PDA

View Full Version : Why I Embraced Islam

MUSLIM
07-13-01, 10:57 PM
I was born on December 2, 1959 as Seventh Day Adventist (SDA), one of the thousand branches in Christendom. I was a former Evangelist of the Seventh Day Adventist. Since childhood until I became Muslim in 1981, I had been a devoted SDA.

MY FATHER’S BACKGROUND
My father was a former member of the ILAGA and of the CHDF (Civilian Home Defense Force) formed by a former dictator, President Ferdinand Edralin Marcos. ILAGA is the name given to a group (Cult) of Christians who are trained to grab the land and annihilate Muslims in Southern Philippines. ILAGA members believe that they have an invisible bulletproof vest and some believe bullets do not hit them. They used to cut and roast the right ear of their victims, then eat. Then, they make ashes of the remaining roasted ears and fill their amulet perfume-liquid bottles with them. The ILAGA members believe that the more Muslims they can kill, the more power they will have possessed.

BRAINWASHING IN CHILDHOOD
In childhood I was indoctrinated (brainwashed) that Muslims are pagans. We believe that Muslims are warlike people, traitors, happy to kill non-Muslims, lawless, and all negative attributes of humanity are in the Muslims’ doctrines. Actually, when I was a Christian I did not know the difference between Islam, Muslim, and Moros—I believed they were all synonymous with paganism. What I knew about Muslims was that they were pagans and idiots!

PERSONAL BACKGROUND
I was brought up in the conservative Christian educational institutions. In my early days of childhood we were trained to open the Bible quickly and explain the meaning of the text day and night. We were also trained to deliver speeches in the pulpit as smart as we could. In my youth, I conducted countless Ministerial works in the Seventh Day Adventist Churches. I studied at Southern Mindanao Academy, Managa, Davao del Sur; Matutum View Academy, Tupi, South Cotabato; Notre Dame of General Santos City; Forest Hills Academy, Bayugan 1, Agusan del Sur; in college at Silliman University, Dumaguete City. Silliman University was founded and supported by Protestant American philanthropists, a sister University of the UNIVERSITY OF PHILIPPINES (UP). I got a degree in Bachelor of Arts, major in Speech and Theatre, and a junior college degree in Mass Communication. In my youth I was a battalion commander in paramilitary training, Senior Students’ president, Kabataang Baranggay chairman, Science Club President, Sabbath School Superintendent.

TRAINING GROUND
In 1981, I was trained extensively in Pagadian City, Philippines how to preach Christianity, particularly in Muslim community, and sell medical books under the banner of Adventism. Later with groups we were assigned in Zamboanga City: house-to-house and office-to-office approach, rigidly. Our main targets were to gather money and to spread our doctrines or to convert the Muslims into Christianity (Adventism). Even today there are Christian Institutions in the heart of the Muslim community in Mindanao whose main motive is to Christianize the Muslims gradually.

FIRST ENCOUNTER
One day in Zamboanga City, I was assigned at the Al-Malin Shipping Line Office, district of Santa Barbara, to do our jobs, where I met my first encounter with a Muslim intellectual. His name is Najeeb Razul Fernandez, formerly Samuel Fernandez, who was also a former Seventh Day Adventist-Evangelist. We discovered later that we were neighbors during our childhood, and our parents and his uncle’s family (Memong Fernandez) were close friends and neighbors.

PROPER ENCOUNTER
I introduced myself to Mr. Najeeb Razul Fernandez. He warmly welcomed me and asked my purpose of visiting his office. He was a liaison officer that time at Al-Malin Shipping Line Office. He asked me, “Are you Seventh Day Adventist?” Yes, of course! Do you believe in Jesus Christ? Of Course! We would not be a Seventh Day Adventist, unless we believe and follow Jesus Christ! He continued, “your religion is Seventh Day Adventist, was Jesus Christ a Seventh Day Adventist? I knew that if I answer “yes”, the next question; “can you show me in your Bible that Jesus Christ was a Seventh Day Adventist?” I knew well that there is no passage in the Bible that it mentions that Jesus Christ was an Adventist! I was shocked at the question, because in my experience I never encountered such question in my life. I tried my best to ignore his question, and I talked things which were not related to his question. He repeated the question direct to my eyes, and said; “if you could not answer that question, please bring that question to your team leader and tell me his response.”

