PDA

View Full Version : Ohlendorf as trade bait?

Lumen
07-18-08, 11:29 PM
It looks like Ohlendorf is being stretched out in AAA. Is he a possible piece of a pre-deadline trade or are they re-evaluating Rasner and Ponson at the back of the rotation?

Here's his line from tonight:

4.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K. 91 pitches, 58 strikes.

sweet_lou_14
07-18-08, 11:35 PM
Interesting, I didn't know that. I think the Yanks are getting such great performances from the bullpen, and apparently have high enough hopes for Bruney's return as well, that they figure a guy like Ohlendorf would be most valuable to them as one of the starters competing for the #5 spot.

Not sure if that makes him any more valuable to other teams, but who knows.

Cheesyhoboe
07-18-08, 11:37 PM
Isn't there a rumor going around that the Pirates would be interested in Ohlie in a potential deal for Marte?

Hellsing
07-19-08, 12:25 AM
A package of Ohlendorf + Kennedy could net something very valuable like....IDK...Jason Bay?

JeffWeaverFan
07-19-08, 01:22 AM
A package of Ohlendorf + Kennedy could net something very valuable like....IDK...Jason Bay?
When their value was high I could see that, but both their values are low right now, and given how much the Pirates are supposedly asking for for Jason Bay, I don't see that being enough.

Don Mack
07-19-08, 01:55 AM

Why are there so many posters who are so anxious to trade away Ian Kennedy? I don't think Cashman has any intention of trading away any one of his "future" Big Three of Joba, Hughes and Kennedy. Ian moved up very quickly in the Yankee system and I believe he needs to spend this season in Triple A for more seasoning.

I wouldn't mind trading away Ohlendorf. But I'd also like to see them trade Melky Cabrera in a package deal for one good player. Melky is a disgrace to Yankee greats Earle Combs, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Bobby Murcer, and Bernie Williams. In 93 games, he has 34 RBI's. That just doesn't cut it. I don't care that he has a great arm. 34 RBI's in 93 games is not acceptable. I would rather have an outfield of Damon in left, Gardner in center and Abreu in right. As a backup for now, I believe Betemit can play the outfield as well as the infield.

As an aside, Freddy Garcia is going to be throwing for the scouts from July 20th thru July 24th after having shoulder surgery. He has said he feels like he has a new shoulder. ARod is high on him and so far the Yankees and Mets have expressed interest. I'd much rather go with Garcia than Eric Milton, if Garcia can show he's ready to pitch again. Garcia would like to sign on with someone by the end of July.

Sparks
07-19-08, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't mind trading away Ohlendorf. But I'd also like to see them trade Melky Cabrera in a package deal for one good player. Melky is a disgrace to Yankee greats Earle Combs, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Bobby Murcer, and Bernie Williams. In 93 games, he has 34 RBI's. That just doesn't cut it. I don't care that he has a great arm. 34 RBI's in 93 games is not acceptable. I would rather have an outfield of Damon in left, Gardner in center and Abreu in right. As a backup for now, I believe Betemit can play the outfield as well as the infield.

In fairness to Melky, do you honestly believe that he was going to stack up to that crop of talent that you listed? Melky is a below-average offensive player with well above-average defense. If you need him to be a .280-.300 hitter like those guys were, then you're pretty much asking for trouble.

And Gardner, save for his speed, isn't much better.

Which brings my next point, I like the idea of stretching Ohlendorf out into becoming a starter. But I just can't find reasoning to which why an all-star like Bay would be traded to the Yanks for literally our 'garbage' prospects. Makes no sense.

Zimmer's Helmet
07-19-08, 02:58 AM
Which brings my next point, I like the idea of stretching Ohlendorf out into becoming a starter. But I just can't find reasoning to which why an all-star like Bay would be traded to the Yanks for literally our 'garbage' prospects. Makes no sense.

It makes alot of sense. The Yankees are flush with prospects. Our "garbage" prospects would be an improvement over what many teams have.

The question is : Will Cashman pull the trigger?

Yankees1962
07-19-08, 03:11 AM
It makes alot of sense. The Yankees are flush with prospects. Our "garbage" prospects would be an improvement over what many teams have.

