PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Trade Deadline/Rumors

CT-Yankee
07-27-08, 02:18 PM
As the trade deadline creeps up and the recent acquisition of Nady and Marte, what are the biggest needs left to address? There are many rumors every hour. Post yours or links here.
I would look for a 4th or 5th starting pitcher but if not, I think we can live with what is in the organization. I also think you can never have enough catchers and if you can get a quality one then do it ( like Benjie Molina).

YanksFan1992
07-27-08, 02:22 PM
My opinion is that most rumors could use there own thread, as ITL II isn't really "that" structured. It seems that most of the players we are targeting deserve there own thread (or already have one), so I don't know what we can post in this thread.

If other people are for this, I think it could be a good idea though.

CT-Yankee
07-27-08, 02:24 PM
My opinion is that most rumors could use there own thread, as ITL II isn't really "that" structured. It seems that most of the players we are targeting deserve there own thread (or already have one), so I don't know what we can post in this thread.

If other people are for this, I think it could be a good idea though.
Yeah I think a solid rumor should have it own thread but there are a lot that come and go so maybe this is a good place to ferret them out.:)

primetime714
I guess starting pitcher. I'm not crazy about the guys being rumored (Washburn, Bannister), but I'm also really not crazy about our current #4 and 5 starters. I'm hoping for Kennedy to have a successful return, but I guess that's not something to bank on.

YanksFan1992
Yeah I think a solid rumor should have it own thread but there are a lot that come and go so maybe this is a good place to ferret them out.:)

Sounds like a plan. :D

CT-Yankee
07-27-08, 02:38 PM
I guess starting pitcher. I'm not crazy about the guys being rumored (Washburn, Bannister), but I'm also really not crazy about our current #4 and 5 starters. I'm hoping for Kennedy to have a successful return, but I guess that's not something to bank on.

I think if Cashman can get a solid 4th or 5th, then I'd give Kennedy another shot. I like that Ponson is riding some luck but for how long? Not real crazy about Bannister but I think Washburn would do.

CptCrunch
07-27-08, 03:08 PM
Sal Fasano

aeromac76
07-27-08, 03:33 PM
Sal Fasano

Season hinges on him coming here and having his stache battle with Giambi's..

continentalg5
07-27-08, 07:20 PM
I know that Billy Beane is not dumb, but what would it take to get Justin Duchscherer?

bcom33
07-27-08, 07:32 PM
I know that Billy Beane is not dumb, but what would it take to get Justin Duchscherer?

Hughes and Jackson

Snatch Catch
07-27-08, 07:33 PM

Have him throw like he did in his last start at SWB a few more times.

dan66
07-27-08, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know how well Nady can play first base?

Also I would like another batter who can play all outfield positions. Ryan Spilborghs would be a good get.

aeromac76
07-28-08, 10:08 AM
I think the yankees will get Washburn.
Seattle is playing hardball but no one is giving them a real commodity and paying that deal. Once they realize the Yankees will take every dollar, they'll take a sack of old socks for him and we'll get that deal done..
Other than that, I think we are just about finished here..

CT-Yankee
07-28-08, 10:46 AM
Abraham has some trade notes in here but nothing really new. Melky to KC for Bannister met with mild interest.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS01/807280359/0/SPORTS

JohnnyDamonfan
07-28-08, 10:52 AM
A starting pitcher. We can not keep going like this with Rasner and Ponson.

jeterdaman
07-28-08, 10:55 AM
I think we're good to go. Once we get Hughes and Wang back, which should hopefully be in a 2-3 weeks, then we have this rotation:

Joba
Wang
Pettite
Mussina
Hughes

Brick Tamland
07-28-08, 10:57 AM
I voted for nothing since I am hoping the Yanks give Kennedy another shot and he performs well...then again, hope is not a strategy...On second thought, getting a starter would be a good move. Just don't get fleeced.

