PDA

View Full Version : Plan B if no CC/Burnett/Sheets?

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 01:07 PM
There is a distinct possibility that Burnett will remain in Toronto. It is also a possibility that CC will sign elsewhere considering that the Yankees aren't exactly playoff locks any longer and have little to offer other than more money. Sheets remains an enormous risk that imo the Yankees cannot afford to take. We need a 1B/CF/3-4SP (depending on Joba's role). I'm interested in your thoughts as how Cashman might fill our needs if the aforementioned pitchers are either unavailable or unwanted.

Yankees1962
09-24-08, 01:17 PM
I would sign Mussina and Pettitte to one year contracts and see about signing somebody like sinkerballer Derek Lowe to a 2-3 year contract. I think Joba and Hughes will be better prepared to help out as starters. Our bullpen should be very deep with power arms with a good long man and a couple of lefty relievers that have strikeout ability.

Then go ahead sign Tex for first base and kick the tires on any CF that might be available for trade.

Whatever they do, they need to be patient and make good personnel decisions. Next season their minor league system will be much stronger with more potential ML players closer to the big leagues.

flymick24
09-24-08, 01:19 PM
they'll probably re-sign both mussina and pettitte then (if pettitte wants back in) and then go after one of dempster or garland

not very appetizing

Yankees1962
09-24-08, 01:21 PM
they'll probably re-sign both mussina and pettitte then (if pettitte wants back in) and then go after one of dempster or garland

not very appetizing
I rather sign Lowe, who will take a shorter contract and probably give you the same production.

flymick24
09-24-08, 01:22 PM
none of those three pitchers really seems like an upgrade to this rotation, imo

THEBOSS84
09-24-08, 01:23 PM
If they can't sign any of those 3, I would not panic and sign Dempster. In fact, I wouldn't sign anyone.

flymick24
09-24-08, 01:26 PM
they definitely will sign at least one pitcher outside of moose and pettitte simply because of the fact that cashman will almost certainly not go into this off-season looking to fill two spots in the rotation with youngsters (i don't necessarily agree with that call, but he'll probably go with it anyhow)

Yankees1962
09-24-08, 01:28 PM
they definitely will sign at least one pitcher outside of moose and pettitte simply because of the fact that cashman will almost certainly not go into this off-season looking to fill two spots in the rotation with youngsters (i don't necessarily agree with that call, but he'll probably go with it anyhow)
Which is why I would sign Lowe because his contract will be easier to move if need be because of being shorter in length.

THEBOSS84
09-24-08, 01:29 PM
Which is why I would sign Lowe because his contract will be easier to move if need be because of being shorter in length.

Damn, I agree with you.

aeromac76
09-24-08, 01:32 PM
There is a distinct possibility that Burnett will remain in Toronto. It is also a possibility that CC will sign elsewhere considering that the Yankees aren't exactly playoff locks any longer and have little to offer other than more money. Sheets remains an enormous risk that imo the Yankees cannot afford to take. We need a 1B/CF/3-4SP (depending on Joba's role). I'm interested in your thoughts as how Cashman might fill our needs if the aforementioned pitchers are either unavailable or unwanted.

To me, I look at CC first obviously and go all in..
After that Burnett and then maybe Sheets.

If all fall through, start looking at OIiver Perez.

In short, we need someone from outside the organization. I am sure we can get at least one of those.

If you fall back on a Perez type, then you put Joba in the rotation (which we should do anyway) and you have CMW back. That is a nice top 3, and then you have Moose and Pettitte, you could brin back one, and then the kids starting with Hughes.
If you are concerned for Joba's innings or Hughes and the kids there, sign both Andy and Moose if need be..
But again, this ia a backup plan..

Yankees1962
09-24-08, 01:33 PM
Damn, I agree with you.
Lowe is a solid ML pitcher that has pitched in some big markets and appears to not have any injury concerns. He's a sinkerball pitcher and those type of pitchers age gracefully by remaining productive late in their careers.

Yankees1962
09-24-08, 01:34 PM

In short, we need someone from outside the organization. I am sure we can get at least one of those.