SHOCKING REVELATION
Then he related to me the true name and life of Jesus Christ u whose name is Iesa Al-Maseh ibn Maryam in the Muslim world. Iesa was a prophet and messenger of God. The religion of the Muslims and the prophets of Allaah is Islam. And in fact the prophets of Allaah (God) were Muslims. Islam teaches: Day of Resurrection, Judgment Day, Paradise, Hell-Fire, Angels, Prophethood, Morals, Divine Books, etc. all these words were like thunderbolts that awakened me from a deep sleep! After I heard those words I did convey them to my team leader, and I did ask him what was the religion of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus Christ. He did not answer, instead I received warning not to talk to Mr. Fernandez or I will be excommunicated. My team leader’s reaction had pushed me to investigate what Islam is and sowed doubts to my belief being a Seventh Day Adventist. If really my belief is the true one, I should not be afraid to deal with other religions!

I did not heed his warning. Again I went to Mr. Fernandez, then he asked me “DID JOSEPH, MARY, THE 12 DISCIPLES WORSHIP JESUS CHRIST AS GOD, AS YOU SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS DO TODAY?” I turned speechless. I went back to our quarter in Zamboanga City, and debated with my team leader! At that moment after our confrontation, our team leader immediately ordered me to pack up my things and leave. That time I could not accept that I was a Muslim. My team leader and our whole group branded me that I became a Muslim and not fit to do our task in Muslim community. With tears and confusion, I was forced to leave my SDA companions. From that time it became my turning point to research ISLAM and become a Muslim few months later in Isabela, Basilan.

I never ever thought that Muslims believe in God, as well as the above mentioned. What I had believed before was that Muslims are people who are doomed to Hell-Fire. Some non-Muslims believe that Muslims are like rats, a menace to a developed and peaceful society, and that is why some countries have done ethnic cleansing and
deprived them of human rights: such as in Bosnia, Kosova, Kashmir, Chechnya, Mindanao, and the occupied territory in Israel originally belonging to Palestinians. A wellknown saying in my native land: “A GOOD MUSLIM IS A DEAD MUSLIM.”
Today, Alhamdulillaah, I am prepared and more than willing to face any Christian scholars to debate or discuss theologically, academically, intellectually any subject in the Bible that contradicts the teachings of Islam.

for more information
http://www.alsyf.com/islam

b-ball-lunachick
07-13-01, 11:27 PM
ummm, I apologize for my lack of sobriety at the moment, but ummm...are you a Yankee fan? :D ....uhhh...Welcome (I think)!! ;) :D

DW Fan
07-13-01, 11:42 PM
:lol: Luna
Good question? :lol:
Do you worship Derek Jeter and company? :ga-ga:

JeanC
07-14-01, 11:40 AM
Welcome Yankee Fan I think!?!

RubixCube
07-14-01, 03:43 PM
Umm...I guess I should say welcome...and Salam Allaykum....I guess. ....
Go Yankees!

Winger03
07-14-01, 04:20 PM
Welcome aboard, I guess..... :confused: :confused:

SkooterPhil#10
07-14-01, 09:49 PM
Like woah...

bagger015
07-15-01, 07:14 PM
:cool: Welcome and to each his own. :cool: :p

allybear
07-15-01, 09:04 PM
Welcome! I hope you're also a Yankee fan, although your story was very interesting.

Keep smiling and enjoy...:)

cman
07-16-01, 01:20 AM
Welcome sir, but do the words " Baseball " or " Yankees " make an apperance in your story? I didnt see them.

FYI, there is a great message board system at CNN.COM. Might be more of what your looking for.

:cool:

PinstripePride
07-16-01, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by b-ball-lunachick
ummm, I apologize for my lack of sobriety at the moment, but ummm...are you a Yankee fan? :D ....uhhh...Welcome (I think)!! ;) :D
LMAO:lol: :lol:
Ummmm...hi.

Eddie160
07-16-01, 06:30 PM
Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatulla ! Good article I can relate being a converted Muslim myself I understand where you're coming from.

foozball
07-17-01, 03:03 AM
Asalamualaykum....

Being muslim myself, what exactly does your post have to do with the Yankees? If you're trying to do dawah, you might want to actually get to know the people here first. Logically, most people listen to someone that actually holds credibility rather than some 1st come preacher.

Just my opinion.:confused:

YanksRockMan
07-18-01, 02:22 PM
Welcome!!

