PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 season~slip sliding away

mycroft
08-24-08, 10:49 AM
It was really heartening to hear Girardi say the Yankees are focused on Tampa and the division, of course his comments should have come in May or June, not late August. How many teams in years gone by stunk up the entire season and found themselves in such a deep hole that winning every game in Sep would not be enough to make the playoffs. Unfortunately it looks like we are in that position. The return of Matsui is way too little, and the return of Joba will be way too late. Pudge is way beyond his good years and we would be better off if we didn't get him, another mistake by Cashman, one of many. Melky is in the minors and we are now stuck with limp arm in center. A penny saved is a penny earned and a run gunned down at the plate is a run earned. A concept Cashman and this organization has never caught on to.

So what is really wrong with this team, where does the blame belong? I am not talking about the obvious which is, of course, lack of scoring, but the question is why. Look at this team. Jeter, Damon, Mussina, Pettitte, Pudge, and Mo are all certified champions with the rings and big plays to prove it, yet this team still stinks. Our pitching has been good and defense, until recently, has been good as well. Yet we still stink, smelling it up game after game, choke after choke...WHY? It just doesn't make sense, but I guess that is baseball.

I have long argued about synergy and the team concept in baseball and how it plays out over the course of a long season. Many think this idea is nonsense and point to baseball being a game of individuals and only sabermetrics and statistics matter. Well what I see with the Yankees this year cannot be explained with stats. It cannot explain how Jeter, a champion among champions, can stink it up so many times or how ARod can become ChokeRod almost overnight. In the 90s we had many players who fit into the team concept like Louis Soho and Jim Leyritz, not great but always there when needed getting big hits. Girardi and his famous triple...on and on. Now we can't get a stinkin fly ball with a runner on thrid, and now we dribble into double plays and leave hords of runners on base.

I am afraid this season is all but over. We have to climb over 2 teams to get into the playoffs as a wild card and Tampa is 10.5 games up with no sign of slowing down, another great mystery I might add. It looks like we need to start looking ahead to next season in a new park. I am not saying we are dead but I see a fork pretty darn close. Next year we need to try and figure out what is wrong with this team, why it consistantly chokes in situtations it once excelled, and how we can regain Yankee glory so I don't have to listen to the sux fans or espn or fox make a mockery of the greatest franchise of all time. 27 is becoming the most difficult one of all.

themgmt
08-24-08, 10:51 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhh

mycroft
08-24-08, 10:56 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhh

I think the cat has been out of the bag for awhile now

mycroft
08-25-08, 09:55 AM
The sweep of Baltimore, as difficult as it was, does help our chances but the level of play has to increase and the three errors we commited were terrible and we came very close to blowing another game. What Jeter is doing is beyond me. 0-5 and a crucial error is not what a champion does in a critical game and every game from here on out is critical. My biggest concern is Pudge. You have got to be kidding me right? This is the player we got to replace Posada? We would be better off if Posada blew off the surgery. Pudge was one of the greatest catchers of all time but I said WAS! This guy is terrible. He can't hit, and he can't throw anymore tossing a throw over Jeter's head and almost blowing Rivera's save and the game. Why Cashman got this guy is puzzling to say the least and totally clueless to say the most. Anyone seen Chad Moeller? Can this end and can we get Molina back in there because we can't afford Pudge in the Boston series. I could run on him.

Well we need to keep on keeping on and the next 3 games are, as usual, critical. If we sweep we might have a chance. If we get swepted we can pack it up. Anything inbetween doesn't help our chances but 2 out of three is the best we can hope for, and then we have to depend on help from losers like Toronto who look like the greatest team on the planet against us and choke to everyone else to somehow help us out. Just a great position to be in.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-26-08, 10:43 AM
I have a question. If the Yankee's get swept this weekend and are pretty much out of it. Do you start giving Marte some save opportunities in hope it helps him become a type A ?

effdamets
08-26-08, 10:57 AM
I have a question. If the Yankee's get swept this weekend and are pretty much out of it. Do you start giving Marte some save opportunities in hope it helps him become a type A ?
no...

brosiusbuddy
08-26-08, 11:44 AM
These kinds of posts are silly. I've had some expressing my lack of confidence in this team, but usually after a bad loss or something when I was ticked off. Then reality sets in and you realize that so much can change in just a couple of days that its silly to count any team out until there aren't enough games left for them to win.

We play Boston 6 times, we play Tampa six times. Gaining a game on Boston each week from here on out could get us the WC. Tampa has something like 18 games in 17 days, many against good teams. Boston is not a great team. Hot streaks come and go for each team and who says the Yanks can't do something similar to what they did after the ASG and win 8 in a row?

