PDA

View Full Version : Brian Fuentes

Yankeeah
07-09-08, 01:51 PM
Colorado lefty reliever Brian Fuentes has drawn interest from the Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, among other teams, according to an official from another American League team. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not directly involved, said the Rockies have scouted the Yankees system; one player of interest could be Double-A reliever Mark Melancon.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/07/fuentes_on_yankees_radar_bosox.html

Fuentes for Melancon? Fuentes could be a good set-up man, and Melancon isn't going to be on the ML roster this year (Cash's words).

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-09-08, 01:54 PM

Fuentes for Melancon? Fuentes could be a good set-up man, and Melancon isn't going to be on the ML roster this year (Cash's words).

I'd really, really hate that.

wang+cano=future
07-09-08, 02:04 PM

Fuentes will be a FA after this year as well. I would say there is no way the Yanks give up Melancon for a 1/2 season of Fuentes (if they don't re-sign him). They like Melancon's arm too much.

Serge
07-09-08, 02:16 PM
The bullpen has been good this year, why not just wait for the off season?

dont_ya_know24
07-09-08, 02:34 PM
The bullpen has been good this year, why not just wait for the off season?

the picks would be awesome.

give 'em mccutchen +

teknetic
07-09-08, 02:45 PM
Melancon? they can go buzz off.

NelsonMuntz
07-09-08, 03:33 PM
If we're going to trade for a reliever I'd rather it be Marte. He'd cost less (I assume) and his numbers are actually better than Fuentes' this year.

MattUNC2003
07-09-08, 03:49 PM
If we're going to trade for a reliever I'd rather it be Marte. He'd cost less (I assume) and his numbers are actually better than Fuentes' this year.

If his numbers are better, then he'd be more expensive because he's having a better year.

Fuentes is, historically, a better pitcher than Marte.

Marte isn't going anywhere for any price that we as fans would be willing to accept. The Pirates wanted people like Matt LaPorta this offseason when teams inquired about trading for Marte. No way in hell you trade talent like LaPorta for Marte.

Please, please, please get off of the Damaso Marte bandwagon. He's not good enough for the talent required to trade for him.

NelsonMuntz
07-09-08, 04:27 PM
If his numbers are better, then he'd be more expensive because he's having a better year.

Fuentes is, historically, a better pitcher than Marte.

Marte isn't going anywhere for any price that we as fans would be willing to accept. The Pirates wanted people like Matt LaPorta this offseason when teams inquired about trading for Marte. No way in hell you trade talent like LaPorta for Marte.

Please, please, please get off of the Damaso Marte bandwagon. He's not good enough for the talent required to trade for him.
And you see how far asking for LaPorta got them. I'm not on any particular "bandwagon". My point was that I'd rather trade for Marte based on the assumption that it would take less in prospects to acquire him. I could certainly be wrong with that assumption.

MattUNC2003
07-09-08, 04:51 PM
My point was that I'd rather trade for Marte based on the assumption that it would take less in prospects to acquire him. I could certainly be wrong with that assumption.

I can follow that, and see where you're coming from.

I still think he'd be too expensive (prospect-wise), and that if you're going to trade decent prospects, the efforts would be better served toward the end that is the acquisition of Brian Fuentes, not Damaso Marte.

fellows
07-09-08, 04:58 PM
The pen is the team's greatest strength. Fuentes would be a luxury for a team short on starting pitching and hitting. They are probably just driving up the price for the Sox who have a greater need for him.

bcom33
07-09-08, 05:20 PM
the picks would be awesome.

give 'em mccutchen +

Where do I sign up for that!? The picks would be great...I really like Melancon though...

R.V.47
07-09-08, 09:33 PM
The pen is the team's greatest strength. Fuentes would be a luxury for a team short on starting pitching and hitting. They are probably just driving up the price for the Sox who have a greater need for him.

I know its been said many times that its ridiculous, a team with a 200 million dollar payroll has not had a quality lefty out of the pen pretty much since Mike Stantons first stint with the yanks and I agree with that. Our bullpen is good but I wouldnt say its great, Farnsworth could blow up at any moment and as good as Veras and Edwar are Id still wouldnt be opposed to adding another solid veteran arm in the pen and I dont think theres a better option out there than Fuentes.

primetime714
07-09-08, 09:46 PM
I know its been said many times that its ridiculous, a team with a 200 million dollar payroll has not had a quality lefty out of the pen pretty much since Mike Stantons first stint with the yanks and I agree with that. Our bullpen is good but I wouldnt say its great, Farnsworth could blow up at any moment and as good as Veras and Edwar are Id still wouldnt be opposed to adding another solid veteran arm in the pen and I dont think theres a better option out there than Fuentes.

