PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article: Hal Steinbrenner "disappointed" in Yankees

yankeeman61
07-09-08, 08:05 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere so if it is mods please close. Not sure if this belongs in ITL.

Misleading headline from NESPN, but Hal had some interesting things to say

Hal Steinbrenner emerged from a closed-door meeting in manager Joe Girardi (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4296)'s office Wednesday to say he was disappointed in the New York Yankees (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=nyy)' performance this year yet reluctant to trade prospects for veterans in hopes of a spark.

"The young pitchers at the beginning of year," he said, "it was upsetting at times. It wasn't what we thought. It didn't go exactly the way we thought it would go. But, you know, that's the way it is. We're highly confident in Kennedy and Hughes and that they're going to come back strong when they do come back."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=3480345

Ynkcpt23
07-09-08, 08:08 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere so if it is mods please close. Not sure if this belongs in ITL.

Misleading headline from NESPN, but Hal some interesting things to say

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=3480345

Typical Hank.

Hank: Dammit we suck. What the hell's wrong with this group of f****** overrated pieces of s***? We still can't believe the 21 and 23 year old weren't ready to pitch like Koufax and Gibson...grumblegrumblegrumble. But we're not going to trade any of them for a veteran. F***.

Cash: OK. (Returns to reading magazine)

yankeeman61
07-09-08, 08:14 PM
Typical Hank.

Hank: Dammit we suck. What the hell's wrong with this group of f****** overrated pieces of s***? We still can't believe the 21 and 23 year old weren't ready to pitch like Koufax and Gibson...grumblegrumblegrumble. But we're not going to trade any of them for a veteran. F***.

:lol: I'll bet Cashman thought it was Hank, too.

AcidLake
07-09-08, 08:17 PM
Hell, if I had $200+ million team going 7 games above .500, I'd probably shoot someone... paraphrasing David Wells

Retire21
07-09-08, 08:19 PM
I like Hal. He is the voice of reason to Hank's bluster- though I like Hank and his bluster, too. While some of Hank's hot air is comical, I have yet to disagree with anything he has said.

ArodMVP217
07-09-08, 08:20 PM
Don't forget the best quote of teh whole article:

"This is New York, and the fans deserve a team with marquee players," Steinbrenner said. "Where we want to end up is a tremendous mix of young talent and veterans. And the veterans, the free agents, they cost money. And we realize that. We are going to have a lot of money come off the payroll, and that's going to give us some options. But believe me, we're going to use a good portion of it to get this city the team it deserves."

I think this article is posted in anoth thread, too

Rastven
07-09-08, 08:23 PM
Typical Hank.

Except it was Hal making the comments not Hank.

yankeeman61
07-09-08, 08:30 PM
Except it was Hal making the comments not Hank.

Forget it. He's on a roll.

WashingtonYankee
07-09-08, 08:58 PM
I :ga-ga: Hank!

Sam18
07-09-08, 08:59 PM
Sigh ^^

TheJobaRules
07-09-08, 09:00 PM
This four game winning streak probably saved their season, that shows me that they still can make the playoffs. I'd say I was more "disappointed" when they were 42-43 at last year's all-star break. Nothing really showed me that they could win big must-win games that could decide their season.

Come September they will be facing those same must-win situations, and hopefully they can look back on this little stretch and realize they can do this. Tampa Bay and Boston aren't the 98 Yanks, and this Yankees team isn't the 1990 Yankees. They can definitley jump over either Tampa or Boston and grab a WC.

Ynkcpt23
07-09-08, 09:06 PM
Forget it. He's on a roll.

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Yeah, sorry, should have obviously reread my post. Still, I brought some funny right??

TheBamTino24
07-09-08, 09:08 PM
Who isn't disappointed in this team? Oddly enough, our questionable veterans have been outstanding (Mussina, Giambi, Damon, & Matsui) while our key young players have been disasters (Hughes, Kennedy, Cano, Cabrera, Duncan).

