PDA

View Full Version : Manny in '09?

Pages : [1] 2

Slyde Slick
07-31-08, 08:46 PM
We obviously need a left fielder that can stay healthy and consistent. Yes, we have Nady now, but I kind of get the feeling he's a flash in the pan, though I hope I'm wrong.

Manny is a born and bred New Yorker (Washington Heights, natch), and his following in NY is already huge due to our high population of Dominicans (whose women I simply adore, but I digress). I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids wearing Boston hats, only to confront them and find out they love Manny (and Fat Papi for that matter) because of his (their) heritage.

That said, for anything more than 15 milly, I feel like it'll be unpalatable. But I don't think he's getting that type of dough, and especially not for the 4 years, 100 mil that Boras keeps hyping (dream on).

I don't know, having Manny open the new stadium in pinstripes would just feel like another great finger in the eye of the Sux. :D Thoughts?

nnysiny
07-31-08, 08:46 PM
surely you joust

jeterdaman
07-31-08, 08:48 PM
cool More DH's

Slyde Slick
07-31-08, 08:48 PM
surely you joust

jest? perhaps.

joust? nah, I was always more of a Galaga fan myself. :D

False1
07-31-08, 08:49 PM
Not gonna happen. Besides, if ManRam got complaint with the Yanks' grooming policies, about 85 undiscovered species of lice would be released into the world, spawning and consuming everything in their path. For the love of all that is holy, no.

YESSIR!
07-31-08, 08:50 PM
I don't think a 5 year $100million contract for a 37 year old player is going to sit too well with Cash and the FO.

montrealer
07-31-08, 08:50 PM
1st it was Damon.......Started Therapy........just as I`m getting over it ........along comes Pudge........now you want me to take Manny in Pinstripes..................just shoot me now.

Mr.Muhozi
07-31-08, 08:51 PM
aren't we complaing about the teams age already, with manny being 37 next season, it's probably for a short term deal, i would rather have a long term player in left field,

on the other hand manny is a great ball player, but he could be a clubhouse cancer, if a-rod is bad at handling new york media imagine manny im 50 50 on this

NYYDragoon
07-31-08, 08:52 PM
Nope. History aside, he's just too old. Not to mention his attitude problems.

Messerwhitescooter
07-31-08, 08:56 PM
1st it was Damon.......Started Therapy........just as I`m getting over it ........along comes Pudge........now you want me to take Manny in Pinstripes..................just shoot me now.

Bonds would put you on substances.

cupcollector99
07-31-08, 08:56 PM
Let him rot in Flushing, but I would not be suprised if Baltimore or Toronto signed him.

JCAD522
07-31-08, 08:57 PM
I wouldnt mind him in left, nady in right, and Damon in center field?

Damon
Jeter
Ramirez
Rodriguez
Giambi
Matsui
Cano
Posada
Nady

Messerwhitescooter
07-31-08, 08:58 PM
One thing about Manny. He may actually do quite well in LA with Torre, who's worked with psychos before, and these next two months will be a contract year for Manny, who is now focussed on proving that the BoSox f.o. didn't appreciate him. Anyone have any word on what kind of weight and power the Dodgers' travelling secretary has?

TheYankee
07-31-08, 08:59 PM
lulz.

NYYDragoon
07-31-08, 09:02 PM
One thing about Manny. He may actually do quite well in LA with Torre, who's worked with psychos before...
Hahahahahh!

lulz.
:lol:

b_joseph
If he cut his hair and if we needed a DH because of trades or whatever. Then yeah, go for it.

Since95
I would.. you know he hates Boston now.. he motivated for sure.

stupidpunchline
07-31-08, 09:21 PM
I'd prefer signing Teixeira, Sheets, and Sabathia.

All of them. All three.

YanksFan1992
07-31-08, 09:29 PM
If he cut his hair and if we needed a DH because of trades or whatever. Then yeah, go for it.

I pretty much agree here.

montrealer
07-31-08, 09:30 PM
Bonds would put you on substances.
:-whistle-

Slyde Slick
07-31-08, 09:31 PM
Not gonna happen. Besides, if ManRam got complaint with the Yanks' grooming policies, about 85 undiscovered species of lice would be released into the world, spawning and consuming everything in their path. For the love of all that is holy, no.

Now THAT'S a hilarious post. ROFL! :D

The PRO
07-31-08, 09:40 PM
C'mon folks, let's get real here. Manny is 37 years old and was sent to the Dodgers by the Fates to punish Joe Torre for every bullpen arm he ruined in his tenure with the Yankees.

He's just not Yankee material. You see guys like ARod and Jeter getting paid big money just like Manny, but the difference is, they are serious about what they do and don't want to come out of games. Boston did the right thing for their team: Principles before Personalities.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-31-08, 10:08 PM
Manny Ramirez not on Red Sox in '08 = Good
Manny Ramirez not on Yankees in '09 = Better

webassign
07-31-08, 10:08 PM
Los Mets.

cyhughes22
07-31-08, 10:12 PM
He'll be a Met next season. You can write that down. He's exactly the kind of player Minaya likes. He has all of the characteristics. I don't think I need to list them because anyone who takes a quick glance at the Mets roster knows what I mean.;)

simmy886
07-31-08, 11:56 PM
cool More DH's

He would be the one and only. Giambi gone, Posada back to catcher when healthy enough to do so.

EDIT: But agreed he's got METS written all over him.

sweet_lou_14
07-31-08, 11:58 PM
No thanks.

And while I think he's definitely the kind of player the Mets would want, the only problem is that he is a DH and they don't have those in the NL.

27IsNext
07-31-08, 11:59 PM
As a two- or three-year stopgap, sure. He has the arm to play right (that was his position with the Indians) and could DH after Matsui leaves following next season. It would also allow the Yankees to package Nady for a high-end positional prospect.

simmy886
08-01-08, 12:00 AM
aren't we complaing about the teams age already, with manny being 37 next season, it's probably for a short term deal, i would rather have a long term player in left field,

on the other hand manny is a great ball player, but he could be a clubhouse cancer, if a-rod is bad at handling new york media imagine manny im 50 50 on this

Assuming "media" affects "performance"... Is New York media any harder than Boston?

NYBravest82
08-01-08, 12:14 AM
I could see it now...

Michael Kay: "It's a looong double to the gap, it goes to the wall...Manny...still at the plate...staring at it...Here comes Girardi...why is he turning green?...Girardi...now stomping around the field screaming...Manny...apparently signaling he wants a trade to the Bulls for Jordan..."

JeffWeaverFan
08-01-08, 01:17 AM
2009:

1B: ?
2B: Cano
SS: Jeter
3B: A-Rod
LF: Damon
CF: Melky and possibly Jackson later in the year
RF: Nady
DH: Matsui

Unless you don't want to sign a first baseman and move Matsui or Damon there, then put Manny in LF or DH, there's no spot for him.

The real problem though, besides the fact that there's probably not a spot for him to play, is he's going to want a huge deal. This is not some 1 year/$15M deal we can get here. He's going to probably want at least 4 years and at least $18M per. That would be absurd for us to even consider.

cyhughes22
08-01-08, 01:18 AM
No thanks.

And while I think he's definitely the kind of player the Mets would want, the only problem is that he is a DH and they don't have those in the NL.

We have to remember that Omar Minaya has certain criteria for putting together a team that don't exactly include things like work ethic or the ability to play a position competently. ;)

just-blaze
08-01-08, 02:18 AM
2009:

Unless you don't want to sign a first baseman and move Matsui or Damon there, then put Manny in LF or DH, there's no spot for him.

The real problem though, besides the fact that there's probably not a spot for him to play, is he's going to want a huge deal. This is not some 1 year/$15M deal we can get here. He's going to probably want at least 4 years and at least $18M per. That would be absurd for us to even consider.

That would be the only plan, to do it. And, it would probably have to be Damon at 1st (he actually played it for a couple of innings last year), or maybe it could be a platoon b/t him and Posada.

Matsui is going to have to be a DH for his last year in his contract, those knees arent getting better.

If he would accept a 4/64 deal, to which he might....Id definitely do it.

Ericas367
08-01-08, 02:39 AM
I'd prefer signing Teixeira, Sheets, and Sabathia.

All of them. All three.

yes this is the idea for this winter...and we dont need to get any older...stick with Bobby,Melky and Nady...bring in Teixeira and C.C. and maybe we could get Sheets who knos...add to the fact that will we have Joba and Wang, Hughes in the rotation thats fine with me...Manny equals "H" no...i hate him and his dreadlocks

NewEraYanks2527
08-01-08, 11:35 AM
yes this is the idea for this winter...and we dont need to get any older...stick with Bobby,Melky and Nady...bring in Teixeira and C.C. and maybe we could get Sheets who knos...add to the fact that will we have Joba and Wang, Hughes in the rotation thats fine with me...Manny equals "H" no...i hate him and his dreadlocks

Hmmmm

Joba
Sabathia
Sheets
Wang
Kennedy/Hughes/Pettitte/Mussina

C: Posada/Molina/Pudge
1B: Tex
3B: Rodriguez
CF: Cabrera
LF: Ramirez
DH: Matsui/Damon

CP: Rivera
SU: Marte
SU: E. Ramirez
MR: Bruney
MR: Veras
MR: Robertson

That's a pretty good team. Doubt very much of it happens though but hell I'd sign up for it.

yankeeman61
08-01-08, 11:36 AM
I could see the Manny topic having the potential to rival the Bonds threads. This is only the beginning.:)

THEBOSS84
08-01-08, 11:46 AM
Who the hell wants to sign Manny for 3-4 years? He hired Boras for a reason.

