PDA

View Full Version : Will Abreu be back next year?

nyyfanatic85
08-02-08, 10:45 PM
What do you think? I want him back.

NZ NYY Fan
08-02-08, 10:51 PM
He's on a hot streak right and reminding us of how good he can be. He has also been maddeningly frustrating at times this year.

I think it depends how he performs down the stretch

Mark19
08-02-08, 10:52 PM
The only way we take him back is if we either get him on a 2-year deal or get a dramatic pay cut

CT-Yankee
08-02-08, 10:54 PM
I am on the fence. I do like Bobby but I guess it depends on the contract. The team seems to win when he's hitting so I don't underestimate his value. He takes a lot of pitches, lot of RBIs, doubles, he is tough to double up, good two strike hitter and he seems to have a little more power this yr. There is a lot to like but if we can mix in a couple younger position players, then I'd be for it.

YanksFan1992
08-02-08, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 year deal, if he would accept it.

He's been pretty good this year and without him we would have to sign another outfielder (we can't possibly stick with Nady, Melky and Damon for next year), as I can't see Austin Jackson being ready for opening day. So I would guess the Yankees re-sign him (If we don't, we'll probably go after either Dunn, Burrell or Bradley).

stupidpunchline
08-02-08, 11:30 PM
I say offer him arbitration. If he accepts it, the Yankees get him on a one-year deal and he's probably a Type-A again next winter with Jackson ready. If he declines it, he walks. Damon, Matsui, Melky and X.N.VI all need places to play.

justinvarnes
08-02-08, 11:51 PM
I have a hard time envisioning someone more valuable being available to fill that gap for 2009.

Melky has ZERO bat
Damon is old and can't play the field everyday
Matsui: I'll see your Damon and raise you an "I'm not a good outfielder anymore"
Nady is good but offensively he isn't Bobby Abreu.

Jackson's not ready and when he IS he should be taking Melky's or Dmaon/Matsui's spot (i.e. Melky to LF when Jackson takes over in CF).

Dunn - as a replacement for Abreu - seems like not the best upgrade in that he's a K machine and a horrible outfielder so we'd be losing some value in having a great #3 hitter and a decent fielder. Obviouslt Dunn's power is desirable, but he smells of a soon to be DH and that doesn't help us in RF.

Bradley? Burrell? Not sure. What are their ages? defense? offensively how do they stack up with Abreu?

My gut feeling is as long as they don't sign him to something that hampers the team when he starts declining, I think why let him go when he's been very good for the team in his time here. Can play in NY, falls right in line with the take pitches/hit to all fields with power or get your walk mentality. Has a good arm in right.

My only complaint is his lack of aggressiveness in the field. Other than that it's fear of getting saddled with a future DH, but he doesn't seem to shwo any signs of that yet.

montrealer
08-03-08, 04:05 AM
Nope.......

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-03-08, 04:46 AM
offer arbitration, if he is back for one year great, if not we get a first round pick

ajra21
08-03-08, 06:17 AM
i'd only offer a one year deal at a reduced rate, maybe with an option but i wouldn't be gutted if he turned it down.

sugmasterflex
08-03-08, 08:27 AM
With Nady in the fold I'd rather get draft picks.

In Mo I Trust
08-03-08, 08:30 AM
I'm in the offer arbitration and be happy with either the picks or Bobby on a one year deal camp.

JDPNYY
08-03-08, 08:32 AM
Will there be a RF Wall in new Yankee Stadium?

themgmt
08-03-08, 08:37 AM
Isn't there another thread that asks the same question last week?

I said Yes then, as long as he's not the 3 hitter. His power surge is encouraging as well.

nnysiny
08-03-08, 08:43 AM
it all depends how Nady does through the end of the season. its too early to make a decision

montrealer
08-03-08, 08:54 AM
You guys have to realize some team will offer him a 3-4 year deal. Good or not there are teams whom need a guy like him. We`re getting screwed on the Posada deal.....lets not make twice on signing another mid 30s player.

aeromac76
08-03-08, 08:56 AM
Offer arb, no lose situation, if he accepts, you have a solid player on a one year deal who can def contribute..

