PDA

View Full Version : john lackey to BO SOX! 5 year deal. confirmed.

PricedOut
12-14-09, 05:37 PM
not a rumor.
should make for an interesting season!

http://currentnewstrends.net/?p=11683

5 years 85 million

Will this start an ARMS WAR?

BxBomber44
12-14-09, 05:43 PM
i dont care, 5 years is too much. good for them.

joflo
12-14-09, 05:53 PM
Seventeen mil per anum. I wonder if this breaks their bankroll for Bay?

GordonGecko
12-14-09, 05:57 PM
haha, 5 years - way to lock yourselves in Sox. Boston seems to love paying a premium to collect the ugliest looking baseball players. Youkillis will be in good company

It bothers me like no other. I can't look at that man for 32 starts + postseason. I just can't.

http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/John%20Lackey.jpg

http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/Angels_Lackey.jpg

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
12-14-09, 05:57 PM
Yankees: Inside the Lines.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Curmudgeon
12-14-09, 06:18 PM
This is a very good move by the Sox. I wanted the Yankees to get Lackey.

brosiusbuddy
12-14-09, 06:19 PM
So if the Lowell trade works out then Boston is probably going to try to send Buttholz to SD for Gonzalez I guess.

GotMelk?
12-14-09, 06:32 PM
we need to counter with a hughes/romine/Z-Mac for josh johnson trade

yanksphan
12-14-09, 06:34 PM
And in other Yankee news - Halladay to the Phillies, Lee to the Ms and uh...oh wait...

Axon
12-14-09, 06:35 PM
Move this. Lackey could be a huge boon for them if Beckett can get back into straight killin' mode. But Lackey is not the best pitcher, he's just the best pitcher available this off-season. His stuff is more like 98-2000 Pettite than 98-2000 Pedro.

JohnnyDamonfan
12-14-09, 06:41 PM
I don't think this is really good news for us. Lackey on the Red Sox kinda scares me.

kan_t
12-14-09, 06:45 PM
I don't think this is really good news for us. Lackey on the Red Sox kinda scares me.
His face?

sjb23
12-14-09, 06:56 PM

I don't know what his career stats are against the Yanks, but it seems like he's about a .500 pitcher against them -- correct me if I'm wrong...

not too worrysome....

diehardyankeefan
12-14-09, 07:02 PM
Move this. Lackey could be a huge boon for them if Beckett can get back into straight killin' mode. But Lackey is not the best pitcher, he's just the best pitcher available this off-season. His stuff is more like 98-2000 Pettite than 98-2000 Pedro.
Does anyone in baseball have 1998-2000 Pedro stuff?

parkerstrong
12-14-09, 07:13 PM
haha, 5 years - way to lock yourselves in Sox. Boston seems to love paying a premium to collect the ugliest looking baseball players. Youkillis will be in good company

http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/John%20Lackey.jpg

Not so sure people were complaining about 5 years when we signed AJ....we are still with the same risk. I think it is a good deal for the Sox

Sox also offered 15.5 million for Chapman.....lets see how the Yanks respond

shadyridr
12-14-09, 07:15 PM
Its a better signing than the Yanks deal for AJ

coachtsurfing
12-14-09, 07:15 PM
it was a good sign for them. one we were interested in him. two he was the best pitcher on the market. three they didn't over pay that badly.

side note. i would have paid that much for him if i was cash.

kan_t
12-14-09, 07:16 PM
Its a better signing than the Yanks deal for AJ
How ?

RIYankeeFan
12-14-09, 07:18 PM

FREE CREDIT REPORT DOT COM!!

bcom33
12-14-09, 07:24 PM
How ?

Better pitcher for similar money.

However, we did win a world series after signing A.J. I doubt the Sawx pull that off with Lackey.

continentalg5
12-14-09, 07:28 PM
Wow, nice...gonna make for some absolutely GREAT games next season.

How injury prone is Lackey anyway?

kan_t
12-14-09, 07:42 PM

However, we did win a world series after signing A.J. I doubt the Sawx pull that off with Lackey.
He is also older. He is a fly ball pitcher. His stuff is declining. And he is not as durable as AJ last 2 years.