PASS

justinvarnes
08-01-08, 12:24 PM
2009:

Cano batting 2nd and Melky batting 7th? Not a very good lineup, JWF.

:o

JL25and3
08-01-08, 12:26 PM
C'mon folks, let's get real here. Manny is 37 years old and was sent to the Dodgers by the Fates to punish Joe Torre for every bullpen arm he ruined in his tenure with the Yankees.

He's just not Yankee material. You see guys like ARod and Jeter getting paid big money just like Manny, but the difference is, they are serious about what they do and don't want to come out of games. Boston did the right thing for their team: Principles before Personalities.I'm sure Joe is suffering terribly with that punishment. His team is one game back, and having serious offensive problems - and the poor guy gets stuck with one of the best hitters in the game.

Whatever you do, don't throw me in that briar patch!

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-01-08, 12:31 PM
I'd sign him to a 3 year deal, but I doubt he'd accept that.

27IsNext
08-01-08, 12:34 PM
I'd sign him to a 3 year deal, but I doubt he'd accept that.

It's worth a shot. He played right field for the Indians when he was with them and certainly has the arm to still do it. I think Nady is playing over his head this season and I'd like to put him in a package for a young position prospect. Sell high.

TheYankee
08-01-08, 12:36 PM
It's worth a shot. He played right field for the Indians when he was with them and certainly has the arm to still do it. I think Nady is playing over his head this season and I'd like to put him in a package for a young position prospect. Sell high.That's ideal, I'll admit, but I think pretty soon you have to start worrying about Manny's decline. He can't do this forever.

jeterdaman
08-01-08, 12:38 PM
Hmmmm

Joba
Sabathia
Sheets
Wang

That's a pretty good team. Doubt very much of it happens though but hell I'd sign up for it.

Have anything left in that funny little pipe there? We'll be the first $300 million team ever. Sweet.

JfromJersey
08-01-08, 12:46 PM
Have anything left in that funny little pipe there? We'll be the first $300 million team ever. Sweet.

:-) yeah and we can bring the whole starting team to the next All Star game.
Talk about pipe dreams.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-01-08, 01:01 PM
It's worth a shot. He played right field for the Indians when he was with them and certainly has the arm to still do it. I think Nady is playing over his head this season and I'd like to put him in a package for a young position prospect. Sell high.

I really doubt you would get a prospect that would be worth Nady's value. I'd like to keep him for left field anyway. Manny RF, Damon CF, Nady LF

Blazer
08-01-08, 01:04 PM
I'll take Manny over Giambi at DH.

YanksFan1992
08-01-08, 01:05 PM
Hmmmm

Joba
Sabathia
Sheets
Wang

A pretty good team? I'd like to see what your idea of a very good team is. :eek:

DisabledMess
08-01-08, 01:30 PM
I could see it now...

Michael Kay: "It's a looong double to the gap, it goes to the wall...Manny...still at the plate...staring at it...Here comes Girardi...why is he turning green?...Girardi...now stomping around the field screaming...Manny...apparently signaling he wants a trade to the Bulls for Jordan..."

That was pretty good.

webassign
08-01-08, 02:11 PM
Cano batting 2nd and Melky batting 7th? Not a very good lineup, JWF.

:o
Are you serious?

27IsNext
08-01-08, 02:22 PM
I really doubt you would get a prospect that would be worth Nady's value. I'd like to keep him for left field anyway. Manny RF, Damon CF, Nady LF

That's why he'd be part of a package. I'd pair him with Wang and try and send him to a National League team.

27IsNext
08-01-08, 02:23 PM
That's ideal, I'll admit, but I think pretty soon you have to start worrying about Manny's decline. He can't do this forever.

That's my one hesitation. We don't really know when he's going to start doing what Gary Sheffield is doing now.

ArodEra
08-01-08, 02:35 PM
I'd sign him for the same amount we have allocated for Giambi, IF we are considering re-signing him. Of course, I'd rather have Manny than Giambi at DH. If that number is 8-10 million or so and Manny rejects it (more than likely), so be it.

ArodMVP217
08-01-08, 02:41 PM
^ we would be getting younger subbing giambi for Manuel lol

ICEBERG18
08-01-08, 05:42 PM
I would definitely take him.

Matt
08-01-08, 05:47 PM
I would definitely take him.

Me too. The guy goes absolutely bananas whenever he plays in the Bronx. Let him play LF next year and DH him after Matsui/Damon are gone. This team can use the help on offense anyway.

And if those Dominican women came out in droves to the new Stadium to see him...even better for us. ;)

NewEraYanks2527
08-02-08, 01:23 PM
Have anything left in that funny little pipe there? We'll be the first $300 million team ever. Sweet. I said I'd sign up for it, I didn't say it would happen. Read the rest of the post. Thanks for playing.

just-blaze
08-02-08, 03:50 PM
For all those thinking Texiera.........he wants a 10 yr. deal.

No thanks.

nnysiny
08-02-08, 03:57 PM
For all those thinking Texiera.........he wants a 10 yr. deal.

No thanks.
ARod got 10 and hes 4 years older. Tex also is a clutch hitter, which the Yankees need badly. i also doubt hes gettin 10, although it will be close

ppa79
08-02-08, 04:00 PM
I wonder if its possible that manny signs with the Mets and shows up at Yankee stadium to play the outfield. Manny being Manny.

ppa79
08-02-08, 04:02 PM
ARod got 10 and hes 4 years older. Tex also is a clutch hitter, which the Yankees need badly. i also doubt hes gettin 10, although it will be close

However, Arod chase of the HR record is what got him the 10 year deal and winning 2 MVPs with the Yanks doesn't hurt either.

nnysiny
08-02-08, 05:05 PM
However, Arod chase of the HR record is what got him the 10 year deal and winning 2 MVPs with the Yanks doesn't hurt either.
he also would make 50% more per year than Tex should Tex get 20 per

stupidpunchline
08-02-08, 07:32 PM
Hmmmm

Joba
Sabathia
Sheets
Wang

Out of respect for the integrity of the game, I would never condone my or any team fielding a team this good.

aeromac76
08-03-08, 08:37 AM
Out of respect for the integrity of the game, I would never condone my or any team fielding a team this good.

I lack that integrity thing!!
:)

So I would love to have that team..

What I really think happens is we go hard for Sabathia and Tex, all in type hard..
Both Sheets and Manny are backups to these two repsectively.
I think we'll bring back one of Moose or Andy.
I think you'll see the Yankees also think about resigning Pudge because they just do not know about Posada..

So what happens next year..

ROTATION
Sabathia OR Sheets
Wang
Joba
Moose OR Andy
Hughes

LINEUP
Damon LF/DH/maybe a little CF
Jeter SS
Teixeira 1B
Arod 3B
Cano 2B
Matsui DH/LF
Nady RF
Posada/Pudge C
Melky CF
(OR a lineup including Manny in RF and no Tex at first base)

Pen
Rivera
Veras
Marte
Edwar
Robertson
Melancon/Cox/Sanchez (maybe even more than one??)
I would go to war with this team and while it certainly would have some huge contracts, thrre are some huge ones coming off and the overall payroll might not go up and coulod even go down..
Even if you assume we get BOTH Tex and Sabathia and that is 50 million combined per year, take away Pavano, Giambi, one of Andy or Moose, Farns, Hawkins, and whatever else we might lose and you get close to a wash.

The Dynasty
08-03-08, 09:29 AM
I lack that integrity thing!!
:)

So I would love to have that team..

What I really think happens is we go hard for Sabathia and Tex, all in type hard..
Both Sheets and Manny are backups to these two repsectively.
I think we'll bring back one of Moose or Andy.
I think you'll see the Yankees also think about resigning Pudge because they just do not know about Posada..

So what happens next year..

ROTATION
Sabathia OR Sheets
Wang
Joba
Moose OR Andy
Hughes

LINEUP
Damon LF/DH/maybe a little CF
Jeter SS
Teixeira 1B
Arod 3B
Cano 2B
Matsui DH/LF
Nady RF
Posada/Pudge C
Melky CF
(OR a lineup including Manny in RF and no Tex at first base)

Pen
Rivera
Veras
Marte
Edwar
Robertson
Melancon/Cox/Sanchez (maybe even more than one??)
I would go to war with this team and while it certainly would have some huge contracts, thrre are some huge ones coming off and the overall payroll might not go up and coulod even go down..
Even if you assume we get BOTH Tex and Sabathia and that is 50 million combined per year, take away Pavano, Giambi, one of Andy or Moose, Farns, Hawkins, and whatever else we might lose and you get close to a wash.

Manny in right? Yeah right.

aeromac76
08-03-08, 09:59 AM
Manny in right? Yeah right.

Well if we happen to go after him, where would you play him in YS?
LF is a cavern, RF is the short field (a la Fenway LF)..

If you say you want no part of Manny fine, but the Yankees will kick the tires here esp if they start losing out on their top choices..
RF would be the best place for him to play..

Actually DH would, but we have a ton of guys who will use that slot, so it is going to be next to impossible to give any one guy the everyday DH spot, so he'll need to play the field..

b-ball-lunachick
08-03-08, 10:02 AM
The last thing the Yankees need is a declining, older, diva superstar that will command a lot of money. No thanks.

