PDA

View Full Version : How about Derek Lowe??

R.V.47
06-23-08, 06:06 PM
The Dodgers arent completely out of it but they may want to dump some salary. Lowe has shown that he can thrive in pressure games. Is versatile and will not be intimidated by the yanks-sox rivalry. I dont know if he is in anyway available but he has shown some dissatisfaction with how he has been used in LA. He may be a cheaper option than some of the other names thrown around like Sabathia. He is though 35 with some injury history I see this as a potential quick fix for the absence of Wang in the rotation and not something to go beyond next year or beyond.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5801

Cheesyhoboe
06-23-08, 06:19 PM
I have no idea what the Dodgers would want for him.

False1
06-23-08, 07:33 PM
Unlike some of the other names floated, he shouldn't cost a boat load of prospects and he doesn't make me want to puke outright. But his last 2 years in the AL East were abysmal and I'm not sure why the Dodgers would trade him at this point. He's putting out a good number of effective innings for them and they have ? marks in SP.

THEBOSS84
06-23-08, 07:35 PM
The reason he would cost more than we think is that he'd likely be a type A free agent. The LAD would want more than the value of just 2 picks for him if they trade him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-23-08, 07:40 PM
We really don't have SP problems. Our problems lie at SS, 2B, CF, and the bullpen.

themgmt
06-24-08, 07:55 AM
SS? Even with how slow Jeter's start has been he's still got the 3rd highest OPS for an AL shortstop

Starting pitching is in more trouble than the bullpen too. You're kidding yourself if you think Rasner/Mussina/Giese can hold down 60% of the rotation. At least one of those spots will need to be replaced. I'd prefer an internal candidate though

apalradio
06-24-08, 08:08 AM
SS? Even with how slow Jeter's start has been he's still got the 3rd highest OPS for an AL shortstop

Starting pitching is in more trouble than the bullpen too. You're kidding yourself if you think Rasner/Mussina/Giese can hold down 60% of the rotation. At least one of those spots will need to be replaced. I'd prefer an internal candidate thoughAgree about the rotation issues. The best internal candidates, however, are already in the rotation.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-24-08, 09:20 AM
It doesn't matter, to this point in the season, he has underperformed greatly. I fully expect him to have a big second half.

Starting pitching is in more trouble than the bullpen too. You're kidding yourself if you think Rasner/Mussina/Giese can hold down 60% of the rotation. At least one of those spots will need to be replaced. I'd prefer an internal candidate though
Right now they are all doing the job. I'm not going to speculate on whether Mussina is going to drop off the table or whether he is going to have a season like he had in 06'. Or whether Rasner will continue to pitch well and be the above average SP he has been his entire major league career.

Until they start pitching poorly and consistently, I'm not going to look for options outside the organization. Especially options for guys who aren't dominant.

Yankee Tripper
06-24-08, 05:11 PM
We really don't have SP problems.

I'm sorry do you follow the Yankees? When Darell Rasner and Dan Giese make up 40% of your current rotation and you are counting on a kid (a very good one granted) a 36 year old lefty who has been alternately hot & cold this year and a 39 year old pitcher who has been significantly worse in the 2nd half each of the last 3 years making up the other 60% of the rotation and you are calling on Sidney Ponson to start, how can you say the Yanks don't have SP problems?

Our problems lie at SS, 2B, CF, and the bullpen.

Don't expect too much in the way of change at 2B or SS. Just gotta hope those 2 get closer to career averages the rest of the way.
CF may or may not change depending on Melky's performance.
The BP may be a revolving door to SWB all year long, get used to it. Though overall it hasn't been as bad as recent seasons.

Cheesyhoboe
06-24-08, 05:33 PM
Considering the pitching depth we have at AAA I don't think we should make a trade unless we're sure our internal options. can't cut it. Meaning there's no reason we should make a trade until near the trade deadline.

hardrain
06-24-08, 07:06 PM
would love to see Lowe on the team if it's not to costly in prospects.

R.V.47
06-24-08, 08:38 PM
We really don't have SP problems. Our problems lie at SS, 2B, CF, and the bullpen.