The question is : Will Cashman pull the trigger?
Actually, the Yankees aren't flush with prospects as they have few prime position players at AAA or AA or at High A ball. Other than Austin Jackson, I don't know if any other position player on those three teams will ever be a good ML player. Furthermore, the Yankees had too many of their pitching prospects get hurt, rehabbing from injury or pitched poorly that has affected their trade value.

What we don't know is whether other clubs view our prospects as high as you do?

Jonny
07-19-08, 03:31 AM
It would be a mistake to move him, especially for a rental. Just because he struggled in his first callup doesn't mean that the team should give up on him.

ajra21
07-19-08, 06:06 AM
Isn't there a rumor going around that the Pirates would be interested in Ohlie in a potential deal for Marte?

that i'd do.

but i would package him with kennedy for bay. his D sucks.

edit: is marte a free agent this winter?

ppa79
07-19-08, 10:00 AM

I would do that in a heart beat. If Marte leaves, we get 2 draft picks assuming he is a class A.

False1
07-19-08, 12:47 PM
I would do that in a heart beat. If Marte leaves, we get 2 draft picks assuming he is a class A.:-werd-:

NelsonMuntz
07-19-08, 02:58 PM
I can't imagine there is any substance to that rumor but I'd be very happy if it were true.

sweet_lou_14
07-20-08, 04:27 AM
Why are there so many posters who are so anxious to trade away Ian Kennedy? I don't think Cashman has any intention of trading away any one of his "future" Big Three of Joba, Hughes and Kennedy. Ian moved up very quickly in the Yankee system and I believe he needs to spend this season in Triple A for more seasoning.

I certainly respect that you expect good things for Kennedy, but until further notice I think there is no such thing as a "Big Three." There is Joba and two guys with a lot to prove, and only one of those two (the one who is not Kennedy) was ever thought of as a true high-ceiling pitcher.

JohnnyDamonfan
07-20-08, 07:03 AM
Actually, the Yankees aren't flush with prospects as they have few prime position players at AAA or AA or at High A ball. Other than Austin Jackson, I don't know if any other position player on those three teams will ever be a good ML player. Furthermore, the Yankees had too many of their pitching prospects get hurt, rehabbing from injury or pitched poorly that has affected their trade value.

What we don't know is whether other clubs view our prospects as high as you do?

Is Tabata in one of those 3 teams?

I wouldn't doubt Tabata just yet. I think he has potential to be a good Major League player too. I think he just might be having a bad season. But other then those 2 we basically have no prime position players in our farm.

mhmajp
07-20-08, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't doubt Tabata just yet. I think he has potential to be a good Major League player too. I think he just might be having a bad season. But other then those 2 we basically have no prime position players in our farm.

You don't like Montero or Suttle?

R.V.47
07-20-08, 03:02 PM
Im sure there are many teams that would like Ross. IIRC his name has been rumored to come upm repeatedly from the Pirates when talkind about Marte or Nady or Bay. It was a good idea to send him down but I still think he is better suited as a reliever.

Yankee Tripper
07-20-08, 05:17 PM
If Ross could bring anything of value, I'd move him without a second thought. We have plenty of right handed prospects of similar ilk.

primetime714
07-20-08, 05:39 PM
If Ross could bring anything of value, I'd move him without a second thought. We have plenty of right handed prospects of similar ilk.

Agreed he is certainly one of the more expendable arms in our system if you ask me. I do really like his stuff though, but that might be a main reason why other teams would have interest.

Yankees1962
07-20-08, 05:41 PM
Is Tabata in one of those 3 teams?

Tabata's value has definitely decreased at least as far as the baseball media is concern.

indianyanksfan
07-21-08, 01:57 PM
Tabata's value has definitely decreased at least as far as the baseball media is concern.

most of our offense is at charleston and below unfortunately.

MaximMan121
07-22-08, 01:12 PM

As an aside, Freddy Garcia is going to be throwing for the scouts from July 20th thru July 24th after having shoulder surgery. He has said he feels like he has a new shoulder. ARod is high on him and so far the Yankees and Mets have expressed interest. I'd much rather go with Garcia than Eric Milton, if Garcia can show he's ready to pitch again. Garcia would like to sign on with someone by the end of July.

If we got Bay for Kennedy and Ohlendorf, I'd do naked cartwheels in times square.