PDA

View Full Version : What teams can sign Tex in the offseason?

KeithF40
07-29-08, 11:54 PM
I'm interested in what teams we will be in competition with for Tex in the offseason? It seems everyone is in agreement that the Yankees win go after CC hard, and go up to the 20M mark and possibly even beyond to sign him.

Now all believe that Tex is going to be sought after full force by the Yankees. I'm trying to figure out what other teams are gonna go after him, here is my thinking so far.

1) Yankees-We are all familiar with this situation but just to reiterate:

Giambi-22M club option for next year, 5M buyout. Keeping him under contract will cost us net 17M, which is overpaying for Giambi's production, especially with his injury problems, so I don't see this being a possibility.

I still have no idea what the Yankes are feeling on this, especially since he is a lefty and the posada situation.

2) Mets-Delgado will be 37 on OD next year and even though hes having a good season, he is not the same hitter he was earlier in his career. Mets have a 16M option for next year with a 4M buyout, so net he costs 12M. I think that is overpaying for his production and couples with his age I think he is worth less than that, idk how the Mets feel about it.

They will only sign Tex if they don't resign Delgado since they don't have a DH in the NL, obv, and they certainly have the money to do so and are being pressed to start winning, well see how they do this year.

3) Chicago Cubs-Have Lee and NL team so no go here.

4) Chicago White Sox-Konerko under contract, Thome 13M option with 3M buyout, so 10M net, so they will be picking that option up.

5) Detroit-Has Cabrera and a ton of hitters, can't see them signing him.

6) Boston-For some reason they had their ears to the floor for Tex before he was traded to LAA and I don't understand why, Ortiz is under contract and Youk is arb eligible, only made 3M this year which will obv go up but won't be a huge number, hes in arb obv. I don't see them going after him especially when they have no catcher and there are some nice LFs in the FA market to replace Manny, or they can obv resign him also which I think will be the case.

7) Seattle-Not much coming off the books, Ibanez who made 5.5M and Sexon who made 14M. Vidro has a vesting option for about 8.5M, dont know what that means but I think that is a players option, correct me if I'm wrong. So that means, to me at least, that 20M is coming off the books, but they need a ton of help.

Lineup wise they need a 1B, LF, and CF. This all goes along with having some players who are having horrible seasons and making a good amount of money. If they were smart they'd try to dump contracts by attaching them to Berdard so they can be competitive in the FA market, but I doubt that is gonna happen and Berdard's health is an obv concern. It would be great for them if they could get rid of Wash's contract, freeing up soem more money to get FAs.

What does everyone think about Seattle's chances, they are fourth in my book in the running behind the number one team NYY and the two teams I am about to list below. I think they need so much help they cannot afford to sign a player who is gonna command Tex's salary. They need 3 position players and more pitching and spending over half your FA money on one player is not the way to do it.

8) LA Angels of Anaheim, California of the USA or Earth of the Solar System or the Milky Way or the Universe-Sorry for that but I really hate everything about them

Great pitching staff, which doesn't need any help at all.

Free agents on pitching staff:
Lackey-picking up option which costs them 2M more
Garland-made 12 this year, Escobar is coming back so they save 12M there
KROD-made 10 this year, finally out of arb and will command a huge salary, I believe LAA resigns him, and if not they gotta go find another closer which is gonna cost big money obv, they are closers. He's gonna command around 17M I think, and LAA will pay it.
Oliver-made 2M this year, should be resigned at a slightly higher salary.

PITCHING STAFF OVERALL: Save about 2M and have a better staff with Escobar taking his spot back from Garland.

Lineup without Tex has no 1B, a good OF, good 3B, decent 2B, alright SS, Napoli is really like over there so they really only need a 1B in their lineup.

Free agent hitters:
Rivera-made 2M this year, should command around 4M next year I'd say, Angels might resign him especially with Garrett leaving.
Garrett-14M option for next year with 3M buyout so net 11M. Obviously past his prime and there is no reason to sign him IMO unless he accepts a sub 4M contract, so either him or Rivera, probably around the same salary. Made 12M this year so gonna have to spend 2M on OF but take 12M off the table so save about 10M.
Vlad-15M club option for next year, made 14.5 this year. 3M buyout so net gonna cost 12M which they will pick up, so gonna cost them .5M extra next year for vlad.

OVERALL FOR HITTERS:Save around 7M with saving 12+2 for Riv/And but paying 4M for a replacement/Riv/And and 3M for the And buyout so saving 7M there. Vlad only another .5M so I'm just gonna keep it at 7M thinking that it's more likely replacement is less than 4M than above 4M.

NET PAYROLL:Save 2+7=9M which will probably pay somewhere around half of Tex's salary.

What are the thoughts here? Angels obv need a 1B and would prefer to have him be a heavy hitter. Delgado and Giambi are the only real options out there. Both should command somewhere in the 9M range so they can have the same payroll but I personally think they will go hard after Tex, whats another 9M to have probably the best team in the league, Boston would still be really close though, plus maybe Tex gets used to and likes LA, well have to see on that though.

