PDA

View Full Version : Aroldis Chapman speaks

Rocketbooster
11-13-09, 02:00 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-chapmaninterview&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hmm, he already thinks he's a star judging by appearances.....

DiMaggio5CF
11-13-09, 02:12 PM
Never thought I'd see the phrase "all blinged out" in a news article when it wasn't a direct quote.

teknetic
11-13-09, 02:27 PM
Hmm, he already thinks he's a star judging by appearances.....

This isn't anything new.

The Q Bomb
11-13-09, 05:12 PM
He doesn't like the cold? He should have stayed in Cuba.

PinstripePride
11-13-09, 05:16 PM
Never thought I'd see the phrase "all blinged out" in a news article when it wasn't a direct quote.

Society is doomed.

Rocketbooster
11-13-09, 07:52 PM
He doesn't like the cold? He should have stayed in Cuba.

He should avoid NY or Boston - too bad those happen to be the teams with the most $$$. Chapman had better start getting used to the cold if he wants the cold hard cash.......

JohnnyDamonfan
11-14-09, 04:20 AM
Send him a couple warm coats gloves and a Knit cap hell even throw in some thermal shirts and Long Johns and get him to sign for the Yankees please.

ace
11-14-09, 10:34 AM
Send him a couple warm coats gloves and a Knit cap hell even throw in some thermal shirts and Long Johns and get him to sign for the Yankees please.

Or one of these?
http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3410793&cp=1452360.1452526.709991

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-14-09, 12:55 PM
How does he have the money to be "all blinged out?"

mrmike98
11-14-09, 01:09 PM
Pass, pass, pass, on him, please.

Don Wrigley
11-16-09, 11:33 AM
How does he have the money to be "all blinged out?"

Guys like him have no trouble getting loans. He probably also has insurance on his arm as collateral.

Once these guys get representation, they are taken care of...while the money from pitching isn't yet in his pocket, he already has plenty of money.

genius-24
11-21-09, 01:19 PM
Chapman fires his agent. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4677068)

DEADSOX
11-21-09, 05:26 PM
I already don't like this guy. I hope he gets his ass handed to him in the majors (while not playing for the Yankees).

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-21-09, 05:53 PM
I want this guy even less now.

Rocketbooster
11-21-09, 08:45 PM
I already don't like this guy. I hope he gets his ass handed to him in the majors (while not playing for the Yankees).

Because he fired his agent?

b-ball-lunachick
11-21-09, 08:58 PM
I love how the Boston paper has to say he fired his Boston born agent after he visited Fenway. :evil:

Chapman has dumped Boston native Edwin Meija and signed with the Hendricks Brothers. Accompanied by Meija, Chapman visited Fenway Park last month. The 21-year-old has drawn interest from a number of teams including the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets and Angels.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-21-09, 09:19 PM
I love how the Boston paper has to say he fired his Boston born agent after he visited Fenway. :evil:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

He's probably thinking, "He's bringing me to this place to play? I've played in nicer parks in Cuba."

delv
11-22-09, 12:29 PM
Why the negative response, JVIS and DEADSOX? One never knows the internal situation that prompted this. For all we know, Chapman's agent might have been hitting on his sister back in Cuba. Or a close friend might've said "Hey, you should dump your agent... they screwed my cousin out of thousands" or something else. Never forget that the media sucks.

Zimmer's Helmet
11-22-09, 12:38 PM
Why the negative response, JVIS and DEADSOX? One never knows the internal situation that prompted this. For all we know, Chapman's agent might have been hitting on his sister back in Cuba. Or a close friend might've said "Hey, you should dump your agent... they screwed my cousin out of thousands" or something else. Never forget that the media sucks.

I believe that the fact that Chapman signed with the Hendricks Bros. actually works out in the Yankees favor.

The Hendricks group and the Yankees have done plenty of business together over the years between Clemens, Pettitte and Joba.

JeffWeaverFan
11-22-09, 12:47 PM
Is it just me or is it a bit rude of him to have left his pregnant girlfriend without telling her?

genius-24
11-22-09, 01:04 PM
It's Cuba man.

