PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Estralella is impressive at Columbus

Michaels07
07-25-01, 09:38 AM
Bobby, former top prospect of the Phillies organization, who was traded to the Giants and acquired by the Yankees in the Boehringer trade.The catcher has hit his 6th homer in 49 ab and hitting 327 while batting clean up for the Clippers.

wileedog
07-25-01, 01:49 PM
Wonder if Todd Green is starting to feel a bit antsy....

Esp. considering Estella is a much better defensive cather than Green

yankeegeek
07-25-01, 03:07 PM
Greene works well with the rookies. Estella could be intresting.

se7ensamadhi
07-25-01, 09:13 PM
What Greene also has over Estalella is that Greene can do other things besides catch. He played some OF and 1B in Anaheim and Toronto, so his spot on the roster is probably more then backup catcher.

Elfdood
07-25-01, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by se7ensamadhi
What Greene also has over Estalella is that Greene can do other things besides catch. He played some OF and 1B in Anaheim and Toronto, so his spot on the roster is probably more then backup catcher. Of course, Sojo and Bellinger can play those positions, too. Todd Greene is getting a lot of mileage off of the good few games he had following his callup, but he has all sorts of reasons to be worried about Estalella's smashing success in Columbus. And Estalella, hitting like he did last year, would make a very good pinch hitter/DH. Whether he can still hit like he did last year at the major league level remains to be seen, however.

PettittesPrincess
07-25-01, 11:44 PM
Looks like Estallela has improved batting since leaving SF. He used to suck.

Elfdood
07-26-01, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by PettittesPrincess
Looks like Estallela has improved batting since leaving SF. He used to suck. Oversimplication. He sucked this year, but he was still hitting better than Todd Greene has, and his career OPS of .770 (and career high of .825, just last season) is excellent for a catcher, especially one with a good arm. The guy has massive power and good plate discipline.

ChicagoYankeeFan
07-26-01, 03:08 PM
I'm very happy to have him on the team. Catchers tend to develop a little later as hitters as they have to concentrate so heavily on their defensive responsiblities, so I still think he has a lot of improvment before he hits his peak.

I was a little surprised that he hasn't gotten any ML ab's while Justice is out, but I expect he will compete and win the backup catcher/platoon DH/Pinch-hitter role for next year.

YanksRockMan
07-26-01, 03:40 PM
If not before, hopefully the Yankees can put Estalella in the 40 man roster.

PettittesPrincess
07-26-01, 07:38 PM
If not for his talent, bring him up because he is great eye candy.

Gator
07-26-01, 08:16 PM

Slippery Elm would agree :D

Just kidding, just kidding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bobby Estalella once hit two HRs in a game off Pedro Martinez

wileedog
07-27-01, 12:30 AM

We need cheerleaders in baseball..... :evil:

PettittesPrincess
07-29-01, 01:29 AM
2 HR vs. Pedro? That must have been a fluke that he hit at all, let alone 2 homers.

Slippery Elm
07-29-01, 03:36 AM
How many ways can we spell this guy's name?!

He is so bulked up with the muscles I wonder if it hurts the swing and flexibility.

As for female fans having the hots for players, check out some of the forums of MLB of different teams. There are some long threads popping up of the "Who is the hottest?" theme. It's kind of funny.

Michaels07
07-29-01, 08:21 AM
Say Pettite princess. I guess if he hits you will like his bat.

PettittesPrincess
07-29-01, 04:18 PM
I don't think his physique hinders hit hitting all that much. He needs to learn to be more selective. He's good defensively. I don't like him cause of his looks, but it does help.