PDA

View Full Version : Good Goly,It's Oli ! (ver Perez--Mod)

Abe Frohman
09-03-08, 10:22 PM
Oliver Perez ... Young Lefty in YS, Gets up for big games, FA ... what u guys

think ? I think hes atleast worth taking a look at. Control problems and Boras aside.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-03-08, 10:24 PM
I would consider it as long as it wasn't a huge contract. With Joba in the pen we need all the help we can get.

GimeMoMuny
09-03-08, 10:27 PM
Pass.

I don't think the tight rope act would bode well in the AL East.

Abe Frohman
09-03-08, 10:27 PM
I would consider it as long as it wasn't a huge contract. With Joba in the pen we need all the help we can get.

He'd DEF want 15/Yr ... anything less than that and he'd just stay with the mutts.

How long tho ?

Abe Frohman
09-03-08, 10:29 PM
Pass.

I don't think the tight rope act would bode well in the AL East.

When hes on its no act, my friend. The dude is unhittable. If we can Harness that he

could be a 1 or 2 type starter.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-03-08, 10:31 PM
He'd DEF want 15/Yr ... anything less than that and he'd just stay with the mutts.

How long tho ?

I'm guessing a 2-3 year contract is out of the question since Boras is his agent?

Abe Frohman
09-03-08, 10:36 PM
I'm guessing a 2-3 year contract is out of the question since Boras is his agent?

Probably. 3 yrs ( He'd only be 30 ) with 2 options would be great IMHO. Boras wont

go for it tho.

GimeMoMuny
09-03-08, 10:40 PM
When hes on its no act, my friend. The dude is unhittable. If we can Harness that he

could be a 1 or 2 type starter.I'd rather the Yankees gamble on Sheets.

nycdoc999
09-03-08, 10:45 PM
$15M/year for multiple season for Oliver Perez and his 1.42 WHIP? How do you think that'll translate against the patient lineups of Boston, LAAoA, Detroit, Baltimore, etc?

metalboy15
09-03-08, 11:05 PM

think ? I think hes atleast worth taking a look at. Control problems and Boras aside.
No thanks.

This season:

FIP: 4.78
xFIP: 4.96

themgmt
09-03-08, 11:05 PM
No good, no thanks.

Damon(MVP)
09-03-08, 11:08 PM
I prefer a trade for Bedard who is a much better lefty, say Melky for him straight up.

R.V.47
09-04-08, 07:57 AM
No thanks to Oli Perez, one problem our pitching has had is inconsistency, Perez definitly doesnt solve that.

dabomb2045
09-04-08, 08:03 AM
I prefer a trade for Bedard who is a much better lefty, say Melky for him straight up.

Yeah I'm sure Seattle is knocking down our door to make that trade

BRNXBMRS
09-04-08, 08:10 AM
Too many walks, but for the right price its very tempting.

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-04-08, 08:17 AM
Good golly, it's olly, would of make a ton more sense.

THEBOSS84
09-04-08, 08:49 AM
Good golly, its olly, would of make a ton more sense.

He spells his first name Ollyver?

jk

primetime714
09-04-08, 09:01 AM
He's got great stuff, but he's way too inconsistent for this team. He'd be a risk and we haven't done so well taking risks with FA starting pitchers, so I'll pass. I'd probably take him over Burnett though.

R.V.47
09-04-08, 12:39 PM
Too many walks, but for the right price its very tempting.

Tempting without a doubt, but for the price he would want Id rather go with AJ Burnett who is just as inconsistent but has shown dominance in the AL east at times.

DaBliz
09-04-08, 01:31 PM
I'd take a good look at every pitcher this offseason. I wouldn't consider Perez a top guy to get but if he's willing to sign at a reasonable price while the others are being unrealistic, then I'd give it a shot. I don't know what the Mets are offering but the price for us can't be much higher. His demeanor could be something this team could benefit from.

Hellsing
09-04-08, 02:15 PM

Already mentioned this MONTHS ago....

They should sign this kid if he wants to pitch for a DECENT amount. If he asks for the moon, you pass on him.

continentalg5
09-04-08, 02:59 PM
He's probably going to go for the big money...

