PDA

View Full Version : The future of Jeter?

KeithF40
07-27-08, 06:25 AM
Signed through 2010, making 21 next year.

I, as probably everyone with a working brain, believes Jeter will be in pinstripes till he retires.

Many people, as I, believe that Jeter is going to have a very long mlb career.

He is 34 now and is showing no signs of regression in his hitting, this year is just a slump kind of season for him IMO, he should end the year near 300 I believe, plenty fine for a 34 yr old SS.

Jeter was always been all over the place SB wise, I think the team is more a factor in his SB than his ability.

His defense seems to be pretty in line with career, his RF and ZR are actually higher his year than his career average.

But sadly SS don't play at SS past the mid 30s mark, Ripken moved at 35, Yount moved at 29, Rizz retired at 37, you cant play SS really deep into your career. Jeter will be 35 at the end of his contract, probably about the time you look to move him from short.

Moving Jeter from SS, which will most likely have AROD move back to SS, would be a huge event, in a bad way I believe. I dont see anyone in the minors that will come up to play SS or any other really good SS out there that the Yankees can nab up. 3B is easier to find a good player at I believe.

I think a good spot for Jeter would be CF, I dont like his offense numbers to play 1B/DH or corner outfield at that. Pujols is a better hitter than AROD I believe, but its AROD playing 3B or SS that makes him the best player in the game, very much how Jeter is held in such high regard because of the positon he plays. Melky is clearly not the answer in CF and there are no good long term options for center in the FA market at the end of the year.

I think the Yankees might give Cabrera one more year while they end the contracts of Damon and Matsui and then figure out what to do with the position.

Jeter is going to get a lower contract than the one he has now, which is also not going to be a good thing publicity wise. I think the Yankees are really dreading his contract ending because they must now publicly admit that the most beloved Yankee since Donnie Baseball was and is over rated, hes my fav player so dont bash me on this, fav player of all time, Donnie being number 2.

The contract they gave him, like many contracts that were given right after the turn of the millenium, like Manny and Giambi, were totally inflated, maybe cause of the huge boom in the economy we saw around when these contracts were given out, idk about that but thats my speculation.

They also must admit that he should not be playing SS and they will have places to put him more than likely like SS, DH, or maybe even 1B if they dont get Tex and play Giambi or Nady there next year, Giambi is really only 17M next year or they can buy him out and resign him, I dont think alot of teams will want the headache of Giambi, steroid and injury wise, so the Yankees can get a nice deal for him, maybe somewhere in the 10M range.

This is not a good publicity move for the Yankees and I feel bad for Jeter to have to go through that, and the Jeter is not the best shortstop on his own team chants will be heard again in full force.

What does everyone think Jeter's plan is gonna look like long term, he's definitely gonna get resigned, break the Yankee hit record and get 3k and maybe even get in the hunt for 4k, although I think that would require an amazing ability for him to not regress and stay injury free.

MY PREDICITION: Jeter moves to CF after his contract is up and gets a 6 year 90M deal. He gets to 3500 and calls it a career at the age of 41 or so.

sugmasterflex
07-27-08, 06:48 AM
I think Jeter goes to LF and AJAX will play CF...

Jonny
07-27-08, 06:51 AM
LF seems right. Hopefully he'll do better offensively without the wear and tear of SS.

ppa79
07-27-08, 06:56 AM
Depends on how well he hits and plays SS. If he declines a lot in SS in the next 2 years, he really has no value to the team. He won't hit enough to play a corner outfield.

rajah
07-27-08, 07:03 AM
This could indeed end up being a problem for the Yankees. But it has absolutely no relevance to any choices they are now making so I am sure they are going to wait for developments in Jeter's defense and offense.

But one thing is clear: Jeter's replacement at SS is not going to be ARod. He is only a year younger and has no interest in going back. So forget that scenario.

themgmt
07-27-08, 08:13 AM
Even if it was a remote possibility, Cano has the arm and range to be a SS. Jeter can play 2B if he has trouble at SS when he gets older.

There are very few ageless wonders, Mariano and Jeter may happen to be 2 of them. With the way A-Rod is conditioned, he could be one too.

brosiusbuddy
07-27-08, 08:18 AM

I, as probably everyone with a working brain, believes Jeter will be in pinstripes till he retires.

He is 34 now and is showing no signs of regression in his hitting, this year is just a slump kind of season for him IMO, he should end the year near 300 I believe, plenty fine for a 34 yr old SS.

Jeter was always been all over the place SB wise, I think the team is more a factor in his SB than his ability.

His defense seems to be pretty in line with career, his RF and ZR are actually higher his year than his career average.

But sadly SS don't play at SS past the mid 30s mark, Ripken moved at 35, Yount moved at 29, Rizz retired at 37, you cant play SS really deep into your career. Jeter will be 35 at the end of his contract, probably about the time you look to move him from short.

Moving Jeter from SS, which will most likely have AROD move back to SS, would be a huge event, in a bad way I believe. I dont see anyone in the minors that will come up to play SS or any other really good SS out there that the Yankees can nab up. 3B is easier to find a good player at I believe.

I think a good spot for Jeter would be CF, I dont like his offense numbers to play 1B/DH or corner outfield at that. Pujols is a better hitter than AROD I believe, but its AROD playing 3B or SS that makes him the best player in the game, very much how Jeter is held in such high regard because of the positon he plays. Melky is clearly not the answer in CF and there are no good long term options for center in the FA market at the end of the year.

I think the Yankees might give Cabrera one more year while they end the contracts of Damon and Matsui and then figure out what to do with the position.

Jeter is going to get a lower contract than the one he has now, which is also not going to be a good thing publicity wise. I think the Yankees are really dreading his contract ending because they must now publicly admit that the most beloved Yankee since Donnie Baseball was and is over rated, hes my fav player so dont bash me on this, fav player of all time, Donnie being number 2.

The contract they gave him, like many contracts that were given right after the turn of the millenium, like Manny and Giambi, were totally inflated, maybe cause of the huge boom in the economy we saw around when these contracts were given out, idk about that but thats my speculation.

They also must admit that he should not be playing SS and they will have places to put him more than likely like SS, DH, or maybe even 1B if they dont get Tex and play Giambi or Nady there next year, Giambi is really only 17M next year or they can buy him out and resign him, I dont think alot of teams will want the headache of Giambi, steroid and injury wise, so the Yankees can get a nice deal for him, maybe somewhere in the 10M range.

This is not a good publicity move for the Yankees and I feel bad for Jeter to have to go through that, and the Jeter is not the best shortstop on his own team chants will be heard again in full force.

What does everyone think Jeter's plan is gonna look like long term, he's definitely gonna get resigned, break the Yankee hit record and get 3k and maybe even get in the hunt for 4k, although I think that would require an amazing ability for him to not regress and stay injury free.

MY PREDICITION: Jeter moves to CF after his contract is up and gets a 6 year 90M deal. He gets to 3500 and calls it a career at the age of 41 or so.