IrishDancer
07-18-01, 04:12 PM
Being a Roman Catholic, I have learned that, in the history of my church, we have frequently been at war with Muslims or, as they sometimes called themselves, Moors.
However, we do not believe that because a person is Muslim he or she is automatically doomed to Hell.
We believe in two types of heresy: intentional and unintentional. Intentional heresy is when a person KNOWS that the Catholic Church is the one, true church, but continues to preach or profess a different religion.
Unintentional heresy is when the person in question does NOT believe that the Catholic church is the one true church, and therefore believes, preaches, or professes to, a different religion.
In the case of unintentional heresy, so long as the person truly believes that they are doing the right thing, and they live a good life, but then die a non-Catholic, then they will go to Limbo.
Limbo, we believe, is a place very like Heaven, except that God is not there.
We also believe in Baptism by desire. For example; If a person believes in all the truths of the Catholic faith, and has a firm intention to be baptized as soon as possible, but is killed or dies before this happens, then he or she WILL go to Heaven, because of their intention of being baptized.
Neither does a person being of another faith keep us from being friendly to that person! My best friend, for example, is Jewish, and I have many Protestant friends as well.
I look foreward to many interesting theological discussions with you!
And, lastly, welcome to this board! :)

DandyRandy48
07-18-01, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by SkooterPhil#10
Like woah...

ditto!

PinstripePride
07-26-01, 10:11 AM
Like woah... :lol: :lol:

Gehrig
07-27-01, 09:42 AM
:drool:

Huh...

Let me try reading that again...

uuuhhhh......

:drool:

NetShrine.com
07-27-01, 09:45 AM
You had me on "I was born on."

OK, just a little Jerry McGuire joke.

DandyRandy48
07-29-01, 08:07 PM
Couldn't we have just said hi like other people?

SkooterPhil#10
07-29-01, 08:53 PM
What an EFFING weirdo!! :lol: That was his one and only post. Why would someone need to propagate their religion like this? I wonder how he found this site, being such a weirdo!:p :O

O'Neill Fan
07-30-01, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by NetShrine.com
You had me on "I was born on."

OK, just a little Jerry McGuire joke.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SkooterPhil#10
09-15-01, 09:20 PM
Yipes, was that bin Laden???

:scared:

bbking
09-21-01, 10:13 AM
Is that how a Muslim converts Christians to their faith? Pathetic little liar :mad: :mad: :mad:

bbking
:NY:

Bernie51
09-23-01, 08:14 PM
uuhhhhh....this is bronx-bombers.com not lets-bomb-the-afghans.com

Jersey Yankee
09-24-01, 11:47 PM
There's one in every crowd. I guess this guy/gal & TT deserve each other, no? :cool:

JY

afsargent
09-25-01, 05:29 PM
Welcome. I think.
As a christian and an avid bible reader I have to reply to IrishDancer. Yes as a Roman Catholic, any non-christians are going to Hell. Only in our salvation through the blood of Jesus are you saved and going to heaven and be with the Father. In reading of the Holy Bible you can find where the muslim lineage comes from, Abraham's wife Sarai servant Hagar's son Ishmael. When Hagar fled from Sarai or Sarah, she encounterd the angel of the Lord and told her,"go back to your mistress and submit to her." The angel added, "I will so increase your descendants that they will be too numerous to count." The angel of the Lord also said to her:
"You are now with child and you will have a son. You shall call him Ishmael, for the Lord has heard of your misery. He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone's hand will be against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers."
Genesis 16:10-12
This is a good place to start if you want to know where read about the beginning of these conflicts between the Arabs and Jewish nations.

2JAY
10-03-01, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Bernie51
uuhhhhh....this is bronx-bombers.com not lets-bomb-the-afghans.com I'm having problems finding the bomb the Afghans site...........can you post a link?:D

mikeyT
10-03-01, 01:50 PM
What a freak. Umm...I think someone pulled an MSG here and made a new scren name to say something that they'd get flamed for, so we won't know who it is :rolleyes:

PalmerGA
10-05-01, 06:33 AM
Well.... I am a Protestant Christian who loves God and accepts Jesus Christ as my Savior. It doesn't get any better than that!

Welcome!

Stick Michael
10-05-01, 11:06 AM
I went to Catholic school for twelve years and am thoroughly convinced that it's full of (expletive). Any faith or religion that scares people into following them by proclaiming that any and all nonpracticers will suffer a terrible fate is not worth adhering to. Religion isn't something you can be coerced into believing, it's something that one to has believe according to their perception of the truth. Sure...you can follow all that "God will forsake you if you eat a cheeseburger during a Friday in Lent" nonsense but unless you really believe that in your heart when you're forced to accept your own mortality it will do you no good.

