PDA

View Full Version : Bonds...Barry Bonds

YankeesMVPDJ2
07-10-08, 07:56 PM
Strictly from a baseball standpoint, I wish the Yankees would just man up and sign the guy... with Matsui and now Damon hurt the Yanks need some offense. Imagine Bonds hitting behind A-Rod, come on now, tell me that would not be nice. I know, I know, he's a steroid popping jerk, supposedly, but from a strictly baseball standpoint, there is no denying he would be a force in the Yanks lineup.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-10-08, 07:57 PM
In before the merge/lock

MunsonNY15
07-10-08, 08:31 PM
IMO, they've "manned up" by not signing him and all his baggage. Bonds is a notorious clubhouse cancer.

Heidi

NYIndian2005
07-10-08, 08:32 PM
When he gets on the yankees he will turn into one of these chokers just like all these guys have.

TheJobaRules
07-10-08, 08:33 PM
When he gets on the yankees he will turn into one of these chokers just like all these guys have.

No faith?

YankeesMVPDJ2
07-10-08, 09:48 PM
IMO, they've "manned up" by not signing him and all his baggage. Bonds is a notorious clubhouse cancer.

Would Bonds really distract Jeter, A-Rod, Posada, Giambi, Abreu, Mussina, Pettitte, Mo, Damon? I seriously doubt it...If anything all the attention he would get would take it away from them.

hatfieldms
07-10-08, 09:52 PM
If MLB will let the Yankees use 2 DH's i am all for it. if not, no thanks

grizy
07-10-08, 10:00 PM
Posada is quite situated in the DH spot with his bum shoulder, no thanks to another DH, especially one with so much baggage.

yankeeman61
07-10-08, 10:09 PM
Not happening no matter how many threads are started on this same topic

continentalg5
07-10-08, 10:15 PM
Yea, while was at Metro Country Club in the Dominican Republic, I decided to check out some of the houses for sale.

While I was there I saw a beautiful house styled like an Tuscan villa. I was invited in by the man who cares for the house, and he told me that Barry Bonds stays there during the summer with his family, and he could not be a ruder guest. The man is a pig and won't even say hello to the man who takes care of him and his family while they are there.

My point is that he is a jerk on and off the field, and the Yankees should not sign him.

On a side note, I met Alfonso Soriano, and Daniel Cabrera on my trip there during the winter as they have homes there. Two really nice guys!

Serge
07-10-08, 10:27 PM
If I were playing MLB 2K8 then absolutely, positively! His stats even last year were tremendous. But, this is real baseball and we do not have any place for him on this team and he is known to not be a good presence in the clubhouse.

I think I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that everyone from the GM on down wants to sign him but all the upper management is too scared.

BroadwayBomber55
07-10-08, 10:29 PM
Can't play on the field, I also heard on FoxSports.com that no team wants to sign Barry Bonds.

brosiusbuddy
07-10-08, 10:36 PM

Heidi

Clubhouse cancer? LoL

That term has been thrown around so much over the years on these boards as if it actually means something. It seems as though every year we have someone who at some point has been labeled "clubhouse cancer" or something to that effect (Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Corey Lidle - rest his soul, Kenny Lofton, El Duque, Raul Mondesi, Jose Canseco, Hideki Irabu, David Wells, Mike Mussina, Arod, even Bobby Abreu was given that label by some before he came over) However, every year with these players we've either won a World Series or at the very least made it to the playoffs all after having a stellar second half.

These are all grown men who are out there first and foremost to do their business. I doubt theres ever been a team that didn't have at least one guy who didn't "fit in" or "get along" with the rest. Barry Bonds' offensive abilities far outweigh his negative attitude. His swing is tailor made for YS and his patience at the plate is the ultimate model of the Yankee offensive strategy. Behind Arod and in front of Giambi, he'd have monster stats and he'd give Arod as much protection as could be asked for.

The people who hate the Yanks hate them already, those who love them love them already. Barry Bonds wouldn't change that. If we win with him we'll get heckled for "buying" a championship but that would happen anyways. If we lose with him, it'll be "Yankees aging veterans fail" but we'd hear all that anyways.

Jorge needs to catch because Molina is a nice backup, but not an everyday hitter. With Melky and Gardner in our everyday lineup and with Christian as our big bat off the bench, I'd take Bonds in a heartbeat.

YankeesMVPDJ2
07-10-08, 11:57 PM
Clubhouse cancer? LoL

That term has been thrown around so much over the years on these boards as if it actually means something. It seems as though every year we have someone who at some point has been labeled "clubhouse cancer" or something to that effect (Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Corey Lidle - rest his soul, Kenny Lofton, El Duque, Raul Mondesi, Jose Canseco, Hideki Irabu, David Wells, Mike Mussina, Arod, even Bobby Abreu was given that label by some before he came over) However, every year with these players we've either won a World Series or at the very least made it to the playoffs all after having a stellar second half.

These are all grown men who are out there first and foremost to do their business. I doubt theres ever been a team that didn't have at least one guy who didn't "fit in" or "get along" with the rest. Barry Bonds' offensive abilities far outweigh his negative attitude. His swing is tailor made for YS and his patience at the plate is the ultimate model of the Yankee offensive strategy. Behind Arod and in front of Giambi, he'd have monster stats and he'd give Arod as much protection as could be asked for.

The people who hate the Yanks hate them already, those who love them love them already. Barry Bonds wouldn't change that. If we win with him we'll get heckled for "buying" a championship but that would happen anyways. If we lose with him, it'll be "Yankees aging veterans fail" but we'd hear all that anyways.

