PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Yankees Pursuing Teixeira

Pages : [1] 2

YanksFan1992
07-29-08, 12:13 AM
http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/teixeira_trade_talks_revised.html

According to a National League source, Diamondback fans might not want to get too excited about the possibility of landing Mark Teixeira. This source believes the Yankees, Rays and Angels are more likely to land the switch-hitting first baseman before Thursday's Trade Deadline.

As mentioned earlier, Braves general manager Frank Wren spoke to approximately six teams on Monday about Teixeira. Because they would certainly have the funds to re-sign him on the free agent market, the Yankees might be willing to part with a higher caliber of talent.

Metroidman
07-29-08, 12:14 AM
WTF NO

We'll have to give up Hughes for a rental we can sign in the offseason

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 12:15 AM
WTF NO

We'll have to give up Hughes for a rental we can sign in the offseason

no, we wouldnt

who in thier right mind would ask for a hughes caliber player for a 2 month rental? it aint happening

metalboy15
07-29-08, 12:15 AM
If I'm the Braves, I would ask for Austin Jackson + Zach McAllister + C level prospect.

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 12:16 AM
If I'm the Braves, I would ask for Austin Jackson + Zach McAllister + C level prospect.

while then preparing to be laughed off the phone.

sorry MB, id rather have those 2 prospects than draftpicks

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 12:17 AM

switch Jackson with somebody and there is a deal

I hope this gets done. When Wang comes back we would have a serious WS contending team without a major weakness, if this gets done.

The Comic Book Guy
07-29-08, 12:18 AM
Where would he play?

I'd rather just sign him in the offseason with Giambi coming off the books.

Mark19
07-29-08, 12:19 AM
Bringing in a veteran superstar won't help our team. For the probable cost, it simply makes more sense to wait for the offseason.

Metroidman
2 Draft Pics are better for them than anything we can give them unless it includes Hughes/Jackson/Montero

JeterRodriguezSheff
Where would he play?

Gold glove caliber first base while Giambi is the DH

metalboy15
07-29-08, 12:21 AM
while then preparing to be laughed off the phone.

sorry MB, id rather have those 2 prospects than draftpicks
Oh me too.... don't get me wrong.

I'm just saying... If I'm the Braves I would ask for those two guys... plus a C level prospect.

Now If I'm Cashman, I wouldn't deal any of these guys on a possible Teixeira deal:

Phil Hughes
Austin Jackson
Jesús Montero

Metroidman
07-29-08, 12:22 AM
Oh me too.... don't get me wrong.

I'm just saying that... If I'm the Braves I would ask for those two guys... plus a C level prospect.

Now If I'm Cashman, I wouldn't deal any of these guys on a possible Teixeira deal:

Phil Hughes
Austin Jackson
Jesús Montero

Then you dont get him. Its just not gonna happen without one or more of them.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 12:23 AM

Wasnt something similar said about Bobby Abreu in 06? The guy is going to be a free Agent, a two month rental.

metalboy15
07-29-08, 12:24 AM
I don't want Tex. At least not right now.

Wait till he becomes a FA.

Metroidman
07-29-08, 12:24 AM
Abreu was a salary dump due to his contract being long

The Comic Book Guy
07-29-08, 12:25 AM
Gold glove caliber first base while Giambi is the DH

So I guess Damon moves back to center? Or does Nady go to the bench? And what of Matsui, should he return in a few weeks?

I think there's a pretty good chance that Teixeira hits the FA market. For the production he's gonna put up, I'm not really convinced that he'll be worth the money he's going to command. To give away top prospects in addition to what we'll have to pay to keep him -- it just strikes me as the type of move that the front office would end up regretting later.

JeffWeaverFan
07-29-08, 12:27 AM
There's nowhere for him to play...

YanksFan1992
07-29-08, 12:27 AM
Where would he play?

My best guess...
1B: Teixeira
DH: Giambi
LF: Nady
CF: Damon

However, one thing we could do in my mind is send them Abreu and pay for the remainder of his contract (so they could get a few picks when you leaves in free agency) and whatever prospects are necessary. Then the Yankees could go with Teixeira at first, Giambi at DH, Nady in right and Damon in left.

For the record, I would love to see this trade happen, but I just think it would cost too much for the Braves to be okay with trading him to us.

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 12:28 AM
Abreu was a salary dump due to his contract being long

the phillies werent exactly rebuilding, and they had 1 year remaing on his deal

it was anything but a salary dump, they simply didnt want him anymore

Metroidman
07-29-08, 12:29 AM
My best guess...

However, one thing we could do in mind is send them Abreu and pay for the remainder of his contract (so they could get a few picks when you leaves in free agency) and whatever prospects are necessary. Then the Yankees could go with Teixeira at first, Giambi at DH, Nady in right and Damon in left.

For the record, I would love to see this trade happen, but I just think it would cost too much for the Braves to be okay with trading him to us.

That might do it actually

Send them Abreu and a prospect or 2 thats B.

JeffWeaverFan
07-29-08, 12:31 AM
My best guess...

Damon is not a CFer. Our OF defense, and thus our pitching staff, would greatly suffer going from Melky to Damon.

The Comic Book Guy
07-29-08, 12:31 AM
That might do it actually

Send them Abreu and a prospect or 2 thats B.

Doesn't Abreu have a full NTC?

YanksFan1992
07-29-08, 12:33 AM
Damon is not a CFer. Our OF defense, and thus our pitching staff, would greatly suffer going from Melky to Damon.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight for sure, but I would be willing to go through that for the upgrade in offense we would get going from Melky to Teixeira.

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 12:34 AM

thats a pretty drastic overstatement

melky is an average defender in CF, damon isnt much worse.

cue arm argument in 3-2-1.....go

Hobie
07-29-08, 12:36 AM
Doesn't Abreu have a full NTC?

No, I'm pretty sure that Abreu does not have a NTC.

Quite a creative idea....

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 12:38 AM
No, I'm pretty sure that Abreu does not have a NTC.

Quite a creative idea....

according to cots he has a complete NTC

fellows
07-29-08, 12:41 AM

He did, but he waived it for 1.5M to be traded to the Yankees. I don't know if it comes back for a future trade.

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 12:42 AM
He did, but he waived it for 1.5M to be traded to the Yankees. I don't know if it comes back for a future trade.

it does, he waived it to be traded to the yankees, for a specific instance

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 12:45 AM
intersting idea:

melky, young relief arm + prospects

they need a CF, they need reliable relief pitching (being cost controlled for a while helps), and 2 prospects from the non jackson-montero stable. obviously it would matter greatly who the prospects are, but id even be willing to replace the young relief arm and 1 prospect with kennedy

flymick24
07-29-08, 12:57 AM
kennedy, melky, and 2 prospects would get it done

Hobie
07-29-08, 12:57 AM

I was going off of rotoworld

flymick24
07-29-08, 01:00 AM
kennedy, melky, cox, and 2 lower level prospects perhaps

flymick24
07-29-08, 01:01 AM
I was going off of rotoworld

cott's is a lot more reliable, imo

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 01:03 AM

if that were the deal id probly ask for another player, maybe brent lillibridge

Zimmer's Helmet
07-29-08, 01:04 AM

Once you're at it; why not throw in Hughes and Jackson for good measure?

Wonderful idea, let's gut the farm system and sacrifice our starting CF for a 2 month rental.

Excuse me, but MY balls hurt right now...

Metroidman
07-29-08, 01:05 AM

Wonderful idea, let's gut the farm system and sacrifice our starting CF for a 2 month rental.

Uh if that was the deal I'd do it in a heartbeat. None of those guys are irreplaceable with the right draft picks

ICEBERG18
07-29-08, 01:06 AM
http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/teixeira_trade_talks_revised.html
This source "believes" the Yankees.

Hobbes40
07-29-08, 01:10 AM
Uh if that was the deal I'd do it in a heartbeat. None of those guys are irreplaceable with the right draft picks

It's way too much for a 2 month rental. If Tex still had another year on his contract it would be an okay deal, but that's way too much going back for 2 months of Tex.

Metroidman
07-29-08, 01:11 AM
It's way too much for a 2 month rental. If Tex still had another year on his contract it would be an okay deal, but that's way too much going back for 2 months of Tex.

2 months of Tex and the ability to resign him without giving up picks

Yes Id do it.

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 01:13 AM
2 months of Tex and the ability to resign him without giving up picks

Yes Id do it.

ding-ding-ding

i think that the braves would do it too. the fact the people think baltimore is a likely destination for Tex probably scares the crap out of Atlanta.

again, if it were flymicks package involving cox, id want another player (lillibridge) and depending on the prospects i might want another prospect, too (not a great one, but someone with a bit of potential)

fellows
07-29-08, 01:13 AM
Offer the best deal that does not include Hughes, Jackson, and Montero and see if they bite.

