PDA

View Full Version : Brian Giles?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 09:36 AM
Pros
- .301 BA, .394 OBP, .433 SLG in a HUGE park
- Cash and Towers have a good relationship
- San Diego is in dead last place by 9 games
- He's pushing 40, which should make him cheaper than a Bay, Holliday, Guillen, or even Nady
- His option is only for 9 mill next year
- He is better than Abreu at pretty much everything
- 3 mill buyout Towers may not like
- Could get us picks if we decline the option

Cons
-He is a type A if San Diego turns down his option, so they may want a first round type player.
-Very old
-Very likely to accept Arbitration should the Yankees chose to go a different direction after this season.

According to RF and ZR he's still a very good OFer, but I haven't seen him play in a while and don't know if those stat tells the whole story. Anybody know if he's still good out there?

27IsNext
07-10-08, 09:47 AM
He doesn't want to play here. He made that quite clear the last time we chased him when he was a free agent.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 09:51 AM
He doesn't want to play here. He made that quite clear the last time we chased him when he was a free agent. This time it isn't his choice.

What did he say anyway? I don't remember him saying he didn't want to play here.

JL25and3
07-10-08, 09:57 AM
This time it isn't his choice.It might be. He's got a partial no-trade clause that allows him to block trades to 8 teams.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/san-diego-padres.html

Zimmer's Helmet
07-10-08, 09:57 AM
No thanks.
1) His skills have seriously diminished.
2) He's too old
3) He's not worth the money he's making
4) He doesn't want to play on the East Coast.

Where is the upside?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 09:58 AM
It might be. He's got a partial no-trade clause that allows him to block trades to 8 teams.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/san-diego-padres.html
hmmm. Ok that might be a speed bump. I wonder who the teams are.

johnnyyankee
07-10-08, 10:00 AM
We have enough old and gimpy outfielders.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2179

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 10:01 AM
No thanks.
1) His skills have seriously diminished.
2) He's too old
3) He's not worth the money he's making
4) He doesn't want to play on the East Coast.

Where is the upside?
301 .394 .433 overall
.331 .412 .466 away from Petco

There is your upside.

1) Who cares if his skills have diminished. Obviously he's capable of the above numbers.
2) Too old for what? Its not like we're trying to build the team around him for years to come, he'd just be a stop gap for a few months.
3) .301, .394, .433 isn't worth 9 mill when we are paying Abreu 16??
4) So?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 10:02 AM
We have enough old and gimpy outfielders.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2179
So trade for him after the all star break;)

Zimmer's Helmet
07-10-08, 10:17 AM
1) Who cares if his skills have diminished. Obviously he's capable of the above numbers. The last thing in the world that the Yankees need is another aging, slow footed, overpaid hitter. We have plenty of those already.

2) Too old for what? Its not like we're trying to build the team around him for years to come, he'd just be a stop gap for a few months.
Again, what need does he fill on this roster? When Damon comes back the outfield will already be overcrowded. Posada looks to be a semi-regular DH from here on in. If Matsui comes back, the DH slot will be overcrowded as well.

3) .301, .394, .433 isn't worth 9 mill when we are paying Abreu 16??
Two wrongs don't make a right. Abreu certainly isn't giving us the production we should be getting for $16 million a year.

4) So?
So? Basically, we're looking at a guy who doesn't fill a need on this roster, makes more money than he's worth; and doesn't want to play here. I think all of these reasons are valid enough for me not to want him; especially when there are greater needs that Cashman needs to address.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 10:24 AM
The last thing in the world that the Yankees need is another aging, slow footed, overpaid hitter. We have plenty of those already.

Again, what need does he fill on this roster? When Damon comes back the outfield will already be overcrowded. Posada looks to be a semi-regular DH from here on in. If Matsui comes back, the DH slot will be overcrowded as well.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Abreu certainly isn't giving us the production we should be getting for $16 million a year.

