PDA

View Full Version : Mike Scioscia & Jim Tracy named Managers of the Year

CallOfTheCrow
11-18-09, 02:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index?topId=4667436

DEADSOX
11-18-09, 02:30 PM
I'd rather seen Gardenhire or Wakamatsu win AL Manager. Didn't really see Scioscia do anything that special.

NYYDragoon
11-18-09, 02:36 PM
Should have been Gardy from the AL.

kan_t
11-18-09, 02:46 PM
I'd rather seen Gardenhire or Wakamatsu win AL Manager. Didn't really see Scioscia do anything that special.
Their rotation was a mess in the regular season.

My pick is Gardenhire, but it's hard to say that the voters blew this one up.

Eldee5
11-18-09, 03:47 PM
Joe Girardi got some votes too:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091115&content_id=7669428&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Twins' Ron Gardenhire finished second with six first-place votes and 72 points. Joe Girardi of the Yankees (four first-place votes) was third, followed by the Mariners' Don Wakamatsu (two), the Rangers' Ron Washington (one) and the Tigers' Jim Leyland.

JDPNYY
11-18-09, 03:53 PM

He wore that short sleeved windbreaker.

BronxYanks45
11-18-09, 03:56 PM
no love for Girardi

eaganmafia
11-18-09, 03:59 PM
no love for Girardi

I could manage this Yankee team to 100 win...

nnysiny
11-18-09, 04:13 PM
cool to see Girardi third

HelloNewman
11-18-09, 04:29 PM
Would have voted for Gardenhire and Tracy.

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-18-09, 04:31 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

pinstripesphanatic
11-18-09, 06:22 PM
Don't care about the NL, don't think Scioscia deserved it though.

ace
11-18-09, 06:32 PM
This is typically a stupid award.

Dave B
11-18-09, 07:11 PM
Keeping a team together after a death is not all that difficult. It's kind of a built in chemistry builder that happens regardless. And I bet half the team didn't even know the kid, since he was so young and new. No disrespect to him of course, but that's kind of a stupid reason to give the award to the guy. Just admit that he got it based on his rep, which is partly undeserved.

I think Gardenhire makes about ten times the bad decisions Joe does, so I can't exactly stump for him either. But it's no big deal. Awards like this aren't that meaningful. Championship trophies are, though.

JDPNYY
11-18-09, 07:33 PM
Keeping a team together after a death is not all that difficult. It's kind of a built in chemistry builder that happens regardless. And I bet half the team didn't even know the kid, since he was so young and new. No disrespect to him of course, but that's kind of a stupid reason to give the award to the guy. Just admit that he got it based on his rep, which is partly undeserved.

I think Gardenhire makes about ten times the bad decisions Joe does, so I can't exactly stump for him either. But it's no big deal. Awards like this aren't that meaningful. Championship trophies are, though.

Great points. Ultimately a Managers goal is to win a Championship. Only one Manager accomplishes that goal each year. Looks to me that Girardi should be the Manager of the Year.

junkman73
11-18-09, 08:25 PM
Scioscia did a nice job early on with some injuries and keeping them in shape to pull away in the second half. But the vote has to go to Gardenhire who got his team to the post season without periennial MVP candidate Justin Morneau out the line up for the stretch run.

In fact, if the Twins have Morneau, the Yankees might not sweep them and have CC ready for Game 1 vs LAA.

BRNXBMRS
11-18-09, 09:41 PM
How'd Gardenhire not get this? The man is amazing.

BroadwayBomber55
11-18-09, 09:52 PM
Ron Gardenhire should've got it.

Sure, Mike Scioscia and the L.A. Angels had to deal with the loss of Nick Adenhart, but they had the AL West division lead all summer long.

Meanwhile, the Twins had to fight to get in the playoffs.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-19-09, 01:49 AM
I'd rather be manger of the All-Star team.

kan_t
11-19-09, 02:05 AM
If you followed the Angels, you would know that their rotation was a mess in the whole season.

Dave B
11-19-09, 09:33 AM
If you followed the Angels, you would know that their rotation was a mess in the whole season.
OK, so why not cite that in the article... anywhere?

Journalists are dumb.

kan_t
11-19-09, 10:22 AM
OK, so why not cite that in the article... anywhere?

Journalists are dumb.
No disagreement here. 99% are.

pleasepassthesoup
11-19-09, 11:44 AM
Gardenhire is quickly becoming very overrated. I like him but I'm glad he didn't win the award. He took an average team and led them to an average season. There's nothing really special about that.

I hate Scioscia, but the Angels stayed afloat while basically their entire rotation missed the beginning of the year. Had the Rangers not collapsed so badly at the end, I would have wanted Ron Washington to win it, but I don't have a problem with Scioscia winning this year.

Eldee5
11-19-09, 12:26 PM
I'd rather be manger of the All-Star team.
:2thumbs:

Hooligan Tavarez
11-19-09, 01:00 PM
And I bet half the team didn't even know the kid, since he was so young and new. .This probably kind of undersells the relationships professional baseball players have. They spend every day together in February and March and with Adenhart being possibly the top pitching prospect in baseball the past couple of years he spent plenty of time in the Major League facility during Spring Training, not to mention the Angels surely had some players that came up with him.