9) LA Dodgers-Seems to be in desperate need of offense, they have alot of 115 OPS+ type players on their team, which is alright in the watered down NL West, but is gonna be a problem for them if they ever end up making it to the playoffs, the East and Central will just feast on them not being able to score runs, also they are old and have injury problems.

Pitching staff:
FAs: Lowe-made 10M this year, always solid, should command a slightly higher salary next year, figure somewhere around 13M.
Penny-8.75M TO for next year with 2M BO. Net 6.75M, made 8.5 this year so basically the same salary. Having a horrible year but at 6.75 you cant pass this up, I think they pick up the option.

SP should be good for them, Saito they dont know whats going on with him but Broxton is solid and could be moved into the closer role. I think they still sign a little bullpen depth at around 2M. Beimel is a FA and is making 2M, hes gonna command another 4M as hes having a great season. They lose Hendrickson's 1.5M.

OVERALL PITCHING STAFF:3+4+2-1.5=~8M more as I put the bullpen help up to 2.5 to get a whole number.

Hitting:
FAs: Ozuna-made just over 1 this year, 1.2M TO with .2M BO, let's just disregared this.
Nomar-8.5M this year, no way he makes that next year and hasn't had a full season in a long time. IMO he's gone, so savings of 8.5M there.
Kent-made 9M this year. Having horrible season and he's 40, but other than this season has been solid. No real enticing 2B options out there so I'm at a loss here. I'm gonna say they spend ~6M for a 2B.
Furcal-made 13M this year and is electric when healthy, although he had a horrible OPS+ season last year. There are some nice SS out there like Renteria and Cabrera. Rent has a net 8M TO for next year with Det, I think they will be pretty on the fence with him as he's not really needed but a decent value at 8M. I think with all the offense they have they drop him and use the 8M to get better pitching. He'll probably command somewhere in the 8M range I would say, Furcal after his injuries will prob drop down to somewhere around 10M. Cabrera should be in the same ballpark, say around 9M. Well average it to 9 and that gives them a savings of about 4M at SS.

Team should look like
C-Martin
OF-Jones, Kemp, Ethier
1B-Looney
2B-
SS-Furcal/Cabrera/Renteria
3B-Blake

NET FOR HITTERS:-8.5-9-4-3=-24.5~-25M, say they spend slighty more on 2B

NET OVERALL:8-25=-17M

That looks to be about what Tex would make. Ethier out of the Ethier/Kemp/Loney trio is the most likely to sit. Loney can play RF. Jones might be gone after next year, he will be a FA and has been very disappointing and you can have the trio play the OF and Tex at first. If the Dodgers want to cut payroll then they obv wont sign Tex, but he should provide them alot of pop in their lineup and together with a very young OF, namely that trio, and Martin behind the plate could be a very nice offense for years to come, def good enough for the NL, esp the NL West.

I know they really wanted him for this year cause of all the injuries but I think he is a viable option for the future, esp on a team that really lacks offensive punch, out of the 4 youngsters I mentioned, none of them are HR hitters.

I think the race will be Yankees, then Angels, then Dodgers, then Mariners. Yankees have the income, Angels have the positional need, Dodgers have the power need, and Mariners have a disaster which might force them to go out and get a big name who produces even if it means spending their money incorrectly.

I think the first two are considerably ahead of the last 2 with the Mariners definitely pulling up the rear. I did not considering contract fluctuations and arb figures in this as I hope to have some semblence of a life, albeit not much of one.

JeffWeaverFan
07-30-08, 12:02 AM
Quite the post there. Alright, lets see what we got here.

Yankees will definitely be in the mix if they don't re-sign Giambi. And given his lack of production of late, I think that's probably what will happen. The problem for the Yankees is that Posada may need to take over the 1B position sooner rather than later. But I could see them not being too concerned about that.

The Sox will look into him hard if they get rid of Manny. They can always put Youkilis in LF and sign Teixiera for 1B. At the very least, they would show a lot of interest to increase the price for the Yankees.

The Dodgers, with their owner and with Loney as their first baseman, will have no interest.

The Angels will make a strong offer, but not strong enough.

Seattle? Not a chance in hell. Same with the Cubs, White Sox, and Tigers.

The only other team is the Orioles, who will be very interested. Personally, I think this thing will come down to the Yanks vs. the Orioles (assuming the Yankees are interested).

edit: Let me add that I don't see the Yankees giving both Sabathia and Teixeira deals, especially with Cashman as the GM. That's a ton of money to spend in one offseason, no matter how much salary has come off the books.

KeithF40
07-30-08, 12:11 AM
Well if it's one or the other it's gonna be CC hands down.

Balt would love to have him but they have a horrendous team, they need so much help it's not even funny, who is coming off the books for them.

bmxstreetrider86
07-30-08, 12:15 AM
any team in baseball can afford to sign him, but only few will admit it

KeithF40
07-30-08, 12:27 AM
Haha yeah great point. They just do it to make money, make excuses as to why they don't win ballgames, and because bashing the yankees for having the highest payroll and getting them to pay luxury tax is just too much fun for them.