Jeter won't move to the outfield. He'll go play 1st base and Arod will stay at 3rd. Putting someone in the outfield at 35 years old isnt really a great idea. Thats a pretty huge change to have to learn at that age after 15 years as a SS.

1st base is an easy transition. Its the easiest position to field - all that matters is range to your right (Jeter's range to his left has always been people's concern) and you need to know how to be able to pick balls out of the dirt which he obviously knows how to do.

And if Jeter is leaving SS at 35 years old, Arod won't be taking it over at 33 or 34. That's illogical. Arod will stay at 3rd and hopefully we'll have a nice young SS prospect coming up. Or we'll sign someone with a glove and not worry about offense out of that position.

And by the way. Arod is simply better than Pujols regardless of position.

And giving a guy less money is not an admission that he is overrated. Jeter's on field performance may not merit the money he's making, but his off field representation of the team as well as the amount of money he generates makes his contract fair. Giving a 35 year old less than he was given in his early 20s is just obvious.

And I think any team that could have Giambi for the right price, would want him. His reputation as one of the nicest guys in the league and one of the best clubhouse guys has never been in question throughout the whole steroid debacle. He is a guy who can spell a 1Bman every once in a while or play DH and hit you 25+ homers and get on base close to 40 percent of the time.

If you think Jeter's plan is to get 4000 hits than why on earth do you think he'd go play CF and not 1B instead. The team can't force him to play a position he doesn't want and he's not going to go to another team so if he's going to leave SS he'd likely choose 1B where its easier to learn and the risk of injury is less likely.

ppa79
07-27-08, 08:52 AM
Jeter won't move to the outfield. He'll go play 1st base and Arod will stay at 3rd. Putting someone in the outfield at 35 years old isnt really a great idea. Thats a pretty huge change to have to learn at that age after 15 years as a SS.

1st base is an easy transition. Its the easiest position to field - all that matters is range to your right (Jeter's range to his left has always been people's concern) and you need to know how to be able to pick balls out of the dirt which he obviously knows how to do.

And if Jeter is leaving SS at 35 years old, Arod won't be taking it over at 33 or 34. That's illogical. Arod will stay at 3rd and hopefully we'll have a nice young SS prospect coming up. Or we'll sign someone with a glove and not worry about offense out of that position.

And giving a guy less money is not an admission that he is overrated. Jeter's on field performance may not merit the money he's making, but his off field representation of the team as well as the amount of money he generates makes his contract fair. Giving a 35 year old less than he was given in his early 20s is just obvious.

And I think any team that could have Giambi for the right price, would want him. His reputation as one of the nicest guys in the league and one of the best clubhouse guys has never been in question throughout the whole steroid debacle. He is a guy who can spell a 1Bman every once in a while or play DH and hit you 25+ homers and get on base close to 40 percent of the time.

If you think Jeter's plan is to get 4000 hits than why on earth do you think he'd go play CF and not 1B instead. The team can't force him to play a position he doesn't want and he's not going to go to another team so if he's going to leave SS he'd likely choose 1B where its easier to learn and the risk of injury is less likely.

Unless Jeter plays SS, he really has no value to the team. Who wants a 1st baseman that posts an OPS+ of 110? And if the Yanks get Tex in the offseason, 1st base is out of the question.

Abe Frohman
07-27-08, 10:13 AM
I think Jeter could def play LF. He really hurts the team at SS right now, not to

mention as the years go by. I really wanted us to go after Hanley but he got signed

up. who knows, maybe someone else will emerge ? we'll just have to play it day to

day.

webassign
07-27-08, 10:56 AM
I hope he likes DHing

rajah
07-27-08, 11:15 AM
I think Jeter could def play LF. He really hurts the team at SS right now, not to

mention as the years go by. I really wanted us to go after Hanley but he got signed

up. who knows, maybe someone else will emerge ? we'll just have to play it day to

day.

I know the metrics for his range are not good and I know his BA is down this year, but ...

"day to day"??? Are you kidding me? The Yankee front office is not looking for a replacement for Jeter now and will not be for next season. You are going to be very uncomfortable if you are holding your breath for a replacement. Cashman et al have lots of issues to address now and even more so in the off season. This is not one that they will give any serious thought to.

Barring a big injury or other precipitous decline, the serious thought about what and how the transition will be for the icon will not come until it is time to re-sign the man.

(And by the way, if his offensive numbers by then aren't sufficient for LF or 1B, they aren't for DH either.)

Jumpman_DJ
07-27-08, 11:19 AM
Jeter will be a yankee no matter what besides, he wont be at the 3000 hit mark when his contract ends. The team will figure out where he belongs on the field but Dh really isnt an option for the next three years, That postion is gonna be Posada's in two years since his catching ability is in major decline.
I believe the yanks will give him a four year deal in the $60 million range and as far as his position i think he does move out to Left field. I cant see him as the first baseman. I think everyone on this board who thinks we are going to sign Teixeira will be real upset when we dont get him. Here is my logic, Jorge will be back and wont catch for half the games, Giambi will be bought out for the $5 million then be offered a two year 24 Million deal, Damon and Matsui have one year left on their deals so where does Tex fit in the plans? He doesnt 1Lf, 1 Dh, 1 1b, 1 C ( half the time) No room for Tex. Jeter is not the answer at 1b either.

Abe Frohman
07-27-08, 11:21 AM

Better all around player, True ... and only cause hes a better fielder at a more difficult

position. Better arm and steals bases. But Pujols is a better and more opportune

hitter than A-Rod is.

Cheesyhoboe
07-27-08, 11:23 AM
This thread pops up every year...

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-27-08, 11:23 AM
Jeter will play SS until 2010, I really wonder what the Yankees are going to do after that.

stupidpunchline
07-27-08, 11:27 AM
Jeter to LF or RF raises a question of whether or not he can produce at the level of an elite corner-outfield hitter, because he will certainly command the salary of one.

Manny got 20/year
Ichiro 18
Soriano 17
Carlos Lee 16.7
Abreu 16
Magglio 15
Guerrero, Drew 14
Griffey, Damon, Matsui 13
Anderson, Fukudome 12
Dye 11

You gotta figure Jeter will get at least 15-16/yr, if not an extension of his current 19/yr. Could he produce like Magglio or Carlos Lee? Probably not.

surge511
07-27-08, 11:54 AM
I would count on Jeter being the SS for at least the next 2 to 3 years. He just turned 34, he will have just turned 36 when his contract is up in 2 more years.

After that, I see 1B as the most likely destination, but LF might be an option, too. I just don't know if he would want to leave the IF. And no, he will not produce like a typical 1B/LFer, but that doesn't mean he won't be productive. A guy at one of those positions with a .300-.320 avg, .380 OBP, with 180-200 hits, 100 runs, 75 RBI's, 15 steals and 10-12 HR's is certainly valuable, and I think Jeter will still be putting up numbers like that until around age 40. I don't think his productivity will be a major issue regardless of where he plays.

ppa79
07-27-08, 11:56 AM
I would count on Jeter being the SS for at least the next 2 to 3 years. He just turned 34, he will have just turned 36 when his contract is up in 2 more years.

