PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Opener April 16 Vs Indians

CT-Yankee
08-14-08, 06:50 PM
The new stadium will open a little later than this year which was March 31. Maybe that is a good sign! Let's hope those of us with ticket plans get some info soon!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-newstadiumopeners&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dannman103
08-14-08, 07:33 PM
Sabathia vs. Cliff Lee?

-tz
08-14-08, 07:36 PM
Sabathia vs. Cliff Lee?Been reading Abraham (http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/08/14/make-your-plans-2009-opener-on-april-16/)? ;)

Damon(MVP)
08-14-08, 07:38 PM
Lee vs Texiera?, its going to be nice having another player other than ARod hit 40 plus home runs with a batting average over .300

-tz
08-14-08, 07:39 PM
Lee vs Texiera?, its going to be nice having another player other than ARod hit 40 plus home runs with a batting average over .300Don't count your free agents before they're signed ... nor your new signees before they've played a season in New York. ;)

SI Baseballman
08-14-08, 07:44 PM
Sabathia vs. Cliff Lee?

Well it might be his turn in the rotation if you skip the 5th starter. Assuming Monday-Sat-Thurs.

Mets get their opener 2 days earlier against the Padres.

NYYRules#1
08-14-08, 07:50 PM
Wait, so after the Yanks aren't allowed to close out the 2008 season at YS, we aren't allowed to open up the 2009 season at NYS either? I figured MLB was giving the Mets the ability to close out their season at Shea since they'd give the Yanks the ability to open up the 2009 season at NYS, but apparently not.

This is unbelievable. Plus, why have the two openers so close together? And why have Citi open on a Tuesday and NYS open on a Thursday? NYS should be opening the entire MLB season, like Nationals Park did this year, and then Citi Field should open the next Friday, if you ask me. It's like they put zero thought into this.

CT-Yankee
08-14-08, 07:54 PM
I read the season will start later - Apr5 - so the Yanks will probably have a 7-10 day road trip to open. Hope we get the Angels out of the way then! Texeira in Anaheim as a Yankee??

nhyankeefan
08-14-08, 07:56 PM
Wait, so after the Yanks aren't allowed to close out the 2008 season at YS, we aren't allowed to open up the 2009 season at NYS either? I figured MLB was giving the Mets the ability to close out their season at Shea since they'd give the Yanks the ability to open up the 2009 season at NYS, but apparently not.

This is unbelievable. Plus, why have the two openers so close together? And why have Citi open on a Tuesday and NYS open on a Thursday? NYS should be opening the entire MLB season, like Nationals Park did this year, and then Citi Field should open the next Friday, if you ask me. It's like they put zero thought into this.

I think the Mets got to close out the season at Shea because the All Star game was at Yankee Stadium. But I don't understand why both teams have to wait so long to open up their new stadiums.

NYYRules#1
08-14-08, 07:59 PM
This better be a night game, or tons of Yankee fans, such as most Yankee fans who work or go to school (in other words, the vast majority of the fanbase), won't be able to watch it. Only the most diehard fans would take a vacation day or skip classes just to watch it on TV - I'm willing to skip classes to watch it, but I know most casual fans certainly aren't. And I certianly don't think the Yankees, MLB, or any of us want tons of people to be unable to see NYS open because they have to live their daily lives.

This is an absolute joke. Why not open it up a day later, on a Friday night, at least? And why open NYS when the Mets are home duirng their first series at Citi Field? None of this makes sense.

MdPucks
08-14-08, 08:02 PM

Perhaps because MLB got raked over the coals the last couple of seasons over-scheduling northern/non-dome home openers (30 degree rain for YS Opening Day, Cleveland blizzard 2 years ago, etc). The Red Sox have opened on the road something like 15 of the last 20 years for this very reason. Every seat will be sold to both new stadiums next season so MLB isn't worried about the Mets and Yankees playing at home at the same time like they have in the past.

There's also the question of giving both stadiums more time to get the finishing touches completed. The Nationals new stadium was declared fit by fire marshalls hours before it opened. Even with a likely exhibition game or two I know for a fact that the Nationals intentionally sold only 65-75% of the total seats to see how the infrustructure handled it.

njdhockey
08-14-08, 08:19 PM

I'm just speculating but perhaps opening NYS after a road trip to start the year has to do more with the actual construction and finishing touches being put on the new stadium than it does MLB trying to spite them. This past year the Prudential Center opened for the Devils, but they needed some extra time to finish it up, so the Devils started with an 8 game road trip (which never happens to open the season in hockey).