JeffWeaverFan
07-30-08, 12:30 AM
Well if it's one or the other it's gonna be CC hands down.

Balt would love to have him but they have a horrendous team, they need so much help it's not even funny, who is coming off the books for them.
Not so sure about that regarding CC. Cashman has made a point of drafting pitchers for the sole reason of not having to sign these guys to huge deals.

I'd have no problem with a rotation of Wang, Joba, Pettitte, Moose, Hughes/5th starter going into next year.

ober0n98
07-30-08, 01:09 AM
call me crazy (again), but i think the angels extend tex before season ends (assuming he has the expected 2nd half boom)

bmxstreetrider86
07-30-08, 01:17 AM
call me crazy (again), but i think the angels extend tex before season ends (assuming he has the expected 2nd half boom)

ok crazy

flymick24
07-30-08, 01:35 AM
i know moose has done a lot for us this season, but to re-sign him for another year is playing russian roulette, imo

i'd rather go with a surer bet, and CC is just that... he and teixeira are precisely the type of players we should be spending big money on... not fringe players who happen to have big years in their walk years and are already on the downslope of their careers (age wise)

ober0n98
07-30-08, 01:38 AM
ok crazy

alright. maybe not BEFORe the season ends, but i think the halos pony up the money to extend tex.

ober0n98
07-30-08, 01:41 AM
i know moose has done a lot for us this season, but to re-sign him for another year is playing russian roulette, imo

i'd rather go with a surer bet, and CC is just that... he and teixeira are precisely the type of players we should be spending big money on... not fringe players who happen to have big years in their walk years and are already on the downslope of their careers (age wise)

I'm not too high on CC...just don't think 200+ IP every year is good on anyone. However, absent a good alternative, signing CC wouldn't be that bad. But isn't pavano's contract up? how about sending some of that to resign moose? (because we're obviously not resigning pavano to crap) we can secure our 4th/5th starter slot (after signing CC) and not bother with washburn. don't see why we can't do both :)

I also think tex would be a good player to spend on; i don't think he's worth giambi money tho :P

lots of money's coming off the books! it's going to be exciting...

flymick24
07-30-08, 01:50 AM
mussina is pushing 40 and seems to be pitching on borrowed time already... i really appreciate all that he's done for us this season, but i think i'll be more than happy to let him walk after 2008 and take the picks

it's funny how whimsical fans are... after 2007 (and even the first month of this season), fans were calling out mussina for being way too old and having nothing left in the tank... now all of a sudden, we should re-sign the guy?

stupidpunchline
07-30-08, 01:58 AM
I'm not too high on CC...just don't think 200+ IP every year is good on anyone. However, absent a good alternative, signing CC wouldn't be that bad. But isn't pavano's contract up? how about sending some of that to resign moose? (because we're obviously not resigning pavano to crap) we can secure our 4th/5th starter slot (after signing CC) and not bother with washburn. don't see why we can't do both :)

I also think tex would be a good player to spend on; i don't think he's worth giambi money tho :P

lots of money's coming off the books! it's going to be exciting...

This year would only be the 3rd time in C.C. Sabathia's where he reaches 200+ innings pitched.

KeithF40
07-30-08, 03:32 AM
Theres nothing wrong with pitching 200 innings, thats what a SP is supposed to pitch, Andy did it 9 times already and will be right around there this year.

Tex is a player that I feel is overrated, albeit he is very good, and is gonna command more money than he is worth. If we give him 18M a year, which I think he will ask for, he better be around 400/600 obp and slugging wise every year, like my boy Manny.

No way Angels extend his contract, this guy is gonna be a FA. Can they resign him once he talks to all the other teams yes, but he's not stupid and I believe Boras represents him.

Mussina doesnt have anything left besides excellent control, he didnt have that the other night and he got rocked. Mussina should only be a starter if we have a solid backup plan with 2 good arms. Kennedy would qualify as this to me. Wang, Joba, Muss, Kenn, Hughes we would still need 2 more arms in my opinion, Rasner could be one, I have been impressed with him this season, not for a starter but for a 6 or 7 guy.

CC is def the type of guy who commands a large contract, not overrated in any sense of the word. His career didnt start off great but hes prob the second best pitcher in the majors now behind Johan. Problem is look at the Zito and Schmidt signings. THIS IS WHY YOU DONT TRADE PROSPECTS!!!! You get players on the cheap who are not spoiled and you let them develop.

Andy is not worth the 16, STOP OVERPAYING!!!! You create a monster when you do that and just drive up all these players salaries. If the player is not worth the contract then let them walk, stand firm.

in2dust2002
07-30-08, 06:27 AM

Not a chance in hell. His agent is Scott Boras. He'll never let that happen.