Zimmer's Helmet
07-29-08, 01:15 AM

How does weakening our defense in CF and weakening our depth in the rotation improve the team; especially with question marks surrounding Rasner and Ponson?

That's an awful lot to sacrifice for a 2 month rental; especially when we can get him for nothing but money at the end of the season.

If you think for a nano-second that Johnny Damon can handle the rigors of playing CF on a regular basis, you're going to be greatly disappointed.

It's amazing how quickly everyone seems to have given up on Kennedy....

teknetic
07-29-08, 01:15 AM

It's really not. I doubt they go for that package, but why would you pass on having him help this year, along with having dibs on resigning him, and as MM said; do so..without losing picks?

Metroidman
07-29-08, 01:16 AM
Its not giving up on Kennedy

Its beliving Hughes can help much more than Kennedy. Kennedy's not irreplaceable

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 01:19 AM
How does weakening our defense in CF and weakening our depth in the rotation improve the team; especially with question marks surrounding Rasner and Ponson?

That's an awful lot to sacrifice for a 2 month rental; especially when we can get him for nothing but money at the end of the season.

If you think for a nano-second that Johnny Damon can handle the rigors of playing CF on a regular basis, you're going to be greatly disappointed.

It's amazing how quickly everyone seems to have given up on Kennedy....

because that sparkling defense you are sighting comes attatched to an automatic out, and his defense isnt that great

when damon played CF last year, he was still an above average defender there.

and no one is giving up on kennedy, they just see no spot for him now and in the future, and realize he is one of our better trade chips.

tiexiera makes the yankees a playoff and championship caliber team, and likely the best team in the AL

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 01:19 AM
Could be the lack of sleep, but what about IPK, Melky, and Miranda for Tex and Kotsay?

bmxstreetrider86
07-29-08, 01:22 AM
Could be the lack of sleep, but what about IPK, Melky, and Miranda for Tex and Kotsay?

why would we want kotsay? id rather have damon out there

DEADSOX
07-29-08, 01:24 AM
We're starting to clog our bench with players, one of our fielders would have to go in a trade. We need to just dump Sexson somewhere, maybe try and trade Matsui so we can keep Nady in LF and alternate him and Damon and use Giambi as a DH while Tex. plays first.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 01:25 AM

Figured more along the lines of taking on some salary to make the deal more palatable. Forgot that Oakland ate a lot of his contract. Also thought there was a time where he was a good CF.

stupidpunchline
07-29-08, 01:27 AM
Dan McCutchen and Jose Tabata for Mark Teixeira.

..wait.

metalboy15
07-29-08, 01:31 AM
Dan McCutchen and Jose Tabata for Mark Teixeira.

..wait.
Well played.

Tabata
07-29-08, 01:33 AM
If we can't get him through FA, than I don't want to know about it.

Zimmer's Helmet
07-29-08, 01:44 AM
because that sparkling defense you are sighting comes attatched to an automatic out, and his defense isnt that great

His defense is much better than Damon's at this point in his career. Damon has not been able to play any outfield position consistently without getting hurt for 2 years now. What makes you think that he's suddenly going to miraculously find the fountain of youth now and play CF to boot?

I won't deny that Melky's htting has been a disappointment; but his defense and arm in CF have saved the Yankees pitchers from allowing more runs than they would have with an inferior defensive CF.

when damon played CF last year, he was still an above average defender there.

You're kidding right? People were howling for Torre to move Damon out of CF last year; his body was breaking down and he couldn't handle the grind of being an everyday CF anymore. He was anything but above average.

and no one is giving up on kennedy, they just see no spot for him now and in the future, and realize he is one of our better trade chips.

Who is "they" that you're referring to? The Yankee front office? If so, you have no clue as to whether or not they see a spot for him. You're simply guessing without basing your opinion on actual facts.

What we do know for a fact is that beyond Joba and Wang, the Yankees rotation for 2009 is wide open. Mussina and Pettitte may or may not be back. Either way there is still a gaping hole in the #5 spot in the rotation, and it is doubtful that Hughes can handle the workload of pitching more than 150 innings in 2009.

If you want to state that the Yankees will sign Sabathia or Sheets; you're just hoping for the best when in reality no one knows if either pitcher even has any interest in pitching for the Yankees.

The bottom line is that the Yankees could very realistically have three openings in the rotation for 2009 if Pettitte retires and Moose doesn't come back for 2009.

Kennedy is perhaps the most major league ready starting pitcher that the Yankees have in their farm system who could fill one of those spots for 2009. Why would Cashman leave himself vulnerable for a 2 month rental; especially when everyone knows that Scott Boras will definitely lead Teixeira to free agency and will have no interest in discussing an extension?

It makes no sense whatsoever.

flymick24
07-29-08, 02:18 AM

not to sound arrogant, but i think i know more about the farm than you do, and that's honestly not giving up much to get a guy who we'll be needing next year anyway.. obviously, we'd be giving up that package with the understanding that we'd sign him to a long-term deal without having to give up any picks

hughes and jackson are untouchable... giving up melky and cox would hardly hurt us, as we'd still have options in CF with damon, christian, and worst-case scenario, gardner (and it's not as if melky was giving us anything offensively.) trading away kennedy is a risk, but in the long run, i feel that hughes is a better bet going forward (kennedy is at a huge risk for an elbow injury in the near future, imo.)

our farm is deeper than you think, and if you feel that making this deal would "gut" the farm, then you're highly misinformed... the fact that you're so myopic makes my balls hurt.

ober0n98
07-29-08, 02:28 AM
call me crazy, but i have a feeling that he goes to the angels...altho i think the rays have more trade chips. rocco, anyone???

Matt
07-29-08, 03:07 AM
I'd have a hard time believing that the Braves wouldn't want Kennedy and another pair of decent prospects. Are they going to get a better player prospect wise from the Diamondbacks or anyone else? Would they really want the two picks instead of Kennedy + whatever else?

The Dynasty
07-29-08, 07:27 AM
I have no desire to acquire a pending FA (and Boras client) via the trading of anything higher than B prospects. All you'd be doing is trading away prospects for the ability for Boras and Texeira to have you by the balls come negotiation time, knowing full well that you'd never give up significant prospects and NOT sign him.

The Dynasty
07-29-08, 07:29 AM
I'd have a hard time believing that the Braves wouldn't want Kennedy and another pair of decent prospects. Are they going to get a better player prospect wise from the Diamondbacks or anyone else? Would they really want the two picks instead of Kennedy + whatever else?

Depends on what other teams are offering. Personally, if I'm the Braves, I try to stock up on some pitching (starting and relief and/or an IF prospect).

BRNXBMRS
07-29-08, 07:46 AM
Just using the Yankees name to get more prospects, Cash isnt stupid.

R.V.47
07-29-08, 07:50 AM
This makes no sense unless they think Giambi is shot. He will be here next year but for now theres no place for him on the team.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 07:52 AM
It makes plenty of sense. Giambi DH, Damon CF

Abe Frohman
07-29-08, 07:54 AM
thats a pretty drastic overstatement

melky is an average defender in CF, damon isnt much worse.

cue arm argument in 3-2-1.....go

Its way more than just the fact that Johnny has NO arm at all. Melkys range is far

superior to Damons ... Also, If Anaheim gets Teix thats gonna be pretty serious come playoff time.

rajah
07-29-08, 08:05 AM

Maybe because Kotsay can throw a baseball. Have you seen Damon try since his injury?

Meecham4ever
07-29-08, 08:18 AM
Just using the Yankees name to get more prospects, Cash isnt stupid.

Ahhh, the mythical "Yankee tax"....thankfully,that fable went by the wayside with the Abreu and Nady etc. deals.

cupcollector99
07-29-08, 08:22 AM
Does anyone remember that trading teams use the Yankees as a way to drive up the cost for other teams?
I bet we hear more than a few of these rumors before it's all said and done.

Although I would like to see them sew-up Tex for three or four years sooner rather than later, it might not make sense to make the more right now when they really need pitching. I love Moose but he's been doing it with smoke and mirrors for more than a few months now. And the Razamataz/SirSid combo won't give the team many more quality innings when we get to the dog days.

It always begins and ends on the mound.

Art Vanderlay
07-29-08, 08:22 AM
The Yankees primary need right now is starting pitching. Ponson's ERA with the Yankees is over 6. And Rasner's ERA during the last 2 monthis is also over 6. If those guys are starting 40% of the remaining games we are in big trouble. Meanwhile Gardner was 0-5 last night in AAA with 3 more strikouts. I would not let keeping Gardner, a pinch runner and number 5 outfielder, prevent me from making the playoffs this year. I would hold out until the last seond but if push comes to shove I make the deal.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 08:26 AM
Sign me up!

webassign
07-29-08, 08:29 AM
Too much of a logjam. Wait until we unload some guys in the off season. We need a SP first.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 08:30 AM
This is perfect. Cash realizes that the Yanks will have to mash their opponents until IPK/Hughes/Wang are ready to replace Rasner and Ponson.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 08:34 AM
Melkys range is far superior to Damons .