After that, I see 1B as the most likely destination, but LF might be an option, too. I just don't know if he would want to leave the IF. And no, he will not produce like a typical 1B/LFer, but that doesn't mean he won't be productive. A guy at one of those positions with a .300-.320 avg, .380 OBP, with 180-200 hits, 100 runs, 75 RBI's, 15 steals and 10-12 HR's is certainly valuable, and I think Jeter will still be putting up numbers like that until around age 40. I don't think his productivity will be a major issue regardless of where he plays.

Its valuable if you are a SS, C, CF, or a 2B. Not a 1st baseman.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-27-08, 11:57 AM
The question is how much is that worth? Chances are the Yankees are going to grossly overpay because of who he was.

walesave
07-27-08, 12:04 PM
There is no guarantee that Jeter will want to play after 2010. He may decide to move on to the next phase of his life and settle down to start a family. As a Yankee fan that is one reason to get excited about the FO making deals to win now. We've already lost Bernie and in a not too distant future we will no longer have Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Mo (this mid-90's farm talent made the Yanks strong up the middle for over a decade). The young pitching, with Joba and Wang, looks promising. A-Rod and Cano achor two positions beyond 2010. The rest is up for grabs.

brosiusbuddy
07-27-08, 12:37 PM

You're rationale is becoming outdated. Young and upcoming players are providing power from every position. If we are able to obtain or develop a SS who can provide power like a Ramirez or healthy Tulowitzki or like Uggla or Utley (obviously thats a lot to ask for but you get the point), it won't matter if our 1Bman is a singles hitter.

brosiusbuddy
07-27-08, 12:38 PM
There is no guarantee that Jeter will want to play after 2010. He may decide to move on to the next phase of his life and settle down to start a family. As a Yankee fan that is one reason to get excited about the FO making deals to win now. We've already lost Bernie and in a not too distant future we will no longer have Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Mo (this mid-90's farm talent made the Yanks strong up the middle for over a decade). The young pitching, with Joba and Wang, looks promising. A-Rod and Cano achor two positions beyond 2010. The rest is up for grabs.

Jeter would probably want to play until he is physically unable. He loves to compete.

MaximMan121
07-27-08, 12:48 PM

...I'd add LF to that list. the OBP by itself plays there, even if he's not hitting as many over the fence as we'd like. It does depend on how he does defensively out there as well, and I believe he'll be pretty good--he's always been incredible on popups.

I actually think the person who said we should swap Cano and Jeter may have had it right. Could Cano field the SS position? We know he's got the arm for it.

MaximMan121
07-27-08, 12:51 PM
You're rationale is becoming outdated. Young and upcoming players are providing power from every position. If we are able to obtain or develop a SS who can provide power like a Ramirez or healthy Tulowitzki or like Uggla or Utley (obviously thats a lot to ask for but you get the point), it won't matter if our 1Bman is a singles hitter.

I mean, that's a bit tough to swallow. No matter who we have in the other spots, we'd still want the best 1B hitter possible. Up until the point where winning a championship is inevitable (read: never) you always look to upgrade where you can. Like I said above, in LF the OBP may play if it spikes back up after this crappy first half, but at 1B, we should never settle for a singles hitter. (unless he's obp'ing 450 or so)

dont_ya_know24
07-27-08, 01:03 PM
seriously, who cares if he doesn't "produce" like a corner outfielder. Jackson in center has the potential to "make up" for that.

and let's say we sign a good offensive 3rd baseman, and move alex to short, that will also make up for it.

enough with this nonsense.

rajah
07-27-08, 01:10 PM
The biggest "nonsense" in this thread is the suggestion that ARod will be moving back to SS in 2010.

Assuming no major injury or precipitous decline or some other catastrophe in the USA or MLB, Jeter will be re-signed at a level that pays him in part for his iconic status. It is about selling tickets, not simply about winning. Where he plays is another question.

primetime714
07-27-08, 01:11 PM
IMO LF makes the most sense. Jeter knows how to play fly balls and should be able to make the transition relatively easily.

Still a move won't happen for a couple years. So long as Jeter can give us acceptable defense we'll stick with him at SS.

I suppose 1B is also an option, but not a great one. If we sign Teixeira this offseason you can definitely remove that from consideration.

Maybe 2B if we decided to trade Cano, but I don't think any of us want that.

Matsui55
07-27-08, 03:01 PM
If I were to hazard a guess, I think it depends completely on ARod.

What I mean by that is that if ARod can finally deliver in the post-season, and bring home a WS title by carrying the team on his back before the end of the 2010 season, the team will be ARod's, not Jeter's.

At that point, the Yanks may be willing to walk away from Jeter as a FA. Sure, he offers a lot of intangibles, but at 35, his career will clearly be on the downside. As many here have rightly assumed, he will no longer even be a passable SS by that point, and there is a very good question of whether he can transition to the OF.

Sure, he could DH- but why put a non-power, and by that point, a non-SB threat bat in that role?

In other words, the Yanks will probably be looking for some PR cover somewhere in the next 2 and one half years- be it ARod stepping up, or the youth movement completely taking over the team. I think the Yanks do not want to take the PR hit from letting Jeter go, but by 2011, the question will need to be asked whether it makes sense to retain a player for past performance, or whether it makes more sense to start anew.

DJ27
07-27-08, 03:03 PM
Future of Jeter = Hall of Fame!!!

walesave
07-27-08, 03:14 PM
Jeter would probably want to play until he is physically unable. He loves to compete.

I'm not so sure about that first sentence though there is no arguing the second.

DisabledMess
07-27-08, 06:03 PM
4,000 hits is a long way to go. He has 2467 now and he's 34 and showing some decline. I don't see Jeter playing until he is 40. He also doesn't take steroids so you can forget about a rejuvenation.

surge511
07-27-08, 06:13 PM
If I were to hazard a guess, I think it depends completely on ARod.

What I mean by that is that if ARod can finally deliver in the post-season, and bring home a WS title by carrying the team on his back before the end of the 2010 season, the team will be ARod's, not Jeter's.

At that point, the Yanks may be willing to walk away from Jeter as a FA. Sure, he offers a lot of intangibles, but at 35, his career will clearly be on the downside. As many here have rightly assumed, he will no longer even be a passable SS by that point, and there is a very good question of whether he can transition to the OF.

Sure, he could DH- but why put a non-power, and by that point, a non-SB threat bat in that role?

In other words, the Yanks will probably be looking for some PR cover somewhere in the next 2 and one half years- be it ARod stepping up, or the youth movement completely taking over the team. I think the Yanks do not want to take the PR hit from letting Jeter go, but by 2011, the question will need to be asked whether it makes sense to retain a player for past performance, or whether it makes more sense to start anew.