Jorge needs to catch because Molina is a nice backup, but not an everyday hitter. With Melky and Gardner in our everyday lineup and with Christian as our big bat off the bench, I'd take Bonds in a heartbeat.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:00 AM
Clubhouse cancer? LoL

I hope I eat my words..... but, Jorge could be done as a catcher. Groom him for 1B and let Molina catch.

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 12:03 AM
I hope I eat my words..... but, Jorge could be done as a catcher. Groom him for 1B and let Molina catch.
What about Giambi?

Giambi as the DH either means
1. Damon, Matsui or Bobby are bench warmers
2. Our outfield is the defensive equivalent of the Iraqi Navy.

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:07 AM
What about Giambi?

Giambi as the DH either means
2. Our outfield is the defensive equivalent of the Iraqi Navy.

I am saying to groom him this year (mix and match the DH) so he can take over next year when Giambi is gone.

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 12:18 AM
I am saying to groom him this year (mix and match the DH) so he can take over next year when Giambi is gone.
In light of Giambi this year:
Gaimbi >>>> Bonds
especially in 2 years when bonds is what... 46?
JMO

just-blaze
07-11-08, 12:21 AM
Clubhouse cancer? LoL

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You need to email this to Cashman....maybe he'll reconsider and break the "collusion" that might be occurring.

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:23 AM
In light of Giambi this year:
Gaimbi >>>> Bonds
especially in 2 years when bonds is what... 46?
JMO

No... my bad. I meant groom Posada for 1B which means letting Giambi go after this season. I am not choosing Bonds over Giambi in any way.

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 12:25 AM
No... my bad. I meant groom Posada for 1B which means letting Giambi go after this season. I am not choosing Bonds over Giambi in any way.

You want to bring bonds on to bench Giambi?
When Giambi is gone.... you want to keep bonds for DH? why not keep Giambi for that?

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:27 AM
When Giambi is gone.... you want to keep bonds for DH? why not keep Giambi for that?

No, no.... I meant bring in a PH (like Bonds) to take Hawkins spot on the roster this year. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do think Jorge's future is a 1B which is why I believe he might as well be groomed now for it. Sorry, my bad!!

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:30 AM

And, Matsui is our DH in 2009.

BBombers85
07-11-08, 12:33 AM
I guess I'll get outcasted by saying I wouldnt mind Barry. I mean Kanye West made a song with his name!

grizy
07-11-08, 12:36 AM
Basically, we have too many players already needing time on the DH slot, we can't afford to have someone whose only role is on the DH:

Matsui
Giambi
Posada
Damon

The list can only grow with our aging lineup... so why do we want a full time DH in his 40s now?

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 12:38 AM
No, no.... I meant bring in a PH (like Bonds) to take Hawkins spot on the roster this year. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do think Jorge's future is a !B which is why I believe he might as well be groomed now for it. Sorry, my bad!!

Well if you groom Posada for 1st base, you have Giambi as DH. Then you're stuck with the first situation I described at that point-

"Giambi as the DH either means
2. Our outfield is the defensive equivalent of the Iraqi Navy."

Matsui DH + Bobby, Damon, and Giambi playing the field. Offensively, we really don't need another bat unless it comes with a respectable arm in center field

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:39 AM
Basically, we have too many players already needing time on the DH slot, we can't afford to have someone whose only role is on the DH:

Matsui
Giambi
Posada
Damon

Which is why Bonds would be a PH. Matsui might not be back this season, Giambi can play 1B and Damon can play LF when he returns. Rotate the DH between Giambi and Posada. If Matsui becomes healthy one of those two sit with Bonds.

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:41 AM
Well if you groom Posada for 1st base, you have Giambi as DH. Then you're stuck with the first situation I described at that point-

"Giambi as the DH either means
2. Our outfield is the defensive equivalent of the Iraqi Navy."

Matsui DH + Bobby, Damon, and Giambi playing the field. Offensively, we really don't need another bat unless it comes with a respectable arm in center field

Right... but it really sounds like Matsui is done for this year???

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 12:48 AM
I wasn't aware that Matsui was done for the year.

DJ27
07-11-08, 12:52 AM
I wasn't aware that Matsui was done for the year.

Thus the question marks from the various reports you read. I don't want to fight a fellow Yankee fan.

just-blaze
07-11-08, 01:01 AM

Matsui
Giambi
Posada
Damon

The list can only grow with our aging lineup... so why do we want a full time DH in his 40s now?

Because he can probably hit better than all of the aforementioned except maybe Giambi.

Matsui and Damon can play OF
Posada C
Giambi 1b.......push come to shove Bonds could probably play OF.

Either way, I cant see the negatives of having a bench that includes Bonds.

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 01:07 AM
Because he can probably hit better than all of the aforementioned except maybe Giambi.

Matsui and Damon can play OF
Posada C
Giambi 1b.......push come to shove Bonds could probably play OF.

Either way, I cant see the negatives of having a bench that includes Bonds.

Posada can't catch. That's why Molina is catching.

Bonds can't play outfield worth a turd. That's the problem now. We dont' want such a weak outfield of Matsui, Damon and Bobby.

Not to mention, Matsui's knee doesn't need anymore running, jumping or diving.

and what happens to bobby A? He's now the bench warmer.

Only way it's worthwhile is if we get him with the intention of trading Matsui- which isn't going to happen since he's hurt.

brosiusbuddy
07-11-08, 01:13 AM

Matsui
Giambi
Posada
Damon

We can't worry about that now. Matsui and Damon are on the DL and this offense is slumping. We need help now if we're only going to be scoring two runs a game with our current offense. The AL, especially the East, is too good to take our chances. Some action has to be taken to improve the offense and Barry is the most simple one to take. Giambi is doing fine at 1st, and Jorge needs to get behind the plate. Barry would likely only play 3-4 days a week so Jorge would get plenty of chances either to play 1st or DH and rest his shoulder.