Since95
12-14-09, 07:43 PM
He fits in well with those ugly looking redsox players.. glad he's not on my HD tv

CyYoung4Vazquez
12-14-09, 07:47 PM
Shocking! The Red Sox sign a white guy!

Since95
12-14-09, 07:49 PM
Shocking! The Red Sox sign a white guy!

They bout to sign Cameron tho.. whateva thats worth...

Rocketbooster
12-14-09, 07:50 PM
Sucks - their rotation is way better than ours.

Rocketbooster
12-14-09, 07:51 PM
I don't know what his career stats are against the Yanks, but it seems like he's about a .500 pitcher against them -- correct me if I'm wrong...

not too worrysome....

He'll be pitching against other teams besides the Yankees - and he'll win a lot; he's good...there's no way to spin this as good news for the Yankees

NoWay
12-14-09, 07:55 PM
He is also older. He is a fly ball pitcher. His stuff is declining. And he is not as durable as AJ last 2 years.

Actually, AJ is 2 years older then Lackey. In 3 fewer years, Lackey has 2 more wins, 14 fewer losses, comparable WHIP and ERA.

This is a good signing by the Sox and really deepens their rotation, assuming health.

ny
12-14-09, 07:58 PM

"[Monday] night they scored on a broken-bat ground ball and a fly ball that anywhere else in America is an out, and he's [Pedroia] fist-pumping on second base like he did something great." -- 10.07.09, John Lackey on America's most beloved ballpark and second baseman

:lol:

JohnnyDamonfan
12-14-09, 08:03 PM
His face?

No, Papelbon, and Pedoria's face Scare me. That isn't the same kind of scared I was talking about.

kan_t
12-14-09, 08:10 PM
Actually, AJ is 2 years older then Lackey. In 3 fewer years, Lackey has 2 more wins, 14 fewer losses, comparable WHIP and ERA.

This is a good signing by the Sox and really deepens their rotation, assuming health.
Thanks for correcting me on the age part.

Do we really use wins and losses to say that Lackey is better? In most of AJ career he is in Jays and Marlins, while Lackey is in Angels which is a contender every years. I don't think AJ deal is a good deal. And I don't think this one is either.

Miss Yvonne
12-14-09, 08:12 PM
No, Papelbon, and Pedoria's face Scare me. That isn't the same kind of scared I was talking about.

I don't know...Lackey has a hell of an underbite.

Nothing a giant goatee won't fix, though.

NoWay
12-14-09, 08:27 PM
Thanks for correcting me on the age part.

Do we really use wins and losses to say that Lackey is better? In most of AJ career he is in Jays and Marlins, while Lackey is in Angels which is a contender every years. I don't think AJ deal is a good deal. And I don't think this one is either.

their numbers are comparable across the board (WHIP, K/BB ratio, ERA, IP, etc...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't AJ on the '03 Marlins? Seem to remember that team being pretty good.:eek:

Toronto has put together some pretty decent teams the last few years as well, they were just cursed with being in the AL East.

JavyVazquezIsSick
12-14-09, 08:27 PM
Wrong forum.

ArodEra
12-14-09, 08:29 PM
FREE CREDIT REPORT DOT COM!!

:clap::clap::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

kan_t
12-14-09, 08:39 PM
their numbers are comparable across the board (WHIP, K/BB ratio, ERA, IP, etc...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't AJ on the '03 Marlins? Seem to remember that team being pretty good.:eek:

Toronto has put together some pretty decent teams the last few years as well, they were just cursed with being in the AL East.
Do you really want to compare the Angels and the Jays or Marlins?

NJYankFan328
12-14-09, 09:43 PM

Yea but you have to admit, Lackey is much better #2 than AJ bc he is simply more consistent (considering he is the #2 behind Lester)

NyQuil
12-14-09, 09:54 PM
Poor John Henry can't compete with the Yankees.

LuisTiant
12-14-09, 09:58 PM
Yea but you have to admit, Lackey is much better #2 than AJ bc he is simply more consistent (considering he is the #2 behind Lester)

Maybe he's the #2. But maybe he's the #3 behind Beckett. Either way, that's a pretty good 1-2-3 combo.

If they keep Buchholz and he stays at his late 2009 form, that's a pretty good 1-4.

