PDA

View Full Version : Stock Market Crash to help the Yankees and hurt other teams

Metroidman
10-09-08, 11:01 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/10/08/scoop.wednesday/1.html

Some baseball people say the crashing U.S. economy could give the Yankees an even greater advantage in this free-agent season. Some other teams may be affected by baseball's debt rule that limits spending for teams with significant debt, and some owners may be affected by plummeting stock prices and hurting businesses. Meanwhile, the Yankees' revenues are expected to jump by a few hundred million from an already sport-high $400 million.

yanksphan
10-09-08, 11:04 AM
http://www.maniacworld.com/star_wars_jokes/deathstar.jpg

Time to rebuild, my lord.

Metroidman
10-09-08, 11:05 AM
Just saying. If you're a yankee fan that is soon to be without any money there's a bright side lol

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-09-08, 11:09 AM
C.C., Tex, and Manny

Metroidman
10-09-08, 11:12 AM
C.C., Tex, and Manny

hey hey its still a CRASH you know

I say CC/Burnett/Manny

I dont like Tex

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-09-08, 11:14 AM
You like giving Burnett a 5 yr/80mil+ contract?

Metroidman
10-09-08, 11:15 AM

I think he'll sign for 4 which is fine with me

I just want PITCHING

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-09-08, 11:17 AM
I think he'll sign for 4 which is fine with me

I just want PITCHING

The offense was the main problem last year. I don't think he is going to sign for anything less than 5. Especially now that Sheets value dropped.

teknetic
Tex fill the biggest hole, I'd even wager he'd fill a bigger hole than Sabathia. Burnett would be a decent fallback plan, but Tex/CC need to be prime targets. Throw everything at them and don't look back.

Metroidman
Well if thats the case then I'm happy with CC and Manny alone

Im just not a big fan of giving Tex Miggy Cabrera money.

YanksFan1992
10-09-08, 11:18 AM
C.C., Tex, and Manny
and Sheets, Burnett and K-Rod. :gulp:

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-09-08, 11:19 AM

I just can't understand why not. With the money coming off the books, I can't fathom why you wouldn't want to sign a great switch hitter who plays great defense coming into his prime. It's exactly what the Yankees need.

Metroidman
10-09-08, 11:21 AM
meh I guess. I just hope he's still productive for 8 years

TheGameEpisode2
10-09-08, 11:33 AM
Tex fill the biggest hole, I'd even wager he'd fill a bigger hole than Sabathia. Burnett would be a decent fallback plan, but Tex/CC need to be prime targets. Throw everything at them and don't look back.

Exactly how I feel. If Burnett fell into our laps at a reduced price then what everybody things, then I'll gladlly welcome it. But give me CC and Tex. An ace pitcher with lights out stuff and a great hitting first baseman that can play defense!? GASP! Last time I saw that was...

Well, you know. ;)

Tehasguard
10-09-08, 11:39 AM
you guys are being silly

CC, Manny AND Burnett AND Tex

Yankees13
10-09-08, 11:49 AM

http://heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mr-burns-excellent.jpg

teknetic
10-09-08, 11:58 AM

Texeira's career OPS: .919
Cabera's: .922

Weigh in the fact that Texiera is a switch hitter, plays GG defense (defense isn't Cabrera's best attribute) and is filling a position we have absolutely no help in, in the nearby feature..then yea, I'd say he's worth "Miggy Cabrera" money.

Tifoso
10-09-08, 11:59 AM

:lol::D

Tifoso
10-09-08, 12:00 PM
Exactly how I feel. If Burnett fell into our laps at a reduced price then what everybody things, then I'll gladlly welcome it. But give me CC and Tex. An ace pitcher with lights out stuff and a great hitting first baseman that can play defense!? GASP! Last time I saw that was...

Well, you know. ;)

Tino:)

b_joseph
10-09-08, 12:14 PM

haha...The Empire WILL strike back!!!

wang+cano=future
10-09-08, 12:23 PM
CC, Tex and Burnett. Get it done Cash!!!! The forces of Wall Street are behind you!!!!!!!