JL25and3
07-30-08, 06:58 AM
Problem is look at the Zito and Schmidt signings. THIS IS WHY YOU DONT TRADE PROSPECTS!!!! You get players on the cheap who are not spoiled and you let them develop.I don't think anyone outside the Giants and Dodgers thought those were good deals. Just because some teams throw money away on obviously bad deals doesn't mean you should simply shun free agents, even big-ticket ones - or even big trades.

I have no problem with overpaying for top-of-the-line quality. The Yankees overpaid for Alex Rodriguez, but at least you're getting the best around. I put both Santana and Sabathia in that category. The problem comes when you overpay for second-tier (or lower) talent.

montrealer
07-30-08, 07:13 AM
The problem I have with us signing Tex is that I`d like to think Jeter will move to 1st in the second year in the new stadium.

montrealer
07-30-08, 07:14 AM
And just NO say to to signing FAT pitchers to long term .

MTYankee23
07-30-08, 07:59 AM
I don't think anyone outside the Giants and Dodgers thought those were good deals. Just because some teams throw money away on obviously bad deals doesn't mean you should simply shun free agents, even big-ticket ones - or even big trades.

I have no problem with overpaying for top-of-the-line quality. The Yankees overpaid for Alex Rodriguez, but at least you're getting the best around. I put both Santana and Sabathia in that category. The problem comes when you overpay for second-tier (or lower) talent.

Exactly, this can't be stressed enough. The mistakes come when people are unable to identify who is top shelf talent, and who is simply coming off a lucky season. I think there's a stigma in baseball with how much luck comes into play in things. Carl Pavano's walk year season was a great example of this, his peripherals weren't spectacular, yet he pitched in front of a great defense. He had a lucky year. Even on TV broadcasts, you never hear the announcer say, that was a lucky hit that just fell in. You always here, "he fought it off the other way" or he "muscled it into left field" which is rarely the case.

This applies to prospects as well. You should keep the ones who have a chance to be top of the rotation starters, and all-star position players, and the others should always be available in the right deal.

primetime714
07-30-08, 08:06 AM
Not so sure about that regarding CC. Cashman has made a point of drafting pitchers for the sole reason of not having to sign these guys to huge deals.

I'd have no problem with a rotation of Wang, Joba, Pettitte, Moose, Hughes/5th starter going into next year.

Not true Cashman has made a point of drafting pitcher so he doesn't have to sign 4th or 5th starters like (Igawa, Wright, etc.). He'd have no problem signing a sure fire lefty ace. It'll cost a pretty penny, but its a sound investment that I think the Yankees will definitely pursue.

Still there isn't anything stopping us from signing both CC and Tex. CC will be the top target as guys who arguably the best (or at least one of the best) pitcher in baseball never hit FA before the age of 30. Plus a lefty in Yankee stadium, with significant AL success, and no injury history. Can you say no brainer?

As for Teixeira it makes a ton of sense to sign him as well. Sure we could bring back Giambi for another year, but then what do we do at 1B, Posada? Jorge is most valuable to us behind the plate. I'd rather pit him as the primary DH and backup C as he gets too old to play the position on a daily basis than make him the everyday 1B. Tex gives us a great switch hitting bat under the age of 30. For an aging offense he makes a lot of sense.

wang+cano=future
07-30-08, 08:26 AM
I think the main competition for Texiera will be between the Yankees, Mets, Angels and Orioles.

The Yankees and Mets because they obviously have the money and have a vacancy at 1B.

The Angels will also offer up some big money to keep Tex at first, and given their history of shelling out fat contracts (Hunter, Mathews, Guerrero, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signs there after testing the market.

The Orioles will push hard for Tex because he is a local boy and the Orioles can have him to rebuild around. Whether Tex wants to sign a fat contract on a rebuilding team is another story.

And of course Boston will probably be listed as interested in order to drive the price up.

What will actually happen is anyone's guess. I just hope that we can land him. 1B has been a big hole for the team the past few season and I don't think Miranda, Duncan, Giambi, Betemit or Sexson are the answers. Maybe it is Jeter.

RhodyYanksFan
07-30-08, 08:28 AM
The problem I have with us signing Tex is that I`d like to think Jeter will move to 1st in the second year in the new stadium.

I don't want the Yankees first baseman to be a guy that only hits 10 HR a year. That's OK at SS, but not 1B.

THEBOSS84
07-30-08, 08:48 AM
I think the main competition for Texiera will be between the Yankees, Mets, Angels and Orioles.

The Yankees and Mets because they obviously have the money and have a vacancy at 1B.

The Angels will also offer up some big money to keep Tex at first, and given their history of shelling out fat contracts (Hunter, Mathews, Guerrero, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if he re-signs there after testing the market.

The Orioles will push hard for Tex because he is a local boy and the Orioles can have him to rebuild around. Whether Tex wants to sign a fat contract on a rebuilding team is another story.

And of course Boston will probably be listed as interested in order to drive the price up.

What will actually happen is anyone's guess. I just hope that we can land him. 1B has been a big hole for the team the past few season and I don't think Miranda, Duncan, Giambi, Betemit or Sexson are the answers. Maybe it is Jeter.