JDPNYY
08-03-08, 10:41 AM
The last thing the Yankees need is a declining, older, diva superstar that will command a lot of money. No thanks.

He's on the right team.

Yankees13
08-03-08, 12:36 PM
We obviously need a left fielder that can stay healthy and consistent. Yes, we have Nady now, but I kind of get the feeling he's a flash in the pan, though I hope I'm wrong.

Manny is a born and bred New Yorker (Washington Heights, natch), and his following in NY is already huge due to our high population of Dominicans (whose women I simply adore, but I digress). I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids wearing Boston hats, only to confront them and find out they love Manny (and Fat Papi for that matter) because of his (their) heritage.

That said, for anything more than 15 milly, I feel like it'll be unpalatable. But I don't think he's getting that type of dough, and especially not for the 4 years, 100 mil that Boras keeps hyping (dream on).

I don't know, having Manny open the new stadium in pinstripes would just feel like another great finger in the eye of the Sux. :D Thoughts?
It might be worth it just to see how the Sox fans treat, IMO, the biggest reason for their only 2 WS titles in the last 90 years.

machphantom
08-09-08, 05:08 PM
Well, I couldn't say I didn't see this coming:

According to people who have spoken to the eccentric outfielder since he was dealt to L.A. on July 31, Ramirez wants to sign a free-agent deal with the Yankees this offseason and get 19 chances a year to punish Boston.
Yankees GM Brian Cashman would not comment on the situation.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008/sports/yankees/mannys_revenge__eyes_bx__123658.htm

ppa79
08-09-08, 05:19 PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008/sports/yankees/mannys_revenge__eyes_bx__123658.htm

If we can move Matsui we would have an opening at DH. Depends on the # of years he would want.

teknetic
08-09-08, 05:20 PM
19 chances to punish the Sox? I can totally see Manny saying that. Sign him up.

NYYDragoon
08-09-08, 05:23 PM

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008/sports/yankees/mannys_revenge__eyes_bx__123658.htmOh geez. I hope Cash focuses on teambuilding instead of this "revenge" nonsense.

2JAY
08-09-08, 05:24 PM
As much as I would like to see Manny's feared bat in the Bronx, I'm not sure that I could stomach the "manny being manny" nonsense. It would be nice if he would drop that act and just give 100% all year long.

nnysiny
08-09-08, 05:40 PM

its a George King article. hes The Enquirer of sports writers. im sure Boras will have "Manny to Yankees" all over the press over the offseason, anyway

ICEBERG18
08-09-08, 06:06 PM
I would take him on a 3-year deal, that's the highest I would go but I would definitely make him an offer.

b_joseph
08-09-08, 06:07 PM
I would take him on a 3-year deal.Me too but I would want the DH position completly cleared up.

StatenIslandYankee
08-09-08, 06:10 PM
If we can trade Matsui, I am all for it as a DH.

ICEBERG18
08-09-08, 06:13 PM
I would sign him even if Matsui is on the roster, I'm done assuming everyone will be healthy (Pitching and hitting) going into next season.

Since95
08-09-08, 06:21 PM
If the Yankees don't make the Playoffs.. Manny, Teixeira, CC.. all will be here.

ICEBERG18
08-09-08, 06:25 PM
If the Yankees don't make the Playoffs.. Manny, Teixeira, CC.. all will be here.

If Cashman pulls that off, I would take a bullet for him.

ToneinTO
08-09-08, 06:40 PM
As long as it doesn't affect getting Teixeira and Sabathia, bring Manny in as a DH. For all his craziness, he can flat out hit, and unlike A-Rod, can do it in the clutch. At 36, Manny is better than Boggs, Clemens and Damon were when the Yankees signed them, so bring him here. He's going to hit his 40 HR's and drive in 120 RBI's a year anyway-might as well do it for us, instead of for the Mets, where he will most likely go if the Yankees don't sign him.

ppa79
08-09-08, 06:56 PM
At least Manny's moments would be entertaining to watch.

Brick Tamland
08-09-08, 07:01 PM
No to Manny.

Horrid defense.
Selfish player.
37 years old.
Wants a 4 year contract around $25M a season.

Just say no.

montrealer
08-09-08, 07:08 PM
Put the pipe down......:lol:

nnysiny
08-09-08, 07:25 PM
ill take CC and Tex, but not Manny

DEADSOX
08-09-08, 07:40 PM
Honestly, when it comes to manny, I am putting my own selfish feelings before the bettering of the team, and that means I never want him in pinstripes.

yankeesrule2000
08-09-08, 07:42 PM
I hate Manny, but i would give him 2 years 32 mil, take it or leave it.

Hobbes40
08-09-08, 08:45 PM
Thought about it more, I think if you let Bobby walk then getting Manny is a pretty good idea. He shares DH/Left Field with Matsui (while we field the worst fielding outfield in history), then gains sole possession of DH the next year.

See how he behaves under Torre for the rest of the year.

EDIT: Also, IMO trading Matsui probably can't happen, he has a full NTC and probably would only accept a trade to a team that is a contender and has a decent Asian population. In addition, only AL teams will want him because he can't play the field anymore. Thinking through this, I believe that that makes the LAAAAAAAAAAA the only team that would fit, and I doubt we want to give them a bat.

teknetic
08-09-08, 09:35 PM
No to Manny.

Horrid defense.
Selfish player.
37 years old.
Wants a 4 year contract around $25M a season.

Just say no.

I'm not sure why you expect Manny or anyone else to get and give him another 7 figure contract.

shotz
08-09-08, 09:39 PM
bring in Manny why not? keep this "veteran" team on track to nothing

Matt
08-09-08, 09:43 PM
We won't have a new CF next year, its just not realistic. So Damon can split time between CF and LF. Manny, if signed, can mostly play LF (he wouldn't be THAT awful out there) and some DH. After next season, Damon and Matsui are gone and Manny becomes a full time DH.

Manny is from NY, he goes apesh*t whenever he plays in NY, the team could use a powerful/clutch RH bat in the lineup. With the way the offense has looked, I don't think its a stretch to say that they could desperately use his bat. Offer him a 3 year deal. If he starts to decline, its not the end of the world..it would just be three years. It just makes sense.

NYYDragoon
08-09-08, 10:07 PM
Honestly, when it comes to manny, I am putting my own selfish feelings before the bettering of the team, and that means I never want him in pinstripes.Although I agree with you, I believe that many said the same about Damon. Just something to think about.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-09-08, 11:48 PM
Although I agree with you, I believe that many said the same about Damon. Just something to think about.

But, think about this Johnny Damon is a nice guy. On the Red Sox all he did was hit the winning homerun. Now in the past year Manny has.............

1. Faked an injury when facing good pitchers

2. Been on a cell phone during innings

3. Push down a Secretary

4. Pick a fight with a fellow teammate

All though I would like the hitting Manny would do I ask you do you think we should sign him because judging by those 4 things? I really don't want him in the clubhouse. Great hitter bad personality. Let's get Teixshara instead.

If this was David Ortiz I'd do it in a heart beat but Manny I don't think his personality would fit in the Yankee clubhouse.

NYYDragoon
08-10-08, 12:08 AM
All though I would like the hitting Manny would do I ask you do you think we should sign him because judging by those 4 things? I really don't want him in the clubhouse. Great hitter bad personality. Let's get Teixshara instead.

If this was David Ortiz I'd do it in a heart beat but Manny I don't think his personality would fit in the Yankee clubhouse.
Those are great points, and I think they're something Cashman would have to consider. Manny in pinstripes (:barf:) would mean the end of the dreads, the pine-tarred helmet, the goofy outfield antics, and the "I run this team because I'm special" mentality. In short, it would be the end of Manny being Manny. I'm assuming that Ramirez would be professional enough to understand that before agreeing to any deal with the Yankees. And if he's not, Cash better be as blunt as hell about it.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-10-08, 12:13 AM
Those are great points, and I think they're something Cashman would have to consider. Manny in pinstripes (:barf:) would mean the end of the dreads, the pine-tarred helmet, the goofy outfield antics, and the "I run this team because I'm special" mentality. In short, it would be the end of Manny being Manny. I'm assuming that Ramirez would be professional enough to understand that before agreeing to any deal with the Yankees. And if he's not, Cash better be as blunt as hell about it.

Well he has to cut his dreads anyway since he's on Torre's team. He's supposedly getting his hair cut on Monday. But, yeah Manny feels like it's all about him. And if he does come to the Yankees Cash better make it clear to Manny that it is not all about him. Otherwise we'd be better off spending our money somewhere else. If that's the way he's gonna be let him go to the Mets.

NYYDragoon
08-10-08, 12:42 AM
Well he has to cut his dreads anyway since he's on Torre's team. He's supposedly getting his hair cut on Monday. But, yeah Manny feels like it's all about him. And if he does come to the Yankees Cash better make it clear to Manny that it is not all about him. Otherwise we'd be better off spending our money somewhere else. If that's the way he's gonna be let him go to the Mets.Right. And you know what? Assuming the "revenge" comment is accurate, that's a warning sign right there. You don't join a team to use it as a tool to fight your personal battles. You join a team to help it, as a unit, win it all. His mentality on this possibility is not what we need in the clubhouse.

montrealer
08-10-08, 12:45 AM
Fine .......and while you`re at it, sign Bonds...........

primetime714
08-10-08, 01:46 AM
If we're going to pay a position player 20M per, wouldn't it be better to just sign Teixeira? Signing Manny over Tex would be the equivalent of signing Shef over Vlad. Except that in this case Tex plays a position of need whereas Manny does not.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-10-08, 06:58 AM
If we're going to pay a position player 20M per, wouldn't it be better to just sign Teixeira? Signing Manny over Tex would be the equivalent of signing Shef over Vlad. Except that in this case Tex plays a position of need whereas Manny does not.