Well we are adding Bruney after the all-star break. I know he is far from a sure thing, but he does provide insurance if Farnsworth does blow up.

I'm not opposed to getting Marte or Fuentes. I'm opposed to what the price will be.

I think you can look at what happened last year with Gagne for evidence on why we're probably better off sticking with what we have go within the system (Cox, Britton, Melancon, McCutchen, Horne) if we need another bullpen arm. We did that last year and it worked out well for us with Joba. The Red Sox didn't and got burned on Gagne giving up quality prospects/players. This year we don't need another Joba and we may not even need anyone.

dont_ya_know24
07-09-08, 10:21 PM
the point is their both lefties. girardi knows that his bullpen is a strength and not a weakness, but there are still no lefties (not named traber) that can pitch effectively and consistently against lefties.

BomberBrian
07-09-08, 10:48 PM
Ed Price is out of his mind if he thinks the Yanks would move Melancon for Brian Fuentes.

apalradio
07-09-08, 10:48 PM
The pen is the team's greatest strength. Fuentes would be a luxury for a team short on starting pitching and hitting. They are probably just driving up the price for the Sox who have a greater need for him.I don't know if they're only in it to drive up the price. They could be thinking that there's no fix in sight for the starting rotation, in which case it would make sense to strengthen the overtaxed bullpen. They can use the extra arms wherever they can get 'em, provided they're quality arms like Fuentes.

fellows
07-09-08, 11:11 PM
I don't know if they're only in it to drive up the price. They could be thinking that there's no fix in sight for the starting rotation, in which case it would make sense to strengthen the overtaxed bullpen. They can use the extra arms wherever they can get 'em, provided they're quality arms like Fuentes.

The bullpen isn't overtaxed. Nobody has been overused. Giese is the long man and Robertson can go multiple innings. You really don't need a lefty when you are using three 1 inning pitchers. The 7-8-9 is Veras, Farns, and Rivera no matter what the opposing lineup is. If Farnsworth falters Veras moves up and theres enough depth to support the 6th/7th. Stanton was a lefty but was really a 1 inning pitcher that had equal results against lefties and righties for his career. Fuentes would be nice to have but the Rockies will not give him away and he isn't worth trading much for.

apalradio
07-10-08, 08:43 AM
The bullpen isn't overtaxed. Nobody has been overused. Giese is the long man and Robertson can go multiple innings. You really don't need a lefty when you are using three 1 inning pitchers. The 7-8-9 is Veras, Farns, and Rivera no matter what the opposing lineup is. If Farnsworth falters Veras moves up and theres enough depth to support the 6th/7th. Stanton was a lefty but was really a 1 inning pitcher that had equal results against lefties and righties for his career. Fuentes would be nice to have but the Rockies will not give him away and he isn't worth trading much for.Only one AL team, Texas, has logged more bullpen innings than the Yankees to this point, and with over 300 innings to date the Yankee bullpen is 30+ innings above the league average. So I'm not sure sure I would argue that the pen is not overtaxed. With as many games as there have been where we start going to the pen in the first three or four innings, I still feel the pen is getting enough extra work to be concerned about it as the season wears on.

One way to solve it is to find more and better starters who can go deeper into games, and so far I see no indications that a solution is on the horizon. The other way is to add more strength to the pen, and I wouldn't be offended if Fuentes became that solution. I also feel that a good lefty to offset some of those dangerous left handed bats late in games is more essential than you suggest. In addition, he'd be terrific in the 8th inning, the critical importance of which Joba has demonstrated so well. As you mentioned, Fuentes might cost the Yanks more than he's worth, but if they're going to move him somewhere, the Yankees really need to be in the mix.

bigjf
07-10-08, 05:42 PM
The only way I'd want Fuentes is to block Tampa from getting him, but he was horrible in any role other than closer and has admitted that he has a different mindset when he isn't closing.

There's no way I'd deal any important prospects, especially not Melancon. So I don't see any way we could get him. As has been mentioned, the bullpen has been strong for us anyway.