If you fall back on a Perez type, then you put Joba in the rotation (which we should do anyway) and you have CMW back. That is a nice top 3, and then you have Moose and Pettitte, you could brin back one, and then the kids starting with Hughes.
If you are concerned for Joba's innings or Hughes and the kids there, sign both Andy and Moose if need be..
Perez is another candidate, but I have to take a deeper look into his metrics because his lack of command does concern me.

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 01:36 PM
No one is suggesting trading for a pitcher? If people aren't comfortable with a guy like Greinke, then how about Matt Cain. Here's some scuttlebutt concerning his availability rounded up on MLB trade rumors.
Giants need a powerhitter. Will they settle for Cano?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/matt_cain/

THEBOSS84
09-24-08, 01:38 PM
Lowe is a solid ML pitcher that has pitched in some big markets and appears to not have any injury concerns. He's a sinkerball pitcher and those type of pitchers age gracefully by remaining productive late in their careers.

I think he can be had for 2 years $20M or something like that.

NO THANKS to Oliver Perez. I hate him almost as much as Dempster and Garland, except Perez will be considerably more expensive.

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 01:40 PM

I'm an advocate of acquiring Perez. If you can't fortify a rotation from the top down, then do it from the bottom up.

YESSIR!
09-24-08, 01:41 PM
I'm a fan of Perez, and I think he'd be the best choice out of the lower tier pitchers. He has the best stuff and he's a lefty. He's also pitched well in Yankee Stadium (albiet a sss). Granted, he doesn have control problems, but I don't think they're significant enough to sell him short, and they may even be somewhat correctable under the right circumstances.

THEBOSS84
09-24-08, 01:44 PM
Some dumb team will give Perez 5 years and $65-75M.

mvk112
09-24-08, 01:47 PM
I'd stay away from Lowe unless its a 1 year deal. He was terrible in the AL his last 2 years, then goes to a pitchers park in the NL and suddenly puts up some good years.

Javy Vazquez will likely be available again. He'd be a good bet for over 200 IP and around a 4.50 ERA. Doubt Cashman would want to revisit that one, but he has 2yrs/$23M left on his deal.

Gil Meche might be available, for the right price. Maybe a DeJesus/Meche deal could be put together. Meche has 3yr/$35M left on his deal.

Brett Myers might be available, he has 1yr/$12M left on his deal.

I wonder if Aaron Harang would be made available by the Reds... he has put up pretty good numbers prior to this year in a hitters park. He has 2yr/$23.5M w/ $12.75M option left on his deal.

Obviously, none of those guys are aces, but if they strike out on CC/Burnett/Sheets, they might have to take a chance on one of them to secure the rotation. I think I'd be most interested in trading for Harang, then maybe trading Cano for Kemp plus something else, then signing Orlando Hudson to play 2B. The cash would then be there to sign Teixeira.

Damon, LF
Jeter, SS
Rodriguez, 3B
Teixeira, 1B
Nady, RF
Posada, C
Kemp, CF
Matsui, DH
Hudson, 2B

SP - Wang, Harang, Pettitte, Mussina, Aceves/Hughes
BP - Rivera, Joba, Marte, Bruney, Ramirez, Coke, Veras

Bench
Molina, Betemit, Ransom, Melky/Gardner

This would be a big bet on the return to health from Posada, Matsui, Wang, and Pettitte, and a return to form of Harang, but I'm not sure there is much else that can be done, to be honest.

aeromac76
09-24-08, 01:47 PM
No one is suggesting trading for a pitcher? If people aren't comfortable with a guy like Greinke, then how about Matt Cain. Here's some scuttlebutt concerning his availability rounded up on MLB trade rumors.

It is not a bad idea although I steer clear of Greinke. He was so much a headcase in KC he needed therapy, and good for him that he got his issues worked out, but NYC ain't going to be a relaxed day at the park.

The problem with deals is that most times, in the offseason, we get bent over a barrel.
We could not make any deals last winter. At the deadline it is different because teams dump salary, but that is not an offseason thing, so we get these crazy demands from teams.

I just harken back to the Schilling and Santana deals, we get asked for the entire world and the final deals wind up being to someone else for far less than what we were asked.
So I always look moe to free agents. Even if we have to offer more, we have more so I don't mind.

But our best trades are deadline deals, offseason deals have been few and far between for many years running.
I would consider a deal like Cain for Cano, sure. But I bet we get asked for way more and then you have to walk away..

webassign
09-24-08, 01:53 PM
Yu Darvish

b_joseph
Crawl under the duvet and pray for a rain out???