Barring something really crazy happening between now and then, I would say there is absolutely no chance that Jeter is not resigned. He is too important to the team in so many ways, both on and off the field. And as far as the World Series, I think Jeter has in the past, and will be, as important as anyone on the field during the playoffs if/when the Yanks win another one.

dan66
07-27-08, 07:23 PM
I would trade Jeter if I could after the 09 season! I don't want him after this current deal ends and the best way to get rid of him is by trade. I see the Jeter situation becoming a much worse the what is going on with Brett Favre. I would hate to see the Yankee offer him arbitration and have him decline it in and ugly manor.

Tyler Durden
07-27-08, 07:36 PM
I sure hope he ends his career in pinstripes, but in a 'Paul O'Neil' sort of way rather than a 'Bernie Williams' sort of way.

KeithF40
07-27-08, 09:05 PM
Pujols is a much better hitter than AROD. All his numbers are better or close to ARODs, esp strikeouts.

NO WAY Jeter leaves this team and no way he doesnt play past his current contract.

AROD is a freak of nature, after Jeters contract is up AROD will still be the best SS in the game, probably one of the best fielding the position as well. I think you sign a SS or 3B and then have AROD take the other position.

Jeter is not good enough to make 15M to play RF, LF, 1B, or DH. You think if they get rid of Jeter they are gonna sell less seats, AROD is the real draw now, plus Yankee stadium is a tough left.

I think Cano's arm makes him a suitable SS but it is a different position, and the toughest on the field so idk if he'll be able to make the transition.

Just because they will be solid at other positions doesnt mean you ignore the rest of the supply of the market. Jeters numbers are only good enough for the 4 middle positions plus third and unfortunately he only can play 3 of them and 2 of them look locked up and we have a great prospect for the last.

I just dont really see a great resolution for this problem. Maybe Jeter can pitch.

Matsui55
07-27-08, 09:43 PM
Barring something really crazy happening between now and then, I would say there is absolutely no chance that Jeter is not resigned. He is too important to the team in so many ways, both on and off the field. And as far as the World Series, I think Jeter has in the past, and will be, as important as anyone on the field during the playoffs if/when the Yanks win another one.

This is what I don't get- why do we overrate Jeter's intangibles?

He carries a good BA and generally gets on base a good bit. However, the power is going down, and when he's 35 (as he will be at the end of this contract), his speed will also be on the decline, if not gone. As he ages further, that bat speed will slow, and then there isn't all that much left.

Defensively, well, let's not go there.

Meaning- he has no position with that bat once he moves off SS- at that point, he becomes an offensive minus at whatever position he plays.

Remember folks, Cashman is still running the team. Yes, Hank will try and bully the way to re-sign Jeter. However, by that point, Cashman should be able to use the Posada contract against Hank- pointing out the problems the Yanks have encountered when they pay aging stars for past performance and intangibles- you end up with a team of overpaid DH's.

Realistically, the Yanks need to begin a succession plan at SS- and no, ARod is NOT a SS anymore- he's gotten too big, and by that point, would be in his mid-30's himself. ARod himself will be starting to think about a move across the diamond to 1B in another 4 years or so.

The point is, the Yanks cannot continue to bring back aging players because they have done big things for the team in the past. Posada is going to be a major albatross over the next 3 years with that deal. Damon and Matsui's contracts are already a year too long- and Giambi's was several years too long.

Besides, by the end of the 2010 season, the Yanks will be deep into their transition. ARod, Cano and Posada are likely to be the only Yankee regulars still with the offense by that point- and Posada only because his contract runs through 2011.

brosiusbuddy
07-27-08, 09:52 PM
I mean, that's a bit tough to swallow. No matter who we have in the other spots, we'd still want the best 1B hitter possible. Up until the point where winning a championship is inevitable (read: never) you always look to upgrade where you can. Like I said above, in LF the OBP may play if it spikes back up after this crappy first half, but at 1B, we should never settle for a singles hitter. (unless he's obp'ing 450 or so)

I'm just thinking realistically. If Jeter has to find a new position, he's likely going to get to choose one. He is a guy this team caters to. I think he'd be more likely to keep himself on the infield in a spot thats an easier transition. While it might not be the best move strategy wise, it may be what Jeter wants. (See Arod moving to third so Jeter can stay at SS)

junkman73
07-27-08, 10:05 PM
Pujols is a much better hitter than AROD. All his numbers are better or close to ARODs, esp strikeouts.

Put AROD in the watered down NL and his numbers would be right with Albert's, if not, ahead.

dan66
07-27-08, 10:30 PM
Bottom line like it or not Jeter is done after this contract!!!!!!! They are not bringing back a turning 37 year old in 2011 for the money he will want with no position. The best way to handle this is to trade him after next season.

Jeter has had a great run but all good things end so enjoy him while you can.

themgmt
07-27-08, 10:34 PM
KeithF40, Matsui55 and dan66, question.. are any of you over 21?

dan66
07-27-08, 10:53 PM
KeithF40, Matsui55 and dan66, question.. are any of you over 21?

Yes why?

If you think Jeter is worth keeping for the money he will want I have some swamp land for sale!

JeterForPresident
07-27-08, 10:57 PM
Jeter will be a Yankee as long as he wants to be. He will retire a Yankee and he isn't being traded anywhere, so enjoy him for as long as he wants to be with the team.

I do hope at some point if he can no longer play SS that he will accept moving to a different position, but there are several years until that becomes an issue, especially since we have no options in the minors to replace him with anyway.

lighthazard
07-27-08, 11:00 PM
Count me in with those who don't want another Bernie Williams situation. Hopefully Jeter is smarter...

themgmt
07-27-08, 11:04 PM
Yes why?

If you think Jeter is worth keeping for the money he will want I have some swamp land for sale!

If you think Jeter won't be a Yankee after 2010, I've got a bridge I want to sell you...

dan66
07-27-08, 11:04 PM
Jeter will be a Yankee as long as he wants to be. He will retire a Yankee and he isn't being traded anywhere, so enjoy him for as long as he wants to be with the team.

I do hope at some point if he can no longer play SS that he will accept moving to a different position, but there are several years until that becomes an issue, especially since we have no options in the minors to replace him with anyway.

Start thinking with your brain instead of your heart and you and everyone else who loves Jeter will come to the same conclusion that if he wants to continue playing after this contract it will be with another team! If he wants the all time hit record from Pete Rose he will be like him and do it with another team.

The Manny situation this fall will tell how little value Jeter will have going forward. Manny will not get the money he wants or the years he wants.

sujaan
07-27-08, 11:07 PM
Carmen Angelini = 2011 SS?

I haven't really been following him - how's he doing?

dan66
07-27-08, 11:07 PM
If you think Jeter won't be a Yankee after 2010, I've got a bridge I want to sell you...

Don't believe me and wait and see that the great Jeter will be a goner after 2010 at the latest! There is some much talented youth in the Yankee system that they will have no position for him! Is this so hard for all of you to see? The Posada fiasco killed any chance!

rajah
07-27-08, 11:09 PM
Yes why?