I agree with your post - those 4 teams will likely be the biggest suitors.

If Tex has a huge October for the LAA, he may ask for and get 8 yrs $160M.

Ynkcpt23
07-30-08, 10:01 AM
I agree with your post - those 4 teams will likely be the biggest suitors.

If Tex has a huge October for the LAA, he may ask for and get 8 yrs $160M.

I think those four have the best odds as well--if Boras asks for 8/$160 then somebody else can take him.

RhodyYanksFan
07-30-08, 10:05 AM
I think those four have the best odds as well--if Boras asks for 8/$160 then somebody else can take him.

I bet he's gonna end up taking something along those lines. Boras is gonna start negotiations at like 10/$230 because he's Boras.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-30-08, 10:08 AM
I bet he's gonna end up taking something along those lines. Boras is gonna start negotiations at like 10/$230 because he's Boras.

His clients rarely, if ever, end up with what he says they will get. I realize that's part of his posturing, but we can't take it too seriously. That said, I think the Halos may have the inside track if they go on a good playoff run and he bonds with the team out there.

Ynkcpt23
07-30-08, 10:09 AM

As good of a player as Tex is, if Boras thinks he can push him into A-Rod territory, he's smoking something stronger than anything I could handle.

THEBOSS84
07-30-08, 10:11 AM
Tex is a very good player who will be getting the contract that a HOF lock/all time great would be getting.

AJW
07-30-08, 10:16 AM

He has Scott Boras as his agent. Boras will not extend him and get as much money for him in Free Agency.

b_joseph
07-30-08, 11:03 AM
If that is the case, then it should be easier to get Sabathia because nobody is going to commit to both players in one off-season.
So who ever gets one, will be out of the running for the other.

montrealer
07-30-08, 11:04 AM
I don't want the Yankees first baseman to be a guy that only hits 10 HR a year. That's OK at SS, but not 1B.

In two years Jeter will have to be playing elsewhere other than SS on this team.

b_joseph
07-30-08, 11:12 AM
In two years Jeter will have to be playing elsewhere other than SS on this team.If he continues to play defense like he has this season. Then he could carry on for longer.

Again, he will play Shortstop for as long as he can without hurting the team on a daily basis.
This isnt Bernie Williams just yet or Johnny Damon to start 2007.

Bern baby Bern!
07-30-08, 11:15 AM
I hear he is asking 10yr/230 mil but its unconfirmed..
He is a great player, defensively and offensively but he does hit around 280-300 35hrs and 100 rbis every yr. Those are great numbers but I do not think those numbers are beyond above average that he should be getting 23mil a yr for 10 yrs. I don't sign a 28 yr old to a 10 yr contract.

knickfan23
07-30-08, 11:19 AM
As good of a player as Tex is, if Boras thinks he can push him into A-Rod territory, he's smoking something stronger than anything I could handle.

That's not Boras' objective.

What he does is throw a number out to the public to get a gauge and keeps talking about that number to the point where you get comfortable with it (see: US gas prices). All along, Boras knows what Tex really is worth, but is purposely trying to inflate his value. He may say 230 million, but really knows the number is around 150-160.

He gets the teams engaged, and in this case, they are all in his hands. Boston, both the Yanks and Mets, and the Angels (his new team). Coincidentally, they happen to be 4 of the top 5 payroll teams in the league that just happen to need a first baseman (only count Boston in if they trade Manny) get in a bidding war for his services.

If you figure that a high rollers will offer right around the same amount of money, that leaves the Orioles, the lesser team in the fight, forced to ante up more money in order to get him away from these big teams. They in turn throw the 200 million bid and the "going once...going twice...sold!" takes place.

Just like that, Boras has gotten an extra 40 million of a team by simply playing on their desperation. It's what he lives for (see: Zito, Barry - San Francisco Giants). A tremendous way to negotiate. No one has ever Tex speak publicly on the matter to know if he really wants to play for a winning team or is money hungry. Such a scenario can easily play out in the offseason.

wang+cano=future
07-30-08, 11:49 AM
I hear he is asking 10yr/230 mil but its unconfirmed..
He is a great player, defensively and offensively but he does hit around 280-300 35hrs and 100 rbis every yr. Those are great numbers but I do not think those numbers are beyond above average that he should be getting 23mil a yr for 10 yrs. I don't sign a 28 yr old to a 10 yr contract.

Craziness.....

primetime714
07-30-08, 12:06 PM
That's not Boras' objective.

What he does is throw a number out to the public to get a gauge and keeps talking about that number to the point where you get comfortable with it (see: US gas prices). All along, Boras knows what Tex really is worth, but is purposely trying to inflate his value. He may say 230 million, but really knows the number is around 150-160.

He gets the teams engaged, and in this case, they are all in his hands. Boston, both the Yanks and Mets, and the Angels (his new team). Coincidentally, they happen to be 4 of the top 5 payroll teams in the league that just happen to need a first baseman (only count Boston in if they trade Manny) get in a bidding war for his services.