So? Basically, we're looking at a guy who doesn't fill a need on this roster, makes more money than he's worth; and doesn't want to play here. I think all of these reasons are valid enough for me not to want him; especially when there are greater needs that Cashman needs to address.

1) No outfield with Melky Cabrera in it is "overcrowded"
2) He isn't overpaid. 9 mil is a bargain for the numbers he's putting up. In fact the low market team he plays for will likely not trade him because he is such a bargain. So stop saying he is overpaid when he clearly isn't.

So the aging doesn't matter because he'll only be here a few months, the not wanting to play here wouldn't matter if the trade was made because he'd be here either way, the overpaid notion is completely bogus, and the no room for him argument doesn't hold water because he's better than Abreu and Melky isn't a major leaguer. Did I miss anything?

JeffWeaverFan
07-10-08, 10:38 AM
The last thing in the world that the Yankees need is another aging, slow footed, overpaid hitter. We have plenty of those already.
That would be true if the hitter wasn't a .400 OBP type of guy. The thing missing from this team is their collective OBP's, and Giles would be a huge improvement in that regard. If Matsui isn't coming back, and it wouldn't cost much prospect-wise, I see no reason why we shouldn't go after him as all he would do is seriously improve the offense, which needs big improvements.

Zimmer's Helmet
07-10-08, 10:41 AM
2) He isn't overpaid. 9 mil is a bargain for the numbers he's putting up. In fact the low market team he plays for will likely not trade him because he is such a bargain. So stop saying he is overpaid when he clearly isn't.

So the aging doesn't matter because he'll only be here a few months, the not wanting to play here wouldn't matter if the trade was made because he'd be here either way, the overpaid notion is completely bogus, and the no room for him argument doesn't hold water because he's better than Abreu and Melky isn't a major leaguer. Did I miss anything?

I tried to make my points based on logic and common sense; unfortunately you refuse to acknowledge any of them.

Based on your above post; what is your suggestion then? Giles is better than Abreu? I strongly disagree, but fine; what do they do with Abreu? Bench him while paying him $16 million a year?

Melky isn't a major leaguer? Again, I'll play along and ask : who plays CF? Damon? Abreu? Giles? Neither or those players is anywhere near capable of playing that position without serious hurting this ballclub.

Gardner and Cabrera are the only legitimate candidates to play CF; which leaves Damon, Abreu and Giles with only two available OF positions.

Please enlighten me on how Giles would fit in and what need he fills on this roster. You have yet to explain how this would work.

Zimmer's Helmet
07-10-08, 10:46 AM
That would be true if the hitter wasn't a .400 OBP type of guy. The thing missing from this team is their collective OBP's, and Giles would be a huge improvement in that regard. If Matsui isn't coming back, and it wouldn't cost much prospect-wise, I see no reason why we shouldn't go after him as all he would do is seriously improve the offense, which needs big improvements.

I would agree if the .400 OBP hitter in question could play a solid CF and had some speed. In Giles' case, he doesn't fit in anywhere in the outfield and the DH position is already saturated with candidates.

False1
07-10-08, 10:47 AM

So the aging doesn't matter because he'll only be here a few months, the not wanting to play here wouldn't matter if the trade was made because he'd be here either way, the overpaid notion is completely bogus, and the no room for him argument doesn't hold water because he's better than Abreu and Melky isn't a major leaguer. Did I miss anything?Interesting, would be interesting to look into price and the NTC. Giles has played 300 games in CF in his career. Does he have the ability to play there now for a few months without a massive fall off in defense?

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-10-08, 10:55 AM

Since Giles won't in any way allow us to take Cabrera out of CF, that's hardly relevant and ZH's point remains. Unless Matsui and Damon will be out an extended period of time (possible, but at this point that's not yet established), with Giles we'd have 4 corner outfielders. Add in Posada, and between corner OF and DH, we'd have an enormous logjam. Obviously Giles makes no sense at all unless we're going to move someone else. And if Giles is as attractive as you suggest he is, why would any team acquire one of our guys when they could just acquire him from SD instead?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 11:08 AM
I tried to make my points based on logic and common sense; unfortunately you refuse to acknowledge any of them.

