PDA

View Full Version : Will NY go after Manny for 09?

fenwaybleachahs
08-01-08, 11:36 AM
Yanks fans I've talked to loathe Manny for the obvious reasons. But if the Sox are willing to give him away, will Cashman be interested in him at all? Hell, he's already got Giambi under control who could give him the same offensive production.

edit: the reason I ask is that Boston is convinced that he'll be in pinstripes next season. It's pretty hard for to me imagine that.

Rumba887
08-01-08, 11:39 AM
For goodness' sake I hope it doesn't happen. I'd rather they go for Texeira (like everyone in baseball will).

Isn't Giambi's K more or less done after this season? He and Moose I would like to see gone!

Derek2HOF
08-01-08, 11:40 AM
He can rake, but he is too old.

yankeeman61
08-01-08, 11:42 AM
Ah, yes. The second Manny thread. Watch out, Bonds!

Nome
08-01-08, 11:47 AM
Manny is going to demand a 4 year $100 million contract. At age 35 this September that's an albatross we don't need. Giambi's contract was a mistake. He never reached his Oakland numbers and Manny would be a worse mistake. We can put that money to far better use
Andy

genius-24
08-01-08, 11:55 AM
Manny is going to demand a 4 year $100 million contract. At age 35 this September that's an albatross we don't need. Giambi's contract was a mistake. He never reached his Oakland numbers and Manny would be a worse mistake. We can put that money to far better use
Andy
No way. He is too old for such a contract.

ShaneTravis
08-01-08, 11:57 AM
Check out the campaign Boston is waging against Manny. If half of the stuff reported is true how do you think that will fly here in NY?

Pushing old men to the ground,demanding trades,fights with teammates,not visiting kids from Jimmy Fund, vets on the team wanted him gone.....

Imagine if Arod did 1/10th of that...the villagers would be at the gates with torches.

Rumba887
08-01-08, 11:59 AM
Now that I think about it a little more I wouldn't mind Cash putting out a feeler for Manny. *Only* to just irk the hell out of the Boston fandom :roflmao:

webassign
08-01-08, 12:07 PM
NY will go after him, but not the Yankees.

PuffNettles9
08-01-08, 12:09 PM
#24 is NOT available in pinstripes...unless cano says so

bcom33
08-01-08, 12:10 PM
no no no no no annnnd no

THEBOSS84
08-01-08, 12:12 PM
Andy

He'll be 37 in May.

teknetic
08-01-08, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Minaya has soiled himself over the thought of Manny playing LF at Citi next year.

ppa79
I can't see the Yanks going for him. He won't work under Girardi.

Janttje
I hope not.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-01-08, 12:22 PM
No, bad fielder , (Or so I have heard. I didn't think he was so bad) old and bad personality. Me no want!

hlrjr
08-01-08, 12:24 PM
no way.

Jasbro
08-01-08, 12:26 PM
I think the previous posters who say the Mets will be in the running for Manny are absolutely correct.

I doubt if we'd make a run at him -- although we might head fake in that direction to try to influence negotiations with Texeira.

BRNXBMRS
08-01-08, 12:27 PM
get your manny mets jersey's ready

mrmike98
08-01-08, 12:27 PM
George Steinbrenner certainly would make a play for him.

Plus Manny could use a good grooming!

bcom33
08-01-08, 12:28 PM
I think the previous posters who say the Mets will be in the running for Manny are absolutely correct.

I doubt if we'd make a run at him -- although we might head fake in that direction to try to influence negotiations with Texeira.

I definitely see that happening.

DisabledMess
08-01-08, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't want Manny on the Yankees and I think Yankee management doesn't want him either. He's too much of a problem. Joe doesn't need to baby sit him.

wang+cano=future
08-01-08, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Minaya has soiled himself over the thought of Manny playing LF at Citi next year.

Which is good because maybe that will take away from their ability to sign Tex or CC...........

LeapsNbounds
08-01-08, 12:45 PM
No.

I want tex and CC or Sheets. Let Abreu go, move Nady to RF, stick Damon in Left, DH Matsui.

You have:

Damon LF
Jeter SS
Matsui DH
A-Rod 3B
Tex 1B
Cano 2B
Posada C
Nady RF
Cabrera CF

Rotation
Joba
Wang
CC / Sheets
Andy / Moose
Hughes / Kennedy

I would be fine with that.

False1
08-01-08, 12:54 PM
I like having all the players I hate in one location. That's the downside of the Manny trade for me. I don't get to root against him when the Yanks play the Sox.