Seriously, I already have CC and AJ on the team and have had them on the team for a good few months now. Few years in AJ's case.

I guess a rebuilding reality might actually come to fruition if plan B every stared us in the face.

Casey37
Uh oh, that would probably mean that they'd have to take a closer look at Oliver Perez. :(

webassign
09-24-08, 01:54 PM
Uh oh, that would probably mean that they'd have to take a closer look at Oliver Perez. :(
We already have a crappy overpriced lefty: Kei Igawa.

The Dynasty
09-24-08, 01:55 PM
Plan B

1.Lowe
2.Moose
3.Ollie P

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 01:56 PM
I'd stay away from Lowe unless its a 1 year deal. He was terrible in the AL his last 2 years, then goes to a pitchers park in the NL and suddenly puts up some good years.

Javy Vazquez will likely be available again. He'd be a good bet for over 200 IP and around a 4.50 ERA. Doubt Cashman would want to revisit that one, but he has 2yrs/$23M left on his deal.

Gil Meche might be available, for the right price. Maybe a DeJesus/Meche deal could be put together. Meche has 3yr/$35M left on his deal.

Brett Myers might be available, he has 1yr/$12M left on his deal.

I wonder if Aaron Harang would be made available by the Reds... he has put up pretty good numbers prior to this year in a hitters park. He has 2yr/$23.5M w/ $12.75M option left on his deal.

Obviously, none of those guys are aces, but if they strike out on CC/Burnett/Sheets, they might have to take a chance on one of them to secure the rotation. I think I'd be most interested in trading for Harang, then maybe trading Cano for Kemp plus something else, then signing Orlando Hudson to play 2B. The cash would then be there to sign Teixeira.

Damon, LF
Jeter, SS
Rodriguez, 3B
Teixeira, 1B
Nady, RF
Posada, C
Kemp, CF
Matsui, DH
Hudson, 2B

SP - Wang, Harang, Pettitte, Mussina, Aceves/Hughes
BP - Rivera, Joba, Marte, Bruney, Ramirez, Coke, Veras

Bench
Molina, Betemit, Ransom, Melky/Gardner

This would be a big bet on the return to health from Posada, Matsui, Wang, and Pettitte, and a return to form of Harang, but I'm not sure there is much else that can be done, to be honest.

I would be happy with the bolded suggestion as it would fill two needs albeit by opening a hole a 2B. But that could be fixed via FA.

ppa79
09-24-08, 02:01 PM
rebuild

bigjf
09-24-08, 02:08 PM
rebuild

They are, but this is a big market team and they should use the money. Spend it wisely, not on 35+ year old pitchers past their prime.

All in on Sabathia. I'd rather get Sheets than Burnett, but both are injury risks. I wouldn't mind Perez or Dempster at the right price, but I'm not sure they are attainable. A lot of it will depend on what Moose and Pettitte decide to do. No thanks to Darvish, I don't need to get burned on big money for what could basically amount to the equivalent of an astronomically high priced draft pick.

JL25and3
09-24-08, 02:29 PM
I would be happy with the bolded suggestion as it would fill two needs albeit by opening a hole a 2B. But that could be fixed via FA.What else were you planning to give up? I don't think Cano would be anywhere near enough to get DeJesus and Meche.

primetime714
09-24-08, 02:30 PM
CC is plan A
Burnett/Sheets are plan B

I can't imagine us getting to plan C, but in that case I think we would overload on offense and sign two of the top offensive FAs (Teixeira, Manny, Dunn). Then we'll probably bring back Moose and Pettitte and possible sign one lesser FA like Perez, Dempster, Lowe, or Garland.

It likely won't get that far. I could see CC not signing with us, but all three of the top young arms? Doubtful.

ucfjon
09-24-08, 02:34 PM
It is also a possibility that CC will sign elsewhere considering that the Yankees aren't exactly playoff locks any longer and have little to offer other than more money.