Meecham4ever
07-28-08, 11:00 AM
Jackson
Cano
Griffey
Girardi
Putz
Hamilton
Uecker
Matsui

JohnnyDamonfan
07-28-08, 11:01 AM
I think we're good to go. Once we get Hughes and Wang back, which should hopefully be in a 2-3 weeks, then we have this rotation:

Joba
Wang
Pettite
Mussina
Hughes

I don't know I don't think Wang will be back till late August early September. By that time I don't know where we're gonna be if we keep trotting Rasner/Ponson out there. Maybe we should give Kennedy another shot isn't he doing well in the minors? I wouldn't mind a rotation of

Joba

Pettitte

Mussina

Hughes

Kennedy

just at least till Wang comes back. Rasner might be good in the bullpen or you can always DFA Ponson and Rasner.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-28-08, 11:03 AM

Joba
Wang
Pettite
Mussina
Hughes

Why do people continue to think that Wang is going to be back any time soon? Wang's leg is still in a cast, and if/when it comes off in a week or so, he is going to need plenty of rehab. The question is whether we are going to see him again this year.

Brick Tamland
07-28-08, 11:17 AM
Why do people continue to think that Wang is going to be back any time soon? Wang's leg is still in a cast, and if/when it comes off in a week or so, he is going to need plenty of rehab. The question is whether we are going to see him again this year.

I think he's got a decent chance to come back in September but you are right, he shouldn't be penciled in. Hughes could be back soon, but will be he effective? Kennedy has been doing well in the minors but that's not news and I don't think they'll end up giving him another shot until next year. Washburn will probably be on a plane to NY tonight.

NewEraYanks2527
07-28-08, 12:53 PM
You can never have enough starting pitching.

Pitching wins championships.

Can you guess which i voted for?

CT-Yankee
07-29-08, 04:51 PM
Latest in another thread is Maddux. Not crazy about him at this point but I think everyone puts the Yanks in any rumor to generate interest.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 04:57 PM
You can never have enough starting pitching.

Pitching wins championships.

Can you guess which i voted for?

Scoring more runs than your opponents in the playoffs wins championships, regardless of how you accomplish. Once Wang gets back i like our 4 man rotation. This offense still has some holes however.

NewEraYanks2527
07-29-08, 05:08 PM
Scoring more runs than your opponents in the playoffs wins championships, regardless of how you accomplish. Once Wang gets back i like our 4 man rotation. This offense still has some holes however. Not giving up any runs and having a shut down closer really helps that fact. Just ask yourself what is more valuable, a .300, 50 HR, 130 RBI guy or a dominant shutdown pitcher? Wang is not coming back till September at best and even then do you really think he will be sharp for the postseason?

CT-Yankee
07-29-08, 05:34 PM
Who does Milwaukee have of interest? They need a reliever and we have some to trade.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 05:45 PM
Not giving up any runs and having a shut down closer really helps that fact. Just ask yourself what is more valuable, a .300, 50 HR, 130 RBI guy or a dominant shutdown pitcher? Wang is not coming back till September at best and even then do you really think he will be sharp for the postseason?

Both of those are insanely valuable. Your starter giving up 2 runs over 9 doesnt help if you get shut out. Hitting helps just as much as starting, you need both.

Wang should end up getting about about 4 mlb starts before playoff time, that should be enough

Brick Tamland
07-29-08, 07:21 PM
How long before Aceves gets a start? Waiting for Sept. call ups?

montrealer
07-29-08, 09:33 PM
where`s the "all the above" option?

Ynkcpt23
07-29-08, 09:44 PM
Not giving up any runs and having a shut down closer really helps that fact. Just ask yourself what is more valuable, a .300, 50 HR, 130 RBI guy or a dominant shutdown pitcher? Wang is not coming back till September at best and even then do you really think he will be sharp for the postseason?

Wang's cast came off today, but he's on crutches. September is the best we can hope for. Part of these arguments are purely ridiculous. You take the .300, 50 HR, 130 rbi guy for the regular season. For the playoffs you need at least 3 shut down starters. The reason we haven't won a WS since 2000? Pitching didn't get it done. We don't HAVE to get Washburn, but how many here are willing to blank out the beginning of the season and give the key to the rest of this season to IPK and Hughes. I like them both, and I think with time they will be good pitchers. But we're close enough to honestly think about the playoffs this year. A bat would be nice, but we need a starter.