DEADSOX
11-22-09, 04:09 PM

From what I've read on this guy so far, he doesn't exactly seem like the most upstanding guy. That leads me to believe that he fired his agent for selfish reasons. If I'm wrong, I'll bite my tongue, but thats just what I believe.

yankeebot
11-22-09, 05:16 PM
From what I've read on this guy so far, he doesn't exactly seem like the most upstanding guy. That leads me to believe that he fired his agent for selfish reasons. If I'm wrong, I'll bite my tongue, but thats just what I believe.I'm sure it was for selfish reasons. An experienced agent would be more likely to get him a better deal. It's a business relationship, not a personal one. I don't have any problem with it at all.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-22-09, 05:23 PM
I'm sure it was for selfish reasons. An experienced agent would be more likely to get him a better deal. It's a business relationship, not a personal one. I don't have any problem with it at all.

I wonder how much money the agency lost getting all of his stuff in order.

Douchey move.

JeffWeaverFan
11-22-09, 06:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4381376

Chapman travels with the same group of people every day: Mejia, Pedro, Pedro's father and a bodyguard the group sarcastically calls "GPS" because of his tendency to frequently get lost. It's a tight-knit group -- all of them are Cuban, except for Mejia -- though outside forces are already threatening to break up this entourage.

A few days before ESPN's visit to Barcelona, an agent's representative arrived at Chapman's workout and tried to slip the pitcher a note. It was the first time an agent had been bold enough to send someone in person to speak to Chapman. Usually, agents or one of their minions call one of Chapman's friends. So far, Chapman has spurned all overtures from other agents and he promises to remain loyal to Mejia.

Friends say loyalty is one of Chapman's best virtues. The first phone call Chapman made after his defection was to Pedro.

(...)

Chapman trusts his friend unconditionally. The two are rarely apart. Without Pedro's endorsement, Chapman would have never picked Mejia, who has never represented a player on a major league team's 40-man roster. Chapman's relationship with Mejia seems safe as long as Pedro remains loyal to Mejia.

TheInfallibleOne
11-22-09, 06:30 PM
Could be worse. Didnt Pavano fire his agent for not getting him a 40 million dollar contract and then signed for 39.95 million with us? And we all forgave him....right?

yankeebot
11-22-09, 06:32 PM
How many millions would you all be willing to leave on the table out of loyalty to someone you hired to work for you?

delv
11-22-09, 07:33 PM
I wonder how much money the agency lost getting all of his stuff in order.

Douchey move.

Business is business (is business).

Joba-Walkee
11-22-09, 07:51 PM
Business is business (is business).
As long as the business is going, I'm cool with that. :P

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-23-09, 08:31 AM
From what I've read on this guy so far, he doesn't exactly seem like the most upstanding guy. That leads me to believe that he fired his agent for selfish reasons. If I'm wrong, I'll bite my tongue, but thats just what I believe.

Just about as selfish as somebody going to a different restaraunt than they normally go to because they think they will get better service? Why shouldnt he try to get as much value and the best service possible from a man or woman he is paying?

rajah
11-23-09, 09:18 AM
How else would one decide on an agent except for "selfish" reasons?

b-ball-lunachick
11-23-09, 10:36 AM
How else would one decide on an agent except for "selfish" reasons?
I think there can be a good rapport and feeling like you trust someone over another agent but I don't have a problem with someone trying to get the most money either. :)

DEADSOX
11-23-09, 11:45 AM
Just about as selfish as somebody going to a different restaraunt than they normally go to because they think they will get better service? Why shouldnt he try to get as much value and the best service possible from a man or woman he is paying?

That's not even remotely close to this situation. Look, I realize these types of things happen everyday, but like I said earlier, based on what I've read about this guy, and it's been quite a bit, he seems to have a past of selfish actions and he does not seem to be a very good person overall. I wouldn't judge the guy on one single occassion, but to me it seems like he has a ................ty personality, and I'm not sure I want an unproven major league arm with a ................ty attittude on the team. This agent went through hell and high water for him, and he's swore his loyalty to him many times. This guy was dirt poor in Cuba, he probably can't even fathom the differences in millions of dollars he'd be making anyway. To me this is just another poor showing ontop of a lot of other poor showings for this guy and I just simply don't care for him.