False.

nyyanksfan20
07-29-08, 08:38 AM
Wait and just sign him as a free agent.

aeromac76
07-29-08, 08:38 AM
It wouldn't be a pretty sight for sure, but I would be willing to go through that for the upgrade in offense we would get going from Melky to Teixeira.

Same here..
They could get Melky and some of our pitching depth.
They don't need Montero, they have one of the best young cost controlled catchers in the game and even if we project Montero to be a few years out, McCann is going nowhere.
They'd ask for a Hughes type pitcher, to which I'd say no.
But you talk about maybe an Ian Kennedy type. Recall this is a Braves team who won consistently with guys who were not overpowering. They like the Kennedy types.
Off limits to Melancon, but Cox OR Sanchez could be there for the taking.
No Betances either.

This guy is a rental unless somone ponies up BIG dough, and only a few teams can do that.
Offer Cox, Melky and Kennedy.
I find it hard the believe, with the guy being a free agent and having Boas as an agent, they'll get more than that from anyone.
If they can, and you want to sweeten the pot a little, I am in. But no Hughes, No Jackson, No Montero, No Betances, No Melancon.
After that, I think we can do something.

Snatch Catch
07-29-08, 08:39 AM
If the pricetag really is equal to a two-month rental, I would not be upset if the Yankees pursued this.

wang+cano=future
07-29-08, 08:39 AM
I would do it for Kennedy, Melky plus Miranda. I like the idea of getting Texiera without having to give up our first rounder next draft.

Would Sexson get released if this deal was made?

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 08:40 AM
I hate when we get excited off of a rumor from some lame site.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 08:41 AM
I would do it for Kennedy, Melky plus Miranda. I like the idea of getting Texiera without having to give up our first rounder next draft.

Would Sexson get released if this deal was made?

I'd do that trade in a minute.

We may be able to get Tex for a small package due to the lack of interest from other teams. This can become a Cash special.

aeromac76
07-29-08, 08:41 AM
It makes plenty of sense. Giambi DH, Damon CF

I am with ya Javy, and to be honest, with Damon in CF we only lose on the arm. Damon really can get to most of what Melky can.
We had a dynasty with a noodle armed CFer so that does not scare me.
The problem is if Damon gets hurt.
But even if he does, we could always bring up Gardner to hold the fort (or roll the dice and give AJ a shot). So we are sort of protected here even without Melky..

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 08:42 AM

The Yankees are included in every article on every big name player who might be available...

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty sure the Braves always liked Melky too.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 08:44 AM
I wrote this post in the Cashman thread last night, before this thread was around:

I came up with a trade proposal that many of you will think is crazy but I love it:

We trade Nady (this whole post is based on the assuption by me that he is allowed to be traded this soon after he was traded...maybe PTBNL?) + Cox to the Braves for Texieira.

Why it works for the Braves: They get to have Nady for this year and next. For Tex leaving, they were going to get 2 draft picks. When Nady is an FA after 2009, for all we know he may end up a type-A, thus returning them those picks. An added bonus is that they get Cox, who although is in a bad stretch, I think the interest will be there. Obviously, this would have to be the best deal on the table for the Braves to accept. I would add another player, not great, if necessary.

Why it works for us: We can slot Tex into the 1B position. Make Damon the everyday LF, Giambi the everyday DH. We would improve our defense overall, while also improving big in the lineup with Tex replacing Nady with his switch-hitting power bat.

I would guess there was a good a good chance the Yankees may have been interested in going after Tex when he becomes an FA. This is perfect. The Yanks get to see how Teixeira performs for them in the heat of a pennant race. If he continues his annual second half surge and the Yanks see how valuable he can be for them, they sign him long term. If he doesn't perform as they hoped, they may choose to not sign him to a long term deal.

All in all the trade would be Tabata/Cutch/Karstens/Ohly/Cox for Tex (2 definite draft picks) and Marte for 1.5 (potentially) years, after which he may be deserving of 2 picks as well.

The one major setback in the deal is the fact that they lose a year of Nady.

What do you guys think?

teknetic
07-29-08, 08:45 AM
-Improve defense drastically at 1B with a gold glover replacing Giambi.
-First shot at re-signing him with the benefit of no draft pics getting flushed away.
-Improve our chances to win THIS year.

Or.

-Lose Melky's defense.
-Giving up too much (Anyone not named Jackson/Montero/Hughes)

I'm not gonna get worked up over this as I'm not expecting anything to happen.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 08:45 AM
We need Nady, replacing Damon with Melky is necessary. Having Nady until 2010 is also necessary.

ppa79
07-29-08, 08:46 AM
I wrote this post in the Cashman thread last night, before this thread was around:

We need Nady this year and next. He is our replacement for Abreu.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 08:47 AM
Yeah I know. I wrote that was the one major setback involved. Probably the deal breaker for us.

knickfan23
07-29-08, 08:54 AM

Its the hot stove trade season Boss. Nothing gets one going than useless trade rumors that dont really exist.

Brick Tamland
07-29-08, 08:55 AM
I'm not buying this trade rumor at all. Pitching is the need and that is Cashman's sole focus. Washburn will be here by Thursday.

BRNXBMRS
07-29-08, 08:56 AM
Joel Shermans take on Teixeira.

Teixeira would obviously upgrade the YanksNew York Yankees , but they do not seem in the mindset to trade big prospects during the season for a first baseman.
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2008/07/trade_deadline.html#more

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 09:04 AM
If the D'backs are not interested in Tex, where is the interest going to come from? He may not be as expensive as many think he'd be. The Angels are a lock for the playoffs. Are they going to trade important pieces for 10-20 AB's in October?

Panamaniac42
07-29-08, 09:08 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8390268/Diamondbacks-apparent-front-runner-for-Teixeira

Rosenthal speculates that the DBags would offer a package involving Tracy & Owings and then let him walk.

teknetic
07-29-08, 09:21 AM
If the D'backs are not interested in Tex, where is the interest going to come from? He may not be as expensive as many think he'd be. The Angels are a lock for the playoffs. Are they going to trade important pieces for 10-20 AB's in October?

Tampa Bay is looking for a right-handed-hitting right fielder, not a first baseman. The Red Sox don't have a place to fit David Ortiz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5909), Kevin Youkilis (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7049), Mike Lowell (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6133) and Teixeira even if they unload Manny. The Angels love their first baseman, Casey Kotchman (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7293), and seem more focused on a low-level bullpen deal. And none of those teams would give up its first baseman for a two-month rental of Teixeira. So that still seems to leave Arizona as the best fit.

Despite reports that Atlanta would insist on getting Conor Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7486) back for Teixeira, one source with knowledge of those clubs' conversations says those reports are "not accurate." "'Insist' is not the right word," the source said. "For one thing, there hasn't been that much conversation. That would insinuate somebody walked away from an offer that didn't include him. And that's not the case."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3508338

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 09:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3508338

It appears to be D'backs or bust for the Braves.

LeapsNbounds
07-29-08, 10:51 AM
My best guess...

However, one thing we could do in my mind is send them Abreu and pay for the remainder of his contract (so they could get a few picks when you leaves in free agency) and whatever prospects are necessary. Then the Yankees could go with Teixeira at first, Giambi at DH, Nady in right and Damon in left.

Can Nady play CF? Putting Damon out there defensively, with his shoulder less than 100% would negate any offensive benefit that Tex would bring.

Vin R.
07-29-08, 10:53 AM
Nady has played some center field in his career. so you could have

LF: Damon
CF: Nady
RF: Abreu
1B: Tex

for those who are worried about damon in center Tex would help us a lot and if they could somehow land a starter like campillo or jurjens it would be an absolute steal. i doubt they'd trade jurjens though

how about: Kennedy
Horne/White
Marquez/Melencon
Coke/Claggett

for

Tex
Jurjens/Campillo

pleasepassthesoup
07-29-08, 11:05 AM
Can Nady play CF? Putting Damon out there defensively, with his shoulder less than 100% would negate any offensive benefit that Tex would bring.

I really don't think the defensive difference between Damon and Melky (if there really even is one, since Damon has better range, but a much worse arm) comes even close to negating the massive improvement to the offense that is seen by replacing Melky's bat with Tex's. Additionally, the defense at 1B is drastically improved by adding a gold glove caliber defender to the position.

Edit: As long as it doesn't cost Hughes or Jackson, I'd make the deal.

teknetic
07-29-08, 11:07 AM

for those who are worried about damon in center Tex would help us a lot and if they could somehow land a starter like campillo or jurjens it would be an absolute steal. i doubt they'd trade jurjens though

Horne/White
Marquez/Melencon
Coke/Claggett

for

Tex
Jurjens/Campillo

The same Jurrjens that's 9-7 with a 3.02 ERA making 390K?