Prison Mike
07-29-08, 09:47 PM
Not exactly a trade rumor- just something that was brought up on MLBTR:

Kennedy to Texas for Salty straight up?

Ynkcpt23
07-29-08, 09:52 PM

Whoa. Interesting, but difficult to say who ends up on the short end of this deal...

CT-Yankee
07-29-08, 09:53 PM

Interesting but I want more...How bout that Hamilton guy thrown in??? ;)

ICEBERG18
07-29-08, 09:53 PM

I would make that trade. I have a good feeling about Salty going forward, he's only 23.

Prison Mike
07-29-08, 09:56 PM
I think I would, too.

Ynkcpt23
07-29-08, 10:06 PM
I would make that trade. I have a good feeling about Salty going forward, he's only 23.

The good thing about this idea is that we could clear out even more $$ from the payroll. Giambi goes, Posada moves to 1B full time, less stress on the legs and shoulder for him (not to mention that great bat full time), removing the need to mess around with Tex in the offseason (and the $$$$$$ he'd command), so we can concentrate on the moves we need to make to set up our rotation. The more I think about this, the more I like it,...which means it's a BS rumor.

CT-Yankee
07-29-08, 10:06 PM
Catcher of the future? hmmm I think I would pull the trigger on this too.

knickfan23
07-29-08, 10:22 PM

Did they mention that the reason why Texas is putting him on the block is because they view him as not being a good catcher and thus will be moving to either 1st or 3rd base within the next 2 years?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-30-08, 09:03 AM
Did they mention that the reason why Texas is putting him on the block is because they view him as not being a good catcher and thus will be moving to either 1st or 3rd base within the next 2 years?
That could be because they have other young catching options that can provide better defense and hit their weight. The Yankees don't.

primetime714
07-30-08, 09:10 AM
That could be because they have other young catching options that can provide better defense and hit their weight. The Yankees don't.

It could also be that in his two years in the majors he's thrown out 17% of runners the same percentage as Posada in 2008. While the Texas pitching staff is terrible he also hasn't shown much yet in terms of calling games and managing pitchers.

Salty's defense is the one thing that really scares me about him. Otherwise I would do this deal in a heartbeat.

THEBOSS84
07-30-08, 09:23 AM
That IPK for Salty trade has been up brought up here for over a week now. I'd do it in a minute and throw in a reliever if necessary.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-30-08, 10:17 AM
It could also be that in his two years in the majors he's thrown out 17% of runners the same percentage as Posada in 2008. While the Texas pitching staff is terrible he also hasn't shown much yet in terms of calling games and managing pitchers.

Salty's defense is the one thing that really scares me about him. Otherwise I would do this deal in a heartbeat.

I agree. We are going to have a lot of young pitchers in the next few years, and it will be important to have a good catcher. It's also kind of scary that he is throwing out runners at Posada's 2008 rate...

THEBOSS84
07-30-08, 10:20 AM
I agree. We are going to have a lot of young pitchers in the next few years, and it will be important to have a good catcher. It's also kind of scary that he is throwing out runners at Posada's 2008 rate...

He has an .800 OPS vs RHP.

Have him split time down the middle with Molina.

I'd love to trade RHP for position players.

Ynkcpt23
07-30-08, 10:30 AM

You're preaching to the choir, BOSS!!

MTYankee23
07-30-08, 11:50 AM

Especially mid to back end of rotation RHP and non-Melancon relievers.

Brick Tamland
07-30-08, 11:56 AM
Jerome was just on the fan with Chris Carlin screaming at the top of his lungs that the Yankees need to get either Padilla or Arroyo if the Washburn trade isn't happening.

Simply hysterical. He was more fired up than I've heard him in quite some time. I think he actually said something to the effect of "Ponson and Rasner are SH*T!" and then got cut off.

MTYankee23
07-30-08, 12:04 PM
Jerome was just on the fan with Chris Carlin screaming at the top of his lungs that the Yankees need to get either Padilla or Arroyo if the Washburn trade isn't happening.