You have no idea what Jeter will want and how he will be playing. Jeter understands his endorsement status in NY.

He asked you about your age because older fans generally have a better appreciation of baseball being a marketing business. Of course the Yankees will overpay for Jeter, just as they over paid for Po and Arod and Mo as well this off season. They did it because they anticipated these guys helping to sell tickets. Do you really think that Arod could possibly be playing at a level worth what he will be making at the end of his new contract?

The object of a baseball club, like that of any business, is to make money. Winning is a means to that end, not the end.

Where exactly is the swamp land, by the way? And what are you asking for it? Some swamp land has a lot of value.

JeterForPresident
07-27-08, 11:09 PM
Start thinking with your brain instead of your heart and you and everyone else who loves Jeter will come to the same conclusion that if he wants to continue playing after this contract it will be with another team! If he wants the all time hit record from Pete Rose he will be like him and do it with another team.

The Manny situation this fall will tell how little value Jeter will have going forward. Manny will not get the money he wants or the years he wants.

This is real life, not MLB 2K8 or The Show. The Yankees can't simply cut Jeter lose, or pack him on an ice float and send him down the river. Sure I want Jeter on the team and that is why my heart hopes we will be. Then my brain says this is Derek Jeter, captain and one of the most beloved Yankees of all time, a guy who is a sure HOFer not to mention the likely holder of many Yankee team records, he is going to stay with the team.

To even compare a selfish jackass who gives up on his team year after year with a guy who is all about winning and has the ultimate team-first attitude is ridiculous. It also assumes Jeter is going to demand an unfairly outrageous contract when he doesn't deserve one ala Manny.

I want to know how the Yankees are going to simply send Jeter packing after his current contract ends, not only would it be a PR nightmare but you can't just replace a player like Jeter, and the same cannot be said for a guy like Manny.

themgmt
07-27-08, 11:12 PM
Is this so hard for you to see Jeter could hit .275, 10HRs, 60 RBI and still be better than 2/3rds of the short stops in baseball?

A 50 year old Jeter would probably still be league average. Just like a 78 year old Mariano would be a top 10 closer. He'll invent the KnuckleCutter.

dan66
07-27-08, 11:15 PM
Get over yourself! This is BS and you know it! Jeter has very little value going forward and everyone knows it! This is not the year 2000 anymore! All players age even great ones and Jeters not any different. I don't a crap if he hold records all I care about is his play on the field and that's it! He will not have a role on this team going forward and quite possibly by the 2010 neither will Posada who might be the most expensive and useless back up catcher in baseball staring the Yankees in the face! They will not make a mistake with Jeter just to assauge the fans when this is a business of winning games!

This is real life, not MLB 2K8 or The Show. The Yankees can't simply cut Jeter lose, or pack him on an ice float and send him down the river. Sure I want Jeter on the team and that is why my heart hopes we will be. Then my brain says this is Derek Jeter, captain and one of the most beloved Yankees of all time, a guy who is a sure HOFer not to mention the likely holder of many Yankee team records, he is going to stay with the team.

To even compare a selfish jackass who gives up on his team year after year with a guy who is all about winning and has the ultimate team-first attitude is ridiculous. It also assumes Jeter is going to demand an unfairly outrageous contract when he doesn't deserve one ala Manny.

I want to know how the Yankees are going to simply send Jeter packing after his current contract ends, not only would it be a PR nightmare but you can't just replace a player like Jeter, and the same cannot be said for a guy like Manny.

rajah
07-27-08, 11:16 PM
Don't believe me and wait and see that the great Jeter will be a goner after 2010 at the latest! There is some much talented youth in the Yankee system that they will have no position for him! Is this so hard for all of you to see? The Posada fiasco killed any chance!

You seem not to like the "great Jeter", as you call him. Why is that? Too many tee shirts on the kids at the Stadium? Too many endoresement deals? Too good looking?

And please enlighten us on all this "talented youth" that will be arriving in the Bronx by the end of the 2010 season. You can enlighten all the minor league scouts at the same time because they seem to think that Austin Jackson is the only position player who is that close.

JeterForPresident
07-27-08, 11:21 PM
Get over yourself! The is BS and you know it! Jeter have very little value going forward and everyone know it! This is not the year 2000! All players age even great ones and Jeter not any different. I don't a crap if he hold records all I care about is his play on the field and that it! He will not have a role on this team going forward and quite possibly by the 2010 neither will Posada who might be the most expensive and useless defensive catcher in baseball staring the Yankees in the face! The will not make a mistake with Jeter just to assauge the fan when this is a business of winning games!

Well when Jeter stops being a winner you let me know, because that hasn't happened yet first of all.

Secondly, you are assuming Jeter is useless by 2010 which I don't see happening. I will at least give the guy the benefit on one poor season before declaring him washed up, I think he has earned that, but you seem to have no loyalty. I root for the Yankees and the jersey and want them to win as many WS as possible, but I also root for the guys in those jerseys and I was for signing Posada even though it was a deal that favored him and not the team, and the same for Mariano, and it will be the same for Jeter.

There was nobody around to replace Posada, same for Mo and the same for Jeter. You think what you like but guys like Mo and Jeter are one of a kind, they don't just come along and they aren't sitting in the Yankees farm system ready to take over when the current guys are done.

Also when you say you don't give a crap about Yankees records, does that mean you would toss aside guys like Berra, Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig, etc. if they weren't as good as they were in their primes in the last few years of their careers?

sujaan
07-27-08, 11:23 PM
Get over yourself! This is BS and you know it! Jeter has very little value going forward and everyone knows it! This is not the year 2000 anymore! All players age even great ones and Jeters not any different. I don't a crap if he hold records all I care about is his play on the field and that's it! He will not have a role on this team going forward and quite possibly by the 2010 neither will Posada who might be the most expensive and useless back up catcher in baseball staring the Yankees in the face! They will not make a mistake with Jeter just to assauge the fans when this is a business of winning games!

Quit yelling! It really ruins your chances of people respecting your opinions!

dan66
07-27-08, 11:35 PM
Are you trying to be plain dumb? What makes anyone believe that Jeter can continue to be a great player going forward when he will be older? I don't get it! If the Yankees sign him after 2010 for how long will it be? 1 year 2 years what? Where is he going to play? First base when almost everyone wants the Yankees to sign Teixeira after this season? Will you keep him at SS when he is not that good now even though he is better then last season defensively? Do you play him in at a corner outfield position when he has no power what so ever? Will you put him in center field when Austin Jackson will be there? So all you Jeter on the Yankees forever fans tell me/us where you will play a no power turning 37 year old in 2011?????????????

The Yankees are in the business of winning games and Jeter while a great player is not part of there future. Many great players who want to continue there careers do so with other teams.