I want to save it all for Mr. Sabathia!

teknetic
09-04-08, 03:09 PM
If we're gonna go that route, I'd spend the money on Burnett instead.

Snatch Catch
09-04-08, 03:10 PM
There are much better options out there. I don't have much faith in him being consistently good.

Roberto Kelly
09-04-08, 03:15 PM

:uhh:

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
09-04-08, 11:35 PM
:uhh:

Ditto

nnysiny
09-05-08, 06:15 AM
i would not touch Oliver Perez with a 10 foot pole. in addition to his mental and mechanical issues, hes a Boras client. he has never pitched 200 IP in a season too, and this is in the NL

Mr.Muhozi
09-05-08, 06:45 AM

agreed on his day this guy is the one of the best in the league, i think the dudes problem is his concentration, he may take small teams lightly and not concentrate, but in big games when he's focused, he can embarrass a lineup

themgmt
09-05-08, 07:54 AM
The left handed Kyle Farnsworth.

Leave it alone.

YankeesAce4Life
09-05-08, 09:34 AM
Just what we need....another guy who will either be good or bad. When he's good, he's good, when he's bad he's really bad.

teknetic
09-05-08, 12:20 PM
agreed on his day this guy is the one of the best in the league, i think the dudes problem is his concentration, he may take small teams lightly and not concentrate, but in big games when he's focused, he can embarrass a lineup

Trying to harness his control would be dandy if he was a youngster making pennies, but he's not. He's in for a big payday and you don't commit that much money to a pitcher and hope you can calm the beast. It's a big gamble and one that has a very good shot of blowing up in your face.

Bleacher_Creature
09-05-08, 12:39 PM
According to this article, he could be a type A free agent...

Four starters project to have Type A status: C.C. Sabathia, Kyle Lohse, Ben Sheets, and Oliver Perez. Lohse and Perez are solid pitchers, but they're less attractive given the loss of a draft pick.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

nnysiny
09-05-08, 05:58 PM
According to this article, he could be a type A free agent...

Four starters project to have Type A status: C.C. Sabathia, Kyle Lohse, Ben Sheets, and Oliver Perez. Lohse and Perez are solid pitchers, but they're less attractive given the loss of a draft pick.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
any GM who gives up draft picks for Oliver has to be insane

allybear
09-06-08, 09:14 PM

The key words are "when he's on". I'd pass for the money he wants.

AcidLake
09-06-08, 09:20 PM
Well I don't see much wrong with going after Oliver Perez... a lefty with stud stuff (low-mid 90's with great slider)... has been consistent after they fired Peterson and very aggressive pitcher without any nibbling, plus he kills lefty batters. Plus, he's on the beginning of prime in his career... why so much hate? :dunno:

I'd really hate it if he goes to AL team cause frankly, he kills us

CallOfTheCrow
09-06-08, 09:22 PM
any GM who gives up draft picks for Oliver has to be insane

The Braves gave up a draft pick to sign Tom Glavine, the Mets did too to sign Moises Alou. You never know.

nnysiny
09-06-08, 09:29 PM
The Braves gave up a draft pick to sign Tom Glavine, the Mets did too to sign Moises Alou. You never know.
well, Minaya is insane. the Glavine deal was a head-scratcher from day one

Abe Frohman
11-24-08, 10:47 PM
I really wouldnt mind this guy being our 4th starter if we Sign CC.

CC
Wang
Pettitte
Perez
Joba/Aceves/Hughes

Snatch Catch
11-25-08, 08:00 AM
Please, God, no Oliver Perez.

I'd rather Burnett than Perez, and by a large margain, too.

primetime714
11-25-08, 08:13 AM
Please, God, no Oliver Perez.

I'd rather Burnett than Perez, and by a large margain, too.

Agreed. Perez would be a terrible signing. His value seems more in line with his potential than with his actual performance. Given that he is assured to be severly overpaid despite considerable bust potential.

Yankee Tripper
11-25-08, 08:14 AM
Agreed. Perez would be a terrible signing. His value seems more in line with his potential than with his actual performance. Given that he is assured to be severly overpaid despite considerable bust potential.