We can't really expect Giambi and A-Rod to do much more than they are doing right now as far as supplying power, Jeter could definitely pick it up but that would mean lots of singles, no real power supply. Abreu has been hitting well lately and who knows about Cano. Our offense, for the first time in a long time, is a problem and Cashman needs to do something.

Signing Bonds means he spends likely at least 2 weeks in AAA getting used to live pitches so Jorge can DH and 1B that whole time and hopefully get his shoulder to where he's formidable behind the plate.

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 01:48 AM
Jorge CANT get behind the plate. Do you think he's on DH/1B because it's april fool's day?

grizy
07-11-08, 03:02 AM
Jorge himself said his shoulder is as good as it's gonna get this season. Giraradi apparently thinks it's not good enough for everyday so no, we shouldn't expect Posada behind the plate on a regular basis this season, and probably not next either.

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 03:50 AM
Jorge himself said his shoulder is as good as it's gonna get this season. Giraradi apparently thinks it's not good enough for everyday so no, we shouldn't expect Posada behind the plate on a regular basis this season, and probably not next either.

in that case, get surgery now- get ready for next year, bonds to 1 year contract for DH.

JOBA RULES
07-11-08, 10:23 AM
Bonds in the NY Media...no way no how

webassign
07-11-08, 10:24 AM
Handwave a la Mike Francesa
What has Francesa said on this topic? Anyone know?

Jasbro
07-11-08, 10:29 AM

He's been on vacation lately, but he thinks it's an asinine idea -- and he's absolutely right.

JOBA RULES
07-11-08, 10:41 AM

ah It's a Francesa thing whenever he thinks something is irrelevant or something he doesn't agree with he does a handwave to let the producer know to hang up on the caller...in this case I don't agree with Bonds coming to NY hence the handwave lol

JOBA RULES
07-11-08, 10:45 AM

I'm sure he's not a fan..but we'll find out today HE'S BACKKKKK

webassign
07-11-08, 10:46 AM
He's been on vacation lately, but he thinks it's an asinine idea -- and he's absolutely right.
Did he at least acknowledge the benefits of the signing from a purely baseball perspective?

YESSIR!
07-11-08, 11:00 AM
I guess I'll get outcasted by saying I wouldnt mind Barry. I mean Kanye West made a song with his name!

We outta here bay-bee!

montrealer
07-11-08, 11:17 AM
Another let`s sign Barry Thread?...........Oiy Vey........

Bleacher_Creature
07-11-08, 11:27 AM
Barry Bonds (http://www.newsday.com/topic/sports/barry-bonds-PESPT000685.topic) is not considered an option. Cashman said: "I guess I can say that they have engaged us in the past and I've told them that I have too many people, maybe not too many people with the same ability, but too many people at the same spot that you have a lot of dollars committed to."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spynotes115760066jul11,0,5494840.story?track=rss

No One Wants Bonds (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/no-one-wants-bo.html)
FRIDAY: Just to hammer it home a little further, we have Bonds rejections from the Dodgers (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080710&content_id=3111568&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la&partnerId=rss_la) and Yankees (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spynotes115760066jul11,0,5494840.story?track=rss) today.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Jasbro
07-11-08, 11:31 AM
Did he at least acknowledge the benefits of the signing from a purely baseball perspective?

There is no way to look at any possible benefits of signing Bonds in a vacuum. He's currently in violation of the morals clause of the standard players' agreement. He is unsignable regardless of his offensive prowess.

DontHateOnNumber2
07-11-08, 11:32 AM
If Bonds regrows his mustache, then sure, sign him. He'll easily hit 32 HRs in the month of August. Otherwise move along.

webassign
07-11-08, 11:39 AM
There is no way to look at any possible benefits of signing Bonds in a vacuum. He's currently in violation of the morals clause of the standard players' agreement. He is unsignable regardless of his offensive prowess.
Why am I only hearing this from you? How come no article I've read has said this? They just gloss it over with a blanket term like legal issues, but if this morals clause was such a roadblock, why is no one mentioning it?

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-11-08, 12:48 PM
Why am I only hearing this from you? How come no article I've read has said this? They just gloss it over with a blanket term like legal issues, but if this morals clause was such a roadblock, why is no one mentioning it?
Because it's not the case. Bonds' indictment would allow a team to void his contract due to the morals clause. It wouldn't force a team to do so, just as it hasn't forced the release of countless players over the years who ran afoul of the law while under contract to an mlb team. There is nothing in the standard players contract that would prevent a team from signing a player in Bonds' legal situation.

Hellsing
07-11-08, 12:56 PM
Beware the moral high horse.

He can be signed. Sign him. If management REALLY had a problem with players who have taken PEDs, then the team would be missing a pitcher and a first basemen.

TheInfallibleOne
07-11-08, 01:23 PM
funny thing is that if we sign him: for every HR he hits, it makes it that much harder for arod to break the record, which if pushed too far could irritate the arod contract and slow the revenue in 9 years. if we are to lose matsui and damon for a longer period of time maybe he could help for a FEW weeks, but how bad would we feel if he hits another 10 HR and Arod just barely misses the record due to career ending injury?

MunsonNY15
07-11-08, 01:25 PM
Clubhouse cancer? LoL

You don't like "clubhouse cancer", OK how about "ass who always thinks he's bigger than the team"? While that phrase doesn't describe anyone you listed, it surely describes Bonds.

Yeah, he's a patient lefty who pulls the ball, but sometimes the benefits don't outweigh the cost. IMO, this is one of those times. The fact that not even the most desperate of teams has signed him speaks volumes.