What teams that are interested in him are more of a lock? I could see the Angels, maybe.

nnysiny
09-24-08, 02:38 PM
trade for Matt Cain. he has tossed 200 innings for the past 3 seasons and without CC, the Yankees will be desperate for an innings eater. he walks too many batters, but he has ERA+s of 113, 122 and 108 over the past 3 seasons, with room for improvement at age 23

wang+cano=future
09-24-08, 02:46 PM
1. Attempt to trade for Cain. If the asking price is crazy then;

2. Sign Moose and Pettitte

3. Sign Lowe

4. Have Wang, Moose, Pettitte, Joba, Hughes/Aceves/Milton/Zambrano

primetime714
09-24-08, 02:47 PM
trade for Matt Cain. he has tossed 200 innings for the past 3 seasons and without CC, the Yankees will be desperate for an innings eater. he walks too many batters, but he has ERA+s of 113, 122 and 108 over the past 3 seasons, with room for improvement at age 23

What would we trade to get him? The Giants are talking about dealing him for Prince Fielder. Maybe Cano, but given the choice between those two I'd probably take Prince.

JL25and3
09-24-08, 02:47 PM
trade for Matt Cain. he has tossed 200 innings for the past 3 seasons and without CC, the Yankees will be desperate for an innings eater. he walks too many batters, but he has ERA+s of 113, 122 and 108 over the past 3 seasons, with room for improvement at age 23Actually, I don't think the IP are a point in his favor. They've been working a very young arm pretty hard.

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 02:55 PM
What else were you planning to give up? I don't think Cano would be anywhere near enough to get DeJesus and Meche.

Yankees have pitching prospects to spare. They could work something mutually beneficial out. Afterall, Meche is owed quite a chunk of change over the next three years.

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 02:59 PM
What teams that are interested in him are more of a lock? I could see the Angels, maybe.

It's not just that we aren't a lock. Its the media and the fans who eat big FA players up when they stumble. Also, the NYS tax rate tends to eat up a good chunk of change as well. Less money at a lower tax rate=more money at a higher tax rate.

JL25and3
09-24-08, 03:05 PM
Yankees have pitching prospects to spare. They could work something mutually beneficial out. Afterall, Meche is owed quite a chunk of change over the next three years.But DeJesus is such an outrageous bargain that he offsets that.

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-24-08, 03:06 PM
Kill yourself.

nnysiny
09-24-08, 03:10 PM
What would we trade to get him? The Giants are talking about dealing him for Prince Fielder. Maybe Cano, but given the choice between those two I'd probably take Prince.
apparently the Brewers want a prospect in addition to Cain, so a straight swap for Cano sounds about right

yankswn23
09-24-08, 03:12 PM
Im sorry but if the Yankees sign CC and have a healthy pitching staff and then get Tex.. we should be voted first to be champions next year, especially after missing the playoffs this year the yanks will have a chip on their shoulder..

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 03:13 PM
But DeJesus is such an outrageous bargain that he offsets that.

I'm not adverse to giving up some of Kennedy/Sanchez/Coke/Veras/Edwar.

nnysiny
09-24-08, 03:13 PM
Actually, I don't think the IP are a point in his favor. They've been working a very young arm pretty hard.
2005: 191 IP (including minors)
2006: 191
2007: 200
2008: 211

his workload has been incredibly steady. hes also 6'3 230 lbs. hes built to provide innings. CC has had a similar workload through his age 20-23 seasons

SINCE77 2
09-24-08, 03:24 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spkend0925,0,4077009.column
More Sabathia Speculation

Here's what a friend of CC Sabathia told Midweek Insider this past week about the impending free-agent left-hander: "CC likes to be happy."

Sabathia, in other words, wants to be in a cheery atmosphere.

He's not afraid of pressure or adversity, but he'll put himself in a place where the environment is supportive.

Do the Yankees qualify as such a setting? Players from other teams used to want to play for Torre; will Girardi carry any of the same cache? Will the Yankees' offer surpass the others by such a considerable margin that Sabathia won't even worry about happiness?

These questions will be answered shortly enough. But before Sabathia's free agency even starts, it is proving to be one of the more dramatic cases.

Sabathia has told people that he was building a home in California's Orange County. But that is apparently on hold until Sabathia decides on his next employer.

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-24-08, 03:27 PM
Losing Torre hurts this team yet again. Just look at last offseason, we weren't able to extend Pettitte, A-Rod, Posada, and Mo.

kan_t
09-24-08, 03:54 PM
Lowe won't be a bad choice. He is an inning eater which can give you 100-110 ERA+. And he has shown that he can pitch in big market team.