JL25and3
10-09-08, 12:31 PM
If they're talking about fiscal responsibility and cutting payroll, I don't see how this is going to help them.

JobaDynasty
10-09-08, 02:17 PM
That's right baby. It makes it even cheaper to call up players from the minors. That's how we get it done.

JL25and3
10-09-08, 02:19 PM
That's right baby. It makes it even cheaper to call up players from the minors. That's how we get it done.I'm not sure how much help you're expecting from the minors this year.

pleasepassthesoup
10-09-08, 04:21 PM
Doesn't this mean that, on top of most teams not wanting to spend as much, players (CC, Tex, Manny included) probably wont be able to demand as much? I would assume the crash would lower the marketprice on contracts, no?

Jumpman_DJ
10-09-08, 05:55 PM

Just like my avatar says!!!!!! :gulp:

Yankees Empire
10-09-08, 05:58 PM

Just as long as we're not undone by a bunch of furry little midgets.

DEADSOX
10-09-08, 06:00 PM
The Yankees are so badass they make hundreds of millions dollars in profits during a global economic recession :lol:

YanksFan1992
10-09-08, 06:39 PM
Just as long as we're not undone by a bunch of furry little midgets.
Pedroia and Youkilis?

BRNXBMRS
10-09-08, 07:15 PM
Most of the $2500 seats are supposed to be filled by Wall Street types. I don't know what company is going to have an extra few million to spend on Yankee games since banks are going out of business by the day & the DJIA just lost 30% in the past 2 weeks.. Maybe the Yanks will actually lower ticket prices since the economy is in the pooper.

JeffWeaverFan
10-09-08, 09:36 PM
Even if we sign Sabathia, and if we only re-sign one of Moose or Pettitte, I'd go 4/$64M with a 5th year option based on innings for Burnett.

Sabathia
Wang
Burnett
Pettitte/Moose
Joba

Joba gets skipped throughout the year and might even get a few week break during the season to keep his innings down. Hughes spends the season either in AAA or as a 3 inning reliever in the majors (pretty much exactly like Santana's role in 2003). If he's pitching well, he'll get plenty of starts due to soemone getting hurt or when Joba needs to be skipped.

That's a rotation we can dominate with.

Yankees Empire
10-10-08, 12:53 AM
Pedroia and Youkilis?

Exactly. You read my mind.

Tabata
10-10-08, 01:37 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/10/08/scoop.wednesday/1.html
Put a good bit of it back into the farm, Hal.

primetime714
10-10-08, 11:19 AM
Even if we sign Sabathia, and if we only re-sign one of Moose or Pettitte, I'd go 4/$64M with a 5th year option based on innings for Burnett.

Sabathia
Wang
Burnett
Pettitte/Moose
Joba

Joba gets skipped throughout the year and might even get a few week break during the season to keep his innings down. Hughes spends the season either in AAA or as a 3 inning reliever in the majors (pretty much exactly like Santana's role in 2003). If he's pitching well, he'll get plenty of starts due to soemone getting hurt or when Joba needs to be skipped.

That's a rotation we can dominate with.

I agree we need 3 good starting pitchers this offseason. If Moose retires as many are expecting I agree that Burnett is the best option. If Moose comes back I'd probably just bring both him and Pettitte back on reasonable 1 year deals and have that money available for next year when there will be another attractive crop of free agent starting pitchers (Lackey, Harden, Bedard, Duscherer) and some good OF's (Holliday, Bay, Crawford, Vlad, re-sign Nady). If Moose doesn't come back while I agree Burnett is the best option I'm real skeptical about him staying healthy given his history and recent workload. While Sheets is also a huge injury risk I might kick the tires on him because given his recent injury he'd probably be cheaper. A lower cost option to look at would be Garland who will is a real solid innings eater type.

But yea CC, Tex, Pettitte, Moose/Burnett/Sheets/Garland, and some cheap bench guys/competition for CF should be the plan this offseason. We have the money to get it done, why not?