If he declines, you have the picks..

No brainer decision here, and we don't lose no matter what happens..

aeromac76
08-03-08, 08:57 AM
You guys have to realize some team will offer him a 3-4 year deal. Good or not there are teams whom need a guy like him. We`re getting screwed on the Posada deal.....lets not make twice on signing another mid 30s player.

No LTD, just offer arb. That is a one year deal or compensatory picks..
No lose situation..

rpbri2886
08-03-08, 09:03 AM
The guy is fifth in the league in RBI's, so he is having a great season, even if spome don't see it. I would love to have him.back, but if he keeps up this level of production, we will be competing with many other suitors.

montrealer
08-03-08, 09:10 AM
The guy is fifth in the league in RBI's, so he is having a great season, even if spome don't see it. I would love to have him.back, but if he keeps up this level of production, we will be competing with many other suitors.

No doubt......anyway the ball is in the Yanks court.

montrealer
08-03-08, 09:11 AM
The only way we take him back is if we either get him on a 2-year deal or get a dramatic pay cut
Ain`t going to happen. Gotta remember there are Idiot GM`s out there.

BRNXBMRS
08-03-08, 09:13 AM
He'll be back in the form of Xavier Nady. This is going to be Abreu's last big contract. Someone wil overpay. He is going to be on his decline, I say let him walk.

surge511
08-03-08, 09:15 AM
I think this is part of the reason why we got Nady. Abreu is probably going to want a 3 year deal big contract, and he just isn't worth it. In that case, put Nady in RF for the year, or at least until AJax is ready.

The OF definitely needs a major upgrade this offseason, somewhere. Preferably CF, because Melky just isn't cutting it. Nady-Melky-Damon offers no power.

mycroft
08-03-08, 09:18 AM

I would think Abreu will be signed for a muti-year deal. Back to back Abreu and ARod are as good a one-two punch as anyone in baseball. With Nady and Melky we have one of the best defensive outfields in baseball. Look for the Yankees to go after Texeria and dump Giambi. The interesting problem the Yankees will have next year is what to do with Matsui and Damon. One of these guys will have to go and I would think they would try to deal Matsui for a starter and keep Damon as a leadoff DH and part time left fielder. The one deal I could see changing everything is if the Yankees acquire Ichiro from Seattle but beyond that, Abreu stays. Look at his numbers. Why would they just let him go?

JDPNYY
08-03-08, 09:20 AM
I would think Abreu will be signed for a muti-year deal. Back to back Abreu and ARod are as good a one-two punch as anyone in baseball. With Nady and Melky we have one of the best defensive outfields in baseball. Look for the Yankees to go after Texeria and dump Giambi. The interesting problem the Yankees will have next year is what to do with Matsui and Damon. One of these guys will have to go and I would think they would try to deal Matsui for a starter and keep Damon as a leadoff DH and part time left fielder. The one deal I could see changing everything is if the Yankees acquire Ichiro from Seattle but beyond that, Abreu stays. Look at his numbers. Why would they just let him go?

Because he's getting old. Because he is a butcher in the OF. Because it's better to let a player go one year too early than one year too late.

montrealer
08-03-08, 09:23 AM
He'll be back in the form of Xavier Nady. This is going to be Abreu's last big contract. Someone wil overpay. He is going to be on his decline, I say let him walk.

Colour me in on this post. Yankees have to stop overpaying for older players. Time will tell if the Posada contract will bite us on the Arse...........but already I`m feeling some nibbling.

montrealer
08-03-08, 09:26 AM
Because he's getting old. Because he is a butcher in the OF. Because it's better to let a player go one year too early than one year too late.

