PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal: "yanks inquired about Vincent Padilla"

ahopnova
07-02-08, 01:53 PM
Didn't see anything post about this, saw it in his article. Says the rangers would require good young pitching, which we clearly have. Thoughts? Comments? Also mentions a possible interest in Melky by the D-Backs...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8301638/Red-Sox-might-be-wise-to-wash-hands-of-Manny?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=3498#

themgmt
07-02-08, 01:54 PM
no thanks

webassign
07-02-08, 01:56 PM
I don't care about the Padilla thing, but Cashman better get as much as he can from the D-Backs for Melky.

shadyridr
07-02-08, 01:56 PM
Padilla is terrible. I wouldnt give up much for him.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-02-08, 01:59 PM
Also mentions a possible interest in Melky by the D-Backs...

He really just opines that Melky might make some sense for the D-Backs, he doesn't say they've expressed any interest. But heck, if someone wants some of the Melk Man, I think we'd be foolish not to accomodate them.

ahopnova
07-02-08, 02:06 PM
He really just opines that Melky might make some sense for the D-Backs, he doesn't say they've expressed any interest. But heck, if someone wants some of the Melk Man, I think we'd be foolish not to accomodate them.

yeah didn't mean to mislead, 'possible' is the important word there...sorry, must of been a bit of wishful thinking shining through

mitch300
07-02-08, 02:06 PM
Didn't see anything post about this, saw it in his article. Says the rangers would require good young pitching, which we clearly have. Thoughts? Comments? Also mentions a possible interest in Melky by the D-Backs...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8301638/Red-Sox-might-be-wise-to-wash-hands-of-Manny?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=3498#

Where did you see that the D-Backs are interested in Melky? The way I read it is Rosenthal thinks Melky might be an option, not that the D-Backs are interested in him..

ahopnova
07-02-08, 02:07 PM
I don't care about the Padilla thing, but Cashman better get as much as he can from the D-Backs for Melky.
a la the second "the big unit" deal

primetime714
07-02-08, 02:07 PM
Yikes! No thanks!

Prison Mike
07-02-08, 02:15 PM
Chris Young for Melky- do it up!

webassign
07-02-08, 02:18 PM
Chris Young for Melky- do it up!
Are we throwing in 2,000 tons of cocaine with that deal?

southernNYYfan
07-02-08, 02:24 PM
Hopefully inquiring is all they will do...

Prison Mike
07-02-08, 02:28 PM
Are we throwing in 2,000 tons of cocaine with that deal?

If that's Byrnes' drug of choice, it's really a small price to pay.

jeterlove
07-02-08, 02:32 PM
Everybody wants Cashman to do something, but nobody wants to trade Hughes ect for an "ace". But then people get upset when he kicks the tires on middle of the rotation type pitchers.

What should he do?

JohnnyDamonfan
07-02-08, 04:45 PM
Melky straight up for Justin Upton do it Cash,;)

rajah
07-02-08, 04:46 PM
Everybody wants Cashman to do something, but nobody wants to trade Hughes ect for an "ace". But then people get upset when he kicks the tires on middle of the rotation type pitchers.

What should he do?

You don't expect the average poster to be realistic do you? It is much easier to assume that Cashman leaves deals on the table.

AcidLake
07-02-08, 05:14 PM
If we give up Melky and low level prospect and overaged minor league reliever for Padilla... I'd do it

Damon(MVP)
07-02-08, 05:44 PM
Melky for a bag of bats that don't shatter.:)

bigjf
07-03-08, 10:31 AM
That wouldn't be a terrible trade, but it's not something I'd give up more than Melky for. Even Melky is probably overpaying.

apalradio
07-03-08, 10:58 AM

What should he do?Trouble is that guys like Padilla are not going to help elevate this team. We're already a pretty average team as it is, with a rotation full of middle type guys. I do think we need to get off the mark at some point and roll the dice on dealing one or more of our young chips for an ace. If Sabathia is available, we have to fish in that pond. He's too much of a difference maker to turn our backs on him like we seem to be doing. Just assuming that we'll sign him in the offseason is no guarantee that it'll happen.

dont_ya_know24
07-03-08, 11:08 AM
melky and another prospect is as far as i would go, but padilla would definitely be a better option than ponson an co. taking up the 4th/5th spot in the rotation.

Yankees13
07-03-08, 11:22 AM
He'd be a decent 4th starter, but the problem is that he's signed for next year as well with an option for the year after. Don't want someone like that clogging a rotation spot long-term.

Hellsing
07-03-08, 11:39 AM
Jesus H. Christ.

NO. Cashman. NO.

Hughes is coming back.
IPK is is coming back.
Horne is getting right.
Wang WILL be back.

This offense has been the problem.
Not the starting pitching.
Not the bullpen.

NO. NO. A thousand times NO.

