PDA

View Full Version : Selig on Studio 42 with Costas

yankeeman61
11-10-09, 07:52 PM
Costas challenges "The Commish" on several issues including the umpiring issues instant replay, WBC, scheduling, playoff format, McGwire, Rose.

- Felt bad calls in playoffs could have been avoided with more conferences
- Not considering expansion of replay due to game length concerns
- Believes there has been a tremendous response to WBC; Costas challenged pretty hard on this saying fans here cared "100 x" more about ML post season- this had to do with ML schedule being pushed back and they only had to deal with it every 4 years.
- Doesn't think there is much of a difference in whether or not post season ends in middle or near end of October; "is "concerned" about November baseball
- Costas suggested 7-game for DS or at least harder road for Wildcard; Bud likes the current format.
- Costas pressed hard on McGwire's return since questions about him were left unanswered. Selig dances around it saying Sen Mitchell's investigation addressed the steroid issue on a large scale and needed to move on.
- Costas questioned whether or not steroid users should be on HOF ballot (Selig said yes) and if so, what about Pete Rose (Selig felt it inappropriate to talk about it since he was the "judge" in his case but indicated "no"). Basically put it on the BBWA to decide and at the same time said the matter was under his review.
- Costas pushed him hard on the lingering affects of steroid era, i.e. is Bonds the legit HR champ - Selig said he and Hank Aaron agree Bonds is legit.
- Talked about implementing a world wide draft in next CBA and implied tinkering with revenue sharing.
- Feels competitive balance is fairest of all sports - 20 of 30 teams have made playoffs in last 5 years although "there is still work to do"

In all Costas asked a lot of great questions and pressed hard. Selig did a good job of dancing. Pretty frustrating to watch.

Eldee5
11-10-09, 09:01 PM
I thought Costas did an excellent job with the interview. He pressed and followed up well but Bud only answered what he wanted to answer. His McGwire answers were particularly frustrating. Not that I expected he'd act any other way.

Joba-Walkee
11-10-09, 09:03 PM
"- Costas pressed hard on McGwire's return since questions about him were left unanswered. Selig dances around it saying Sen Mitchell's investigation addressed the steroid issue on a large scale and needed to move on."

Who needed to move on? The interview, Costas, or the public?

yankeeman61
11-10-09, 09:15 PM
"- Costas pressed hard on McGwire's return since questions about him were left unanswered. Selig dances around it saying Sen Mitchell's investigation addressed the steroid issue on a large scale and needed to move on."

Bud said he did everything he could (meaning the investigation) and Mitchell recommended that "we all move on" and Selig agreed,

26 and counting
11-10-09, 11:15 PM
- Believes there has been a tremendous response to WBC; Costas challenged pretty hard on this saying fans here cared "100 x" more about ML post season- this had to do with ML schedule being pushed back and they only had to deal with it every 4 years.

I wonder how many Yankee fans here would trade in that Yankee World Series championship for an '09 USA WBC title.

Yankeeah
11-11-09, 05:24 AM
The WBC isn't made for US fans, it's made for fans in other countries.

pinstripesphanatic
11-11-09, 06:37 AM
I wonder how many Yankee fans here would trade in that Yankee World Series championship for an '09 USA WBC title.

None, but you can still get into the games and hope the US wins.

BRNXBMRS
11-11-09, 08:25 AM
Why does Bud continue to lie to himself and believe it about the WBC, its a joke.

He is "concerned" about November baseball till he saw that pile of cash Fox threw at him.

This idiot is a joke, he cares about making money not the game.

PinstripePride
11-11-09, 08:45 AM
"- Not considering expansion of replay due to game length concerns"

F*cking idiot.

CoyoteYankee
11-11-09, 09:40 AM
I despise Bud Selig.

Sixty one
11-11-09, 10:10 AM

Selig doesn't want to tackle the McGwire issue head on and probably would prefer the Cardinals to decide how to handle it.

JfromJersey
11-11-09, 11:16 AM

F*cking idiot.

I wouldn't use the profanity, but Selig is truly clueless about IR. Having ump conferences and managers coming out to argue close calls would take up more time than an IR judgement, but even if replay reviews took a bit more time, isn't the whole idea to make the correct call, and not let bad calls affect game outcomes?

PinstripePride
11-11-09, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't use the profanity, but Selig is truly clueless about IR. Having ump conferences and managers coming out to argue close calls would take up more time than an IR judgement, but even if replay reviews took a bit more time, isn't the whole idea to make the correct call, and not let bad calls affect game outcomes?

Yup. When the integrity of the game is in question, I think people would be willing to deal with a little bit of slowdown.

NYYDragoon
11-11-09, 11:44 AM
Did you guys honestly think Bud would say anything groundbreaking?

BronxYanks45
11-11-09, 12:57 PM

well it would have been the venue for it, MLB Network is part of MLB so would have been appropriate to make news there

Eldee5
11-11-09, 12:59 PM
Yup. When the integrity of the game is in question, I think people would be willing to deal with a little bit of slowdown.
Especially in the postseason, which is what Costas was trying to tell Selig to no avail. MLB already realizes the importance of getting the calls right in October or else they wouldn't have a six man umpiring crew. Instant replay would just be an extension of this.