Gusto
07-29-08, 11:08 AM
With the prospect of Matsui coming back, I don't see Cashman shelling out qaulity prospects for 2 months of Tex ... especially, when the most impact would come from a starting pitcher, not a bat.

YanksFan1992
07-29-08, 11:13 AM
With the prospect of Matsui coming back, I don't see Cashman shelling out qaulity prospects for 2 months of Tex ... especially, when the most impact would come from a starting pitcher, not a bat.
Yes, but if we were to trade for him, it would probably increase our likely-hood of signing him in the off-season a little bit. And even if we lose him, we would get draft picks back.

dont_ya_know24

Horne/White
Marquez/Melencon
Coke/Claggett

for

Tex
Jurjens/Campillo

doubt something like that would happen. if it did, it would have to be out of those choices:

kennedy, horne, melancon, claggett, AND melky

Kennedy, Melky, Cox, and maybe Miranda or E Duncan (long shot) for Tex really seems like a fair deal for a 2-month rental, and more valuable than 2 picks.

this would also make us deal or washburn IMO.

1B Teixeira
DH Giambi
LF/CF Nady
CF/LF Damon

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Rodriguez
Teixeira
Giambi
Nady
Cano
Molina

pretty damn good offense.

Dannman103
The same Jurrjens that's 9-7 with a 3.02 ERA making 390K?

Not to mention, just 22 years old? Absolutely no chance they'd be trading him.

Also, he's actually 10-5.

Yankees47
07-29-08, 11:15 AM
Kennedy, McAlister and Miranda for Tex??? How abotu that?

metalboy15
07-29-08, 11:17 AM
It appears to be D'backs or bust for the Braves.

The East Valley Tribune reports that the Diamondbacks won't trade for Mark Teixeira or Manny Ramirez.
The paper cites a source who calls Ramirez a "non-issue." The source says the D-Backs and Braves have talked Teixeira for several days, but that there's not enough common ground to make a deal work. The Red Sox, Rays, Angels and D-Backs were thought to have interest in Teixeira, and there's been little to suggest any team will meet Atlanta's asking price.
Source: East Valley Tribune (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/121819)

Vin R.
Not to mention, just 22 years old? Absolutely no chance they'd be trading him.

Also, he's actually 10-5.

i said they probably wouldn't trade him but if they were blown away with prospects its possible. besides you always have to apply the scott kazmir rule, ask for the moon because you might just get it. To bad we don't have victor zambrano lying around. (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20061210/ai_n16901565)

THEBOSS84
Kennedy, McAlister and Miranda for Tex??? How abotu that?

Too expensive for my likings. If I'm Cash, Z-Mac isn't going anywhere for a rental. Especially not along with Kennedy.

themgmt
07-29-08, 11:18 AM

Horne/White
Marquez/Melencon
Coke/Claggett

for

Tex
Jurjens/Campillo

I don't understand why they would trade 22 year old starter for 23 year old starter (especially since the 22 year old is doing better). What is their net gain there?

Vin R.
07-29-08, 11:19 AM

whats more important for the yankees? getting rid of manny for the rest of this season or keeping Teixeira away for possibly 10 years? if the yankees could get a negotiation window i think its worth it.

dont_ya_know24
07-29-08, 11:21 AM
i said they probably wouldn't trade him but if they were blown away with prospects its possible. besides you always have to apply the scott kazmir rule, ask for the moon because you might just get it. To bad we don't have victor zambrano lying around.

actually we do.

LMAO

Yankees47
07-29-08, 11:23 AM
Too expensive for my likings. If I'm Cash, Z-Mac isn't going anywhere for a rental. Especially not along with Kennedy.

You see the sticking point for me is Z-Mac not Kennedy, I have seen Kennedy pitch a lot in the minors, so him pitch in college and I jus dont think he is really THAT good. Kennedy when all is said and done I believe could be a #3 starter at best and maybe even closer to a #4 in the AL. And I dont know how he will deal with NY and we have Hughes, Wang, Joba in the rotation next year along with Betances, Brackman, and hopefully a healthy Horne next year in the minors. I wouldnt deal Austin Jackson, Hughes or anyone on the Big league team. The one problem I see is Tex plays first, Damon DH, Nady LF, Melky CF, Giambi Bench, I know Girardi could maneuver so Giambi plays maybe 3 days a week (which may be a good idea anyways) but I dont want Damon in CF because Melky is jus a MUCH better defender

wang+cano=future
07-29-08, 11:24 AM

Horne/White
Marquez/Melencon
Coke/Claggett

for

Tex
Jurjens/Campillo

Giving up Kennedy, Horne, Melancon and Claggett (who I am pretty sure would be the Braves picks out of those options) is WAY too expensive for 2 months of Tex. I know it would give us a window for a contract extension or 2 draft picks. But there is 0% chance that Boras doesn't let Texiera hit the open market anyway. Anyway the Yankees always seem linked to almost every big name who is a free agent or available in a trade.

Vin R.
07-29-08, 11:30 AM
actually we do.

LMAO

they never went through with that signing but we do have plenty like him.

Gusto
07-29-08, 11:33 AM
whats more important for the yankees? getting rid of manny for the rest of this season or keeping Teixeira away for possibly 10 years? if the yankees could get a negotiation window i think its worth it.

What "window"? Boras is going to strike a deal before involving other teams? um, no.

pleasepassthesoup
07-29-08, 11:35 AM
ESPN radio was reporting a rumor that Boston was looking to make a three way deal that would include Tex going to the Sox, Manny going to a third teamd and prospects from the third team going to the Braves.

I don't think there's anything to it, because I think Tex has more trade value than Manny and, as a result, they could probably get better prospects without including Boston.

themgmt
07-29-08, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't trade IPK for Texeira either, unless their was an extension involved. Yankees aren't in a desperate dash like the Brewers. Saving a pick would be nice but Tex will hit FA regardless

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 11:36 AM
Does this trade assume they kill Youkilis or Lowell?

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 11:38 AM

What starting pitcher? There is nobody good(100 ERA+ or higher) we can add except for Wang and we get him back for free. Washburn will serve as a decent guy in the 5 slot, but other than that I dont see how you can get much better than what we already have.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 11:39 AM
ESPN radio was reporting a rumor that Boston was looking to make a three way deal that would include Tex going to the Sox, Manny going to a third teamd and prospects from the third team going to the Braves.

I don't think there's anything to it, because I think Tex has more trade value than Manny and, as a result, they could probably get better prospects without including Boston.

As a Yankee fan, I wouldn't mind if the Sox do this. Manny is a better hitter. Tex's defense is not even a factor since Youk may be just as good. I don't see the point.

Vin R.
07-29-08, 11:41 AM

that third team might be the astros.

Zimmer's Helmet
07-29-08, 11:41 AM
not to sound arrogant, but i think i know more about the farm than you do, and that's honestly not giving up much to get a guy who we'll be needing next year anyway.. obviously, we'd be giving up that package with the understanding that we'd sign him to a long-term deal without having to give up any picks

hughes and jackson are untouchable... giving up melky and cox would hardly hurt us, as we'd still have options in CF with damon, christian, and worst-case scenario, gardner (and it's not as if melky was giving us anything offensively.) trading away kennedy is a risk, but in the long run, i feel that hughes is a better bet going forward (kennedy is at a huge risk for an elbow injury in the near future, imo.)

our farm is deeper than you think, and if you feel that making this deal would "gut" the farm, then you're highly misinformed... the fact that you're so myopic makes my balls hurt.

Yeah, you do come across as extremely arrogant; what makes you think that your knowledge about the farm system is superior to anyone else here unless you happen to actually work for the Yankees scouting department?

If your knowledge is as superior as you think that it is, then answer this :
When was the last time that Brian Cashman traded a top pitching prospect for a 2 month rental?

You do realize that Scott Boras is Teixeira's agent, right? You do understand that this means that there is no way in hell that Teixeira relinquishes his right to free agency; which pretty much shoots down your theory that the Yankees will re-sign him to a long term deal. Once Teixeira hits free-agency, there are no guarantees that he would be coming back; especially if the rumors of his desire to play in Baltimore are true.

You can sit there and call me myopic; I call it being realistic.

wang+cano=future
07-29-08, 11:42 AM

How would that work? Tex at 1B, Lowell at 3B and Youk in LF?

themgmt
07-29-08, 11:44 AM
The Sox have no room for Tex unless they wanted to trade Youkilis.

Actually there are a couple of ways they could make it work..Move Lowell or Youkilis to LF. Have the other play 3B.