If you figure that a high rollers will offer right around the same amount of money, that leaves the Orioles, the lesser team in the fight, forced to ante up more money in order to get him away from these big teams. They in turn throw the 200 million bid and the "going once...going twice...sold!" takes place.

Just like that, Boras has gotten an extra 40 million of a team by simply playing on their desperation. It's what he lives for (see: Zito, Barry - San Francisco Giants). A tremendous way to negotiate. No one has ever Tex speak publicly on the matter to know if he really wants to play for a winning team or is money hungry. Such a scenario can easily play out in the offseason.

Exactly. He said 200M for Beltran and they ended up taking just over 100M. I'd look for someone to go to about 8 years 160M. Anything more is absolutely crazy. Boras will try to present the idea that something like 10 for 230M is reasonable, but even he knows that's crazy. That's the most he could ever possibly imagine someone going to, so that's what he is going to say and hope that desperation gets him as close as possible.

ppa79
07-30-08, 01:36 PM
Exactly. He said 200M for Beltran and they ended up taking just over 100M. I'd look for someone to go to about 8 years 160M. Anything more is absolutely crazy. Boras will try to present the idea that something like 10 for 230M is reasonable, but even he knows that's crazy. That's the most he could ever possibly imagine someone going to, so that's what he is going to say and hope that desperation gets him as close as possible.

I would only give Tex 5 years 100 mil. And I think Tex is not even a 20 million dollar player.

THEBOSS84
07-30-08, 01:39 PM
I would only give Tex 5 years 100 mil. And I think Tex is not even a 20 million dollar player.

The reason he is a 20m player is based on the fact that someone of his caliber has not hit the FA market in some time. Supply and demand makes him a 20m player.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-30-08, 01:45 PM

Yep. The beauty of Boras is that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him. He does whatever he can to get the best deal. Might piss off a lot of fans, but his clients appreciate it.

The FUTURE
07-30-08, 01:56 PM
Yanks,Red Soxs,Angels and BAL will be the biggest bidders for tex.

knickfan23
07-30-08, 02:00 PM
Yep. The beauty of Boras is that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him. He does whatever he can to get the best deal. Might piss off a lot of fans, but his clients appreciate it.

Of all agents, would you not want Boras (or even Drew Rosenhaus) negotiating your contract?

Who else can exploit mediocrity (or success) for profit better than him?

If he were ever teaching a sports manangement class in college, I would have been the first to sign up.

ppa79
07-30-08, 02:00 PM
Yanks,Red Soxs,Angels and BAL will be the biggest bidders for tex.

The Red Sox have Youk at first and Lowell at 3rd. They aren't going to spend a lot of money on someone who they don't need.

DaPip1998
07-30-08, 03:04 PM
The Red Sox have Youk at first and Lowell at 3rd. They aren't going to spend a lot of money on someone who they don't need.

If they get Tex, they'll let Manny walk and move Youk to OF.

ppa79
07-30-08, 03:06 PM

Youklis has never played the outfield in his career. If they let Manny walk, the rumor is that they will make a big trade for Holliday.

THEBOSS84
07-30-08, 03:08 PM
Youklis has never played the outfield in his career. If they let Manny walk, the rumor is that they will make a big trade for Holliday.

I wrote this in the Sox thread a few weeks ago. I guaranteed they'd let Manny walk and trade for Holliday.

4degrees
07-30-08, 07:23 PM
FWIW, Texas offered Teixiera 8/140, he turned them down, then they shipped him to Atlanta.

So that's where the bidding starts.

Metroidman
07-30-08, 07:24 PM
He'll want 20 a year

So offer 8/160

freebubba
07-31-08, 10:23 AM
Apparently, as part of the deal, the Angels agreed to allow Tex to become a FA, yes?. With that said, I think they will have a leg up in resigning him. The Angels are a perennial contender. Lets see, if I'm 28 or 29 years old making bucketloads of money, I think SoCal is a pretty good place to be. Not to mention he would be far away from the media circus that is NY or Boston. They have cash to spend, I think they have every intention of making a serious run at him.

Tehasguard
08-03-08, 10:16 AM
Hearing Ken Rosenthal,

Teixeira seems more focused on 10 years than 20mil per year, because he knows he will get that.

ChinMusic
08-03-08, 12:00 PM
mussina is pushing 40 and seems to be pitching on borrowed time already... i really appreciate all that he's done for us this season, but i think i'll be more than happy to let him walk after 2008 and take the picks

it's funny how whimsical fans are... after 2007 (and even the first month of this season), fans were calling out mussina for being way too old and having nothing left in the tank... now all of a sudden, we should re-sign the guy?

My plan for '09:

Sign Sabathia and resign Pettitte and Moose to 2 years each. Gives a starting rotation of CC, Joba, Wang Pettitte and Moose. I see no problem with Moose as our projected 4 or 5. Id give Hughes a full year at AAA and have IPK as the long man in the pen and first guy to replace the inevitable injured starter. By keeping Pettitte and Moose short term, we get reliable and good for back end of the rotation starters, while not rushing Hughes and IPK.

