-tz
06-24-08, 09:32 PM
Was THIS rock bottom?

Discuss.

Art Vanderlay
06-24-08, 09:34 PM
Was THIS rock bottom?

Discuss.

I hope it is, but then I remember that we are pitching Rasner, Geise, and Ponson this week and farnsworth is our setup man.

bigjf
06-24-08, 09:45 PM
It was ugly, but it was still just one game. That's not "rock bottom." Rock bottom is a heavy losing streak or losing like 6 of 9. That's rock bottom status. We bounce back and win the next two? No probs.

JeterRodriguezSheff
06-24-08, 09:47 PM
This is what we have to look forward to for the rest of the season. They will win 7 straight and then lose 6 of 7...this team is feast or famine and very poor with RISP, and its not like its a statistical anomaly. It has been like this for the past 4 years.

Yankees13
06-24-08, 09:53 PM
Well, I'm glad Girardi is angry and didn't try to make up BS, but this team is what it is. It has Darrel Rasner, Dan Giese, and Sidney Ponson starting games for them, plus you're holding your breath with Mussina, and to a lesser extent, Pettitte, that leaves a 22 year old with 4 major league starts. It has a rotting offensive core with only one player producing at a high level who isn't in his mid-30s or older. It has a great closer and then the rest of the bullpen is either intruging question marks with little track record, or mediocre retreads. Bottom line is we get our ass kicked by the Reds and Pirates, I shudder to think what will happen in the 13 game stretch where we play the Mets, Rangers, Red Sox, and Rays. 2-11, 3-10 is not unrealistic.

AcidLake
06-24-08, 09:55 PM
Last year, Big George would've had his outburst to motivate the team, but what is Hank doing?

Yankees13
06-24-08, 09:57 PM
Last year, Big George would've had his outburst to motivate the team, but what is Hank doing?
I don't think someone with the rhetorical skills of Churchill, Kennedy, and King combined could fire up this team. They just don't give a flying f*ck.

E-Rod
06-24-08, 09:58 PM
Normally, our losses are because our pitcher or our offense failed in the game, when both failed in the same game that shows a team that have a lot of problems and in the past 2-3 years little has be done to fix.

Our offense is the same of the last year and we aren't playing better than last year. Fact that increases the chances of worst results this year.

We had really bad luck with our pitchers injuries, but we are still in the run for a playoff spot because all teams are having problems and the league looks more competitive this year with no team running ahead of the others.

Hobie
06-24-08, 10:01 PM
I didn't see the game but 5 runs from the offense isn't really a total failure...you should be able to win games when your offense scores 5 runs...

BillBuckner
06-24-08, 10:01 PM
Big deal. One night, one loss. Excuse me while I go ahead and not hang myself.

Yankees13
06-24-08, 10:02 PM
I didn't see the game but 5 runs from the offense isn't really a total failure...you should be able to win games when your offense scores 5 runs...
4 of the 5 runs came in garbage time. The offense couldn't touch a guy whose control was so bad he walked Rasner twice.

YanksFan1992
06-24-08, 10:07 PM
No it's not, we're already long pass rock bottom.

I'm sorry but no matter how bad it seems we only lost one game and have still won 8 out of 11. If we play like this for another week I'll be worried, but after their great run of late I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

bigjf
06-24-08, 10:23 PM
This is what we have to look forward to for the rest of the season. They will win 7 straight and then lose 6 of 7...this team is feast or famine and very poor with RISP, and its not like its a statistical anomaly. It has been like this for the past 4 years.

Well thank you for ruining the rest of the season for me. You had to go look at your crystal ball and spoil it for the rest of us, didn't you? No point in watching now...

Cheesyhoboe
06-24-08, 10:24 PM
In terms of play, this was the absolute worst game I've seen this year from the Yanks and it sums up the team's problems quite nicely.

YanksFan1992
06-24-08, 10:29 PM
Big deal. One night, one loss. Excuse me while I go ahead and not hang myself.

Thank you.

We lost 3 out of 4 and everyone seems to be giving up on the year.

BonusCantos
06-24-08, 11:08 PM
Couldn't really be rock bottom; they're still 5 games over .500. I still maintain that the 12-2 Baltimore loss was it.