Tampa has the chips to make that deal (they can probably even keep Price), and he seems like too good a fit for them to not pull it off. If they choose to rent him (which I imagine they would), they get help in the draft. They have enough versatility in that bullpen where they can make him the closer and shift Percival, as good as he's been, to a setup role with Wheeler. I hate to say it, but I could easily see Fuentes going to the Rays. Otherwise, let Boston deal Masterson for him and watch what happens when he goes back to being terrible in setup duty like he was eariler this year.

walesave
07-10-08, 06:38 PM
How many more games do the Yankees win by adding an NL reliever (inflated stats) as the set-up man? The eighth inning role has become the most over-hyped position in baseball (the Yankees were going to implode by starting Joba). The Yankees most glaring problem is starting pitching. Ponson and Rasner are plugging the dam for now but adding one more quality starter (and they may wait for Kennedy/Wang) is the key to the Yanks contending the rest of the way.

just-blaze
07-10-08, 06:52 PM
Only one AL team, Texas, has logged more bullpen innings than the Yankees to this point, and with over 300 innings to date the Yankee bullpen is 30+ innings above the league average. So I'm not sure sure I would argue that the pen is not overtaxed. .

That's misleading....we've had 15 different relievers and Mo is on pace to pitch the most which is 75 innings.

I don't think they've been overtaxed. If we had the same 7-9 pitchers eating innings I would agree, but that hasn't been the case.

Serge
07-10-08, 06:53 PM
How many more games do the Yankees win by adding an NL reliever (inflated stats) as the set-up man? The eighth inning role has become the most over-hyped position in baseball (the Yankees were going to implode by starting Joba). The Yankees most glaring problem is starting pitching. Ponson and Rasner are plugging the dam for now but adding one more quality starter (and they may wait for Kennedy/Wang) is the key to the Yanks contending the rest of the way.You are exactly correct. We do not have a glaring need for a left hander. It would be nice, but definitely not needed.

apalradio
07-10-08, 07:37 PM
That's misleading....we've had 15 different relievers and Mo is on pace to pitch the most which is 75 innings.

I don't think they've been overtaxed. If we had the same 7-9 pitchers eating innings I would agree, but that hasn't been the case.While you may be correct in that no single pitcher in the pen is being overused, the fact that we have next to the fewest IP from starters in the AL is simply not a good sign. We still have the whole second half of the season to play. If we're not getting more innings from the rotation, and no solution for that is in sight, it does make sense to add more muscle to the bullpen, does it not? After all, while I think the pen has done an decent job under the circumstances, it's not like we have the best relievers in the league, is it?

CaptainThurman
07-11-08, 10:55 AM
What Cashman knows that the rest of us are just coming to realize is that the farm system is LOADED with arms. He doesn't need to make any move, just be patient. The rewards are all coming.

dont_ya_know24
07-11-08, 02:26 PM
i just want those two first round picks.

CommerceComet
07-11-08, 02:45 PM
Well we are adding Bruney after the all-star break. I know he is far from a sure thing, but he does provide insurance if Farnsworth does blow up.

I'm not opposed to getting Marte or Fuentes. I'm opposed to what the price will be.
While a lefty in the pen would be nice, with Bruney coming back, I would concentrate on an OF who can hit from the right side and play CF. That seems to be a bigger need right now given Melky's slump and Gardner's being overmatched.

YASS
07-11-08, 06:58 PM
i just want those two first round picks.
Why do people keep calling them "two first round picks"?

Best case is one first round pick and one supplemental round pick. Worst case is one supplemental pick and a second round pick.

The supplemental round follows the first round. It's not part of it.

primetime714
07-11-08, 10:55 PM
While a lefty in the pen would be nice, with Bruney coming back, I would concentrate on an OF who can hit from the right side and play CF. That seems to be a bigger need right now given Melky's slump and Gardner's being overmatched.

I agree. The offense is the problem right now. Damon's return will help there. If Matsui also returns that provides a big boost, but I'm not expecting him to return. With that in mind we definitely could use another bat. Unfortunately I don't think there are many CF's available, but it would be nice to not have to go to Melky and/or Gardner in the stating lineup.

If we're going to pursue pitching I'd rather go after a starter because between Rasner and Ponson you have to figure one of those two is going to fall apart and to be honest Rasner looks like he already is getting there and Ponson is constantly having to work out of jams. Bedard IMO makes a ton of sense, but apparently we have no interest in him because of his attitude which is kind of stupid if you ask me. I think he'd be a great acquisition because his value is real low right now despite having elite stuff.

R.V.47
07-12-08, 10:14 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008/sports/mets/fuentes_prefers_yankees_119572.htm

Fuentes would not have a problem with coming to the yankees.