Krall
09-24-08, 04:09 PM
I would sign Mussina and Pettitte to one year contracts and see about signing somebody like sinkerballer Derek Lowe to a 2-3 year contract. I think Joba and Hughes will be better prepared to help out as starters. Our bullpen should be very deep with power arms with a good long man and a couple of lefty relievers that have strikeout ability.

Then go ahead sign Tex for first base and kick the tires on any CF that might be available for trade.

Whatever they do, they need to be patient and make good personnel decisions. Next season their minor league system will be much stronger with more potential ML players closer to the big leagues.

Amen!

BxBomber44
09-24-08, 04:14 PM

No. Cain is way too expensive.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-24-08, 04:14 PM
Plan B:

I'd probably end up looking to sign someone like maybe Jon Garland .

2. Sign Moose back.

3. Try to go after pitcher via trade.

4. Try to get Teixshara.

Krall
09-24-08, 04:39 PM
Losing Torre hurts this team yet again. Just look at last offseason, we weren't able to extend Pettitte, A-Rod, Posada, and Mo.

Eh those guys weren't going anywhere anyway with or without Torre running the ship.

And no one will ever know what '08 would have been like with Torre here. We can all speculate though :)

Did Palin really do as your sig says?

nnysiny
09-24-08, 04:42 PM
No. Cain is way too expensive.
i guess you mean in terms of what the Yankees will have to give up? his contract is a steal

marshcat
09-24-08, 05:00 PM
Eh those guys weren't going anywhere anyway with or without Torre running the ship.

And no one will ever know what '08 would have been like with Torre here. We can all speculate though :)

Did Palin really do as your sig says?

It was actually 5 colleges in six years, BTW. But she did graduate with a degree in sports journalism. (from university of Idaho)

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/516085.html

In order:
University of Hawaii at Hilo, Hawaii Pacific University, North Idaho College, University of Idaho, Matanuska-Susitna College, and University of Idaho again.

Krall
09-24-08, 05:08 PM
It was actually 5 colleges in six years, BTW. But she did graduate with a degree in sports journalism. (from university of Idaho)

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/516085.html

In order:
University of Hawaii at Hilo, Hawaii Pacific University, North Idaho College, University of Idaho, Matanuska-Susitna College, and University of Idaho again.

Which makes it sound like she was flunking out so she transfered for greener pastures, but I guess it's possible she had a whole lot of family or personal issues to have a college record like that.

Either way that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

JeffWeaverFan
09-24-08, 06:06 PM

not very appetizing
Garland is garbage (and the Yanks will know that) and Dempster will re-sign with the Cubbies. That leaves the only other FA pitcher as Oliver Perez, who I think would be a bit of a disaster.

apalradio
09-24-08, 06:42 PM
It amazes me sometimes how virtually any pitcher named in this forum draws some sort of critique or criticism as being an unworthy target. These are some of the best pitchers around in this day and age. We seem to be getting picky to a fault.

Abe Frohman
09-24-08, 08:46 PM
I dont really want Sabathia anyway so if it turns out to be too much drama, sign Tex

to a good contract, not a crazy one. We know LAAOAOAA will pony up for him so,

Something like 6 - 7 150 - 170. If he asks for A-Rod money forget him too. hes

good, but not THAT good.

cyhughes22
09-24-08, 09:13 PM
If we don't get 1 of those 3 guys then we're in a whole heap of trouble. Only 1 of Pettitte or Mussina will be back(I hope Moose) and another year older. We don't know what the hell this team intends to do with Joba and Hughes/Kennedy are still question marks. The bottom line is that if we don't reinforce the rotation this team is in deep ................. If we miss out on CC that hurts a lot and we have to get either Burnett or Sheets. Realistically they're both equally injury prone but for my money Sheets is the better pitcher and the guy I would take the risk on. Ideally if I had my way we'd sign CC and Sheets and look to make a couple of trades using surplus arms to help sure up the offense.

cyhughes22
09-24-08, 09:15 PM
I dont really want Sabathia anyway so if it turns out to be too much drama, sign Tex

to a good contract, not a crazy one. We know LAAOAOAA will pony up for him so,

Something like 6 - 7 150 - 170. If he asks for A-Rod money forget him too. hes

good, but not THAT good.

