PDA

View Full Version : Bench Spots

ruthianblast
02-12-09, 09:02 AM
I think the question has been raised enough that it warrants a poll. Of course; I'd probably start a poll anyway; but whatever.

Please choose the number of bench spots you would like to see added to the rosters. If you don't want bench spots added to the constitution please choose none.

THEBOSS84
02-12-09, 09:15 AM
I voted 2.

Snatch Catch
02-12-09, 09:24 AM
Seriously? No bench is part of the whole deal.

Serious Roto style auction leagues are no bench. It's more fun without a bench as it forces you to be more intelligent about the roster moves you make.

Ugh. I really hope that this doesn't change. Bench spots in this league would be worse than A-Rod testing positive.

ruthianblast
02-12-09, 09:44 AM
Seriously? No bench is part of the whole deal.

Serious Roto style auction leagues are no bench. It's more fun without a bench as it forces you to be more intelligent about the roster moves you make.

Ugh. I really hope that this doesn't change. Bench spots in this league would be worse than A-Rod testing positive.

The problem with having no bench spots is that after the auction we become more of a fire and forget league until there is an injury.

A bench allows you to draft a high flyer then let him chill to see if he pans out. It just gives teams more opportunity to have a good draft with value. If there are only two bench spots; and if we keep the same amount of players active there will be no hoarding of players like in every other rotisserie league where there are only 9 active spots and like 5 pitchers.

Every team still needs to draft well; every team still needs to have 2 catchers; 1 CI, 1 MI. I think the overall approach of the league remains intact; I just want a place to store a player while he's cool; then put him back in when he heats up.

I voted for 1 btw; just a little anything goes bench spot; pitcher or position player imo; not one for each.

Snatch Catch
02-12-09, 09:49 AM
It takes more smarts/guile/decision making ability to wait out a player when he's cold - to make the decision that you can't give up on him because his upside is too high, even if it's harming your team.

I understand the arguments for bench slots - I love them in other fantasy leagues. But for me, this league is more serious and more...real when it comes to fantasy leagues. Anyone can pick and stash with bench spots. When your decisions impact your starting roster, there's a lot more at stake and it takes more knowledge to compete.

Bench slots wouldn't change the activity level in the league. I really doubt there's any legitimate correlation there. Roto style leagues are notorious for that. That's why H2H became the way to include everyone - even the non-diehards. A 5x5 league has less activity by nature, and bench slot(s) don't change that.

THEBOSS84
02-12-09, 09:53 AM
If people really feel strongly against the bench spots (as I see 2 ppl already voted no), then I don't really care to have them.

Snatch Catch
02-12-09, 09:55 AM
If people really feel strongly against the bench spots (as I see 2 ppl already voted no), then I don't really care to have them.

And my response is coming from someone who hasn't won isht, and has fared poorly in recent years.

THEBOSS84
02-12-09, 10:04 AM
Ok, whatever is decided I'm ok with.

Can someone remind me how many players we have to keep? Also, if I "renew" a player, does that mean that I get him on a one-year contract at last year's price, but forfeit the right to keep him next year?

Snatch Catch
02-12-09, 10:06 AM
Ok, whatever is decided I'm ok with.

Can someone remind me how many players we have to keep? Also, if I "renew" a player, does that mean that I get him on a one-year contract at last year's price, but forfeit the right to keep him next year?

You must keep 7-12 players.

If you take a player's option you get him at the same price as last year, but, yes, you have to release him after that.

THEBOSS84
02-12-09, 10:10 AM
You must keep 7-12 players.

If you take a player's option you get him at the same price as last year, but, yes, you have to release him after that.

Thanks - I'm screwed, I barely have 7. I'm going to end up keeping Upton at 28 on a renewed deal or one of my catchers at 20-22 on a renewed deal.

How much $ do we get to spend?

Snatch Catch
02-12-09, 10:20 AM
I believe it's $260 for 23 players, but I'm not certain.

THEBOSS84
02-12-09, 10:22 AM
If I own Matt Kemp at $9 and want to give him a 3 year extension, does that mean he'd cost $21 a year for 3 years? I didn't sign any extensions last year so I'm not totally familiar with the rules.

Snatch Catch
02-12-09, 10:24 AM
If I own Matt Kemp at $9 and want to give him a 3 year extension, does that mean he'd cost $21 a year for 3 years? I didn't sign any extensions last year so I'm not totally familiar with the rules.

Correct.

ruthianblast
02-12-09, 10:27 AM
It takes more smarts/guile/decision making ability to wait out a player when he's cold - to make the decision that you can't give up on him because his upside is too high, even if it's harming your team.

I understand the arguments for bench slots - I love them in other fantasy leagues. But for me, this league is more serious and more...real when it comes to fantasy leagues. Anyone can pick and stash with bench spots. When your decisions impact your starting roster, there's a lot more at stake and it takes more knowledge to compete.

Bench slots wouldn't change the activity level in the league. I really doubt there's any legitimate correlation there. Roto style leagues are notorious for that. That's why H2H became the way to include everyone - even the non-diehards. A 5x5 league has less activity by nature, and bench slot(s) don't change that.

I suppose that's true; I guess I just wanted a way to stash a high ceiling guy that does not have minors status.

Snatch Catch
02-12-09, 10:29 AM
I suppose that's true; I guess I just wanted a way to stash a high ceiling guy that does not have minors status.

:lol: Trust me, I'd love them for that reason, too.

MaximMan121
02-12-09, 08:07 PM
Am I getting someone else's team, and picking keeper's from it? Or am I starting afresh.

rodg12
02-13-09, 08:41 AM
This league would be so much better with bench spots. Sooooooo much better. I think having a couple bench spots would help people stay active all year as well. If you got a guy that is struggling, you at least have some options other than dumping him. As it stands now, if you draft a guy that sucks for most if not all of the first half, you're dead in the water. Little chance to recover from that. With a couple bench spots you can stash that guy till he heats up and replace his production. Plus, there were times last year when WAAAAAAAY too much talent was sitting there on the waiver wire with people unable to pick them up. That shouldn't happen.

THEBOSS84
02-13-09, 08:44 AM
Am I getting someone else's team, and picking keeper's from it? Or am I starting afresh.

Last year we had an expansion draft where a few of the newcomers were allowed to pick X amount of keepers from some outgoing owners. Obviously the goal was to pick all their bargains. If there is another expansion team or two, I'm sure they'll handle it the same way with you. For example, I picked Ryan Howard @ $17 with the first pick of the draft, which was a huge bargain.

Snatch Catch
02-13-09, 09:07 AM
As it stands now, if you draft a guy that sucks for most if not all of the first half, you're dead in the water. Little chance to recover from that.

Exactly. You need to actually decide whether or not to commit to the player. You need to make decisions.

The scenario you just described is of someone who either really believes in the player in question, or isn't confident enough in their own ability to evaluate players to make a move.

boo_427
02-15-09, 10:02 AM
All that I care about is open DL spots.

I don't think Bench for roto exist... well for modified leagues.

ruthianblast
02-16-09, 09:04 AM
Well since it's a tie; I say we continue to go without bench spots. Thanks for participating!