Buy out Giambi and let him walk and sign Tex.
Rodriguez and Molina to catch.
Posada as primary DH and 3rd catcher/backup Tex
Cano, Jeter, ARod and Betemit IF
Melky, Damon, Matsui, Nady and resign Abreu as OF.

Tehasguard
08-03-08, 12:06 PM
I'll take it

but Tex, CC, Abreu, Pettite, Moose and Rodriguez = 85-100 mil extra

ChinMusic
08-03-08, 12:32 PM
I'll take it

but Tex, CC, Abreu, Pettite, Moose and Rodriguez = 85-100 mil extra

90 million, but 62 million coming off for a net increase of 28 million over 2008 opening day salary.

primetime714
08-03-08, 01:05 PM
My plan for '09:

Sign Sabathia and resign Pettitte and Moose to 2 years each. Gives a starting rotation of CC, Joba, Wang Pettitte and Moose. I see no problem with Moose as our projected 4 or 5. Id give Hughes a full year at AAA and have IPK as the long man in the pen and first guy to replace the inevitable injured starter. By keeping Pettitte and Moose short term, we get reliable and good for back end of the rotation starters, while not rushing Hughes and IPK.

Buy out Giambi and let him walk and sign Tex.
Rodriguez and Molina to catch.
Posada as primary DH and 3rd catcher/backup Tex
Cano, Jeter, ARod and Betemit IF
Melky, Damon, Matsui, Nady and resign Abreu as OF.

That's overkill and not going to happen. I'd sign Sabathia and bring back Pettitte and Moose. However I'm not giving more than 1 year to either Pettitte or Moose. Pettitte probably only wants one year anyway and Moose will be offered arbitration if he doesn't want that we'll gladly take the picks, but if he accepts arbitration and I think he would I'd gladly welcome him back.

I'd also look to sign Tex. However re-signing Pudge AND Abreu that's not going to happen. If you wanted to re-sign Abreu you could feasibly put Damon in CF with Abreu in RF and Nady in LF, but with Posada at DH where do you put Matsui?

I'd let Abreu and Pudge walk unless they accept arbitration which I doubt they will. Then I'd go out and get someone that could at least compete with Melky and Gardner in CF like Mike Cameron, Mark Kotsay, or trade for someone.

bomber999
08-03-08, 03:01 PM
Hopefully, us, after that murderous bomb to RF.

TheGameEpisode2
08-03-08, 09:22 PM
I hope he signs here. Great defense that we haven't had since Tino, and great consistent hitting that we haven't had since...well, Tino.

scooterfan
08-03-08, 09:35 PM

I doubt the Sox do this. Youkilis is a solid defender at first, and Tex is not a huge upgrade over him - especially not at something like 8y/160 mil or 10y/200mil

If Cash is still in charge here, I doubt Cash would do this either. Tex is nice - but I don't think of him in the class of a Pujols or Oritz (terrific pure hitters)... and he's definitely not ARod (solid to great D, great hitter, huge upgrade over most 3rd basemen)

I hope we've learned the lesson of not offering long-term deals that kill us at the back end.

A lot depends on who's available in the free agent market. My #1 priority would be Sabathia, not a first baseman.

I also get the feeling Jorge will be playing more than a little first base early in 2009; Matsui sure looks like a full-time DH.

CT-Yankee
08-03-08, 09:45 PM
I hope they can sign him but not for a 10 YEAR. If there was no interest in ARod, I don't know how Tex can command huge dollars and length.

Matsui55
08-03-08, 09:56 PM
I hope they can sign him but not for a 10 YEAR. If there was no interest in ARod, I don't know how Tex can command huge dollars and length.

The media just repeats everything they hear without stopping to think about what they are told.

Seriously. Who is Tex's agent? Boras.

After the ARod fiasco last winter, do you REALLY believe Boras' read on the upper end of the market for star players? Besides, there is a cheaper alternative for most teams in Dunn as well.

Don't forget that the Brewers have made some sounds about exploring the trade market for Fielder this winter too (his arbitration eligibility is going to send his contract into the $10M per range). The Phillies may move Howard this winter as well, to maximize their return (while he is still 2 years out from FA).

In other words, this isn't a one-player market, and as we saw last winter, even Boras gets burned.

ChinMusic
08-03-08, 10:25 PM
That's overkill and not going to happen. I'd sign Sabathia and bring back Pettitte and Moose. However I'm not giving more than 1 year to either Pettitte or Moose. Pettitte probably only wants one year anyway and Moose will be offered arbitration if he doesn't want that we'll gladly take the picks, but if he accepts arbitration and I think he would I'd gladly welcome him back.

I'd also look to sign Tex. However re-signing Pudge AND Abreu that's not going to happen. If you wanted to re-sign Abreu you could feasibly put Damon in CF with Abreu in RF and Nady in LF, but with Posada at DH where do you put Matsui?