The recent 4-game win streak against Boston & Tampa Bay may have saved this season since they are the leaders for the Wild Card & AL East, and each game is a 2-game swing in the standings.

PinstripePride
07-09-08, 09:15 PM
Sigh ^^

Hahahahahahahaha :lol:

ThePinStripes
07-09-08, 09:20 PM
This four game winning streak probably saved their season, that shows me that they still can make the playoffs. I'd say I was more "disappointed" when they were 42-43 at last year's all-star break. Nothing really showed me that they could win big must-win games that could decide their season.

Come September they will be facing those same must-win situations, and hopefully they can look back on this little stretch and realize they can do this. Tampa Bay and Boston aren't the 98 Yanks, and this Yankees team isn't the 1990 Yankees. They can definitley jump over either Tampa or Boston and grab a WC.

Tampa will fall. I'm not worried about it. As far as I'm concerned, we're 4.5 games out of the lead. Beckett hasn't been dominant (mediocre at best) which makes me feel even better about the season. When Matsui and Damon are back, we'll be just fine.

Also, with all the trading pieces we have (Gardner, Christian, Melky, Giese, Robertson, LaTroy (:lol: ), IPK, Sid..... it wouldn't surprise me if we got a real solid pitcher before the trade deadline.

yeah yeah yeah, the sky is falling.

CalYankeeFan
07-09-08, 09:28 PM
"We try to get an idea of what it is they'd want and try to get an idea of just what our chances would be to sign any one of those players for a long-term deal," he said. "We just felt it wasn't best for the organization to do anything with those two at this point."

.....at this point

Wait until the season is over - I'll be surprised if we don't have at least one of Sheets, Sabathia or Harden (not sure if he's a FA) when all it will cost is some $$$$.

R.V.47
07-09-08, 09:30 PM
Its not often that Hal speaks but he has every right to be disapointed with this team.

CalYankeeFan
07-09-08, 09:37 PM
Its not often that Hal speaks but he has every right to be disapointed with this team.

I think we all do - and I also think the players know it and are disappointed as well. But they haven't given up - and to win these 2 games means a lot - especially in the way they did it.

oneill96
07-09-08, 09:51 PM
Given the amount of injuries they've had, I'm surprised where they are.... I think Girardi has done a pretty good job. And Hank's comment on the young talent is really inspiring.

Ynkcpt23
07-09-08, 09:57 PM
I think we all do - and I also think the players know it and are disappointed as well. But they haven't given up - and to win these 2 games means a lot - especially in the way they did it.

I agree. The past four games have restored my hope for this season. We have had a good mix of decent hitting, good pitching and excellent relief work. Let me repeat that part: EXCELLENT relief pitching. If we can get even decent starts or better, quality starts, this team is going to be tough down the stretch.

We're all disappointed. With some different luck with injuries we'd be in first or second, within a couple of games or so. We're not out of this by any means, however, and we can only get healthier.

Serge
07-09-08, 10:22 PM
I don't think he said anything groundbreaking. Hal is disappointed and plans on spending a ton of money this off-season.

yankeeman61
07-09-08, 10:31 PM
Who isn't disappointed in this team? Oddly enough, our questionable veterans have been outstanding (Mussina, Giambi, Damon, & Matsui) while our key young players have been disasters (Hughes, Kennedy, Cano, Cabrera, Duncan).

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today. So much for the pre-season tea leaves we were all so sure of. Baseball remains a crazy, unpredictable game. Who would have thought we would be getting something out of Dan Geise and thankful for Sidney Ponson? Who the hell is Justin Christian? Who knew Veras would become a solid reliever? It's crazy, I tell you.

yankeeman61
07-09-08, 10:32 PM
The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Yeah, sorry, should have obviously reread my post. Still, I brought some funny right??

No doubt about it ;)

BRNXBMRS
07-10-08, 08:26 AM
Wow, the owner of the team is disappointed in his teams performance, who isnt? Slow day for NESPN, lets make a story out of nothing.

kan_t
07-10-08, 01:16 PM
It shows that they are still high on our young products, which is a good thing.