And then Matsuzaka is their #5. Hopefully, he'll keep being the DiceK of 2009 and not the 2008 DiceK or the WBC DiceK.

junkman73
12-14-09, 10:04 PM
good signing but probably 2 years longer than i would have gone...should be interesting seeing him pitch in Fenway, Camden, and NYS.

what's up doc?
12-15-09, 02:17 AM
This reminds me of the Santana offseason, two years ago. The debate raged over those that felt you couldn't pass up the chance at acquiring a Santana, regardless of the cost in terms of dollars and prospects. Others felt that in the overall scheme, the Yankees were better off developing the best the farm system had to offer and saving the money for the next offseason where a CC Sabathia could be signed to a big financial commitment without the additional cost of top young talent.

The Yankee's uncharacteristic patience was rewarded. I'm glad Lackey and Halliday are off the board. There is a potential bumper crop of SP in next years FA class that will be far better investments than Lackey and can be obtained without mortaging a big chunk of the future along with the capital investment that was needed to net Halliday.

As for keeping up with Boston for the upcoming season, Bedard and/or Sheets will due. At their best, both are better than Lackey. Sign them both and there is an excellent chance at getting 1/2 seasons worth of a No.2 type starter from both. And it could be an audition for a longterm deal to replace Pettitte. There is a strong incentive for both sides.

Yankees13
12-15-09, 02:49 AM
Ugly white dude signs for Red Sox. In other news, the sky is blue.

BronxYanks45
12-15-09, 09:54 AM
This means Sox probably wont get Bay, and if the Sox roster stays as is (which I highly doubt) I still think the yankees have a huge advantage over them.

Loosing Bay and Lowell are two big bats

b-ball-lunachick
12-15-09, 09:58 AM
So now they have Gaping Mouth Syndrom Lackey to go with the big O mouth Papelbon. :D

swityak11
12-15-09, 10:10 AM
Both his and AJ's contracts are ridiculous. Given the choice, however, I'd prefer Lackey over Burnett. I think he's a better, more consistently "good" pitcher. AJ will start more games though.

Mezmerize
12-15-09, 10:19 AM
(snip)
As for keeping up with Boston for the upcoming season, Bedard and/or Sheets will due. At their best, both are better than Lackey. Sign them both and there is an excellent chance at getting 1/2 seasons worth of a No.2 type starter from both. And it could be an audition for a longterm deal to replace Pettitte. There is a strong incentive for both sides.

I had to point this out. A Yankee fan claiming that two reclamation projects are better investments than AJ Burnett's long lost, extremely ugly brother. Substitute Smoltz for Bedard and Penny for Sheets and you have the 2008 Red Sox off-season that certain posters are still discussing. Well done. This one doesn't even need me to provide a punchline.

Rice14
12-15-09, 10:24 AM
Both his and AJ's contracts are ridiculous. Given the choice, however, I'd prefer Lackey over Burnett. I think he's a better, more consistently "good" pitcher. AJ will start more games though.

When you think about it though, those contracts are about 75 of what Sabathia or Santana make, or what Cliff Lee is looking for next year. I think the price for quality starting pitching has simply gone up. I think John Lackey making 75% of what Sabathia makes is about right.

Let's face it, the money all these guys make is ridiculous, but better they get it than the owners keep it.

GordonGecko
12-15-09, 10:28 AM
When you think about it though, those contracts are about 75 of what Sabathia or Santana make, or what Cliff Lee is looking for next year. I think the price for quality starting pitching has simply gone up. I think John Lackey making 75% of what Sabathia makes is about right.

Let's face it, the money all these guys make is ridiculous, but better they get it than the owners keep it.
Well I don't necessarily agree with "better the players get it", I'd rather we (the fans) have to pay less overall. But if the money is there then it only makes sense (and fair) that it be spent like the Yankees do every year. But you have to think that there's going to be a point where everyone's budget is maxed out.

Look at all these massive long term contracts that eat up a big chunk of the payroll. Just a few years ago 20M contracts were freaks of nature and now they're the going rate for top talent. When does the money run out?

Rice14
12-15-09, 10:32 AM
Well I don't necessarily agree with "better the players get it", I'd rather we (the fans) have to pay less overall. But if the money is there then it only makes sense (and fair) that it be spent like the Yankees do every year. But you have to think that there's going to be a point where everyone's budget is maxed out.