YanksFan1992
06-24-08, 11:10 PM
Couldn't really be rock bottom; they're still 5 games over .500. I still maintain that the 12-2 Baltimore loss was it.

That 7 run first inning...:(

I think that was the busiest the game thread has been all year. :lol:

JeterRodriguezSheff
06-24-08, 11:19 PM
Well thank you for ruining the rest of the season for me. You had to go look at your crystal ball and spoil it for the rest of us, didn't you? No point in watching now...

The ironic thing is, i didnt look at the future. What did I look at? The past...history repeats itself, and doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result is in fact insanity. This is pretty much the same team as the past few years. Rookie pitchers make the staff more exciting but less reliable, and the offense is just a year older, same crappy middle relief, offense tends to have either a big night or a terrible one, poor hitting with RISP, etc., etc. It is the same old story.

Really when the team is that similar you can expect the same results. Second half surge, first round exit.

AlbanyColonieYankee
06-24-08, 11:54 PM
Not at all. I would rather see him say that "we stunk" than try to make light of it.

It was a bad game, highlighted by a starting pitcher who is really not that good. We are going to have to find a way to get by. But all in all, the pitching has been quite good lately...in fact, the Yanks have won a few games that they should have lost recently in spite of the lack of offense.

diehardyankeefan
06-25-08, 12:01 AM
Wow you fans think the season is over after a 1-3 stretch. Wow, give me a break. Yes, there are glaring holes on this team, but does it seem if the offense doesn't average 5-6 runs over a 4 game span, is it time to hit the panic button. Yes, I hope Girardi motivates this team after this bad loss (I didn't see the game btw), but you guys act like the season is over. Yes, they need to take the next 2 games and not have a bad road trip, but losing your hope after 1 game is completely ridiculous.

JeterForPresident
06-25-08, 12:03 AM
Wow you fans think the season is over after a 1-3 stretch. Wow, give me a break. Yes, there are glaring holes on this team, but does it seem if the offense doesn't average 5-6 runs over a 4 game span, is it time to hit the panic button. Yes, I hope Girardi motivates this team after this bad loss (I didn't see the game btw), but you guys act like the season is over. Yes, they need to take the next 2 games and not have a bad road trip, but losing your hope after 1 game is completely ridiculous.

Nice post here. It certainly was a pathetic effort and awful loss which was tough to watch. Rasner struggled right from the start and the offense never got started which is what usually happens with this team when it is playing from behind, but we have to give the team a chance to pick it back up and finish up strong in Pittsburgh.

False1
06-25-08, 12:11 AM
I don't think someone with the rhetorical skills of Churchill, Kennedy, and King combined could fire up this team. They just don't give a flying f*ck.Something tells me you might be wrong. I'm sure they all care. When I see lousy approaches at the plate, such as swinging at first pitches with the bases loaded against a hurler with no control, I think maybe some players care a bit too much about their individual production or protecting their jobs versus a purer interest in the team performance. But even if I allow myself that assumption I'd not go so far to say they don't care outright.

Sam18
06-25-08, 12:12 AM
Holy sh*t whats with the overreaction tonight? :lol:

YanksFan1992
06-25-08, 12:21 AM
Holy sh*t whats with the overreaction tonight? :lol:

It's really unbelieveable. :eek:

silverdsl
06-25-08, 07:02 AM
I don't think someone with the rhetorical skills of Churchill, Kennedy, and King combined could fire up this team. They just don't give a flying f*ck.On the major league level the vast majority of players care very much whether they win or lose - they're too competitive not to. They'd never last in the majors if they half-assed it or didn't really care too much about how they played or what happened. But the reality is that no matter how much they want to win that doesn't mean it's always going to happen.

Like someone else said it's really hard to see a team that's still five games over .500 as having hit rock bottom.

Brick Tamland
06-25-08, 07:33 AM
I'm not worried. Sure it was a terrible loss but it's certainly not rock bottom. I am disappointed but you have games like this some days when neither you offense nor your pitching is working for you. If the Yankees can take the next two games this first one is meaningless in my mind, chaulk it up to a bad day.

Rasner had an awful start, it happens.

BRNXBMRS
06-25-08, 07:40 AM
Good Girardi said what a lot of people are thinking.

apalradio
06-25-08, 07:43 AM
I'm not worried. Sure it was a terrible loss but it's certainly not rock bottom. I am disappointed but you have games like this some days when neither you offense nor your pitching is working for you. If the Yankees can take the next two games this first one is meaningless in my mind, chaulk it up to a bad day.