CommerceComet
07-12-08, 11:41 AM
Bedard IMO makes a ton of sense, but apparently we have no interest in him because of his attitude which is kind of stupid if you ask me. I think he'd be a great acquisition because his value is real low right now despite having elite stuff.If we go after a pitcher, Bedard is the one I would like to see the Yankees pursue. Obtaining a quality lefty at a reasonable cost would be a real coup for Cashman.

TheJobaRules
07-12-08, 11:58 AM
I definitley wouldn't mind a real lefty out in the pen. You can only take so much of guys like Mike Myers and Billy Traber. That being said, when Brian Fuentes is bad, Brian Fuentes is horrible. He had one of the worst stretches a closer could have last year blowing four straight saves and losing the job to Corpas. Knowing the way New York can be, Fuentes would definitley have to have a very short memory.

Prison Mike
07-12-08, 12:16 PM
Don't waste the prospects it would take to get him. Our bullpen is fine.

Somebody is going to pay way too much for him with all the teams bidding.

Matt
07-12-08, 05:56 PM
edit: Nevermind, didn't see it posted on the first page about Fuentes wanting to play for the Yankees. I think it shows that we'd have a good chance at signing him in the offseason if we give him a good offer.

primetime714
07-12-08, 08:34 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008/sports/mets/fuentes_prefers_yankees_119572.htm

Hmm good stuff. I wouldn't have a problem signing him in the offseason. I wouldn't trade for him though. Especially not if Melancon was the cost.

sugmasterflex
07-12-08, 10:44 PM
Don't waste the prospects it would take to get him. Our bullpen is fine.

Somebody is going to pay way too much for him with all the teams bidding.

Agreed. I think the same holds true for Demaso Marte.

ARoDfan4life
07-13-08, 01:07 AM
Hmm good stuff. I wouldn't have a problem signing him in the offseason. I wouldn't trade for him though. Especially not if Melancon was the cost.

Me neither nor Humberto Sanchez, I'm hoping a Claggett/Cox/Kontos might net him.

Yankees1962
07-13-08, 01:11 AM
Me neither nor Humberto Sanchez, I'm hoping a Claggett/Cox/Kontos might net him.
For a 10 week rental, I'm not so sure he's worth them. If the bullpen was a problem, I might feel differently, but it hasn't been a problem.

ARoDfan4life
07-13-08, 01:20 AM
For a 10 week rental, I'm not so sure he's worth them. If the bullpen was a problem, I might feel differently, but it hasn't been a problem.

To tell you the truth I don't want him either. I don't exactly believe that Brian Fuentes will be the LH answer, I'd rather aim a deal for an Alex Hinshaw/Jack Taschner & Erick Threets, send the bottom two to AAA keep Hinshaw w/ the club, but I doubt San Francisco would do it.

Or Jeremy Affeldt or Bill Bray or Mike Gonzalez

machphantom
07-13-08, 04:34 AM
I don't think it would be a good move, however this article appeared in the NY Post today:

Tampa Bay reportedly is considered the favorite for Fuentes, but Fuentes said yesterday before a three-game series at Shea Stadium that the prospect of the Mets or Yankees would intrigue him more.
"I've never played in Yankee Stadium," Fuentes told The Post. "I have no preference, but putting on the pinstripes would be something special by itself."

ThePinStripes
07-13-08, 04:35 AM

I would have no problem with Fuentes being a Yankee :D

Yankees1962
07-13-08, 07:51 AM
To deal for a left-handed relief pitcher and overpay to do so would be stupid in my opinion because Fuentes and Marte will be free agents next year.

yank4life2005
07-13-08, 09:33 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07132008/sports/yankees/yankees_may_be_looking_past_08_119638.htm

The Yanks have to decide what they think of Kennedy, for example, because officials in the Rockies organization like him enough that the Yanks still could land Brian Fuentes for him.

ppa79
07-13-08, 09:37 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07132008/sports/yankees/yankees_may_be_looking_past_08_119638.htm

The Yanks have to decide what they think of Kennedy, for example, because officials in the Rockies organization like him enough that the Yanks still could land Brian Fuentes for him.

Kennedy should be part of a package for an outfielder. Fuentes is overrated and he doesn't really improve this team that much. Our bullpen is the best part of our team. Fuentes is not going to make it much better.

yank4life2005
07-13-08, 09:40 AM
Kennedy should be part of a package for an outfielder. Fuentes is overrated and he doesn't really improve this team that much. Our bullpen is the best part of our team. Fuentes is not going to make it much better.