Look at all these massive long term contracts that eat up a big chunk of the payroll. Just a few years ago 20M contracts were freaks of nature and now they're the going rate for top talent. When does the money run out?

It would be great if everybody rolled back on salaries and the savings went to the fans but I don't see that happening.

As long as the revenues remain where they are, so too will the salaries.

PricedOut
12-15-09, 10:55 AM
When does the money run out?

1- When Fox and Espn stop paying crazy money for the rights.
2-When teams in major media markets stop getting huge $$$ for regular season local broadcast rights.
3- When we stop paying crazy prices for tickets.

In other words never.

GordonGecko
12-15-09, 11:00 AM
1- When Fox and Espn stop paying crazy money for the rights.
2-When teams in major media markets stop getting huge $$$ for regular season local broadcast rights.
3- When we stop paying crazy prices for tickets.

In other words never.
Well that money isn't going to stop coming in, but can it keep pace with the rate of increase of MLB contracts? You have to imagine that owners have been making huge profits and every once in a while some of them decide to spend it

35Knucklecurve
12-15-09, 02:00 PM
It was pointed out this morning on Mike & Mike that Lackey's ERA at Fenway is over 6.0. I need a reason to smile right now. :P

Steve Dalkowski
12-15-09, 02:03 PM
It was pointed out this morning on Mike & Mike that Lackey's ERA at Fenway is over 6.0. I need a reason to smile right now. :P He's going to be screwed when he has to face the Sox at home this season.

SubwayFanatic
12-15-09, 02:04 PM
It was pointed out this morning on Mike & Mike that Lackey's ERA at Fenway is over 6.0. I need a reason to smile right now. :P

That is such a useless stat.

swityak11
12-15-09, 02:35 PM
It was pointed out this morning on Mike & Mike that Lackey's ERA at Fenway is over 6.0. I need a reason to smile right now. :P It's 4.44 over the past 3 years with a massive sample size of 26 innings. Also, he probably won't be pitching against the Red Sox.

jeterdaman
12-15-09, 04:43 PM
They're going to light him up if he ever pitches BP

sweet_lou_14
12-15-09, 06:43 PM
5:38pm Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says Lackey's deal is being held up due to language in the contract. The Red Sox want to protect themselves from a pre-existing "medical issue." Cafardo compares this situation to the Red Sox contract with JD Drew.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

Man, the Red Sox never seem to just make a deal. There's always some issue.

4bronxbombers
12-15-09, 06:44 PM
www.mlbtraderumors.com (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com)

Man, the Red Sox never seem to just make a deal. There's always some issue.

I hope it becomes a really big deal and it falls apart. :D

False1
12-15-09, 06:50 PM
LOL @ the Sox. I hope it falls apart and Lackey kicks Henry's a$$. The big giant muppet face demolishing the old bean bag.

Sam18
12-15-09, 06:54 PM
Would be pretty typical if the deal falls through and the Yankees sign him.

4bronxbombers
12-15-09, 07:01 PM
LOL @ the Sox. I hope it falls apart and Lackey kicks Henry's a$$. The big giant muppet face demolishing the old bean bag.

I'll take the GM muppet in a heartbeat. :D

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
12-16-09, 08:00 AM
Would be pretty typical if the deal falls through and the Yankees sign him.

See signature.

PricedOut
12-16-09, 11:49 PM
deal is 100% done.

But he did take a two and a half million dollar haircut aggregate over the 5 years.

However, even with those zits and leisons, I don't think he'd have any problem getting laid with only $82.5 million

Mezmerize
12-18-09, 04:19 PM
deal is 100% done.

But he did take a two and a half million dollar haircut aggregate over the 5 years.

However, even with those zits and leisons, I don't think he'd have any problem getting laid with only $82.5 million

No, he wouldn't. His wife:
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/dec09/BDD_KL_presser_121609.jpg

:eek:

kan_t
12-18-09, 06:11 PM

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Steve Dalkowski
12-18-09, 06:24 PM
He did good.

Rice14
12-18-09, 06:26 PM
He did good.

He certainly did.

Vin
12-18-09, 06:43 PM
Hotter than Madonna and Cynthia

mjdlight
12-19-09, 08:37 AM

Jesus God....why wasn't I born with MLB level pitching talent? Life is profoundly unfair.