter winning this year Hank Aaron Award. I'm just glad that this year MVP and Cy Young have not been messed up.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
12-28-09, 12:19 AM
im so sick of watching Ellsbury get these "web gems" every night. Every jump he gets off the bat is horrible. Every time hes sliding, hes had the ball in his glove for 3 seconds, and most of the time hes just stumbling and losing his balance anyways. His catches are a joke.

philleotardo
12-28-09, 06:48 AM
It was voted on by the fans, of course there are going to be some questionable results.

If you think that's bad, I can't wait until they start voting for the Football Hall of Fame, an honor that actually has meaning (or did).

Speaking of laughable, did you guys hear about Schilling's prediction that Youkilis could win a Gold Glove at 3B next season if he moves there full time?I try not to put myself in positions where I would hear his opinion on anything.

Micky Rivers's Bat
12-29-09, 10:32 AM
Franklin Gutierrez should have won it.

Peanut
12-30-09, 06:54 PM
Great....this will probably only encourage more "Ellsbury for David Wright" trade ideas from Red Sox fans.

Steve Dalkowski
12-30-09, 07:11 PM
Great....this will probably only encourage more "Ellsbury for David Wright" trade ideas from Red Sox fans.
Wait what? That's a fantastic idea. I hadn't heard of it.

Peanut
12-30-09, 10:20 PM
Wait what? That's a fantastic idea. I hadn't heard of it.

Haha...a fantasically one-sided idea.

MassNYYfan
12-30-09, 10:28 PM

Mets are gonna have to do better than that.

kan_t
12-30-09, 11:56 PM
I seriously think that Omar will get killed if he did that.

SODM
01-01-10, 07:00 PM
You have no idea how much I ................ing love this. Ellsbury is already overrated, this just adds more trade value to his name that he doesn't yet deserve. I'm not saying he won't learn to draw walks or hit for a little power or fix his defense (as noted, he was actually good before '09), and he could definitely turn out to be a very good player. In the here and now, however, I want to get rid of him while his CURRENT value is still ridiculously inflated.

Have you considered the fact that major league front offices (like the ones that employ scouts and smart businessmen with fancy Ivy League backgrounds) could be a couple steps ahead of the general sports watching population in rating player value (and maybe, just maybe, might even have the jump on a few baseball intellects on a message board who are "in the know")?

teknetic
01-01-10, 10:44 PM
Have you considered the fact that major league front offices (like the ones that employ scouts and smart businessmen with fancy Ivy League backgrounds) could be a couple steps ahead of the general sports watching population in rating player value (and maybe, just maybe, might even have the jump on a few baseball intellects on a message board who are "in the know")?

What does this have anything to do with Ellsbury being a poor defender and hitter?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

yankeebot
01-01-10, 10:54 PM
What does this have anything to do with Ellsbury being a poor defender and hitter?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"> Reading the post he was responding to, I think he means that while he might be overrated by some fans and some mediots and that they may perceive his value to be inflated, major league front offices might be a little smarter than that and see him for what he is.

ThePinStripes
01-02-10, 02:35 AM
Two points:

Also, Ellsbury winning Defensive Player of the Year is nearly akin to Palmeiro winning the GG over Tino.

Or the first pitch A-rod sees = homerun.

Miss Yvonne
01-02-10, 09:47 AM
Or the first pitch A-rod sees = homerun.

CC Sabathia said that was his play of the year, and I'm not going to argue with the big man. :)

I'm A Wenner!
01-05-10, 06:48 PM
Such a good defensive CFer that they're moving him to LF. Way to go, MLB.com!

The Q Bomb
01-05-10, 09:21 PM
The only award that has any meaning in MLB is The World Series trophy - it's not subjective. The other "awards" voted on by the dimwits in MLB or the almost equally dimitted baseball media are indeed almost always jokes.

sweet_lou_14
01-05-10, 10:20 PM
Why are they limiting the award to just defense, just 2009, or even just baseball?

I thought it was obvious that Jacoby Ellsbury is the Greatest Human Being of All Time.

DaSh 1s
01-05-10, 10:26 PM
Bow down, before thee.

The Letters of Jacoby 3:14

kan_t
01-05-10, 11:17 PM
Such a good defensive CFer that they're moving him to LF. Way to go, MLB.com!
He is so great that the Sox want to put him in the LF. So he can join the Sox LF legends group. This move makes Ted Williams smile in the heaven. ;)

Hooligan Tavarez
01-06-10, 12:45 AM
Ichiro is a RF and Lynn was a CF. Ellsbury just wants to be the first LF to win the Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same year and then he'll move to whatever position he sees fit and do it there as well.

Bronson'sCornrows
01-06-10, 10:56 AM
Have you considered the fact that major league front offices (like the ones that employ scouts and smart businessmen with fancy Ivy League backgrounds) could be a couple steps ahead of the general sports watching population in rating player value (and maybe, just maybe, might even have the jump on a few baseball intellects on a message board who are "in the know")?As sweet of you as it is to jump on the defensive on behalf of those brilliant, Ivy League, cognitive wizards (I'm sure they really appreciate it!), I'm afraid I hadn't considered that. I hadn't, and I can't... not as long as guys like Juan Pierre, Carl Pavano, and Daniel Cabrera are still playing Major League Baseball.

The best guys in baseball make mistakes and the best minds in baseball invest in fallacies and specious reasoning. These guys are influenced by the media whether you'd prefer to believe it or not. Whether these guys are smarter than some of we forum geeks is completely irrelevant. They can and will keep making stupid mistakes that the rest of us can and do see coming.