Just look at the Favre situation in football to see what could happen if he believes he's entitled to continue playing for the Yankees as there SS. Don't any of you tell me Jeter doesn't have and ego as all you have to do is listen to him talk about playing SS to know that he does not want to play any other position.

Frankly the best solution is for him and the Yankees is to retire after this contract!

You seem not to like the "great Jeter", as you call him. Why is that? Too many tee shirts on the kids at the Stadium? Too many endoresement deals? Too good looking?

And please enlighten us on all this "talented youth" that will be arriving in the Bronx by the end of the 2010 season. You can enlighten all the minor league scouts at the same time because they seem to think that Austin Jackson is the only position player who is that close.

ksison
07-27-08, 11:41 PM
I predict Jeter will play shortstop until he retires

dan66
07-27-08, 11:43 PM
This is more silliness and yes I could care less about records. I care about my team winning and not the past! Does this mean I will toss Jeter away no it means that he will always be a Yankee but no longer a Yankee player! I will always appreciate what he has done and remember him fondly but all great players careers come to an end. Jeter does not have the home run power to stick around as a dh so his value in severely limited going forward.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also when you say you don't give a crap about Yankees records, does that mean you would toss aside guys like Berra, Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig, etc. if they weren't as good as they were in their primes in the last few years of their careers?[/quote]

JeterForPresident
07-27-08, 11:47 PM
This is more silliness and yes I could care less about records. I care about my team winning and not the past! Does this mean I will toss Jeter away no it means that he will always be a Yankee but no longer a Yankee player! I will always appreciate what he has done and remember him fondly but all great players careers come to an end. Jeter does not have the home run power to stick around as a dh so his value in severely limited going forward.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also when you say you don't give a crap about Yankees records, does that mean you would toss aside guys like Berra, Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig, etc. if they weren't as good as they were in their primes in the last few years of their careers?[/quote]

You really ought to not start each post by bashing the poster you are responding too, it might make your points look better. Instead you defeat yourself by being rude and condescending right from the get go.

I will leave it at this for tonight. You have Jeter retiring as soon as his contract ends even while he is playing at a decent level now. Certainly he isn't having his best year ever, but he isn't awful either. Not to mention his importance on and off the field as a leader and captain. You should really give him at least one full season before declaring him washed up and ready to hit the links.

Also I would like to know what great players are in the minors who are ready to take over for Jeter come 2010. They would have to be future All-Stars to justify telling the Yankee captain to take a hike.

TheYankee
07-28-08, 12:01 AM
Holy... my brain is spilling out through my ears after reading this thread.

There are some real gems in here, but this is one of my favorite. "Just look at the Favre situation in football to see what could happen if he believes he's entitled to continue playing for the Yankees as there [sic] SS. Don't any of you tell me Jeter doesn't have and [sic] ego as all you have to do is listen to him talk about playing SS to know that he does not want to play any other position."

Of course he wants to play shortstop. That's what guys who've played shortstop since 1996 usually want to play. That doesn't mean the team won't tell him to move in a few years. Goodness.

dan66
07-28-08, 12:16 AM
Holy... my brain is spilling out through my ears after reading this thread.

There are some real gems in here, but this is one of my favorite. "Just look at the Favre situation in football to see what could happen if he believes he's entitled to continue playing for the Yankees as there [sic] SS. Don't any of you tell me Jeter doesn't have and [sic] ego as all you have to do is listen to him talk about playing SS to know that he does not want to play any other position."

Of course he wants to play shortstop. That's what guys who've played shortstop since 1996 usually want to play. That doesn't mean the team won't tell him to move in a few years. Goodness.

Move to where? Another team? or the couch as it will not be on the Yankees in 2011 lol!

TheYankee
07-28-08, 12:28 AM
Move to where? Another team? or the couch as it will not be on the Yankees in 2011 lol!http://www.dianahsieh.com/blog/uploaded_images/millionaire_idiot_fail-713308.jpg

27IsNext
07-28-08, 01:15 AM
http://www.dianahsieh.com/blog/uploaded_images/millionaire_idiot_fail-713308.jpg

Wow, is that real or Photoshopped?

KeithF40
07-28-08, 01:57 AM
I REALLY hope photoshopped.

Anyway I am 24, and although I admit I do not have a huge appreciation for the marketing of baseball, I just want my team to win, I think I understand it in the Jeter situation.

Although I dont think Jeter is quite the marketing tool that people think, winning and AROD are the two most important things, he is very beloved in NY and I think George, and prob Hank too, understand this and love him as well.

The aura of Jeter is what will keep him around past 2010 IMO.

I think the Yankees would make more money if they limited their spending, all they have to be is good to sell a ton of tickets, the fans will always be there if they can at least compete for the division every year. I think this shows that George wants to win more than make money, Hank hasn't really made his yet so he might differ, but he still wants to win.

Im my MLB 2K6 franchise I gave Jeter whatever he wanted even though he was totally bombing, its Jeter man!

When Jeters contract is up this is probably where he will be on the Yankee list

Games 2nd(1st with new contract)
ABs 1st
PA(most likely 1st barring no inj)
runs third of fourth, 1st with new contract most likely
hits first
total bases prob fourth, could be first with a long enough contract
doubles 2nd, 1st if he really turns it on
hrs probably eight, could get to sixth but not much farther than that in career
walks bottom part of top 10
strikeouts firstor second HAHA
sbs 1st or 2nd, who knows with this guy
singles ALREADY first

With all these milestones I think they will keep him around. The hype around Jeter is good for this organization and baseball in general.

Nome
07-28-08, 06:26 AM

I don't understand how you can say to move Jeter from SS because most SS's (debatable) don't play SS after the mid 30's, and in the next breath say to move Jeter to another position and then move ARod to SS. You do know ARod is a year older than Jeter, don't you? If Jeter gets to old for SS, won't ARod also by that logic?

Andy

yanksphan
07-28-08, 06:29 AM
Jeter threads always seem to have the most riveting and objective discussion.

ppa79
07-28-08, 08:35 AM

If your first baseman is a singles hitter, wouldn't you want to try to upgrade it? Try to get the best player available.

Derek2HOF
07-28-08, 09:40 AM

I don't have a link, but I am positive I heard or read somewhere that Jeter wanted to play until 41 or 42. You are going to have to drag him off the field to get him to stop playing. Also, he doesn't have to produce like an elite LF or whatever position you have him at because the Yanks always have power at other positions.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-28-08, 10:06 AM
I don't understand how you can say to move Jeter from SS because most SS's (debatable) don't play SS after the mid 30's, and in the next breath say to move Jeter to another position and then move ARod to SS. You do know ARod is a year older than Jeter, don't you? If Jeter gets to old for SS, won't ARod also by that logic?

Andy

A-Rod is actually younger, but the point is still valid

McMoose
07-28-08, 10:25 AM
First of all, let me say I think the Yankees should re-sign Jeter after his current deal is up. The guy is an icon, a great ball-player, a competitor, and the face of the team for the last decade-plus.