Against the Padres and the Reds yea maybe but I just watched Darrell Rasner give up 6 runs to the Pirates. Im much more worried about our starters when it comes time to face teams like the Red Sox and Tigers rather than worry about what Jeter and Cano and Melky are doing.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-30-08, 11:25 AM
For our final free agent bargain, we take a look at another starting pitcher who simply doesnít get the recognition he deserves - Derek Lowe (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=199&position=P). Iíve written about him (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/lowe-down/) several times this year, but it bears repeating: Lowe had the 7th best FIP of any starting pitcher in baseball this year. Better than Brandon Webb (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1692&position=P). Better than Johan Santana (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=755&position=P). Better than breakthrough stars Ervin Santana (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3200&position=P) and Ryan Dempster (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=517&position=P) or established aces like Jake Peavy (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1051&position=P) and Roy Oswalt (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=571&position=P). http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/free-agent-bargain-derek-lowe/

nnysiny
10-30-08, 11:45 AM
i cant see Lowe pitching that well as a Yankee, but his health automatically puts him above Burnett and Sheets. the fact that hes a type A free agent is kind of a kick to the groin, though

R.V.47
10-30-08, 12:28 PM
i cant see Lowe pitching that well as a Yankee, but his health automatically puts him above Burnett and Sheets. the fact that hes a type A free agent is kind of a kick to the groin, though

I think he can replace the production we would get from Moose next year if he was to come back. I wouldnt go more than 2 years with Lowe at age 36 though.

The Mets are going to go hard for Lowe I think, I could see Minaya giving him a 4 year deal.

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-30-08, 01:27 PM
I really wouldn't be opposed to Lowe on a 3 year deal.

OldYankeeFan
10-30-08, 01:31 PM

Not if we pick up CC and Tex. We lose only a #3, while retaining the #1 pick from Cole last year and any other picks from the FA we lose..

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-01-08, 12:28 AM
If CC falls through, I'd definitely want Lowe before Sheets or Burnett even enter their minds.

Slioman
11-01-08, 12:33 AM
If CC falls through, I wouldn't mind the Big Unit or Lowe.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-01-08, 12:35 AM
If CC falls through, I wouldn't mind the Big Unit or Lowe.

Randy Johnson? No thanks.

Slioman
11-01-08, 12:37 AM

It isn't likely, but his peripherals were great this year. His FIP+ (which is league and park adjusted) was over 120. Johnson was great last year.

in2dust2002
11-01-08, 06:50 PM

Although it would be kinda funny to see him come back and shove another camera man.

bigjf
11-03-08, 10:34 AM
It isn't likely, but his peripherals were great this year. His FIP+ (which is league and park adjusted) was over 120. Johnson was great last year.

Yes, sign me up for another year of that fossil. Then we can start the over/under pool on what his ERA will be. I'm going with over 5.50.

primetime714
11-03-08, 11:15 AM
No thanks on Lowe. If you're looking for Durability I think Garland is a better option. He is younger, will be cheaper, and can put up similar numbers to what you can expect from Lowe in the AL East. As a Dodger Lowe put up an ERA of about 3.6 over his 4 years there. Going from a pitcher friendly park and the weakest hitting division in baseball to the AL East you should expect about 1.0 increase in his ERA putting him somewhere around 4.5. Garland's career ERA in the AL is 4.47. However Garland is coming off a bad year so he won't get nearly as much in free agency.

I think Lowe is probably a better pitcher than Garland, but I certainly wouldn't pay the extra 3-5M year for Lowe.

I think both are lesser pitchers than Pettitte though. Pettitte in a bad year put up a 4.5 ERA in the AL East. Its really too bad Moose likely won't be back. If so bringing him and Pettitte back along with CC would give us an amazing rotation without the risks that the rest of the free agent market provide.

JfromJersey
11-03-08, 12:04 PM
No thanks on Lowe. If you're looking for Durability I think Garland is a better option. He is younger, will be cheaper, and can put up similar numbers to what you can expect from Lowe in the AL East. As a Dodger Lowe put up an ERA of about 3.6 over his 4 years there. Going from a pitcher friendly park and the weakest hitting division in baseball to the AL East you should expect about 1.0 increase in his ERA putting him somewhere around 4.5. Garland's career ERA in the AL is 4.47. However Garland is coming off a bad year so he won't get nearly as much in free agency.

