PDA

View Full Version : Matsui joins Angels for 1 Year $6.5MM

dadrumma
12-14-09, 08:29 PM
Source confirms NY Times report: Hideki Matsui is indeed an Angel on a one-year deal worth about $6.5 million.

Mark Feinsand
I have to admit I'm kinda surprised and a little upset. Im sad to see Matsui go. Thanks for the great years Matsui, glad you a got a ring!

BobLoblaw
12-14-09, 08:41 PM
I hope they do the ring ceremony on Opening Day at the Stadium so he'll be there

junkman73
12-14-09, 09:13 PM
best of luck Hideki...except when you play the Yankees.

-tz
12-14-09, 09:14 PM
Farewell, Godzilla! :-bye-:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8669/godzillajpg.jpg

PricedOut
12-14-09, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I knew he would be gone.

But he was and is a class act.

let's wish him the best.

BTW, IMHO this does not increase likelihood of Damon returning.

Damon will not be Yankees DH.

NYYDragoon
12-14-09, 11:11 PM
This is the only move of the day that gets to me. Sigh. Wish he could have gone to an NL team...

Loved you on the Yanks, Matsui, but I wish you never hit a HR at the Stadium again. But keep mashing at Fenway!

Steve Dalkowski
12-14-09, 11:17 PM
With Matsui's "hobbies" I'm surprised he didn't sign in LA to begin with. He's going to be like a kid in a candy store out there.

But in all honesty I'm glad to see him out of NY. Hope he can stay healthy for LAA.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
12-14-09, 11:18 PM
I'm so upset right now, and angry at Cashman. We lost Matsui for $6.5 million!?

GeorgeCostanza85
12-15-09, 12:33 AM

I am so pissed off right now.

Jeter Kid
12-15-09, 12:56 AM
Kind of shocked he signed for 6.5 mil.. I hope Cashman had an offer for him before hand..

Gigi Buffon
12-15-09, 06:32 AM

Not sure what Cash was thinking on this one. Unfortunately he's chosen Damon over Matsui.

35Knucklecurve
12-15-09, 09:24 AM
I was really hoping something could be worked out to keep him in NY for one more year and finding out how "little" it took to sign him makes it even tougher to take....the Angels for cryin' out loud. At least he got that ring and WS MVP - if you've got to go, Godzilla, you sure went out in style.

Thanks for being the best-dressed rookie ever on Hazing Day. :lol:

junkman73
12-15-09, 09:27 AM
Advantage Damon?

BronxYanks45
12-15-09, 09:46 AM
I cant believe the Yankees could agree to match or better that 1yr/$6.5????

Now the advantage goes to <s>Damon</s> Boras to squeeze out more money from the Yankees. This is sad. If we didnt land Damon, Matsui would have been the perfect DH, and just keep Melky/Gardner/Hoffman in LF

sad day for Yankees fans, I wish him well in LAA, just not against the Yankees

swityak11
12-15-09, 10:36 AM
Not sure what Cashman is thinking here either. Matsui signs for a no-risk dirt cheap 1/6.5m contract while Cash and Damon are playing pattycake over multiple years at a higher salary.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
12-15-09, 11:29 AM
I really don't think I'm going to be able to stomach seeing him in an Angels uni.

Yes, it's that serious.

SecretChiSoxFan
12-15-09, 12:59 PM
I really thought the White Sox had a chance, rats! On to Plan B: Juan Pierre.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-15-09, 02:42 PM
Good luck to him. Thanks for some great memories Godzilla.

CoyoteYankee
12-15-09, 03:12 PM
I'm really going to miss Matsui. I think seeing Matsui in an Angels uniform will be really unsettling.

StatenIslandYankee
12-15-09, 03:24 PM
6.5m ....
............... ..... .. . ..............

ShaneTravis
12-15-09, 04:13 PM
Does this seem really cheap in years and dollars?

Is there something about his knees that would prevent the Yanks from bidding?

Ram Man
12-15-09, 04:31 PM
I hope Matsui gets a long, standing ovation when he comes to bat on Opening Day at Yankee Stadium next season. And then strikes out.

swityak11
12-15-09, 04:54 PM
Does this seem really cheap in years and dollars?

Is there something about his knees that would prevent the Yanks from bidding?Abreu was really cheap in years and dollars as well. For some reason the Yankees like letting talent (albeit aging talent) go to the Angels for peanuts.