Or they could move Pedroia to SS and let Lowell play 2B, move Youkilis back to 3rd..

pleasepassthesoup
07-29-08, 11:44 AM
Does this trade assume they kill Youkilis or Lowell?

I would assume one of them goes to left, as they probably couldn't be worse defensively than Manny, but I still don't really see the point of it. It doesn't really make the Sox better for this season, and doesn't really effect their ability to get draft picks since both will likely be type A FAs.

edit: they actually lose out on a potential sandwich pick under the scenario that they re-sign Tex. If they make the trade and re-sign him, they just have their first rounder. If they don't make the trade, let manny go, and sign Tex, they lose their pick but get a 1st rounder and sandwich pick for manny. I don't see a reason for them to make this move.

genius-24
07-29-08, 11:45 AM
Yeah, you do come across as extremely arrogant; what makes you think that your knowledge about the farm system is superior to anyone else here unless you happen to actually work for the Yankees scouting department?

When was the last time that Brian Cashman traded a top pitching prospect for a 2 month rental?

You do realize that Scott Boras is Teixeira's agent, right? You do understand that this means that there is no way in hell that Teixeira relinquishes his right to free agency; which pretty much shoots down your theory that the Yankees will re-sign him to a long term deal. Once Teixeira hits free-agency, there are no guarantees that he would be coming back; especially if the rumors of his desire to play in Baltimore are true.

This is ****ing key. Cash has not known to do such moves after change in philosophies with yankees FO. I don't think it will change in near future.

Zimmer's Helmet
07-29-08, 11:48 AM
I don't expect Boston's involvement to go beyond simply driving up the price for Teixeira in case TB or the Yankees really are interested in him.

Epstein is no fool; he did the same thing with Santana and the Twins when the Yankees were interested in him.

aeromac76
07-29-08, 11:50 AM
Boston getting him makes no sense.
They have a GG first baseman, a GG third baseman, both of whom can hit, and a permanent DH.
Unless one of these guys switches positions, it is not going to work.

As for Manny going, I mean its possible, but why would the Astros, who are dead and buried, trade prospects for a rental of Manny?

None of this makes sense to me..

The team that really scares me here is the Angels, they have the pitching and prospects to get a deal done and if they do, holy cow they'll look good..
They already look like the best team, if they add Tex, wow..

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 11:54 AM
This is ****ing key. Cash has not known to do such moves after change in philosophies with yankees FO. I don't think it will change in near future.

If you were talking about trading Joba, Hughes, Jackson, Montero, and to a lesser extent Betances, McAllister, Brackman, or Cole. I'd agree with you. *I'm aware Cole can't be traded yet. I'm not sure Brackman can yet either.

But trading Ian Kennedy, for me, is more akin to trading Marty Janzen or Brandon Claussen than a top pitching prospect. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him for nothing, but I liked our last two first round picks a lot more. Kennedy projects as a 3 at best, that's the kind of pitcher you trade.

Buzah!
07-29-08, 11:56 AM
A bunch of teams were interested in Sanchez... just saying.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 11:57 AM
Boston getting him makes no sense.
They have a GG first baseman, a GG third baseman, both of whom can hit, and a permanent DH.
Unless one of these guys switches positions, it is not going to work.

As for Manny going, I mean its possible, but why would the Astros, who are dead and buried, trade prospects for a rental of Manny?

None of this makes sense to me..

The team that really scares me here is the Angels, they have the pitching and prospects to get a deal done and if they do, holy cow they'll look good..
They already look like the best team, if they add Tex, wow..

Do the Astros even have the kind of prospects to get that sort of thing done? Maybe I'm mistaking them for some other team, but I thought there organization was at the lower end of organizational rankings.

AcidLake
07-29-08, 11:58 AM
I'd love Teixeira, but not now... from the FA, that is

Dynasties R Forever
07-29-08, 11:59 AM
I don't expect Boston's involvement to go beyond simply driving up the price for Teixeira in case TB or the Yankees really are interested in him.

Epstein is no fool; he did the same thing with Santana and the Twins when the Yankees were interested in him.

Yeah, and my bet is what popped out the most to people is that in the end there was no deal...even with all that smoke...and the Sox seemed to back off a bit when the Yankees withdrew.

If a team wants to get rid of a player, I think notice was served not to get stupid with it.

Snatch Catch
07-29-08, 12:04 PM
I'd be surprisingly OK with a Tex deal that didn't cost Hughes, Jackson, Montero, or Melancon/Kennedy.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 12:07 PM
I'd be surprisingly OK with a Tex deal that didn't cost Hughes, Jackson, Montero, or Melancon/Kennedy.

I'd be okay with either, but not both, of the latter two. Provided that Romine and McAllister aren't included with whichever we send.

For the people clamoring for Tex through FA, we'll all be very thrilled if it gets to the spot where we would have picked, and a guy like Porcello or Cole is falling towards that spot, and we aren't there to snag them because we hung on to Ian Kennedy.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 12:09 PM
We have the pieces to work out a deal for Tex that does not include the players Snatch mentioned. Unlike Snatch, I'd trade Kennedy for Tex in a NY minute.

teknetic
07-29-08, 12:09 PM

What leverage does Theo have? there's no room for Tex.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 12:10 PM
We have the pieces to work out a deal for Tex that does not include the players Snatch mentioned. Unlike Snatch, I'd trade Kennedy for Tex in a NY minute.

Ditto, and I'm high on Kennedy too.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 12:12 PM

If I were betting, I'd say we won't have Tex on our team this year.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 12:13 PM

Likewise.

yankeesrule2000
07-29-08, 12:13 PM

I would agree..

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 12:14 PM
We have the pieces to work out a deal for Tex that does not include the players Snatch mentioned. Unlike Snatch, I'd trade Kennedy for Tex in a NY minute. I might do that as well.

Question, does the price for Tex go up if there is a 72 hour window for contract extension negotiations involved?

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 12:15 PM
I might do that as well.

Question, does the price for Tex go up if there is a 72 hour window for contract extension negotiations involved?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that there is no way in hell Tex signs an extension with any team that trades for him. That is of course unless they offer him 10 years $200M.

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 12:16 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that there is no way in hell Tex signs an extension with any team that trades for him. I dunno Boss, you never know what these guys will do. Oh wait he is probably a Bor@$$ client. You are right.

Snatch Catch
07-29-08, 12:17 PM

MT23 understood what I was saying. You didn't.

Ynkcpt23
07-29-08, 12:18 PM

I think the prospect of having Tex OR CC on our team next year are fading. Although I think they will both test the market, of course.

Dynasties R Forever
07-29-08, 12:19 PM
Unless we get Washburn, I think Kennedy is needed for this year.

So I don't believe he will be going anywhere.

Too bad Wang isn't closer.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 12:20 PM
MT23 understood what I was saying. You didn't.

Ok, gotcha.

So I guess we are all mostly in agreement that we'd trade IPK for Tex.

Snatch Catch
07-29-08, 12:24 PM
Ok, gotcha.

Yeah, in a "that's as far as I'd go" scenario.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 12:27 PM
Ok, gotcha.

Sadly, I don't think most of us are. The Nady/Marte trade was a perfect example of what the Yankees should do with their organizational pitching depth. They should fill slots with, and trade, mid rotation type starters, and they should be grooming and signing Aces. Period. They have the resources for such things. Kennedy, by way of being better than McCutchen and Ohlendorf, will bring you back a better player in trade, but I wouldn't not trade him for a difference maker. 2 month rental or not.

themgmt
07-29-08, 12:27 PM
Kennedy will pitch the Yankees into the playoffs.

Snatch Catch
07-29-08, 12:30 PM
Kennedy will pitch the Yankees into the playoffs.

I don't have a problem envisioning this, either.

Bleacher_Creature
07-29-08, 12:30 PM
According to this, the Braves want a first baseman, starter, and power-hitting outfielder.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angteixeira29-2008jul29,0,1456923.story

We can provide a starter, but that's it. I don't like this idea of trading Melky and inserting Damon in CF. Melky's not a great offensive player, but IMO he makes up for it with his defense. Just look at Friday's 1-0 win, that ball Melky dove for, I seriously doubt Damon or Nady get to it.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 12:32 PM
Sadly, I don't think most of us are. The Nady/Marte trade was a perfect example of what the Yankees should do with their organizational pitching depth. They should fill slots with, and trade, mid rotation type starters, and they should be grooming and signing Aces. Period. They have the resources for such things. Kennedy, by way of being better than McCutchen and Ohlendorf, will bring you back a better player in trade, but I wouldn't not trade him for a difference maker. 2 month rental or not.