I think Lowe is probably a better pitcher than Garland, but I certainly wouldn't pay the extra 3-5M year for Lowe.

I think both are lesser pitchers than Pettitte though. Pettitte in a bad year put up a 4.5 ERA in the AL East. Its really too bad Moose likely won't be back. If so bringing him and Pettitte back along with CC would give us an amazing rotation without the risks that the rest of the free agent market provide.

I agree with you on Lowe. The Yankees already have a much better sinkerball pitcher in Wang. I think Lowe would have lots of trouble pitching in the AL East.

bcom33
11-03-08, 12:07 PM
I agree with you on Lowe. The Yankees already have a much better sinkerball pitcher in Wang. I think Lowe would have lots of trouble pitching in the AL East.

Yeah, I'd definitely lean towards to the high k-rate guys, Sheets/Burnett, rather than the sinkerballer Lowe...as we've seen that in a short series, pitchers who strike out a lot of batters are the ones who win more often.

THEBOSS84
11-10-08, 10:17 AM
NoMaas likes him...I don't:

11.09.2008 NoMaas offseason idea #9: Keep it on the down Lowe

Over the last few days, more reports are stating that Mussina is heavily leaning towards retirement. If he does, that's a significant hole the Yankees need to fill in their rotation. Without Moose, the rotation only has Wang and Joba as definites for next season. Mark Feinsand of the Daily News told us that Phil Hughes is slotted in for the # 5 spot, but he's been inconsistent in his Arizona Fall League appearances so far. Some of his peripherals look good -- 9.9 K/9, 7.65 H/9 -- while some of them don't look so hot, 5.40 BB/9. Also, in his 5 AFL starts, he's only lasted past 3 innings three times. In light of this erratic performance, it's premature for the front office to pen him in as the # 5 to start the season.

http://nomaas.org/

Yankee Tripper
11-10-08, 12:27 PM

The difference between Lowe and Garland is that one of them is a good pitcher; hint his name is in the thread title.

I will gouge my eyeball out if the Yankees sign Garland. We'll I probably won't litterally gouge my eyeball out but I will not be happy if Garland is in pinstripes next year.

JfromJersey
11-10-08, 12:29 PM
If Lowe were to be the only addition to the staff, we would be in deep sh*t.
I just can't envision him having much success against the Red Sox or the Rays.

Yankee Tripper
11-10-08, 12:35 PM
Looking a Lowe's home/road splits the last 3 years, he's not as attractive as I first thought.

Even so if he is the 2nd FA pitcher we pick up after CC, I'd be pretty happy with that addition.

Agree that if he's the "best" FA pitcher we sign, 2009 may be a long year.

Tifoso
11-10-08, 12:37 PM
Looking a Lowe's home/road splits the last 3 years, he's not as attractive as I first thought.

Even so if he is the 2nd FA pitcher we pick up after CC, I'd be pretty happy with that addition.

Agree that if he's the "best" FA pitcher we sign, 2009 may be a long year.

Without question.

He's a #3, at best (particularly in the AL East).

R.V.47
11-10-08, 12:40 PM
With Lowe, it all comes down to what Moose does. If Moose retires you gotta figure we could sign Lowe for around the same amount Moose would have made this year (maybe 2 or 3 mill more and with more years probably 2 or 3). You figure Moose would have been good for maybe 13 wins next year and Lowe could probably duplicate that.

Yankee Tripper
11-10-08, 12:59 PM
Without question.

He's a #3, at best (particularly in the AL East).
I'd be very happy with the nomass projected rotation of

CC
Wang
Lowe
Pettitte (or Mussina)
Joba

with Hughes, and the other MiLBers are injury/joba innings cap insurance. The first 4 have all got to be pretty decent bets at over 200 IP.

I mean you've go a true ace and 4 guys who are at worst a #3 starter IMO.

Lets Win Again
11-11-08, 11:20 AM
CC
Wang
Burnett

And from there, I'm lost.
All I know is Joba fits comfortably into the 5th and 6th hole.