There.......John`s said it best so far.....all of the above.

mycroft
08-03-08, 09:45 AM
You guys are killing me. Abreu is playing great ball, hitting homeruns, doing everything you could ask and you are ready to dump him. Even made a nice catch up against the wall. Well I will agree that we shouldn't give him a long term deal but if they do let him go we had better be prepared to replace him.

themgmt
08-03-08, 09:46 AM
Abreu is only 34.. He'd consider a 2 year deal with an option if he wants to win/stay with the Yankees. When Damon and Matsui are gone after next year, he can play LF in 2009/10 with Nady in Right Field. Abreu could probably play center field, no walls to worry about and not that many balls are hit to the center field walls.

wang+cano=future
08-03-08, 10:13 AM
He won't be back. Cash will offer arbitration, take the picks and go forward with Nady in RF next season.

themgmt
08-03-08, 10:21 AM
And be content with Melky in CF and Damon playing 155 games in LF? Matsui will be the permanent DH next year.

I like Abreu Damon Nady in the OF and Melky returning to the bench sparing each player once every couple of weeks and being a defensive replacement. That gives Melky 35 starts next year and then he can be the fill in fielder when one of them gets hurt.

wang+cano=future
08-03-08, 10:27 AM
And be content with Melky in CF and Damon playing 155 games in LF? Matsui will be the permanent DH next year.

I like Abreu Damon Nady in the OF and Melky returning to the bench sparing each player once every couple of weeks and being a defensive replacement. That gives Melky 35 starts next year and then he can be the fill in fielder when one of them gets hurt.

Melky's days in CF are numbered with AJax knocking on the door next year.........

themgmt
08-03-08, 10:53 AM
AJAX has 3 ABs at AAA. He is a mid to late season call up at best, and he won't be given the starting job either. I suspect he'll get called up to AAA this week though.

Yankees47
08-03-08, 11:07 AM
I would def not bring back Abreu...He will want at least 3 years at 45 Million and thats just a starting price with this market..He will be 35 next year and I honestly dont think the guy is that good anyways...Nady will return to RF next year as the starter and I think the Yankees should be in the market for a big time OF in the Trade Market this winter. I cant count on Matsui anymore, hes getting old, this is now three years in a row that the guy has been on the DL and 2 out of the 3 years he has missed most of the season..I would try to move Matsui for some prospects to stock up the farm...A-Jax is the starting CF on Opening day 2010 and may see some time in 09 but until then you have Melky as the 4th OF with Garnder as the 5th OF and Damon could play LF and DH the other half of the time. Or if you get a Matt Holiday type you can plug himi in LF, Nady in RF, Damon DH and Melky and Gardner could share CF until A Jax is ready

themgmt
08-03-08, 11:20 AM
That is a good point.. if there is better outfielder on the FA market, definitely pick him up instead. I can't think of any off hand though. Holliday would be a good trade, though they don't have the chips at the moment. If they can move Matsui for some prospect to flip that would be good, although whoever is giving up the pieces for Matsui would be better served giving up a little more to get Holliday

You can't be content with an OF of Damon-Melky-Nady next year though. Damon needs to play center next year. Melky can be his defensive replacement.

TheJobaRules
08-03-08, 11:22 AM
He has had a great year, but I doubt he'll be back with the Yanks next year. Nady looks like he could be a long term option out in right.

montrealer
08-03-08, 11:29 AM
Abreu is only 34.. He'd consider a 2 year deal with an option if he wants to win/stay with the Yankees. When Damon and Matsui are gone after next year, he can play LF in 2009/10 with Nady in Right Field. Abreu could probably play center field, no walls to worry about and not that many balls are hit to the center field walls.
This is his last shot at a long term contract..........why in Hell would he take two.......Some idiot will offer more know doubt. Don`t get me wrong......he`s still a good player but at 35 next year you`re signing a guy to a 3-4 year deal who`ll be again on the downside and mid way on a contract.

themgmt
08-03-08, 11:33 AM
Abreu isn't going to get any 5 year deals. I said he might take a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option if he wants to stay with the Yankees. If he wants a 4 year contract he can and will go elsewhere.

cupcollector99
08-03-08, 11:37 AM
He's was a great addition by Cashman and has performed well at times but his inconsistency is troubling, along with his age. His presence in the field makes runners think twice about taking the extra base after they hit a ball near the wall and he pulls up failing to make the catch.

