PDA

View Full Version : Jason Arnold Throws a no hitter.

Michaels07
07-27-01, 09:13 PM
Staten Island`s Jason Arnold struck out 15 walked one as The S.I. Yankees defeated Vermont 8-0. It was the 5th win for Arnold, the Yankees could be developing another star.Jason rhp is out of the U.of C.Fla drafted in the second round 2001.

brbyank
07-27-01, 09:46 PM
I agree he seems to be a good one. Do you know if Jon Skaggs is injured? He has not been pitching.

PinstripePride
07-28-01, 11:31 AM
I was gonna post a thread on this, ya beat me to it...Lets go Jason and the SI Yanks!!!!!
Well, this is my last post before I leave on my Bermuda cruise, the cabbie should be here any minute....bye people!:D :D :D

Michaels07
07-28-01, 11:43 AM
Have a great trip.

GrouchoNYY
07-28-01, 12:01 PM
J.Arnold (W,5-0)
IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

9.0 0 0 0 1 15 0 0.70

Arnold no-hits Expos

By Mike Donoghue (Burlington Free Press)
Jason Arnold used pinpoint pitching to throw a no-hitter and strike out 15 as the Staten Island Yankees blanked the Vermont Expos 8-0 in New York-Penn League action Friday night. Arnold tipped his cap to the appreciative Centennial Field fans that gave him a standing ovation. Arnold just missed a perfect game when he walked Anthony Caracciolo on a 3-2 pitch in the third inning. That was as far as the Expos shortstop would go. I just cant believe I did it, said Arnold, who entered the game with a 4-0 record and a 0.91 ERA. Man, you start thinking about it after the fourth or fifth innings. Every time you start thinking about it it usually goes away. This one just didnt want to go away. I had good stuff tonight and I kept getting ahead. He kept the Expos off balance all night, led by a dominating slider. My slider was really on tonight, which has been probably my third pitch all season so far, Arnold said. Tonight it was there all night. I was using it to strike out guys a lot. I kept getting ahead with the fast ball. With 13 strikeouts recorded through eight innings and three outs to go, it was the slider that gave him the no hitter. He got two more strikeouts and a foul out in the ninth to end the game. The last inning I just went slider, slider, slider. It was working good tonight and I just didnt want to chance any other pitches, he said. So I just threw a bunch of sliders. A three-run homer by Aaron Rifkin was really all Arnold needed. Rifkins blast just inside the right-field foul line came as part of a four-run fourth inning that gave the second-place Yankees a 5-0 lead. Rifkin had a solo blast in the ninth inning Thursday night. It was the first no-hitter thrown in the eight-year history of the Vermont Expos. Earlier this season the Expos were facing a possible no-hitter at Staten Island, but two hits in the ninth inning broke up that game. Arnold appeared to get stronger as he went along. Eight of the last 11 outs were strikeouts. The Yankee outfield handled only two fly outs. The 15 strikeouts were one more than the Staten Island record, set last year. It could have went the other way, I think. But it was probably off the plate. I would have gotten the call later in the game. Looking back I wish I would not have walked him. -NT> Arnold, who said it was his first no-hitter since high school, was left alone by his teammates during the game. I knew I had it and they knew it, too, and they didnt come near me, he said. I was on my own side of the dugout. As the no-hitter continued on, it was not lost on the 3,412 Centennial fans, who appeared to be leaning more and more in Arnolds favor as he continued to pile up the outs. They were awesome, he said. They were very supportive of me. You could hear them kind of get behind a little bit in the ninth inning. Those are good baseball fans. Im very appreciative of that. Arnold continued to sign autographs long after the rest of his teammates had gone into the clubhouse. He said he planned to call his family as soon as he got in the clubhouse. Im sure they are going nuts listening to the game.

Elfdood
07-28-01, 12:59 PM
.70 ERA and a 44/9 strikeout ratio in 38.2 innings? This guy is just plain <i>too good</i> for the NY/Penn League. All I want to know is how he ever got a no-decision. :) He'll probably finish the season in Greensboro or Tampa.

Michaels07
07-28-01, 01:10 PM
I think he will stay the entire year with the Staten Island Yankees.They are the defending Ny Penn league champions and like the parent club are looking to repeat.Nice article by the Burlington Post.

se7ensamadhi
07-28-01, 09:01 PM
To think, this is the guy they drafted with the compensation pick when Neagle went and signed with the Rockies.

I want to see him pitch, hopefully the next SI Yanks game I attend will have him on the hill. By the way he's pitched, he looks like he's ready for Tampa.

Michaels07
07-28-01, 09:48 PM
Will be looking foward to that game. Take you for leaving Danny Neagle.