I don't want Petitte.
I don't want Moose. (I'll consider him though)

I will take Peavy though :) -

I would go witha rotation of:
(highly unlikely)

CC (it'll give his arm a better chance to come to itself every 6th day)
Peavy
Wang
Burnett (if he gets injured, shorten the rotation by 1 and you're still good, don't have to use Hughes or someone to fill it in)
Moose
Joba

siddiqi
11-11-08, 07:17 PM
At first, I didn't really think Lowe would be that great of a signing, but the more I looked into it, the more I warmed to the idea. Since it looks like Moose is retiring, having Lowe replace Moose works for me as long as the contract isn't longer than 4 years ideally only 3 years long.

JeffWeaverFan
11-11-08, 07:31 PM
With Boras as his agent and the amount of teams that are interested, he's going to command at least a 3, and most likely a 4 year deal. That's pretty risky for a 35 year old. He's a solid pitcher, but I'd prefer taking a risk on Burnett myself.

flymick24
11-11-08, 08:18 PM
power arms please

JeffWeaverFan
11-11-08, 08:24 PM
power arms please
Exactly. Give me guys that throw hard and miss bats. That's what wins in the playoffs.

flymick24
11-11-08, 08:27 PM
i appreciate lowe's ability to eat innings, but we already have a sinkerballer in wang, and with our infield D being as suspect as it is, i'd hate to have another pitcher in the same mold in the starting rotation.

plus, with lowe being so old, we don't know how much longer he can be that reliable innings eater anyhow.

i'd rather channel the money towards burnett or sheets, who hasn't seem to have gotten any attention whatsoever this off-season (which might actually be a good thing)

Yankee Tripper
11-12-08, 10:55 AM
Exactly. Give me guys that throw hard and miss bats. That's what wins in the playoffs.
Jamie Moyer and Joe Blanton don't excatly fit this definition and if I'm not mistake they will be receiving some jewlery for their October services this year.

Ynkcpt23
11-12-08, 11:11 AM
i appreciate lowe's ability to eat innings, but we already have a sinkerballer in wang, and with our infield D being as suspect as it is, i'd hate to have another pitcher in the same mold in the starting rotation.

plus, with lowe being so old, we don't know how much longer he can be that reliable innings eater anyhow.

i'd rather channel the money towards burnett or sheets, who hasn't seem to have gotten any attention whatsoever this off-season (which might actually be a good thing)

Completely agree. If we're going for pitchers that are a bit older, I'd rather sign Pettitte for one and see about Moose. Lowe hasn't pitched in the East against the newly powerful Rays and at his age he is a risk. He could be way in over his head, innings eater or no.

I'd rather sign a Burnett or Sheets--younger and more talented.

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-12-08, 12:08 PM

If Tex is signed our infield defense would be very much above average.

I'd definitely take a look at what Sheets wanted.

Yankee Tripper
11-12-08, 01:01 PM
I'd definitely take a look at what Sheets wanted.
Speculation is that the late season elbow issue may force him to settle for a 2-year deal. If that is the case Cash should absolutely take a look. A 2-year deal for Sheets or a 2+team option would good IMO.

Sheets if heathy (big if) is the 2nd best FA pitcher on the market this year.

cyhughes22
11-12-08, 05:08 PM
Speculation is that the late season elbow issue may force him to settle for a 2-year deal. If that is the case Cash should absolutely take a look. A 2-year deal for Sheets or a 2+team option would good IMO.

Sheets if heathy (big if) is the 2nd best FA pitcher on the market this year.

If Sheets is available on a 2 year deal or even a 3 year deal Cashman needs to be all over it. We had better sign him if that's the case. I'm becoming increasingly confident that CC will be a Yankee and if we could add Sheets without going too many years and now certainly at less money than if he ended the year healthy, our rotation will be pretty disgusting. Since Moose is likely retiring, the rotation looks something like this:

CC
Sheets
Wang
Joba
Pettitte

with Hughes, Aceves etc. waiting if needed.

indianyanksfan
11-12-08, 05:24 PM
sheets and cc would be what this doctor prescribes for the ailing rotation.

Yankee Tripper
11-14-08, 04:08 PM
Burnett has a four-year, $54 million offer from Toronto, while Lowe is looking for a five-year contract.

Per ESPN - if that is indeed true, please pass on both of the guys Cash.