Waitinfor27
12-15-09, 05:54 PM
I think it's the same thing we've heard over and over: the Yanks want a DH that can play the field. Matsui can't do that. Vlad basically did the same thing Matsui did last year, so that makes Matsui a good fit for them.

Sad to see him go though.

Loved you on the Yanks, Matsui, but I wish you never hit a HR at the Stadium again. But keep mashing at Fenway!

He can hit another at the Stadium, but it has to be when the Yanks are up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-1 in the ninth inning.

Octoberbaby
12-16-09, 12:40 AM
Abreu was really cheap in years and dollars as well. For some reason the Yankees like letting talent (albeit aging talent) go to the Angels for peanuts.

Hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt!

This is definitely a tragedy and a travesty! :(

RhodyYanksFan
12-16-09, 02:07 PM
Man the Mariners missed out. They should have coughed up a little more to get Matsui. Between Hernandez and Lee, a ticket selling machine Matsui/Ichiro combo, and the Angels losing Figgins, Lackey and possibly Vlad, they would own the division.

GordonGecko
12-16-09, 03:22 PM
they would own the division.
The AL West is getting strong, poor Central, they're the retarded little cousins of the American League

BronxYanks45
12-16-09, 03:33 PM
I hope Matsui gets a long, standing ovation when he comes to bat on Opening Day at Yankee Stadium next season. And then strikes out.

same here

GordonGecko
12-16-09, 03:34 PM
same here
He can hit a home run or two as long as the Yankees win

GeorgeCostanza85
12-16-09, 04:00 PM
guys, i've been feeling sick about this ever since i read the news... matsui is my all time favorite baseball player... and he played for my all time favorite sports team. man o man, i really wanted him to end his career with the yanks... we couldve jsut signed him for 2-3 more years and let him retire in peace... ughhh

I'm A Wenner!
12-16-09, 05:21 PM
I'd rather the team get better than indulge your fancies.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-16-09, 06:11 PM
we couldve jsut signed him for 2-3 more years and let him retire in peace... ughhh
C'mon now.

gill2k
12-16-09, 08:09 PM
Noooooooo.... so long Godzilla! :(

You'll always be a Yankee hero to me.

Soriambi
12-17-09, 03:10 PM
I'm still pretty upset that we couldn't spend 6.5 million on Matsui, especially since Damon is a ton more expensive. The Angels are getting insane deals these past few years on our OFers. I'll miss Matsui as a Yankee. I hope he continues to have success, though not when it impacts us. It'll be weird playing against him. Even weirder than playing against most former Yanks for some reason I feel. He did a great job for the Yanks both on and off the field.

GordonGecko
12-17-09, 03:29 PM
plus he might have taken a discount. Anyone know if Japanese sponsors have cancelled on the Yankees?

I'm A Wenner!
12-17-09, 03:54 PM
I hope we sign Johnson. He's better.

Mark19
12-17-09, 03:56 PM
plus he might have taken a discount. Anyone know if Japanese sponsors have cancelled on the Yankees?

NPB Tracker claimed that the Yankees earned $15 million last season from Japanese corporations. I guess the Yanks figured that coming off of a championship season, there would be no shortage of companies willing to buy up those ad spaces or sponsorship opportunities.

35Knucklecurve
12-17-09, 04:00 PM
Man the Mariners missed out. They should have coughed up a little more to get Matsui. Between Hernandez and Lee, a ticket selling machine Matsui/Ichiro combo, and the Angels losing Figgins, Lackey and possibly Vlad, they would own the division.
I can't find it right now, but I remember reading that Matsui and Ichiro weren't too friendly. The article didn't mention why. :dunno:

Sixty one
12-17-09, 10:40 PM

I'm sure that he'll get the standing ovation, but I have a feeling that he will not strike out. He was a great yankee who always showed class and was a true professional hitter. Good luck to him except when he plays the Yanks.

justtxyank
12-18-09, 01:59 PM
I'm sure that he'll get the standing ovation, but I have a feeling that he will not strike out. He was a great yankee who always showed class and was a true professional hitter. Good luck to him except when he plays the Yanks.

I'm willing to bet you 100 dollars that he strikes out at least 1 time against the Yankees pitching next season.

yo_423
12-20-09, 10:55 AM
Now, in Japan, the program about Matsui is broadcast.
Matsui said like this,
"I loved Yankees. I loved my teammates. I loved NY. And, I loved NYYfans so much. so I was going to receive any offer from Yankees. But I could get nothing."
He sincerely hoped for remaining as yankee. I'm sad for him, but this is business. I think he and NYY made a right decision.