I agree with you that he's not that good because frankly no player(not even A-Rod or Pujols) is THAT good. I would hope to god though that the Yankees are smart enough to go as low in years as Sabathia will accept and that the cap on that spending is 150 million.

NelsonMuntz
09-24-08, 09:30 PM
Where are we getting the idea that there is a "distinct possibility that Burnett will remain in Toronto"? Burnett set career highs in games, starts, innings, strikeouts and wins this season. He'd be a fool not to test free agency.

I'll be shocked if we do not end up with at least one of CC, Burnett, or Sheets. Otherwise, 2009 is a rebuilding year, particularly if Joba stays in the bullpen.

surge511
09-24-08, 10:12 PM
If we don't get the big guns:

Wang
Pettitte
Moose
Hughes
Joba - Aceves/Kennedy/Rasner/Ponson etc. until he's ready

I would rather go with the kids again than sign some idiot to a 40 million dollar contract.

Roberto Kelly
09-24-08, 10:33 PM

Dodgers

ksison
09-24-08, 11:52 PM
Igawa

Yankees1962
09-25-08, 03:35 AM
Garland is garbage (and the Yanks will know that) and Dempster will re-sign with the Cubbies. That leaves the only other FA pitcher as Oliver Perez, who I think would be a bit of a disaster.
Perez leads the ML in walks with 102. He has talent, but if the Yankees can't get their main pitching targets then I rather sign Mussina and Pettitte to one year contracts then see if they can sign Derek Lowe to a short-term deal.

mvk112
09-25-08, 07:47 AM
I don't want Derek Lowe at all. I prefer trading for Aaron Harang, who Cashman had interest in in July, according to Jayson Stark at ESPN.

He's had a rough year, but has been pretty good otherwise in a hitter's haven. He's only 30, he has 2 years, $23M with an option left.

Not sure what it would take to get him, Ian Kennedy is probably a start, maybe if they throw in Kontos and Cervelli a deal can be reached. Maybe that's too much, but if all other options are exhausted, you gotta give something to get something. It might even be a good idea to do this if Sabathia is signed.

This rotation would be pretty damn good -

Sabathia, Wang, Harang, Pettitte/Mussina (re-sign 1 of them), Hughes/Acevedo

Joba fills in for ineffective or injured, which would be inevitable.

Harang's numbers in his career against the AL -

184.1 IP
3.76 ERA
1.34 WHIP
7.82 K/9

Against the AL East, he is at:

43.2 IP
3.53 ERA
1.20 WHIP
8.73 K/9

BRNXBMRS
09-25-08, 07:57 AM
Plan B:

I'd probably end up looking to sign someone like maybe Jon Garland .

2. Sign Moose back.

3. Try to go after pitcher via trade.

4. Try to get Teixshara.

I like the John Garland idea and trading for a pitcher, I'd rather bring back Andy then Mussina,. Tex is going to want too many years and towards the end of his contract everyone will be screaming to get him off the team. The Yanks are finally getting Giambis contract off the books dont make the same mistake twice. My gut tells me that Hank will sign AJ since he schooled the Yanks this year.

flymick24
09-25-08, 08:15 AM
giambi was a lot older when he signed his massive contract

BRNXBMRS
09-25-08, 08:33 AM
giambi was a lot older when he signed his massive contract

Giambi was 31 Tex will be 29, not that much

flymick24
09-25-08, 08:37 AM
those are actually 2 huge prime years out of any athlete's career

JohnnyDamonfan
09-25-08, 11:50 AM
I like the John Garland idea and trading for a pitcher, I'd rather bring back Andy then Mussina,. Tex is going to want too many years and towards the end of his contract everyone will be screaming to get him off the team. The Yanks are finally getting Giambis contract off the books dont make the same mistake twice. My gut tells me that Hank will sign AJ since he schooled the Yanks this year.