BTW, did anyone else notice that the ONLY bad umpiring calls that were shown during the Selig interview were the two that went in the Yankees' direction? (Mauer's foul double and the play where both Jorge & Robbie were on third base.) As if there were no other bad calls in the PS. /rolleyes

BRNXBMRS
11-11-09, 01:24 PM

Not really and I keep fooling myself into thinking he will

DEADSOX
11-11-09, 01:55 PM
The only thing that really annoyed me was his Pete Rose answer. I don't see the big stink over the WBC, it's once every 4 years, suck it up and live with it. Like someone said, it's more for the other countries of the world than the US, so let them enjoy baseball once every 4 years, to them it's like their world series. A lot of other countries have much more pride for their country than we do, and the WBC reflects that I think, personally I really enjoy it. Also, I don't think he should give a crap about McGwire, who cares anymore? Let that steroid stuff go already and let him work with the Cardinals. I really don't hate Bud Selig as much as most people, I'd like to see what some of you people would do dealing with 30 MLB clubs, a players association and various other crap that comes along with running a large corporation.

yankeeman61
11-11-09, 06:18 PM
The only thing that really annoyed me was his Pete Rose answer. I don't see the big stink over the WBC, it's once every 4 years, suck it up and live with it. Like someone said, it's more for the other countries of the world than the US, so let them enjoy baseball once every 4 years, to them it's like their world series. A lot of other countries have much more pride for their country than we do, and the WBC reflects that I think, personally I really enjoy it. Also, I don't think he should give a crap about McGwire, who cares anymore? Let that steroid stuff go already and let him work with the Cardinals. I really don't hate Bud Selig as much as most people, I'd like to see what some of you people would do dealing with 30 MLB clubs, a players association and various other crap that comes along with running a large corporation.

First of all, I would turn 2 ML teams into MiL teams. Bye bye Marlins and Rays. Never should have been added in the first place. Of course I never would have added the D-Backs or moved the Expos to DC either but at this point they have new stadiums. Oh, hell I would take them out along with the A's and Royals. 12 Teams in each league. OK I know there is no chance of any of this happening but it would if I were King Commish for a day. Competitive balance? Un-saturate the league. Yeah the Players Union would never go for it, but it's my dream and I can do anything I want.

I actually agree with a lot of what Costas said:

Regular season: Needs to end earlier - day/night DH's work for me

Playoffs: All rounds best of 7
Wildcard team should have a tougher road, meaning they are on the road more. I would use a 2-2-3 format

I would use my influence with the BBWA to reinstate Rose's eligibility for the HOF, but not eligible to be employed as part of MLB. Enough of this BS already. He is the All-time hits leader. What he did as a player has nothing to do with what he did as a manager. I was never a fan of Rose in either capacity, but it's ridiculous to keep him out of the Hall.

I would pull McGwire's ass into the office to tell him I want him to be a part of the game, but he needs to make a statement to fans and apologize for the way he avoided talking about "the past". He can say a lot without exposing himself legally. Any type of gesture would help put it in "the past" for a lot of fans. I don't hate the guy, but to this day when I see him I am just disgusted.

The WBC is fine every 4 years, but it should be in January and not delay the start of the regular season.

Finally....
Hire a true Commissioner who believes in the best interests of baseball, not the best interests of the owners.

The Q Bomb
11-11-09, 07:20 PM
I can't stand Bud Selig. He could tell me I won Lotto and I still would hate, I mean intensely dislike, him. He is a charlatan - and frankly, doesn't speak much better than Omar Minaya; he just doesn't have the accent.

I heard his explanation for the late ending to the season - just a bunch of double talk like all his explanations. And to think of the money this guy makes! Guess you can't argue with it, though. MLB revenues are way up during his "commissionership".

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-11-09, 08:12 PM
First of all, I would turn 2 ML teams into MiL teams. Bye bye Marlins and Rays. Never should have been added in the first place. Of course I never would have added the D-Backs or moved the Expos to DC either but at this point they have new stadiums. Oh, hell I would take them out along with the A's and Royals. 12 Teams in each league. OK I know there is no chance of any of this happening but it would if I were King Commish for a day. Competitive balance? Un-saturate the league. Yeah the Players Union would never go for it, but it's my dream and I can do anything I want.

I actually agree with a lot of what Costas said:

Regular season: Needs to end earlier - day/night DH's work for me

Playoffs: All rounds best of 7
Wildcard team should have a tougher road, meaning they are on the road more. I would use a 2-2-3 format

I would use my influence with the BBWA to reinstate Rose's eligibility for the HOF, but not eligible to be employed as part of MLB. Enough of this BS already. He is the All-time hits leader. What he did as a player has nothing to do with what he did as a manager. I was never a fan of Rose in either capacity, but it's ridiculous to keep him out of the Hall.