Rasner had an awful start, it happens.Let's hope it doesn't keep happening. He's given up 15 ER in his last 13.2 IP. That said, if the team can keep grinding we'll be okay.

JL25and3
06-25-08, 08:06 AM
Last year, Big George would've had his outburst to motivate the team, but what is Hank doing?Do you really think Steinbrenner's little tantrums ever actually motivated the players? I don't.

Brick Tamland
06-25-08, 08:15 AM
Let's hope it doesn't keep happening. He's given up 15 ER in his last 13.2 IP. That said, if the team can keep grinding we'll be okay.

Indeed. Rasner is falling back to Earth. My hope is that he settles into a happy medium between his lights out starts in his first three attempts and his dreadful performance in the last 6 to fill out the back of the Yanks rotation. I never thought of him as a front line starter but he can be a serviceable 4 or 5 and I firmly believe that. He's had a string of questionable starts, time for a string of some quality outings.

jeterlove
06-25-08, 08:18 AM
This team isn't going anywhere unless something is done to help out the bullpen.

I don't know what moves are out there to be made, but the Yankees bullpen is pretty awful right now and I can't even conceive of how it would do during the playoffs.

It's a major weakness that Cashman needs to address.

sweet_lou_14
06-25-08, 08:19 AM
I was pretty pissed watching that awful game last night. It hurt double that just about everyone else in the AL (certainly everyone else in the division) won.

Threads like this one, to me, are like group therapy sessions where everyone gets to do their primal scream and go back to being normal again. I enjoy them a lot, the more over-the-top negative the better. :D By the time TBT posts the next pregame thread, we'll all be raring to go for another Yankee win.

But in the meantime, boy did they suck last night.

ksison
06-25-08, 08:23 AM
Rasner was in for a night like tonight. Our offense has hit a slow period (again)

Guiseppe Franco
06-25-08, 08:28 AM
On the bright side, we're doing better than the Mets.

Right?
:-hide-:

Brick Tamland
06-25-08, 08:30 AM
On the bright side, we're doing better than the Mets.

Right?
:-hide-:

Not exactly something to hang your hat on...

yankeeman61
06-25-08, 08:34 AM
I'm satisfied that Girardi told it like it was instead of trying to put a positive spin on the debacle. The way this team played last night was a disgrace to their own talent level, in just about every aspect of the game. There is no excuse to go into a game mentally unprepared, especially after a day's rest. They had a pitcher on the mound who walked our pitcher twice and couldn't find his ass with both hands all night long and they still couldn't do anything with him, save a former independent league rookie who came to play. Rasner has been good to great, but last night he served up batting practice and Girardi should include himself in the "we stunk" comment for leaving him in there way too long. Other than the 12-2 Baltimore game, the first inning fog was the worst mental performance of the year IMO. To summarize:

A gift leadoff walk on 4 pitches that weren't even close
Pitcher throws 2 more way out of the zone
Jeter inexplicably swings at a borderline strike and hits into a DP - he knows better
Pitcher then walks Abreu - of course he swung at ball 4 on a 3-1 pitch prior
ARod swings at first pitch, Abreu steals 2nd, Arod gets eaten up on a high inside FB and k's

Rasner's 1st pitch is a hanging BP FB crushed for a double
Posada doesn't move for a very catchable outside low pitch and it gets by him. Runner to 3B. Incredibly, Rasner is charged with a WP.
Sanchez fists a single to LF, nervous rookie bobbles it and actually makes a decent throw to 2B, but an in-between hop that Cano sort of half-reaches for and misses completely. 1-0 Pirates.
Fly ball to Abreu, who instead of positioning himself to throw to 3B (he had time ), catches the ball on his glove side and uncorks a throw down the 3B line that ARod fortunately moved to and caught. Luckily the runner didn't move up. But it didn't matter because:
With 2 outs, Rasner makes a terrible pitch to LaRoche and he lines it hard for a single. 2-0 Pirates.

It got worse from there, but you could see this team had no energy or brains in the first inning when they should have capatilized and blown the starting pitcher out of the game. Instead of waking up, they just continued to fire bullets into their own feet. There's just no excuse for this team to play like they did last night. I agree with you, Joe G. You all stunk.