Perhaps they can expand the deal to include Holliday and NY can add Sanchez to the deal (who they also like) plus others.

ppa79
07-13-08, 09:45 AM
Perhaps they can expand the deal to include Holliday and NY can add Sanchez to the deal (who they also like) plus others.

Sanchez and Kennedy for those guys would be interesting.

However, there some issues with Holliday.

1. His career away splits are not good.
2. Boras is his agent.

Boras will ask for the moon. If we do any deal with the Rockies for Holliday, he has to agree to a contract extension on our terms. I will not overpay for Holliday because his career away splits are not good and his stats are inflated by Coors field

Secondly the Yankee scouts need to be extremely diligent with this guy and make sure he isn't a product of Coors field like his stats indicate. If there is any doubt, then we walk away.

yank4life2005
07-13-08, 10:17 AM
There is no way he signs an extension with Boras as his agent unless Holliday DEMANDS it because all of Boras' clients have tested Free Agency.

Holliday is a solid player just entering his prime years.

ppa79
07-13-08, 10:22 AM
Holliday is a solid player just entering his prime years.

That's the problem, we don't know if he is a product of Coors field. His career OPS away is .800 and his career OPS at home is 1.000. That is too big of a difference.

Even his minor league numbers show that he isn't a 1.000 OPS player. He's never had that breakout minor league season like most great players do. Its more aligned with his career .800 OPS away.

yank4life2005
07-13-08, 10:25 AM
That's the problem, we don't know if he is a product of Coors field. His career OPS away is .800 and his career OPS at home is 1.000. That is too big of a difference.

Even his minor league numbers show that he isn't a 1.000 OPS player. He's never had that breakout minor league season like most great players do. Its more aligned with his career .800 OPS away.

His #'s are skewed and does favor Coors Field, but I would still love to see him in YS. We need RH power besides A-Rod and he would balance out this lineup tremendously.

Wonder if he can play RF incase Abreu doesn't come back next season?

ppa79
07-13-08, 10:27 AM
His #'s are skewed and does favor Coors Field, but I would still love to see him in YS. We need RH power besides A-Rod and he would balance out this lineup tremendously.

Wonder if he can play RF incase Abreu doesn't come back next season?

You would love to see him in YS if he can put up the same numbers as he does in Coors. I would too. But would you love to see him in Yankee stadium if he posts an OPS of low 800s while we are paying him 15 mil a year. Because that could be a realistic possibilty.

You got to be real careful with a guy like this.

TheBamTino24
07-13-08, 10:33 AM
What Cashman knows that the rest of us are just coming to realize is that the farm system is LOADED with arms. He doesn't need to make any move, just be patient. The rewards are all coming.

The odds are against us that all of them pan out. Here's hoping Cashman knows which ones to flip when the perception is high.

bigjf
07-13-08, 02:33 PM
Agreed. I think the same holds true for Demaso Marte.

I'd rather have Marte than Fuentes, but I don't think he will be available.

coachtsurfing
07-13-08, 02:55 PM
If we go after a pitcher, Bedard is the one I would like to see the Yankees pursue. Obtaining a quality lefty at a reasonable cost would be a real coup for Cashman.

I was just going to write this until I saw you did it for me. Thanks, we need another starting pitcher that actually scares some hitters. Fuentes would be nice, but we need a starting pitcher and someone that can actually hit the ball on a regular basis.

bigjf
07-14-08, 10:15 AM
According to Gammons last night during Rockies/Mets, the Rays are indeed making the hardest push for Fuentes. I want half your salary, Peter.

Bleacher_Creature
07-29-08, 02:32 PM
The Rockies would need to be bowled over, but the Cardinals, Mets, Phillies, Rays, Red Sox, White Sox and Yankees still like Brian Fuentes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I thought getting Marte took the Yankees out of the Fuentes market....

Yankee Tripper
07-29-08, 02:34 PM
With Marte, Fuentes makes little to no sense unless the Rockies are dealing him cheaply and I don't see that happening.

bigjf
07-29-08, 04:07 PM
At this point, the Rockies may not be dealing anything. It looks like they're hoping to replicate last year's dash, and that division gives them a huge possibility. That wild card spot won't be sitting there for them this year, but at 6 back (as of 7/29) they can come out of nowhere if they decide to go on a winning streak.

fellows
07-29-08, 05:27 PM
The Rockies would need to be bowled over, but the Cardinals, Mets, Phillies, Rays, Red Sox, White Sox and Yankees still like Brian Fuentes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I thought getting Marte took the Yankees out of the Fuentes market....

If the Red Sox are involved, then so are the Yankees.