My point going back to Fuentes regarding trading Kennedy was - We will get two picks for the player we trade for, no matter what. There is a good chance that the Yanks can draft someone as talented (or more) than IPK in the first round, not to mention we'll have a supp pick too to accomplish that. The only thing we will lose is development time. The only way I don't make this trade if I'm Cash is if I think Kennedy will mean more down the stretch than Tex would.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 12:36 PM
My point going back to Fuentes regarding trading Kennedy was - We will get two picks for the player we trade for, no matter what. There is a good chance that the Yanks can draft someone as talented (or more) than IPK in the first round, not to mention we'll have a supp pick too to accomplish that. The only thing we will lose is development time. The only way I don't make this trade if I'm Cash is if I think Kennedy will mean more down the stretch than Tex would.

That's exactly why the Braves would want more than Kennedy for Tex though. They certainly know they can hang onto him and get two picks, so they can factor that into their asking price. That would be the floor for any bid.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 12:38 PM
That's exactly why the Braves would want more than Kennedy for Tex though. They certainly know they can hang onto him and get two picks, so they can factor that into their asking price. That would be the floor for any bid.

I would think they'd prefer an ML ready starter (especially since Hudson may require TJ) instead of waiting a potential 3-4 years for their draft pick to develop though.

Yankee Tripper
07-29-08, 12:38 PM
as fun as it would be to add Tex for kennedy+, I think Kennedy may actualy have more value this season. If he has one more good AAA outing, I think he is one more bad start from Rasner or Ponson from returning to the Bronx. I don't know if he's ready but you can only run those two out there so long and expect to reamin in the race.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 12:39 PM
According to this, the Braves want a first baseman, starter, and power-hitting outfielder.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angteixeira29-2008jul29,0,1456923.story

We can provide a starter, but that's it. I don't like this idea of trading Melky and inserting Damon in CF. Melky's not a great offensive player, but IMO he makes up for it with his defense. Just look at Friday's 1-0 win, that ball Melky dove for, I seriously doubt Damon or Nady get to it.

Abreu, Miranda, and Aceves.

R.V.47
07-29-08, 12:39 PM
This is going to be one of those real 11th hour deals IMO. The Braves have to get something in return for Tex and cant just take draft picks. I still think he goes to Arizona. I dont buy these Manny for Tex rumors.

Gob Rules
07-29-08, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't trade Abreu for Teixeira. That would defeat the purpose IMO. You're replacing a FA with a FA, one who isn't much better at the plate, and you weaken your outfield.

R.V.47
07-29-08, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't trade Abreu for Teixeira. That would defeat the purpose IMO. You're replacing a FA with a FA, one who isn't much better at the plate, and you weaken your outfield.

It also defeats the big picture purpose of brining in Nady which is to replace Abreu in right next year and save about 11 million dollars.

Vin R.
07-29-08, 12:45 PM
if the angels get teixeira it would kill the yankees shot at a WS unless they get something else. the angels are already the best team in baseball and the yankees can never beat them.

YanksFan1992
07-29-08, 12:49 PM
According to this, the Braves want a first baseman, starter, and power-hitting outfielder.How about Kennedy, Sexson and Abreu? :lol:

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 12:49 PM
It also defeats the big picture purpose of brining in Nady which is to replace Abreu in right next year and save about 11 million dollars.

How? Nady would just replace him 2 months earlier.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 12:50 PM
if the angels get teixeira it would kill the yankees shot at a WS unless they get something else. the angels are already the best team in baseball and the yankees can never beat them.

I have a feeling that's going to change this year. Just a hunch.

Gob Rules
07-29-08, 12:51 PM

I figure Nady was just there for left field. I don't like the idea of replacing Abreu with Nady, at least this year.

R.V.47
07-29-08, 12:52 PM
How? Nady would just replace him 2 months earlier.

My mistake I realized that after I posted but regardless I dont see the Braves taking Abreu. They need to get younger at key positions and although Francour has struggled big time I think they still like him a lot in right.

NYjeter02
07-29-08, 01:04 PM
I don't understand the yanks going after Teixeira. This is the first time I've seen this come up, obviously I am a little behind the loop. First off we only get him for two months and I don't see Cashman giving up more younger players for another key vet. Cash has made it clear that he does not want to give up young players however he just did it the other day to get Nady. But we would mosts likely have to give up Hughes to get him? Why not just wait till the end of the season let Abreu go and save some money?

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 01:06 PM
I would think they'd prefer an ML ready starter (especially since Hudson may require TJ) instead of waiting a potential 3-4 years for their draft pick to develop though.

Probably.. but I bet it takes more than one player

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 01:08 PM
Probably.. but I bet it takes more than one player

Kennedy and Cox, it was nice knowing ya.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 01:09 PM
I don't understand the yanks going after Teixeira. This is the first time I've seen this come up, obviously I am a little behind the loop. First off we only get him for two months and I don't see Cashman giving up more younger players for another key vet. Cash has made it clear that he does not want to give up young players however he just did it the other day to get Nady. But we would mosts likely have to give up Hughes to get him? Why not just wait till the end of the season let Abreu go and save some money?

I don't think they are going after him in any serious way. The Braves have made him available, and the FO is doing it's job by kicking the tires. Reporters love to put us in any story about a big time trade, and then our fans go crazy over a potentially huge acquisition.

My guess is Cashman is talking about pitchers now.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 01:11 PM
Kennedy and Cox, it was nice knowing ya.

Except that it sounds like they're looking for bats.

I'm going crazy reading about the "only 2 months" stuff. It's not just 2 months. It's 2 months and 2 draft picks if you don't sign them. And with the way the Yankees have been working the draft, those picks have significant value. If we do re-sign him, it's a draft pick we don't lose, which again, has value.

yanksphan
07-29-08, 01:12 PM
How about Kennedy, Sexson and Abreu?

3 or 4 years ago, that's a helluva package.

Bleacher_Creature
07-29-08, 01:14 PM
More updates....

1:01pm: ESPN's Jayson Stark (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3509653&name=mlb_trade_deadline) says the Dodgers and Yankees have also flirted with the idea of acquiring Teixeira. The Braves want a big-league ready bat, preferably a first baseman, in any trade.

12:23pm: Ken Rosenthal says (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8392006/Angels-join-D-backs-in-Teixeira-sweepstakes?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49) the Angels and D'Backs are competing for Teixeira. The Halos would like to expand the deal to include a lefty reliever like Will Ohman or Mike Gonzalez. Joe Saunders and Ervin Santana are off-limits, but Casey Kotchman and Juan Rivera can be had. Not sure why Rivera would appeal to the Braves, since he's a free agent after the season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I still don't see where we match up....

flymick24
07-29-08, 01:15 PM

the fact that you think getting rid of kennedy and cox and two lower level prosepcts would "gut" our farm shows exactly how much you know about the farm... that's all i'm saying

as for your snide remark about also including hughes and AJ, i think I'M more of a realist than you are. a package of kennedy, melky, cox, and 2 lower level prospects sounds extremely reasonable for both sides because of the fact that melky is replaceable (no matter how much you'd like to deny that fact), we have plenty of relief arms in the minors already and cox wouldn't be that much of a loss (and he's the closest to ML ready, which the braves should like), and kennedy (a number 2 AT BEST, probably a 3 or 4) isn't somebody who you allow getting in the way of getting a premier hitter into your lineup. out of the bunch, the only one i'd be sad to see leave is kennedy, but sending him would essentailly be dealing from a position of strength (as our farm has a ton of RHP) and that's what you have to do in trades. plus, you have to give up value to to get value, and if there's anybody with some value who is expendable, it's kennedy (and i think the yankee FO realizes this, as he was the only name they were willingly offering for santana this past off-season.)

and like i said before, i already have my suspicions that kennedy will be dealing with an arm injury in the near future with his mechanics, so expediting his departure is a good thing. hughes is a better bet going forward.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 01:17 PM
More updates....

1:01pm: ESPN's Jayson Stark (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3509653&name=mlb_trade_deadline) says the Dodgers and Yankees have also flirted with the idea of acquiring Teixeira. The Braves want a big-league ready bat, preferably a first baseman, in any trade.

12:23pm: Ken Rosenthal says (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8392006/Angels-join-D-backs-in-Teixeira-sweepstakes?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49) the Angels and D'Backs are competing for Teixeira. The Halos would like to expand the deal to include a lefty reliever like Will Ohman or Mike Gonzalez. Joe Saunders and Ervin Santana are off-limits, but Casey Kotchman and Juan Rivera can be had. Not sure why Rivera would appeal to the Braves, since he's a free agent after the season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I still don't see where we match up....

LaRoche+ for Tex should get the job done for the LAD. I would never give up Loney if I were them.

I like Kotchman. I wouldn't trade him for Tex either. If the LAA get Tex we got screwed big time considering they'll add him just in time for this weekend's four game series.

aeromac76
07-29-08, 01:23 PM
LaRoche+ for Tex should get the job done for the LAD. I would never give up Loney if I were them.