Dave Visbeck
06-25-08, 11:42 AM
Thank you.

We lost 3 out of 4 and everyone seems to be giving up on the year.

Not me. I'm pulling for a 43-37 record at 80 games. Just last week they had won 7 straight. Isn't the longest down streak just at 4 games? Am I right, Jamie?

JeterRodriguezSheff
06-25-08, 12:51 PM

I believe fully that we will make the playoffs, once we get there it will be the same as 2005,06, and 07.

R.V.47
06-25-08, 12:52 PM
I believe fully that we will make the playoffs, once we get there it will be the same as 2005,06, and 07.

If we make it I think it will be as a wild card and a first round draw agains the Angels without home field. Weve already seen how thats worked out on a few occasions.

YanksFan1992
06-25-08, 01:06 PM
Not me. I'm pulling for a 43-37 record at 80 games. Just last week they had won 7 straight. Isn't the longest down streak just at 4 games? Am I right, Jamie?

That would be correct, we lost four games in a row from May 15-20 (no games on the 16th or 19th).

Also (this isn't directed towards Dave), even though the last few games may have seemed bad, if we win the next two and then take three out of four from the Mets we'll finish our 16 game interleague stretch at 12-4.

Hellsing
06-25-08, 01:55 PM
This team isn't going anywhere unless something is done to help out the bullpen.

I don't know what moves are out there to be made, but the Yankees bullpen is pretty awful right now and I can't even conceive of how it would do during the playoffs.

It's a major weakness that Cashman needs to address.

Latroy Hawkins will not be an important piece in the BP in the 2nd part of this season. He's the one that was terrible.

The BP is not as bad as you think. Just wait until Melancon or D-Rob is up here crapping bullets before you judge this BP.

teknetic
06-25-08, 01:58 PM
Latroy Hawkins will not be an important piece in the BP in the 2nd part of this season. He's the one that was terrible.

The BP is not as bad as you think. Just wait until Melancon or D-Rob is up here crapping bullets before you judge this BP.

No kidding. Asides from Olly and Hawkins and the occasional Farnsworth bed crapping our pen has actually been good. It should get somewhat better when Bruney gets back and one of Robertston/Melancon are called up to replace Hawkins/Ohlendorf.

Our offense has been the biggest letdown so far.

bigjf
06-25-08, 03:12 PM
The ironic thing is, i didnt look at the future. What did I look at? The past...history repeats itself, and doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result is in fact insanity. This is pretty much the same team as the past few years. Rookie pitchers make the staff more exciting but less reliable, and the offense is just a year older, same crappy middle relief, offense tends to have either a big night or a terrible one, poor hitting with RISP, etc., etc. It is the same old story.

Really when the team is that similar you can expect the same results. Second half surge, first round exit.

No, the ironic thing is you think being eliminated in the first round is an abject failure every year, whereas you should realize it's quite an accomplishment that this team has made the playoffs EVERY DAMN YEAR since 1995! Even the so-called Red Sox dynasty, with their 2 titles in 4 years, missed the playoffs one year in between.

If your crystal ball can tell me that this team will make the playoffs this year, I'd say let's make no changes and march forward. Once you make it, it's a total crapshoot, especially that first round. Everyone went into mourning when Wang got injured this year. Well, as good as he is, he was a big reason why we lost to the Indians, and I would have put him out there all the same.

Look back at the championship years and find how many big breaks the Yanks got along the way. It's quite a few. If history repeated itself then Tino Martinez shouldn't have been hitting in Game 1 against the Padres in 1998. So mark that grand slam off the board.

I'm aware of the definition of insanity but I think it needs to be changed. Calling your season over when you're 5 games back on June 25th is the real definition of insanity.

-tz
06-25-08, 04:20 PM
Excellent post, bigjf.

Yankee Tripper
06-25-08, 04:33 PM
Was THIS rock bottom?

Discuss.bad game - rock bottom was when we under .500 and sinking fast.

LDG
06-25-08, 04:41 PM
I agree. It was ridiculously frustrating watching the team flounder against such bad pitching last night.