Heidi

webassign
07-11-08, 01:27 PM
Because it's not the case. Bonds' indictment would allow a team to void his contract due to the morals clause. It wouldn't force a team to do so, just as it hasn't forced the release of countless players over the years who ran afoul of the law while under contract to an mlb team. There is nothing in the standard players contract that would prevent a team from signing a player in Bonds' legal situation.
Okay, so Jasbro is just making stuff up then.

funny thing is that if we sign him: for every HR he hits, it makes it that much harder for arod to break the record, which if pushed too far could irritate the arod contract and slow the revenue in 9 years. if we are to lose matsui and damon for a longer period of time maybe he could help for a FEW weeks, but how bad would we feel if he hits another 10 HR and Arod just barely misses the record due to career ending injury?
I don't care about a particular player's personal accomplishments. Just win games.

webassign
07-11-08, 01:32 PM
You don't like "clubhouse cancer", OK how about "ass who always thinks he's bigger than the team"? While that phrase doesn't describe anyone you listed, it surely describes Bonds.

Yeah, he's a patient lefty who pulls the ball, but sometimes the benefits don't outweigh the cost. IMO, this is one of those times.

Heidi
Is it that hard to believe that he couldn't be on his best behavior for half a season like the Sidney Ponson's of the world? Maybe Barry just wants to add that elusive world championship ring to his hand.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-11-08, 01:34 PM
Well then maybe we should sign him and sit him on the bench to prevent someone else from signing him and playing him regularly....

jeterdaman
07-11-08, 01:38 PM

So now we're a team just to protect Arod and get him to the homerun record? The hell with winning, as long as Arod gets his 50 homeruns every year.

webassign
07-11-08, 01:40 PM
FWIW, A-Rod and Barry are good friends. I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a guy with a 1.045 OPS, 170 OPS+, .480 OBP protecting him in the lineup.

Bub
07-11-08, 02:07 PM
Is his hat size still increasing?

MunsonNY15
07-11-08, 02:09 PM
Is it that hard to believe that he couldn't be on his best behavior for half a season like the Sidney Ponson's of the world? Maybe Barry just wants to add that elusive world championship ring to his hand.

It's not about being on your best behavior. Lord knows the Yankees haven't always signed the most upstanding citizens. It's about how the player views himself in relation to the team.

With Britton gone, Sidney Ponson MAY BE bigger than anyone else on the team, but he doesn't think he is bigger than THE team; Bonds does. To me that's the difference between someone like Ponson (who will never be nominated for Citizen of the Year) and Bonds (who has historically put himself above what's best for the team).

Heidi

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-11-08, 02:09 PM
Is his hat size still increasing?
He actually uses a space helmet in the batters box now.

webassign
07-11-08, 02:11 PM
It's not about being on your best behavior. Lord knows the Yankees haven't always signed the most upstanding citizens. It's about how the player views himself in relation to the team.

With Britton gone, Sidney Ponson MAY BE bigger than anyone else on the team, but he doesn't think he is bigger than THE team; Bonds does. To me that's the difference between someone like Ponson (who will never be nominated for Citizen of the Year) and Bonds (who has historically put himself above what's best for the team).

Heidi
What you think and how you act don't always have to be the same.

My point here has always been that you never know unless you try. Especially when the only risk for trying is a few pennies for the Yankees.

TheInfallibleOne
07-11-08, 02:20 PM
So now we're a team just to protect Arod and get him to the homerun record? The hell with winning, as long as Arod gets his 50 homeruns every year.
well, part of arods contract involve the HR record, and by signing bonds we increase the risk of arod not breaking the record, thus drying up future revenue streams for both the team and the player. that clause is a profitable one and its risk vs return was calculated, and I'm sure we don't want to be the cause of an increase in that risk

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-11-08, 02:25 PM
well, part of arods contract involve the HR record, and by signing bonds we increase the risk of arod not breaking the record, thus drying up future revenue streams for both the team and the player. that clause is a profitable one and its risk vs return was calculated, and I'm sure we don't want to be the cause of an increase in that risk
C'mon, be realistic. In 2+ months you really think Bonds is going to hit enough HR's to materially impact A-Rod's chance of reaching the HR record? That doesn't really make any sense. What's he going to hit, 15 HR's if we're lucky? You think that's going to make such a difference that we sell fewer tickets 6 years from now when A-Rod is getting close because he's that little bit farther away? That's hardly likely.

MunsonNY15
07-11-08, 02:27 PM
What you think and how you act don't always have to be the same.

My point here has always been that you never know unless you try. Especially when the only risk for trying is a few pennies for the Yankees.

We can agree to disagree here, but I see the downside of signing Bonds to be more than money lost.

Heidi

yanksfan7788
07-11-08, 02:45 PM
ummm....no!!

buntsalot2
07-11-08, 02:49 PM
actually, Sexson is a sexier choice??:P

webassign
07-11-08, 02:51 PM
We can agree to disagree here, but I see the downside of signing Bonds to be more than money lost.

Heidi
None of which can't be resolved by simply releasing him the next day.

In no uncertain terms do I think that Barry is the greatest human being to ever grace the sport of baseball. But any team that signs him has complete leverage over him. Before they sign him, they just have to tell him that any wrong step and he's getting the boot. I think you could even win the media over if you sell them on the idea that Barry is on a "1 strike and you're out" policy.

Toaderly
07-11-08, 03:04 PM
He actually uses a space helmet in the batters box now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/seffola/darkhelmet.jpg

BillBuckner
07-11-08, 06:27 PM
Did you not see the other 17 threads?

CyYoung4Vazquez
07-11-08, 07:32 PM
I really do not see the problem signing the guy. This offense needs something.

primetime714
07-11-08, 07:59 PM
If Matsui is out this is really a no brainer in my mind. This offense is terrible right now and if they don't get a boost from Matsui returning they need to get it somewhere else.

Posada can play C, Molina is just much better behind the plate and we don't have anyway on the bench that makes it worth our while to start Posada at C. His shoulder is bothering him and he won't be able to throw out many baserunners, but he can still catch well enough that the upgrade to the offense that Barry provides over Molina is much more valuable than the defensive upgrade that Molina provides. If we had someone that made it worthwhile to sit Molina, Posada would be catching now. If Matsui comes back Posada will be behind the plate most of the time, just like he would if we signed Bonds.

primetime714
07-11-08, 07:59 PM
If Matsui is out this is really a no brainer in my mind. This offense is terrible right now and if they don't get a boost from Matsui returning they need to get it somewhere else.

Posada can play C, Molina is just much better behind the plate and we don't have anyway on the bench that makes it worth our while to start Posada at C. His shoulder is bothering him and he won't be able to throw out many baserunners, but he can still catch well enough that the upgrade to the offense that Barry provides over Molina is much more valuable than the defensive upgrade that Molina provides. If we had someone that made it worthwhile to sit Molina, Posada would be catching now. If Matsui comes back Posada will be behind the plate most of the time, just like he would if we signed Bonds.

TheInfallibleOne
07-11-08, 11:30 PM
C'mon, be realistic. In 2+ months you really think Bonds is going to hit enough HR's to materially impact A-Rod's chance of reaching the HR record? That doesn't really make any sense. What's he going to hit, 15 HR's if we're lucky? You think that's going to make such a difference that we sell fewer tickets 6 years from now when A-Rod is getting close because he's that little bit farther away? That's hardly likely.

Like I said, wouldnt we look like fools for giving Bonds the opportunity to hit those ~15 HRs if A-Rod sustains a career ending injury at or around the 762 mark.

webassign
07-12-08, 08:19 AM
Like I said, wouldnt we look like fools for giving Bonds the opportunity to hit those ~15 HRs if A-Rod sustains a career ending injury at or around the 762 mark.
A-Rod could get a career ending injury tomorrow. Your point really doesn't mean anything.

webassign
07-12-08, 08:44 AM
Just spoke to Brian Cashman to get his take on Eric Milton: “Nothing ventured, nothing gained,” he said. “We’ll make an assessment of how he is physically and try and get him going. I have no expectations of whether he can pitch for us this season, either in the majors or minors. But I can’t tell you he won’t.”
Really Cashman? How does that not apply to Bonds then?

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-12-08, 09:36 AM
Sure, there would be some irony there. But you're seriously worried about something that is so extraordinarily improbable? The odds of A-Rod falling short of Bonds due to injury would be pretty much unchanged due to 15 more HR's from Bonds. Not signing him because of the miniscule increase in that probability seems pretty silly if one thinks he could help the team make the post-season.

sweet_lou_14
07-12-08, 09:01 PM
Just thought I'd stop by, like I do with every Barry Bonds thread, to say NO.

JUST SAY NO TO BONDS

yankeeman61
07-13-08, 10:21 AM
If the Yankees can trade Bonds for Rivers and Figueroa, then I'm on board for signing him :P

Damon(MVP)
07-13-08, 04:42 PM
Can we just sign Bonds, anybody to get this team hitting again, he will be the straw that stirs the drink, can you imagine him in the line up.:eek:

just-blaze
07-13-08, 09:43 PM
Posada can't catch. That's why Molina is catching.

Bonds can't play outfield worth a turd. That's the problem now. We dont' want such a weak outfield of Matsui, Damon and Bobby.

Not to mention, Matsui's knee doesn't need anymore running, jumping or diving.

and what happens to bobby A? He's now the bench warmer.

Only way it's worthwhile is if we get him with the intention of trading Matsui- which isn't going to happen since he's hurt.

Caught today's game right?

Matsui isnt much better in the OF than Bonds.

Push come to shove, Bonds is a pinch hitter/platoon player.........really hurts the team?

Bleacher_Creature
07-16-08, 07:04 AM
Matsui surgery could lead Yanks to consider Bonds

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-gen/ap/General_Baseball_News/BBA_Yankees_Matsui.html

webassign
07-16-08, 07:29 AM
Matsui surgery could lead Yanks to consider Bonds

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-gen/ap/General_Baseball_News/BBA_Yankees_Matsui.html
I never want to root against one of our guys, but hell yes!

primetime714
07-16-08, 09:21 AM
With Matsui likely to have surgery and the Yankees needing to make up some ground. I think this move should be done today. Its stupid to wait around to see if Matsui will be able to come back. If he is able to come back you can give him plenty of time to rehab and plenty of days off with Bonds here.

We need help as soon as we can get and according to Barry he'll be ready to go in 10 days, so that means that it will take him at least 10 days. Let's get this done now!!

Don Mattingly
07-16-08, 10:41 AM
With Matsui likely to have surgery and the Yankees needing to make up some ground. I think this move should be done today. Its stupid to wait around to see if Matsui will be able to come back. If he is able to come back you can give him plenty of time to rehab and plenty of days off with Bonds here.

We need help as soon as we can get and according to Barry he'll be ready to go in 10 days, so that means that it will take him at least 10 days. Let's get this done now!!

I agree - I understand Bonds would be a distraction, but we need the offense. Plus he has said he would work for the MLB minimum salary. He can't more than incrementally worse of an OF than Matsui/Damon. This needs to happen this week so he can get some AB's in AAA before joining the team. Winning is the only thing that matters and he would help our struggling offense big time.

effdamets
07-16-08, 10:51 AM
...only because of Matsui's possible surgery, and I never thought I'd say this... but....

PLEASE!!!!

mycroft
07-16-08, 11:30 AM
Strictly from a baseball standpoint, I wish the Yankees would just man up and sign the guy... with Matsui and now Damon hurt the Yanks need some offense. Imagine Bonds hitting behind A-Rod, come on now, tell me that would not be nice. I know, I know, he's a steroid popping jerk, supposedly, but from a strictly baseball standpoint, there is no denying he would be a force in the Yanks lineup.

Just say NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

boog204
07-17-08, 09:30 AM
at this point i say yes... he's a jerk, yes, but he'd give us such a jolt. i don't wanna hear about how he's a roids guy b/c nobody seems to mind that we have giambi or pettitte here or any of the others that passed through. the whole clubhouse chemistry thing at this point is infinitely overrated. what's one more aging, moody star to a clubhouse that's already filled with them?

Bleacher_Creature
07-17-08, 10:34 AM
If we sign him and he stinks or is too much of a distraction then we could just release him. This move would not cost us anything but money. I'd do it.

NYATLCHRIS
07-17-08, 10:43 AM
It's funny how so many of the Yankee fans are against signing Barry Bonds. The majority of us rooted for Sheffield and Giambi who are just as guilty as Bonds. Lets not forget about Pettitte and his HGH. How about Arod and him cheating on his wife several times. Look at over the years the people who have played on this team. Clemens, Wells, Strawberry and Gooden. All of these players had problems out of the game and we all cheered for them. We cant take the moral high road and say dont sign Bonds but then cheer for Giambi when he hits walkoff homeruns against the BlueJays. The big plus in signing Bonds is that we dont have to trade blue chip prospects to get him.

NYATLCHRIS
07-17-08, 10:44 AM
If we sign him and he stinks or is too much of a distraction then we could just release him. This move would not cost us anything but money. I'd do it.

Exactly, plus we dont have to trade quality minor leaguers to get him. I picture Barry being on best behavior if he ever gets back into baseball.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 10:45 AM
Josh Hamilton the crack addict gets cheered by Yankee fans but Bonds the steroid user (alleged) has fans ducking for cover.

DisabledMess
07-17-08, 10:47 AM
Josh Hamilton the crack addict gets cheered by Yankee fans but Bonds the steroid user (alleged) has fans ducking for cover.

I guess because some people feel that steroids is cheating.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 10:48 AM

They had no problems cheering Andy Pettitte on this year. He is a hero to most Yankee fans. But he admitted to it, so he's ok.

Yankee Tripper
07-17-08, 10:49 AM
Yet no one appears to saying that Giambi & Pettitte should both be cut. Maybe there are some who feel that way but I haven't really seen that expressed.

teknetic
07-17-08, 11:13 AM
They had no problems cheering Andy Pettitte on this year. He is a hero to most Yankee fans. But he admitted to it, so he's ok.

I don't think cheating was his intention :dunno:

webassign
07-17-08, 11:15 AM
Healing faster than other players to get back into the game is cheating.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 11:18 AM

It's cheating

What about Giambi? Why should some of the same fans who love Giambi want to kill someone if the Yanks were to sign Bonds?

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 11:19 AM
Yet no one appears to saying that Giambi & Pettitte should both be cut. Maybe there are some who feel that way but I haven't really seen that expressed.

I don't think thinkgs are that black & white (no pun intended). A persons overall character and just as importantly behavior post revelation is really important.

Pettitte and Giambi hav both been incredibly contrite, owned up to their mistakes as much as possible and sought forgiveness in words and actions.

Bonds has arrogantly denied what everyone knows to be true and was a petulent jerk long before and even after the allegations came to light. Look at how people are talking about and treating Clemens now. Don't think too many Yankees fans want Roger back on the team.

All things are not equal, thereby it is reasonable that people have different reactions to the players involved in the steroid debacle.

rajah
07-17-08, 11:19 AM
Do you people really not understand why fans react differently to Giambi, Pettitte, and Hamilton than they do to Bonds?

If Bonds admitted to his past use, apologized for tainting the game, and asked forgiveness, he would have job offers from many teams. Doing so might complicate his legal problems, but that is a different question. Doing so also is inconsistent with the defiant and reportedly surly personality that alienated him from reporters and the fans of teams other than the Giants. Those other guys all have very different personalities.

In my opinion, and I am sure in the opinion of Bonds, race is also a factor for some fans, though this does not include any who post here, I am sure. Some who do not post here may be especially offended by defiance from a black man. But even so, a contrite enough apology could rehabilitate the man. People love redemption; I know I do. Anyway, it is not going to happen with Bonds and any team that signs him is more certain to suffer in fan reaction than Bonds at this point is likely to produce.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 11:23 AM
I don't care if Bonds is purple, he is a player that I want to be on the team I root for in order for them to win the WS.

Giambi gets credit for owning up to his steroids use when he never actually owned up to it.

Yankee Tripper
07-17-08, 11:25 AM
I don't think thinkgs are that black & white (no pun intended). A persons overall character and just as importantly behavior post revelation is really important.

Pettitte and Giambi hav both been incredibly contrite, owned up to their mistakes as much as possible and sought forgiveness in words and actions.

Bonds has arrogantly denied what everyone knows to be true and was a petulent jerk long before and even after the allegations came to light. Look at how people are talking about and treating Clemens now. Don't think too many Yankees fans want Roger back on the team.

All things are not equal, thereby it is reasonable that people have different reactions to the players involved in the steroid debacle.
I understand that but niether Pettitte nor Giambi are currently under federal inditement. Even if Bonds wants to come out say "Oops my bad sorry guys shouldn't have done that." he can't becuase it will be used in his case against him. I have no idea if would do this given the chance or if he would take the Clemens route and categorically still profess his his innocense in the face of overwhelming circumstantial evidence.

I understand Barry has more than a few personal flaws. I don't want him for Mr. Congeniality. I want him to help the Yankees win games.

Am I happy about what he has done in the past? No.
Do I think he's being unfairly singled out? Yes.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 11:25 AM
I don't care if Bonds is purple, he is a player that I want to be on the team I root for in order for them to win the WS.

Giambi gets credit for owning up to his steroids use when he never actually owned up to it.

Giambi would have been committing legal suicide if he opened up directly. He did the best he could in the circumstances and no one has any doubt as to what he was talking about. I think it is unfair to ding him just becasue he didn't say the word "steroids".

TheJobaRules
07-17-08, 11:26 AM

Just a point on the side, I really, really hope that any future athlete that is being accused of PED use stops worrying about their legacy and just admits it right away. It actually HELPS their image, and avoids any chances of them coming up to Washington all high and mighty and perjuring themselves.

Unless of course an accused athlete is really being wrongly accused, which is another story in itself. But looking at how dumb Clemens has handled everything, and how stubborn Barry has been in the face of a government investigation that has already revealed a failed drug test with the name "Barry B." on it in 2000, it really makes no sense to go to jail for a trivial legacy. What you do on a baseball field shouldn't define who you are as a person.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 11:32 AM
I understand that but niether Pettitte nor Giambi are currently under federal inditement. Even if Bonds wants to come out say "Oops my bad sorry guys shouldn't have done that." he can't becuase it will be used in his case against him. I have no idea if would do this given the chance or if he would take the Clemens route and categorically still profess his his innocense in the face of overwhelming circumstantial evidence.

I understand Barry has more than a few personal flaws. I don't want him for Mr. Congeniality. I want him to help the Yankees win games.

Am I happy about what he has done in the past? No.
Do I think he's being unfairly singled out? Yes.

Separate issues in my opinion.

One, is he taking monumental and possibly disproportionate grief for his alleged transgressions? Maybe but the guy is a huge jerk, lied to the feds, cheated on his taxes and is the most visible of the users since he broke the biggest record in sports. I think he is more or less reaping what he sowed.

Two - Could I live with him as a Yankee for what he would bring to them team? Maybe but I disliked the guy long before the steroids thing heated up. He is clearly an arrogrant bastard with no redeeming qualities that don't involve baseball. It would be very hard to feel good about winning a title with that kind of guy on the team. Personally I would feel like a hypocrite. It's tough, because I love the Yankees and want them to win, but would really prefer not to feel so conflicted.

webassign
07-17-08, 11:37 AM
He is clearly an arrogrant bastard with no redeeming qualities that don't involve baseball.
That's the only thing that matters. The man hits a ball with a piece of wood for a living for petes sake. Let him do it while we reap the benefits. I'll root for any scumbag with almost a .500 OBP and over 1.000 OPS.

Yankee Tripper
07-17-08, 11:40 AM
Two - Could I live with him as a Yankee for what he would bring to them team? Maybe but I disliked the guy long before the steroids thing heated up. He is clearly an arrogrant bastard with no redeeming qualities that don't involve baseball. It would be very hard to feel good about winning a title with that kind of guy on the team. Personally I would feel like a hypocrite. It's tough, because I love the Yankees and want them to win, but would really prefer not to feel so conflicted.

I have similar feelings on the guy. As for no redeeming qualities, that's a bit harsh - he was always very active in charitable giving but always did it very quitely - otherwise I agree mostly with what you say.

Snatch Catch
07-17-08, 11:47 AM
HOOOOO-BOY!

http://www.mlbnewsonline.com/2008/07/source-bonds-yankees-deal-imminent.html

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 11:49 AM
HOOOOO-BOY!

How credible is this source????

webassign
07-17-08, 11:49 AM
HOOOOO-BOY!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

thank goodness

now this could be complete BS, but if there's any kind of truth to it, I would be really happy.

CyYoung4Vazquez
07-17-08, 11:50 AM
Wow. If he's in good shape. Wow.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 11:52 AM
This makes me so damn happy if true.

ShaneTravis
07-17-08, 11:52 AM
On board with this.

wej5541
07-17-08, 11:55 AM
I'm not thrilled, but I'm not strongly against this. I'm much more supportive of Giambi and Pettite since they at least admitted the obvious.

YanksFanTillDeath
07-17-08, 12:11 PM
that article is bull

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 12:12 PM
Looks like the debate may be moving from the theoretical into the realm of reality. Wow are the Sawx fans going to have a conniption if this turns out to be true.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 12:15 PM
I have similar feelings on the guy. As for no redeeming qualities, that's a bit harsh - he was always very active in charitable giving but always did it very quitely - otherwise I agree mostly with what you say.

Touche it may be a bit harsh as I know little of his private life. However it appears he cheated on his wife and taxes and been abusive and dismissive to his "friends" according to much of what has been written.

YASS
07-17-08, 12:17 PM
Looks like the debate may be moving from the theoretical into the realm of reality. Wow are the Sawx fans going to have a conniption if this turns out to be true.
Are they?

I've never had a conniption before. What should I expect? Will it hurt?

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 12:24 PM
Are they?

I've never had a conniption before. What should I expect? Will it hurt?

You don't see your compadres going ballistic with the usual evil empire, cheaters and the other typical vitiol but ratchetded up a notch thanks to the Bonds gas being poured on the fire? Come on.

teknetic
07-17-08, 12:26 PM
Healing faster than other players to get back into the game is cheating.

Except it wasn't illegal, I guess you can twist it how you want.

R.V.47
07-17-08, 12:28 PM

I think most of them will be rolling on the floor laughing if this is true. How desperate are we, Sidney Ponson...maybe Richie Sexson and now Bonds.

mitch300
07-17-08, 12:29 PM
HOOOOO-BOY!

Cashman was on the Kellerman and Kenny show this morning and said the Yanks have no interest in Bonds. But, are thinking about signing Sexton.

Yankee Tripper
07-17-08, 12:31 PM
Touche it may be a bit harsh as I know little of his private life. However it appears he cheated on his wife and taxes and been abusive and dismissive to his "friends" according to much of what has been written.
Yeah I admit he has a lot of failings outside of baseball but I don't think he is quite as bit a jerk as the media makes him out be. Mind you I don't think he's a saint or anything either and mostly agree he's a cantancerous, self-centered S-O-B and reaction from ex-teammates is mixed. Some think he is one of the greatest teamates they've ever had, others think he's a popmus ass who got special treatment and didn't like him.

I've heard at least two ex-players (F.P. Santangelo (sp) and another whose name escapes me) both say in radio interviews that Barry Bonds was the best hitting coach they ever had. Full disclosure FP was in the Mitchell report and cameout and admitted steriod use when he was trying to stay in BB near the end of his career.

teknetic
07-17-08, 12:38 PM
Cashman was on the Kellerman and Kenny show this morning and said the Yanks have no interest in Bonds. But, are thinking about signing Sexton.

Zero chance he's even remotely serious about Sexson.

Brick Tamland
07-17-08, 12:42 PM
Bonds is a better option than Sexson. I hope there is no truth to either rumor. Unless they sign one of them and they come to the bronx and play well. In that case I reserve the right to pull a 180.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 12:47 PM

That almost makes me believe the Bonds thing more as I wouldn't expect Cash to show his real hand publicly and Sexson sounds like a huge red herring.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 01:39 PM
That almost makes me believe the Bonds thing more as I wouldn't expect Cash to show his real hand publicly and Sexson sounds like a huge red herring.

Or I could be completely wrong

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493648

teknetic
07-17-08, 01:49 PM
Zero chance he's even remotely serious about Sexson.

...so I'm an idiot.

R.V.47
07-18-08, 07:57 AM
I read in the Daily News this morning that the yankees were actually aware of the internet rumors yesterday about Bonds and moved to quickly silence them.

ajra21
07-18-08, 07:58 AM
I read in the Daily News this morning that the yankees were actually aware of the internet rumors yesterday about Bonds and moved to quickly silence them.

you've got to. any club knows how stupid it would be to sign this guy.

webassign
08-11-08, 08:02 PM
Melky > Bonds

every time Melky is batting instead of Barry Bonds, I die on the inside a little.

primetime714
08-11-08, 08:14 PM
Melky > Bonds

every time Melky is batting instead of Barry Bonds, I die on the inside a little.

Matsui is coming back and we have Nady now, so forget Bonds if it didn't happen before the Nady trade when we thought Matsui was going to be out for the year its certainly not going to happen now.

Someone does need to tell Girardi that against left handed pitching good lefties are still better than bad righties. There is no reason to sit Damon and Giambi. Either start Damon in CF and Giambi at DH with Sexson at 1B or start Christian in CF and DH Damon with Giambi at 1B.

A lineup that includes Melky, Christian, and Sexson is just terrible.

Eldee5
08-11-08, 08:21 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/news.aspx?id=4170981

Yet when Bonds returned to the spotlight on Saturday, making somewhat of a surprise appearance at San Francisco's AT&T Park in a ceremony honoring past Giants' outfielders, he remained without a job.

Though Bonds' appearance was rumored, but never confirmed, it seemed likely that baseball's all-time home run leader would show. After all, San Francisco is still one, and perhaps the only, city that hasn't turned its back on him amid allegations of steroid use, recent perjury and obstruction of justice charges and the public's overall bitterness towards baseball.

For one day, all of that was forgotten as Bonds stood on the same field as his godfather, Willie Mays, and addressed the crowd.

"I want to thank the Giants for inviting all these great guys. It's weird for me not to be in uniform with the Dodgers right there. You heard me (Dodgers manager Joe) Torre, I beat you before and I can beat you again," Bonds told a roaring crowd.
Huh?

Just go away, Barry.

continentalg5
08-11-08, 08:39 PM
Such disrespect to Torre.

TheJobaRules
08-11-08, 09:44 PM
lol I didn't know he enjoyed taking 1 game in 02 and 2 of 3 from the Yanks in 07 that much.

TEPLimey
08-12-08, 05:03 PM
The Yankees had a chance to sell their souls for a great shot to make the playoffs this season. They chose not to sign Bonds. I understand the reasoning behind their decision, but it was not the one I would have made.

montrealer
08-12-08, 05:36 PM
The Yankees had a chance to sell their souls for a great shot to make the playoffs this season. They chose not to sign Bonds. I understand the reasoning behind their decision, but it was not the one I would have made.
Guess we`ll see each other in Hell.....;)

yankeeman61
08-12-08, 05:41 PM
Bonds....Bail Bonds

ppa79
08-13-08, 03:02 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/news.aspx?id=4170981

Huh?

Just go away, Barry.

What's he talking about? Some regular season games.

montrealer
08-13-08, 03:46 PM
What's he talking about? Some regular season games.
pirates -Cards era in the early 90`s