Really? You really think we couldn't sign Tex for a 4-5 year deal? I do think we need a a good hitter to back up A-rod maybe to make him bat better. And Manny might be a good option too. But, I think I'd prefer TEX. And please avoid Burnett like the plague. Burnett did school the Yankees this year. But I really don't want him because he is injured and with other teams he is kinda inconsistant. If you want to get technical. There isn't enough room on the rotation to sign everyone that schooled the Yankees this year. We might as well pick up 80-90 percent of pitchers in the MLB if that were the case.;)

JL25and3
09-25-08, 11:51 AM
Really? You really think we couldn't sign Tex for a 4-5 year deal? I do think we need a a good hitter to back up A-rod maybe to make him bat better. And Manny might be a good option too. But, I think I'd prefer TEX. And please avoid Burnett like the plague. Burnett did school the Yankees this year. But I really don't want him because he is injured and with other teams he is kinda inconsistant. If you want to get technical. There isn't enough room on the rotation to sign everyone that schooled the Yankees this year. We might as well pick up 80-90 percent of pitchers in the MLB if that were the case.;)I think there's zero chance that they'll get Texeira for 4-5 years.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-25-08, 11:54 AM
I think there's zero chance that they'll get Texeira for 4-5 years.

Why? Oh, right Scott Boras is his agent. Who is Manny's agent? Please god tell me it's not Scott Boras.

BRNXBMRS
09-25-08, 12:08 PM
Really? You really think we couldn't sign Tex for a 4-5 year deal? I do think we need a a good hitter to back up A-rod maybe to make him bat better. And Manny might be a good option too. But, I think I'd prefer TEX. And please avoid Burnett like the plague. Burnett did school the Yankees this year. But I really don't want him because he is injured and with other teams he is kinda inconsistant. If you want to get technical. There isn't enough room on the rotation to sign everyone that schooled the Yankees this year. We might as well pick up 80-90 percent of pitchers in the MLB if that were the case.;)

I dont want to sign Burnett, I just think that Hank will want the guy that beat the yanks. Anyway if Tex can be had for 4-5 done! The Yanks would be nus to pass that one up. He is going to want more years & $$

flymick24
09-25-08, 12:10 PM
Why? Oh, right Scott Boras is his agent. Who is Manny's agent? Please god tell me it's not Scott Boras.

it is... maybe we'll get a two for one deal

JohnnyDamonfan
09-25-08, 01:43 PM
it is... maybe we'll get a two for one deal

This is Scott Boras we're talking about not a fricken wal-mart. ;) Hey that would be nice getting Tex and Manny for a 2 for 1 deal. Well Damon's agent was Scott Boras too. So I still think we might be able to get a 4 or 5 year deal for one of them

If needed I will go up all the way to 7 years for Tex. Not for Manny though. ANy more then 7 years for Tex and Tex and Manny can go elsewhere.

Tifoso
09-25-08, 01:47 PM
Igawa

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :D

The Yanks need to get an Ace. Period.

Ace=4 WS rings in 5 years.

No Ace=no rings since.

Sign pitching

Joltin' Joe
09-25-08, 01:51 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :D

The Yanks need to get an Ace. Period.

Ace=4 WS rings in 5 years.

No Ace=no rings since.

Sign pitching

Let is just hope we can get CC or Burnett, because aside from those two no other pitcher in the FA market interests me for a multi-year deal.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-25-08, 02:05 PM
Let is just hope we can get CC or Burnett, because aside from those two no other pitcher in the FA market interests me for a multi-year deal.

Remember there is always getting starters via trade.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
09-25-08, 05:43 PM
Remember there is always getting starters via trade.

The yanks know all about that...

iiMax
09-25-08, 05:44 PM
I'd rather have the yanks sign a cheaper player that's 25, do some quality scouting and try to reach a deal. Paying for over the hill, old pitchers is not worth it.

I want to see how Hughes does in ST and also Kennedy. I think if Kennedy can really work on throwing his breaking stuff for strikes, he'll be good, I want to see how he develops in the offseason and how he performs in ST. I still believe in him, I think he'll be a solid number 3-4 starter soon.

yankeesrule2000
09-25-08, 07:52 PM
I really think Tex will sign with the Angels. I think CC will stay out west, we will be stuck with Burnett or Lowe. Maybe we trade Cano for Kemp or for pitching. Hopefully we can get Dejesus to play center, and a decent first baseman. Hank is def going to pull out all the stops to make a huge Free Agent signing to open up the new stadium.