I like Kotchman. I wouldn't trade him for Tex either. If the LAA get Tex we got screwed big time considering they'll add him just in time for this weekend's four game series.

I was thinking the same thing, instead of knocking is out of the playoffs they'll prevent us from even getting into the playoffs.

Bleacher_Creature
07-29-08, 01:23 PM
If the LAA get Tex we got screwed big time considering they'll add him just in time for this weekend's four game series.

Like they need anymore help against us...

Vin R.
07-29-08, 01:27 PM
Eric Duncans the closest thing the yankees have to a major league ready first baseman. shelly duncan doesnt have much trade value, he would be next.

yankeesrule2000
07-29-08, 01:31 PM
Eric Duncans the closest thing the yankees have to a major league ready first baseman. shelly duncan doesnt have much trade value, he would be next.

Eric Duncan doesnt have any trade value either...He is going to be a career AAAA player....

ppa79
07-29-08, 01:36 PM
Eric Duncan doesnt have any trade value either...He is going to be a career AAAA player....

He's not even a AAAA player either. Andy Phillips was a AAAA player. Someone who could hit AAA, but not major league pitching. Duncan can't even hit AAA pitching.

Vin R.
07-29-08, 01:39 PM

point proven

flymick24
07-29-08, 01:48 PM
the yankees won't outdo a package headlined by chad tracy, connor jackson, or even andy laroche, so this thread is pretty much moot

did cashman put out his feelers and see what they would want in exchange? for sure. but the cost was probably too prohibitive (they probably asked for hughes right off the bat.)

stazsanity
07-29-08, 01:55 PM

very true- if the yankees had any position players at the AAA level that were even remotely major league ready, they would have probably devalued themselves already (see also: gardner).

we just don't have the guns to acquire a tex at the deadline.

flymick24
07-29-08, 01:58 PM
espn radio is reporting that a 3 way deal involving boston and atl and a 3rd team (possibly LA) is in the works... boston would send out manny, which would probably mean that youkilis shifts to LF

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 01:58 PM
the yankees won't outdo a package headlined by chad tracy, connor jackson, or even andy laroche, so this thread is pretty much moot

did cashman put out his feelers and see what they would want in exchange? for sure. but the cost was probably too prohibitive (they probably asked for hughes right off the bat.)

Chad Tracy sucks balls.

flymick24
07-29-08, 01:59 PM
Chad Tracy sucks balls.

i don't think his sexual proclivity is very relevant to this conversation

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 02:01 PM
i don't think his sexual proclivity is very relevant to this conversation

I heard the Braves were homophobes.

Sixty one
07-29-08, 02:07 PM
If this happens, what will they do with Sexson??:D :D

flymick24
07-29-08, 02:08 PM
If this happens, what will they do with Sexson??:D :D

what the mariners did, which was the right thing all along

Yankee Tripper
If this happens, what will they do with Sexson??:D :DThe same thing Seattle did.

Yankee Fan in Boston
I heard the Braves were homophobes.

Rocker's gone now

flymick24
07-29-08, 02:12 PM
3 way deal between braves, red sox, and dodgers in the works?

at least according to espn radio

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:16 PM
3 way deal between braves, red sox, and dodgers in the works?

at least according to espn radio

If the Sox end up with Tex and rid themselves of Manny, I will not be upset one bit.

nyyfan11111
07-29-08, 02:17 PM
How about Juan Miranda, JB Cox, Alan Horne, and Melky Cabrera....that is reasonable

justtxyank
07-29-08, 02:18 PM
Agreed. I don't want the Red Sox to get Tex, but I'd be thrilled if they swapped Tex for Manny somehow.

Where is Tex playing in BOS though? Youkilis or Lowell losing their spot?

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 02:19 PM
Agreed. I don't want the Red Sox to get Tex, but I'd be thrilled if they swapped Tex for Manny somehow.

Where is Tex playing in BOS though? Youkilis or Lowell losing their spot?

Youkilis in left. He's played there before.

Cheesyhoboe
07-29-08, 02:20 PM
Tex in Boston is not a good thing. Where are we going to get our first baseman after this season? You seriously want to sign Jason Giambi again?

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 02:20 PM
How about Juan Miranda, JB Cox, Alan Horne, and Melky Cabrera....that is reasonable

If I am the Braves, that is a lot of second tier players. Not to mention that Horne and Cox don't seem to have fully recovered from arm injuries.

metalboy15
07-29-08, 02:21 PM
Tex in Boston is not a good thing. Where are we going to get our first baseman after this season? You seriously want to sign Jason Giambi again?
Tex is going to hit free agency.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:21 PM

Tex will be a free agent after the season regardless of where he's traded in the next 3 days.

flymick24
07-29-08, 02:22 PM
can you imagine boston getting our two picks after we sign him in the off-season?

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:23 PM
can you imagine boston getting our two picks after we sign him in the off-season?

Our one pick only and anyway, they got our first rounder when we signed Damon...

Cheesyhoboe
07-29-08, 02:25 PM
Boston isn't a small market team like Arizona. They have the money to re-sign Tex, especially once Manny is off the books.

DaPip1998
07-29-08, 02:26 PM

I would agree, but he's a Boras client. They ALWAYS hit the open market.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:26 PM
Boston isn't a small market team like Arizona. They have the money to re-sign Tex, especially once Manny is off the books.

Whether they traded for Tex or not, your post would apply.

Snatch Catch
07-29-08, 02:27 PM

You do realize that if any Yankees Type-A walks, those picks cannot be moved?

So that, even if they sign CC AND Tex, if say, Abreu walks and the Yankees get picks for him, they will not relinquish them.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 02:28 PM
I would agree, but he's a Boras client. They ALWAYS hit the open market.

Tex could always decide that he liked playing there, and they could have an inside track. I think A-Rod showed the world that you can decided to stay where you are, even if Boras is your agent.

Cheesyhoboe
07-29-08, 02:29 PM
Tex could always decide that he liked playing there, and they could have an inside track. I think A-Rod showed the world that you can decided to stay where you are, even if Boras is your agent.

Exactly, if Boston is willing to pony up the cash Tex could have a snug long-term contract before he ever hits Free Agency.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 02:30 PM
You do realize that if any Yankees Type-A walks, those picks cannot be moved?

So that, even if they sign CC AND Tex, if say, Abreu walks and the Yankees get picks for him, they will not relinquish them.

Wait, so they'd get the picks for Abreu from another team and wouldn't have to give up their picks for signing CC and Tex?

aeromac76
07-29-08, 02:30 PM
If the Sox end up with Tex and rid themselves of Manny, I will not be upset one bit.

Seconded..

metalboy15
07-29-08, 02:31 PM
It's not about money.

He's represented by Scott Boras. He'll hit free agency after the season.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:31 PM
Wait, so they'd get the picks for Abreu from another team and wouldn't have to give up their picks for signing CC and Tex?

We would only have to give up the assigned first round pick to us - in other words, this year we would have only lost #28. We wouldn't lose any first rounder we gain from a team signing away a type-A of ours.

ymike673
07-29-08, 02:34 PM
If the Yankees got Tex how do you play Tex,Damon,Giambi and Nady at the same time? One of them would have to sit every game. Tex would be a good fit had the Yankees not traded for Nady. Better to wait till the off-season and sign Tex to replace Giambi at 1B.

Dwelling In The Out
07-29-08, 02:37 PM
It's not about money.

He's represented by Scott Boras. He'll hit free agency after the season.

Not only that, but he's said to be the biggest devotee to Boras' methods. And just today there was a quote from Tex where he talks about how he knows that the Braves are in control of where he goes this year, but after this season he gets to decide. Certainly sounds like a guy who is looking forward to free agency, and the bidding war that will take place over him.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 02:37 PM
If the Yankees got Tex how do you play Tex,Damon,Giambi and Nady at the same time? One of them would have to sit every game. Tex would be a good fit had the Yankees not traded for Nady. Better to wait till the off-season and sign Tex to replace Giambi at 1B.

Abreu, Damon, and Giambi are all in their 30's. With certain pitchers in certain parks, Damon could play CF. There's more than enough playing time to go around in that scenario. Especially with the greenies ban.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 02:38 PM
We would only have to give up the assigned first round pick to us - in other words, this year we would have only lost #28. We wouldn't lose any first rounder we gain from a team signing away a type-A of ours.

That's what I thought... we'd still lose the pick to Boston if they got Tex and then we signed him.

Snatch Catch
They would have to give up THEIR 1st rounder for signing CC and Tex (it would go to the team of whichever one was rated higher in the Elias rankings).

However, the first rounder that they get for someone else signing Abreu is not movable. If they sign two type-As, they can only give up the one 1st round pick.

So, for an example, if the Yankees get ridiculously lucky and Pettitte, Abreu, and Farnsworth are all type A, and they all sign elsewhere...

...AND...