What happens if the market for Oli drops this year like it did for Loshe last year and we still need a 5th starter?

bcom33
11-25-08, 08:58 AM
I'd rather the Yankees gamble on Sheets.

Heck yes /thread

cyhughes22
11-25-08, 09:30 AM
This a guy who gets smacked around pretty badly basically 1 out of every 2 or 3 starts. That happens to him in the NL East where the bottom 3 spots in the lineup could be filled with disabled little leaguers and get the same production. Now people want to give up a draft pick for him and let him do that against Boston, Tampa and Toronto. I don't get it.:dunno:

ajra21
11-25-08, 09:50 AM
i'd take him on a two to three year deal of around $7-8m per year but i very much doubt that he'd take that.

JfromJersey
11-25-08, 11:02 AM
I don't know. Every time I see this guy pitch he's been lights out good.
I'd take Perez over Lowe in a heartbeat.

Dannman103
11-25-08, 12:03 PM
I don't know. Every time I see this guy pitch he's been lights out good.
I'd take Perez over Lowe in a heartbeat.

That's probably because you've only seen him pitch against the Yankees. Last year in 2 starts against us, he was 2-0 with a 1.84 ERA. Against the rest of the league, in his 32 other starts, he was 8-7 with a 4.42. He's very inconsistent, and from what I've heard from Mets fans, he's very frustrating. That said, if he could be had for a decent price, Perez wouldn't be a terrible guy to get. Just wouldn't want to have to count on him to be a top of the rotation guy.

35Knucklecurve
11-25-08, 12:32 PM
Tempting without a doubt, but for the price he would want Id rather go with AJ Burnett who is just as inconsistent but has shown dominance in the AL east at times.
Anybody who's has any success in the AL East is going to be a plus. I'd lean toward Burnett over Perez and definitely over Lowe.

sjb23
11-25-08, 01:01 PM
It seems like most everyone on this forum either wants a number 1 starter to fill a #3 or #4 spot in the rotation, or else they want to put in an unproven rookie (Hughes,Aceves,Kennedy,etc).

The reality is that if the Yanks can't sign Sabathia, they have to get at least two of the next best starters available, from amongst Burnett,Lowe,Perez,Sheets,etc, or else they will risk missing the playoffs again in 2009. There have been suggestions made that if the Yanks can't sign the FA pitchers they want, they'll instead turn to improving the offense with the intentions of outslugging thier opponents.

I thought they tried doing that in 2006 & 2007? The 2006 offens was great, but was stifled in the playoffs. The 2007 offense was flat-out inconsistent.

If they can't sign Sabathia, I think they can compete with Wang,Burnett,Perez,Pettitte, and Chamberlain.

Snatch Catch
11-25-08, 01:04 PM
Scott Boras actually IS Perez's agent in this case, people.

It's highly unlikely he's coming on the cheap.

YESSIR!
11-25-08, 02:20 PM
The biggest problem with Oliver has to do with what he's going to cost, not so much what he can provide. Despite his inconsistency, he's still a lefthander with plus stuff. I would be all for looking at Perez if his price was resonable.

primetime714
11-25-08, 02:41 PM
The reality is that if the Yanks can't sign Sabathia, they have to get at least two of the next best starters available, from amongst Burnett,Lowe,Perez,Sheets,etc, or else they will risk missing the playoffs again in 2009. There have been suggestions made that if the Yanks can't sign the FA pitchers they want, they'll instead turn to improving the offense with the intentions of outslugging thier opponents.

If that's the reality of it. I choose signing Teixeira and missing the playoffs. I'd rather risk missing the playoffs again than invest a large sum of money into any of those guys. I like Sheets but only because he'll be more reasonably priced. Burnett, Lowe, and Perez are all going to be grossly overpaid. If I had to choose from the 3 I guess I would choose Perez and hope he puts things together as he does have great upside and is only 27.

The worst thing we can do this offseason is to make more bad investments. We're just getting past some of our past mistakes which are a large part of the reason why we haven't won since 2000.

Signing guys like Burnett, Perez, and Lowe to big deals is the same carelessness that we have shown in free agency for some time now and it has cost us dearly.