We do kinda need a DH. But, I'd be happy putting Tex at first and Nady being an every day Left Fielder. We gotta keep Nady. He has been great. And Damon/Matsui as DH. And of course Tex at first.

Tabata
08-10-08, 07:16 AM
No, just no.

dont_ya_know24
08-10-08, 12:10 PM
do it cash.

SalingerNY
08-10-08, 01:15 PM
I'm late to the party here, but when I first heard about Manny's latest proclamations I had two thoughts:
1) we don't want or need him
2) This is Borass talking - he's got his client signaling that he'll only sign for "Yankee money"

THEBOSS84
08-10-08, 01:16 PM

This is a smart post.

JfromJersey
08-10-08, 02:05 PM

Neither Sheff, nor Teixeira are in Manny's class as a hitter.
That being said, I would love to see Tex in pinstripes next season, although i think he will stay in LA.

ThePinStripes
08-10-08, 02:07 PM
For the cost, I'd rather have Sheets.

ThePinStripes
08-10-08, 02:14 PM
Look at all the free agents on the market this year

CC
Sheets
Tex
Milton Bradley
Giambi
Bobby A
etc, etc, etc

What makes anyone want think "Manny for $20M"

junkman73
08-10-08, 02:22 PM
If the Yanks sign Manny, I think you'll see Girardi's hair go from gray to white before the ASB.

I would like to see the team get younger, not older. Unless the Yanks can get him for an extreme hometown discount, I would pass.

Yankeesfan811
08-10-08, 03:29 PM
hell no.....just hell no.....

Manny being Manny is just something I couldn't take on a team I love!

ArodMVP217
08-10-08, 06:15 PM
I know it won't happen, but i had a dream where i was at new Yank stadium in April and Manny was behind home plate after BP taking a razor to his dreads (and beard) and throwing his dreads in the stands. it was announced before teh game,too. so the stadium was already half full. i also met a hot chilean, but that is a different story haha

Tabata
08-10-08, 06:22 PM
This is a smart post.
He should probably be banned for that post. How dare he bring logic into ITL!

Vin
08-10-08, 06:25 PM
Why not. If they're going to keep playing this way against the Angels they might as well.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-10-08, 06:30 PM

We need both

In Mo I Trust
08-10-08, 06:34 PM
I'd only give him two years, he'll obviously get more than that elsewhere, but if he really wants to stick it to the Sox that would be dandy.

b_joseph
08-10-08, 06:38 PM
Like Javy said...we need both.

Are you kidding me Cano?!?!?!

Since95
08-10-08, 06:41 PM
We need Manny and Tex.. break the bank.. this offense has bad spots in the line up.

Tabata
08-10-08, 06:46 PM
We need both
I don't think you're going to have fun paying for it. ;)

cupcollector99
08-10-08, 06:54 PM
Might as well try it, the team has become a joke so why not go all the way and sign this clown? Just another overpaid, aging DH with nothing to play for to go along with the three others they have already.

ICEBERG18
08-10-08, 07:02 PM
Might as well try it, the team has become a joke so why not go all the way and sign this clown? Just another overpaid, aging DH with nothing to play for to go along with the three others they have already.

I'll take him batting with runners on base over anybody on the Yankees, it's not even close.

Jersey Yankee
08-10-08, 07:07 PM
We already have enough DHs, we have Cabrera, Damon and Christian for CF, and we've got corner OF in Abreu and Nady.

Let him continue the aging man-boy act elsewhere.

Matt
08-10-08, 07:09 PM
I want to bump this thread after every pitiful performance by the offense...but that would mean I'd be upping this almost every day. :(

ppa79
08-10-08, 07:58 PM
Lets clear out the junk so we can sign Manny as the DH.

teknetic
08-10-08, 08:39 PM
But what about his Manny being Manny attitude? I heard Sox fans were greatly disturbed by it the last 7 years.

Tabata
08-10-08, 08:52 PM
But what about his Manny being Manny attitude? I heard Sox fans were greatly disturbed by it the last 7 years.
Who cares? He can hit.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Tabata_2007/Others/rolleyes.gif

bxbomber328
08-10-08, 09:41 PM
Who cares? He can hit.

They can be even more disturbed when Manny hits one right off Beckett into the Green Monster. Man that would be sweet.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Manny's attitude, but if Manny produces in the clutch like he usually does, batting right behind Arod, that would be absolutley deadly. The would be the best power back to back duo in baseball.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-10-08, 09:47 PM
I'll take him batting with runners on base over anybody on the Yankees, it's not even close.

I'd take him batting in a big spot over anyone on the Yankees. Like I said before, I'd probably be willing to go 4 years if that's what it takes.

teknetic
08-10-08, 09:49 PM
Who cares? He can hit.

Attitude > winning. :)

primetime714
08-10-08, 10:45 PM
We do kinda need a DH. But, I'd be happy putting Tex at first and Nady being an every day Left Fielder. We gotta keep Nady. He has been great. And Damon/Matsui as DH. And of course Tex at first.

A DH is the last thing we need. Matsui will be slated as our regular DH, but look for Damon and maybe Posada to also spend some time there.

Unless we trade Matsui we shouldn't even consider signing Manny. And even still I wouldn't want Manny at the money and years he'll want.

Manny would be a liability in LF especially with Damon likely moving over to CF. Manny- in LF, Damon in CF, and Nady in RF would be pretty bad defensively.

Let's just go after CC and Teixeira and risk the temptation of signing Manny. Yes, he is a hell of an offensive talent, but at 20M+ per year on at least 3 year deal at the age of 37, he would make for a very foolish signing.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-10-08, 11:06 PM
Did I hear correctly today during the game? I thought I heard Micheal Kay say Guererro was a free agent this offseason. All though It may have been next offseason that I heard. I heard something about Guererro being a free agent.

If that's true then I'm happy. But, I say we just go for CC and Tex too. But , I wouldn't mind getting rid of Melky. ANy Center Fielders hitting Free Agency?

TommyK8
08-10-08, 11:17 PM
Did I hear correctly today during the game? I thought I heard Micheal Kay say Guererro was a free agent this offseason. All though It may have been next offseason that I heard. I heard something about Guererro being a free agent.

If that's true then I'm happy. But, I say we just go for CC and Tex too. But , I wouldn't mind getting rid of Melky. ANy Center Fielders hitting Free Agency?Vladdy has a $15 million club option for 2009. If they Angels don't pick it up, there is a $3 million buyout.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-10-08, 11:18 PM
Vladdy has a $15 million club option for 2009. If they Angels don't pick it up, there is a $3 million buyout.

I'm sorry for being stupid her but a buyout means?

Matt
08-11-08, 05:39 AM
It means they'd save 12 million and let him become a free agent. But they'll pick up the option. I'd be stunned if he hits free agency.

I was so disappointed when we signed Sheffield instead. Vlad has been my favorite player for years. :(

yank4life2005
08-11-08, 07:17 AM
If for some reason NY can't sign Tex, then how about this?

C- Posada
1B- Damon
2B-Cano
3B-A-Rod
SS- Jeter
LF-Ramirez
CF-Gardner/Melky
RF-Nady
DH-Matsui

GoYanks
08-11-08, 07:33 AM
I hoped not way back when he was an Indian & I hope not more so now.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 08:50 AM
We have enough of the guys that try hard all the time, we need a player who doesn't care most of the time and tries his hardest and succeeds when it counts the most.

montrealer
08-11-08, 09:00 AM
:lol: :lol: Yankees will never sign Manny...................He`s a DH at best...........lets all move on and stop this ridiculous assessment that the Yankees need Manny to a win a WS..........

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 09:27 AM
:lol: :lol: Yankees will never sign Manny...................He`s a DH at best...........lets all move on and stop this ridiculous assessment that the Yankees need Manny to a win a WS..........

Yes, and as we all know DH's are useless in the AL East.

montrealer
08-11-08, 09:31 AM
Yes, and as we all know DH's are useless in the AL East.
Hell...we should know.......how many are on our team now?

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 09:34 AM
Hell...we should know.......how many are on our team now?

0, 1 if you include Matsui who is on the DL.

montrealer
08-11-08, 09:41 AM
0, 1 if you include Matsui who is on the DL.
This thread is for 2009.............

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 09:43 AM
This thread is for 2009.............

Then we will have one, Matsui. Manny IMO could play right, even though he would be bad at it, he and Matsui could probably switch off between DH/RF, they couldn't be that much worst than Abreu who is doing an absolute horrific job in RF this year.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 09:45 AM
Then we will have one, Matsui. Manny IMO could play right, even though he would be bad at it, he and Matsui could probably switch off between DH/RF, they couldn't be that much worst than Abreu who is doing an absolute horrific job in RF this year.

What about Jorge?