AcidLake
11-14-08, 04:13 PM
I don't know why the Yanks are so crazy about Lowe. Last time he was in AL East, he had 5.00+ Era

yankeesrule2000
11-14-08, 04:14 PM
Per ESPN - if that is indeed true, please pass on both of the guys Cash.

I would give Burnett 4/60...I would def pass on Lowe.

Chairman-of-TheBoard
11-14-08, 05:11 PM
I've been perusing the posts on Lowe and have taken a look at his recent numbers with LA. Now, I have heard it from FAR too many media sources on the Yanks' interest in this guy. I have only one question.

Why?

I simply don't get it. In a year in which NY could legitimately net CC, AJ and Sheets, I can't fathom the attraction with Lowe. He's older, he wasn't impressive against the NL West, of all divisions, and pundits point to Lowe as someone Cashman wants to bring in to face the lineups of the AL East. I'm quite low on Hughes, but I wouldn't fault Cashman one bit for choosing Hughes for a #4 or #5 over Lowe. I hope this is speculation by the Lowe's agent to "drive his price up", because this is one move that doesn't make sense for the short or long term.

NYYDragoon
11-14-08, 05:26 PM
Per ESPN - if that is indeed true, please pass on both of the guys Cash.Seriously. The man wants a contract through his 40th? How 'bout no.

Yankee Tripper
11-14-08, 05:30 PM
, I can't fathom the attraction with Lowe.

7 straight years of 32+ starts
7 straight years between 182 - 222 IP
ERA+ 114 or better each of the last 4 years
3.33 Post Season ERA in 83.2 IP
Won G7 of 04 ALCS in 2 days rest.

What's not to understand?

I can understand not wanting him for 5 years and can entertain arguments for other pitchers ahead of him but to look at this guy like he's dirt is simply wrong.

flymick24
11-14-08, 05:32 PM
i'd offer burnett 2/20 and then another 8 mil worth of nipple jewelry

AcidLake
11-14-08, 05:37 PM
7 straight years of 32+ starts
7 straight years between 182 - 222 IP
ERA+ 114 or better each of the last 4 years
3.33 Post Season ERA in 83.2 IP
Won G7 of 04 ALCS in 2 days rest.

What's not to understand?

I can understand not wanting him for 5 years and can entertain arguments for other pitchers ahead of him but to look at this guy like he's dirt is simply wrong.

Sure, he's healthy, has been a warrior in playoffs... in '08, his home era (pitcher friendly park) was 2.30 while his road era was almost as twice as high. And the man will be 36 in June 2009 and 5 years? Please, I've been hearing people avoiding Manny because of his age

Yankee Tripper
11-14-08, 05:43 PM
Sure, he's healthy, has been a warrior in playoffs... in '08, his home era (pitcher friendly park) was 2.30 while his road era was almost as twice as high. And the man will be 36 in June 2009 and 5 years? Please, I've been hearing people avoiding Manny because of his age
You'll get no argument from me.
I like Lowe a lot on a 2 year deal.
I can live with Lowe on a 3 year deal.
I want no part of Lowe on a 4+ year deal.

AcidLake
11-14-08, 05:49 PM
You'll get no argument from me.
I like Lowe a lot on a 2 year deal.
I can live with Lowe on a 3 year deal.
I want no part of Lowe on a 4+ year deal.

Well, I don't know what you mean on the first sentence... but I am okay with 2 year with Lowe, that's for sure. I'm just not really happy with reports of him wanting 5 year deal, that's all

THEBOSS84
11-14-08, 05:53 PM
Well, I don't know what you mean on the first sentence... but I am okay with 2 year with Lowe, that's for sure. I'm just not really happy with reports of him wanting 5 year deal, that's all

That's what Boras does. He ain't getting 5 years the same way Tex isn't getting 8-10 and Manny isn't getting 6.

YanksFan1992
11-14-08, 05:54 PM
Yankees are believed to be making an offer to Lowe relatively soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3703112

Yankee Tripper
11-14-08, 06:00 PM
Well, I don't know what you mean on the first sentence... but I am okay with 2 year with Lowe, that's for sure. I'm just not really happy with reports of him wanting 5 year deal, that's allI said a number of posts back his home/road splits are troubling but I'd still be interested in him on a 2 year deal possibly 3.