If the price is right, I say yes but I don't worry if he goes to another team.

amartella
08-03-08, 11:46 AM
I think that the Yankees might be content to let him walk and use Nady in right field if they sign say Teixeira next year. If not, their offense would suffer to much. Keep in mind how abysmal their hitting is this year. There is no guarantee that Posada is going to be available for the full season or that he is the same player after the surgery. Matsui has the knee trouble and something on Damon is always hurt. I think they will consider something along the lines of 2 yrs $24/million for Abreu acceptable, unless they want to go the Teixeira route. My guess is that the money will be spent next year on Teixeira/Abreu and Sabathia. Every other part of the team seems ok, especially if they resign Pettitte and/or Mussina.

walesave
08-03-08, 12:02 PM
Yes! Unless the Yankees land a top-notch CF (I'm not sure if one is available )to replace Melky allowing Damon to play LF and moving Nady to right. The Yanks can't afford to lose Abreu without replacing his offensive production.

themgmt
08-03-08, 12:03 PM
I don't know why everyone is so down on Abreu, he's still a solid hitter. If my options are Melky in CF without Abreu or Abreu + Damon's in CF I go with the latter next year. It really does depend on who plan on going after in the off season and how badly Abreu wants to stay a Yankee. Texeira in 09/Holliday in '10 could change things

montrealer
08-03-08, 12:07 PM
I don't know why everyone is so down on Abreu, he's still a solid hitter. If my options are Melky in CF without Abreu or Abreu + Damon's in CF I go with the latter next year. It really does depend on who plan on going after in the off season and how badly Abreu wants to stay a Yankee. Texeira in 09/Holliday in '10 could change things

I don`t think that people are on him but just the fact that he`ll be looking for something in the same neighborhood of what he`s getting now. His stats are still great but the age thing is the problem .You can`t blame him for wanting 12-16 mil per. His stats still deserve market value.

walesave
08-03-08, 12:11 PM

I agree with you about Abreu but I'd be reluctant to go with Damon as my full time CF.

justinvarnes
08-03-08, 12:24 PM
So, if not Abreu, who would fill out the OF?

Nady/Melky/Damon? That doesn't look good offensively.

So (focusing on younger players or GREAT older players):

Dunn
Manny
Jason Michaels
Carl Crawford (is he REALLY a FA? can't imagine he is...)
Vlad
Milton Bradley
Pat Burrell

Then a bunch of so-so's: Chavez, Encarnacion, etc.

So do you they sign a young, solid player to a multi-year deal, or sign a Manny or Burrell to a short deal?

CT-Yankee
08-03-08, 09:52 PM

I'm not sure why everyones down either. The guy drives in tons of runs, gets big hits, takes pitches. Not too good on the wall but his arm is good. He's as good if not better than other options. And he seems to be well liked on the team.

philleotardo
08-03-08, 09:57 PM

Dunn
Manny
Jason Michaels
Vlad
Milton Bradley
Pat Burrell

So do you they sign a young, solid player to a multi-year deal, or sign a Manny or Burrell to a short deal?He is not.

Matsui55
08-03-08, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure why everyones down either. The guy drives in tons of runs, gets big hits, takes pitches. Not too good on the wall but his arm is good. He's as good if not better than other options. And he seems to be well liked on the team.

Abreu is also 34 years old, and his power has been fading for years.

Nady is younger, cheaper and except for the walks, will likely produce fairly similar numbers offensively. RF is also Nady's best position defensively.

In other words, Abreu's time is over in NY. He's replaceable.

One of Damon or Matsui will take LF next winter, Posada will be the DH (really, with the major shoulder surgery he had, does anyone REALLY expect him to return to anything more than part time C next year? Its not like he had a good arm before surgery, and now it will be diminished from even that level).