However, I am beginning to resign myself to the distinct possibility that the Yanks let him walk (I don't think a trade is an option). The way they cut Bernie loose after himself being a Yankee icon was an eye-opener. Like I said, I hope Jeter has many more happy years in pinstripes but I won't be surprised if after his contract he's gone.

webassign
07-28-08, 11:49 AM
The Yankees will be the first team to pay a mascot 20 million dollars.

brosiusbuddy
07-28-08, 11:52 AM
If your first baseman is a singles hitter, wouldn't you want to try to upgrade it? Try to get the best player available.

Yes. But if you have a player like Jeter who has to find a new position and its either going to be 1B or LF, or DH which I doubt he'd ever agree to, and all of these positions are reserved for guys with at least some power, wouldn't you rather put Jeter at the spot where the defensive transition is easiest and the player is most content to be at?

ppa79
07-28-08, 03:44 PM
Yes. But if you have a player like Jeter who has to find a new position and its either going to be 1B or LF, or DH which I doubt he'd ever agree to, and all of these positions are reserved for guys with at least some power, wouldn't you rather put Jeter at the spot where the defensive transition is easiest and the player is most content to be at?

I don't want to hurt the team for the sake of keeping Jeter happy. If Jeter wants to continue to be on the team, then let him continue his production offensively and defensively as his spot. If Jeter keeps hitting and plays an slightly below average to average defense SS, then they will keep him.

brosiusbuddy
07-28-08, 03:53 PM
I don't want to hurt the team for the sake of keeping Jeter happy. If Jeter wants to continue to be on the team, then let him continue his production offensively and defensively as his spot. If Jeter keeps hitting and plays an slightly below average to average defense SS, then they will keep him.

They will keep him at SS? Or keep him on the team? He will stay on this team no matter what. You're nuts if you think otherwise.

Blazer
07-28-08, 04:02 PM
I see Jeter as player/manager when he's around 38. At that time ARod and him will split duty between 1B & DH. Until then I see him as SS through next year or 2010 then a DH or LF.

Bub
07-28-08, 04:27 PM
Are you trying to be plain dumb? Please argue your point without the condescending remarks, and you've posted a few in this thread.

ppa79
07-28-08, 04:31 PM
They will keep him at SS? Or keep him on the team? He will stay on this team no matter what. You're nuts if you think otherwise.

Did Bernie stay on the team? Nope. Cashman will make the hard decision if he needs to. He has shown he will put the team first over any player. His job is to put the best team out there, depending on how Jeter finishes in contract, it might be with him or without him.

yankeeman61
07-28-08, 04:34 PM
The Yankees will be the first team to pay a mascot 20 million dollars.

So, what are you really trying to say? That Jeter would be overrated in that role, too?

walesave
07-28-08, 05:19 PM
I don't have a link, but I am positive I heard or read somewhere that Jeter wanted to play until 41 or 42. You are going to have to drag him off the field to get him to stop playing. Also, he doesn't have to produce like an elite LF or whatever position you have him at because the Yanks always have power at other positions.

I hadn't read that. I'd be interested in a reference. I do think that Jeter will have more influence than other Yankees (e.g. Bernie) in determining how long he will play but he won't have a blank check. If his skills deteriorate significantly, not only won't the Yankees sign him beyond 2010 but Jeter's pride would likely prevent him from prolonging the obvious. No one knows where his skill level will be in two years so all is conjecture until we reach that point.

Masta Z
07-28-08, 05:20 PM
jeter is a yankee for life.

walesave
07-28-08, 05:22 PM
jeter is a yankee for life.

So was Bobby Murcer, may he rest in peace.

rajah
07-28-08, 08:25 PM
Did Bernie stay on the team? Nope. Cashman will make the hard decision if he needs to. He has shown he will put the team first over any player. His job is to put the best team out there, depending on how Jeter finishes in contract, it might be with him or without him.

I doubt that Cashman had the authority to say goodby to Bernie without the okay of ownership. I can tell you that if I owned the Yankees, no GM or other employee of mine would trade or release Jeter without my passing on it -- not because of my sentiment for Jeter, but because I would want to make the business decision on when his poor play made the decision necessary.

We all know that at some point every ball player can no longer do the job and must give it up. Some of them, actually many of them, resist realizing when it is their time. Hopefully, that will not be the case with Jeter. I think most of us Yankee fans, including you but apparently not one poster, hope that he will play at an acceptable level until he is ready to retire and there won't be an issue, as there was with Bernie after he could no longer throw. We will have to wait and see, but my money is on him playing at a level that gets him a new contract.

I

ppa79
07-29-08, 08:45 AM
We all know that at some point every ball player can no longer do the job and must give it up. Some of them, actually many of them, resist realizing when it is their time. Hopefully, that will not be the case with Jeter. I think most of us Yankee fans, including you but apparently not one poster, hope that he will play at an acceptable level until he is ready to retire and there won't be an issue, as there was with Bernie after he could no longer throw. We will have to wait and see, but my money is on him playing at a level that gets him a new contract.

Like I said before, if Jeter plays at an acceptable level at SS, he will be the Yankee shortstop, but he can't give SS level production at a historically offensive position like 1st base, corner outfield, or DH.

themgmt
07-29-08, 09:23 AM
Ichiro and Jeter will play until they are 40+, both passing Pete Rose. These two can hit .300 into their 80's

Bring this up again in 7 years

teknetic
07-29-08, 09:25 AM
I had to chuckle at the notion of the Yanks kicking Jeter to the curb after ARod leads them to the promise land and claiming it as his "team." Like, what planet are we on, here?

Move to where? Another team? or the couch as it will not be on the Yankees in 2011 lol!

The only thing "lol!" worthy here is your obsession with exclamation points and question marks.

THEBOSS84
07-29-08, 09:28 AM
http://www.dianahsieh.com/blog/uploaded_images/millionaire_idiot_fail-713308.jpg

An Elephant. Larger than the moon.

webassign
07-29-08, 09:48 AM
Ichiro and Jeter will play until they are 40+, both passing Pete Rose. These two can hit .300 into their 80's

Bring this up again in 7 years
Jeter isn't a freakishly atheltic and in-shape monster like Ichiro.

yankeeman61
07-29-08, 10:05 AM

Since you think so highly of Jeter, maybe as a nice gesture you could send him a motorized wheelchair complete with Yankee pennants and pom-poms.:P

themgmt
07-29-08, 10:11 AM

Like that freakishly athletic and in shape monster Tony Gwynn?

Dannman103
07-29-08, 10:12 AM
Considering his Zone Rating, Range Factor and Fielding Percentage are all above his career averages, I don't see any urgency to move him to a different position. He's more or less middle of the pack among MLB shortstops, and better than a lot of guys younger than him. If he was in decline, that would be one thing. But the fact that he's having a better season this year than in the majority of his career does not suggest to me that he's declining due to age just yet.