President Kennedy
11-23-09, 12:20 PM
How many millions would you all be willing to leave on the table out of loyalty to someone you hired to work for you?

They'd play the agent hiring game The Right Way.

DEADSOX
11-23-09, 07:23 PM
John Heyman saying some clubs already putting a red flag on Chapman b/c of what he did with his former agent.

yankeebot
11-23-09, 07:50 PM
John Heyman saying some clubs already putting a red flag on Chapman b/c of what he did with his former agent. Anything more than what's on his twitter? To me, that just sounds like the usual unnamed source comment that never amounts to a thing.
one baseball exec tells me chapman's decision to switch away from agents who got him out of cuba raises character issue

genius-24
11-23-09, 07:50 PM
John Heyman saying some clubs already putting a red flag on Chapman b/c of what he did with his former agent.
Good news IMO.

DEADSOX
11-23-09, 07:59 PM
Anything more than what's on his twitter? To me, that just sounds like the usual unnamed source comment that never amounts to a thing.

He spoke about it on MLBN before too. Don't know if it's true or not, but it's not likely he'd tell who said that anyway.

delv
11-24-09, 01:28 AM
sounds like a cool excuse to sell to the fanbase:

"Well, you didn't really want us to get this guy anyways... I mean, he's a big meanie n' stuff! Those damn Yankees only get meanies to play on their team."

Pakimobzta
11-24-09, 01:30 PM
Chapman's original agency was accused of some shadiness themselves. Maybe he wants to distance himself from the supposed unprofessional tactics of the agency and get with a reputable and experienced agency.

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2009/10/28/aroldis-chapmans-agency-up-to-shady-business/

I'm A Wenner!
11-24-09, 05:54 PM
That's not even remotely close to this situation. Look, I realize these types of things happen everyday, but like I said earlier, based on what I've read about this guy, and it's been quite a bit, he seems to have a past of selfish actions and he does not seem to be a very good person overall. I wouldn't judge the guy on one single occassion, but to me it seems like he has a ................ty personality, and I'm not sure I want an unproven major league arm with a ................ty attittude on the team. This agent went through hell and high water for him, and he's swore his loyalty to him many times. This guy was dirt poor in Cuba, he probably can't even fathom the differences in millions of dollars he'd be making anyway. To me this is just another poor showing ontop of a lot of other poor showings for this guy and I just simply don't care for him.

This is ludicrous. Based on some media reports of a small handful of things he's done, about which you have no context, you're qualified to evaluate the guy's character? How does this happen? How do people like you occur?

DEADSOX
11-24-09, 05:56 PM
This is ludicrous. Based on some media reports of a small handful of things he's done, about which you have no context, you're qualified to evaluate the guy's character? How does this happen? How do people like you occur?

Yes.

I've read a lot, like I said.

My parents had sex.

Cool Papa B.
12-09-09, 11:29 PM
Chapman to throw side session for clubs

Time to see what this guy has.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091209&content_id=7782804&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

gregzzy22
12-10-09, 01:13 AM
Don't want this guy at all.

JohnnyDamonfan
12-10-09, 06:36 AM
We really need all the pitching we can get. If this guy is available we should sign him.

Rocketbooster
12-15-09, 01:13 AM
I expect the Sox to sign this guy.............too bad, because the Yanks won't get a chance at an arm like his given where they pick in the draft. I just don't think they want to spend the $$$ on a kid who's something of a project.......I would do it; it doesn't matter to me if he's a few years from the majors.

chelloveck
12-15-09, 03:28 AM
Was this mentioned here?

Cuban left-handed pitcher Aroldis Chapman has an offer on the table from the Boston Red Sox worth $15.5 million, several sources told ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure Jr.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4741805

PinstripeDynasty
12-15-09, 12:46 PM
Was this mentioned here?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Cuban left-handed pitcher Aroldis Chapman has an offer on the table from the Boston Red Sox worth $15.5 million, several sources told ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure Jr. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Is that for one year or multiple years? Kind of an important piece of information left out.

ny
12-15-09, 12:55 PM
Was this mentioned here?