I'd let Abreu and Pudge walk unless they accept arbitration which I doubt they will. Then I'd go out and get someone that could at least compete with Melky and Gardner in CF like Mike Cameron, Mark Kotsay, or trade for someone.

If you dont want to be suspended, dont question my proposed roster moves.

steholz
08-03-08, 10:27 PM
Excellent point! :2thumbs:

genius-24
08-03-08, 10:36 PM
Our Biggest need is getting a Center Fielder. Everything else is within grasp. Cash will be truly tested. Melky is not going to work.

SoCal Pinstriper
08-03-08, 10:44 PM
The reason he is a 20m player is based on the fact that someone of his caliber has not hit the FA market in some time. Supply and demand makes him a 20m player.I have no problem with 20 mil per (or even 10% more), but , I am officially against more than six years.

No, no, no, hell no!

Let Baltimore (or whoever) have him.

Tifoso
08-03-08, 10:57 PM
Keep Giambi instead :)

genius-24
08-03-08, 11:00 PM
I have no problem with 20 mil per (or even 10% more), but , I am officially against more than six years.

No, no, no, hell no!

Let Baltimore (or whoever) have him.
Adam Dunn at 1B is intriguing option.

Buzah!
08-03-08, 11:07 PM
Adam Dunn is the best fit. He'll be cheaper, can play OF and DH, too and won't keep Jeter or ARod or even Po from taking turns at first as they age or recover. Teixiera locks up the position for far too long, and he doesn't give them the flexibility Dunn would.

27IsNext
08-03-08, 11:08 PM
Adam Dunn is the best fit. He'll be cheaper, can play OF and DH, too and won't keep Jeter or ARod or even Po from taking turns at first as they age or recover. Teixiera locks up the position for far too long, and he doesn't give them the flexibility Dunn would.

If Prince Fielder is truly available this offseason, the Yankee should jump on that. I think he'd be a better fit than either player.

SoCal Pinstriper
08-03-08, 11:11 PM
If Prince Fielder is truly available this offseason, the Yankee should jump on that. I think he'd be a better fit than either player.At 24yo, he is worth parting with top prospects to get provided he can be extended. Cashman should be all over that

Buzah!
08-03-08, 11:13 PM
I truly fear his weight/heath future.

CanoForPresident
08-03-08, 11:15 PM
didnt he become a vegeterian and drop some weight?

Why would the Brewers make him available after trading laporta?

SoCal Pinstriper
08-03-08, 11:17 PM
I truly fear his weight/heath future.I wouldn't give him ten years either, but, even though he is a Boras client, I think that the Yankees could structure something that would look a little more attractive than what he is making now.

Prince Fielder 1b
1 year/$0.67M (2008)

renewed 3/2/08
1 year/$0.415M (2007), renewed 3/07
1 year/$0.3295M (2006), re-signed 2/06
contract purchased 6/05
drafted 2002 (1-7), $2.4M signing bonus
agent: Scott Boras
ML service: 2.068 http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/milwaukee-brewers.html

genius-24
08-03-08, 11:17 PM
I don't feel comfortable partying ways with likes of Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson, etc. Also, Scott Boras is Prince's agent. so...

Adam Dunn can be given Matsui/Damon type contract and the contract should be done around age 35.

SoCal Pinstriper
08-03-08, 11:19 PM
didnt he become a vegeterian and drop some weight?

Why would the Brewers make him available after trading laporta?He wants a Ryan Braun deal trading some freedom for security, and they are balking.

Ryan Braun of
8 years/$45M (2008-15)

signed extension 5/15/08
$2.3M signing bonus
08:$0.455M, 09:$0.745M, 10:$1M, 11:$4M, 12:$6M, 13:$8.5M, 14:$10M, 15:$12M
may earn additional $6M if Braun qualifies as a Super 2 after 2009 season (increasing salaries to: 10:$3.5M, 11:$5.5M, 12:$7.5M, 13:$9M)
award bonus: $50,000 for All Star selection
no-trade clause 2008-11, limited no-trade clause 2012-13 (may block deals to 12 clubs), limited no-trade clause 2014-15 (may block deals to 6 clubs)
perks: suite for home games
Braun to donate $25,000 annually to club charity
replaced 1 year/$0.455M contract for 2008 renewed 3/2/08
contract purchased 5/25/07
signed 6/05
drafted 2005 (1-5), $2.45M signing bonus
agent: Nez Balelo, Paragon
ML service: 0.129 http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/milwaukee-brewers.html

CanoForPresident
08-03-08, 11:23 PM
He wants a Ryan Braun deal trading some freedom for security, and they are balking.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/milwaukee-brewers.html

Thanks.

Wow that Braun deal is a steal for the Brewers.

SoCal Pinstriper
08-03-08, 11:33 PM
Thanks.

Wow that Braun deal is a steal for the Brewers.But a lot of security for him in the event of a career threatening injury in the next couple of seasons.