JL25and3
07-29-08, 10:21 AM
An Elephant. Larger than the moon.It's a really, really, really big elephant.

ppa79
07-29-08, 10:21 AM
Like that freakishly athletic and in shape monster Tony Gwynn?

You can't compare Gwynn to Jeter. Gwynn was a much better hitter. Probably the best pure hitter of his time.

rajah
07-29-08, 10:22 AM
Like I said before, if Jeter plays at an acceptable level at SS, he will be the Yankee shortstop, but he can't give SS level production at a historically offensive position like 1st base, corner outfield, or DH.

We don't disagree on this; the standards for acceptable projected offense differ depending on the position.

I just wanted to state that the determination of what is "acceptable" ultimately would be made by ownership if the GM and Jeter are not in agreement. I think that we also agree, though one poster in this thread may not, that the decision on this will not be made before the end of his current contract.

themgmt
07-29-08, 10:34 AM
You can't compare Gwynn to Jeter. Gwynn was a much better hitter. Probably the best pure hitter of his time.

I never said Jeter or Ichiro were Gwynn, the poster referenced that Jeter wasn't athletic or in shape (which is absurd) and I pointed to Tony Gwynn being pot bellied and slow the last half of his career- playing into his 40's. A-Rod is big and bulky but I think he will hold up over the long haul as well.

Gusto
07-29-08, 10:36 AM
It's a really, really, really big elephant.

It doesn't say the Earth's moon. There could be a moon out there somewhere that's smaller than an elephant.

webassign
07-29-08, 10:38 AM
Since you think so highly of Jeter, maybe as a nice gesture you could send him a motorized wheelchair complete with Yankee pennants and pom-poms.:P
He's got enough money to buy that himself.

yankeeman61
07-29-08, 10:44 AM
He's got enough money to buy that himself.

Hence the word "gesture", but apparently he is not even worthy of that.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 10:51 AM

I dont know a year before the Red Sox traded Nomar, did you think they would ever trade him?

Knowing Cashman if a move needs to be done, it will be done. The good thing is Torre is no longer the manager and Giradi isnt going to play anybody out of loyalty if this becomes a problem down the road. The Bernie situation was magnified because of the way Torre endlessy trotted him out there when he simply couldnt do it anymore despite better options.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 10:55 AM

It all depends on if this year is simply an outlier or the start of a decline. I like Jeter as much as anybody else, but if he isnt a good player by 2011, I dont want him signed in a starting role. Thankfully he seems like the type who would realize when he isnt really helping the team anymore.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 10:58 AM
Well when Jeter stops being a winner you let me know, because that hasn't happened yet first of all.

Secondly, you are assuming Jeter is useless by 2010 which I don't see happening. I will at least give the guy the benefit on one poor season before declaring him washed up, I think he has earned that, but you seem to have no loyalty. I root for the Yankees and the jersey and want them to win as many WS as possible, but I also root for the guys in those jerseys and I was for signing Posada even though it was a deal that favored him and not the team, and the same for Mariano, and it will be the same for Jeter.

There was nobody around to replace Posada, same for Mo and the same for Jeter. You think what you like but guys like Mo and Jeter are one of a kind, they don't just come along and they aren't sitting in the Yankees farm system ready to take over when the current guys are done.

Also when you say you don't give a crap about Yankees records, does that mean you would toss aside guys like Berra, Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig, etc. if they weren't as good as they were in their primes in the last few years of their careers?

I see what you are saying, but if I am given an option between being loyal and losing or not being loyal and winning i pick the latter every time. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

webassign
07-29-08, 10:59 AM
It all depends on if this year is simply an outlier or the start of a decline. I like Jeter as much as anybody else, but if he isnt a good player by 2011, I dont want him signed in a starting role. Thankfully he seems like the type who would realize when he isnt really helping the team anymore.
I don't know about that. He's always had this overly simple (almost childish) mentality about going out and playing every day. It's always rubbed me the wrong way with him because it seems so disingenuous for a 34 year old man to be like that. Let's be honest, Jeter has a huge ego but he does a good job of hiding it from everyone.

Gusto
07-29-08, 11:04 AM
I dont know a year before the Red Sox traded Nomar, did you think they would ever trade him?

Knowing Cashman if a move needs to be done, it will be done. The good thing is Torre is no longer the manager and Giradi isnt going to play anybody out of loyalty if this becomes a problem down the road. The Bernie situation was magnified because of the way Torre endlessy trotted him out there when he simply couldnt do it anymore despite better options.

Agree ... Jeter isn't immuned to the harshness of the business. At the same time I don't see him playing for another team.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-29-08, 11:07 AM
I don't know about that. He's always had this overly simple (almost childish) mentality about going out and playing every day. It's always rubbed me the wrong way with him because it seems so disingenuous for a 34 year old man to be like that. Let's be honest, Jeter has a huge ego but he does a good job of hiding it from everyone.

I think that any player that good and that well compensated is going to have an ego. But I actually think he does an admirable job of saying the right things and leading by example. He plays hurt, and doesn't complain. What more can you ask?

themgmt
07-29-08, 11:10 AM

Nomar was always hurt and he was about to be a FA and test the market, so they traded him mid season. He also supposedly had problems with the FO. When Jeter got his contract in 01, that was a similar situation. I could definitely see Jeter leaving back then..

webassign
07-29-08, 11:11 AM
I think that any player that good and that well compensated is going to have an ego. But I actually think he does an admirable job of saying the right things and leading by example. He plays hurt, and doesn't complain. What more can you ask?
Well, we'll see how it comes into play when and if Jeter eventually declines to a point where it is hurting the team.

Dustin563
07-29-08, 11:32 AM
Well, we'll see how it comes into play when and if Jeter eventually declines to a point where it is hurting the team.

I know for a fact that Jeter will never be Jason Varitek.

yankeeman61
07-29-08, 03:43 PM

But having Bonds on the team is just fine with you, right?

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-29-08, 03:46 PM

As a one year thing I dont see why it wouldnt be fine, as long as he performs well.

yankeeman61
07-29-08, 04:08 PM
As a one year thing I dont see why it wouldnt be fine, as long as he performs well.

I wouldn't even want Bonds for a one day thing, but my question was more about a comparison of the type of egos. I just find it curious how Jeter could rub the poster the wrong way, and yet more than willing to tolerate Bonds and all of his baggage on the chance that he "might" produce whenever he is "available" to play. I honestly don't understand how any fan of baseball could have this preference. Opinions are like....

montrealer
07-29-08, 08:34 PM
Tampa Bay........

webassign
07-29-08, 08:39 PM
Yes because he doesn't hide it. Barry knows he's a godly hitter and an asshole and he doesn't give a **** if you hate him. Love the arrogance. :)

yankeeman61
07-29-08, 09:37 PM
Yes because he doesn't hide it. Barry knows he's a godly hitter and an asshole and he doesn't give a **** if you hate him. Love the arrogance. :)

Well in this world there are plenty of these types around to keep you in ecstasy. It's too bad we can't have separate planets so we could all be happy :)