Guys like Sabathia and Teixeira are sound investments that will help this team both now and in the future and barring the unforseen should remain effective throughout the length of their deals. These are the types of guys worth big money.

yankswn23
11-25-08, 03:02 PM
I hope CC, if he chooses to deny our offer does it sooner or later so we can go after Tex and Manny if we want to get crazy offensively and then sign the likes of Lowe and Burnett

teknetic
11-25-08, 03:12 PM
The biggest problem with Oliver has to do with what he's going to cost, not so much what he can provide. Despite his inconsistency, he's still a lefthander with plus stuff. I would be all for looking at Perez if his price was resonable.

and it won't, thankfully.

YESSIR!
11-25-08, 03:19 PM
and it won't, thankfully.

Hey, ya never know. What teams are going to sink $60 mil into the guy? He might not have a choice but to prove himself before he can really cash in.

teknetic
11-25-08, 03:30 PM
Hey, ya never know. What teams are going to sink $60 mil into the guy? He might not have a choice but to prove himself before he can really cash in.

If Dempster can get 4/52, then so can Perez. He shouldn't even be Plan C; nearly 5BB/9 isn't something I hope we'd bank on to have success in the AL East.

THEBOSS84
11-25-08, 03:40 PM
If Dempster can get 4/52, then so can Perez. He shouldn't even be Plan C; nearly 5BB/9 isn't something I hope we'd bank on to have success in the AL East.

I disagree.

YESSIR!
11-25-08, 03:41 PM

See, that's all people can point to. He has control issues. Now, I know those a pretty serious issues to have, but it's not like the guy is a total mess. Perez has good stuff. He can be dominant when he's on. If he can just get beyond the control problems there's real potential there. It's hard to advocate a reclamation project, but perhaps a change in personell could go a long way in moving him along. Or maybe he'll always walk a lot of people. I dunno, but he's still young, and not totally hopeless, imo.

R.V.47
11-25-08, 03:42 PM
See, that's all people can point to. He has control issues. Now, I know those a pretty serious issues to have, but it's not like the guy is a total mess. Perez has good stuff. He can be dominant when he's on. If he can just get beyond the control problems there's real potential there. It's hard to advocate a reclamation project, but perhaps a change in personell could go a long way in moving him along. Or maybe he'll always walk a lot of people. I dunno, but he's still young, and not totally hopeless, imo.

Im not willing to go to the lengths of 4/52 just based on potential. Perez was huge in big games for the Mets no doubt about it, but I cant see him being anything more than a weekly question mark everytime hes out on the mound and the yanks have enough question marks up and down the roster already.

teknetic
11-25-08, 03:45 PM

I'm all for reclamation projects and taking a gamble (Ben Sheets) Oliver Perez is gonna be a pretty damn expensive project. He's not hopeless, but some poor sap is gonna overpay for him.

YESSIR!
11-25-08, 03:51 PM
I'm all for reclamation projects and taking a gamble (Ben Sheets) Oliver Perez is gonna be a pretty damn expensive project. He's not hopeless, but some poor sap is gonna overpay for him.

Agreed there. Overpaying for Oliver Perez is not really an option.

NYYFAN
11-25-08, 04:08 PM
NL head case...pass

Yankyfan
01-04-09, 11:50 AM

think ? I think hes atleast worth taking a look at. Control problems and Boras aside. I Guess the Post agrees .At least Kevin Kernan does.;)

scooterfan
01-04-09, 11:57 AM
No thanks.

This season:

FIP: 4.78
xFIP: 4.96

There's only one emoticon for those #'s:
:barf:

Perez isn't going to come cheap. The big thing is this - if you want to bring in a high-priced free agent here, you want an innings-eater - not a head case.

And if you're going to blow $15 mil/yr on a guy, I'd rather try to steal Lowe from the Mets - give him two years with a 3rd year option contingent upon performance (say 380+ IP over the first two years). If he vests the option, it means he's been healthy and well worth it. (If not, you've committed only 2 years)

With Omar offering 3/36, a 2/30 offer with an easily-attainable option is going to look pretty attractive.

(All that said, I still would rather sign Andy for 1 year at $10 mil)

Tehasguard
01-04-09, 12:01 PM
No thx, seen him pitch a couple of times and is just too much of a risk

he will get overpayed in the end