What's the point in being a fan if you're just going to doubt the possibility your team can win?

mycroft
08-26-08, 11:53 AM
These kinds of posts are silly. I've had some expressing my lack of confidence in this team, but usually after a bad loss or something when I was ticked off. Then reality sets in and you realize that so much can change in just a couple of days that its silly to count any team out until there aren't enough games left for them to win.

We play Boston 6 times, we play Tampa six times. Gaining a game on Boston each week from here on out could get us the WC. Tampa has something like 18 games in 17 days, many against good teams. Boston is not a great team. Hot streaks come and go for each team and who says the Yanks can't do something similar to what they did after the ASG and win 8 in a row?

What's the point in being a fan if you're just going to doubt the possibility your team can win?

Well, for me, this was born out of frustration. We have stunk it up for so long in so many ways that trying to be optimistic is getting harder every day. I got tired of it last year and this year is even worse because as bad as our position was this time last year we only had to focus on one team, the sawks. Now it is Tampa, the sawks and whoever in the central, 3 teams instead of one. There is no excuse for being in this position to begin with yet that is all I hear, excuses. Boston and Tampa are weathering injuries so there is no excuse there. We have to win every game now because every loss makes it that much harder. Ridiculous.

Ynkcpt23
08-26-08, 12:02 PM
Well, for me, this was born out of frustration. We have stunk it up for so long in so many ways that trying to be optimistic is getting harder every day. I got tired of it last year and this year is even worse because as bad as our position was this time last year we only had to focus on one team, the sawks. Now it is Tampa, the sawks and whoever in the central, 3 teams instead of one. There is no excuse for being in this position to begin with yet that is all I hear, excuses. Boston and Tampa are weathering injuries so there is no excuse there. We have to win every game now because every loss makes it that much harder. Ridiculous.

I can relate to the frustration--this team has underperformed badly, regardless of the injuries. Listen, we can place blame wherever you want to, and some of the rap has to be against the players. This one isn't in the books yet, so I am doing my damndest to stick with it until it's mathematically impossible. That said, we lose 2 out of 3 to the Bandwagoners and the fat lady will officially be in warm up mode.

brosiusbuddy
08-26-08, 01:41 PM

Yeah, they've stunk. But after all that stinking, the fact is that there are still good players on the team and still enough games to make something happen. So my point is, you've made it through almost 5 months, why give up now? Wait til its over to complain if they don't make it. Theres not much else to discuss in the offseason until about January anyways.

newyorkyankees6
08-26-08, 01:44 PM
regardless if the Yankees make the playoffs they don't look like a playoff team and will probably get eliminiated in the first round, they would play the Angels right?

BRNXBMRS
08-26-08, 02:01 PM
You cant write the Yanks off when they are 5 games out of the WC on 8/26. Hang in there we are all frustrated.

brosiusbuddy
08-26-08, 02:07 PM
regardless if the Yankees make the playoffs they don't look like a playoff team and will probably get eliminiated in the first round, they would play the Angels right?

I'm just curious. If thats how you feel, why even bother with the Yanks at all. Why watch the games and why spend time on this site?

I'm not picking on you, I'm just reeeeally curious.

BRNXBMRS
08-26-08, 02:15 PM

Bring on the Angels, I would love that.

Hellsing
08-26-08, 02:20 PM
Hang in there we are all frustrated.

Not all of us. Do I want them to win? Certainly. Am I gloomy when they lose or under perform? No. Don't let it ruin your day.

BRNXBMRS
08-26-08, 02:40 PM
Not all of us. Do I want them to win? Certainly. Am I gloomy when they lose or under perform? No. Don't let it ruin your day.

It doesnt ruin my day, but no doubt its frustraiting watching the yanks not hitting and playing like garbage.

NelsonMuntz
08-26-08, 03:08 PM
You cant write the Yanks off when they are 5 games out of the WC on 8/26. Hang in there we are all frustrated.
Normally I would agree with you but I just do not believe that our current rotation is strong enough to faciliate long winning streaks. If Joba was healthy, maybe. But I can't see Rasner, Ponson and Pavano being consistent enough to give the team a realistic chance to win every game they pitch.

BRNXBMRS
08-26-08, 03:23 PM
Normally I would agree with you but I just do not believe that our current rotation is strong enough to faciliate long winning streaks. If Joba was healthy, maybe. But I can't see Rasner, Ponson and Pavano being consistent enough to give the team a realistic chance to win every game they pitch.

Why dont you just rain on my parade ;)

mjdlight
08-26-08, 03:40 PM
Bring on the Angels, I would love that.

The one advantage the Yankees would have is that no one, absolutely no one, including almost all of their own fans, will give them a chance in hell against the Angels.

