PDA

View Full Version : I think we should have Tex on the Bench

Metroidman
12-23-08, 08:31 PM
We could really bring him in for high leverage situations

Put him in the 8th/9th innings when he has a chance to make an impact. Plus this way you ensure that he will bat in the 8th/9th because he will be on the bench. Tex should really not start the game. He'll be more important on the bench

:D:D:D

Point to who actually gets what stupid situation this is referencing

b_joseph
12-23-08, 08:31 PM
Erm...are you talking about the Phil Hughes bullpen debate?

nyyfanatic85
12-23-08, 08:32 PM
Ahahaha, that's really funny. Because comparing an everyday position player to a pitcher isn't apples and oranges or anything...;)

nyyfanatic85
12-23-08, 08:32 PM
You really don't want to get me started on the Joba in the pen thing again, do ya?

Metroidman
12-23-08, 08:34 PM
There's no argument you can make for Joba in the pen that sounds less stupid than Tex on the Bench

marshcat
12-23-08, 09:18 PM
There's no argument you can make for Joba in the pen that sounds less stupid than Tex on the Bench

True. Why have Texeira play 9 innings when he can come in late and close when it really matters? He could be the best pinch-hitter ever.

philleotardo
12-23-08, 10:24 PM

Put him in the 8th/9th innings when he has a chance to make an impact. Plus this way you ensure that he will bat in the 8th/9th because he will be on the bench. Tex should really not start the game. He'll be more important on the bench

Point to who actually gets what stupid situation this is referencingFrancesca, is that you?

primetime714
12-23-08, 10:28 PM

Point to who actually gets what stupid situation this is referencing

hahahahaha, fantastic. It still baffles me how there are some that still say Joba should be a reliever.

Yankee Tripper
12-23-08, 10:29 PM
Our bench has been weak. Tex will clearly be a big upgrade. Swish for 1B!

NYYRules#1
12-23-08, 10:45 PM
Imagine, at the end of every win, we have Joba pitch the 8th, Tex and A-Rod come off the bench to pinch hit, and then have Mo close it out in the 9th. We could even have CC pitch the 7th or 8th if Joba's arm gets tired.

This is genius! Why didn't Cash think of this! We're guaranteed to win the 60 or so games this season in which we have a lead going into the 8th inning now! WORLD CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!111!!!!11!!!1~~~!!!111!!1

;)

KeithF40
12-24-08, 12:20 AM
Joba should be in the pen if we have five very good starters in the rotation. Other than that he should be a starter, closers are way overvalued in this league.

ThePinStripes
12-24-08, 03:13 AM
Joba should be in the pen if we have five very good starters in the rotation. Other than that he should be a starter, closers are way overvalued in this league.
The only time Joba should be in the pen is when we have 5 starters that are BETTER than Joba. If we have 5 starters that are better than Joba, he should be traded for a superstar position player.

JL25and3
12-24-08, 06:56 AM
Very cute. Now this thread should be locked.

WWJD
12-24-08, 08:14 AM
UGH...horrible analogy.

Not saying I agree with Joba being a reliever BUT I can easily see an argument for it:

1. Our Starting pitching esp. if we add Pettite will be stocked. We will have the like of a potentially rejuvenated Hughes etc. for the 5th spot if we dont add another SP.

2. He has shown thus far to be a little fragile. Saving him for the dominant role in the 8th which he was also incredible at , is not a bad proposition (again saving wear and tear).

3. If the SP proves to be fantastic and RP not as much, Joba would be by far the best guy to balance that out (in the regular season or perhaps post season).

4. We would finally have a bonafide dominant 8-9 combo since the Wetteland-Mariano or Nelson/Stanton,Mariano days. Which if I remember correctly were when we won all those world series.

5. Mariano is no spring chicken and we could potentially groom Joba as a closer (especially if we finally decide his durability is best suited for relief)

Hobie
12-24-08, 09:04 AM
The only time Joba should be in the pen is when we have 5 starters that are BETTER than Joba. If we have 5 starters that are better than Joba, he should be traded for a superstar position player.

