PDA

View Full Version : Cashman - trade for Josh Bard. NOW.

yanksphan
07-22-08, 06:19 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7828

The Padres will put catcher Josh Bard on the trading block as soon as he is activated from the disabled list, a move likely to happen sometime this week.

Please.

Snatch Catch
07-22-08, 06:21 PM
I only saw Josh on the front page. I thought this was going to be a request for Josh Willingham. That would have made me really happy.

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 06:24 PM
The funny thing is, I can see the Sox trading to get him back.

YASS
07-22-08, 06:33 PM
That would be nice and symmetrical. Kevin Towers owes us, big time, for that deal.

HelloNewman
07-22-08, 06:43 PM
Was a good hitter in '06 and '07, but .540 OPS this year. And has thrown out 6 of 47 base stealers. After throwing out 10 of 131 last year. :eek:

The Comic Book Guy
07-22-08, 06:48 PM
Was a good hitter in '06 and '07, but .540 OPS this year. And has thrown out 6 of 47 base stealers. After throwing out 10 of 131 last year. :eek:

In fairness, the Padres starters (with the exceptions of Tomko and Wolf) are all pretty bad at holding runners on.

I think Bard just needs to get out of Petco. I'd trade for him, but I wonder what the cost is going to be.

Panamaniac42
07-22-08, 06:49 PM
Haven't been following Texas closely, but anyone know if one of their 4 catchers (Laird, Salty, Ramirez, Teagarden) is available? Not sure what the "Yankee tax" would be.

Prison Mike
07-22-08, 06:49 PM
I would love this deal depending on the cost.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-22-08, 06:54 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1158/1468642492_906d1880e1.jpg?v=0

yanksphan
07-22-08, 07:03 PM
Igawa for Bard seems like the obvious match. Especially with Wolf getting shipped out today.

HelloNewman
07-22-08, 07:06 PM
Igawa for Bard seems like the obvious match. Especially with Wolf getting shipped out today.Kind of a large money disparity there. Bard only makes a little over $2 million and his deal is up after this season.

bmxstreetrider86
07-22-08, 07:07 PM
Haven't been following Texas closely, but anyone know if one of their 4 catchers (Laird, Salty, Ramirez, Teagarden) is available? Not sure what the "Yankee tax" would be.

ramirez def isnt a catcher long term

salty probably isnt a catcher long term

Teagarden is def a catcher long term, but can he hit?

laird is having a pretty decent year, but is currently injured

i like ramirez's bat alot, and id see what the price is and stick him behind the plate for the rest of the year

yanksphan
07-22-08, 09:05 PM
Kind of a large money disparity there. Bard only makes a little over $2 million and his deal is up after this season.

That kind of money won't stop the Yanks from getting their man.

Send Igawa with an extra suitcase full of cash.

HelloNewman
07-22-08, 09:22 PM
That kind of money won't stop the Yanks from getting their man.

Send Igawa with an extra suitcase full of cash.If Igawa's in the Washburn trade, as rumored, I'd rather have Washburn.

NelsonMuntz
07-22-08, 09:33 PM
OPS+ of 50 this year. I'll forgive Cash if he doesn't jump on this one.

genius-24
07-22-08, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't mind this dude. He was pretty good last couple of years. Seems like injury might have hampered his stats this season. If he is ready to go, I think cash should give it a good serious thought.

StatenIslandYankee
07-22-08, 10:13 PM
I would LOVE to have him

Evil Empire
07-22-08, 10:34 PM
I only saw Josh on the front page. I thought this was going to be a request for Josh Willingham. That would have made me really happy.

See I thought it was for Hamilton.

JohnnyDamonfan
07-22-08, 10:46 PM

I only saw Josh on the front page too. And I sighed because I thought it was a request for Josh Hamilton.

just-blaze
07-23-08, 01:44 AM
Bard for Igawa and cash.

Makes sense for both sides.

BxBomber44
07-23-08, 01:56 AM
Igawa for Bard seems like the obvious match. Especially with Wolf getting shipped out today.

Padres wanted Igawa in off-season too. Or at least showed interest.

yanksphan
07-23-08, 05:51 AM
OPS+ of 50 this year. I'll forgive Cash if he doesn't jump on this one.

I think Cash is smart enough to look beyond one tough luck injury riddled season.

Bub
07-23-08, 06:44 AM
Was a good hitter in '06 and '07, but .540 OPS this year. And has thrown out 6 of 47 base stealers. After throwing out 10 of 131 last year. :eek:So is it the pitchers' fault? What kind of reputation does his throwing arm have? If this is what we're going to get here we may as well let Posada continue to play.

blumj
07-23-08, 06:59 AM
Considering he is literally the only catcher in baseball that they already know can't catch one of their starting pitchers, I would think he's about the least likely trade target for the Red Sox.

BRNXBMRS
07-23-08, 07:59 AM
Bard for Igawa and cash.

Makes sense for both sides.

Lock it up.

R.V.47
07-23-08, 08:00 AM
I wouldnt mind having his bat but Molina should probably still get the majority of the starts.

hockeypuck2008
07-23-08, 08:32 AM

just because the Padres were interested in Igawa in the past does not mean they are interested now. Bard is a major leaguer, Igawa is not. Why would the Padres do that?

NelsonMuntz
07-23-08, 09:29 AM
I think Cash is smart enough to look beyond one tough luck injury riddled season.
Despite the fact that Cash clearly has a long term plan for this team, he also knows that he needs to help this team win this year. Bard does nothing to help the team in the short term and I think that is where Cashman's focus is right now.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-23-08, 09:37 AM
I wouldnt mind having his bat but Molina should probably still get the majority of the starts.