I would pull McGwire's ass into the office to tell him I want him to be a part of the game, but he needs to make a statement to fans and apologize for the way he avoided talking about "the past". He can say a lot without exposing himself legally. Any type of gesture would help put it in "the past" for a lot of fans. I don't hate the guy, but to this day when I see him I am just disgusted.

The WBC is fine every 4 years, but it should be in January and not delay the start of the regular season.

Finally....
Hire a true Commissioner who believes in the best interests of baseball, not the best interests of the owners.

Marlins have a new stadium already being built.

Soriambi
11-11-09, 08:27 PM

Plus, most of the time the other umps don't see the play because they have their own responsibilities on the play. Not every ump is watching that close call at first or a line drive down the line. They're maneuvering into position to make potential calls at their own bases, etc.

Soriambi
11-11-09, 08:30 PM

Also, the Rays are a pretty good team right now and the Marlins won 87 games this year and have two WS Titles in their 17 years of existence. Why do people want to contract them?

BRNXBMRS
11-12-09, 08:09 AM
Finally....

Costas would make a good MLB commisioner

ace
11-12-09, 09:15 AM
The WBC is not every 4 years, it's every 3...it is three years from 2006 to 2009.

GordonGecko
11-12-09, 10:20 AM
Selig is clearly out of touch with his fanbase regarding instant replay. Even a snooty sport like tennis has replay available for every single ball in play

OldYankeeFan
11-12-09, 10:27 AM

F*cking idiot.
Exactly. Just eliminate one of the 10 commercials that are shown in between each 1/2 inning for each one they show during a review. ZERO time difference in the game.

BillBuckner
11-12-09, 10:29 AM
I miss Bob Costas calling the World Series. A lot.

BronxYanks45
11-12-09, 11:14 AM
The WBC is not every 4 years, it's every 3...it is three years from 2006 to 2009.

no, its every 4 years going forward. 2006-2009 was just a one time 3 yr wait

next WBC is in 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

yankeeman61
11-12-09, 05:09 PM

I would show up at the construction site wearing a hard hat (safety first) with a court order in my hand to SHUT 'ER DOWN. Why? Because the foundation (AKA Florida Fan base) is not up to specification.

The Q Bomb
11-12-09, 07:06 PM
no, its every 4 years going forward. 2006-2009 was just a one time 3 yr wait

next WBC is in 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic Am I the only one who doesn't like The WBC? I don't like the premise. I don't like the lax rules (where a player can decide which country he comes from) or the timing. I don't like that the rules of play are different than "regular" baseball. I am not a fan of this tournament at all. and I didn't even touch upon the risk factor.

BRNXBMRS
11-13-09, 08:14 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like The WBC? I don't like the premise. I don't like the lax rules (where a player can decide which country he comes from) or the timing. I don't like that the rules of play are different than "regular" baseball. I am not a fan of this tournament at all. and I didn't even touch upon the risk factor.

Youre not alone. (raises hand)

BRNXBMRS
11-13-09, 08:15 AM
Exactly. Just eliminate one of the 10 commercials that are shown in between each 1/2 inning for each one they show during a review. ZERO time difference in the game.

But how can these poor millionaire owners get by with eliminating a few commercials, they'd probably have to take it out on the fans and raise ticket prices.

YankeePride1967
11-13-09, 08:15 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like The WBC? I don't like the premise. I don't like the lax rules (where a player can decide which country he comes from) or the timing. I don't like that the rules of play are different than "regular" baseball. I am not a fan of this tournament at all. and I didn't even touch upon the risk factor.

I loathe this tournament.

CoyoteYankee
11-13-09, 09:07 AM

I love the concept of it and I like many things about it but there are other aspects (such as the risk, extension of the season, timing) that I don't like.

DEADSOX
11-13-09, 09:09 AM
There's millions of people who hate the MLB altogether, maybe we should get rid of that.

roblyo33
11-13-09, 02:01 PM
There's millions of people who hate the MLB altogether, maybe we should get rid of that.

Seems like he's making his best effort.

cupcollector99
11-13-09, 02:26 PM
He didn't have time to answer more questions.. Had to get back to colluding to find other creative ways to bleed the Yankees for more money.

delv
11-14-09, 12:38 PM
I loved the WBC.:dunno:

For the people who are fans of baseball and not just their specific baseball team, WBC was a treat. Seeing different styles of play (I really like the Japanese batting style, aesthetically speaking), the crazy underdog Netherlands team, seeing Cuban talent (Chapman), the nationalism and excitement, the rise in talent from Korea (Choo was top 3 RF in baseball in 2009, whether or not anyone realizes this)...

NYYDragoon
11-14-09, 02:37 PM
When else could you have it, and how are the rules different?

mjdlight
11-14-09, 02:47 PM
WBC is a poor, poor substitute for the Olympics, IMHO. I'd be willing to tolerate a disruption to the schedule once every four years to permit MLBers to compete for a Gold medal, but having the World Series end in November to accommodate a cheap Olympics knock-off is asinine.