The Yanks will find a powerful 1B somewhere this winter- Dunn, Tex, maybe Howard and Fielder (who both apparently will be available in the trade market this winter). After that, get a younger C to put back there for 3-4 years, and the team is mostly done.

I REALLY have major doubts that Melky is back in CF next year. However, Gardner isn't the answer either, and Jackson is not going to be ready until later in 2009, if not 2010. That means that a stop-gap CF is very likely. However, that will probably be the last move the Yanks make, as 1B and C will be more pressing.

Matsui55
08-03-08, 10:08 PM

Dunn
Manny
Jason Michaels
Vlad
Milton Bradley
Pat Burrell

So do you they sign a young, solid player to a multi-year deal, or sign a Manny or Burrell to a short deal?

The Angels have an option on Vlad- he won't be on the market.

I doubt Manny ends up in NY- he would just be another DH in 2 years (and might be as soon as next year).

Bradley MIGHT be a nice short-term fill-in for CF in 2009, until Jackson is ready, but I doubt he wants a one-year deal after the season he's had- and with his past, I'm not sure giving him anything more than a one-year deal is wise.

Pat Burrell has power, but his production never seems to match his ability- I doubt that giving him a huge contract is going to inspire him to try harder.

There's no one in this group worth chasing.

Stick With Nady in RF, one of Damon or Matsui in LF (trade the other), and find a short term CF (just for 2009, or until Jackson is ready) to replace Melky.

27IsNext
08-03-08, 10:13 PM
I'd keep both Damon and Matsui, if for no other reason than the fact that one of them likely goes down with an injury at some point next year.

BRNXBMRS
08-04-08, 08:01 AM

Its not the point of being down on Abreu, its the fact he'll be 35 on the downside of his career. Its stupid for the Yanks to give 10's of millions of dollars to a 35 y/o on the wrong side of his career.

montrealer
08-04-08, 08:04 AM
Its not the point of being down on Abreu, its the fact he'll be 35 on the downside of his career. Its stupid for the Yanks to give 10's of millions of dollars to a 35 y/o on the wrong side of his career.

I hear ya.........it`s still early to see if the Posada contract is going to bite us on the arse......but it`s not looking good........

themgmt
08-04-08, 08:06 AM
Of course if you can find a young .850 OPS outfielder to fill in for 2 seasons, by all means sign him. What's the market looking like this winter?

BRNXBMRS
08-04-08, 08:34 AM
I hear ya.........it`s still early to see if the Posada contract is going to bite us on the arse......but it`s not looking good........

Not if Posada moves to 1b

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 09:18 AM

Dunn
Manny
Jason Michaels
Vlad
Milton Bradley
Pat Burrell

Vlad and Crawford have options that will almost certainly be picked up.

Jasbro
08-04-08, 09:22 AM
If the Yankees can get him to sign a 2-year deal with a team option for a 3rd, they should do it.

Yankee Tripper
08-04-08, 11:27 AM
offer arbitration, if he is back for one year great, if not we get a first round pick
Yes - I agree with this 100%.

BRONXBOMBERS06
08-04-08, 11:29 AM
I hope so, He's been on fire. More to come,,,,,,,,,,,

Lifelong Fan
08-04-08, 02:17 PM
Bobby plays over 150 games every year, has 100+ runs scored since 2004
(exception in 2006 only 98 runs). He has 100+ RBI 2004 - 2007 and most likely to top 100 RBI again in 2008. I'll take Bobby for another 2 years with a team option for the third. He's a decent base runner with nearly 25+ steals per year. His defense is far better that Damon or Matsui. Just pad the outfield fences a little more in the new stadium and we'll be set with him until 2011.

ppa79
08-04-08, 02:18 PM
The picks will be more valuable.

Yankees1962
08-04-08, 02:19 PM
The picks will be more valuable.
I don't know how you can say that about unknown draftees? Not every compensation picks will turn out to be Chamberlain and Kennedy.