Roberto Kelly
10-10-08, 11:47 AM
at least it's helping somebody

JeffWeaverFan
10-10-08, 05:10 PM
I agree we need 3 good starting pitchers this offseason. If Moose retires as many are expecting I agree that Burnett is the best option. If Moose comes back I'd probably just bring both him and Pettitte back on reasonable 1 year deals and have that money available for next year when there will be another attractive crop of free agent starting pitchers (Lackey, Harden, Bedard, Duscherer) and some good OF's (Holliday, Bay, Crawford, Vlad, re-sign Nady). If Moose doesn't come back while I agree Burnett is the best option I'm real skeptical about him staying healthy given his history and recent workload. While Sheets is also a huge injury risk I might kick the tires on him because given his recent injury he'd probably be cheaper. A lower cost option to look at would be Garland who will is a real solid innings eater type.

But yea CC, Tex, Pettitte, Moose/Burnett/Sheets/Garland, and some cheap bench guys/competition for CF should be the plan this offseason. We have the money to get it done, why not?
Personally, I don't think Moose is going to retire. And I'd pick him or Pettitte if we got both CC and Burnett. Of those FA pitchers for next year, the only one I like is Lackey, and my guess is he'll re-sign with the Angels. If one is concerned with Burnett's health, then they have to be concerned with Harden. Bedard is having soldier surgery and that scares me in itself. And I think Duscherer pitched way over his head this year. There's a good chance that Burnett has suckered me with his stuff. It's happened before as I've been a big Burnett fan for years. But, I'll fully admit, I'm a sucker for pitchers that throw hard and have great stuff, and Burnett has both of those things.

As for the OFers, the only two guys I'd go after if I'm the Yankees are Bay and Holliday (the Rays have a team option on Crawford for 2010). We'll have $26M coming off the books next year in Damon and Matsui, plus another estimated $10M or so with Moose or Pettitte coming off the books, along with about $7M or whatever Nady will get (whose a Boras guy by the way, so he'll cost way too much as a FA for what he is, but I do love that it's his walk year next year). So that's about $43M coming off the books next year to go after a position player(s). Our rotation will be set for years with, if everything goes right, our 1-5 starting in 2010 being CC, Joba, Wang, Burnett, and Hughes.

ppa79
10-11-08, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't sign anyone with the current state of the economy. Less people will be buying merchandise and less people will be going to the games. Teams will be looking to trim payroll not add payroll.

primetime714
10-11-08, 04:33 PM
Personally, I don't think Moose is going to retire. And I'd pick him or Pettitte if we got both CC and Burnett. Of those FA pitchers for next year, the only one I like is Lackey, and my guess is he'll re-sign with the Angels. If one is concerned with Burnett's health, then they have to be concerned with Harden. Bedard is having soldier surgery and that scares me in itself. And I think Duscherer pitched way over his head this year. There's a good chance that Burnett has suckered me with his stuff. It's happened before as I've been a big Burnett fan for years. But, I'll fully admit, I'm a sucker for pitchers that throw hard and have great stuff, and Burnett has both of those things.

As for the OFers, the only two guys I'd go after if I'm the Yankees are Bay and Holliday (the Rays have a team option on Crawford for 2010). We'll have $26M coming off the books next year in Damon and Matsui, plus another estimated $10M or so with Moose or Pettitte coming off the books, along with about $7M or whatever Nady will get (whose a Boras guy by the way, so he'll cost way too much as a FA for what he is, but I do love that it's his walk year next year). So that's about $43M coming off the books next year to go after a position player(s). Our rotation will be set for years with, if everything goes right, our 1-5 starting in 2010 being CC, Joba, Wang, Burnett, and Hughes.

With Burnett I certainly see the positives. He has outstanding stuff and has done well against AL east rivals mainly the Red Sox, so I'm not against signing him. However I feel like its a pretty big risk. He has a long history of injuries particularly after seasons of 200+ IP. Coming off a career high in innings pitched color me concerned that we might be getting ourselves into another Pavano type situation. I doubt it, but its certainly a great deal of risk here.