But all good things must come to an end. Millar is in Baltimore. Stairs is in Toronto. And I still have Youk and Pedroia in Boston. Just gonna have to spread the love I suppose. ;)

R.V.47
08-01-08, 12:56 PM
He is gonna go to the Mets. He fits like a glove in that clubhouse.

genius-24
08-01-08, 12:57 PM
No.

I want tex and CC or Sheets. Let Abreu go, move Nady to RF, stick Damon in Left, DH Matsui.

You have:

Damon LF
Jeter SS
Matsui DH
A-Rod 3B
Tex 1B
Cano 2B
Posada C
Nady RF
Cabrera CF

Rotation
Joba
Wang
CC / Sheets
Andy / Moose
Hughes / Kennedy

I would be fine with that.
I would trade Damon. I think he has an injury waiting to happen. To many question marks surrounding his health. I would try to get a good CF this off season. Obviously melky is not an answer.

Cattledog
08-01-08, 01:01 PM
Not worth it! It would take too much of an effort from the Yankees' barbers to cut all of that hair :P !

Matrix7637
08-01-08, 01:16 PM
I would trade Damon. I think he has an injury waiting to happen. To many question marks surrounding his health. I would try to get a good CF this off season. Obviously melky is not an answer.

The Yankees aren't going to be able to deal Damon to another team very easily.

1. Too much $$$ in contract.
2. Too old.
3. Too much of an injury risk.
4. No throwing arm left.

Unless you basically give him away and pay his contract as well. The Yankees would rather pay him and play for them, rather than than trade him AND pay his contract.

TW9
08-01-08, 01:21 PM
#24 is NOT available in pinstripes...unless cano says so

OK, now that is just silly. Cano is not fit to shine Manny's shoes as a baseball player. He would give it up immediately or be coerced by ownership to do so.

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-01-08, 01:27 PM
nope, not because i have anything against him, there is simply no room for him and he is getting up there in age

ThePinStripes
08-01-08, 01:32 PM
Because we don't have enough aging veterans? We don't have enough problems, we need to import them from Boston?

At least the "problems" our players have are off the field. The last thing we need is A-rod fighting a divorce and some crap Boston threw up in the dugout.

teknetic
08-01-08, 01:41 PM
Which is good because maybe that will take away from their ability to sign Tex or CC...........

There's a remote chance they go after CC.

THEBOSS84
08-01-08, 01:43 PM
There's a remote chance they go after CC.

Remote? I'd say it's a sure thing they attempt to sign him.

ajra21
08-01-08, 02:06 PM
there is no reason to bring manny in. he's old. he'll be expensive. we have enough guys who can't field. he's a club house problem. he has stupid hair.

Masta Z
08-01-08, 02:47 PM
4 year/100 million for manny is horrible

ajra21
08-01-08, 02:48 PM
4 year/100 million for manny is horrible

yuck. who the hell would give him that?

not suggesting you think they would, by the way.

OlgMvp
08-01-08, 02:56 PM
Manny is still a fearsome hitter at the plate but won't be worth the money and length he's asking.

He plays when he wants, the enticing thing is, when he plays there's no right handed hitter who is more feared, that's what makes him so attractive. Plus he's getting up there, when will that eye and batspeed disappear where you're asking yourself the question...Is he half assing it? Or is he really finished? I myself, as a Yankee fan don't relish having to deal with that for four years, as amazing of a player as he really is. I also just don't think Cashman or Girardi would relish bringing on that kind of chore and I don't envision Hank meddling and forcing that matter...on top of that, the OF is crowded as it is, as well as the DH spot with Matsui and probably/possibly Posada. This is a flatout PASS.

ebas
08-01-08, 03:21 PM
Manny is still a fearsome hitter at the plate but won't be worth the money and length he's asking.

He plays when he wants, the enticing thing is, when he plays there's no right handed hitter who is more feared, that's what makes him so attractive. Plus he's getting up there, when will that eye and batspeed disappear where you're asking yourself the question...Is he half assing it? Or is he really finished? I myself, as a Yankee fan don't relish having to deal with that for four years, as amazing of a player as he really is. I also just don't think Cashman or Girardi would relish bringing on that kind of chore and I don't envision Hank meddling and forcing that matter...on top of that, the OF is crowded as it is, as well as the DH spot with Matsui and probably/possibly Posada. This is a flatout PASS.

Many Boston fans that I know think he's already lost significant bat speed. One sox fan told me that this year, many of Manny's convenient "aches and pains" missed games have come against starters that throw 95+. If Manny can't hit the super hard stuff now, where will he be in two years. He might be having trouble catching up to balls at 92-93. Imagine paying 25 mill for a bad fielder who's probably just a decent hitter at that point. Somebody's gonna do it though. Probably some mid market team trying to make a splash and get fannies in the seats. I don't think the Mets will be dumb enough to sign Manny for more than 2 years if they go after him. If Manny gets his 4 years it will be some mediocre team with cash burning a hole in their pockets.