They'll pick it back up tonight.

bigjf
06-25-08, 07:01 PM
The season is still less than half over here, folks.

sweet_lou_14
06-25-08, 08:29 PM
I agree. It was ridiculously frustrating watching the team flounder against such bad pitching last night.

They'll pick it back up tonight.

And they have. I wish they were gaining a little more ground in the division, but they're hanging in. July will bring plenty of chances to make their move in head-to-head games against the teams ahead of them.

The Q Bomb
06-27-08, 04:49 PM
Girardi looks like he's going to combust today.

fredgmuggs
06-27-08, 04:50 PM
So... is this game Rock Bottom???

The Q Bomb
06-27-08, 04:57 PM
So... is this game Rock Bottom??? I'm just hoping it's "rock bottom" for today! :(

JfromJersey
06-27-08, 05:02 PM
Only 1 word..
embarrasing.

b_joseph
06-27-08, 05:42 PM
Only 1 word..
embarrasing.
Yep...getting rocked by the Mets for 3 straight games is unacceptable.

I can usually handle losses but there are always a few that get under your skin and this was one of them.
This annoyed me more than the Minny game where Pettitte kept on giving up leads.

teknetic
06-27-08, 05:44 PM
Rock Bottom #4?

montrealer
06-27-08, 06:13 PM
So... is this game Rock Bottom???
I`m waiting till tonite`s game.

BonusCantos
06-27-08, 06:33 PM
OK, THIS might have been the worst game they played all year.

-tz
06-27-08, 06:58 PM
OK, THIS might have been the worst game they played all year.Well, they DID score six runs. With even mediocre pitching, it should have been a W.

BonusCantos
06-27-08, 07:35 PM
Well, they DID score six runs. With even mediocre pitching, it should have been a W.I mean, 15 runs to the Mets. That's abominable.

bigjf
06-29-08, 12:04 PM
I mean, 15 runs to the Mets. That's abominable.

So it turns out at the end of the day both teams scored the same amount of runs for the day. Don't you just love hindsight?

apalradio
06-29-08, 02:36 PM
It can be awfully frustrating to watch this team get shut down by many of the lesser pitchers in the game. But then again, what's up with today's lineup against Perez? Posada at first, Betemit at second, Christian in right, Molina behind the plate, Moeller pinch hitting...kinda like a spring training game. Or maybe Girardi thought they could beat Perez with their eyes closed?

Yankees13
06-29-08, 02:52 PM
It can be awfully frustrating to watch this team get shut down by many of the lesser pitchers in the game. But then again, what's up with today's lineup against Perez? Posada at first, Betemit at second, Christian in right, Molina behind the plate, Moeller pinch hitting...kinda like a spring training game. Or maybe Girardi thought they could beat Perez with their eyes closed?
No, Girardi knew this matchup was an automatic loss for the Yankees, so he decided to rest some of his players.

dont_ya_know24
06-29-08, 03:16 PM
No, Girardi knew this matchup was an automatic loss for the Yankees, so he decided to rest some of his players.

assuming no sarcasm, i highly doubt that...

Yankees13
06-29-08, 03:21 PM
assuming no sarcasm, i highly doubt that...
Well, that probably wasn't his thinking, but hard-throwing lefty=auto loss for the Yankees.

BonusCantos
06-29-08, 03:49 PM
So it turns out at the end of the day both teams scored the same amount of runs for the day. Don't you just love hindsight?Not when it's directed at me.

dont_ya_know24
06-29-08, 04:23 PM
Well, that probably wasn't his thinking, but hard-throwing lefty=auto loss for the Yankees.

how about 24 hours ago, johan santana.

this start was the hardest perez was throwing all year, and was about the same as santana, 91-94

roblyo33
06-29-08, 04:49 PM
Joe threw in the towel on this one. I don't care what anyone says. He did not give is the best chance to win.

-tz
06-29-08, 05:11 PM
Joe threw in the towel on this one. I don't care what anyone says. He did not give is the best chance to win.I agree. This, to me, was possibly the most frustrating loss of the season. By sitting three of his best hitters, he put all the more pressure on the ones who were left ... no wonder A-Rod kept trying, and failing, to hit a home run.

bigjf
06-29-08, 10:09 PM
It was a tough stretch with the rain delays and the late flight and the double header and all. I don't blame Joe for resting some of the guys today. Perez just seems to always up his game against us. Time for Texas...