NYYxJx
12-20-09, 10:29 PM
Now, in Japan, the program about Matsui is broadcast.
Matsui said like this,
"I loved Yankees. I loved my teammates. I loved NY. And, I loved NYYfans so much. so I was going to receive any offer from Yankees. But I could get nothing."
He sincerely hoped for remaining as yankee. I'm sad for him, but this is business. I think he and NYY made a right decision.

Im sad about this whole situation and one side of me thinks letting him go was the right call, but I just have the feeling this is going to come back to hurt us some how.

-tz
12-20-09, 11:09 PM
Im sad about this whole situation and one side of me thinks letting him go was the right call, but I just have the feeling this is going to come back to hurt us some how.Every time we play the Angels. Thank goodness, at least Girardi doesn't have Coke anymore to send in against him.

I'm A Wenner!
12-21-09, 11:50 AM
I really hope his knees fall apart and he has a terrible year, just so everyone pouting on here can embarrass themselves pretending that they thought it was the right move all along.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-21-09, 12:07 PM
Stay classy San Diego.

Nth Man
12-21-09, 01:05 PM
I really hope his knees fall apart and he has a terrible year, just so everyone pouting on here can embarrass themselves pretending that they thought it was the right move all along.

Sounds like the same thing smart fans were saying about him last year as well.

Yankeeah
12-21-09, 01:20 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/did.you.see.that.1218/images/hideki-Matsui.85130819.jpg

Sooo...how weird does that look?

BobLoblaw
12-21-09, 02:08 PM
Sounds like the same thing smart fans were saying about him last year as well.

Not sure I'd call them "fans"

DaSh 1s
12-21-09, 02:09 PM
Wow, that is wierd

Nth Man
12-21-09, 02:22 PM
Not sure I'd call them "fans"

I wouldn't go that far. It's OK to make predictions that may not be favorable about players on a team you like.

It's just that they got it way wrong with Matsui last year. I think they're just sticking to what they thought would happen in 2009, so they can just say they were a year off.

It's possible that Matsui's injuries were wear and tear that was corrected by surgery, and won't happen again since he's DHing.

It's also possible that the Yankees got incredibly lucky last year with Matsui's health and that this year it might not be the same.

Either way, sad to see Matsui go, but Nick Johnson should score a ton of runs in the two spot, if he gets on base his usual 40%.

Micky Rivers's Bat
12-21-09, 05:13 PM
Although, it is a bummer to see him go, I think it end up being a smart move by Cashman.

ace
12-21-09, 06:13 PM
That Matsui picture is the weirdest, hardest to deal with picture since...

http://www.yesnetwork.com/images/2006/12/11/b3uQHtqo.jpg

Panamaniac42
12-21-09, 06:33 PM
That's like the first time I saw John Starks in a Warriors uniform. Blech.

I think we made the right move but that is tough to look at.

GeorgeCostanza85
12-23-09, 12:40 PM

Shame on you for hoping that on a player that helped your team win a world series.

35Knucklecurve
12-23-09, 09:03 PM
That Matsui picture is the weirdest, hardest to deal with picture since...

http://www.yesnetwork.com/images/2006/12/11/b3uQHtqo.jpg
Yep, I'd say it's a photo finish....except for the fact that Andy came back.

From WS MVP to thunder sticks and the rally monkey......

Oh no...they say he's got to go..... go, go Godzilla. :(

I'm A Wenner!
12-23-09, 09:43 PM
Shame on you for hoping that on a player that helped your team win a world series.

He received over $13 million for his role on the team last year. And Shame on me? Are you my grandmother?

DaSh 1s
12-23-09, 11:58 PM
He received over $13 million for his role on the team last year. And Shame on me? Are you my grandmother?

What does money have anything to do with wishing harm/misery on a individual? It was Matsui's fault that the Yankees didn't give him a contract? Stop acting like a clown, as if there was no fault in your comment.

teknetic
12-24-09, 12:01 AM

...and that somehow warrants you to wish injury upon him?

Weirdo.

mjdlight
12-24-09, 08:44 AM

Matsui was nothing but a class act his entire tenure as a Yankee, and won a World Series MVP on the way out the door. Matsui would have probably taken a 50 percent pay cut to stay on the Yanks, but Cash decided to go in a different direction this year. Viewing Matsui as some kind of mercenary is ridiculous, and wishing injury upon him borders on a parody post/trolling. I'm sure he will get a well-deserved cheer in his first game back at YS.