For the first time in a long time, they will be complete and total underdogs heading into the playoffs. Maybe that takes some pressure of them. Maybe that gives them a sense of "us vs. the world" If nothing else, it would be interesting to see how they play as total underdogs.

NelsonMuntz
08-26-08, 03:41 PM
Why dont you just rain on my parade ;)
If anything I admire your optimism. At the end of the day I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

goin for 27
08-27-08, 09:39 AM

Because you love your team? Folks who only root for a team that can win are fair weather.

I am not naive enough to think that the Yanks can win this year. Forget the injuries, they have played uninspired ball all year, and have rarely shown any signs of life. I have come to grips that we are going to miss the post season, but tune in every night. Still will, even after they are mathematically out of it. Maybe I will see some talent after the call ups next week. I will still see some great plays, and still see baseball. I don't have patience for folks who will simply tune out. Root until the end, but no problem understanding it is just not happening.

TZeruk
08-27-08, 09:53 AM
E#

Beast
08-27-08, 12:59 PM
http://www.nomaas.org/images/AndySings.jpg

I Heart Jeter
08-27-08, 01:03 PM
You know the nearer your destination...

effdamets
08-27-08, 01:16 PM
Awful thought process... once again....

Nettles
08-27-08, 01:37 PM
Worse things can happen in life than seeing my team miss the playoffs.

Look, this is far from the first time for me. The Yankees missed every year from 1982 to 1993. That consitutes most of my adolescence and a sizable chunk of my early adult years. It happens. The earth will continue to rotate daily!

I will still root for the Yankees, because they are my team. But if they lose either of the next two against Boston, I will officially lose hope for them to make the playoffs this year. Does that make me a bad fan? I don't think so. Just realistic.

If they are eliminated, and they have a chance to knock out Boston during the last weekend, I will be excited about the possibility, as my Red Sox hatred does not abate during dry Yankee spells.

There is always next year!

Go Yankees!

RI Dawg
08-27-08, 02:42 PM
Worse things can happen in life than seeing my team miss the playoffs.

Look, this is far from the first time for me. The Yankees missed every year from 1982 to 1993. That consitutes most of my adolescence and a sizable chunk of my early adult years. It happens. The earth will continue to rotate daily!

I will still root for the Yankees, because they are my team. But if they lose either of the next two against Boston, I will officially lose hope for them to make the playoffs this year. Does that make me a bad fan? I don't think so. Just realistic.

If they are eliminated, and they have a chance to knock out Boston during the last weekend, I will be excited about the possibility, as my Red Sox hatred does not abate during dry Yankee spells.

There is always next year!

Go Yankees!

I agree with this 100% -- only difference for me that my childhood spanned 82' to 93', lol.

Eldee5
08-27-08, 03:36 PM
I've really maintained a positive attitude through everything that's happened this season but last night's loss just added me to the bridgejumpers. It's just not happening this year. I envision the Yanks getting swept by the Sox in the Bronx just like the Yanks did to them at Fenway in '06. Final nail in the coffin. :( I just don't think this particular team has a comeback run in them.

I'll still be watching because the Yanks are my team and baseball is the sport I love more than any other but I think this season has already "slip slid" away. Next season will look better.

ppa79
08-27-08, 03:41 PM
At least this disaster of a season will be over soon.

montrealer
08-27-08, 03:51 PM
At least this disaster of a season will be over soon.

Yeah......So the Trainwreck of the Off-season can rear it`s ugly head with all the BS that will be going in here.................This will be known as the "The Year of the Flying Pigs"

yankeesrule2000
08-27-08, 08:54 PM
Season is over.

Guiseppe Franco
08-27-08, 08:56 PM
Curtains.

Fork.

Fat Lady.

yankeeman61
08-27-08, 09:01 PM
Been seeing this coming since May. Still watching this slo-mo train wreck and it's sad but at least it's almost over

Abe Frohman
08-27-08, 09:07 PM
Ok ... 2008 is definitely over . But do they have to look this bad ? The Bosox have

been making us look bad not only on the field but also as far as organizational

decisions since 2004. This team needs an overhaul ... HUGE offseason approaching.

montrealer
08-27-08, 09:11 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/montrealer07/2.jpg

The Q Bomb
08-27-08, 09:13 PM
"...sliding..."? I think the operative word is slid.

The Q Bomb
08-27-08, 09:14 PM
Ok ... 2008 is definitely over . But do they have to look this bad ? The Bosox have

been making us look bad not only on the field but also as far as organizational

decisions since 2004. This team needs an overhaul ... HUGE offseason approaching. So true... so sad. Show some fight, damnit! Yanks look like patsies.

YanksFanTillDeath
08-27-08, 09:15 PM
RIP bunch of overpaid ....