PDA

View Full Version : Juan Rivera Grand slam at Columbus.

Michaels07
07-17-01, 09:08 AM
Do the Yankees have a budding star to play right field when Paul O`Neil retires.Juan out of Venezuela,in the Yankee system for 5 years has 5 tools. We have heard this before with another Rivera by the name of Reuben. However it appears this Rivera can hit.

staticm
07-17-01, 11:30 AM
it worries me a little when a guy has been in the minors for 5 years and has never learned to take a walk...

i guess we'll see what happens, nobody is hopeless :)

ChicagoYankeeFan
07-17-01, 12:48 PM
I don't like his walk rate either, but there are positives. He's improved his hitting substantially in the last year, having pretty much shown he can hit both AA and now AAA pitching. He's 22 in the International league - not unheard of, but very good.

He's athletic enough to be useful in the field even without a power bat - so he'll have opportunities to improve over time. Finally, his average and power make him offensively useful (if not great) even w/o taking walks.

My take, he's going to have to improve a lot this year to be ready to play next year, but I think he's a major league starter with the ability to be something better with improvement in his plate discipline. Maybe like a early-career Jay Buhner with fewer walks and higher average.. Except that Jay hit the majors at age 22 (22 AB's) and received (261 AB's at age 23). I don't really see that happening for Rivera, but who knows.. if he improves as much over the next year as he did this past year he will deserve a starting job in the majors sometime next year.

Broadway Joe
07-17-01, 02:26 PM
I really have high hopes for Juan Rivera, and I'm not too concerned with the lack of walks.

Players from the Dominican Republic used to have a saying:
"You don't walk your way off the island, you hit your way off."

In other words, you catch the scouts' attention with your bat, not your eye.

I know Rivera is from Venezuela, but I think the adage applies to most ballplayers from Latin America. Wheter it's the DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Venezuela.

Besides, look at Soriano. He's learning to be more patient at the plate. It takes time. I liken it to a quarterback learning how to read defenses. It takes a while.

Guys such as Nick Johnson, who can put up a .545 on-base percentage at the Double-A level, are rare (remember, too, that Johnson is the nephew of Larry Bowa, so he's probably been the recipient of some solid instruction for a long, long time).

I think Rivera will be just like Bernie Williams ... .300 AVG, 30 HRs, 100 RBIs.

staticm
07-17-01, 02:55 PM
i didn't realize rivera was only 22.
i was thinking 24-25... which makes a big difference.

Michaels07
07-18-01, 09:58 AM
Rivera hit # 4 at Columbus average up to 316, believe he hit 16 while with Norwich before his promotion.He`s a player to watch.

PinstripePride
07-23-01, 09:44 AM
All I'm saying is I've seen this kid play. He's amazing. Expect him to replace Paul next year if the Yanks don't pick up Dye.

se7ensamadhi
07-23-01, 03:08 PM
Only thing that Rivera doesn't have is speed.

And the funny thing is, scouts don't even consider Rivera to be the organization's top outfield prospect. Marcus Thames, another guy putting up big #s at AA, is supposed to be the prize outfielder of the Yankees' minor league system.

Michaels07
07-23-01, 04:41 PM
Se7ensamadhi, how old is Thames? Believe this is his 2 year at Norwich. He does indeed appear to be a prospect.

se7ensamadhi
07-23-01, 09:25 PM
Thames is 24.

.309-20-64 are pretty impressive stats, as well.

One knock on him is that he doesn't hit for much of an average, but a power-hitting outfielder who hits over .300 must be doing something right.

He leads the Eastern League with 32 doubles and 79 runs scored, is third in walks, 5th in Slugging, HRs, and RBIs.

If you ask me, he looks like a pretty good hitter on paper.

IrishDancer
07-23-01, 09:27 PM
Paulie can't last forever, and when he retires, which will likely be soon, we will need someone to replace him. This kid sounds good so far!

mr.roy
07-25-01, 10:55 AM
I hope he gets a chance to play for the Yankees.
I saw him in a Spring Training game in March and his arm is very, very good.

The crowd ooohhhhed and aaahhhhed on two throws he made from right-field.
One to 3rd and one to home. I instantly thought of a young Paul O'Neill arm.

Honest. People were asking who he was after the 1st throw.

One problem, his name has been popping up in trade rumors more and more as he gets better and better.

I can only hope he doesn't go the route of Jimenez.

Michaels07
07-26-01, 07:24 AM
Juan bops # 5 at Columbus. Currently hitting 290 with 13 rbi in 18 games.Yankees top outfield prospect.

Michaels07
07-29-01, 08:41 AM
He hits # 6 as the Clippers beat Charlotte 6-5.Will he be in RF next year if O`Neill retires?

se7ensamadhi
07-29-01, 08:55 PM
Spencer and Rivera will be a Spring Training battle.