Seems like a piker offer, anyway the only way he signs with them is if the Yankees decide to pass . :D

xl22k
12-16-09, 05:20 AM
Could be worse. Didnt Pavano fire his agent for not getting him a 40 million dollar contract and then signed for 39.95 million with us? And we all forgave him....right?

Uh...we did? For some odd reason I remember some guy getting boo'd off the mound...

nnysiny
12-16-09, 07:42 AM
Is that for one year or multiple years? Kind of an important piece of information left out.
serious question?

TheInfallibleOne
12-16-09, 06:11 PM
Uh...we did? For some odd reason I remember some guy getting boo'd off the mound...

plug in your sarcasm detector.

TheInfallibleOne
12-16-09, 06:16 PM
i was just thinking ... the bullpen session would have been cool if each attending team brought their best hitter for an at bat against him.

nnysiny
12-16-09, 08:27 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4748235&name=arangure_jorge_jr&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4748235%26name%3darangure_jorge_jr

On the surface, Aroldis Chapman's 30-minute workout on Tuesday for about 15 teams appeared to have accomplished very little. Because of bad weather, the workout took place indoors at the Baseball USA complex in Houston. Chapman wore sneakers for his bullpen session. He threw just 40-50 pitches off a wooden mound. He reached as high as 97 mph, though he was mostly in the 92-93 mph range. Most important, Chapman did not face any hitters, which really is the true test of how advanced he is as a pitcher.

Mark19
12-16-09, 08:30 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4748235&name=arangure_jorge_jr&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4748235%26name%3darangure_jorge_jr

Woud be funny if he took the Red Sox offer and ended up the next Maels Rodriguez

Mr. Mxylsplk
01-10-10, 01:59 PM
Apparently he's signed with an NL team, for 5 years and $30MM. The team hasn't been announced yet, but it's believed to be the Reds.

http://www.rototimes.com/mlb/news.php?tqid=7709&type=news&nid=151148

southernNYYfan
01-10-10, 02:04 PM
21 years old, 97 mph fastball, raw talent...meet Dusty Baker. Hello DL

DaSh 1s
01-10-10, 02:13 PM
Who was the last arm Dusty claimed?

Please say Edison.

YankeePride1967
01-10-10, 02:13 PM
Great whine about those big bad Yankees and then overspend for Chapman.

MassNYYfan
01-10-10, 02:22 PM
At least they're putting the big, bad, no good, evil, bad for baseball Yankees luxury tax payment to use.

yankeebot
01-10-10, 02:27 PM
At least their putting the big, bad, no good, evil, bad for baseball Yankees luxury tax payment to use.
Revenue sharing, yes. Luxury tax, no. Just sayin. ;)

swityak11
01-10-10, 03:02 PM
Good to see smaller market clubs spending money on players for once.

Hope Dusty doesn't destroy him like he did to Volquez.

Yankeeah
01-10-10, 04:17 PM
2:12pm: John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer jumps into the mix, tweeting that the two parties are talking, but the deal is yet to be signed and could be for as many as ten years.

Ten years? Woof!

CallOfTheCrow
01-10-10, 04:26 PM
Jesus Christ could fart out a contract that says Chapman signed for 10 years & I still won't believe it.

R.V.47
01-10-10, 04:40 PM
Looks like its official or going to be

3:29pm: Fay tweets (http://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/7605308030) that an official announcement of the deal may come tonight.

From MLBTR.

DontHateOnNumber2
01-10-10, 05:45 PM
5 year deal with the Reds. Congrats to them. All I know is my heart dropped when I saw the ESPN ticker and it said "with the Red..." and then I exhaled in relief when I saw it was Cincinnati.

MassNYYfan
01-10-10, 08:04 PM
Revenue sharing, yes. Luxury tax, no. Just sayin. ;)

Yeah and I noticed I put "their" instead of "they're" and now wish I had just not posted anything at all. :lol: :(

blumj
01-11-10, 09:50 AM
Jesus Christ could fart out a contract that says Chapman signed for 10 years & I still won't believe it.
I think the 10 years is simply a reference to the Reds getting control of 6 years of major league service time plus up to 4 option years, adds up to 10 years.