PDA

View Full Version : Someone tell our offense they're allowed to score before they're down a ton

brosiusbuddy
07-31-08, 09:27 PM
I'm just venting here, but its pretty pathetic that we look soooo bad on any given night. This is a team stacked with talented players and if we lose, we lose, but the way we lost 2 to Baltimore and tonight to LAA is silly. Terrible pitching and then an offense that decides to do something in the late innings.

AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Mark19
07-31-08, 09:29 PM
Come on, be reasonable, some of those pitches are thrown hard! Some of them even have movement! It isn't like they are paid to play baseball.

R.V.47
07-31-08, 09:31 PM
Most of the time in blowouts you are facing the bottom of the other teams bullpen by the end of the game so it should be expected that they can come by some cheap runs. Also, you know with a big lead they dont want to walk anybody so you will see hittable pitches.

NYYDragoon
07-31-08, 09:31 PM
There goes the theory that the bats would awaken against the Angels with the departure of Joe Torre.

Ynkcpt23
07-31-08, 10:20 PM
Come on, be reasonable, some of those pitches are thrown hard! Some of them even have movement! It isn't like they are paid to play baseball.

I know it's snark, but it still hurts...

YanksFan1992
07-31-08, 10:22 PM
I'll be sure to let them know. ;)

27IsNext
07-31-08, 10:54 PM
There goes the theory that the bats would awaken against the Angels with the departure of Joe Torre.

People actually said this?

CT-Yankee
07-31-08, 11:14 PM
I don't care it is the Angels and they are a really good team right now. When you want to be a good team, you don't give sell yourself short and have to expect to compete right there with them.
If this wasn't a pattern we have seen all year you could say the Angels are the better team. Here is how it goes - Go 3, 4 innings before you get a hit. Our starter doesn't have it, the other starter is lights out, even though he has been struggling lately, then we fall way behind and we score a few runs and everyone feels good about their stats ! blahh blahh blahh and etc etc...
I'm glad someone put this venting thread up! :) That reminds me, I need a beer!

CT-Yankee
07-31-08, 11:22 PM

Come on man! They tried reallllly, reallllly hard to get hits! That's good enough right?
You'll see, someday we are going to fill that big ballpark and finally have enough money to get some decent players!! :P

JeffWeaverFan
08-01-08, 12:15 AM
That was never a theory... The theory was that Torre, both loving how the Angels play and being a former Angel broadcaster, would try to play ultra small ball and would end up hurting us.

Ericas367
08-01-08, 01:41 AM
and how many times do we have watch Jeter hit into a double play...or turn over on a ground ball and get on base with a fielders choice..? but seriously you cant blame the offense when the pitchers is giving up..3-3Run Homeruns..

TheYankee
08-01-08, 11:42 AM
and how many times do we have watch Jeter hit into a double play...or turn over on a ground ball and get on base with a fielders choice..? but seriously you cant blame the offense when the pitchers is giving up..3-3Run Homeruns..16 times so far, good for 2nd place behind Vlad's 20.

Honestly... it feels like more.

-tz
08-01-08, 05:03 PM
You know what the trouble is? None of our hitters are "professional hitters." How often have I heard Sterling or one of the YES guys say, "So and so is a professional hitter." (Matt Stairs seems to be a favorite for this accolade.) They never say it about a Yankee, though.

I guess they're not being paid enough to be considered "professionals."

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-01-08, 05:06 PM
16 times so far, good for 2nd place behind Vlad's 20.

Always seems to come in big situations and with Jeter's reputation as being "clutch" most people dont expect him to kill rallies like he has been.

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-01-08, 05:12 PM
You know what the trouble is? None of our hitters are "professional hitters." How often have I heard Sterling or one of the YES guys say, "So and so is a professional hitter." (Matt Stairs seems to be a favorite for this accolade.) They never say it about a Yankee, though.

I guess they're not being paid enough to be considered "professionals."

The trouble is the pitching is slumping.

All of our problems have been related to pitching the last few days. In the game against Lester, Ponson got crushed. The offense didnt score much but they hit a lot of rockets right at fielders with men on base, just wasnt their night.