Ynkcpt23
08-14-08, 08:22 PM
Keep dreaming...we'll be facing Anaheim with their recently resigned 1st baseman, and CC won't be starting the game either. There's nothing wrong with hope and speculation, but I think that CC and Tex will be on other teams when we open the new stadium. Feel free to light me up if I end up being wrong! :)

-tz
08-14-08, 08:27 PM
It's just not fair for the Angels to have Tex. :(

CT-Yankee
08-14-08, 08:38 PM
Keep dreaming...we'll be facing Anaheim with their recently resigned 1st baseman, and CC won't be starting the game either. There's nothing wrong with hope and speculation, but I think that CC and Tex will be on other teams when we open the new stadium. Feel free to light me up if I end up being wrong! :)

Yeah, I am hoping we get Tex but how do you not resign with a team in SoCal ? They are a good organization, good players, etc...tough competition.

cupcollector99
08-14-08, 08:57 PM
Does the WBC have anything to do with the late start (April 5)?
Anyways, three series in warm cities/domes, (Toronto, Texas, Oakland, Tampa, Anaheim or Minnesota??) a few days off might not be a bad thing. I just hope they don't stick them in Boston or Cleveland for one of them.

hardrain
08-14-08, 09:27 PM
The Yankees open next season at Baltimore, then go to Kansas City and Tampa Bay before the home opener. No West Coast trip to start the season.

mbn007
08-15-08, 07:42 AM
I read the season will start later - Apr5 - so the Yanks will probably have a 7-10 day road trip to open. Hope we get the Angels out of the way then! Texeira in Anaheim as a Yankee??

I didn't see the preliminary schedule for 2009, but I hope we start out with a West Coast trip. I would love a 10 game set against the Angels, A's and Mariners to start the season. Get that out of the way right from ST. Then, only 1 more trip out west , maybe 2, all season long.

To bad it looks like that won't be the case.:(

hardrain
08-15-08, 07:49 AM
I didn't see the preliminary schedule for 2009, but I hope we start out with a West Coast trip. I would love a 10 game set against the Angels, A's and Mariners to start the season. Get that out of the way right from ST. Then, only 1 more trip out west , maybe 2, all season long.

To bad it looks like that won't be the case.:(

It's not going to be that. The sked has the Yanks opening in Balt-KC-TB...then back to NY - that's what it is.

http://www.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080814&content_id=1452065&oid=36019&vkey=4

BRNXBMRS
08-15-08, 07:59 AM
I am happy to see the Home Opener is against an old school team like Cleveland.

R.V.47
08-15-08, 08:04 AM

Also happy to see we wont be opening the season at home in 30 degree temps. Better to start on the road.

yankeebot
08-15-08, 08:09 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if both the Yankees and Mets requested the home opener be pushed back as far as possible to allow them the maximum amount of time to handle all the last minute details involved with opening the new stadiums.

Yankee Fan in Boston
08-15-08, 09:22 AM
Also happy to see we wont be opening the season at home in 30 degree temps. Better to start on the road.

Agreed. The games aren't the same in the freezing temps, and there is more of a chance of injury. I wish they never started the season in NY

ymike673
08-15-08, 10:38 AM
Neither the Yankees or Mets are opening the season at home. I would guess this was done to make sure both new Stadiums will be ready by opening day. Most teams tend to open their new ball park after an opening road trip for the same reason. Since this is the first time 2 teams in the same city opened new parks in the same season I would guess the schedule was planned this way for that reason.

iWant27
08-15-08, 10:46 AM
Lee vs Texiera?, its going to be nice having another player other than ARod hit 40 plus home runs with a batting average over .300

Its Tex's contract year and he is not hitting those numbers this year , what makes you think he will hit them once he gets his big contract .

I hope Yankees dont sign him . I'd rather have Manny .

iWant27
08-15-08, 10:47 AM

I am happy its not against Boston . Too many stupid sox fans at the stadium .

TheJobaRules
08-15-08, 12:58 PM
Hopefully I'll be there. Second year with the Sunday plan and I'm on the fence about renewing. The prices are insane and probably only going to get worse with the new stadium.

RI Dawg
08-15-08, 01:44 PM
I would love to get tickets to opening game -- hopefully it's offered in one of those flex plan packages (6 game ones) that they do -- I know they had it this year....