Based on your above post; what is your suggestion then? Giles is better than Abreu? I strongly disagree, but fine; what do they do with Abreu? Bench him while paying him $16 million a year?

Melky isn't a major leaguer? Again, I'll play along and ask : who plays CF? Damon? Abreu? Giles? Neither or those players is anywhere near capable of playing that position without serious hurting this ballclub.

Gardner and Cabrera are the only legitimate candidates to play CF; which leaves Damon, Abreu and Giles with only two available OF positions.

Please enlighten me on how Giles would fit in and what need he fills on this roster. You have yet to explain how this would work.

In terms of runs, is the difference between Giles and Melky offensively greater than the difference between Melky and Damon defensively? I think so.

Either way Abreu could be moved if necessary. He has a no trade clause, but if you told him he wasn't going to play I'm sure he'd gladly waive it.

shadyridr
07-10-08, 11:21 AM
not another lefty please

CommerceComet
07-10-08, 11:21 AM
Interesting, would be interesting to look into price and the NTC. Giles has played 300 games in CF in his career. Does he have the ability to play there now for a few months without a massive fall off in defense?He's played CF 22 times since 2004. Those numbers suggest that Giles probably isn't even a decent CF anymore.

Even on his best days, Giles didn't have great speed or great throwing arm so he was pretty much a LF. With Matsui and Damon already there, Giles is pretty redundant unless one or both is much more hurt than has been let on.

I would still like to have Giles' bat in our lineup. At one point, I really wanted Giles in pinstripes but those days have passed. If the Yankees are going to pick up OF help, it has to be someone who can play CF adequately. I don't think Giles qualifies even if he would come here (which is highly unlikely).

Hellsing
07-10-08, 11:23 AM
Maybe if he goes back on the juice.

R.V.47
07-10-08, 12:26 PM
Giles doesnt fill any of our needs.

teknetic
07-10-08, 12:28 PM
Pros
- He is better than Abreu at pretty much everything

Didn't take long for the love affair with Abreu (for some) to end. I can imagine a 37 year old easily solving all of our problems with Bobby. I'll make a daring and bold prediction and say that this thread will be nowhere to be found come September.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-10-08, 12:29 PM
Giles would be a great pickup but I'm pretty sure he would block a trade here.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-10-08, 01:08 PM
Didn't take long for the love affair with Abreu (for some) to end. I can imagine a 37 year old easily solving all of our problems with Bobby. I'll make a daring and bold prediction and say that this thread will be nowhere to be found come September.
Very bold prediction considering the trade deadline is July 31st.

teknetic
07-10-08, 01:20 PM
Very bold prediction considering the trade deadline is July 31st.

It was just my way of saying Abreu's numbers at the end of the season will make threads like this a moot point. In case you missed it, a 37 year old isn't the answer.

The Comic Book Guy
07-23-08, 03:06 PM
Now that it looks like Posada may be done for the year, I think this is an option worth revisiting. If he doesn't cost too much, I think Giles is someone worth looking at to stabilize the bottom of the lineup.

His limited NTC includes Boston, Baltimore, Detroit, Washington, and 4 low-revenue clubs. If the Padres are willing to deal him for some c-level prospects, I think it's a move Cash should consider.

effdamets
07-25-08, 11:19 AM
Giles is a 5 and 10 guy.
He does not want to play in the east.
He's made that perfectly clear over the last several seasons.

pleasepassthesoup
07-25-08, 11:57 AM
Giles is a 5 and 10 guy.
He does not want to play in the east.
He's made that perfectly clear over the last several seasons.

Actually, he was traded to SD after the deadline in '03. He still has about a month until he becomes a 5-10 guy (8/27). He does, however, have the ability to block a trade to 8 teams. I'm not sure whether or not the Yankees are on that list.