We would have won 2 of 3 against Baltimore if the entire pitching staff didnt suck that game Rivera gave up the homer. 5 runs or 6 runs should have been enough to win that game.

And last night Pettitte got rocked, 6 runs should be enough to win.

Moral of the story is that we are getting a string of bad performances from our pitchers. In Ponson's case it was to be expected, but i wouldnt be too worried about anybody else and we have help on the way. The offense isnt the problem and the pitching should settle in once we get some guys back.

ICEBERG18
08-01-08, 06:07 PM
16 times so far, good for 2nd place behind Vlad's 20.

Because a couple of them haven't been turned due to errors, etc.

Mark19
08-01-08, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure Alex is the best guy for the #4 slot. He strikes out 40% of the time there are men on base. He may be better off batting 3rd.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-01-08, 06:27 PM
We need Manny

TheYankee
08-01-08, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure Alex is the best guy for the #4 slot. He strikes out 40% of the time there are men on base. He may be better off batting 3rd.I've been saying that forever. It honestly doesn't make a lot of sense plugging him there any way. Need to always give him an at bat in the first inning. Always.

HelloNewman
08-01-08, 07:15 PM
You really wonder how Scioscia manages to keep from giggling in the dugout.

teknetic
08-01-08, 07:33 PM
Hard to win games when your offense doesn't score runs for your #4 starter when he pitches well, doesn't score for your best starter who happens to be a rookie, but manages to save up their runs for your worst pitcher; but not tonight when he has a shutout through 5.

/end run-on

NYYFans4Life123
08-01-08, 08:40 PM
.........and we lost.

NelsonMuntz
08-01-08, 08:43 PM
I think there might be something to this thread.

Seth
08-01-08, 09:11 PM
Disturbing stat: The last time the Yankees jumped out on top in a game was July 25th in Boston.

xenadanielle
08-01-08, 09:16 PM
Yeah. Our offense is a little, well, offensive.

CT-Yankee
08-01-08, 09:57 PM
I've been saying that forever. It honestly doesn't make a lot of sense plugging him there any way. Need to always give him an at bat in the first inning. Always.

Definitely agree! Who should be there? Abreu? I don't want Giambi there. He is so cold.

-tz
08-01-08, 10:00 PM
The trouble is the pitching is slumping. So what was the trouble tonight, then? :o

BroadwayBomber55
08-01-08, 10:01 PM
So what was the trouble tonight, then? :o
Execution and also making effective, getting the job done adjustments are the problems.

TheYankee
08-02-08, 01:53 AM
Definitely agree! Who should be there? Abreu? I don't want Giambi there. He is so cold.Ideally, if Jeter was having a normal year, I'd say Damon-Jeter-Alex-Abreu. This year I'd say Damon-Abreu-Alex-Giambi. But, since you'd never get Jeter out of the 2-hole, just plug Abreu there.

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-02-08, 04:03 AM
So what was the trouble tonight, then? :o

the offense, doesnt make my statements about the 5 games before that untrue...each game is independent of the next and unfortunately i do not possess the ability to predict the future.

NHYank
08-02-08, 09:32 AM
Ideally, if Jeter was having a normal year, I'd say Damon-Jeter-Alex-Abreu. This year I'd say Damon-Abreu-Alex-Giambi. But, since you'd never get Jeter out of the 2-hole, just plug Abreu there.[/quote]

The problem is not Jeter. It's the over rated hitters we have. ARod and Giambi cannot hit with runners in scoring position. We need professional hitters

NelsonMuntz
08-03-08, 03:54 PM
The problem is not Jeter. It's the over rated hitters we have. ARod and Giambi cannot hit with runners in scoring position. We need professional hitters
Jeter is a huge part of the problem.

brosiusbuddy
08-03-08, 04:24 PM
Ideally, if Jeter was having a normal year, I'd say Damon-Jeter-Alex-Abreu. This year I'd say Damon-Abreu-Alex-Giambi. But, since you'd never get Jeter out of the 2-hole, just plug Abreu there.
The problem is not Jeter. It's the over rated hitters we have. ARod and Giambi cannot hit with runners in scoring position. We need professional hitters[/quote]

Yeah... I wish Arod was a professional hitter....:uhh: