PDA

View Full Version : ESPN loses all credibility: Yanks looking at Bonds

BobbyMeacham's glove
07-24-08, 05:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3503613

This is the epitome of creating something out of nothing. They could have asked Hank/Hal is they would sign Charles Manson, they respond, "we look at every possibility", doesn't mean they are considering it.

Give me a break. Stuff like this proves you can't beleive anything the media tell you. If they told me the sky is blue I would doubt it at this point.

:mad::mad::mad:

Hey,

Tifoso
07-24-08, 05:36 PM
I expect him in pinstripes before the end of the month.

Yankee Tripper
07-24-08, 05:38 PM
I expect him in pinstripes before the end of the month.I hope it doesn't take that long. I expect them, to annonce the news during Sunday night baseball.

NYYDragoon
07-24-08, 05:39 PM
I didn't know they had any credibility left.

HelloNewman
07-24-08, 05:41 PM
^^^^^^^^

msw6880
07-24-08, 05:44 PM
Associated Press

ESPN isn't the only one with the story.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlyCGiAALnf8By2CKmwXHh0RvLYF?slug=ap-yankees-meetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/59450

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8375662/Bonds-among-topics-at-Yankees%27-meetings

JL25and3
07-24-08, 05:48 PM
It's everywhere. I heard it on AM and XM this afternoon.

Yeah, it's nothing masquerading as something. On the other hand, I don't see how it damages anyone's credibility. They don't say anything that's not accurate, or that's even exaggerated - or even that's misleading. The headline reads, "Will Yanks buy Bonds? Slugger on the table at team meeting," which reflects the facts perfectly well.

themgmt
07-24-08, 05:49 PM
How is this different from the myriad of other reports from various sources? This doesn't reek of haterade

montrealer
07-24-08, 05:52 PM
Yet........we sit here and watch the 'Dog and Pony" all the time............I have truly lost all hope for mankind.

msw6880
07-24-08, 06:06 PM
If Bonds signs for the Yankees, does ESPN gain all credibility? Or just some?

BobbyMeacham's glove
07-24-08, 06:09 PM
My point is not their bias or hatred towards the Yankees, but that you could insert ANY team name in this article. Every team looks at every possibility, no matter how far fetched something is. It doesn't mean they will do it, just doing their due dillegence.

It's everywhere. I heard it on AM and XM this afternoon.

Yeah, it's nothing masquerading as something. On the other hand, I don't see how it damages anyone's credibility. They don't say anything that's not accurate, or that's even exaggerated - or even that's misleading. The headline reads, "Will Yanks buy Bonds? Slugger on the table at team meeting," which reflects the facts perfectly well.

AcidLake
07-24-08, 06:19 PM
I'll be in tons of mixed feelings if this happens. It could/will be a big offense boost, but then there will be tons more torment comments on Yankees

YanksFan1992
07-24-08, 06:21 PM
I'll be in tons of mixed feelings if this happens. It could/will be a big offense boost, but then there will be tons more torment comments on Yankees
Everyone hates us already, so I think we might as well embrace it. ;)

JDPNYY
07-24-08, 06:23 PM
If Bonds signs for the Yankees, does ESPN gain all credibility? Or just some?

I'd say the Thread starter would lose a little credibility.

themgmt
07-24-08, 07:03 PM
In fact I would suspect Hank is saying this to add steam to the Bonds deal in order to lessen the perceived need of a bat for the Yankees and give them a little more leverage.

JL25and3
07-24-08, 07:10 PM
My point is not their bias or hatred towards the Yankees, but that you could insert ANY team name in this article. Every team looks at every possibility, no matter how far fetched something is. It doesn't mean they will do it, just doing their due dillegence.Well, that's certainly true, and this is certainly a non-story. But the trading deadline is big news with fans (just look at the number of threads and posts about it here) so of course the media will give it constant, exhaustive coverage. despite the fact that there are only a few moments of actual news. I still don't see anything that compromises anyone's credibility.

False1
07-24-08, 07:21 PM
In fact I would suspect Hank is saying this to add steam to the Bonds deal in order to lessen the perceived need of a bat for the Yankees and give them a little more leverage.This was my thought as well, although if you can withstand the drama AND you think Bonds can get into baseball shape quick enough to be a difference maker this year, this is such a no brainer. I can't stand Barry Bonds... but the potential that he can still swing like last year + short porch in LF in the Bronx at the major league minimum and no talent cost to acquire him?

At this point I think the Yankees have to look at this unless they are unequivocally convinced he cannot do as a DH this year what he did as an OF last year.

And I think I threw up a little in my mouth just saying that.

False1
07-24-08, 07:22 PM
I can just hear Waldman cackling if Bonds show's up the Steinbrenner's box one of these home games... :barf:

4bronxbombers
07-24-08, 07:24 PM
I do not want Barry Bonds on the team but if he ends up on the Yankee I would root for him, like everyone in the pinstripes.

sweet_lou_14
07-24-08, 07:25 PM
I expect him in pinstripes before the end of the month.

With all due respect Lou, don't bet on it.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 07:26 PM
With all due respect Lou, don't bet on it.

We'll see, amico mio ;)

Reggie Smith
07-24-08, 07:28 PM
My point is not their bias or hatred towards the Yankees, but that you could insert ANY team name in this article. Every team looks at every possibility, no matter how far fetched something is. It doesn't mean they will do it, just doing their due dillegence.

You really think it's hatred, and not maybe the possibility with the all-time home run champ and the greatest baseball franchise talking? It's not like they are talking about Royals in talks with Kory Casto.

primetime714
07-24-08, 07:29 PM

This is the epitome of creating something out of nothing. They could have asked Hank/Hal is they would sign Charles Manson, they respond, "we look at every possibility", doesn't mean they are considering it.

Give me a break. Stuff like this proves you can't beleive anything the media tell you. If they told me the sky is blue I would doubt it at this point.

Hey,

How have they lost credibility. Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of ESPN and their baseball coverage, but give me a break. Hank said it would be discussed which is what they reported in this article. They're reporting that they heard that the team is talking about it. It may not seem like much, but with a high profile player like Bonds and a high profile team like the Yankees even that in of itself is news.

As terrible as ESPN's coverage can be its ridiculous that people keep talking about it every chance they get. I mean in the freaking Bobby Murcer thread a couple people went on and on about how ESPN wasn't reporting it. WHO GIVES A F* ABOUT ESPN??!!

What I do care about is the Yankees discussing the possibility of signing Bonds. Its not much to go on, but its news to me that they're even discussing it. The last I heard was that they had no interest.

TheYankee
07-24-08, 07:29 PM

Hey,Before your head explodes, you might want to know this is an AP story, not an ESPN story. ESPN routinely posts AP stories, like every other major sports outlet.

Look, nobody enjoys ESPN, but this shouldn't be a reason.

AMarshal2
07-24-08, 07:38 PM
Seems made up to me. What would Cashman want with a 5th DH?

primetime714
07-24-08, 07:43 PM

Who are the other 4? Matsui is on the DL and probably won't return. Posada is on the DL and shouldn't return. Damon will be ready to play the OF again by the time Bonds is ready. Giambi has played well at 1B this year. Betemit isn't a starter.

We have guys who CAN play DH, we don't have guys that HAVE TO play there.

Unless Matsui's knee magically improves, Bonds makes a ton of sense. As far as Posada goes the team should insist that he has the surgery sooner rather than later we really need him back behind the plate for 2009 MUCH MORE than we need him at 1B or DH this year.

AMarshal2
07-24-08, 07:50 PM
Giambi has played well for him but Giambi has not played well. He's a DH of the highest order, the Yankees just don't have a 1B. Damon is a major improvement over Gardner because of his bat but if Matsui returns the Yankees are better off with him as the DH (or Matsui, depending on the knee). If Posada can play he's probably a better hitter than Bonds right now. I suppose that if Matsui and Posada don't return then Bonds makes some sense. Perhaps this says something about what the Yankees expect from Posada/Matsui.

BroadwayBomber55
07-24-08, 07:53 PM
It's going to be like the Sammy Sosa situation in 2000 when all the rumors come flying out about the Yankees getting Sosa, but Brian Cashman derailed that by acquiring David Justice from the Cleveland Indians and getting Jose Canseco off waivers from the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 07:59 PM
Who are the other 4? Matsui is on the DL and probably won't return. Posada is on the DL and shouldn't return. Damon will be ready to play the OF again by the time Bonds is ready. Giambi has played well at 1B this year. Betemit isn't a starter.

We have guys who CAN play DH, we don't have guys that HAVE TO play there.

Unless Matsui's knee magically improves, Bonds makes a ton of sense. As far as Posada goes the team should insist that he has the surgery sooner rather than later we really need him back behind the plate for 2009 MUCH MORE than we need him at 1B or DH this year.

webassign
07-24-08, 08:09 PM
What number will Barry wear?

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 08:14 PM
What number will Barry wear?

Prisoner # HA755

He'll look good in orange though

dont_ya_know24
07-24-08, 08:27 PM
this really means nothing. hank said they'd talk about everything, and they did. doesn't mean they're interested, just means they talked about everyone who is available that could help this team...

JL25and3
07-24-08, 08:28 PM
It's going to be like the Sammy Sosa situation in 2000 when all the rumors come flying out about the Yankees getting Sosa, but Brian Cashman derailed that by acquiring David Justice from the Cleveland Indians and getting Jose Canseco off waivers from the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays.Getting Canseco was almost accidental - they probably made the claim to block Oakland from making a trade for him. Then the Yankees found themselves stuck with him, with no good use for him. He basically just took at-bats away from Glenallen Hill and Shane Spencer, both of whom were better than Canseco by then.

webassign
07-24-08, 08:35 PM
Prisoner # HA755

He'll look good in orange though
I think a 73 would look good on him.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 09:10 PM
I think a 73 would look good on him.

Good idea *73

cyhughes22
07-24-08, 09:13 PM
I think he should have 3 letters instead of a number. IRS comes to mind.;)

JDPNYY
07-24-08, 09:53 PM
I can just hear Waldman cackling if Bonds show's up the Steinbrenner's box one of these home games... :barf:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=5252883&postcount=84

"Ohhhh moy gawd, Barry Bawnds is in the owners bawx and he's waving to the fans."
-JDPNYY 7/2/08

stupidpunchline
07-24-08, 09:56 PM
I'm watching Baseball Tonight right now, and they're bullet-pointing the Yankees Red Sox series this weekend. Here were their comments related to the bullpens...

"Joba now in the rotation... Complete turnover in the [Yankees] bullpen."

"Justin Masterson really changes the equation in their bullpen."

They make no mention of Ramirez and Farnsworth's respective hit-less streaks of 29 and 28 batters. Nor do they mention the emergence of Jose Veras and David Robertson as viable relievers.

They do, however, hype Justin Masterson (1 career relief appearance).

I'm pretty sure these guys don't follow baseball.

YanksFan1992
07-24-08, 10:23 PM
I'm watching Baseball Tonight right now, and they're bullet-pointing the Yankees Red Sox series this weekend. Here were their comments related to the bullpens...

They make no mention of Ramirez and Farnsworth's respective hit-less streaks of 29 and 28 batters. Nor do they mention the emergence of Jose Veras and David Robertson as viable relievers.

Besides games, the only real baseball coverage I watch on ESPN is the first 20minutes or so on Sportscenter when they show the highlights. But as soon as they starting doing analysis I change the channel.

I really like NFL Live and College Football Gameday, but I have a hard time watching Baseball Tonight, when it seems many of their analysts know less about baseball than I do (this obviously isn't true, but sometimes you wonder).

Prison Mike
07-24-08, 10:25 PM
All smoke and mirrors....

Jace
07-24-08, 11:18 PM
Good idea *73

They all did steroids, Bonds was just the highest profile and the biggest douchebag

JeffWeaverFan
07-24-08, 11:20 PM
After losing me as an employee, I'm wondering how that company is still around?!?:P

Jace
07-24-08, 11:22 PM

Ravech is a Sox fan that likes backhanded compliments, Phillips hates the Yankees for reasons that I dont completely understand (but I am sure he does because ive seen him essentially admit it on live TV), Gammons is a Sox fan although he covers the Yankees fairly, Kruk adds nothing intelligent, and everyone else is completely forgettable

You don't have to watch it, so generally i dont. They just annoy the ................ out of me

edit: woah did the censor get broken?

YanksFan1992
07-24-08, 11:43 PM
Ravech is a Sox fan that likes backhanded compliments, Phillips hates the Yankees for reasons that I dont completely understand (but I am sure he does because ive seen him essentially admit it on live TV), Gammons is a Sox fan although he covers the Yankees fairly, Kruk adds nothing intelligent, and everyone else is completely forgettable

You don't have to watch it, so generally i dont. They just annoy the s*** out of me

edit: woah did the censor get broken? f***?

I don't believe there is a censor here. :lol:

Edit: Just edited the swear words out of your post, so the mods don't have to edit two posts. :o

dont_ya_know24
07-24-08, 11:54 PM
fix it lol...

False1
07-25-08, 12:40 AM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=5252883&postcount=84

"Ohhhh moy gawd, Barry Bawnds is in the owners bawx and he's waving to the fans."
-JDPNYY 7/2/08I suppose I owe you royalties. Let me know where to send the check. ;)

It's hard keeping up with the eleventeen Bonds threads we have rocking right now.

continentalg5
07-25-08, 12:57 AM

IMO, ESPN is ridiculously biased against the Yankees.

I only watch ESPN when the Yankees are playing on their station, other than that, they are worthless.

dont_ya_know24
07-25-08, 01:08 AM
looooool bk

yankswn23
07-25-08, 07:29 AM
So if Bonds singns with the Yankees, hits a HR, then technically that would be the new record as is every HR bonds hits from now on and then it would belong to the Yankees again ;)

BRNXBMRS
07-25-08, 08:09 AM
I saw this headline last night and just laughed. Very very slow news day last night when most of the MLB teams were off. ESPN making a story out of nothing, as usual.

yankeeman61
07-25-08, 08:16 AM
They all did steroids, Bonds was just the highest profile and the biggest douchebag

And who also happened to set new and tainted records

PeteRFNY
07-25-08, 08:20 AM
I have to say, if the Yankees actually sign Bonds it will be very hard for me to root for this team with him on it. We are not talking about a second chance project here, someone who is trying to kick drugs or alcohol. We're talking about a guy who got so jealous of what was going on in 1998 that he had to surpass it at any cost, the ultimate in malignant narcissism.

I'd rather have the Yankees miss the playoffs completely than be happy about the ultimate in quick fixes, which probably won't even be all that quick.

If Hank, Hal, Cash (and whoever else signs off on something so stupid) pull the trigger on this, they deserve whatever fallout they get (the same way someone buying a piece of crap used car shouldn't be surprised when the transmission drops on the Belt Parkway).

Whenever I hear people pooh-poohing the fact that Dino Head will need a ton of time to get ready to swing a bat competitively AND is 44, in my head I just keep seeing Randy Johnson. He was supposedly not too old and also going to be the savior that would push the Yankees over the top.

THAT worked out REAL well. This can only be worse.

Bozidar
07-25-08, 08:30 AM
Everyone hates us already, so I think we might as well embrace it. ;)i'd rather not hate us too..

CyYoung4Vazquez
07-25-08, 08:32 AM
I really wish the Yankees would refuse to have ESPN telecast any of their games. That would be pretty hilarious.

primetime714
07-25-08, 08:36 AM
I have to say, if the Yankees actually sign Bonds it will be very hard for me to root for this team with him on it. We are not talking about a second chance project here, someone who is trying to kick drugs or alcohol. We're talking about a guy who got so jealous of what was going on in 1998 that he had to surpass it at any cost, the ultimate in malignant narcissism.

I'd rather have the Yankees miss the playoffs completely than be happy about the ultimate in quick fixes, which probably won't even be all that quick.

If Hank, Hal, Cash (and whoever else signs off on something so stupid) pull the trigger on this, they deserve whatever fallout they get (the same way someone buying a piece of crap used car shouldn't be surprised when the transmission drops on the Belt Parkway).

Whenever I hear people pooh-poohing the fact that Dino Head will need a ton of time to get ready to swing a bat competitively AND is 44, in my head I just keep seeing Randy Johnson. He was supposedly not too old and also going to be the savior that would push the Yankees over the top.

THAT worked out REAL well. This can only be worse.

The real issue with Barry is that people are mad because he broke a record unfairly by breaking a rule that was barely enforced by the league. If he hadn't broken the record he'd be treated no differently than guys like Giambi.

Bozidar
07-25-08, 09:07 AM
The real issue with Barry is that people are mad because he broke a record unfairly by breaking a rule that was barely enforced by the league. If he hadn't broken the record he'd be treated no differently than guys like Giambi.or maybe it's because he's a gigantic (literally) asswipe?

YASS
07-25-08, 09:17 AM
I really wish the Yankees would refuse to have ESPN telecast any of their games. That would be pretty hilarious.
I really don't think the ESPN contract with MLB allows teams this option.

Ynkcpt23
07-25-08, 09:23 AM

Between Steve Phillips and John Kruk it's sometimes difficult to figure out when the stupidity lets up to allow them to show what utter douchebags they are. You couldn't pay me to watch that show, though I do like Gammons despite his being a Sux fan. At least he's not a Nation guy like Ravech, who doesn't have the chops to cover baseball in the first place.

Jace
07-25-08, 09:28 AM
And who also happened to set new and tainted records

So he was just the best combination of human and chemical talent. Same rule breaking, doesn't bother me any more than anyone else. I don't care about the moral aspect of steroids, I care that they all broke the rules

He's not a decent person either of course, but its baseball and I try not to admire them for their stellar personal lives. Tough call for me

BRNXBMRS
07-25-08, 09:32 AM

me to.

HondaCop
07-25-08, 09:35 AM
I sure hope the Yanks sign Bonds... Just imagine what he can do with that short right field porch. :) Come on Yanks, make ESPN look like geniuses!

False1
07-25-08, 09:48 AM

THAT worked out REAL well. This can only be worse.I hate Barry Bonds. I question whether at this age after being out of baseball for this long if he could even get close to his level of performance from last year. I know the Yankees would get a ton of grief if they inked him, even if it was really a no risk deal like a ML minimum pro-rated.

Between the chalk stripes, no one can really argue that this would be one of the most lopsided risk/reward decisions of all time. You have a chance to sign a bona fide OPS machine like history has never seen that as of last year was still a dominant force for a) zero talent cost and b) a few hundred grand. And he doesn't need to bring a mitt.

That must be weighed against the reputational cost and affect on the clubhouse. Maybe this situation has humbled Bonds somewhat (I doubt it). I'm torn on this. There have been guys that wore pinstripes that have done far worse than Bonds, but have not been public enemies to the same degree. I'd much rather have Matsui come back and tear the cover off the ball than try a Bonds renaissance project. But if Matsui is out for the year, the FO have to seriously consider this, evaluate whether he can contribute and if it would be worth all the drama.

So in other words, cross your fingers for Godzilla.

Derek2HOF
07-25-08, 09:56 AM
I hate Barry Bonds. I question whether at this age after being out of baseball for this long if he could even get close to his level of performance from last year. I know the Yankees would get a ton of grief if they inked him, even if it was really a no risk deal like a ML minimum pro-rated.

Between the chalk stripes, no one can really argue that this would be one of the most lopsided risk/reward decisions of all time. You have a chance to sign a bona fide OPS machine like history has never seen that as of last year was still a dominant force for a) zero talent cost and b) a few hundred grand. And he doesn't need to bring a mitt.

That must be weighed against the reputational cost and affect on the clubhouse. Maybe this situation has humbled Bonds somewhat (I doubt it). I'm torn on this. There have been guys that wore pinstripes that have done far worse than Bonds, but have not been public enemies to the same degree. I'd much rather have Matsui come back and tear the cover off the ball than try a Bonds renaissance project. But if Matsui is out for the year, the FO have to seriously consider this, evaluate whether he can contribute and if it would be worth all the drama.

So in other words, cross your fingers for Godzilla.

I Want the Yankees to sign Bonds, but that is because I think Matsui is done for the year. Hopefully he is not. If Matsui is coming back then I would pass on Bonds.

CyYoung4Vazquez
07-25-08, 10:18 AM
I really don't think the ESPN contract with MLB allows teams this option.

Come on, it's the Yankees. They can do whatever they damn well please. Haha.

HondaCop
07-25-08, 10:24 AM
I really hope the Yanks sign Bonds to a 6-year deal. :P If Satchel Paige played till he was 59, why can't Bonds?

JL25and3
07-25-08, 12:55 PM
The real issue with Barry is that people are mad because he broke a record unfairly by breaking a rule that was barely enforced by the league. If he hadn't broken the record he'd be treated no differently than guys like Giambi.To my mind, the HR record isn't the biggest mockery. Believe it or not, what really gets my goat is his taking the walks record from Rickey. I mean, at least Barry still had to hit the HRs; the walks were just given to him.

Intentional walks, Henderson: 61
Intentional walks, Bonds: 688

Hellsing
07-25-08, 02:41 PM
The price of gas is of more concern to me than ESPN's credibility.

BroadwayBomber55
07-25-08, 09:38 PM
Getting Canseco was almost accidental - they probably made the claim to block Oakland from making a trade for him. Then the Yankees found themselves stuck with him, with no good use for him. He basically just took at-bats away from Glenallen Hill and Shane Spencer, both of whom were better than Canseco by then.
Agreed.

Sure, Jose Canseco won a WS ring with the Yankees in the 2000 Championship run, but he was a non-factor. Ditto for Denny Neagle.

David Justice, Glenallen Hill, and Jose Vizcaino were the key players in those trades.

PeteRFNY
07-25-08, 10:53 PM
The real issue with Barry is that people are mad because he broke a record unfairly by breaking a rule that was barely enforced by the league. If he hadn't broken the record he'd be treated no differently than guys like Giambi.

Not in my case. I haven't liked Bonds since his run-ins with Jim Leyland over playing time back when he was in Pittsburgh. Even then, everything had to be about 'Barry'. That was several hundred home runs and four hat sizes ago.

The difference with guys like Giambi (although I'm pretty sure Giambi is the only Giambi) is that he has at least tried to be a good citizen since then. Barry (through his agent), much like Pete Rose, still arrogantly wonders what he did wrong, rolling the marbles around in his hand and talking about the Strawberries.

Hopefully, this is now all moot since the Marte/Nady deal is done.

JL25and3
07-26-08, 07:33 AM
still arrogantly wonders what he did wrong, rolling the marbles around in his hand and talking about the Strawberries.Excellent reference. Well played.