NelsonMuntz
09-25-08, 07:58 PM
I really think Tex will sign with the Angels. I think CC will stay out west, we will be stuck with Burnett or Lowe. Maybe we trade Cano for Kemp or for pitching. Hopefully we can get Dejesus to play center, and a decent first baseman. Hank is def going to pull out all the stops to make a huge Free Agent signing to open up the new stadium.
Being "stuck" with a healthy Burnett wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-25-08, 08:15 PM

Anyway we can sweeten the deal for the Dodgers and maybe pick up Loney too with Kemp? I think Loney would make a fine first baseman for us. And yeah Burnett wouldn't be so bad if healthy.

JOE COOL
09-25-08, 11:59 PM
If we don't get the big guns:

Wang
Pettitte
Moose
Hughes
Joba - Aceves/Kennedy/Rasner/Ponson etc. until he's ready

I would rather go with the kids again than sign some idiot to a 40 million dollar contract.

Well, I'm hesitant on Andy Pettitte. And Michael Kay said there were whispers in the Yankee clubhouse that Mike Mussina might retire after this season. (I hope he gets his 20th win this Sunday and he'll be right up there in wins with HOF Jim Palmer.)

So, supposing we say we sign one of Pettitte or Mussina and I would definitely prefer Mussina. Then I'd like to see:
Wang
Mussina
Joba
Hughes
Aceves

I still believe Ian Kennedy will eventually become a Yankee starter. He just needs to adjust his attitude. We could use a lefty starter but not if Pettitte is going to repeat this past season.

The Yankees may decide not to go after any of the big guns like Sabathia or Teixeira because they'll cost too much. There is talk of them bringing Giambi back and he is willing to take less money to return.

I also think 33-year old Freddy Garcia might be worth a look as he has had surgery on his shoulder and should be back in form for next season.

Bleacher_Creature
10-10-08, 12:51 PM
How about Greinke?

If this article is any indication then a package of Kennedy/Melky+ should get it done!

"If the Royals swing a deal for Greinke, they will look for a Santana type package meaning they need one or two major league players and a couple of high level prospects."

http://mvn.com/mlb-royals/2008/10/08/the-greinke-question/

What high level prospects did the Twins get for Johan? Humber?

BRNXBMRS
10-10-08, 01:03 PM
How about Greinke?

If this article is any indication then a package of Kennedy/Melky+ should get it done!

"If the Royals swing a deal for Greinke, they will look for a Santana type package meaning they need one or two major league players and a couple of high level prospects."

Done! Yes they couldve of gotten Santana for theses 2 +, but that is H2O under the bridge.
13-10 202 1/3ip 3.47 era1.275whip 25 y/o. Git er done Cash

primetime714
10-10-08, 01:32 PM
How about Greinke?

That's not at all what that article was implying plus the Twins turned down a Kennedy/Melky+ package last year when those guys actually had decent value.

Humber was far from the best prospect the Mets gave up. Both Gomez and Guerra were ranked fairly high as prospects. Humber and Mulvey were solid prospects that were added to that base. It certainly wasn't a star studded package, but it was A LOT better than what a Kennedy/Melky+ package would be now.

The Yankees would likely have to give up one of Hughes, Jackson, or Cano to get anywhere in negotiations with the Royals for Grieneke.

The Rangers accordingly to that article already made a fairly substantial offer which was turned down. You think the Roayls are really going to jump at the chance to land Kennedy/Melky who have very little value at this point.

Bleacher_Creature
10-10-08, 01:38 PM
You think the Roayls are really going to jump at the chance to land Kennedy/Melky who have very little value at this point.

I was being sarcastic on the Melky/Kennedy part...

Ynkcpt23
10-10-08, 02:34 PM

Moreno has already discussed keeping his payroll around the $130 million mark which means bye-bye K-Rod and little room to bid on Tex, esp. against the Yankees deep pockets. I'm still bullish on Hal and Cash getting it done with CC, AJ and Tex and keeping all of our kids.

W/the idea of no CC, we've got our work cut out for us--I don't like Oli Perez, a trade for Greinke would be expensive, talent-wise. We'd be in trouble...

Hobbes40
10-10-08, 02:57 PM
rebuild

Pretty much. You don't panic and sign someone like Dempster to a 4 or 5 year deal if CC/Burnett/Sheets doesn't work out because that would be the equivalent of us panicking and signing Igawa when Boston got Dice-K. At that point you just resign Pettitte and try to coax Moose back, and hope for the best.