I agree. While his offense is bad, he brings a lot to this team. I don't think C is our biggest problem.

bigjf
07-23-08, 10:23 AM
I'd rather get Bengie.

primetime714
07-23-08, 10:52 AM
I agree. While his offense is bad, he brings a lot to this team. I don't think C is our biggest problem.

Yea I agree. I think the offensive improvement should come from the OF not from C where we are getting incredible defense from Molina.

bigjf
07-23-08, 11:40 AM
Yea I agree. I think the offensive improvement should come from the OF not from C where we are getting incredible defense from Molina.

My only concern is Jose is used to being a backup, so even though he's been an everyday guy this year, I'm wondering if he'll wear out soon. Bengie could come cheap enough (not sure of SF's price) and would provide a lot of stability there with the bat as well.

*I see he's signed through next year, but he could still be worth it. Who knows how Posada's rehab will go.

yanksphan
07-23-08, 11:47 AM
Despite the fact that Cash clearly has a long term plan for this team, he also knows that he needs to help this team win this year. Bard does nothing to help the team in the short term and I think that is where Cashman's focus is right now.

Molina/Bard > Molina/Moeller

NelsonMuntz
07-23-08, 02:53 PM
Molina/Bard > Molina/Moeller
Not this year. Bard's numbers are awful (worse than Moeller). As I said earlier, if this were a rebuilding year trading for Bard might make sense. But he does nothing to help this team in 2008.

Jumpman_DJ
07-23-08, 06:35 PM
I only saw Josh on the front page too. And I sighed because I thought it was a request for Josh Hamilton.

Its a Pipedream all yankee fans are having after that Hr display..

Hamilton in pinstripes= :drool:

Tifoso
07-23-08, 06:38 PM
throwing out 10 of 131 last year. :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

yanksphan
07-23-08, 07:16 PM
Not this year. Bard's numbers are awful (worse than Moeller). As I said earlier, if this were a rebuilding year trading for Bard might make sense. But he does nothing to help this team in 2008.

Come on NM - you're comparing an injured player to someone who barely plays.

Small sample sizes don't tell much, and I can't believe you're going to argue that Moeller (a career minor leaguer) is anywhere near the player Bard is.

siddiqi
07-23-08, 07:28 PM
I'm hoping for a Molina brothers reunion, Bengie isn't that great, but I think he is an upgrade over Moeller and he's used to catching full time, Jose won't get worn down so much over the course of the year.

R.V.47
07-23-08, 07:32 PM
I'm hoping for a Molina brothers reunion, Bengie isn't that great, but I think he is an upgrade over Moeller and he's used to catching full time, Jose won't get worn down so much over the course of the year.

Bengie would definitly start over Jose. The offense would be an improvement but Jose seems to have a great connection with the pitchers this year and his defense is tremendous. I wouldnt mind trading for a backup but I dont think we need to replace Molina full time. Bard is a good option because he is a backup who can also hit a little bit.

NelsonMuntz
07-23-08, 10:56 PM
Come on NM - you're comparing an injured player to someone who barely plays.

Small sample sizes don't tell much, and I can't believe you're going to argue that Moeller (a career minor leaguer) is anywhere near the player Bard is.
You're miscronstruing my argument. I'm certain Bard has more talent than Moeller. Again, if we were in rebuilding mode trading for Bard would make all the sense in the world. But in the middle of a pennant race I just do not think Cashman is not going to waste our trade chips on a player who is not going to help us this year.

yanksphan
07-24-08, 06:06 AM
You're miscronstruing my argument. I'm certain Bard has more talent than Moeller. Again, if we were in rebuilding mode trading for Bard would make all the sense in the world. But in the middle of a pennant race I just do not think Cashman is not going to waste our trade chips on a player who is not going to help us this year.

See - I think this is where we differ. I think Bard's injuries earlier are where the subpar numbers are coming from. If he's healthy, and playing just a backup role this year (to build up strength, confidence, etc) - I think he DOES out play Moeller.

NelsonMuntz
07-24-08, 09:56 AM
See - I think this is where we differ. I think Bard's injuries earlier are where the subpar numbers are coming from. If he's healthy, and playing just a backup role this year (to build up strength, confidence, etc) - I think he DOES out play Moeller.
Maybe you're right. I'm not that familiar with his injuries. But I just don't think Cash is going to be willing to take that risk knowing we could really use a legitimate/proven right handed bat and ideally another starter.

justtxyank
07-24-08, 10:01 AM
I'd be all over Bengie Molina if available, but I have no interest in Bard. Just not good defensively.

ALso, I have a feeling that Posada may not be catching for us ever again.

mbn007
07-24-08, 10:02 AM
I would like to get Molina from the Giants. I think Jose would be on board with that also. I know Benji has a $6 million deal for 2009, but remember that Posada might not be ready until June, so the Molina Bros. would be a nice rotation. Benjie is OK defensively, a good hitter also.

False1
07-25-08, 12:53 AM
Not this year. Bard's numbers are awful (worse than Moeller). As I said earlier, if this were a rebuilding year trading for Bard might make sense. But he does nothing to help this team in 2008.I actually like his bat... And his splits from last year (127 OPS+ outside of Petco, 144 OPS+ against LHP) are intriguing.

But you sure you want this guy catching for us? He's thrown out 27 of his last 242 would-be base stealers. That's 11% folks.

Jorge was at 17% this year without even making throws in the beginning of the year and having a bum shoulder.

Unless there's some fixable root cause for that, pass.

Bleacher_Creature
09-17-08, 12:21 PM
Padres To Non-Tender Bard (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/padres-to-non-t.html)

According to MLB.com's Corey Brock (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080916&content_id=3487834&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd), the Padres plan to non-tender catcher Josh Bard this winter. They'll use Nick Hundley as the starting catcher in '09, and may add a veteran backup like Brad Ausmus.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/padres-to-non-t.html