We seem close to agreement as you would be OK-2 but not more.

Right?

AcidLake
11-14-08, 06:05 PM
I said a number of posts back his home/road splits are troubling but I'd still be interested in him on a 2 year deal possibly 3.

Right?

Right

Yankee Fan in Boston
11-14-08, 08:01 PM
I said a number of posts back his home/road splits are troubling but I'd still be interested in him on a 2 year deal possibly 3.

Right?

I completely agree but I bet he gets an offer for three, and that's a tough call. It makes sense to go after both Burnett and Lowe, though, and see what the market is for each

JDPNYY
11-15-08, 08:16 PM
On the day's he isn't scheduled to pitch he could go up to his broadcast booth and chat with Johnny and Suzy.

OlgMvp
11-15-08, 09:22 PM
I prefer Lowe to Burnett. I strongly dislike Burnett, I think he ONLY shows up when it benefits his wallet. Let him sign in Baltimore, go get a guy with some big game experience...Lowe.

Chairman-of-TheBoard
11-15-08, 11:29 PM

Exactly. But, I don't even want 2 years out of this guy. I would still take a "risk" on Burnett and Sheets rather than try to nab an aging pitcher on the decline. It just doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully Atlanta really wants him and offers a 4 year payday to him.

Slioman
11-16-08, 11:02 AM

His home ERA is influenced by a low BABIP and his road ERA is influenced by a high BABIP.

hongchihkuo
11-16-08, 11:15 AM
The only former Red Sox player that the Yankees should consider signing is Manny Ramirez.

NewEraYanks2527
11-16-08, 01:44 PM
The only former Red Sox player that the Yankees should consider signing is Manny Ramirez.I could not agree more.

junkman73
11-17-08, 07:44 PM
A 35 year old Lowe coming back to the AL? No thanks.

ICEBERG18
11-18-08, 12:17 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spyanks1118b,0,752877.story

flymick24
11-18-08, 12:19 AM
if they end up signing him, i wonder if they'll have a free promotional adderall giveaway day

JL25and3
11-18-08, 05:05 AM
if they end up signing him, i wonder if they'll have a free promotional adderall giveaway dayIs Lowe one of the players who has a medical exception?

If so, I'd think he'd be a valuable addition to any clubhouse.

Kearney
11-18-08, 06:41 PM
Any chance we sign CC AJ and Lowe?? Does anyone see that happening?

bcom33
11-18-08, 07:28 PM

I can't see that happening, it would just be too expensive and too risky. There's a big market for all 3 of these pitchers, and getting one of them is asking a lot. Secondly, all of the pitchers would have to want to come to the Yankees, and not one of the other many teams that are bidding for them.

C.C. we will definitely offer more money than any other team so there's a better than 50% chance he'll wind up here. If we decide to go after A.J. we probably won't blow him away, but we'll also probably be the top bid.

There is going to be a lot of competition for Lowe because he is somewhat of a safer pick at SP because of more stability in innings and injuries.

I think signing C.C., A.J. and Mussina is ideal, but it may have to be Pettitte. Even if we just sign C.C. and A.J. we still have Hughes, Aceves, and Kennedy around.

nnysiny
11-18-08, 07:44 PM
if neither Andy nor Moose comes back, sure

NelsonMuntz
11-18-08, 08:50 PM
Just say no.

NYDCYankee
11-19-08, 01:14 AM
Boras wants a Zito type package for Lowe:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8816036/Sources:-Red-Sox-interested-in-Burnett

Those who snickered when Scott Boras intimated that he wanted a six-year deal for Manny Ramirez might guffaw at this one.

