PDA

View Full Version : Brian Bruney since comeback from injury

dsimp8
09-24-08, 11:37 AM
Bruney has been incredible since coming back from his lis franc injury. He is a bullpen piece that must be re-signed for 2009

YESSIR!
09-24-08, 11:43 AM
I was at least expecting some numbers :dunno:. Now I feel let down.

Dannman103
09-24-08, 12:07 PM
Here's his season so far:

33.2 Innings, 18 hits, 16 walks, 32 strikeouts and a 1.87 ERA

He's someone who should definitely be a big part of next year's bullpen.

smckdwn989
09-24-08, 12:36 PM
i really see him stepping in as a big part of the 8th inning next year. seeing how I still think joba makes his way into the rotation next season.

Mr.Muhozi
09-24-08, 12:42 PM
i have to admit brian has made me eat a lot of crow this season, it's a shame he got injured he may have put up even better numbers, i see him as set up man in 2009

WestCoastBiaS
09-24-08, 01:15 PM
He's been really good this year, but I'm a little concerned that he's not really as good as he's seemed. I mean 33 innings are a tiny sample, and he's had a hard to sustain BABIP of .203. I'm not against resigning him necessarily, but I'd expect an ERA in the 3.5-5 range (ERA is so variable for relievers) significantly more than I would one below 3.

The more I look at his numbers, the more I see fluke, his fundamentals haven't changed, it just looks like more balls have been hit at people instead of to holes, and more long fly balls have found the warning track than the first row of the seats. I mean he is fundamentally not a bad pitcher, and he should be retained as a decent bullpen arm, but expecting a repeat of this season is probably going to create disappointment.

Mark19
01-30-09, 02:47 PM
Bruney avoids arbitration with a $1.35 million contract for 2009

The key for him has always been cutting down on his walks. His pitching mechanics say it all. If he throws across his body, he can keep the ball down get batters to swing at it

kan_t
01-30-09, 02:55 PM
There will be no arbitration cases as Brian Bruney agreed to a one-year contract.

UPDATE, 3:39 p.m.: Troy Renck of the Denver Post says Bruney will get $1.25 million. That makes sense given that he asked for $1.55 million and the Yankees offered $1.1 million.
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2009/01/30/yankees-sign-bruney/

ajra21
01-31-09, 07:02 AM
i have been impressed with bruney since he first came to us, although he did walk alot when he first arrived.

b-ball-lunachick
01-31-09, 11:18 AM
i have been impressed with bruney since he first came to us, although he did walk alot when he first arrived.
Me too but I also think he didn't adapt well to Torre's bullpen management..because Torre didn't trust him fully, he was always worried he was going to get yanked if one batter got on...which was often the case..became a catch-22.

OldYankeeFan
01-31-09, 01:44 PM
Bruney avoids arbitration with a $1.35 million contract for 2009

The key for him has always been cutting down on his walks. His pitching mechanics say it all. If he throws across his body, he can keep the ball down get batters to swing at it
It looked to me like he never mastered a repetitive motion. He'd have it on spurts, so I know he can do it. I just haven't seen it over a prolonged enough stretch to say "he's got it". I'm hoping the progression will continue.

ajra21
02-01-09, 05:02 AM
Me too but I also think he didn't adapt well to Torre's bullpen management..because Torre didn't trust him fully, he was always worried he was going to get yanked if one batter got on...which was often the case..became a catch-22.

spot on. i still like many things about torre but his bullpen management was awful.

NYYFutures17
02-01-09, 12:23 PM
spot on. i still like many things about torre but his bullpen management was awful.

Scott Proctor always came off as his favorite guy. I mean, he was decent for a bit, but that never made any sense to me. That should say it all...

ajra21
02-03-09, 08:06 AM
Scott Proctor always came off as his favorite guy. I mean, he was decent for a bit, but that never made any sense to me. That should say it all...

i firmly believe that proctor would stil be healthy and effective had been managed properly.

KeithF40
02-05-09, 05:12 AM
I see him pitching the 7th and Marte turning things back around and pitching the 8th.

BRNXBMRS
02-06-09, 07:55 AM
The Yanks want him to pitch the 8th in 09. After reading this he seems to matured.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/02/05/2009-02-05_brian_bruney_fit_for_yankees_pen-2.html

"I thought it was time to figure things out and really do what I know I can do. I don't want to be one of those up-and-down guys, great one day and horrible the next. I want to be consistently good. Eating healthy, exercising, things every pro athlete should do to maintain a high level, I didn't do. I started doing it last offseason and last year was one of my better years."

R.V.47
02-06-09, 07:56 AM
I see him pitching the 7th and Marte turning things back around and pitching the 8th.

I see more of a Nelson, Stanton like combo with those 2 sharing the 8th and a combination of Veras, Edwar and Coke for the 6th and 7th.

Rocketbooster
02-06-09, 08:20 AM
The Yanks want him to pitch the 8th in 09. After reading this he seems to matured.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/02/05/2009-02-05_brian_bruney_fit_for_yankees_pen-2.html

Thanks for posting!

Brian worked his tail off to get back from his injury last year - an injury his doctors recommended season-ending surgery for. He postponed that surgery because he wanted to come back and help his team - that's real dedication. He's lost weight and apparently looks good - I think his turnaround is for real. With his arm and brain finally in synch, there's no reason Bruney can't be a real success.

BRNXBMRS
02-06-09, 08:29 AM
Thanks for posting!

Brian worked his tail off to get back from his injury last year - an injury his doctors recommended season-ending surgery for. He postponed that surgery because he wanted to come back and help his team - that's real dedication. He's lost weight and apparently looks good - I think his turnaround is for real. With his arm and brain finally in synch, there's no reason Bruney can't be a real success.

Thats what it sounds like, he throws gas. I am so jonesing for some basball on this 17 degree day!!

nnysiny
02-06-09, 08:37 AM

nice. he was a fat malcontent when he came over, and now hes slender and seems to be a great team player

Eldee5
02-06-09, 09:33 AM
I don't have the split stats on this one (I'm sure someone could pull them together) but last night during Yankees' Hot Stove on YES, they isolated Joba's bullpen numbers from his starts last season and put them up against Bruney's bullpen stats (admittedly a reduced sample size.) Bruney's were better than Joba's across the board.

THEBOSS84
02-06-09, 01:43 PM
Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News reports that Brian Bruney has lost 16 pounds this offseason and a total of 40 pounds since the end of 2007.
Bruney is still checking in at 219 pounds, but said Thursday that's the least he's weighed since high school. Control has always been an issue for Bruney, but he has overpowering stuff when he's throwing strikes and could emerge as Mariano Rivera's primary setup man.

http://rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx

JavyVazquezIsSick
02-06-09, 01:48 PM
Wow, good for him.

delv
02-06-09, 01:58 PM
now maybe Reynolds and Fatcessa will stop complaining about Joba not being in the pen.

teknetic
02-06-09, 02:15 PM
He's only 26 (27?) good to hear.

Our bullpen :drool:

Rocketbooster
02-06-09, 05:09 PM
now maybe Reynolds and Fatcessa will stop complaining about Joba not being in the pen.

Francesca asked Yogi about this on his show today - in fact, it was one of the first things he asked Yogi. The day Francesca forgets about Joba in the pen is the day he is laid to rest.

hardrain
02-06-09, 05:51 PM
Bruney will be an important -- real important -- cog in the wheel.