Ericas367
08-01-08, 05:42 PM
god i hope not we dont need to sign anyone over the age of 32

Vin
08-01-08, 05:56 PM
I don't think the Mets will be dumb enough to sign Manny for more than 2 years if they go after him. If Manny gets his 4 years it will be some mediocre team with cash burning a hole in their pockets.

You underestimate the Mets, I think they will give him 4 years = 90+ He's a proven hitter and Mets are willing to pony up some cash based on past performance like they did with Peter. I'm still hopeful no team offers him anything over 2-3 years but it's not going to happen.

grizy
08-01-08, 05:59 PM
Pretty sure we're pretty overcrowded in the OF/DH departments already. Manny being Manny, it's doubtful he'll be much of an upgrade on a non-contract season... although he's probably gonna have two monstrous months with the Dodgers.

dkman
08-01-08, 06:03 PM
I'd rather sign Bonds right now.

Messerwhitescooter
08-01-08, 06:14 PM
I say go for Favre, T. O., and Latrell Sprewell.

Pancake
08-01-08, 06:24 PM
Well, in order for him to wear Pinstripes, he would have to shave, bathe, cut his hair and use toilet paper. Do you see him doing that? I don't.

That being said, I would not mind him in the lineup for games only against Boston. I have a feeling that he is going to be very motivated for games in the future against the Red Sox. Just a hunch.

primetime714
08-01-08, 07:03 PM
The Red Sox paid the rest of his salary for this year and gave up two major league prospects to get a lesser player in return for Manny. And this is an organization that has given him 2 championships, a ton of money, and a big fan base. If he couldn't make it work in Boston, what makes anyone think that bringing him to the Yankees would be a good idea?

We also already have 3 corner OFs (Damon, Nady, Matsui) signed for next year.

CT-Yankee
08-01-08, 10:01 PM
Check out the campaign Boston is waging against Manny. If half of the stuff reported is true how do you think that will fly here in NY?

Pushing old men to the ground,demanding trades,fights with teammates,not visiting kids from Jimmy Fund, vets on the team wanted him gone.....

Imagine if Arod did 1/10th of that...the villagers would be at the gates with torches.

I think there is some truth to the Red Sox front office using smear tactics when they are done with a player. Not official words but the rumors start to fly,etc. It has happened with most of their players. It sure sounds like that joker Lucchino or whatever his name is.

montrealer
08-02-08, 09:06 AM
Just say no to aging players.

NHYank
08-02-08, 09:36 AM
Manny is going to want a 4 yr $100 mil deal and is not worth it. His bat speed has slowed, and he has sat out against the better pitches. You might get one solid year before Manny being Manny sets in

Abe Frohman
08-02-08, 10:41 AM
Just say no to aging players.

Seriously. Do we need another Giambi type contract and production on this team ? I

know that Manny is a better hitter than Giambi but its essentially the same thing. A

Player that was once good or in this case great, yet is aging way over his prime. Hes

only gettng worse not better. we already look old enough with the squad as it is now.

Its just like fantasy baseball. This team needs to stop falling in love with names and

start looking hard into the numbers before making contractual agreements.

Nome
08-02-08, 11:04 AM
Seriously. Do we need another Giambi type contract and production on this team ? I

know that Manny is a better hitter than Giambi but its essentially the same thing. A

Player that was once good or in this case great, yet is aging way over his prime. Hes

only gettng worse not better. we already look old enough with the squad as it is now.

Its just like fantasy baseball. This team needs to stop falling in love with names and

start looking hard into the numbers before making contractual agreements.

Actually Giambi's stats were better than Mannies and Jason was only 39 when the Yanks signed him to Mannies current 36. Look at how the Giambi signing turned out
Andy

junkman73
08-02-08, 11:47 AM
Why would you want his drama? Yahoo! is reporting he begged to stay in Boston after he found out where he was going. Which is puzzling because he is 10/5. Talk about a whack job.

Just say no.

teknetic
08-02-08, 11:58 AM
Remote? I'd say it's a sure thing they attempt to sign him.

The Mets? you expect the Wilpons to pen their bank account again and sign another pitcher to an obscene contract? They have more of a need at 1B, I expect them to go after Tex more.

cupcollector99
08-02-08, 06:15 PM
In order for him to get 20mil per he needs to get NY in the equation. His agent will call Cashman and "have conversations" (like how's the weather and where is that great Asian fusion place again?) and quickly publish that he was in discussions with the Yankees office but I think it ends there.

MunsonNY15
08-02-08, 06:22 PM
Can a "please God no" choice be added to the poll???

Heidi