I have no interest in Manny whatsoever. I don't love paying 39-40 yr olds $18-20m per (back end of his contract)

montrealer
08-11-08, 09:46 AM
Soooo...you want to sign a crappy defensive player(38yrs.) whose only reason to wear Pinstripes is to get back at a former team ? and and what cost and how many years are you willing to give him.............

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 09:49 AM
What about Jorge?

I have no interest in Manny whatsoever. I don't love paying 39-40 yr olds $18-20m per (back end of his contract)

Jorge needs to be the catcher or they need to move him to 1st permanently.

I don't either but this team is still very much in win now mode, Jeter, Arod, Matsui, Damon, Posada, Mo, possibly Pettitte and Mussina. I'd like to go for it the next couple years, if that means a bad contract for 1 or 2 years then so be it.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 09:50 AM
Soooo...you want to sign a crappy defensive player(38yrs.) whose only reason to wear Pinstripes is to get back at a former team ? and and what cost and how many years are you willing to give him....

I'd be willing to go 4, although obviously I would prefer 2 or 3.

And that wouldn't be his only reason, thats ridiculous.

montrealer
08-11-08, 09:53 AM
I'd be willing to go 4, although obviously I would prefer 2 or 3.

And that wouldn't be his only reason, thats ridiculous.

Maybe you would.....I don`t see Yankee`s FO even considering that...........

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 09:53 AM
Jorge needs to be the catcher or they need to move him to 1st permanently.

I don't either but this team is still very much in win now mode, Jeter, Arod, Matsui, Damon, Posada, Mo, possibly Pettitte and Mussina. I'd like to go for it the next couple years, if that means a bad contract for 1 or 2 years then so be it.

If I told you that you can have one out of Tex/Manny, who are you taking?

I don't think this team is in win now mode BTW. They are a CC and 2 prime hitters (Tex and whoever) away from being in dynasty mode.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 09:59 AM
If I told you that you can have one out of Tex/Manny, who are you taking?

It would depend on the contracts.

I don't think this team is in win now mode BTW. They are a CC and 2 prime hitters (Tex and whoever) away from being in dynasty mode.

Well Matsui and Damon will most likely be gone after next season, but you still have Posada, Jeter, A-Rod, and Mo who are all getting older, not sure what Pettitte and Moose will be doing. Next year though, this team is very much in win now mode.

Not to mention, we don't have any corner OF prospects for at least 2-3 years.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-11-08, 12:52 PM
If for some reason NY can't sign Tex, then how about this?

C- Posada
1B- Damon
2B-Cano
3B-A-Rod
SS- Jeter
LF-Ramirez
CF-Gardner/Melky
RF-Nady
DH-Matsui

One more thing Manny wants to be a Yankee basically just to "stick it to Boston" . And I don't think I'm ready to accept a guy on our team who is basically just trying to get Boston back for what they did. All though this isn't a bad lineup. If the Yankees can't sign Tex but can sign Ramirez. That might be a problem. Because if that's the lineup it almost seems that the Yankees would prefer Manny over Tex. But, if somehow Tex goes to Baltimore or whatever sign Manny and maybe CC. The Yankees better make sure to clear Manny's attitude. And make damn sure that Manny wants to help the team win not to just make the Red Sox sorry for trading him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 12:57 PM
One more thing Manny wants to be a Yankee basically just to "stick it to Boston" .

Do you have any sort of inside information to back up this absurd claim? Furthermore, do we have any information that has even stated "Manny wants to be a Yankee?"

Matt
08-11-08, 12:59 PM
One more thing Manny wants to be a Yankee basically just to "stick it to Boston" . And I don't think I'm ready to accept a guy on our team who is basically just trying to get Boston back for what they did.

I think if Manny wants to play in NY, its because it is his hometown first and foremost and because he's comfortable there. Sticking it to Boston would be a secondary bonus. And that's assuming you believe random things that you read in the papers.

JfromJersey
08-11-08, 01:11 PM
I had a nightmare last night. Manny, on the downside of his career, in Yankee pinstripes.

teknetic
08-11-08, 01:17 PM
I had a nightmare last night. Manny, on the downside of his career, in Yankee pinstripes.

..and the 37 (going on 38) year old DH we currently have, is second on the team in HR's. But, there is no reason to expect a 36 year old who's probably one of the most prolific RH bats in the history of the game to put up similar or better numbers.

Rice14
08-11-08, 01:22 PM
Do you have any sort of inside information to back up this absurd claim? Furthermore, do we have any information that has even stated "Manny wants to be a Yankee?"

I just posted this in the RS thread. From Heyman:

It was reported that Ramirez wouldn't mind playing for the Yankees. Don't believe that for a second. Ramirez's longstanding complaint about Boston was that he didn't like the fishbowl existence, so it makes no sense that he would want to play in his hometown. He has never shown any interest in playing in New York before, and the only plausible reason that it comes out now is as a bargaining tool. Beyond all that, Man-Ram isn't the type of personality that Yankees GM Brian Cashman is going to want to invest in. The cities that Ramirez was said to have preferred in past years were Anaheim, Arizona and Cleveland, none of which resembles his hometown

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/08/11/heyman.lucchino/index.html

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 01:24 PM
New York and Boston are not similar. Boston=Fishbowl, NY=Not a Fishbowl

Heyman is just guessing.

justtxyank
08-11-08, 01:45 PM
I don't think there's a fit for him, but, Heyman is wrong. NY and Boston do not compare at all in terms of media and fans and how they deal with their players. Also, Manny has expressed interest in playing for New York before.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 01:48 PM
..and the 37 (going on 38) year old DH we currently have, is second on the team in HR's. But, there is no reason to expect a 36 year old who's probably one of the most prolific RH bats in the history of the game to put up similar or better numbers.

Not all aging excellent bats should be treated equally. Especially post-greenies ban.

primetime714
08-11-08, 02:04 PM

Manny will hit there's no doubt about that, but will he do it throughout the course of a 3-4 year deal? We all saw how quickly Shef fell apart in Detroit. Don't expect Manny to play at this level and stay healthy for that much longer. Add in the attitude and the terrible defense and its clear that signing Manny would be a bad move.

Especially when it could prevent us from signing someone like Teixeira who would help now and in the long run.

Signing Manny would be a short sighted move and a desperate attempt to win now. This team needs to get younger while getting better. Thus they should be going hard after the likes of CC and Teixeira. Signing those two would give us two relatively young superstars that would help the veterans go for it all now and would keep the team strong as the new class of youngsters starts to make their way to the majors. Signing guys like that and building through the minors is how you build a dynasty. Signing guys like Manny is how you make a short term push and fall back to mediocrity in a few years when his contract is a complete burden.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:16 PM
Why can't we have all 3? Why is it assumed he is going to fall into mediocrity in the span of 2-3 years? It's very possible he declines, but the point at which he would be declining from still would make him a very good to great hitter. What also gets overlooked is how hard Manny works on his hitting.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:18 PM
Why can't we have all 3? Why is it assumed he is going to fall into mediocrity in the span of 2-3 years? It's very possible he declines, but the point at which he would be declining from still would make him a very good to great hitter. What also gets overlooked is how hard Manny works on his hitting.

That's what Dombrowski said when he acquired Sheffield and gave him that extension...

R.V.47
08-11-08, 02:19 PM
If he wanted to play in NY he couldve signed here in 2001 when the yanks were still throwing Shane Spencer and Ricky Ledee out in left field. Maybe now later in his career he wants to play close to his hometown but you can never tell with this guy. I want this team to get younger at every position. Manny doesnt help that process.

Blazer
08-11-08, 02:19 PM

You're right. In 2 or 3 years Manny will probably still be a better offensive player than Abreu and Matsui are right now.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:21 PM
That's what Dombrowski said when he acquired Sheffield and gave him that extension...

They are very different hitters. Also, I'm so sick and tired of making comparisons to other players. Why can't each player be unique? For as many Sheffield comparisons there are, I'm sure there are quite a few hitters who have hit well into their late 30's early 40s.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:24 PM
They are very different hitters. Also, I'm so sick and tired of making comparisons to other players. Why can't each player be unique? For as many Sheffield comparisons there are, I'm sure there are quite a few hitters who have hit well into their late 30's early 40s.

Of course they are all different. All I said is that the exact statement you said about Manny backfired on a "smart" GM's face badly. Does that have anything to do with Manny? Absolutely not. But it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be either.

YESSIR!
08-11-08, 02:25 PM
I don't think there's a fit for him, but, Heyman is wrong. NY and Boston do not compare at all in terms of media and fans and how they deal with their players. Also, Manny has expressed interest in playing for New York before.

Look at David Wells. He used to go out for drinks with Yankee fans after games, and generally loved being a player here. But he hated Boston, and thought the fans were nuts to the point where he barely ever left his apartment if he wasn't going to and from the ballpark. Now Boomer might not be the best example, but...yeah.

teknetic
08-11-08, 02:27 PM
Not all aging excellent bats should be treated equally. Especially post-greenies ban.

Huh? my point is Giambi is posting an OPS over .900 in his late 30's, while some expect Manny to just drop off at the same age when he's the better hitter. Why? He's also gonna cost less, unless you figure some team is gonna fork over 20mil a year for him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:27 PM
Of course they are all different. All I said is that the exact statement you said about Manny backfired on a "smart" GM's face badly. Does that have anything to do with Manny? Absolutely not. But it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be either.