Simply hysterical. He was more fired up than I've heard him in quite some time. I think he actually said something to the effect of "Ponson and Rasner are SH*T!" and then got cut off.

Oh dear god no, can we please stop putting a premium on proven middling right handed starters.

Honestly, Padilla, Arroyo, Rasner, Kennedy, Aceves, Giese. In my mind the difference over such a short time frame is going to be negligible.

Dannman103
07-30-08, 08:52 PM
Can anyone remember a bigger trading deadline than this one? I mean, look at the names: Sabathia, Harden, Nady, Marte, Teixeira, Pudge, and maybe even Manny all switching teams. And there's still time for more. If Manny did go, that would be two future Hall of Famers and the reigning AL Cy Young all being traded, along with a lot of other solid to very good players. I like this kind of stuff.

CT-Yankee
07-30-08, 08:57 PM
Can anyone remember a bigger trading deadline than this one? I mean, look at the names: Sabathia, Harden, Nady, Marte, Teixeira, Pudge, and maybe even Manny all switching teams. And there's still time for more. If Manny did go, that would be two future Hall of Famers and the reigning AL Cy Young all being traded, along with a lot of other solid to very good players. I like this kind of stuff.

Yeah, it has been kinda cool following it this year. Seems like a lot of early action this year. Wonder if tomorrow will be a flurry of activity of teams that missed the boat and feel they have to make some moves for their fans.
I think Cashman isn't done. There are a few extra parts to move around yet. Washburn or someone else?

Dannman103
07-30-08, 08:59 PM
Yeah, it has been kinda cool following it this year. Seems like a lot of early action this year. Wonder if tomorrow will be a flurry of activity of teams that missed the boat and feel they have to make some moves for their fans.
I think Cashman isn't done. There are a few extra parts to move around yet. Washburn or someone else?

You would think considering the way he's gone all out to improve the lineup and bullpen that he wouldn't stop there. This team does still have the need for another SP. Washburn could still happen if the Mariners back down. But given the fact that virtually no one saw the Nady/Marte or Pudge deals coming, who knows what else Cashman could put together before the deadline. I have a lot of faith in him.

CT-Yankee
07-30-08, 09:49 PM
I guess the Washburn move has really cooled off. Haven't seen one new story on it. With the other moves today, I still think this is the biggest need. Not necessarily Washburn but a solid SP.

NelsonMuntz
07-30-08, 11:09 PM
I guess the Washburn move has really cooled off. Haven't seen one new story on it. With the other moves today, I still think this is the biggest need. Not necessarily Washburn but a solid SP.
If it was any team other than the Mariners that we were dealing with I'd say the trade still happens. But I'm convinced Seattle truly believes that they deserve legitimate talent in return for Washburn despite the fact that he's a pretty mediocre pitcher making a ton of money and they'd benefit just by shedding his salary.

NYYDragoon
07-30-08, 11:16 PM
Can anyone remember a bigger trading deadline than this one? I mean, look at the names: Sabathia, Harden, Nady, Marte, Teixeira, Pudge, and maybe even Manny all switching teams. And there's still time for more. If Manny did go, that would be two future Hall of Famers and the reigning AL Cy Young all being traded, along with a lot of other solid to very good players. I like this kind of stuff.I the past I remember single headline moves. But you're right--this year we have a series of headline moves. It is indeed great.

StatenIslandYankee
07-31-08, 12:55 AM
we still have not addressed our biggest need

flymick24
07-31-08, 01:03 AM
other = new 3B coach

StatenIslandYankee
07-31-08, 01:04 AM
other = new 3B coachWINDMILL!!!

ajra21
07-31-08, 05:58 AM
love this. the article itself is not particularly funny but scroll down and read the bit about miggy going to the red sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080729&sportCat=mlb

at least someone at espn can see the wood for the trees.

ajra21
07-31-08, 06:13 AM
but then espn go back to having the nose up boston back-side with this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3510650

the only deal in which the team who really improved following their trade for BIG talent is boston, and epstein gets a glowing report. typical.