The closest thing I've seen to God is the Yankees. Amen to that!

James

Jersey Yankee
10-05-01, 05:44 PM
All I'll say is that anyone can follow any religion they feel like it, so long as they are willing to understand that the next person can follow their own religion. I won't say that Islam, Catholicism, Judaism, being a Protestant or anything else is good or bad. You could be a monk for all I care. As long as you strongly believe in it and abide by its teachings, that's all that matters.

I don't believe that any single religion is "right" whereas others are "wrong", since one person's God (or G-d) isn't the next person's. There are people of all religions trying to lay guilt trips on people that other religions are wrong. That's probably to do more with the individual than anything else, since I don't see why anyone needs to be coerced into a specific religion.

I'm happy to say I've known avid and dedicated followers of all of the above and none of them try forcing me into their religion. I feel that others should try the same and see how it feels.

JY

#1PaFan
10-05-01, 06:05 PM
You'll get an "Amen" from me too on that, James.

This seems like a good place for some quotes from Mr. Carlin.

"I credit that eight years of grammar school with nourishing me in a direction where I could trust myself and trust my instincts. They gave me the tools to reject my faith. They taught me to question and think for myself and to believe in my instincts to such an extent that I just said, "This is a wonderful fairy tale they have going here, but it's not for me."George Carlin, in the New York Times, August 20, 1995

Instead of school busing and prayer in schools, which are both controversial, why not a joint solution? Prayer in buses. Just drive these kids around all day and let them pray their ................n' empty little heads off.
-- George Carlin, Brain Droppings

We created god in our own image and likeness!
-- George Carlin (source unknown)

In the Bull................ Department, a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman. 'Cause I gotta tell you the truth, folks. When it comes to bull................, big-time, major league bull................, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bull................ story ever told.
Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you.
He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bull................ story. Holy ................!
-- George Carlin Politically Incorrect, May 29, 1997

IrishDancer
10-05-01, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Stick Michael
I went to Catholic school for twelve years and am thoroughly convinced that it's full of (expletive). Any faith or religion that scares people into following them by proclaiming that any and all nonpracticers will suffer a terrible fate is not worth adhering to. Religion isn't something you can be coerced into believing, it's something that one to has believe according to their perception of the truth. Sure...you can follow all that "God will forsake you if you eat a cheeseburger during a Friday in Lent" nonsense but unless you really believe that in your heart when you're forced to accept your own mortality it will do you no good.

The closest thing I've seen to God is the Yankees. Amen to that!

James

Firstly: If you read my first post on this thread, you will note what I said about the Church's teaching on who will go to Heaven/Hell.

Secondly: It isn't just Lent, it is all year that we are supposed to abstain from meat on Fridays. If we don't, then we can do another penance (in my case, I scrub the floor around the catbox or something- :barf: )

I hope you won't take this personally-I don't mean to offend anyone. I just thought that I would type this up because I don't want people to think badly of my faith . :)

Stick Michael
10-05-01, 08:08 PM
I didn't mean to direct my post at you, Irish Dancer, so if it sounded that way I apologize as that was not my intention. Moreover, I apologize if I came across as antireligious. Personally, I believe in god as much in as I believe there's a creator of life but I just haven't found an organized religion that puts its money where its mouth is. But then again that's just me...to each their own. The bottom line is this: as long as your persuit of happiness doesn't come at the expense of anyone else you can do whatever you want, at least as far as I'm concerned.

James

Jersey Yankee
10-05-01, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Stick Michael
The bottom line is this: as long as your persuit of happiness doesn't come at the expense of anyone else you can do whatever you want, at least as far as I'm concerned.

JamesHear, hear!!!

ConnYankee
10-27-01, 11:31 PM
Sure pal. Anything you say.
Organized religion. The biggest scam in history.

PinstripePride
11-06-01, 08:34 PM
Yipes, was that bin Laden???

:scared:
LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

NYYFAN
11-06-01, 10:38 PM
Do new members go through a metal detector...

It's a JOKE, dont kill me!! :D

YanksRockMan
11-07-01, 04:02 PM
This post has suddenly turned from a kind welcome to discrimination of all MUSLIMS. I doubt MUSLIM is with Osama bin Laden. This post has been way out of control, so I am going to close it.