I think its pretty cut and dry Manny would be a better hitter than Abreu, Damon, or Nady the next two years. And most likely will be better than them the next 3.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:28 PM
Huh? my point is Giambi is posting an OPS over .900 in his late 30's, while some expect Manny to just drop off at the same age when he's the better hitter. Why?

Just because one player proves he can play well in his late 30's, doesn't mean another one can. For every Bonds there is a Sheff.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:30 PM
I think its pretty cut and dry Manny would be a better hitter than Abreu, Damon, or Nady the next two years. And most likely will be better than them the next 3.

If you told me I can have Manny on a 2 year deal, I'd be all over that. If Manny wanted 2 years and $40M, he'd have made the LAD pick up his 2 option years as part of the trade agreement. He'll be looking for 4 years $80m....or more.

MTYankee23
08-11-08, 02:33 PM
If you told me I can have Manny on a 2 year deal, I'd be all over that. If Manny wanted 2 years and $40M, he'd have made the LAD pick up his 2 option years as part of the trade agreement. He'll be looking for 4 years $80m....or more.

Not necessarily. The person in his ear right now would make the commission on the new deal, as opposed to his old agent. In the world of Scott Boras, this isn't insignificant.

Then you get into whether you want to pay your DH $20 million a year when your roster is already sprinkled with position players in their 30's. Manny as a full time LF with Yankee Stadium's dimensions would be a disaster defensively.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:36 PM
It's also possible Manny doesn't want to play for the Dodgers LT.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:37 PM
Not necessarily. The person in his ear right now would make the commission on the new deal, as opposed to his old agent. In the world of Scott Boras, this isn't insignificant.

Then you get into whether you want to pay your DH $20 million a year when your roster is already sprinkled with position players in their 30's. Manny as a full time LF with Yankee Stadium's dimensions would be a disaster defensively.

Yeah Boras is a key factor. I think Manny can get 4-5 years.

I want no part of him if that's what it would take.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:40 PM
Yeah Boras is a key factor. I think Manny can get 4-5 years.

I want no part of him if that's what it would take.

I don't think any team is crazy enough to give Manny a 5 year deal, especially a NL team.

Brick Tamland
08-11-08, 02:43 PM
Manny Ramirez in pinstripes...talk about depressing.

queue comment: "Yup, really depressing seeing a hall of famer in pinstripes..."

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:44 PM
I don't think any team is crazy enough to give Manny a 5 year deal, especially a NL team.

He's having an excellent year. If someone was crazy enough to extend Sheff 3 years beyond his current contract at the time (through the age of 41 or whatever), you never know. I think he can definitely get 4 year deals in this years FA market.

just-blaze
08-11-08, 02:51 PM
New York and Boston are not similar. Boston=Fishbowl, NY=Not a Fishbowl

Heyman is just guessing.

What the hell does fishbowl mean anyways?

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:53 PM
He's having an excellent year. If someone was crazy enough to extend Sheff 3 years beyond his current contract at the time (through the age of 41 or whatever), you never know. I think he can definitely get 4 year deals in this years FA market.

Sheff had a very good 07 with Detroit and has had a bad 08', its likely but can not be assumed he is going to be terrible in 09' The contract could turn out to be pretty good.

Sheff also chose a league where he could DH. IMO, Manny will need to do the same. IMO, you are probably looking at the Angels,Yankees, and maybe the White Sox.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:53 PM
What the hell does fishbowl mean anyways?

Your name is just-blaze...

just-blaze
08-11-08, 02:54 PM
Just because one player proves he can play well in his late 30's, doesn't mean another one can. For every Bonds there is a Sheff.

True, but Sheff has a sizeable injury history.....it isn't suprising to me that he finally broke down and started sucking.

Bonds has much less of an injury past, and Manny even less than him.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:55 PM
Sheff had a very good 07 with Detroit and has had a bad 08', its likely but can not be assumed he is going to be terrible in 09' The contract could turn out to be pretty good.

Sheff also chose a league where he could DH. IMO, Manny will need to do the same. IMO, you are probably looking at the Angels,Yankees, and maybe the White Sox.

Mariners, Rangers too.

Don't count the Mets out either.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 02:56 PM
Mariners, Rangers too.

Don't count the Mets out either.

I don't think anyone wants to play for the Mariners. Ranger's aren't going to spend that kind of money on hitting when they desperately need pitching. If Manny plays for the Mets, he can't DH, which IMO is huge.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 02:58 PM
I don't think anyone wants to play for the Mariners. Ranger's aren't going to spend that kind of money on hitting when they desperately need pitching. If Manny plays for the Mets, he can't DH, which IMO is huge.

If the Mariners offer him some nice cash, he'd suddenly want to play there.

Would you sign Manny to a deal when you know for a fact that Matt Holliday will be an FA after the 2009 season?

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 03:01 PM
If the Mariners offer him some nice cash, he'd suddenly want to play there.

I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Would you sign Manny to a deal when you know for a fact that Matt Holliday will be an FA after the 2009 season?
I don't see what one has to do with the other. You could sign both.

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 03:04 PM
I doubt it, but anything is possible.

I don't see what one has to do with the other. You could sign both.

Right, I forgot you were penciling in Manny as the DH for us.

teknetic
08-11-08, 05:25 PM

So you figure Giambi is capable of putting up better numbers at his age, than a guy like Manny who hasn't really slowed down and is a better hitter? What?

THEBOSS84
08-11-08, 05:39 PM
So you figure Giambi is capable of putting up better numbers at his age, than a guy like Manny who hasn't really slowed down and is a better hitter? What?

I won't make believe I know what you are actually trying to ask here. Please re-word your question.

goin for 27
08-11-08, 05:49 PM

It sure helped the Red Sox.

Twice.

fredgmuggs
08-11-08, 06:38 PM
Manny Delcarmen? No way.

rajah
08-11-08, 09:15 PM
I hope the Yankees, with all the money coming off the payroll, are willing to hand out two very big contracts, one to the best relatively young hitter available and one to the best relatively young pitcher. The first is Tex and the second is CC, as I think most of us would agree.

It is not remotely realistic to think the Y's will sign a second free agent hitter with a huge salary, however, even with both Giambi and Abreu leaving. Thus, signing Manny would mean no Tex. If the Y's can't sign Tex, then this could be considered. Whatever you think might be ideal, signing both ain't happening.

primetime714
08-11-08, 09:24 PM
I hope the Yankees, with all the money coming off the payroll, are willing to hand out two very big contracts, one to the best relatively young hitter available and one to the best relatively young pitcher. The first is Tex and the second is CC, as I think most of us would agree.

It is not remotely realistic to think the Y's will sign a second free agent hitter with a huge salary, however, even with both Giambi and Abreu leaving. Thus, signing Manny would mean no Tex. If the Y's can't sign Tex, then this could be considered. Whatever you think might be ideal, signing both ain't happening.

Agreed. CC and Teixeira have to be our priorities. If we can't get CC, we'll have to move on to Sheets. If we can't get Teixeira we'll consider other alternatives. In that case I still don't think Manny makes a whole lot of sense given his age, contract demands, and defensive abilities, but if we can get Teixeira there is no reason to even consider signing Manny.

Vin
08-11-08, 09:39 PM
There's nobody I would want on the plate with RISP than Manny or...Damon to a lesser extent. Manny is a pure hitter and he'll be great on this lineup.

Realistically I see the Yanks going after pitching and I'd also like to see them go after Prince or Adrian Gonzalez.

Mark19
08-11-08, 09:49 PM
The only attractive thing about Manny is his attitude. He doesn't turn into a little girl when his team hits a rough stretch and the going gets tough. He just keeps on hitting the baseball and doesn't fall to pieces like the current Yankees do.

Ynkcpt23
08-11-08, 09:54 PM
Agreed. CC and Teixeira have to be our priorities. If we can't get CC, we'll have to move on to Sheets. If we can't get Teixeira we'll consider other alternatives. In that case I still don't think Manny makes a whole lot of sense given his age, contract demands, and defensive abilities, but if we can get Teixeira there is no reason to even consider signing Manny.

I've said this ad nauseum, but I don't think that CC wants to play in NY and I don't think we'll land Tex either considering the deal Boras will be seeking. Even if Cash isn't the GM, I just don't think we spend A-Rod $$ on Tex.

Sheets is scary because of the injury history, but is financially less restrictive than CC I would think. Manny is a spectacular hitter, but is absolutely useless in the field, and we already have plenty of those (and even more DH types with contracts: Damon, Matsui and possibly Posada)

I absolutely agree with you that CC and Tex should be our offseason priorities, I just don't feel confident that we can land either of them.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-11-08, 10:04 PM

I heard he wants to go to a New York team before the Saturday game on TV. I also heard that he wanted to stick it to the Red Sox on Saturday before the game. All though it may be false I'm just saying what I heard on Fox.

And YNKCPT23 Don't worry I wasn't confident when Damon was a free agent that we'd get him. And jusging by what he was saying I don't think anyone else was confident either. And yet we still got him. Let's say we don't get CC Tex, or Sheets. (I could almost guarantee you right now that we'll get 1 maybe even 2 of these guys) who are our second choices to go after this offseason do you think?

teknetic
08-11-08, 10:23 PM
I won't make believe I know what you are actually trying to ask here. Please re-word your question.

I don't even know, you confused the hell out of me. I argued that we had Giambi making 21 mil at age 37 and still putting up productive numbers and said it's not out of the question for Ramirez to do the same.

