PDA

View Full Version : More on Brett Jodie

Gator
07-15-01, 10:44 PM
Jodie earned the win today after pitching 7 2/3rds innings, giving up only 4 hits, no earned runs, no walks, and striking out 2.

With all the trouble the Yanks have had finding a dependable righty out of the bullpen, it's surprising they haven't let Jodie have a go at it. The Astros, earlier this year, brought up one of their star young starters (Roy Oswalt), and had him pitch out of the pen until he got some major league seasoning. Jodie gets a lot of groundballs, apparently, which leads me to believe he might make an effective relief man, at least temporarily (though with the suspect defense on the left side of the infield, those groundballs might not help).

Of course, Jodie isn't a "proven veteran," which may have precluded him from even being on the Yankees' radar screen.

Stick Update: Johnson went 2-3 with a walk today, and stole his 9th base of the season.

Michaels07
07-15-01, 11:03 PM
I think that Bret Jodie is definitely on the radar screen. Yanks may bring him up to pitch in a game against the Tigers part of a day nite doubleheader. I have been following Jodie for the last 2 years and feel that he is a Prospect.

NyMike
07-16-01, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Michaels07
Yanks may bring him up to pitch in a game against the Tigers part of a day nite doubleheader

If he pitched on the 15th, then his next start would be on the 20th, right? What day is the doubleheader? I think it's before that.

ChicagoYankeeFan
07-16-01, 12:49 PM
Michaels?

I agree with you that he's a prospect - his K/W ratios and ERA have been consistently outstanding in his minor league career, but I haven't had a chance to see him pitch. Which pitches does he throw? what sort of velocity?

My impression has been that he's a pitcher with an average fastball with sinking motion who locates his pitches very well (sort of a better Dave Eiland). The only negative would be that these pitchers sometimes takea while to adjust to ML hitters.

Thanks for the Info.

JeanC
07-21-01, 11:16 PM
Well We Finally saw Jodie pitch in the Majors! Alas but for a day
was all the Yankees could take! Maybe this will give him some chance of encouragement & improvement!

:D

Michaels07
07-21-01, 11:44 PM
Will he ever get another chance in pinstripes? What does he have to do to pitch in the Big show? He needs command,pitch to both sides of the plate,needs to sink his fastball,develop a splitter or forkball.Sounds easy? Not so, if that was the case we would all be winners.

Michaels07
07-25-01, 09:30 AM
He goes 6 innings gives up 10 hits 4 runs as the Clippers beat Norfolk 18-7.