Boras, according to executives with two different teams interested in Derek Lowe, is telling clubs he wants "a Zito-type contract" for the free-agent right-hander.
That's Zito, as in Barry Zito, as in seven years, $126 million.
Zito signed the deal before the season in which he turned 29. Lowe, who has averaged 208 innings and a 3.79 ERA the past seven seasons, turns 36 on June 1. Boras could not be reached Tuesday night, but he has called Lowe "the safest bet" of any free-agent pitcher.

yankeesrule2000
11-19-08, 01:16 AM
Boras wants a Zito type package for Lowe:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8816036/Sources:-Red-Sox-interested-in-Burnett

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:Silly old Scott Boras....

blumj
11-19-08, 07:05 AM
Reminding GMs of the Zito contract seems like a flawed strategy to me. But, what do I know?

justtxyank
11-19-08, 03:01 PM
John Heyman is reporting that Lowe's pricetag starts at the $16 million number that Pettitte got last season.

dont_ya_know24
11-19-08, 03:15 PM
lowe would be the same thing as pettitte now. 4.0-4.5 era. over 180 innings. lots of groundballs.

only differences are we lose a draft pick for lowe, and pettitte would sign for 1 year.

answer = no lowe.

Snatch Catch
11-19-08, 03:30 PM
lowe would be the same thing as pettitte now. 4.0-4.5 era. over 180 innings. lots of groundballs.

only differences are we lose a draft pick for lowe, and pettitte would sign for 1 year.

answer = no lowe.

I think you're selling Lowes IP about 20% short.

OldYankeeFan
11-19-08, 03:39 PM
Reminding GMs of the Zito contract seems like a flawed strategy to me. But, what do I know?

LOL, I agree. He's should be asking for more like a Jason Schmidt contract for 3/47. Opps, reminding GM's of that contract might be a flawed strategy too,

Yankee Fan in Boston
11-19-08, 03:43 PM

Except that he might not pitch as many innings if he isn't performing as well

Yankee Tripper
11-19-08, 04:11 PM
Wow, $16M floor for Lowe. That's just nuts.

Snatch Catch
11-19-08, 04:49 PM
Except that he might not pitch as many innings if he isn't performing as well

Show me a pitcher that made 34 starts and threw 180 IP.

I bet you he was never perceived as a "workhorse" in his career.

Guys who have shown the ability to repeatedly throw 210-220 IP don't just drop to 180 over a full season without an injury.

nnysiny
11-19-08, 05:09 PM
hes just adjusting for age/league

blumj
11-19-08, 06:56 PM

Well, Derek Lowe in 2004 made 33 starts and threw 182.2 IP, that's not too far off. The way he was pitching that season, you give him that one more start and maybe it doesn't last more than an inning or two, anyway. And Francona's not the quick hook type at all.

Zimmer's Helmet
11-19-08, 07:07 PM
$16 million a year for Lowe??

That's a low-bLowe...if anyone actually gives him that kind of money, my balls are going to hurt for a long, long time.

montrealer
11-19-08, 07:15 PM
phhhtt..... please..........

Yankee Fan in Boston
11-19-08, 07:19 PM

I bet you he was never perceived as a "workhorse" in his career.

Guys who have shown the ability to repeatedly throw 210-220 IP don't just drop to 180 over a full season without an injury.

My point is that, if you aren't pitching well, you are more likely to get taken out of games earlier -- and I see Lowe having less success in the AL East than in the NL West. For instance, his last year in Boston he made 33 starts and threw 182 innings.

Yankee Fan in Boston
11-19-08, 07:21 PM
Well, Derek Lowe in 2004 made 33 starts and threw 182.2 IP, that's not too far off. The way he was pitching that season, you give him that one more start and maybe it doesn't last more than an inning or two, anyway. And Francona's not the quick hook type at all.

Ooops, just saw this. And I don't think he gets 34 starts here anyway, especially if we sign CC. He won't be higher than our #3, and maybe our #4

metalboy15
11-20-08, 10:56 AM
Roto:

According to the New York Daily News, Derek Lowe "opened the free-agent bidding yesterday asking for a whopping $16 million per season."
The newspaper suggests that Lowe's asking price may force the Mets, among other teams, to reconsider targeting him. Of course, like many Scott Boras clients Lowe may eventually have to come down from his initial demands.
Source: New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/11202008/sports/mets/murphys_knee_worries_mets_139644.htm)

NelsonMuntz
11-20-08, 01:25 PM
Roto:
Thank you Scott Boras.

False1
11-20-08, 01:43 PM
Wow. Just wow. Fortunately, he's also demanding a daily bowl of ice cream be included in any deal, so we're out.