Either way, CC and Tex should be the main priorities..although I don't see the Angels letting Tex go.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 09:41 AM
We need all 3. This is pretty simple. Then your lineup looks like:

Damon
Jeter
Tex
Arod
Manny
Matsui
Nady
Posada
Cano

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 09:46 AM
I don't even know, you confused the hell out of me. I argued that we had Giambi making 21 mil at age 37 and still putting up productive numbers and said it's not out of the question for Ramirez to do the same.

Either way, CC and Tex should be the main priorities..although I don't see the Angels letting Tex go.

Haha, ok I was confused too.

I can see the LAA spending the $ they would have spent on K-rod, on Tex. Obviously it wouldn't be the same, but they would essentially be holding back from paying K-rod $15M per for 4-5 years and instead be paying Tex $18-20M per for 6-7 years.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 10:02 AM

Damon
Jeter
Tex
Arod
Manny
Matsui
Nady
Posada
Cano

Could you imagine if the Yankees shed Pettitte, Mussina, Giambi, Abreu, and Pavano, and sign Tex, Manny, CC, and Sheets. Do you think Bud Selig would cry himself to sleep every night all winter?

The funny part is, they have the resources to target and get all 4. It's not even that much of a stretch considering who is coming off the payroll.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 10:19 AM
The amount of draft picks we would get compared to the actual draft picks we would have to give up would be pretty funny too.

I agree though, it really isn't farfetched. I hope Hank goes nuts.

Rotation of:

Joba
CC
Sheets
Wang
Hughes

Looks pretty good to me as well.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 10:25 AM
The amount of draft picks we would get compared to the actual draft picks we would have to give up would be pretty funny too.

I agree though, it really isn't farfetched. I hope Hank goes nuts.

Rotation of:

Joba
CC
Sheets
Wang
Hughes

Looks pretty good to me as well.

For once, I hope Hank overrules Cash, and only this one offseason. We may never see premium FAs like this with money coming off the books like this at any time in the future. This would be the exact wrong time for Cash to believe that he has to build by trade and re-signing his own guys.

The way the FA rules are structured, it's actually in your best interest to let your own FAs go and sign someone else's. (best example, Hawkins and Vizcaino).

Also, with the pitching that is starting to make it's way up through the minors, we'd be able to trade for assets that won't be available through our system or FA soon (like C or SS).

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 10:28 AM
For once, I hope Hank overrules Cash, and only this one offseason. We may never see premium FAs like this with money coming off the books like this at any time in the future. This would be the exact wrong time for Cash to believe that he has to build by trade and re-signing his own guys.

The way the FA rules are structured, it's actually in your best interest to let your own FAs go and sign someone else's. (best example, Hawkins and Vizcaino).

Also, with the pitching that is starting to make it's way up through the minors, we'd be able to trade for assets that won't be available through our system or FA soon (like C or SS).

Agreed, they need to make a BIG splash this offseason.

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 10:29 AM
Agreed, they need to make a big splash this offseason.

If the Yanks don't make the playoffs, your dreams may all come true this offseason.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 10:32 AM
If the Yanks don't make the playoffs, your dreams may all come true this offseason.

GM and Manager of the Yankees? Excellent.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 10:37 AM

Honestly, I think the outcome of this season should be irrelevant to how we proceed in the offseason.

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 10:39 AM
Honestly, I think the outcome of this season should be irrelevant to how we proceed in the offseason.

As do I. But you have to believe it'll be a shock to the FO's system when they didn't make the playoffs in the final year of YS, while heading into the new YS.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 10:51 AM
As do I. But you have to believe it'll be a shock to the FO's system when they didn't make the playoffs in the final year of YS, while heading into the new YS.

The last time the FO got a shock to their system, we ended up signing Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, and Tony Womack. We traded for Randy Johnson and extended him on the spot. We passed on Carlos Beltran.

I'm not sure I want the FO to get a shock to their system. We'd end up giving 3 year deals to Mussina, Pettitte, and Abreu and signing Ryan Dempster.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 10:53 AM
Cashman is far too conservative to do the right thing, I hope he gets overruled on this one.

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 10:53 AM
The last time the FO got a shock to their system, we ended up signing Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, and Tony Womack. We traded for Randy Johnson and extended him on the spot. We passed on Carlos Beltran.

I'm not sure I want the FO to get a shock to their system. We'd end up giving 3 year deals to Mussina, Pettitte, and Abreu and signing Ryan Dempster.

If the Yankees sign Ryan Dempster - I hereby swear - I will no longer be a Yankee fan.

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 10:54 AM
Cashman is far too conservative to do the right thing, I hope he gets overruled on this one.

I sense that JVIS is slowly drifting away from his avatar this season.

NHYank
08-12-08, 11:09 AM
The only attractive thing about Manny is his attitude. He doesn't turn into a little girl when his team hits a rough stretch and the going gets tough. He just keeps on hitting the baseball and doesn't fall to pieces like the current Yankees do.[/quote]

You don't watch much Redsox baseball games. Manny fakes injury and quits on the team. He doesn't run out ground balls and even had the veterans on the team say he had to go. Manny's attitude is the drawback to signing him.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 11:12 AM

I'm hoping that Cashman realizes that as GM of the Yankees, he's never going to get the credit he deserves for winning, and is going to look really bad in losing, so he's best off using the available resources to win instead of trying to look smart.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 11:32 AM
I'm hoping that Cashman realizes that as GM of the Yankees, he's never going to get the credit he deserves for winning, and is going to look really bad in losing, so he's best off using the available resources to win instead of trying to look smart.

It would be smart to sign Manny, Sheets, CC, and Tex this offseason. Lets hope it all collides.

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 11:36 AM
It would be smart to sign Manny, Sheets, CC, and Tex this offseason. Lets hope it all collides.

I would estimate that out to around over $400M in FA signings.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 11:38 AM

Absolutely. But it wouldn't "look" smart, if that makes any sense.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 11:46 AM

Maybe. I'm OK with spending that kind of money if that means signing 3 very talented players in their prime and still one of the best right hand hitters in the game.

montrealer
08-12-08, 11:48 AM
:lol: :lol: Sorry.................almost half a billion for a baseball payroll....

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 11:53 AM

Or roughly what we bid against ourselves last year to give A-Rod, haha.

justtxyank
08-12-08, 11:54 AM

I don't think you could get all four. There is a limit to how many type A free agents you can sign.

rajah
08-12-08, 12:02 PM
Maybe. I'm OK with spending that kind of money if that means signing 3 very talented players in their prime and still one of the best right hand hitters in the game.

LOL! Of course, it isn't your money. I'm always okay with spending someone else's money myself.

How can any of us know what the Yankee ownership's payroll is going to be? How can any of us know what makes business sense for them?

I am hoping, based on the expiring big contracts, that the ownership is willing to give out two huge contracts in one off season, something that they have not done before, unless you include incumbent players. To hope for more than two 15 million plus per year contracts seems a mite unrealistic to me.

Remember also that it makes marketing sense to make a splash every winter. Saving some of the budget for the new stadium's second season, and the post-09 season's free agent class probably makes business sense.

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 12:06 PM
LOL! Of course, it isn't your money. I'm always okay with spending someone else's money myself.

How can any of us know what the Yankee ownership's payroll is going to be? How can any of us know what makes business sense for them?

I am hoping, based on the expiring big contracts, that the ownership is willing to give out two huge contracts in one off season, something that they have not done before, unless you include incumbent players. To hope for more than two 15 million plus per year contracts seems a mite unrealistic to me.

Remember also that it makes marketing sense to make a splash every winter. Saving some of the budget for the new stadium's second season, and the post-09 season's free agent class probably makes business sense.

As 3 come off (Andy/16, Abreu/16, Giambi/22), maybe 3 can come on? One can dream...

MissingBillyMartin
08-12-08, 12:16 PM
I don't think you could get all four. There is a limit to how many type A free agents you can sign.

No there isn't.

Mel Marquis
08-12-08, 12:27 PM

Damon
Jeter
Tex
Arod
Manny
Matsui
Nady
Posada
Cano

You can pretty much cancel the season and mail the World Series trophy to the Bronx if this happens. You're also looking at $100 million dollars in payroll tied up in your top 5 guys in the lineup. No doubt the Yanks have the resources to pull this off.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 12:41 PM

No, I mind when the Yankees spend money. I was very against the Posada contract and the A-Rod contract (because I thought we bid against ourselves). I see this offseason as a chance to do something truly special. I can understand not wanting to sign Sheets to a LT contract, but Manny, C.C., and Tex are IMO must signs, and we have the money coming off the books to do so.

YESSIR!
08-12-08, 12:52 PM
CC is a must sign. I think the Yankees will also retain Moose and Andy, so don't count on their $ coming off the books - perhaps we can resign them to slightly lower contracts though.

Tex would be nice, but I think the Angels are most likely to sign him. If not, the Yanks are going to have to pay through the nose in terms of $ and years, and I'm not sure it's worth it. I see Posada playing first for at least the last 2 years of his contract.

I like Manny, and I wouldn't mind signing him if the contract wasn't obsurd.

montrealer
08-12-08, 12:57 PM
No there isn't.

Saw this in another forum......not sure what the rules are........

Is this true?

You are only allowed a certain number of Type A or Type B free agents, depending on how many players have filed. This year, 57 guys filed so each team can only sign THREE Type A or Type B free agents.