BRONXBOMBERS06
07-31-08, 08:32 AM
Ken Rosenthal reports Ken Griffey Jr gets traded to Chi White Sox

Dannman103
07-31-08, 09:10 AM
love this. the article itself is not particularly funny but scroll down and read the bit about miggy going to the red sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080729&sportCat=mlb

at least someone at espn can see the wood for the trees.

The Red Sox are looking to acquire a shortstop and may have targeted Miguel Tejada of the Houston Astros. If Tejada goes to Boston, it is expected that his name will be expunged from the Mitchell report.

:lol:

NYYFans4Life123
07-31-08, 12:57 PM
Yankees pursuing Byrd?

The Yankees, frustrated by their attempts to land Mariners left-hander Jarrod Washburn, are "kicking around" the idea of adding Indians righty Paul Byrd, according to major-league sources.
As of 12:30 p.m. ET, the Yankees and Indians had not yet exchanged names, but a deal could come together quickly if the Yankees decided to pursue it.
The Indians likely would not seek much in return from Byrd, who also has drawn mild interest from the Rockies. For the Yankees, Byrd would be a potential upgrade over right-hander Darrell Rasner.

Ken Rosenthal-http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8397286/Latest-news-and-rumors-from-around-MLB

BRONXBOMBERS06
07-31-08, 12:58 PM
Not Paul Byrd

justtxyank
07-31-08, 01:00 PM
I'd take him if he was basically free. He's better than Ponson, though not much.

YESSIR!
07-31-08, 01:01 PM
please no. I can't stand the guy for reasons I can't quite explain.

CanoForPresident
07-31-08, 01:04 PM
Id rather stick with Rasner than trade for the dirty Byrd.

Tyler Durden
07-31-08, 01:06 PM
please no. I can't stand the guy for reasons I can't quite explain.

Ditto.

Gob Rules
07-31-08, 01:13 PM
Why are we looking at scrub pitchers?

NelsonMuntz
07-31-08, 01:27 PM
Ditto.
Third.

NYYFans4Life123
07-31-08, 01:38 PM
After all the talks the Red Sox have had with the Marlins and Pirates the last two days, could it be that Manny Ramirez winds up starting in left field for the Red Sox Friday night?

The latest news from ESPN.com's Peter Gammons: "A source close to the three-way negotiations involving Manny Ramirez says the deal is close to dead. Florida has reportedly asked Boston for a cash outlay beyond the $7 million to cover Ramirez's contract, in addition to two prospects. That essentially would add up to the Red Sox trading Ramirez, $9 million and two prospects for Jason Bay."

The Pirates could deal Bay somewhere else -- Tampa Bay has been mentioned and Jayson Stark of ESPN.com is now citing the Blue Jays -- or just hang on to him.

Keep in mind that in recent years, the Red Sox have never been shy about pulling away from blockbuster deals when the price simply became too much. Most dramatically, the Sox had a Ramirez for Alex Rodriguez mega-swap lined up in December, 2003, and pulled out of that when their proposed restructuring of A-Rod's contract was turned down by the Players Association. More recently, Theo Epstein didn't trade for Johan Santana this winter because the asking price of talented young players was simply too much.

NYYFans4Life123
07-31-08, 04:42 PM
Manny Ramirez has been traded to the Dodgers in a three-team blockbuster, pending the approval of the commissioner's office, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.
Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is headed to the Red Sox. The Pirates will receive Andy LaRoche and right-hander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Damien Moss and releiver Craig Hansen from the Red Sox.
The Red Sox will pay all of the approximately $7 million remaining on Ramirez's contract.

dogg
07-31-08, 05:56 PM
Manny Ramirez has been traded to the Dodgers in a three-team blockbuster, pending the approval of the commissioner's office, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.
Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is headed to the Red Sox. The Pirates will receive Andy LaRoche and right-hander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Damien Moss and releiver Craig Hansen from the Red Sox.
The Red Sox will pay all of the approximately $7 million remaining on Ramirez's contract.

wow...jason bay is no manny ramirez.

ajra21
07-31-08, 06:33 PM

why are the dodgers giving up laroche, he's good right?