PDA

View Full Version : Vladimir Guerrero/John Lackey

machphantom
07-12-08, 04:42 PM
I highly doubt Vlad would become avaliable as he has a $15M option coming at the end of the year, but the Angels also have K-Rod leaving as an FA, and Lackey also has a $9M option. One way or another, money is going to have to come off of the books for the Angels. I hope either Lackey or Vlad is the one, cause either one would obviously make a fine and much needed addition to the club.

False1
07-12-08, 04:50 PM
I highly doubt Vlad would become avaliable as he has a $15M option coming at the end of the year, but the Angels also have K-Rod leaving as an FA, and Lackey also has a $9M option. One way or another, money is going to have to come off of the books for the Angels. I hope either Lackey or Vlad is the one, cause either one would obviously make a fine and much needed addition to the club.No way Vlad hits FA. If anything else, they'd do what Cash did with Sheff and pick up the option and trade him. Vlad for 1 year at $15MM is one of the better deals you'll see.

And even if he hit FA, we missed our shot at him. He'd want to many years/too much money. If you believe his birth certificate the dude will be 33 prior to the start of next season.

machphantom
07-12-08, 05:13 PM
No way Vlad hits FA. If anything else, they'd do what Cash did with Sheff and pick up the option and trade him. Vlad for 1 year at $15MM is one of the better deals you'll see.

And even if he hit FA, we missed our shot at him. He'd want to many years/too much money. If you believe his birth certificate the dude will be 33 prior to the start of next season.
I agree with your assesment, but i'm hoping that Lackey becomes avaliable. I know he's 30, but even with depreciated value for age, he would be great to have.

Yankee Tripper
07-12-08, 05:17 PM
Lackey at $9M is dirt cheap when you consider Silva is signed for $10M/per. Unless lackey's arm falls off between now and October there is 0% chance he hits FA.

Plus it isn't like the Angels are exactly a poverty stricken small market team. They can easily exercise the options of both players and might still be players in the FA market, whether that be their own like K-rod or someone else they want to go after.

jeterdaman
07-12-08, 05:38 PM
I agree, they're both pipe dreams. They won't sniff free agency.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-12-08, 07:38 PM
I highly doubt Vlad would become avaliable as he has a $15M option coming at the end of the year, but the Angels also have K-Rod leaving as an FA, and Lackey also has a $9M option. One way or another, money is going to have to come off of the books for the Angels.
Those options are both very good values, and while K-Rod will obviously be expensive, LAA is a team that could certainly pay him. I wouldn't expect any of them to come off their books, and certainly not Vlad or Lackey.

primetime714
07-12-08, 07:41 PM
No point in even talking about those guys for at least another year. They'll both be with the Angels next year.

As for KRod even if he isn't with the Angels he isn't going to be setting up Mo even if it is only for 2 years. Plus we wouldn't pay that much for a setup man anyway.

BillBuckner
07-12-08, 09:36 PM
Why do we need Vlad? We have Gary She... oh, neverminds.

NYYRules#1
07-14-08, 01:57 AM
I'm still mad that Steinbrenner went all-out for Sheffield and basically ignored Vlad in 2003. George had an infatuation with Sheff, even though Vlad would have been the much better signing.

surge511
07-15-08, 04:17 PM
No way any of those Angels end up on the Yankees.

Abe Frohman
08-20-08, 11:26 AM
With Tex in the picture now ... someone on the Angels will become a FA . K-Rod

said he wants 5 / 75 and this is the guy they DEFINITELY cant let go. where would

they be without K-ROD ??? . I think we should go hard after Vlad if he hits the

market.

MissingBillyMartin
08-20-08, 11:31 AM
Probably just KRod. People here really need stop thinking that everyone in the league is out to help the Yankees and everyone wants to play for them. It is not the case. We are not going to get every top priced FA and no one is going to make a mind blowing dumb trade for their top players. In fact I am not sure why everyone wants to spend a ton of money. That has not helped us for the last 8 years.

Kennedy is not going to get Pujols. Stop reaching for the stars.

knickfan23
08-20-08, 11:48 AM
With Tex in the picture now ... someone on the Angels will become a FA . K-Rod said he wants 5 / 75 and this is the guy they DEFINITELY cant let go. where would they be without K-ROD ??? . I think we should go hard after Vlad if he hits the market.

K-Rod's replacement is pitching right now and doing very well. The team has made no secret that if he leaves via free agency, they will plug Mr. Arredondo in as the closer.

knickfan23
08-20-08, 11:51 AM
Lackey at $9M is dirt cheap when you consider Silva is signed for $10M/per. Unless lackey's arm falls off between now and October there is 0% chance he hits FA.

Plus it isn't like the Angels are exactly a poverty stricken small market team. They can easily exercise the options of both players and might still be players in the FA market, whether that be their own like K-rod or someone else they want to go after.

This is correct. Hell, they are paying Gary Matthews Jr. 11 million just to sit on the bench and play once a week.

The LA Angels are not poor. They are a cash cow and making more money with their season tickets, TV and ad revenue right on par with the Red Sox.

montrealer
08-20-08, 12:15 PM
Guys here need to put the Crack pipe down....These two will be Angels next year and we need to remember MLB is not the farm team of the Yankees and believe it or not .....not everybody whom plays in the Majors want to wear pinstripes.

Abe Frohman
08-20-08, 12:20 PM
Guys here need to put the Crack pipe down....These two will be Angels next year and we need to remember MLB is not the farm team of the Yankees and believe it or not .....not everybody whom plays in the Majors want to wear pinstripes.

I agree with you. I dont even know how Vlad would do here in NY. I just hope

Cashman is wise about how he spends all the excess money this offseason.

genius-24
08-20-08, 12:36 PM
lol lackey,

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-20-08, 12:39 PM
I sweat John Lackey, we should do everything to lock this guy up after 09'

primetime714
08-20-08, 05:23 PM
With Tex in the picture now ... someone on the Angels will become a FA . K-Rod

said he wants 5 / 75 and this is the guy they DEFINITELY cant let go. where would

they be without K-ROD ??? . I think we should go hard after Vlad if he hits the

market.

The Angels look like they're shaping up to lose K-Rod. I think they'll only bring back either him or Teixeira and they'd probably prefer Teixeira.

The Angels have always had a good bullpen and have a couple guys that could probably close for them next year if they lose K-Rod. I don't think they want to sign him to a record deal for a reliever which he will get.

KeithF40
08-21-08, 05:16 PM
You have to be a total idiot. There is no way EITHER doesn't get resigned. Cy young guy for 9m and their most potent hitter for 12, cause of the 3m buyout. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Krod is gonna command the most money and they are content with having arredondo as the new closer.

KRod has a 2.75 era and a whip of 1.28, he's not that great this year, just his team can't score runs and he has stud starting pitching in front of him that allows him tons of save opps, has already blown 5 and is def getting some cheap one out saves as well to get him the record, a record that is ridic and holds no merit with me.