Now that Posada, Rivera, Pettitte has officially become free agents,

that would potentially (if resigned) take the Yankees out of the running for Lowell, for example.

Casey37
08-12-08, 01:00 PM
I'd pay Manny the kind of money he's looking for just to see him take his frustrations out on the Red Sox every time the Yankees play them. A motivated Manny is a scary Manny.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-12-08, 01:01 PM
I would love Tex and CC. But I did hear the Angels were looking for a player to hit after Vlad for a while and when they found Tex they found that player. So that kinda worries me that they are going to keep Tex around. I really think this team needs a shakeup. And if we just get CC or Sheets. That isn't much of a shake up. We need to do our damndest to get Tex and CC at least.

teknetic
08-12-08, 01:01 PM
Haha, ok I was confused too.

I can see the LAA spending the $ they would have spent on K-rod, on Tex. Obviously it wouldn't be the same, but they would essentially be holding back from paying K-rod $15M per for 4-5 years and instead be paying Tex $18-20M per for 6-7 years.

I'd bet the bank KRod is a Tiger next year and they'll overpay through their read end too. I've stopped caring about this season and am eagerly awaiting the mass cluster**** of hysteria this off-season.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-12-08, 01:04 PM
I'd bet the bank KRod is a Tiger next year and they'll overpay through their read end too.

Good! That just means we won't have to see another K-orgasm after he k's the side everytime we face the Angels. And one less guy on the Angels who can kick our ass. We win on both accounts.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 01:07 PM
As 3 come off (Andy/16, Abreu/16, Giambi/22), maybe 3 can come on? One can dream...

5 significant contracts coming off.

Giambi 21
Pettitte 16
Abreu 16
Mussina 11
Pavano 11

- 75 million. (minus the buyout money on Giambi/Pavano 6.5) about 68.6 million coming off.

CC - 20
Sheets - 16
Manny - 18
Tex - 18

72 million coming on (give or take a few million on each contract).

Not unreasonable.

JohnnyDamonfan
08-12-08, 01:09 PM

Giambi 21
Pettitte 16
Abreu 16
Mussina 11
Pavano 11

- 75 million. (minus the buyout money on Giambi/Pavano 6.5) about 68.6 million coming off.

CC - 20
Sheets - 16
Manny - 18
Tex - 18

Not unreasonable.

Question though after losing Pavano do you really wanna sign another Pavano? I don't know about Sheets first of all he pitches in the National League and secound he's injured quite a bit. Are you willing to take that risk?

Blazer
08-12-08, 01:20 PM
Saw this in another forum......not sure what the rules are........

Is this true?

You are only allowed a certain number of Type A or Type B free agents, depending on how many players have filed. This year, 57 guys filed so each team can only sign THREE Type A or Type B free agents.

Now that Posada, Rivera, Pettitte has officially become free agents,

that would potentially (if resigned) take the Yankees out of the running for Lowell, for example.

It is true, but a team can sign as many A & B free agents as it lost. In the Yanks case that would be Abreu, AP, Moose, IRod, and Giambi.

THEBOSS84
08-12-08, 01:22 PM

Giambi 21
Pettitte 16
Abreu 16
Mussina 11
Pavano 11

CC - 20
Sheets - 16
Manny - 18
Tex - 18

Not unreasonable.

I knew about the others, I was just listing the $15m+ per year players. Also, don't forget about Farnsworth/Pudge $ coming off.

Blazer
08-12-08, 01:26 PM
I knew about the others, I was just listing the $15m+ per year players. Also, don't forget about Farnsworth/Pudge $ coming off.

This is the way I see it:

Moose + Pavano ($22 mil) = CC
Pettitte + Farnsworth ($22 mil) =Tiexiera with $$$ to spare
Abreu ($16 mil) = Manny with $$$ to spare
Giambi ($21 mil) = Sheets or Fuentes + raises

montrealer
08-12-08, 01:32 PM
Something that's never mentioned is that there are still limits to the type of free agents that teams may sign.

If there are 14 or less type A and B players available, no team may sign more than 1 type A or B player. If there are 15-38 available A and B players, no team may sign more than 2. From 39-62 this becomes 3. The club quota increases accordingly for higher totals of available free agents. There is no maximum allowed for type C free agents. Lastly, a team can sign up to as many type A and B free agents as they've lost, regardless of the above quota.

justtxyank
08-12-08, 01:35 PM
It is true, but a team can sign as many A & B free agents as it lost. In the Yanks case that would be Abreu, AP, Moose, IRod, and Giambi.

I don't think we will really be losing all those guys.

justtxyank
08-12-08, 01:36 PM
No there isn't.

Yes there is. :)

Blazer
08-12-08, 01:37 PM

Probably not.

I forgot about Marte, so that makes 6 possible A & B free agents.

MTYankee23
08-12-08, 01:44 PM
Question though after losing Pavano do you really wanna sign another Pavano? I don't know about Sheets first of all he pitches in the National League and secound he's injured quite a bit. Are you willing to take that risk?

Apples and Oranges. Sheets has proven to pitch to ace level, and his despite his health concerns, he's never had less than 17 starts in season. I'm actually figuring that Sheets will prove to be a market inefficiency, because the first thing people think of with Sheets is "Injured".

teknetic
08-12-08, 02:31 PM

I'll be pissed if we don't. Pick one from the bunch and let the rest walk (preferably Pettitte/Abreu/Moose in that order) This team needs a facelift.

b_joseph
08-12-08, 03:54 PM
This is the way I see it:

Moose + Pavano ($22 mil) = CC
Pettitte + Farnsworth ($22 mil) =Tiexiera with $$$ to spare
Abreu ($16 mil) = Manny with $$$ to spare
Giambi ($21 mil) = Sheets or Fuentes + raisesVery simplistic but you can probably make a good argument for it.
The only one that I would be against is Sheets. I just cant trust his health and we are not the luckiest teams when it comes to healthy pitching.

montrealer
08-12-08, 04:40 PM
Very simplistic but you can probably make a good argument for it.
The only one that I would be against is Sheets. I just cant trust his health and we are not the luckiest teams when it comes to healthy pitching.
Meh.......two or three of those guys ma be back......

YESSIR!
08-12-08, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised so many people automatically assume Moose and Andy will be gone next year. Really? Even if Moose wins 20 games? I think the Yanks will bring back both, especially after the disaster that struck this years staff. Maybe Andy retires, which would solve that end of it, but Moose is a lock, imo.

stupidpunchline
08-12-08, 04:49 PM
1. L - CF - Johnny Damon
2. S - 1B - Mark Teixeira
3. R - 3B - Alex Rodriguez
4. R - DH - Manny Ramirez
5. L - LF - Hideki Matsui
6. R - RF - Xavier Nady
7. L - 2B - Robinson Cano
8. R - SS - Derek Jeter
9. S - C - Jorge Posada

The Yankees have had so-called circular lineups before, but nothing like that.

montrealer
08-12-08, 04:56 PM
1. L - CF - Johnny Damon
6. R - RF - Xavier Nady
8. R - SS - Derek Jeter
9. S - C - Jorge Posada

Put the pipe down.......:badass:

stupidpunchline
08-12-08, 04:57 PM
Put the pipe down.......:badass:

Now batting, number 25, Manny Ramirez, number 25.

montrealer
08-12-08, 04:57 PM
1. L - CF - Johnny Damon
6. R - RF - Xavier Nady
8. R - SS - Derek Jeter
9. S - C - Jorge Posada

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/montrealer07/flyingpigs.jpg

Blazer
08-12-08, 05:02 PM
I'm surprised so many people automatically assume Moose and Andy will be gone next year. Really? Even if Moose wins 20 games? I think the Yanks will bring back both, especially after the disaster that struck this years staff. Maybe Andy retires, which would solve that end of it, but Moose is a lock, imo.

In my heart I want Moose back, but when I stop to think about it I tend to reconsider.

If he'll take a contract similar to this year's that would be great, but he may want a multi year deal for more money. In that case no way I bring back a 39 yo who's having a bounce back season.

Actually I take AP over Moose because I think his performance is more sustainable.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-12-08, 05:10 PM
1. L - CF - Johnny Damon
6. R - RF - Xavier Nady
8. R - SS - Derek Jeter
9. S - C - Jorge Posada

It's more likely the Yankees sign the aformentioned 4 players than Jeter bat anywhere else besides the 2 hole.

TheJobaRules
08-12-08, 05:25 PM
1. L - CF - Johnny Damon
6. R - RF - Xavier Nady
8. R - SS - Derek Jeter
9. S - C - Jorge Posada

Wow that is an awesome lineup. Health concerns with Matsui and Posada (if Posada can even catch at this point), and of course you are rolling the dice with Damon out in center. But man, what a lineup on paper.

primetime714
08-12-08, 05:47 PM

I totally agree and have been saying that for a while. Both guys can still perform and are likely to sign 1 year deals with the Yankees. These guys on 1-year deals is an absolute no brainer if you ask me. It strengthens our rotation and gives us money coming off the books next year. The only reason not to bring these guys back is Pettitte wanting to retire or Moose leaving for a multi-year deal.

If we have 6 starters (sign CC too) that's more than fine. You don't have to go into a rotation every year with 5 guys slotted in there. Especially if you including Hughes who hasn't been healthy for more of the past two years and struggled earlier this year and at times last year. I think Hughes if healthy will be good, but if we don't need to rely on him to be healthy that would be great.