Exactly.

http://www.retrosheet.org/Research/SmithD/ScoringPattern.pdf

Read page 3.

Starting pitching >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Relief pitching. And as long as Joba is better than anyone in the starting 5, that's where he belongs.

WWJD
12-24-08, 10:04 AM
Exactly.

http://www.retrosheet.org/Research/SmithD/ScoringPattern.pdf

Read page 3.

Starting pitching >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Relief pitching. And as long as Joba is better than anyone in the starting 5, that's where he belongs.

Hmmm how bout when we rotate 3 in the playoffs. And what if the pen aside from Mariano is struggling or inneffective? Everyone needs to stop being so closed minded about this and at least acknowledge with our current make up he COULD may be more useful to this team in the pen especially come postseason.

Hobie
12-24-08, 10:19 AM
Hmmm how bout when we rotate 3 in the playoffs. And what if the pen aside from Mariano is struggling or inneffective? Everyone needs to stop being so closed minded about this and at least acknowledge with our current make up he COULD may be more useful to this team in the pen especially come postseason.

I'd want Chamberlain starting one of those playoff games. If we had 3 starters who could shut down a lineup better than Joba, only then would it make sense to put him in the bullpen.

Obviously there are plenty of what-ifs, but you could say the same about any other team/pitcher.

nojoke
12-24-08, 11:27 AM
UGH...horrible analogy.

Not saying I agree with Joba being a reliever BUT I can easily see an argument for it:

1. Our Starting pitching esp. if we add Pettite will be stocked. We will have the like of a potentially rejuvenated Hughes etc. for the 5th spot if we dont add another SP.

2. He has shown thus far to be a little fragile. Saving him for the dominant role in the 8th which he was also incredible at , is not a bad proposition (again saving wear and tear).

3. If the SP proves to be fantastic and RP not as much, Joba would be by far the best guy to balance that out (in the regular season or perhaps post season).

4. We would finally have a bonafide dominant 8-9 combo since the Wetteland-Mariano or Nelson/Stanton,Mariano days. Which if I remember correctly were when we won all those world series.

5. Mariano is no spring chicken and we could potentially groom Joba as a closer (especially if we finally decide his durability is best suited for relief)I feel the same way. Does anyone remember what it was like NOT having MO saving games for us?

Yankee Tripper
12-24-08, 11:52 AM
I feel the same way. Does anyone remember what it was like NOT having MO saving games for us?
Sparky Lyle, Goose Gossage and Dave Righetti all did a good job for NYY. - Wetland too.

Tehasguard
12-24-08, 12:17 PM
bench as in DH ?

not possible,

CC = DH

WWJD
12-24-08, 12:23 PM
I'd want Chamberlain starting one of those playoff games. If we had 3 starters who could shut down a lineup better than Joba, only then would it make sense to put him in the bullpen.

Obviously there are plenty of what-ifs, but you could say the same about any other team/pitcher.

No you cant because very few are proven dominant releivers like Joba.

Metroidman
12-24-08, 02:04 PM
No you cant because very few are proven dominant releivers like Joba.

Every ace starter can be a dominant reliver.

PirateChief
12-25-08, 09:53 AM
Every ace starter can be a dominant reliver.
Nod true! Some dont have the mentality for it1!11 fo example, mike mussina. dude could neva relieve a game if his life depended on it!11

/francessa

grizy
12-25-08, 08:54 PM
If Joba can last 150 innings in a year as a starter, he should start. If he starts getting rotator cuff tendinitis at 100 IP, then yeah, we need to seriously revisit the plans to groom him as Mo Jr.

HelloNewman
12-25-08, 11:44 PM
When I first saw the thread, I thought it said "I think we should have Sex on the Bench." :eek:

yankeesrule2000
12-25-08, 11:49 PM
:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-:-padlock-

surge511
12-26-08, 12:10 AM
Hahaha I think that analogy, while unrealistic, is very funny. Hopefully someone can bring that up with Fatcesca and see what he says.