The Yankees sign CC and Tex...

...The only 1st round pick the Yankees will lose is the one that is assigned to them based on their record at the end of the season. If Pettitte, Abreu, and Farnsworth all sign with teams with picks #16 and worse, the Yankees could sign CC and Tex and still have 3 first round picks.

THEBOSS84
Tex is 2 months away from his one and only free agency. Unless he's offered 10 years @ $200M from the team he's traded to, he'd be crazy to sign an extension.

Jglaubman
07-29-08, 02:39 PM
Unless we are trading Nady, there is no where for Teixeira to play. (I do NOT want Damon playing center).

ymike673
07-29-08, 02:40 PM
Abreu, Damon, and Giambi are all in their 30's. With certain pitchers in certain parks, Damon could play CF. There's more than enough playing time to go around in that scenario. Especially with the greenies ban.

Then you lose Cabrera's arm in the outfield. If Damon plays CF every runner will be taking the extra base on Johnny's arm.

DaPip1998
07-29-08, 02:42 PM
Unless we are trading Nady, there is no where for Teixeira to play. (I do NOT want Damon playing center).

Agreed.

Next year (hopefully)

1B-Tex
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Rodriguez
LF-Damon
CF-Melky
RF-Nady
DH-Matsui
C-Posada (get well soon!)

Vin R.
07-29-08, 02:43 PM
2:36pm: Joel Sherman of the New York Post (http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2008/07/trade_deadline_1.html) has the Dodgers in the lead for Manny. The Red Sox would eat most or all of the $7MM remaining on Ramirez's deal, and then receive a player like Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier. Such a deal would enable the Sox to enter the Mark Teixeira bidding.

id rather manny stays for the rest of the year than let the sox have kemp

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:44 PM
2:36pm: Joel Sherman of the New York Post (http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2008/07/trade_deadline_1.html) has the Dodgers in the lead for Manny. The Red Sox would eat most or all of the $7MM remaining on Ramirez's deal, and then receive a player like Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier. Such a deal would enable the Sox to enter the Mark Teixeira bidding.

If the Sox get Kemp for Manny, I'd murder my neighbors.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 02:44 PM
Then you lose Cabrera's arm in the outfield. If Damon plays CF every runner will be taking the extra base on Johnny's arm.

And you lose his bat from the lineup. It's hardly a net loss. We're probably talking at most 5-6 games, and if you do it at the right time, i.e. groundball pitcher, it won't make a big difference at all.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 02:46 PM

Crap, can't we eat all of Damon, Abreu, or Matsui's contract and throw in a decent prospect to get Kemp?

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 02:47 PM
They would have to give up THEIR 1st rounder for signing CC and Tex (it would go to the team of whichever one was rated higher in the Elias rankings).

However, the first rounder that they get for someone else signing Abreu is not movable. If they sign two type-As, they can only give up the one 1st round pick.

So, for an example, if the Yankees get ridiculously lucky and Pettitte, Abreu, and Farnsworth are all type A, and they all sign elsewhere...

...AND...

The Yankees sign CC and Tex...

...The only 1st round pick the Yankees will lose is the one that is assigned to them based on their record at the end of the season. If Pettitte, Abreu, and Farnsworth all sign with teams with picks #16 and worse, the Yankees could sign CC and Tex and still have 3 first round picks.

Thanks for elaborating that, Marte would probably be a type A as well.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:48 PM
Thanks for elaborating that, Marte would probably be a type A as well.

I gave you the cliff notes version.

I expect we'll gain more picks than we'll lose this offseason.

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 02:49 PM
Crap, can't we eat all of Damon, Abreu, or Matsui's contract and throw in a decent prospect to get Kemp? Don't we play this game every year with Manny around the trade deadline? He is probably going to stay in Boston just like every other year.

However if he is traded do you really think Ortiz is the same hitter with anyone else besides Manny hitting behind him? I like Kemp just about as much as anyone but a Manny Ramiriez he is not.

ucfjon
07-29-08, 02:49 PM

I read that as the Sox using Kemp or Ethier to get Teixera, but I could be reading it wrong.

metalboy15
07-29-08, 02:50 PM

No doubt.

Kemp is a stud.

shadyridr
07-29-08, 02:52 PM

Any deal involving Manny leaving the Sox is good for the Yanks. I love Kemp but hes no Manny. I love Tex but hes no Manny.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 02:52 PM
Any deal involving Manny leaving the Sox is good for the Yanks. I love Kemp but hes no Manny. I love Tex but hes no Manny.

What about if the Sox acquire both Kemp and Tex?

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 02:53 PM
What about if the Sox acquire both Kemp and Tex? Depends on what they give up. Who would they be giving up for Tex if they already move Manny to get Kemp?

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 02:53 PM
I read that as the Sox using Kemp or Ethier to get Teixera, but I could be reading it wrong.

That is how i read it too.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 02:54 PM
I'd be very happy if they replaced Manny with Kemp.

Yankee Fan in Boston

But would they be dealing Kemp to get Tex? Youkilis? They still have to give up something substantial to get Tex.

NewEraYanks2527
That is how i read it too. So if the Sox end up turning Manny into Kemp and turning that into Tex I have no problem with that whatsoever.

metalboy15
07-29-08, 02:55 PM
Depends on what they give up. Who would they be giving up for Tex if they already move Manny to get Kemp?
Jacoby Ellsbury + Michael Bowden?

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 02:55 PM
But would they be dealing Kemp to get Tex? Youkilis? They still have to give up something substantial to get Tex. A major league big bat is what the Braves wanted for Tex right?

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 02:56 PM
A major league big bat is what the Braves wanted for Tex right?

If the rumors are true, yes.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 02:56 PM
I fail to see how it makes sense for the Braves to replace Tex with Manny.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 02:58 PM
I fail to see how it makes sense for the Braves to replace Tex with Manny.

The rumor is Manny to the Dodgers...

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 02:59 PM
I fail to see how it makes sense for the Braves to replace Tex with Manny. It doesnt and I highly doubt that happens. They could however do a three team deal where the Braves wind up with Kemp, Manny is in LA and Tex is in Boston. I like that because I dont think Tex will resign with whoever he is dealt to.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 03:01 PM
It doesnt and I highly doubt that happens. They could however do a three team deal where the Braves wind up with Kemp, Manny is in LA and Tex is in Boston. I like that because I dont think Tex will resign with whoever he is dealt to.

I think the Braves would want more then Kemp.

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 03:02 PM
I think the Braves would want more then Kemp. I agree I was just thinking of the big pieces.

Yankee Tripper
07-29-08, 03:03 PM
I think the Braves would want more then Kemp.Kemp is very likey a lot better than 2 draft picks. Kemp + ? should be more than enough for 2-months of tex and idiot GM in LA is probably just dumb enough to offer that.

yankeetomer54
07-29-08, 03:04 PM
I think that Kennedy and Melky for Texiera would be a good deal. I would not give up Hughes just yet and as the article said, the Yankees will probably resign Texira and let go of Giambi if they get Texiera.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 03:04 PM
Kemp is very likey a lot better than 2 draft picks. Kemp + ? should be more than enough for 2-months of tex and idiot GM in LA is probably just dumb enough to offer that.

I agree. Kemp should be enough by himself.

Vin R.
07-29-08, 03:05 PM
well the braves wanted a major league ready 1st baseman that could hit, and thats what youkilis is. i dont think the red sox would trade him but that's what it looks like when you piece these rumors together.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-29-08, 03:06 PM
Kemp is very likey a lot better than 2 draft picks. Kemp + ? should be more than enough for 2-months of tex and idiot GM in LA is probably just dumb enough to offer that.

Probably, but I think thats not going to get the deal done. I think a lot of things are better than two draft picks.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 03:08 PM
I think the Braves would want more then Kemp.

I think they'd be elated, from what I can tell he's the best player that's been removed to be involved in a Teixeira deal.

Always wanted the Yankees to package veterans with pitching prospects for some younger position guys (Kemp, Salty, etc.).

bigjf
07-29-08, 03:09 PM
I think that Kennedy and Melky for Texiera would be a good deal. I would not give up Hughes just yet and as the article said, the Yankees will probably resign Texira and let go of Giambi if they get Texiera.

Braves could get a better deal than that, I would think.

bigjf
07-29-08, 03:10 PM
well the braves wanted a major league ready 1st baseman that could hit, and thats what youkilis is. i dont think the red sox would trade him but that's what it looks like when you piece these rumors together.

Youk for Tex would make no sense from Boston's perspective.

MTYankee23
07-29-08, 03:10 PM
Probably, but I think thats not going to get the deal done. I think a lot of things are better than two draft picks.

Depends on who is doing the drafting and what they're philosophy is. I'm still waiting for the day that the Yankees amass Sandwich and 2nd round picks and pay signability guys like 1st rounders.