ARoDfan4life
07-03-08, 12:00 PM
Calm down ! You know how many false rumors Rosenthal has came up with ? Not for one second do I believe they are going after Padilla. Not for one second.

Hellsing
07-03-08, 12:03 PM
Calm down ! You know how many false rumors Rosenthal has came up with ? Not for one second do I believe they are going after Padilla. Not for one second.

Alright. First Ponson...now this? I was about to join RSN if Cashman kept this up.

YASS
07-03-08, 12:06 PM
Alright. First Ponson...now this? I was about to join RSN if Cashman kept this up.
Welcome!

You'll get your membership card in the mail in about 4-6 weeks.

Just sign here: _______________________________________

AcidLake
07-03-08, 12:09 PM
4~6 weeks? Eh, not likely

R.V.47
07-03-08, 01:20 PM
Yet another Cashman "I'll fix this on the cheap" move, not buying it.

THEBOSS84
07-03-08, 01:22 PM
I would like to trade Hughes and Melky for Justin Upton. I doubt Zona would like that.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-03-08, 10:46 PM
If the Yankees wanted to sell I could see Damon interesting the D-Backs.

ppa79
07-04-08, 08:58 AM
I would like to trade Hughes and Melky for Justin Upton. I doubt Zona would like that.

I wouldn't trade Hughes. Aside from Joba and Wang, who else is going to pitch for this team in the future. Pettite is getting older, Mussina is getting older. This team has Ponson and Rasner occupying two spots in the rotation.

Our blue chip pitching talent (Brackman, Betances) is still a couple of years away. This year was a wasted year for Horne and he isn't as good as Hughes.

yanksphan
07-04-08, 12:10 PM
Screw Padilla. Sign Bonds.

YankeeFan66
07-04-08, 07:30 PM

Rosenthal's source was Peter Gammons!!! :D

CommerceComet
07-05-08, 02:05 PM
He'd be a decent 4th starter, but the problem is that he's signed for next year as well with an option for the year after. Don't want someone like that clogging a rotation spot long-term.Besides the fact that you can never have too much pitching, how hard is it in this environment to trade a pitcher? As long as you are reasonable in your demands, a decent pitcher can be moved very quickly.

AcidLake
07-05-08, 02:06 PM
Okay, I saw Padilla's start against the O's yesterday... I don't know if it was his bad condition yesterday, but he looked awful with 88~92mph fastball with VERY erratic control on his breaking stuffs.

dont_ya_know24
07-05-08, 05:17 PM
i looked at some old stuff, he was sitting easily in the mid 90s.

AcidLake
07-05-08, 05:40 PM
i looked at some old stuff, he was sitting easily in the mid 90s.
Yeah, that's some aspect that puzzles me too. I did see several of his highlights from this year and he was between 95~97mph, yet yesterday, he was in lower range... and I doubt the radar gun was wrong since it had Guthrie in 92~95mph range and was spot on on the other pitchers' velocity too

Yankees Empire
07-05-08, 08:41 PM
Welcome!

You'll get your membership card in the mail in about 4-6 weeks.

Just sign here: _______________________________________

I actually thought about this.

Then a red-skinned guy reeking of sulfur showed up and said something about my "soul."

That's when I said "No, thanks."

Anyway, as per the topic, Padilla is one of these guys who pitches juuuust well enough every once in a while to make you think that he's a pretty good pitcher. Then you get a start like he had yesterday. Texas can keep him, as far as I'm concerned.

continentalg5
07-06-08, 01:47 AM
Screw Padilla, David Price iz future.

Too bad he's on the Rays and they will probably never part with him.

philleotardo
07-06-08, 11:17 PM
We should bring him for the sole purpose of resurrecting the "Padilla Flotilla."

bluecountry
07-07-08, 06:47 PM
Ken Rosenthal is a douchebag.

suha
07-07-08, 07:52 PM
Padilla is terrible. I wouldnt give up much for him.

Padilla is LAZY, but he's not terrible. I think he would be one of those guys who either blossoms or busts in NY. Not sure it's worth the chance.

Brick Tamland
07-08-08, 12:48 PM
Trouble is that guys like Padilla are not going to help elevate this team. We're already a pretty average team as it is, with a rotation full of middle type guys. I do think we need to get off the mark at some point and roll the dice on dealing one or more of our young chips for an ace. If Sabathia is available, we have to fish in that pond. He's too much of a difference maker to turn our backs on him like we seem to be doing. Just assuming that we'll sign him in the offseason is no guarantee that it'll happen.

On this team, Padilla wouldn't be a bad option. He doesn't make this team a lot better, but he does make the pitching rotation deeper and stronger IMO. If Cashman doesn't have to trade too much for him, why not, at least it would be better than trotting Rasner/Giese/Ponson out there every fifth day.